Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15080 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
13. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 14, 2018, 23:29 Jerykk

Task wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 12:05:
Wasn't it THQ that went bankrupt back in the day? Apparently CD Projekt dodged a bullet and made the right call back then by not signing a contract with them for Witcher 2.

(found the article regarding the above)

This isn't THQ, it's Nordic. Nordic bought the THQ name and a bunch of its IPs. It seems like they're trying to expand and become a AAA publisher, though they're still a ways off from achieving that. I think Darksiders 3 is going to be their first attempt at releasing a AAA game. We'll see how that turns out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Evil Within 2 Adds First-Person Mode
2. Re: The Evil Within 2 Adds First-Person Mode Feb 14, 2018, 22:53 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 20:44:
What the...? I thought this was already in the game, although maybe that was a mod.. I swear First Person was in months ago. Oh well, I must be getting old(er). :o

It was a mod. Pretty cool that they made it official, though. Hopefully that'll make more people try the game.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month
3. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month Feb 12, 2018, 23:41 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 20:20:
so, it's Portal without the portal gun?

It's a first-person puzzle platformer. The genre isn't limited to Portal. The first QUBE was actually pretty good. I'm looking forward to this one.

News Comments > Steam top 10
12. Re: Steam top 10 Feb 11, 2018, 23:52 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 19:40:
Yeah, they've got a lot to live up to with Kingdom Come, we've been hearing about it and seeing teasers for so damned long... They made their big gameplay reveal around the time Xbone and PS4 came out, so it was like the poster child for next-gen games, but then it was delayed by several years after they first promised 2015. Now they can't rely on graphics alone to wow people, so they'd better have everything else polished up real nice.

Anybody who thought it would actually be done in 2015 was seriously naive. To be honest, I'm surprised it was even finished at all. $400k is nowhere near enough to fully develop a 3D, open-world RPG. Granted, they claimed that the Kickstarter funding would be used to develop a prototype and convince investors to provide actual funding, but that's always a dubious proposition. Kudos to them for actually following through.

News Comments > Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content
2. Re: Re: Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content Feb 5, 2018, 23:29 Jerykk

It's great that they've continued supporting the game so long after launch. That's a pretty rare thing for AAA single-player games. That said, it's probably time to announce a sequel.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10 9
13. Re: Steam Top <strike>10</strike> 9 Feb 4, 2018, 23:18 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:27:
Happy to see Subnautica doing so well, especially with how long it was in Early Access.

Yes. Sadly, the rest of the list is fucking pathetic. Hard to get excited.

Why is it pathetic? There's a good variety of games on there and a lot of new ones.

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
25. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 29, 2018, 23:06 Jerykk

I don't see any of these being plausible except for BlueHole. Valve is huge and they make a ton of money from Steam. They basically own PC as a gaming platform and have no reason to sell. EA is also huge and makes a lot of money from supporting multiple platforms, the biggest of which is likely PS4. Selling to MS doesn't really make sense for them either.  

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
29. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:30 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:16:
If a streamer isnít making money off of their broadcast, itíd be a different story. But the bigger streamers make ridiculous money. If half of what they made for a particular video went to the developers, well, thatíd probably solve any worries development houses have. Havenít heard of any streamers sending money to the companies whose games they play, though.

You're forgetting that streamers basically provide free advertising. Publishers and developers will give streamers free copies of their games in order to take advantage of that. Some publishers and developers will even pay streamers to play their games.

If someone is willing to watch an entire single-player, story-driven game playthrough on Twitch or Youtube, they probably weren't going to spend $60 on it anyway. In other cases, the viewer might watch a few hours of it and then decide "Hey, this game actually looks pretty cool. I think I'll pick it up!"

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Origins Game+ Mode Coming
4. Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins Game+ Mode Coming Jan 29, 2018, 12:25 Jerykk

I don't really see the point of this. You can easily max out all of your upgrades and abilities within a single playthrough. You can also complete all of the content. This isn't an RPG so a second playthrough would be exactly the same as the first.  

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
27. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 25, 2018, 23:07 Jerykk

Orogogus wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 18:04:
The PC gets a lot of indie games, but all the big budget games still end up on one or both of the consoles.

All the big-budget games come to PC as well (except for the first-party exclusives). Given the rising costs of AAA development, not releasing on PC is just throwing away money.

Also, the rising profits of PC gaming are due primarily to incredibly popular F2P games like Lol and DotA2 more than anything else. PUBG is popular, but it's a one-time purchase whereas F2P can monetize for years.

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 17:22:
Both online as in my real life surroundings, I hear of console players buying PCs or saving money for one as they desperately want to become part of this fabled (thank you Zero Punctuation) PC Master Race.

That's not really true at all. The vast majority of console gamers have no interest in PC gaming. They simply don't see PC as a gaming platform even if it's objectively superior. PC gaming revenues are growing but that's not because console players are abandoning consoles.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin Jan 25, 2018, 22:58 Jerykk

Looking forward to this. The setting of the first game was a bit pedestrian. This one looks a lot more interesting.  

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
8. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 24, 2018, 23:03 Jerykk

Zanderat1 wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 22:30:
I actually liked DA2. It had it's flaws, but was fun to play. OTOH, I found DAI boring and quit about a third of the way in.

The combat encounters were horribly designed. They would just keep spawning wave after wave of enemies, making it impossible to actually plan ahead. This was infuriating on Nightmare difficulty where enemies actually posed a threat but the encounters were clearly designed for the lower difficulties where enemies were just cannon fodder.

In any case, I sincerely hope they abandon the open-world nonsense of DA:I. Bioware isn't good at it. Just make a regular, 40-60 hour RPG with no filler, please.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta This Week
12. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta This Week Jan 23, 2018, 05:07 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 15:51:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 15:31:
It's Win10 because it's crossplay compatible with Xbone games. Every game done that way is Windows Store Only. I'm not a fan of the Windows Store, but it DOES mean I can play Forza Horizon 3 on my PC. You have to consider it that way, instead of "do it my way or not at all". Because then you wouldn't even have the option. These games would be Xbone-only, MS has exclusivity rights.

I'd prefer to have all my games in one store, but that just isn't possible right now.

I don't care if the game is XBox only. I don't care if there's no Windows version of a good game. There's tons of other good games to play and I'll play those instead. I'm happy to vote with my money and tell Microsoft that I don't want their BS.

Voting with your wallet is fine but that doesn't mean that MS games shouldn't be on PC. Yes, the Windows Store sucks but I'd rather have options than no options.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 System Specs
11. Re: Far Cry 5 System Specs Jan 23, 2018, 01:17 Jerykk

1badmf wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 01:04:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 20:36:
Yep, RAM prices, HDD prices, GPU prices, Meltdown & Spectre... Worst time ever to buy a PC. I need a new one soon too. I guess I will have to wait 1 or 2 years longer, even if the prices drop to normal levels again, because Meltdown & Spectre will probably only be fixed in 1 to 3 years.

always upgrade during black friday. i got a 1600x for $180; even with proposed amd price cuts they'll be above $200. also got a vega64 liquid for $699. i just looked at video card prices and i could sell it used right now for nearly double that.

Prices were crappy during Black Friday too. AMD hardware is always cheaper.

News Comments > Assassinís Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Trailer
3. Re: Assassinís Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Trailer Jan 22, 2018, 22:52 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 22:48:
Darks wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 21:23:
UBI has a very bad habit of rehashing areas in the world thats already there. I hate it when they go so cheap and dont expand the maps to add this new content.

I don't understand? This DLC takes place on a new map...

I think the issue is that the new map is very similar to the old one. It also doesn't look like they're introducing any new enemies or gameplay mechanics. It's basically just more of the same, which makes sense for DLC, though given the sheer quantity of content in the base game, this kind of DLC feels a bit redundant.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 System Specs
9. Re: Far Cry 5 System Specs Jan 22, 2018, 22:46 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 20:52:
Is multiplayer p2p matchmaking? I've never spent any time playing the previous farcry games multiplayer because it's always a subpar experience.

I don't think the game has PvP, only co-op.

Anywho, I appreciate that they actually define their image quality and performance targets per spec. All developers and publishers should do that.

News Comments > More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit
31. Re: Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 06:55 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:22:
Well if there's one thing Chris Roberts does well, it would be "to break their promises."

Personally I think it's really slimy to claim "oh, this is all Lumberyard" when many of the core aspects of the game are still CryEngine. If someone gutted out and replace a Porche with after-market stuff, the core would still be a Porche.

Crytek sold the CryEngine source code to Amazon knowing full well that it would be used as the foundation of a new, competing engine. If Lumberyard offers CIG more value than CryEngine, then CIG is well within their rights to make the switch. There's a reason why most developers stay away from CryEngine so I can completely understand why CIG would follow suit.

Also, it's pretty absurd that Crytek is arguing that CIG is required to use CryEngine. That's not how licenses work. The license only means that CIG is allowed to use the engine, not required to use it. Crytek's entire case relies on this false requirement.

Spektr wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 06:02:
I expect these promises to be part of a legal-binding contract. Do you think Crytek is a team of teenagers? They are not as crooked as Chris Roberts but I am sure they come close. they know business

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Crytek has a history of poor business decisions. Ryse was a flop, they repeatedly failed to pay their employees between 2014 and 2017, they closed five of their studios, they bought the Homefront IP, did nothing with it and then sold it, their engine licensing business is a failure and they sold their engine source code to a competitor so that it could be used to create a competing engine. Now they're suing based on an inherently flawed understanding of how licensing works.

Flatline wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 18:21:
The exact language is: During the Term of the License, or any renewals thereof, and for a period of two years thereafter, Licensee, its principals, and Affiliates shall not directly or indirectly engage in the business of designing, developing, creating, supporting, maintaining, promoting, selling or licensing (directly or indirectly) any game engine or middleware which compete with CryEngine.

IANAL but the exact language says that you cannot develop, design, create, support maintain, promote sell, or license any game engine or middleware which compete with CryEngine.

The language says "in the business" of doing those things. Engine development is not the business of CIG. If CIG were selling/licensing their version of the engine, they would be violating that clause. But they aren't.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2018, 07:23.

News Comments > We Happy Few Delay; Refunds
7. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Jan 19, 2018, 23:31 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 19, 2018, 19:23:
Yeah, but it sounds like they really fucked up and it's hard to recover from that. I haven't been following this at all, but there was so much hype for the game after it showed at E3, people liking what they saw of it more than anything from the AAA sector... So it's unfortunate they weren't able to capitalize on such a huge PR advantage that a lot indie devs would kill for.

I knew that the E3 trailer was going to cause backlash as soon as I saw it. It portrayed the game as a tightly scripted, cinematic affair which it never was. The game was always going to focus on survival crafting in procedurally-generated environments but the majority of people who saw the trailer didn't know that.

They've released multiple trailers for the game and there are others that are far more representative of the actual gameplay experience. They should have used one of those instead.

News Comments > Carmageddon TDR 2000 for Free
1. Re: Carmageddon TDR 2000 for Free Jan 18, 2018, 23:02 Jerykk

Eh, this was the worst of the series. Carma 1 or 2 would have been much better. Still, it's free so I guess I can't complain too much.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 16, 2018, 23:15 Jerykk

Everyone should buy Shadow Tactics immediately.  

15080 Comments. 754 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo