Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15025 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Delayed
13. Re: Re: Psychonauts 2 Delayed Dec 23, 2017, 18:39 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 15:45:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:21:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:12:
Right out of the Star Citizen playbook.

- A delay announced? check
- A video to jazz people up? check
- Advertise some sort of merchandise? check

You don't have much experience with crowdfunding, do you? Those three things have occurred with pretty much every Kickstarter ever. In fact, they've occurred with almost every game ever made, crowdfunded or otherwise. Games get delayed because development is all about iteration and polish, videos are used to build hype or keep the community informed and merch is sold to further fund development and promote the game.

If Double Fine starts selling vehicles for Psychonauts 2, then your Star Citizen comparison will be accurate. Until then, it's pretty stupid.

You cannot see the connection because Psychonauts 2 isn't selling vehicles. Really? When developers (or publishers) announce delays, they typical publish them in a terse, albeit positive, manner. When Star Citizen announces delays, they sugar coat the heck out of it with tons of "but hey, LOOK at this amazing video, also, buy some merchandise" nonsense. Double Fine is copying that style of announcement for their delays sans vehicles.

Video game crowdfunding is a dog and pony show for companies who don't believe in their product enough to seek VC funding or hit up a proper publisher. VCs and publishers ask the kinds of questions and demand the types of results that crowdfunding sheeple do not.

Yikes. You are surely aware that publishers have no interest in funding games like Psychonauts 2, right? If you look at the past decade, you'll notice that most publishers stick to their established IPs developed by their own internal studios. Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. It's extremely rare for a publisher to fund new IP from external developers. It's also increasingly rare for publishers to fund traditional single-player games that aren't open-world and don't have any multiplayer components.

There are plenty of successful crowdfunded projects that deliver exactly what they promised: Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Banner Saga, FTL, Darkest Dungeon, The Long Dark, A Hat in Time, SUPERHOT, Divinity: Original Sin 1+2, Shovel Knight, etc. It's obvious that you dislike the concept of crowdfunding but the results prove that it works.

"Never let a crisis go to waste." Video game crowdfunding developers/publishers have figured out how to turn an apparent negative into a profitable positive without a single vocal outcry from those they wish to exploit. Star Citizen is the current heavyweight champion of this shlock. Double Fine is doing it too, albeit at a less monstrous level.

Does this clarify my point?

Not really. It just clarifies that you hate crowdfunding. Delays are common in game development. If you can couple the bad news with some good news, why is that a problem? It's not like people are going to magically forget that the game is delayed. The fact that you are enraged by such a thing only shows that you have some inexplicable disdain for crowdfunding.

Star Citizen is problematic because people are spending significant amounts of money on in-game property for a game that is still a glorified tech demo. That is no way comparable to what Double Fine is doing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
41. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 23, 2017, 05:55 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 22:27:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:08:
Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

This sounds exciting. I just finished FO4 and thought it was good, better in some ways for Beth (factions, gunplay) but worse in other ways (quest design, dialog). If Far Harbor is better that makes me want to dive back in relatively soon. Was gonna take a break.

Far Harbor has better quest design and writing than anything in FO4. It's like they learned from all their mistakes for that one DLC.

38. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 21:20 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 04:06:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:08:
Why would you...all you need is the DLC stuff, which is like in a total of 7 or 8 files. Big files, but just several files. If you're going to go the cdkeys route, why not just hop on TPB and get the dlcs for the base game? It's the same fucking thing. As far as I'm aware, they didn't change anything in the GOTY edition from the base+dlc.

Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

But he still got his key from cdkeys? I get it's not like going to G2A or Kinguin but it's close enough. I mean, my thinking was if you're going to do that (ie. you don't have a moral affliction from doing so) then why not just go all the way. I'm not approving his doing so, just curious...

I'm not sure why you'd equate cdkeys.com with piracy. It's a legitimate website that sells keys, just like Greenmangaming or any other site that sells keys. The keys are neither fake nor stolen. They were just purchased in bulk from countries where games are cheaper.

Unlike cdkeys, G2A and Kinguin are just marketplaces for third-party sellers. They're essentially like eBay for game keys, so there's inherently more risk involved. That said, the vast majority of keys are legally obtained. If they weren't, there would be a ton of revoked keys and those sites would be out of business.

Don't be misled by sensationalist headlines about the "gray market." There's nothing illegal about key reselling. The keys were all generated by their respective developers/publishers and compensation was received. It's nothing like piracy where one person buys a copy of the game and then duplicates it so that thousands of other players can play it for free. It's not even like used sales either, where multiple people can play a game while the developer/publisher only receives compensation from one of said people. Keys can only be activated once so only one person can play per key.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Delayed
4. Re: Psychonauts 2 Delayed Dec 22, 2017, 03:21 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:12:
Right out of the Star Citizen playbook.

- A delay announced? check
- A video to jazz people up? check
- Advertise some sort of merchandise? check

You don't have much experience with crowdfunding, do you? Those three things have occurred with pretty much every Kickstarter ever. In fact, they've occurred with almost every game ever made, crowdfunded or otherwise. Games get delayed because development is all about iteration and polish, videos are used to build hype or keep the community informed and merch is sold to further fund development and promote the game.

If Double Fine starts selling vehicles for Psychonauts 2, then your Star Citizen comparison will be accurate. Until then, it's pretty stupid.

20. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 03:08 Jerykk

Why would you...all you need is the DLC stuff, which is like in a total of 7 or 8 files. Big files, but just several files. If you're going to go the cdkeys route, why not just hop on TPB and get the dlcs for the base game? It's the same fucking thing. As far as I'm aware, they didn't change anything in the GOTY edition from the base+dlc.

17. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 00:45 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 00:37:
These sales are great for catching up on the 2-3 years of gaming I missed. Got a lot in the Thanksgiving sale and now time to get the rest. Dark Souls 2 and 3, the more recent isometric RPGs, Vanquish and maybe Quantum Break? Gonna watch a bit of that one on the 'tube.

You can get Quantum Break (and Dawn of War 3 and The Long Dark and a bunch of other random games) for $12 if you sign up for the Humble Monthly bundle. Humble Monthly is great for catching up on older games you might have missed.

13. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 21, 2017, 23:56 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 19:37:
The award for the most retarded sale goes to Hitman though. What a bunch of fucks at IO. They learned well how to screw over gamers from their Squeenix overlords.
It has become apparent now that the free holiday pack is lure for a no lube anal intrusion of the highest order.

As much as I enjoyed the free demo, I ain't touching that shit with a 10ft pole simply due to their super-shitty business practices. Merry xmas to you too, assholes.

What are you talking about?

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Montana Video
20. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 04:10 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:22:
My favorite Far Cry order: 2, 3, 1, Primal, 4.

Far Cry 4 always felt like a Far Cry 3 DLC/expansion to me. I couldn't get myself to appreciate the game at all.

This game again looks like Far Cry 3 in a new setting. So far, though, it looks like I'll really love this setting.

Weird, 4 is easily better than FC3 in every way. Better enemies, better animals, better NPCs, better vehicles, better characters, better world-building, better story, more interesting terrain, better mission design. You also get the wing suit right away.

I think FC4 is in many ways the Fallout: New Vegas of the Far Cry series. FO3 left a better first impression than NV and FC3 left a better first impression than FC4. However, like FO:NV, FC4 got better the more you played it while FC3 got worse. If you didn't play much of FC4, you really ought to give it another shot.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
28. Re: Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions Dec 17, 2017, 04:00 Jerykk

GothicWizard wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 01:22:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 20:01:
GothicWizard wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 19:10:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 10:30:
Hope Tim is doing something in the vein of Fallout. I'd rather see a new CRPG in some setting other than high fantasy, particularly from him.

I have it from a former employee they are working on their own post apoc CRPG. Since Obsidian can't get Fallout they decided to make their own fallout like IP with the original Fallout devs.

Seeing as Tim and Len were Fallout I'm pretty fucking stoked if that's the case. Regardless, Tim is one of my fave game devs so it'll be day one for me regardless of what it is but a new post-apoc game from him would be win icing on the awesome cake!

Cake

Then you may also be excited to hear after this game, assuming it does well, there has been some talks in making another VtM game, a bloodlines spiritual successor if you will. Since Obsidian already has a working relationship with the new owners of the vampire IP it would make sense.

FYI

If Obsidian did make another Vampire game with Paradox, it most certainly would not be 3D. Paradox doesn't have the money to make a 3D RPG like Bloodlines. It would likely be a 2D, isometric affair which I'm fine with but a lot of people wouldn't be.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
15. Re: Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions Dec 16, 2017, 15:51 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:47:
I wonder if this game will have any sort of post-launch DLC that they charge money for. Call me a literalist, but if you charge $14.99 for content not included in the original vanilla game... that's a fucking microtransaction.

Not really. Microtransactions refer to payments for things like loot boxes, in-game currency, early unlocks, etc. You're paying money in order to speed up progression. Paying money for meaningful new content is not a microtransaction.

Publishers love microtransactions because they don't have any real cost (aside from the initial system implementation). It's pure profit. DLC, on the other hand, requires developers to actually create content and that costs money.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Montana Video
7. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 15, 2017, 22:46 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:17:
I'll definitely play it, but I fail to see what's different about this game gameplay wise. Looks like just a different coat of paint.

Pretty much. I definitely got that feeling from Primal, which is probably why I got bored of it so quickly. The Far Cry formula is getting stale. FC4 was the best one but at this point, I think they need to mix things up a lot more.

News Comments > Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex
17. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Dec 10, 2017, 06:47 Jerykk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 14:12:
Thief should have been a slam dunk. Go back and play 1 and 2. Modernize the mechanics but don't reinvent them. Create a compelling story. Ship it. Sell like gothcakes on Halloween. Shalebridge Cradle is one of the pinnacles of atmosphere and level design. It should have been an easy inspiration.

Pure stealth games don't sell enough to justify development costs these days. Publishers expect AAA games to sell at least 5 million copies within a year. Making a shinier version of Thief won't generate those numbers.

Also, Shalebridge Cradle is from Deadly Shadows which was the most hated Thief until the latest one was announced. The Thief community is not open to change and will shit on any Thief that isn't exactly like the first two. They crapped themselves when Deadly Shadows replaced the rope arrow with climbing gloves and they crapped themselves again when you could only use the rope arrow in specific locations in the latest Thief. In order to justify a AAA budget, Square would have to streamline certain mechanics and make combat a more viable option, at which point fans would start hating on the game before it even came out. This is exactly what happened with Deadly Shadows and the newest Thief.

Square isn't going to make a game that won't sell 5 million copies and will generate negative hype long before release.

News Comments > The Evil Within 2 Free Trial
5. Re: The Evil Within 2 Free Trial Dec 8, 2017, 22:51 Jerykk

Bethesda really needs to do a better job of marketing their games. Prey, Evil Within, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored... they've made a lot of good games over the past few years but failed to give them the exposure they need to really succeed. EW2 is a significant improvement over the first game in many ways but it barely got any marketing.  

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion
17. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion Dec 7, 2017, 23:07 Jerykk

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 11:15:
Enough with the stupid battle royal nonsense, you can't shoehorn it very easily into an existing game and it usually turns into an disliked part of the game. Just a waste of developer resources.

What you just said is pretty much the exact opposite of what has actually happened. H1Z1 gained significant popularity when it added a Battle Royale mode (which is now the primary mode of the game). Same with Fortnite.

Making a Battle Royale mode for Dying Light seems like it would be pretty straightforward. The game already had co-op. Just turn on friendly fire and add some sort of time pressure factor. Bam, Dying Light Battle Royale. I could totally see this being successful.

News Comments > Get Homefront for Free
4. Re: Get Homefront for Free Dec 7, 2017, 22:56 Jerykk

GinRummy wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 21:36:
FYI: This is the first game in the series, from 2011, not the 2016 Homefront: Revolution which was pretty good. I just grabbed it, so I have no idea if it is better or worse than the sequel.

I liked the sequel a lot more. The first game is basically just a lower-budget version of CoD. The multiplayer was apparently good but I don't think anyone plays it anymore.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Adds New Chapter with VR Support
4. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Adds New Chapter with VR Support Dec 5, 2017, 22:52 Jerykk

Blood Ties isn't new. It came out a while ago. This announcement is just for the new VR implemention.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2017, 03:53 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 19:43:
Yup. PUBG's been top dawg since March consistently every fucking week after week after week...
No CoD, no AssCreed, no Middle Earth, no GTA, no Skyrim, no Witcher has been able to dethrone it. Sad but true.

PUBG has sold over 22 million copies in less than in a year. On PC alone. It's pretty insane.

News Comments > Seven: The Days Long Gone Released
14. Re: Seven: The Days Long Gone Released Dec 3, 2017, 00:03 Jerykk

Will probably pick this up after a few patches.  

News Comments > Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free
9. Re: Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free Dec 1, 2017, 04:38 Jerykk

opie wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:39:

What IGN thing? Anyway, good game. I picked it up ages ago for a fiver or something. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Could not disagree more. If you miss this, you will be fine. I'd call it 4th worst Xcom game behind enforcer, Xcom3 and interceptor.

As an XCOM game, it wasn't great. As a standalone game with no baggage attached, it was actually pretty decent. The setting was cool and the combat was interesting enough. The story also has one of the weirdest plot twists I've ever seen in a game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 26, 2017, 22:03 Jerykk

There's a pretty good chance they're going to release the Steam Link 2.0 soon. It's standard to significantly discount previous hardware iterations when the next iteration is just around the corner.  

15025 Comments. 752 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo