Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14772 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > System Shock Kickstarter and Demo
15. Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 28, 2016, 22:47 Jerykk

I did not feel a sense of worry, mainly I feel, because I felt too in control of my character. I'm nimble and fast now. The controls of the original SS were a great part of the challenge; now everything is too easy to do and everything controls too well. I feel like maybe they need to cripple the character or something to make one worry more so about their survival and dire situation.

Sluggish controls are never the answer. The real solution is to make faster, stronger and smarter enemies. Also, make health mean something, with limited healing options. The demo was clearly designed to be easy, as the enemies barely do any damage.

As for the Kickstarter, $30 is a bit high for my tastes. $15 would be the sweet spot and would be in the comfort range for the majority of potential backers. I feel like they're overestimating the size of the System Shock fanbase.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
19. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 12:30 Jerykk

descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 11:31:
You idiots calling for an end to regional pricing don't seem to understand that the "fix" is locking you out of buying or using keys from other regions... it isn't "lower prices". Dumb dumb dumb.

It makes no sense on the internet, where one IP address is much like another.

It actually makes perfect sense. Do you think running datacenters for content delivery in those countries costs the same amount that it does to run one in the US? When given the option of barely selling any games for full price in a region that cannot afford it vs selling some games for a slightly lower price... literally no one would choose option A.

Valve is literally allowing you greedy fucks to take advantage of regional pricing when you shouldn't be able to... and you are bashing them for it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Except most games are region-locked now so that's not actually true.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
3. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2016, 16:42 Jerykk

The level design in the demo isn't very reassuring. It's exactly what I'd expect from procedurally generated levels: no real focus or direction, random objectives, etc. The combat still looks like a lot of fun but the level design feels like a definite step back from the previous game.  

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
17. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 25, 2016, 03:31 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 23:33:
Couldn't they offer both? Seems like they are pretty far along with the remaster. Finish that then reboot. If you're worried about cannibalization just package them together.

I think they're saying that they've already made enough changes to the game that it's basically a reboot at this point. System Shock has already been "remastered" in the form of the Enhanced edition that was already released by NightDive. If you really want to replay the old game, you can play that.

That said, I think many people are putting too much weight on the word "reboot." They aren't completely changing SS1. They've just made enough changes that "remaster" isn't really accurate anymore. I think "remake" is probably a more accurate term of what they're doing here.

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Jun 24, 2016, 23:38 Jerykk

FO4 season pass is definitely not worth $50. I picked it up for $20, which is more reasonable but it's still pretty disappointing compared to the DLC for FONV. I would have been perfectly okay with them scrapping the Automatron and Workshop/Vault DLCs in return for a substantial DLC like Far Harbor or Nuka World.  

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
13. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 22:49 Jerykk

Bumpy wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 22:37:
Looking forward to the Glory Kills and highlighted assets everywhere.

Odds are 100 to 1 the game will be consolized messed up.

Considering that NightDive has never released a game on consoles and that the System Shock remake will have PC as the lead SKU, I doubt that very much.

Reboot? No. Just no. Who are you guys, and what gives you the right to think you can reboot one of the greatest games of all time?

Technically, they are the guys who literally own the rights to remake the original System Shock. I'm not really sure what the problem is. The original game isn't going to disappear and Warren Spector is working with a completely separate team on System Shock 3. This remake isn't going to define the direction of the series.

News Comments > Mafia III Preorder Bonus
3. Re: Mafia III Preorder Bonus Jun 22, 2016, 23:18 Jerykk

Not a fan of pre-order exclusives but I'm looking forward to the actual game. Seems more ambitious than either of the previous games and I think taking a break from the Italian mafia offers a nice change of pace.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection
38. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 20, 2016, 15:34 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 13:04:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 20:54:
Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 17:59:
I realize the mod theft thing isn't easy to guard against, but this is just some plain jane bullshit method. Essentially what they are saying is "Only people with a Steam account can steal mods."

Well, seeing as how there's only 100 million or so Steam accounts, I'm sure this will make a huge dent in the theft...

You have to own a copy of Fallout 4 on said Steam account as well. I imagine that rebuying FO4 every time your account is blacklisted would get pretty pricey and be enough to dissuade most mod thieves.

It never seems to dissuade people from cheating in online shooters, but in any case, would Steam ban you for stealing a mod that's not really even related to Steam? I somehow doubt it.

CS:GO is a lot cheaper than FO4 and you can actually make money in CS:GO by selling the random drops you get. Also, Valve wouldn't need to do anything. Bethesda could just blacklist your account on Bethesda.net.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
37. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 20, 2016, 04:49 Jerykk

verybad1 wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 16:12:
Task wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:34:
verybad1 wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 12:54:
Task wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 12:14:
potential moneymakers like MechWarrior

Thanks for the morning laugh!

A Next Gen MechWarrior 5 on PC and its Arcade sibling Mech Assault 3 on Console would sell like hotcakes. Quite the opposite of a laughing matter.

Not based on previous versions. It was less than impressive to them. That's why they let Piranha do the MechWarrior Online game...because there wasn't enough money in it for Microsoft to bother.

Believe me, I've been with the MW games since the beginning (played the dice baced board game Battletech as well for that matter, and I made a lot of the models for MW4's MekTek mods, but the game has not done terribly well in sales for the enire life of the series.

Just because you and I liked the games doesn't meen it was popular with the overall market.

This. Being successful in the 90's was a lot easier than being successful now. The standard AAA game needs to sell at least 5 million units to be considered a success. I don't think all the Mechwarrior games combined sold that much.

That's what a lot of people don't seem to understand. The big publishers stopped making mech sims/space sims/adventure games because the audience for said genres wasn't growing to match increasing development costs. Business is all about growth so stagnant genres are abandoned. We might eventually see a resurgence of these genres but I don't see any of the big publishers doing it.

26. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 19, 2016, 20:54 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 17:59:
I realize the mod theft thing isn't easy to guard against, but this is just some plain jane bullshit method. Essentially what they are saying is "Only people with a Steam account can steal mods."

Well, seeing as how there's only 100 million or so Steam accounts, I'm sure this will make a huge dent in the theft...

You have to own a copy of Fallout 4 on said Steam account as well. I imagine that rebuying FO4 every time your account is blacklisted would get pretty pricey and be enough to dissuade most mod thieves.

19. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 19, 2016, 15:38 Jerykk

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 15:29:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 15:25:
Blackhawk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 13:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 13:05:

Also nowhere in this news do they say that they implement punishments for mod theft.... so wtf is this news? Placebo?

I'm not sure how they could investigate the claims. Proving ownership would be extremely difficult when the usual hosts aren't associated with Bethesda. It would make it very, very easy to troll with false claims.

It's not that hard. If someone makes a claim, they can just provide a link to the mod on Nexusmods and prove that they are the creator listed on that site.

Unless Bethesda has an agreement with the Nexus, that's harder than it sounds.

I'm sure they could come to an agreement with relative ease. Modders don't like having their mods stolen so if Bethesda asked Nexus for the e-mail addresses of specific mod authors, those modders would probably cooperate, especially if those modders are creating the claims in the first place.

14. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 19, 2016, 15:25 Jerykk

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 13:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 13:05:

Also nowhere in this news do they say that they implement punishments for mod theft.... so wtf is this news? Placebo?

I'm not sure how they could investigate the claims. Proving ownership would be extremely difficult when the usual hosts aren't associated with Bethesda. It would make it very, very easy to troll with false claims.

It's not that hard. If someone makes a claim, they can just provide a link to the mod on Nexusmods and prove that they are the creator listed on that site.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
18. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 18, 2016, 16:06 Jerykk

I like how he dodges the question about what customers want and instead focuses on what Steam needs. "Steam will do fine without our games." Sure, Steam's doing fine but you're screwing your customers by forcing them to use your shitty Windows Store. 99.9% of customers would be happier and therefore more likely to buy your games if they were available on Steam.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
38. Re: Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days Jun 17, 2016, 18:47 Jerykk

Razumen wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 18:04:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 17:35:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 17:25:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 17:05:
You guys are not good at history.

We're constantly accepting things that are slightly shittier, because it's not so bad, or because most people don't care. Now we have to pay 15$ for a DLC containing a new multiplayer map. Back then, maps were free and you had deep mod tools to make your own. That's ONE example.

That's a pretty terrible example. "Back then", the work involved in building a map was far, far less than it is now, UNLESS you want maps that look like shit. If that's your thing, well, then I'm super sorry for you. The level of polygonal and textural detail we now expect in a single map for a game exceeds what most games had in their entirety, "back then".

I dunno. It was really hard to make maps back then because the tools were so limited. Nowadays, it's pretty easy with the fully featured editors with deep scripting that we have. There's still some games with level editors and fans churn out tons of levels for free. Ugh, are you going to have me make a whole essay about how we got more and more shafted as years went? It's pretty obvious to me. I've lived it. I still play games and enjoy myself, but I know being a consumer was better back then. I don't have time right now to give more examples, so you'll have to find your own examples :p

No, they really do take that much more work. Making a AAA quality level in UE4 today requires a lot more work than say, an Unreal Tournament level did. Yes, some tools have improved, but not to the point where creating meshes, materials, and level layouts at the desired level of detail is anywhere as fast as it used to be.

Don't believe me? Try making a complete map for UT4 from scratch, without using anyone elses' premade assets.

That's not quite accurate. Tools are faster, more accessible and more versatile than ever. The problem is that standards have risen considerably and creating assets that meet those standards naturally takes longer.

ItBurn is wearing rose-tinted glasses, though. Many games sold map packs in the 90's. Remember Final Doom? Scourge of Armagon? Dissolution of Eternity? Ground Zero? The Reckoning?

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
11. Re: Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days Jun 17, 2016, 13:18 Jerykk

Razumen wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 11:45:
PHJF wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 10:27:
It's launching on Xbone and Win10...

Yeah, not sure how he got 1 year out of this...

The fact they're going to allow support for other versions of Windows is surprising though, MS is making a LOT of good decisions lately, makes me suspicious they have something up their sleeve later though haha

MS isn't publishing the game. Capcom is. MS is just giving them money to keep it exclusive to Microsoft platforms for a year and exclusive to the Windows Store for 90 days.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Announced
14. Re: Dead Rising 4 Announced Jun 15, 2016, 16:11 Jerykk

SlimRam wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 04:25:
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:27:
Look, we've given MS a TON of shit over the years for their 'support' of PC gaming, but they have just announced three (four?) major AAA titles that would have been exclusives last year, and said they are coming to the PC.

Yes, it's a UWA/UWP (whatever) and only on Windows 10, but they ARE going to be on PC, and I think the "buy once play wherever" thing is also to be applauded as a good measure, especially since it will allow mp crossplay. (more controller peasants to frag!)

So, for my part, good on ya, MS.
Ya might want to check the Evening Consolidation section for today. Keyboard and Mouse support for the Xbone is a few months away (and that does mean in game, not just menu navigation) soooo maybe a few less controller peasants

Xbox 360 and PS3 had M/KB support too. Problem is that no developers will support it because it will put gamepad players at a disadvantage and the vast majority of console players prefer to use gamepads.

News Comments > Redout Announced
3. Re: Redout Announced Jun 14, 2016, 23:33 Jerykk

Just to clarify, the game will support VR but not require it.  

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Announced
10. Re: Dead Rising 4 Announced Jun 14, 2016, 23:30 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:27:
Look, we've given MS a TON of shit over the years for their 'support' of PC gaming, but they have just announced three (four?) major AAA titles that would have been exclusives last year, and said they are coming to the PC.

Yes, it's a UWA/UWP (whatever) and only on Windows 10, but they ARE going to be on PC, and I think the "buy once play wherever" thing is also to be applauded as a good measure, especially since it will allow mp crossplay. (more controller peasants to frag!)

So, for my part, good on ya, MS.

While I appreciate that they're releasing the games on PC, the Windows 10/Windows Store requirement is a deal breaker for me. I don't use Windows 10 and even if I did, I really wouldn't want to use the Windows Store. It's even worse than Origin and Uplay. MS is obviously only interested in pushing their latest OS and storefront so it's hard to feel gratitude towards them.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed
24. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed Jun 10, 2016, 03:48 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 23:50:
Another real reason to worry is the last 2 games from this company I had interest in were Thief and Tomb Raider. Both have been major let downs due to the near absolute consolitis. In many aspects caused mostly if not all the issues, in them including DXHR. I.e. press button to win. Did they ever remove the forced cutscene, every freaking time? Or QTEs in TR or no jumping in Thief. This company actually thinks this shit up, talks about it with their outside voice and decides it's a great idea, then forces it on paying customers. Protest

Those are relatively minor nitpicks. The takedown cutscenes in DX:HR were brief. The lack of manual jumping in Thief didn't really have a big impact in Thief, as the levels were designed with the contextual jumping and mantling in mind. There was tons of verticality. Tomb Raider had a distinct lack of tombs, which was disappointing, though the sequel was greatly improved in that regard. Still not as good as the previous games but a step in the right direction.

I've reached the point in my life where I'm okay with games not being exactly what I want. They weren't perfect in the past either but nostalgia tends to forget such details. I judge games as a whole, so even if there are certain aspects that I dislike, I'm still able to enjoy the game. The simple truth is that games are no longer designed specifically for hardcore gamers that have been playing games for 20+ years. If that's the only kind of game you can enjoy, then you're going to have a pretty limited selection of games to choose from.

News Comments > Styx: Shards of Darkness Trailer
4. Re: Styx: Shards of Darkness Trailer Jun 10, 2016, 03:34 Jerykk

NetHead wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 22:22:
I enjoyed Styx, it has its flaws but it was enjoyable and gave the stealth itch a good scratch. It was also refreshing in a number of ways.

Maybe I'm just hitting a blank but I can't off hand think of another recent game that managed to accomplish even that much in a stealth game.

The new Hitman is great and better than Blood Money in many ways. Splinter Cell: Blacklist was also a return to form for the series. Thief wasn't nearly as bad as everyone claimed and was a pretty good stealth game in its own right, even if it didn't quite live up to its predecessors. Dishonored was also great as a stealth game.

14772 Comments. 739 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo