Descending
Limit Results:

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older

Re: AWESOME!!!
Oct 19, 2005, 19:57
Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 19:57
Oct 19, 2005, 19:57

Translation: You just increased our magazine sales and web traffic. Thanks for playing right into our hands.

I did not increase their magazine sales, because I did not buy their magazine, I just read the Quake 4 review briefly while I was in the bookstore. And increasing their email traffic by one email isn't terribly important. If no one challenges lousy reviews and magazines like PC Gamer then they will never improve. I will continue to tell them how bad they suck as long as they are doing reviews like I've seen the last year or so.

Re: No subject
Oct 19, 2005, 17:15
Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 17:15

I am afraid this is the exact reason why they decided to put out a title without much effort (reskin Doom). The reviews thus far are 50/50.

You are totally wrong, it is not a reskinned Doom. And as far as effort goes, I can tell by playing that they put a HUGE amout of effort into Q4.

Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 17:15

I am afraid this is the exact reason why they decided to put out a title without much effort (reskin Doom). The reviews thus far are 50/50.

You are totally wrong, it is not a reskinned Doom. And as far as effort goes, I can tell by playing that they put a HUGE amout of effort into Q4.

Oct 19, 2005, 16:38
Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 16:38
Oct 19, 2005, 16:38

I don't get the uproar over a review. It's an opinion, much like yours. Just because it is in print doesn't make it less the opinion of just one man. And just because it's negative and yours is positive doesn't make it less valid. Opinions that are negative and contrary to yours are in no way less valid than yours.

However, all opinions are less valid than mine.

Hey Beamer, is this a response to me? I did not say anyone's opinion was less valid than mine ?? What are you talking about lol.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 16:39.

Oct 19, 2005, 16:32
Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 16:32
Oct 19, 2005, 16:32

Dan Morris from PC Gamer responded to my email letter today and said this:

Thanks for your well-considered letter, Michael. We were expecting a good deal of controversy over this review.

-DRM

I won't have time to read this thread until tonight. I'm already wondering what Computer Gaming World and Game Informer magazine will say about Quake 4...

Oct 19, 2005, 03:11
Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 03:11
Oct 19, 2005, 03:11

I just sent a letter to PC Gamer about their Quake 4 review. Here is what I wrote:

I am writing to express my disdain for what I feel is an unfair review of Quake 4 in the December issue of PC Gamer. The Quake 4 review bothers me on several levels. The most irritating comment made was that Quake 4 has linear point A to point B gameplay, as if other FPS games like Half-Life 2 had totally free-roaming non-linear gameplay like Morrowind.

In Half-Life 2 you go through the Canals, through Ravenholme, through Highway 17, Nova Prospekt, etc. This is the exact same linear point A to B gameplay that Quake 4 gets criticized for. Half Life 2 manages to maintain the illusion that it is not linear by using numerous inoperable doors, blocked road ways, and walled off city areas to herd the player in a predetermined direction while making it feel nonlinear. But the reality is that the gameplay is still linear, one place to the next.

And concerning the Quake III inspired multiplayer remade with the Doom 3 engine, remember that Half-Life 2's multiplayer (at the time of release) consisted of Counter-Strike Source, which was an old game remade in a new engine, just like Quake 4's multiplayer.

The reviewer states that Quake 4 has old fashioned gameplay, as if that were a bad thing. The Quake games have always had a certain simplistic and old-fashioned gameplay style of their own which Raven wisely continued with Quake 4. Not everything new is better. To "update" or change the fundamentals of the Quake games would cause it to no longer be a Quake game for many players. And this is why the reviewer should not expect Quake 4 to be Half-Life 2 or Far-Cry.

Half-Life 2 featured gameplay that was almost exactly like Half-Life 1. The only real changes were the poorly done squad system in the later half of the game, and the vehicles. Yet that game received no criticism for many of the same elements that Quake 4 is criticized for. I enjoyed Half-Life 2, but unlike what the PC Gamer review indicated, I did not think it was GOD.

The reviewer attacks the way Quake 4 uses vehicles by making up dialogue "Other games have vehicles, so we need them too." That is an incredibly tacky and useless comment. I would have preferred to read a more mature critique of this game that I was presented with in the December issue of PC Gamer.

And I suspect that if Quake 4 was not called "Quake 4," and did not have industry legends id software involved at all, then it would have received a much different and brighter review. Anything connected with id software seems to be reviewed using a different set of rules than other games are.

The reviewer states that the Doom 3 engine is "embarrassing" when rendering outdoors areas. There were small outdoors areas in Doom 3 that I remember as being quite impressive, and what I've seen of the outdoors areas in Quake 4 is even more impressive
to my eyes. However this may be due to my lack of expertise on graphics engine design. Perhaps the reviewer should educate us with his esoteric knowledge of graphics engines.

I also think it is rather pathetic that the reviewer makes such a big deal out of the game not having bots, especially since the game focuses on single player. And if bots had been included I'm sure the reviewer would have thoroughly trashed their ineptitude. The best bots often come from mod-makers and I'm sure some will appear for Quake 4 in the future.

I feel that some of your reviewers attempt to validate their opinions using whatever asinine prose they can come up with, and totally ignore objectivity. After playing Quake 4 for several hours today, I can honestly say that your review is way off the mark, and only serves to further illustrate the increasing irrelevance of PC Gamer magazine.

-An irritated reader

P.S. Half-Life 2 can be completed in ten hours.

Oct 19, 2005, 01:00
Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 01:00
Oct 19, 2005, 01:00

Man I've been playing Quake 4 and it is freaking awesome! Better than I expected even. All PC Gamer employees need to be slapped for that review. It's a lot better than Doom 3 (and I loved Doom 3), there are no "monster closets" like everyone complained about, and the weapon sounds are GREAT. The machine gun is very nice with it's sniper zoom alternate fire, the squad mates work very nicely and are actually able to kill things, there are throwbacks to Quake 2 in abundance. There are secret areas, and lots of sheer spectacle with the war raging on around you.

It runs just like Doom3 did on my machine, I'm running at 1152 x 864 High Quality on a geforce 6600gt 128 meg card, 1 gig ram, and an old P4 2.26, and I'm getting 40-60 fps.

The game has some music in certain places that is very nice, better than anything I heard in Doom 3. The architecture and level design really reminds me of how things looked in Quake 2, and everything just looks very high quality and well designed.

Overall I think it rocks, and anyone who liked Quake 2 or Doom 3 should love this. Even if you hated Doom 3 you should give this a try because I think it is a lot better on many levels. The gameplay doesn't feel like Doom 3 at all. The game has some dark areas, but it never gets pitch black or as a dark as Doom 3, and the first two weapons have flashlights. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Re: ...
Oct 18, 2005, 20:48
Re: ... Oct 18, 2005, 20:48
Oct 18, 2005, 20:48

I have the Quake 4 Special Edition DVD and I'm installing it now... I'll post about it later if anyone is interested and/or curious.

Oct 17, 2005, 23:05
Re: No subject Oct 17, 2005, 23:05
Oct 17, 2005, 23:05

On the subject of the PC Gamer Quake 4 review, keep in mind that a 70% score in PC Gamer ranks it as 'good' on their scale.

I can never figure out why people get so upset whenever something doesn't get 9.9/10 scores.

It's not necessarily the score that bothers me, it's the way the reviewer trashes the game. He says it has old fashioned gameplay, yet a lot of people still LIKE old fashioned gameplay.

Another thing I don't get is why they gripe about the Quake III multiplayer remade with the Doom 3 engine.

Half-Life 2's multiplayer (at the time of release) consisted of Counter-Strike Source, which was an old game remade in a new engine, just like Quake 4's multiplayer.

And they complain that Quake 4 has linear point A to point B gameplay, as if other FPS games like Half-Life 2 had totally free-roaming non-linear gameplay like Morrowind or something.

In HL2 you start out in the train area, then move through buildings, then ravenholme, then the jail, then the city, the tower, etc. There is only one way to go, even when in vehicles on large looking areas. HL2 manages to hide the linear gameplay with careful level design and many blocked doorways and blocked roads, etc. But it is still basically linear. And it is just really irritating to see every FPS that comes out compared to HL2 as if everyone on the planet thinks that game was GOD. Okay I'm ranting and I'll shut up now. Actually I think I'll write PC Gamer a letter in response to their Quake 4 Review.

Re: SS2
Oct 17, 2005, 16:55
Re: SS2 Oct 17, 2005, 16:55
Oct 17, 2005, 16:55

Yes this is off topic, but I just saw the new PC Gamer magazine earlier today, and I read the Quake 4 review. They do indeed give it a 70%. But I don't care, I'm buying it tomorrow anyway.

And it says that the system requirements for Quake 4 are:

2.4 Ghz P4 768 megs RAM, Geforce Ti4800 or better.

So the system req's are a bit higher than Doom 3...

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 17:00.

Re: ET Comes To the PC
Oct 14, 2005, 11:23
Re: ET Comes To the PC Oct 14, 2005, 11:23
Oct 14, 2005, 11:23

I have been playing EA games for years and have watched them master the interactive format

Really?? Which EA game masters the interactive format? I haven't seen it.

Oct 14, 2005, 01:24
Re: No subject Oct 14, 2005, 01:24
Oct 14, 2005, 01:24

I like Valve, I like Steam, and I don't mind Gabe because I don't care, but I think Rag Doll Kungfu is the most lame looking game I've ever seen. I don't think this game should even be on Steam in the first place.

Re: Who is going to buy this?
Oct 13, 2005, 13:38
Re: Who is going to buy this? Oct 13, 2005, 13:38
Oct 13, 2005, 13:38

Wow, I have to hand it to Valve, create a mediocre game (HL2) that is riding the coat-tail of a great game (HL1) to get a huge captive audience, then get exclusive rights to distribute 3rd party games (with a nice cut I'm sure) and force buyers to use their proprietary STEAM technology to purchase these games.

Amen, I totally agree.

I smell subscription in STEAM's future when Valve gets enough game dev's using their technology. I don't think this is a good thing for the future of PC Gaming. Just my opinion however.

If Steam ever becomes "pay per month" they can shove it up their ass.

Re: Lotta posts...
Oct 13, 2005, 02:23
Re: Lotta posts... Oct 13, 2005, 02:23
Oct 13, 2005, 02:23

Damn I just entered my 900 year old CD-Key for Half Life 1 and got the Premium pack unlocked including both HL1 mission packs and more. That is really nice, Steam rocks in my opinion, even if it isn't perfect. It's nice that they are improving it and I hope they get the "friends" stuff fixed.

Re: false announcement
Oct 12, 2005, 16:28
Re: false announcement Oct 12, 2005, 16:28
Oct 12, 2005, 16:28

Man Tron 2.0 was a cool game. It wasn't a very GOOD game... butI really thought it was cooool. They should make another one.

As for the Quake 4 demo, Doom 3 didn't have a demo until after it released... or wait ... did Doom 3 ever get a demo??? I don't remember ever seeing one.

id / Raven probably know that their fans will buy Quake 4, and the id haters will not, and so they aren't worrying about a demo right now.

Or maybe they don't want the internet Hate it / Love it Q4 shitfest to begin before the game is even released.
Or maybe Raven dropped the ball and Quake 4 sucks, which I hesitate to say since I am normally a mindless id fan, but it is possible
I would buy it just for the deathmatch, the video makes it looks like more Quake 3 Arena and I'm all for that. Getting tired of CS:S.

If I change my name do I lose my post history? I might even like that.

Keeping my name for now,
-Toad

Oct 12, 2005, 16:14
Re: No subject Oct 12, 2005, 16:14
Oct 12, 2005, 16:14

I wish more companies had games for sale via something like Steam. Then maybe I could get Serious Sam II. And there are lots of older games that are impossible to find (even on amazon) that companies could sell via download. Steam is good. I like Steam. More Steam. Steam is Good.

-Toad

Re: Gamespot review
Oct 12, 2005, 01:40
Re: Gamespot review Oct 12, 2005, 01:40
Oct 12, 2005, 01:40

I went into Lamestop today looking for Serious Sam II and they didn't have a single copy in store, and have not ordered any. WHAT THE HELL ???
so yeah im stealing "Lamestop" from whoever invented that, hope ya don't mind
They have a four foot poster for Quake 4 hanging from the ceiling along with four oversized Quake 4 pre-order boxes, they have Call of Duty 2 pre-order boxes, they have Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion boxes out for pre-order, even though it doesn't come out for well over a MONTH, but Serious Sam II does not exist as far as my local Lamestop is concerned. I wish I could just pay the 30 bux and download it ala Steam. Death to Lamestop. Bring the pitchforks and other dangerous looking medieval weapons.

Why the hell did I make my screen name "Celestial Toad" anyway?
-Toad

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 01:45.

Re: PC Gamer Quake 4 review
Oct 10, 2005, 22:53
Re: PC Gamer Quake 4 review Oct 10, 2005, 22:53
Oct 10, 2005, 22:53

I've been searching google and I can't find complete text from the review anywhere, but I found this which is supposedly from the PC Gamer review.

As much as it pains me to say it, there isn't a single fresh idea in Quake 4. Gameplay is a Frankenstein's monster of bits and pieces from earlier games stitched together into a serviceable lump that may satisfy lovers of pure shooting mayhem, but is all stuff we've seen many times before. Worse, the borrowed parts were moldy to begin with. Graphics play heavily into Quake 4's multiplayer mode, which is essentially a "Best Of" Quake II and III's multiplayer gameplay (and maps). made-over, courtesy of the Domo 3 engine, into "The Longest Day," while "The Edge" (from QII) is now "Over the Edge" and Q3's last map, "The Very End of You", has been reimagined as "Xaero Gravity". All told, there are five multiplayer modes: Deathmatch (9 maps), Team Deathmatch, Tourney (1v1ranked competitions on DM maps), CTF (5 maps), and Arena CTF. The style is pure Q3 - fast action, lots of power ups (Quad Damage, Haste) and the single-player's limp Blaster gets the boot in favor of the razor-bladed Gaunlet for humiliation kills.

may satisfy lovers of pure shooting mayhem
Sounds good so far.

but is all stuff we've seen many times before.
Yes and I LOVED IT when I saw it before. Thank you.

Graphics play heavily into Quake 4's multiplayer mode
And that's wrong because ???

is essentially a "Best Of" Quake II and III's multiplayer gameplay (and maps).
Sounds perfect.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 22:55.

PC Gamer Quake 4 review
Oct 10, 2005, 22:13
PC Gamer Quake 4 review Oct 10, 2005, 22:13
Oct 10, 2005, 22:13

PC Gamer review? PC Gamer UK or PC gamer US ???? What did they say about it??

Re: One...
Oct 10, 2005, 17:32
Re: One... Oct 10, 2005, 17:32
Oct 10, 2005, 17:32

I think a lot of people would pay more for serious sam 2...

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older