Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14805 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey 2 Video
19. Re: Prey 2 Video Aug 23, 2016, 02:53 Jerykk

Reminds me of the whole Battlefront nonsense where people couldn't live with the fact that a new studio resurrected a dead IP and did their own thing with it. "But it's not a battlefront game". So I guess every game serves as a mandatory precedent for all others in the series to follow. The first sets the rules, and then no sequel can ever stray without being lashed out at by the "community".

I thought the main complaint against Battlefront was that it's shallow and has no longevity?

But yes, people do boycott games for stupid reasons. People boycotted Splinter Cell: Blacklist because they changed Fisher's voice actor, even though Blacklist ended up being one of the best SC games. People also freaked out about the different voice actor in the latest Thief.

Boycotts are stupid in general. If a game sucks, don't play it. But boycotting it based on some faux rage? Pointless. The first Prey was a good game and Prey 2 had potential, but Prey 2 is dead and isn't coming back. There will never be a direct sequel to the first game. Boycotting the new Prey won't change that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
16. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 23, 2016, 00:12 Jerykk

Square doesn't have the best record when it comes to DLC. Sleeping Dogs had some decent DLC except it also had a lot of early unlocks/in-game currency crap too. Tomb Raider 2013's DLC was almost entirely early unlocks and maps and costumes for the multiplayer mode. Hitman: Absolution's DLC consisted of disguises that were completely useless. Rise of the Tomb Raider's DLC was mostly crap that nobody asked for (like Endurance Mode), though the Baba Yaga DLC was decent. Knock Bethesda all you want for FO4's DLC but at least they aren't selling DLC that gives you 100,000 caps and 5 free perks.  

News Comments > Prey 2 Video
12. Re: Prey 2 Video Aug 19, 2016, 23:03 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:28:
Not buying this simply for the lame abuse of the franchise. No Tommy, no Indians, no aliens, no gravity shifting = no Prey = no buy.

I'm sure your boycott will convince them to resurrect Prey 2 and replace the protagonist with Tommy...

I think the new Prey looks interesting. A lot of cool abilities and a lot of potential for emergent gameplay. Also, there are aliens in this. All of the enemies are aliens that are hunting you, which is why they call the game Prey.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Gamescom Video
5. Re: Dishonored 2 Gamescom Video Aug 19, 2016, 23:00 Jerykk

NamecaF wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 22:50:
Damn, some of those world textures look really low-res and ugly as shit. Hope this one will be moddable and someone comes out with a high-res texture replacement mod.

Dishonored 2 uses a modified version of the id Tech 5 engine so you definitely won't be seeing any texture mods. All hail MegaTextures!

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
55. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 22:47 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 21:05:
NKD wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 20:51:
dangerman77 wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 16:23:
Seriously, can anyone (industry-informed, Rigs?) offer an opinion as to why they are only allowing official press-release screens in reviews? (RPS confirms this is the case in the postscript of their review). Is there any precedence for this? My BS meter starts at 9/10, and of course is pinned with this tidbit.

I agree with Rigs. While it's possible it's something nefarious like "Lets cover up horrific graphics downgrade!", not one of the reviews I've read make mention of the game looking significantly different from what we we're shown, so I'm not sure that's it. The game looks about the same as it has for a long time in the latest gameplay footage as well. It could be an attempt to prevent accidental spoilers while reading reviews, as well.

It really is puzzling.

It sets off a few alarm bells, right?

It is probably a heavy handed attempt to avoid spoilers being leaked, with the not unwelcome side effect of ensuring the prettiest shots are used. Even if there's no downgrade, the publicity shots will be nicely staged and framed to avoid a rogue low-res texture or whatever.

If anyone does come across someone in-the-know commenting on this, please let us know.

They've allowed streamers and YouTubers to publish hours worth of custom footage so I don't think they're worried about the graphical fidelity of the game.

At the end of the day, movement and gunplay are probably the most important things for me in a game like this. I like stealth, I find hacking things to be gimmicky, but I like stealth. Too bad with shitty movement and shitty unsatisfying firefights this will probably be a big pass.

Combat has never been a strong point of any of the DX games so I'm not sure what you were expecting. Movement has never been particularly great either. DX is all about interesting choices so as long as DX:MD offers those, I'll be happy.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2016, 22:57.

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive Announced
3. Re: Metal Gear Survive Announced Aug 17, 2016, 12:18 Jerykk

This screams "cheap cash-in."  

News Comments > Gears of War 4 4K Trailer
4. Re: Gears of War 4 4K Trailer Aug 17, 2016, 02:14 Jerykk

Cover shooters were a novel idea when the first game came out but they're pretty stale now. You need to do something interesting to spice up the gameplay and it doesn't really look like GoW4 is doing that.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans?
31. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 17, 2016, 02:04 Jerykk

Maybe it's just me but I'd be perfectly fine with an isometric Bloodlines 2. Bloodlines wasn't defined by its perspective(s). It was defined by the quality of its writing and roleplaying options and isometric RPGs are perfectly capable of both (see Planescape Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Pillars of Eternity, etc).

Redemption wasn't really known for either its writing or roleplaying. It was closer to a JRPG than a CRPG.

News Comments > The Witcher III Game of the Year Edition Confirmed
15. Re: The Witcher III Game of the Year Edition Confirmed Aug 16, 2016, 05:07 Jerykk

If you haven't played W3 yet, I highly recommend you don't do the following:

1) Play on Normal difficulty.
2) Dump all your skill points into Quen and sword skills.

If you do the above, the combat will be pretty boring. Instead, you should play on Death March and diversify your playstyle. Rather than simply activating Quen and spamming the quick attack, use your full arsenal of potions, oils, bombs and Signs. Combat will be way more interesting.

29. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 16, 2016, 04:54 Jerykk

007Bistromath wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 18:19:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 16:11:
I think you're underestimating how much it costs to make a AAA 3D FPS/RPG. Here's a clue: significantly more than it costs to make a city-builder or 4X strategy game.
They don't cost that much, it's just that most AAA publishers are rabid about using those easy selling genres to step on their competitors' dicks. So, they budget that much, with a completely ludicrous amount of that budget going to marketing. Paradox tends to be a bit more sensible. Bloodlines is a niche product and will be marketed like one if they have any sense.

All the more reason to not make a 3D FPS/RPG. If you make a first-person game, customers will compare you to other first-person games, including AAA shooters. If you make a 2D, isometric RPG, you'll be compared to other 2D, isometric RPGs and that's a far more feasible bar for a small publisher to attain.

And a AAA FPS/RPG like DX: Mankind Divided most certainly costs at least $50 million just for development alone. We're talking about a multiplatform, fully-voiced, 40+ hour 3D hybrid action/stealth/RPG with large, open-ended levels, a wide variety of environments and interactive NPCs, side-missions with multiple solutions, branching storylines, multiple viable playstyles, both first- and third-person cameras, dialogue trees, cutscenes, etc, that's been in development for about 5 years. Marketing is usually at least double the development cost so I'm pretty sure the total budget for DX:MD is at least $100 million.

Seriously, AAA development is expensive. We're talking about teams of anywhere from 50-300 people working for years. If the average developer salary is $80k and you also have to pay for insurance and other benefits, coupled with the overhead associated with maintaining the studio, it adds up pretty quickly.

23. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 15, 2016, 16:11 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Aug 14, 2016, 23:18:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2016, 15:29:
If they do make a sequel, it will probably be a 2D, isometric affair (which I'm perfectly fine with). I don't think Paradox has the money to make a 3D, FPS RPG hybrid.

Cities Skylines? Stellaris? They must be really hurting for cash...

I think you're underestimating how much it costs to make a AAA 3D FPS/RPG. Here's a clue: significantly more than it costs to make a city-builder or 4X strategy game.

Lol, well aside from the fact that there are a myriad of top-tier 3D game engines available these days for free or next to no cost that enable ragtag garage outfits or even solo devs to make something that rivals the technical aspects of the original Bloodlines... Paradox is rolling in dough after the success of Stellaris this summer. It grossed upwards of $20m in its first month alone, and who knows how much since then. Plus if they need more, I'm sure they could raise millions in crowdfunding.

See above response. If Paradox makes a new Bloodlines, they aren't going to use the original game as the technical bar. That would be stupid, given that Bloodlines wasn't exactly a technical marvel when it was released 12 years ago. It isn't about the engine, it's about the resources required to produce the high quality assets expected of a modern FPS/RPG.

A better comparison is DX:Mankind Divided, a modern AAA FPS/RPG. Guess how much that cost to develop? If you're around the $70 million ballpark, you're close.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2016, 16:18.

6. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 14, 2016, 15:29 Jerykk

If they do make a sequel, it will probably be a 2D, isometric affair (which I'm perfectly fine with). I don't think Paradox has the money to make a 3D, FPS RPG hybrid.  

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
39. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 14, 2016, 05:06 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 05:15:
NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 21:32:
I just want to point out that Bethesda, if they so desired, could have allowed modding/level creation etc while having Denuvo/DRM. The DRM isn't preventing that so much as Bethesda may be using it to help prevent it, if you see what I mean. Not that I am in any way defending or encouraging DRM.

Sorry to tell you but denuvo requires server authentication. The reason level editor isn't released is because companies want to sell you dlc/season passes/microtransaction nonsense and have you over a barrel. Denuvo prevents people from modding the game unofficially because the game is encrypted. There are all sorts of unoffical mods for games that don't have official modding ability denuvo certainly prevents that I'm sorry to tell ya.

Note that there were unofficial editors for many older pc games that were made by the community, denuvo certainly prevents that. Diablo had a bunch of unoffical mods when it came with no level editor lets remember.

Denuvo does not prevent modding. Just Cause 3 uses Denuvo and has plenty of mods. Dragon Age Inquisition also has mods. The existence of mods is dependent on the ease with which they can be created and used and the strength of the player community.

News Comments > Nordic Games Becomes THQ Nordic
8. Re: Nordic Games Becomes THQ Nordic Aug 14, 2016, 04:55 Jerykk

"THQ Nordic" seems like a mouthful. In any case, I'm more interested in seeing if they release any high-quality AAA games. So far, they haven't really done anything with the IP they acquired from THQ.

I'd like to see new Darksiders, Red Faction and Destroy All Humans games. A new Space Marine would be nice too, but unlikely given that SEGA owns Relic now.

News Comments > Another Mafia III Trailer
4. Re: Another Mafia III Trailer Aug 12, 2016, 03:30 Jerykk

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 19:54:
Since No Man's Sky looks like a flop. I'm left with this game and the cars for the pre-order that look really good. I could care less about the weapons pack. For 49.99 I would buy this instantly. Since console prices have bleed over into PC prices I refuse to get robbed by a greedy corp. *Most of the time*

It's not hard to find this for $50 or less. Just search for it on Isthereanydeal.com.

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
35. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 11, 2016, 00:07 Jerykk

Wesp5 wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 04:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:00:
I liked Rage well enough, though for me it got badly ruined by the terrible Megatexture engine. The hideous amounts of pop-in and god-awful textures when up close just really soured the experience.

Yeah, I had the same impression when I first played it on a dualcore but on my i5 with a decent NVIDIA card it look beautiful with no pop-ins anymore! It was the one game when Caramack released something for which the hardware wasn't ready.

The textures still look awful up-close regardless of what hardware you're using. Later id Tech 5 games have greatly improved in that regard but RAGE looks really terrible unless you're at a distance.

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
32. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 00:02 Jerykk

Bethesda is so blatantly pursing this, yet how many people, including many who consider themselves tech savvy and informed etc were to busy being interested in a neutered editor called SnapMap when revealed rather than having a neon WTF sign over their heads.

I don't think any modders were interested in SnapMap. SnapMap is nothing more than a rudimentary level editor.

If you're suggesting that Bethesda will try to monetize user-created maps... yeah, I don't see that happening. Nobody would pay for them, especially when the maps all use recycled assets.

News Comments > Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week
4. Re: Three HITMAN Seasons Planned; Episode 4 Next Week Aug 8, 2016, 15:09 Jerykk

One huge map, one main story mission, a bunch of smaller side-missions (Contracts, Escalations, Elusive Targets). There's tons of replayability. I've put over 80 hours into the first four episodes (including the bonus episode released last month) alone.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Details
12. Re: Dishonored 2 Details Aug 6, 2016, 00:15 Jerykk

Not sure why people thinking killing people is so much more fun than being stealthy but then, I like stealth games and when I play stealth games, I don't even neutralize enemies. 100% ghosting. I guess I'm in the minority of people who enjoy that playstyle, though.  

News Comments > Prey Trailers
7. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 22:58 Jerykk

The walkthrough summary makes the game sound like System Shock 3. Sounds promising, though I still miss Prey 2.  

14805 Comments. 741 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo