Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Celestial Toad

Real Name Celestial Toad   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email ansath@hotmail.com
Description Drafter / CAD Operator / Art Student
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2004, 03:52
Total Comments 214 (Novice)
User ID 20952

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Released
118. Re: Yeah, I played it. Nov 1, 2005, 09:14 Celestial Toad

So I'm playing Lost Coast and I keep getting killed by that damned helicopter. HDR is cool. Gabe Newell is fat. No, I can't make any intelligent comments right now. I wish id or Raven would release their own version of Steam and provide us with a new Quake 4 level showcasing HDR or some other newfangled technology. That would be cool. I bet they are working on the Quake 4 expansion. I hope. Please. Please.

But anyway, to sum it all up,, Steam is cool,,, Lost Coast is pretty,,,, Gabe Newell is fat,,,,, and I'm going to bed now. Amen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Delayed
36. Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 09:09 Celestial Toad

dammit

99. Re: Yeah, I played it. Oct 30, 2005, 14:51 Celestial Toad

Oh SHIT, he said facetious, *Breaks out the dictionary*

96. Re: Lost Coast Oct 29, 2005, 18:07 Celestial Toad

When I run Lost Coast and use the grav gun, I have this weird vertical line going up and down from the crosshair. It's only on the grav gun too. Any idea what the hell this is? Maybe I should go back to Quake 4.

Framing my id Software Shareholder's certificate,
CT

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Quake 4
297. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 29, 2005, 18:05 Celestial Toad

Celestial Toad is framing his id software shareholder's certificate

LOL I wish...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Lost Coast Next Week
95. Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 22:52 Celestial Toad

Damn I might just have to play through HL2 again when this comes out... now why don't they hurry up and release Aftermath????

282. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 08:43 Celestial Toad

Considering I went on to point this out, your response is useless.

No actually you didn't really point that out, and if you thought your price assessment was useless when you wrote it, then why did you write it in the first place?

your assertion that the level design based upon that is equally useless, eh?

No actually if they chose to make the demo a "mishmash" of the game then they must have chosen what they thought were some good parts of the game, and therefore the demo is very representative of the overall level design. And I think it sucks. But again that's my opinion.

been here arguing nonstop with those of us that aren't interested in it.

No actually I've merely been offering a counterpoint OPINION of Quake 4 in response to those who blast the game relentlessly and talk about other games like FEAR as being superior. (to them)

Just because something is based on something old does not mean it shouldn't advance. Hey, Peter Jackson is remaking King Kong. I guess he should use the same technology for the special effects, right? Updating would be bad, eh?

Your analogy doesn't really work because the special effects have nothing to do with the gameplay. Quake 4 uses the Doom 3 engine, which is not old special effects, so your analogy is useless.

I did not have low expectations for Quake 4. I had very high expectations, and it exceeded them for me.

No one cares

If no one cares then why are you posting in response to me? And why is this thread nearly 300 posts long now? And why do you continue to ignore certain parts of my posts while focusing on whatever lines you think you can best argue against?

Every single post you've made is knocking other games in an attempt to prove that Quake 4 is the best game you've ever played.

No, as I've now said twenty-three thousand times, I'm stating my opinion of Quake 4 and my opinion of the other games, as a counterpoint to some of the negativity about the game that comes up here. It's okay for people to blast it, but if someone defends it then we can't have that can we?

refusal to admit maybe some parts of Q4 aren't as much fun as they could be

You don't read very carefully do you? I wrote this line in my last post:

Quake 4 is not repetitive until the last few levels, where it kind of feels like they tried to drag it out a little too long just to make it longer

For someone so incredibly concerned with how useless the opinions of reviewers are you're very concerned with me believing your opinion of the game as being proper.

I didn't say the reviewers opinions were useless. Again, you don't read carefully. I said that the reviewer's opinions are not more valuable than anyone else's because their thoughts are printed in a magazine or website.

You're overblowing the game to the point that no game could live up to it.

No actually I just wrote my "overblown" opinion of the game, and I said repeatedly that I'm probably not objective about it since I loved Quake 2 and Doom 3 so much. But go ahead and continue to ignore all of that.

And I was blasting F.E.A.R., but that was also my opinion, and I was mostly just responding to people who posted a short mindless message stating how F.E.A.R. was the best, blah blah blah, and someone is insane to think Quake 4 is better, etc.

CT
Quake 4 is BETTER, no F.E.A.R. is BETTER, no HL2 is BETTER, no Far-Cry is BETTER, no BF2 is BETTER, etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 08:45.

280. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 01:38 Celestial Toad

If I recall, you've mentioned reviews constantly. Maybe it wasn't you, but I believe it was.

No actually I never mention reviews until someone else does, and only then as a counterpoint to whatever other reviews are used in the discussion.

And I don't care about formatting. If italics are too hard, well, try harder.

I was trying to be nice and let you learn something I just learned, but I guess you can't handle that. I also find it interesting that you have used the quotation command in this latest post of yours even though you say you don't care about formatting.

I also don't think FEAR is worth $50, maybe $30. Q4 I'd peg around $10.

Considering the fact that you've never even played Quake 4, that makes your price assessment 100% useless.

I haven't played it and will wait for a demo, but the movies were unimpressive. Levels looked dull, AI looked mindless.

Oh sure, you can tell SO MUCH about the A.I. from watching a 60 second video. And as I've stated before, the Quake monsters should engage you in a straight up frontal fight, especially a Quake 2 sequel, which is exactly what they do. I'm playing through Quake 4 on the fourth difficulty now, and I've seen monsters roll forward, duck, strafe, run away, take cover, work together with their firing angles, jump around doorways to get me when I'm crouching, flank me, and come up behind me. Raven should have hired you to write the A.I. code for Quake 4 and I'm sure it would have been vastly superior.

And I can tell you all about how dull the levels are. I'm on my second time through the game now, and boy are the level designs really dull. In fact I haven't seen or played levels this dull in years. I'm seriously bored with the levels, I mean, there is just nothing impressive in any of them. They mostly consist of low geometry BSP and lots of right angles in the boxlike corridors and completely flat 1996-esque environments. I don't know how I'm making myself go through it this second time with these dull levels... please... spare yourself and don't ever play these dull levels.

The videos are the number one reason I bought the game. I thought they kicked ass. But again, spare yourself from the terrible game that is Quake 4 and indulge in your F.E.A.R. nonsense or Far Cry or whatever the hell you want to play.

FEAR at least has AI, one of the most important things to me

I didn't see any great A.I. going on in the demo. Nothing noticeably better or even equal to what I've seen the Strogg do in Quake 4.

but all the reviews say the levels are nearly as repetitive as Doom 3, which means the best AI in the world likely couldn't keep me interested enough to finish the game.

Quake 4 is not repetitive until the last few levels, where it kind of feels like they tried to drag it out a little too long just to make it longer... but the first three fourths of the game really has variety and each area is unique, different vehicles, different objectives, changing/upgraded weapons, new monsters, new player attributes... so it isn't repetitive even if you are blasting the hell out of Strogg all the time.

And when the Quake 4 demo comes out, you aren't going to like anything about it. No matter how good it is. Why? Because you've already decided that you don't like this game, you're not objective about it at all, and your thoughts of the game as you play it will probably be affected negatively by all the bitching and drivel on this ever continuing written pissing contest about Quake 4. And sadly I have contributed to it. That being said, I'm going to return to playing Quake 4 on the 4th difficulty level, blasting Strogg, and occasionally playing the multiplayer. You go do whatever makes you happy and we will just agree to disagree about this game.
even though you are totally wrong about it
Amen.

CT

274. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2005, 19:53 Celestial Toad

Ok I just played it a third time. It has aiming zoom from Call of Duty, it has slow motion from Max Payne, it has the scary little girl from The Ring, it has lame boxy level design with bump mapping and overused particle effects. It has weak gun sounds and boring weapons. I don't like it. But if you think it's worth 50 dollars go for it.

273. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2005, 19:37 Celestial Toad

To sing Quake 4's praises to the heavens while conversely slagging FEAR for having no value is hardly indicative of an objective view. I have played some of both games, and the BOTH are pretty damn cool. I am liking FEAR just a little bit more right now, but that could change.

I have written probably ten times already that my OPINION of Quake 4 is my OPINION, and I also wrote that my objectivity may have been somewhat compromised by my love of Quake 2 and Doom 3. And the F.E.A.R. demo left me wondering what the hell all the fuss is about, since it looked pretty lame to me.

That being said, I am intrigued by some of the F.E.A.R. screenshots. Maybe the game gets better as it goes, but my first impression of it was very negative. I guess I'll go ahead and give the F.E.A.R. demo a third attempt... more later.

Especially as most of his complaints about FEAR are the critics complaints about Q4.

I don't give a damn what any critic on the planet thinks about anything. Their opinions are not more valuable than anyone else's just because their thoughts are printed in some mass produced magazine or some website. And yes that includes me and what I'm posting to this thread.

By the way Beamer, I just figured out that if you use q [ when quoting instead of the i [ it will make the post easier to read because of the indentation of the quotes... try it.

CT
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 19:39.

269. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2005, 14:18 Celestial Toad

AI.

Sorry, but good AI is not enough reason for me to spend 50+ dollars on a game... Q4 has good enough AI for me. I played it on 3rd difficulty and I got killed about three or four hundred times on the way through.

266. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2005, 04:42 Celestial Toad

I liked the ending, it promised more to come, and was better than the Quake 2 or Doom 3 endings. Besides the focus is the game itself, not the ending.

I have attempted to play the F.E.A.R. single player demo twice now, and I quit both times. I don't see anything about it that deserves my time. The graphics are nice except for the low poly counts and the boring design of that demo level. It looks like the same shit I've seen a million times. There were some serious glitches going on with the demo because my sound didn't work and the pistol muzzle flash was misplaced or late. I've always thought Monolith engines were rather second rate, glitchy, and feel cobbled together instead of rock solid. But I'm sure everyone else's copy runs absolutely perfectly and everything. So I'm not going to buy or play F.E.A.R. And I don't give a damn what anyone thinks I've played the demo twice and it doesn't deserve my time. I almost bought Serious Sam II until the second demo came out. It's just a little too retarded and repetitive for my taste.

I think the graphics and level design are lame. The particle effects, bump mapping are nice, the lighting is decent, but the level geometry and design are mediocre at best.

I played it on the third difficulty and I cheated on the last level because it was just frustrating and I was getting tired. I'm off to multiplayer now. I'm going to play it again later but not right now.

261. Re: What the hell? Oct 22, 2005, 01:00 Celestial Toad

I'm an FPS connoisseur. I've played them all.
I LIKE QUAKE 4 SO JUST LEAVE ME ALONE GOD DAMN IT ALL TO HELL.
Yeah like everyone else here has just played three or four FPS games. Get Real. I've been playing them since the genre was created. I played Catacombs 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Half-Life... Sin, I even played all the lesser played games like ROTT Rise of the Triad, Strife, countless others. I haven't limited myself to Shooters though, I've played many other types of games using 3D engines like Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and other innovative games that pushed the 3D gaming genre forward until in made 2D obsolete. I've played damn near every PC shooter ever made that was worth anything. (except your precious fear.) Before the PC 3D shooters were around I was playing some of the first 3D arcade games that used low resolution wireframes with no texturing at all. Most of the people who post here have been playing shooters games a very long time also, so don't kid yourself into thinking you are the one and only "Shooter Connoisseur." And I've done a lot more than play games, I've made a few levels for UT2003, UT2004, and I have been making levels since Wolfenstein 3D came out in 1991. I made levels for Doom, Quake 1,2, and 3, Unreal ,UT, and my last one was for UT2004. Here is a link to a review of my the last map I made before I had time to work on them anymore. Yes it got a 4.5 out of 10, but before you start telling me it sucks download it and play it, then make your own damn UT2004 level, upload it to Insite, get it reviewed with a higher score, and prove it is yours. And my name is Michael Alan Niblett in case you have any uncertainties.

http://insite.beyondunreal.com/map.php?id=1137

And I just can't understand anyone who played as many FPS as I have and say that Quake 4 is better than FEAR.
Again, get real. I guarantee I have played as many and quite possibly more 3D engine PC games (not just shooters)
as anyone here has.
Quake 4 is completely derivative.
Yeah like F.E.A.R. is so totally original with the "Ring" movie ripoff scary little girl with black hair. Even the PC Gamer Review (who agress with you) says in the cons section that F.E.A.R. is too obviously derivative of it's "key influences." Perhaps you should read that review if you put so much faith in someone else's mass produced textual opinion.
If you read, watch, and learn enough about art and science you will begin to understand that all artists and musicians and even scientists and mathematicians are inspired and build upon work that others have already done. Sir Isaac Newton once said that:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Very little is totally original. Pretty much everything draws from various influences, whether they be books, movies, or real life experiences. People build upon and improve other's work, add a bit of their own creative energy to it, and then someone comes along who has not read or seen very much and in their ignorance they think the work is totally new and original when it is not.
I'm not saying nothing is original, but a lot of great work starts out with being inspired to create by seeing, experiencing, and understanding other great work that exists.
If you see something like F.E.A.R. and think it is totally original it is because you just don't know what the creators were inspired by when they made it. It may have some original aspects or pieces that were collaged from different sources until they appeared new, but most of it is not new.
Not only does it not do anything new, but none of its aspects are done better than average in the genre. The only new thing you see in the game is that you can upgrade some weapons.
You just contradicted yourself in two sentences. Congratulations. And actually upgrading weapons is not new. System Shock 1 and System Shock 2, Pariah, and Unreal both featured upgradable weapons. So judging by your own statements I can tell you have not played anywhere near as many shooters as you claim to have played.
You don't see that in FPS very often.
I thought you just said it was new? Make up your mind.
That's about the only positive thing you can say that quake 4 has over FEAR.
Actually I can say that damn near everything about Quake 4 interests me more than FEAR. And that is my opinion due to the fact that I am a Shooter Connoisseur (TM).
But fear has much better graphics,
No actually what I saw of F.E.A.R. in the demo, screenshots, and videos indicates to me that it has vastly inferior graphics due to the simplistic level design and low detail environments. There are far too many low geometry areas to start bragging about the graphics.
much better AI (makes quake 4's AI look like the AI in doom), better sound, better music. It's insane to think that quake 4 is better than FEAR. Completely insane.
Better sound and better music are almost entirely subjective. I think Quake 4 has fantastic weapons sounds, and opinions about music differ with each person, and that makes your statement worthless. As far as the A.I. the A.I. is made to resemble Quake 2 were it is just a straight up fight with legions of Strogg running at you. The monsters in Quake 4 will take cover, work together, flank you, move behind you, jump around doors and shoot you while you are standing beside a door, and a lot of other impressive things that you won't see unless you play all the way through the game on third or fourth difficulty.
Games like Quake don't necessarily need genius A.I. to work. Serious Sam has some braindead A.I. and it works fine. Quake is not a tactical simulation or some semi-realistic firefight game like counter-strike source. It has an arcade feel at times and is designed to be fun rather than ultra serious.
And my opinion regarding Quake 4 and F.E.A.R. does not make me insane, it means that I have a different opinion. If you like FEAR better fine, play it all you want. I'll take the first two hours of Quake 4 over all of FEAR and any other game monolith has made. Speaking of Monolith, I have played SHOGO, Blood, Blood 2, Tron 2.0, NOLF 1 and 2, and AvP 1 and 2. The only ones I really liked were Blood 1, Shogo, and Tron 2.0.
Quake completely rides the coatails of its legendary name.
It's rather sad you can't come up with something original to say because that line has been used twice on this thread already. I at least created the originator Tron for that line. And it really didn't matter how excellent Quake 4 was, just the fact that it has three legendary games before it means it can't be as good to some people.
If Quake 4 was the first quake game and nobody ever heard of ID and Raven, the game would be a dud coming after HL2, Far Cry, and FEAR.
You don't know that. You can pretend to be the gaming Nostradamus all you want, but in reality you don't know what would have happened if Quake 4 had been called something else and had been released by a different developer. Or what would have happened if no one had seen Quake 2 or 3 before.
If Quake 4 came from Monolith or some unheard of developer PC Gamer would be licking their ass with a 95% rating just to encourage them to make more games and challenge the big developers since this helps the entire industry. Competition among FPS makers only means the games will get better and I believe the PC Gamer people understand this.
Reviewers agree with me.
Maybe PC Lamer agrees with you but other "reviewers" (I assume you mean reviewers from established paper publications or websites as if their opinions were more valuable than someone posting on a site such as this one.) disagree. Check these out:
{5/5 PC Magazine
A must have. It provides a beautifully fluid and engaging first-person-shooter experience.
100 Detroit Free Press
The vehicles really set Quake apart from its cousin "Doom," as levels with vehicles almost always involve huge outdoor areas swarming with bad guys.
90 Cheat Code Central
Quake 4 is not pretentious. It's a hardcore shooter in which you don't have to be a hardcore gamer to experience.
90 Adrenaline Vault
Quake 4 really delivered on all fronts for me in terms of purely frenetic gameplay. I jumped at the cutscenes, I cried out expletives when I was getting owned by the Strogg, I gasped when the storyline took a major plot twist, and I was moved by the stunningly beautiful graphics.
89 Console Gold
A great extension of the "Quake 2" storyline. While there are certainly flaws in the single player and multiplayer, the game’s fantastic visuals and engaging storyline make it a worthy addition.
88 Game Informer
Quotation forthcoming. [Nov 2005]

And yes you can find lots of negative reviews, and probably more negative than positive, but they are all just opinions (read that last word again) and mean no more or less than my opinion about Quake 4.
CT
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 01:50.

240. Re: Why aren't you playing FEAR? Oct 21, 2005, 09:30 Celestial Toad

No offense, Toad, but your last post has gone from "it's a good game and I like it" to "it's a work of art and I will slaughter all those whom oppose it."

Where in my post did I say it was a work of art?
Where in my post did I say I will slaughter all those who oppose it?

Claiming you've been sickened, saddened and angered makes you a bit of a zealot.

No actually I was just telling you what have experienced while playing the game. I didn't say anyone else was going to feel the same way. I even said that I may not be entirely objective about it since I loved Quake 2 and Doom 3 so much, but you kindly ignored that line.

considering it's a game setting out to do none of the above.

When did the game developers state that Quake 4 did not set out to do any of what I stated that I experienced while playing it?

You're treating it like Tumbler once treated BF2. Especially as you saw fit to knock every single major FPS to come out recently.

No I saw fit to tell exactly what I personally thought of every major FPS to come out recently. That's my opinion.

You couldn't say "there have been some good games, and Q4 is one of them."

No because that is a useless and vapid assertation. I wanted to say something that expresses my personal opinion about this game while maintaining that I may not be entirely objective about it. And that's exactly what I did.

Instead you got defensive

I usually don't have to get defensive on this board until you start writing.

and knocked all the other games in an attempt to loft Q4 above them.

Actually I lifted Quake 4 up with a statement of my personal opinion about it before I ever mentioned the other games. And my opinion of Quake 4 has no relationship to my opinion of the other games. I was mainly responding to other posts by other people on this thread who think that Far Cry, HL2, and FEAR are so vastly superior that no one should consider Quake 4. I respect their opinion but not everyone agress with that.

A sign of fanboyism. A term I hate, but I calls it likes I sees it.

I am an id fanboy, but not necessarily a Raven fanboy. I hated both Soldier of Fortune games and wasn't terribly thrilled with Jedi Academy. Even if I am a "fanboy" that does not necessarily mean that you should disregard everything I say about a game from id or whoever I am a "fanboy" of. If id or Raven put out a game I think is lacking I will say so.

I thought the Quake 3 Team Arena expansion sucked badly and that was made by id. And I thought that the Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil was boring, a retread, and offered almost nothing new over Doom 3, and was actually inferior to Doom 3 in some ways. id had some input into the Doom 3 expansion even though they did not make it.

Even if my objectivity has been affected by my love of Quake 2 and Doom 3, as I said in my post, remember that I just paid 65 (with tax) dollars for the Quake 4 Special Edition DVD and I guarantee I would bitch and complain loudly if it did not meet and exceed my expectations as it has.

CT

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Patch
74. Re: You know something Oct 20, 2005, 22:36 Celestial Toad

Already a patch? Didn't it come out all of 3 days ago? Wait I thought this game got 92% in PC Gamer? They must not be concerned with these tiny technical issues since Monolith is a second-tier developer.

233. Re: Why aren't you playing FEAR? Oct 20, 2005, 22:34 Celestial Toad

Dear Overon, I'm not sure if I should waste time responding to your tactless and pointless comments, but here I go.

Honestly I don't understand how a game like quake 4 can come out and people can keep a straight face while playing it.

You're right, I haven't kept a straight face while I've been playing. I've been amazed, thilled, impressed, scared, sickened, angered, and saddened by the plot, gameplay, graphics, sound, music, level design, combat, and pretty much everything else.

It's completely inferior in every regard and it suffers from consolitis.

I think that is the most amusing thing I've read in months. I honestly doubt you have even played Quake 4, and if you have played it and then wrote that then you must suffer from having-your-head-shoved-up-your-ass-itus.
There is nothing even remotely console like in this game, and after playing it for about eight hours, I honestly think is superior to any other 3D shooter ever made. But since I loved Quake 2 and Doom 3 so much I may not be entirely objective. My opinion of the game has gotten better as I've played deeper into it.

I really thought that Raven would do something more with the engine. But they did what ID software would do.

That is about the highest compliment you could pay Raven, to say that they did what id Software would do, and I think they would thank you for saying that.

They made a game that is completely uninspired and derivative and it is inferior in almost every way to games like HL 2, FEAR, and Far Cry.

To quote what someone else on this site said recently, Half Life 2 was a mediocre game riding on the coattails of a great game. F.E.A.R looks like more second rate crap from Monolith (I played the demo), and other than the great outdoor graphics and enviroments, I was not impressed with Far Cry due to it's tired gameplay elements, lacking plot, poor voice acting, repetitiveness, and boring weapons.

And I can see that game reviews are not licking the asses of ID and Raven and instead telling their readers that quake 4 is not a leader in the genre.

If you are speaking of PC Gamer, they have their heads shoved so far up Valve's ass they can no longer see any other game properly. Take their recent F.E.A.R review and Quake 4 reviews as evidence. I have not yet seen other magazine reviews of Quake 4, and most online reviews I've seen hover around 85%. Which considering that this game is related to id in some way, that roughly translates as 105% going by the standard most other games are put to.

It's not the leader in graphcis [sic] or gameplay or storytelling. Usually ID/Raven games are leaders in graphics. But quake 4 has been surpassed.

Actually Doom 3 has not been surpassed for indoors graphics. And since Quake 4 pushes the Doom 3 engine even farther(further) ((depending on your taste)).

CT

209. Re: Why aren't you playing FEAR? Oct 20, 2005, 08:26 Celestial Toad

Why are people even considering playing Q4 when F.E.A.R. was just released?

Because I played the F.E.A.R. demo and I really thought it SUCKED HARD. thank you.

FEAR is fucking phenomenal, second only to Half-Life 2.

I would put Half-Life 2 well below Quake 4 in my list of my favorite games to play, so that doesn't make FEAR very high on my list...

GO BUY FEAR NOW and quit wasting your time on a TIRED genre-game made by a second-tier game developer.

I like tired Genre-games, and I like second tier developers. Thanks again.

iD is dead. I know Raven made this game, but I predict that this game is the beginning of the end for those boys. They have two major properties, Doom and Quake, and they've released disappointing installments to those series in the last year. It's becoming more and more obvious that John Carmack is in fact mortal and is incapable of being the leader that iD needs.

Right. I'm sure they're going to cancel Quake Wars and the new Wolfenstein game being developed at Raven, and id is going to cancel their new game based on a new IP (imagine that) just because you said so.

sigh... why does everyone hate id so much. It makes me sad *runs away sobbing*

*comes back carrying old-fashioned shotgun*

Why can't we hate Valve and make fun of Gabe Newell for being a fatass instead? At least Carmack looks like he keeps himself in decent shape.

I hate saying this, but I honestly think that iD lost a chunk of their soul when Romero left.

I think id got lot better when John Romero was FIRED.

Read the book Masters of Doom, Romero was fired and did not want to leave. And what the hell has he done that was worth half a shit since he left? Daikatana or cell phone games? id did Quake 3 Arena and Doom 3, and were involved with Return to Wolfenstein and Quake 4. That's pretty damned good work with no Romero if you ask me.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 08:27.

202. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2005, 00:10 Celestial Toad

I will go a step further and say that Doom 3 was my primary reaction. The game looks so similar to Doom 3 that I just got the feeling Raven could not move out of the Doom 3 engine, making me suspect that the gameplay could not move out of Doom 3, or that Raven was too lazy/unoriginal to make something unique, further giving me question about the overall quality and effort. Though I respect its ability to put out competent games on a timely basis, I am not particularly enamored with what I describe as Raven's cookie-cutter game approach.

Ray...

The game does NOT play like Doom 3. It doesn't play anything at all like Doom 3. There are no monster closets anywhere. It plays very similar to Quake 2, has a few vehicle levels which are very fun, and has some squad combat like COD.

There are places indoors where it looks like Doom 3, but the Strogg architecture is consistently similar to Quake 2. Besides screenshots don't do it justice, you have to play it some.

It even has a lot of the same monsters from Quake 2, the gunner, gladiator, and berzerker being the most obvious. There are several new monsters also. Everywhere in this game from the strogg logos to the architecture you see references or resemblences to Quake 2. There are things like the single marine landing pod you find that looks very similar to Quake 2's intro level.

That being said, it does have a lot of very cool new stuff, and when you actually play some of the levels, they are built in a way that really reminds me of Quake 2 more than Doom 3.

I also think Q4 displays a higher level of quality than the usual Raven cookie cutter game. I will agree that Raven does make "cookie cutter" games from time to time, but this is really better than those were.

I'm sure they will release a demo at some point just be patient

And for anyone who is curious, the Quake 2 part of the Special Edition installs perfectly under Windows XP, they made a new installer for it that installs Quake 2 and both expansions automatically, and sets up icons for each. It's very nice.

Dr Evil...

id was very involved in the making of Quake 4 although Raven did "make" the game if you want to get technical.

And if you played only two levels how can you be sick of the entire game? You haven't seen anything yet... The game picks up steam and gets better and better so you are missing out if you don't play more into it.

CT

201. Re: My favorite thing Oct 19, 2005, 23:56 Celestial Toad

My favorite thing about Q4 is how you can't turn the music off without turning all audio off! Thanks iD for this wonderful innovation. After all, who wouldn't want to listen to industrial noise all the time?

Actually you can turn off the music in the config file if you look for the right line and set it to "0"

And the music in Quake 4 is not industrial noise. The game has some very nice atmospheric music in places, and some rock n' roll music in places, but nowhere have I heard what I would call "industrial." And I really like some industrial music like Sonic Mayhem, so I don't consider it to be noise.

190. Re: AWESOME!!! Oct 19, 2005, 20:02 Celestial Toad

I agree with CT that Half Life 2 has had forty million years of sunshine blown up its ass, when in fact, it does the same tired old shit that a lot of other shooters do as well.

ROTFLMAO !!

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo