Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anthony Hunt

Real Name Anthony Hunt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Arithon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software Developer. Film fan. Father of two.
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2004, 09:47
Total Comments 147 (Novice)
User ID 20899

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2
6. Re: Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2 May 26, 2016, 10:01 Arithon

Bundy wrote on May 26, 2016, 09:39:
I am gonna take that the wrong way.

"That's what she said" Aaaaand goodnight.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2
3. Re: Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2 May 26, 2016, 04:01 Arithon

The Alpha is REALLY good and very stable, but it's more like early Minecraft right now. There's a lot you can do, but no game as yet.

The Alpha is a bit steep unless you are enthusiastic about theme park games. But the pre-order of 20 is well worth a punt.

When I have been playing the Alpha - don't take this the wrong way - my wife likes to watch! It is a very pretty game and creatively, the sky's the limit.

Put it on your wishlist and watch some of the YouTube videos the community has been posting. They put my Alton Towers replica to shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTp02wh6ZpI

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

News Comments > VIVE Pre Changes
10. Re: VIVE Pre Changes Jan 6, 2016, 06:49 Arithon

I'm glad they've improved the design of the headset, as it was heavy and hot to wear. Straps and other adjustments take care of factors like my big head and large nose. That's easy.

The problem for me is the giant (size of a squared-off coffee cup) PIR sensors. Now they've said these are now smaller and less noisy (noisy?!) and can be tripod mounted.
But that is hopelessly impracticable for anyone who doesn't have a dedicated VR room or a huge amount of space around their PC (which I don't).

Until they come up with something that doesn't require 15sq ft of space, or huge wall-mounted "lighthouses" then the Vive has to remain off my list.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 11:42 Arithon

That's an over-estimate even based on the numbers sold to retailers.

Everyone I knew who played the Beta on PC has said "it's okay but not worth 50. Wait for a sale".

Me included.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access
20. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 04:12 Arithon

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 03:34:
Master of idiocy, keep rationalizing away. The game could have and was supposed to work offline, period. He lied, so quit trying to stick up for the guy. And no, the DLC isn't free. Each one coming out will be $60US. That's insanely overpriced, but he has to charge it because he broke his promise. Jesus, you're just dumber than a sack full of hammers aren't you?
Offline mode: Offline was NEVER a promised feature. The game was ALWAYS sold as an online multiplayer game. Anyone who says different is lying or is misled. Read the Kickstarter proposal. This was something Frontier said they would "try" if it was at all possible when asked by people in the forums during the Alpha, but in the end it proved prohibitive in terms of development resource to parallel develop server side and a server emulator. Most of the people blowing FUD in forums or with an axe to grind about Elite usually start with this one and always get the facts wrong. As a Kickstarter backer who wanted an offline mode, I looked into this a lot more than you have, clearly.

Horizons has been available to existing player for some time at 30/$45, not $60 - that's the "full game" price for a new player. Horizons is somewhere between a season pass and a new game. But it is optional. You don't have to have it to play Elite. Anyone who has bought Horizons will get a years worth of updates. No, it isn't "free" but if you've bought Horizons, then all the updates coming in the next year will be issued to Horizons owners without further charge. Also, a lot of the updates in the coming year will also apply to the core game (outside Horizons) so these are free to everyone who bought Elite at any level. This will continue for the next decade.

Horizons was released yesterday - NOT EARLY ACCESS, BLUE YOUR HEADLINE IS WRONG - Horizons was shipped after several weeks of beta, where 6 major updates were issued to address bugs and player feedback.

News Comments > DICE Starting "The Next Battlefield"
50. Re: DICE Starting Dec 14, 2015, 04:03 Arithon

Electric-spoc has the right of it.

Regardless of it's few flaws, BF2 was the pinacle of the BattleField franchise and all it's sequels have been progressively dumber and prettier.

BF1942 had a far superior game mechanic to BF4. Strategy. Choice. Team play.
For all the advances graphically, the game sacrificed it's core.

Had DICE allowed LAN support and modding, the community would have re-developed the engine into a decent game, but they blocked all modding to preserve their DLC market. As a result they've lost many loyal fans of the Franchise; myself included.

The fact DICE are releasing statements admitting battlefront was too shallow sums up where it all went wrong. Visual over gameplay. Style over substance. Short term cash-grab over quality and longevity.

News Comments > DOOM MP Alpha This Week
10. Re: DOOM MP Alpha This Week Nov 30, 2015, 03:55 Arithon

Rhett wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 12:52:
I've heard the MP is not very good.. like they made it even more arcadey and Call-of-Duty-like.

You heard wrong. The first Alpha was amazing, totally captured the spirit of the original DOOM with a bit of Quake 3 thrown in.

Really stoked to see what the next Alpha contains.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
19. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 07:25 Arithon

Julio wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 05:23:
If unfair regional pricing wasn't happening, there would be less of a need for GMG and other key sellers.

+1

Regional monopolies and scalping of "rich" markets give rise to grey markets.

Level the playing field. The world is one market. Price accordingly, or drive potential customers elsewhere.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
28. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 08:49 Arithon

After failing to muster the will to finish Fallout 3, I didn't get too excited about the sequel. Just not my cup of tea.

Good luck to Bethesda! I hope they sell a million more copies. Me, I'm waiting for DOOM. The BETA was [redacted] and that little taster was pure heaven.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 13, 2015, 07:13 Arithon

Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 02:06:
because you know every battlefield game for the last 15 years has been the exact same thing. $110 for base game and all expansions.

Clearly you don't know. Battlefield 1942 came out in 2002 (that's 13 years ago this month) not 15 years ago. It cost 25 ($38) and was a complete game (no content held back as DLC). There were two stand-alone expansions for BF1942 did not affect multi-play but added single player campaigns and cost 15 each (less than $10). So the grand total for all of it was 55 ($84). Bear in mind the two expansions were additional games, not just a pack of four maps.

The original BattleFront was the "StarWars total conversion" mod for BF1942, but was sued out of existence by LucasArts so they could release their "official" version, developed by Pandemic.

The irony is that this BattleFront, the least like a Battlefield or Battlefront game, is made by DICE - the makers of BattleField.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up
4. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 10:52 Arithon

On the plus side, for $60 you can buy a $50 star citizen gift voucher..  

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
87. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 08:16 Arithon

I don't think Star Citizen can possibly live up to the hype. I think that Chris Roberts is a dreamer, but by setting the bar impossibly high, while the game won't realise the dream (how can it?), trying to get there should make it very interesting.

What would be really bad, is if CIG fail and nothing is released. That would be a huge problem for the gaming industry as a whole and crowd funding in particular.

Good or bad, I hope Star Citizen has it's day and doesn't become another Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans
11. Re: Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans Sep 21, 2015, 11:07 Arithon

datachasm wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 10:46:
whats coming in the new x pack? is that in beta or?

The schedule so far is Early October XBOX One launch (6th?), followed that week by the (free) 1.4 "CQCC" update release on PC.
Then in late October a beta of the (free) 1.5 "ships" update, followed by a release in early November.
The "Horizons" (planetary landings) expansion is due out in early-to-mid December. No word on beta releases with that yet, although there's a big Q&A session with Frontier due on Friday at the EuroGamer Exhibition (EGX) in Birmingham. Hoping that more details will come out then.
"Horizons" will also be released on the XBOX, but there's no timetable as yet.

I'm hoping to have a few rounds of CQCC on a Vive at the EGX, to decide if I go Oculus or HTC for the next gen of VR after my DK2.

9. Re: Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans Sep 21, 2015, 10:39 Arithon

ItBurn wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 09:48:
Same with me(the not interested part). I get the feeling they don't actually want to flesh out the game more though. This is a barren space trucker simulator.

You haven't played in a while then. Currently 1.4 is open Beta for everyone - it'll be released next month. You can download it now.
Try the Close Quarters Combat Championships (CQCC) which is a free add-on to the main game, a tournament space-combat arena. Kind of Q3A or UT with spaceships.

8. Re: Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans Sep 21, 2015, 10:32 Arithon

InBlack wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 09:20:
I have elected to forget all about this game for the time being, despite being a space-sim fanatic. The reason is simple. There is simply not enough to do if you simply want to blow shit up and advance. It's way too slow and too repetitive, and I'm not a fan of trading even though it's basically a must-do task if you ever want to earn the credits for the biggest ships in the game.

That might have been true a while ago (1.2) but I'm making 100M Cr plus per week from combat only. You are out of the loop, clearly.

Join Hudson or Duval's faction, go into crime sweep or equivalent, get 10,000 merits (took me three days) and you'll get 50M CR per week pay plus 200% on bounties. Typically 10-45M CR in two-three hours in a RES. Rest of the week is yours for exploring etc.

See here

I play for three-four hours max, as I am in full time work. After you make rank 5, you only need 5,000 merits per week to stay there, which is pretty easy.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
16. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 10:47 Arithon

"How could they screw up a game with Star Wars in it?" This is how.

Poor on-line play (matchmaking servers = blind-date networking) and no LAN support baked in.

The Battlefield franchise in the bin with the bug-ridden BF4 and dire Hardline. Now the Star Wars spin-off, BattleFront is also heading for the trash-compactor.

Very sad. Some of my greatest gaming memories are from playing BF2 and BF1942 and the mods for it (Desert combat, PoE) - now these games are dumbed-down feature-starved skeletons requiring DLC to function fully (no premium? No server!).

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
13. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 11:03 Arithon

Because outsourcing produced such outstanding results with Alien: Colonial Marines.. yes. They can live up to the great Duke Nukem tradition of decade-long development cycle, huge public derision, followed by a rubbish game and zero falling on swords.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
44. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 1, 2015, 04:50 Arithon

Those whores and coke won't pay for themselves!

I mean, development is an expensive business and they might not have enough funds.

So Squadron 42 in the wind, Star Marine delayed "for the foreseeable future" (gulp) and only the Arena Commander Alpha to show for ($80M+ USD?)

Where do I sign?

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
20. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 11:53 Arithon

It wasn't a bad game at all, but for me it didn't have enough to drag me away from Elite: Dangerous.
Also, it stood in the brown stinking shadow of Aliens: Colonial Marines, which was enough to put anyone off games tied to the Alien franchise for life!

News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
9. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 03:35 Arithon

If they re-released Hardline with mod tools and LAN server EXEs at half the price, they might have a shot.

Otherwise, not.

147 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo