Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14805 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Dead Rising Rises
12. Re: PC Dead Rising Rises Sep 14, 2016, 03:02 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 00:58:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 23:28:
Dead Rising is not supposed to be a relaxing walking simulator.

Yes, you are so right. Dying Light was absolutely a "relaxing walking simulator."

https://youtu.be/BNsrK6P9QvI

I am hopeful there will be a trainer/mod that will let people play the game like they want.

Dying Light didn't have any sense of urgency. The only time the game had any real intensity was when you were dealing with the Volatiles.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Dying Light a lot but it had a pretty relaxed pacing, just like 99% of open-world games. You were able to do everything so you never had to make any difficult choices. Dead Rising is a very different kind of game. If you disable the time limit, you are fundamentally changing how the game is meant to be experienced. It's equivalent to disabling permadeath in a rogue-like. Sure, such changes make the game more convenient but they remove much of what defines the experience as a whole.

Dead Rising is designed for multiple playthroughs and as such, you shouldn't expect to see or do everything in a single playthrough. If you can accept that, you should be able to understand why the time limit is a core to the experience.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mafia III System Specifications
10. Re: Mafia III System Specifications Sep 13, 2016, 23:38 Jerykk

Watch_Dogs had a witness mechanic and it worked fine. You have plenty of time to stop said witnesses, especially if you're willing to shoot them. Also, you can just choose to be stealthy and not have to deal with witnesses at all.

The witness mechanic is a better solution than the traditionally psychic police that somehow know what you're doing even though nobody is around.

Because the previous 2 games had a great story and good missions (minus the racing in the 1st game that they patched, or the gas stamps in the 2nd), but it was a giant city devoid of life. Yeah it may be a new company doing the 3rd game, but when your game is being sold for 30 bucks on major key sites it's not a good sign.

The devoid city is specifically what they're addressing in Mafia 3. There's actually stuff to do now. In fact, the game is specifically structured around said stuff. You basically do various missions to hurt the cash flow of your enemies, eventually causing them to surface and giving you an opportunity to take them out.

News Comments > PC Dead Rising Rises
7. Re: PC Dead Rising Rises Sep 13, 2016, 23:28 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 23:04:
If you buy this, you are a moron.

Sell your PC, buy a potato, plug a playstation controller into it.

Not sure what you're trying to imply here. That old games are bad? Or that only old console games are bad? Either way, it's a silly mentality.

Anyway, the time limit is a fundamental part of the design. It forces you to make meaningful choices because you can't do everything. As such, DR1 and 2 are designed for multiple playthroughs. With each playthrough, you learn where the best weapons/items are, where the Psychos and survivors are, the most efficient ways to deal with said Psychos and survivors, the best shortcuts, etc. It's almost rogue-like in that respect, only without the permadeath and procedural generation. DR3 lost any sense of urgency and I think it suffered for it. Dead Rising is not supposed to be a relaxing walking simulator.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2016, 23:33.

News Comments > Mafia III System Specifications
3. Re: Mafia III System Specifications Sep 12, 2016, 23:03 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2016, 20:47:
I was ready to give this a second look because part of me loved Mafia 2 (especially the ending), but it really could use some sorta co-op or multiplayer or SOMETHING.

Neither of the previous games had co-op or multiplayer so I'm not sure why you'd expect that. They've always been atmospheric, story-driven, single-player shooters.

Was watching some video on this last night, and wow...it looked rough. This weird, washed out filter over everything. Bodies that all seized up in unison before flying through the air from an explosion. People running to phones to call the cops left and right, and cops magically showing up two seconds later.

The presentation does look a bit rough. As for the cops, I think showing up quickly is fine. If they had realistic response times, you'd be long gone before they showed up, defeating the whole point of the mechanic.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
9. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer Sep 11, 2016, 23:14 Jerykk

Task wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 07:04:
I think for me, I'm going to go into this game knowing that its definitely not Planescape: Torment. That's already a lot to live up to. This seems more based on the idea of the "Planescape" in another Universe (the Numenera P&P), but has similar elements in weirdness, heavy dialogue, and solving things in peculiar ways.

That seems like a reasonable approach. The problem with trying to be a successor to a cult classic is that you don't have the benefit of nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses. PST was very unique for its time and that experience can never be recaptured. All I'm looking for is a good RPG with interesting characters and settings, good writing and meaningful choices. Whether or not it meets or exceeds the bar set by PST is irrelevant. It just needs to be a quality experience on its own merits.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend
10. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend Sep 11, 2016, 23:08 Jerykk

MajorD wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 11:47:
Well, it sounds like this game is potentially a flop, which is too bad, as I was looking forward to it making up for the shortcomings and abrupt ending of the first one. Both had potential.....

The new Homefront isn't as bad as everyone likes to claim. It's not great by any means but from what I played this weekend, it seems like an average shooter that's still way more interesting than the first game. I'll likely pick it up when it hits the $10-15 range.

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
22. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 11, 2016, 23:02 Jerykk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 05:23:
Very forgettable game.
Felt like a stereotypical console game with its crappy controls and mechanics. Even the singleplayer was not that great, because of the typical console stuff. Doing the same things over and over again, pinata-mobs, non-interactive surroundings, forced upgrades that shouldnt be there at all in that way, since it felt like you only got what other games give you from the start, and that god damn hand-holding to find your way through the levels, AKA green beacons that show you where you need to go. Oh yeah, and not being able to switch task... really... I know its a Bethesda game that always have issues with that, but seriously, this is 2016...

Crappy controls? DOOM controlled great. It felt like Q3 multiplayer, only in SP. Piniata mobs? Did you play on Easy or something? Enemies have plenty of health and do plenty of damage on the highest difficulty setting. Non-interactive environments? You mean, aside from the plentiful amount of secrets that can only be found by exploring the levels and interacting with them?

I swear, people will bitch about everything these days. DOOM is in no way a stereotypical console game. What other console shooters play like DOOM? It's run 'n gun instead of cover-based, has a ton of verticality and speed, has health and armor pickups instead of health/shield regen, lets you carry every weapon at the same time, rewards weapon switching, has levels with tons of secrets that aren't easy to find, has powerups, etc.

The multiplayer is a waste of time but the SP is great. Are there some concessions for accessibility and broader appeal? Sure. The execution system does make the game easier but it also keeps the pace up so you focus more on killing and less on running away so you can find health pickups. What's sad is that a lot of people act like they want a straight-up remake of the original Doom but if that actually happened, they would just complain that it's more of the same. Remember the RoTT remake? 'nuff said.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2016, 22:47 Jerykk

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 14:06:
Meh, to be honest I preferred the ending to this one over the ending to Human Revolution. Fallout-style recaps of your choices go a long way with me, much more so than rambling monologues over stock footage, neither of which having anything to do with the events of the game. The "to be continued" nature of the Mankind Divided ending is kind of disappointing though.

I wasn't really expecting anything else. Having played the original DX, I already know the fates of Bob Page, Morgan Everett, Elizabeth DuClare, Joseph Manderley, etc, so I wasn't expecting any sort of closure on the big conspiracies. I believe DX:MD takes place 18 years before the first DX, so there's still a long ways to go. The focus of DX:MD was to find and stop the people directly responsible for the train station bombing and you do that.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer
28. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Sep 8, 2016, 23:52 Jerykk

PacoTaco wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 15:36:
Looked like low res crap to me. I loved ME 1 and 2, 3 was shit. This looks like more shit. The characters looked like ass, the 4k bullshit is total bullshit and it makes FB Engine look weak. Mass Effect: Death of a Franchise << better title. Predict layoffs at this studio with in 3 months of the launch.

Never really understood this mentality. If you loved ME1 and 2, you should love ME3 because it has the best gameplay and level design in the series. The ending sucked, sure, but it was about 1% of the game. The other 99% was great.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12
25. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12 Sep 8, 2016, 23:48 Jerykk

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 16:44:
Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 13:24:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 11:39:
21 hours from start to finish, including the side missions.

Do you people literally just run from one mission to the next and do nothing else whatsoever???

I'm 45 hours in and just made it to the GARM base.

Hmm, I actually took my time, or at least I thought I did. I didn't just go exploring every nook and cranny though but I think i did all of the side missions, including most of the ones you get from the "points of interest". Most of the time I ghosted though, or at least tried to anyway. I'll probably try to do a full on run and gun approach next time I get the urge to play it. If I get the urge to play it I mean, since the story didn't exactly blow my mind.

Exploring every nook and cranny will significantly lengthen your playtime, as will hacking every computer, reading every e-mail/PDA/eBook, talking to every NPC, etc. There are also a lot of locations that aren't part of missions or POIs.

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
25. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 8, 2016, 05:30 Jerykk

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 23:17:
I bet Nordic Games will buy a ton of those and sit on them like they do with every other license they scoop up.

This.

News Comments > HITMAN Episode 5 This Month
2. Re: HITMAN Episode 5 This Month Sep 7, 2016, 12:29 Jerykk

I hope not. The Japan levels in Hitman 2 were awful (from a design standpoint, not a difficulty standpoint).  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2016, 17:40 Jerykk

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 13:23:
I'm honestly surprised Witcher 3 didn't chart higher, that things the new skyrim, people just keep buying it.

Witcher 3 doesn't have nearly as big a mod community as Skyrim, so it doesn't have the same longevity.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 3, 2016, 00:33 Jerykk

SlimRam wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 22:41:
Leper wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 20:43:
Squirmer wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 18:56:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 14:22:
Should it have been included in the original game? Old-school gamer logic says yes. Old-school gamer logic doesn't make MONEY, however, and I doubt you go to work and hand out YOUR time for less money than what you could be getting.
Well I'm glad no-one told this to the devs at CD Projekt Red, who make plenty of money treating customers with respect and releasing expansions with as much content as most full games.

Unfortunately I don't think every studio can function the way CD Projekt Red does. Deus Ex isn't exactly taking the sales charts by storm and I'm guessing they'll be lucky if they break even (even by screwing over their customers with all this DLC as implied).

I seriously doubt that we'd have seen a large expansion to this game if they had gone that route since they'd have to wait to see how the base game was selling before greenlighting it. So a few small pieces of DLC might be the last we see of DX. Better than nothing?

On Steam they show about 290,000 copies sold since Aug. 23. I'm not sure if that means the game is a hit or not? I've always wondered what sales numbers constitute a hit?

Square has previously expressed disappointment with games that sold 2-4 million copies so I'm guessing DX needs to sell at least 5 million for it to be considered a success. I'm guessing it will end up selling around 2-3 million.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat XL Next Month
5. Re: Mortal Kombat XL Next Month Sep 1, 2016, 22:56 Jerykk

Good on WB for supporting the PC version after apparently abandoning it a while back.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Trailer
16. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Sep 1, 2016, 01:31 Jerykk

Jackplug wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 03:09:
A friend of mine loved this game, so i borrowed it and I was bored shitless, I cant see how they can make this game more interesting to me. At first i thought it was a good idea, but when playing, just wasn't fun at all.

If you played Watch_Dogs like an action game, it was pretty mediocre. It was way more interesting if you played it like a stealth game, though that depends on whether or not you like stealth games.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Trailer
9. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Aug 30, 2016, 05:29 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 02:48:
I hope they do a better job making me care about this new protagonist. My god was the story of WD1 bad. I couldn't care less about my kid's death. Yes, Ubisoft, it takes more than seeing a teddybunny float through the air in slowmotion to get me to give a fuck.

It wasn't your kid. It was your niece.

and ironically enough, that type of driving is what I hope W_D2 is MORE like. Ever since Saints Row 3, developers have been "listening to their fans" by giving them "precise control" over the driving mechanic, which is code for "wheels made out of glue, and a physics model that omits inertia"

Except the vast majority of people who play open-world action games aren't looking for a racing sim. They simply want an entertaining way to get around the world. GTA4 tried to be more realistic and the driving in that game was awful. I'll gladly take dumbed down driving in an open-world action game where driving is not the focus of the game.

I'm sure it's not as bad as that string of words sounds, but goddamn, it's like they took everything I hate and threw them in a blender.

You need to meet certain follower thresholds in order to unlock missions. There are many ways to gain followers, including taking pictures of landmarks. That is not the only way to gain followers.

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
9. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 18:02 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 16:45:
Great use of development funds right there, Ubi. Congratz. Now please crank out more garbage F2P games instead of using any funds to make a decent Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon game with a single player campaign. Or maybe even a new Might&Magic? Nah. Please don't. That would make sense and would probably even yield a profit. Boring, right? Why do any of that if you can just have fun and sink a few more ships eh?

Eh? They are making a new Ghost Recon with a single-player campaign and they recently released HoMM 7. The last traditional MM game was released in 2014, so it's not like they've abandoned the series.

I know it's cool to hate on the big publishers but Ubisoft has actually done a pretty decent job of supporting their older franchises and making solid games in general.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
24. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 26, 2016, 04:44 Jerykk

DSOGaming has already confirmed that this is just yet another re-release of Duke 3D, with some minor enhancements and new content.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
27. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 12:25 Jerykk

I love how people are saying this game is unoptimized because they can't run it at max settings at 60 FPS. Max settings are not standardized between games. Just because you can run one game at max settings doesn't mean you can run another game at max settings. Also, just because you have a high-end GPU doesn't mean you will always be able to run games at max settings (see aforementioned lack of standardized max settings).

Honestly, reactions like this are likely to cause developers to simply remove their highest settings and rename their lower settings. If "High" was the highest setting available in DX:MD, nobody would be complaining.

14805 Comments. 741 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo