Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15081 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get Satellite Reign for Free
5. Re: Get Satellite Reign for Free Apr 20, 2018, 02:08 Jerykk

I didn't have a problem with them making it more like Commandos. However, some of their systems are just poorly implemented. The stamina system is nothing but a nuisance (stamina is required for everything) and the stealth mechanics don't read at all. I have no idea how long or wide the enemy vision cones are or how large their hearing radius is.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
16. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 23:49 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 22:52:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 19:19:
I'll be honest: I liked WD2. I hated WD1 because the protagonist was such an unlikable, whiny dick. Although I am, as the kids say, old AF, I can see where the crew from WD2 fit and how they came together in a city that has an active maker scene and set in current times. Hell, they remind me of the students I mentor after a fashion.

My problem with Watch Dogs 1 and 2 is that it has a political even up-to-date setting and message... and paints terrorism as the solution. That's super questionable. And even if you argue this ain't terrorism, I'd argue they break the 4th wall at the very least.

Either way, both are fundamentally bad games imo, 2 was more enjoyable to play, but had an even more questionable tone and REALLY bad writing.

It made more sense in the first game where the protagonist was driven by revenge. He'd be okay with killing people and potentially causing collateral damage. But in Watch_Dogs 2, the ability to kill people and hurt civilians made no sense at all. It didn't match up with the light-hearted prankster mentality of the characters. In WD1, Aiden used hacking as means to track down his targets so he could kill them. In WD2, hacking was supposed to be a non-violent means of exposing corruption and protecting the people.

News Comments > New BioShock Rumored
4. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 22:31 Jerykk

Sounds like Mafia 3 suffered from bad leadership.

A new Bioshock is actually pretty surprising. With the current trend of open-world everything, a mostly linear, story-driven, 10-20 hour AAA single-player game seems unlikely. But then, maybe the new Bioshock will be open-world? Also curious to see what setting they choose. Two games was more than enough for Rapture and Columbia, while cool, wouldn't really make sense outside of Bioshock Infinite.

News Comments > Quake Champions April Update Plans
3. Re: etc. Apr 9, 2018, 23:09 Jerykk

Good to see them still supporting this though I can't really see its player base growing much. There's simply too much competition in the multiplayer shooter space. CS, PUBG, Fortnite, BF, CoD, Crossfire, etc, all competing for your time.  

News Comments > System Shock Revival Revived
30. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 18:07 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 04:05:
The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING". Not my cup of tea, to be honest. But if that is what the kickstarters got promised and what they wanted, then Nightdive has to deliver exactly this.

Well, no, they want SS1 but with a more modern presentation. If you just want to play SS1 on modern OSes, you can just buy System Shock Enhanced.

News Comments > WBIE Hits on HITMAN
5. Re: WBIE Hits on HITMAN Apr 4, 2018, 12:23 Jerykk

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 10:49:
Always thought these games were quite lame and riddled with bugs that made them not that great.

You'd be in the minority. HITMAN 2016 was fantastic and easily my GotY.

I'm not surprised that IO had to find a publisher. Making a game like HITMAN isn't cheap and the series has never sold well enough to allow for for complete self-funding.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 19:13 Jerykk

warmbluelasers wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:17:
I like the changes they've made to zone progression over 4/Primal. Crafting is just about gutted and replaced with cash and perk points. If crafting was a huge deal for you, may want to pass on this one. I didn't care for the upgrades crafting, but I don't feel like perk points are an improvement.

The AI is still crap, the followers repeat the same handful of lines way too often, and constantly talk over important dialogue (how does that pass playtesting?), and the guns are pretty much the same selection from 4. Oh, and the dog isn't as good as the one from MGS5, which this one is almost a complete copy of. But at least the dog doesn't constantly talk over dialogue like a toddler.

That said I'm having fun. A friend gifted me the preorder. Would I have paid $60 straight up? Probably not. I'd have gone for $40 though.

I think the perk points system is good. It encourages you to explore (since you can find perk point magazines) and try different things (since you get perk points for completing various challenges).

The only thing I dislike about FC5 are the actual skills/abilities/passives that you unlock. Most of them just aren't very interesting. Many just increase your ammo capacity or make some minor changes to weapon handling. Those should be weapon upgrades, not things you spend skill points on. AC:O had a similar issue. It seems that Ubisoft just isn't very good at making interesting skill trees.

News Comments > Guacamelee 2 PC
4. Re: Guacamelee 2 PC Mar 30, 2018, 23:37 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 16:17:
Nobody around the internet has gotten offended at this title and/or it featuring Mexican characters yet? I am amazed.

People don't really care about Mexicans yet. It's all about women, LGBT and black people at the moment.

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
3. Re: Uwe Boll's Rampage Mar 30, 2018, 22:25 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 21:55:
It's weird that he doesn't acknowledge that it's based on a video game.

I don't think he's even aware that it's based on a video game. His movies had almost nothing to do with the games they were based on. Publishers just gave him their licenses because he offered to make the movies for cheap.

News Comments > Dying Light Adds Free Game Mode
1. Re: Dying Light Adds Free Game Mode Mar 29, 2018, 22:47 Jerykk

Techland has shown some pretty fantastic post-launch support for Dying Light. It came out over three years ago and they're still giving it free updates. I can't think of any other AAA single-player game to get that kind of support.

Now they just need to announce Dying Light 2.

News Comments > Free HITMAN Spring Pack Released
2. Re: Free HITMAN Spring Pack Released Mar 22, 2018, 02:21 Jerykk

HITMAN is great. As a whole, I think it's even better than Blood Money. Shame that so many dismissed it when they heard it was episodic.  

News Comments > New Assassin's Creed Rumor
16. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 02:40 Jerykk

Greece seems like an odd choice. It would presumably take place around the same time as Origins and heavily feature the Romans, just like Origins. Would much rather have an AC set in feudal Japan.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs Tomorrow
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs Tomorrow Mar 12, 2018, 23:31 Jerykk

Repetition is only really an issue if you don't enjoy the core gameplay. I enjoyed the core gameplay of AC:O quite a bit so I didn't mind doing the same things over and over. Also, as with any open-world game, you don't have to go for 100% completion. You can stick to the main story missions and only dabble in the side content, greatly reducing the repetition.  

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 500K
8. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 500K Mar 12, 2018, 23:27 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 20:31:
Since when is "watched on Twitch" numbers something to brag about?

Companies are always looking for numbers that make their product look more successful. Twitch views, Youtube views, units sold, units shipped, pre-order count, total player count, peak concurrent player count, active users per month, positive Steam review ratios, E3 preview quotes, etc.

That said, 500k units in less than a week for a PC-exclusive with relatively little marketing is pretty impressive. Props to Fatshark for their success. Here's hoping that more developers try their hand at good co-op experiences.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 5, 2018, 12:28 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 12:03:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 11:41:
KCD has the best horseback riding of any RPG I've ever played. It's so much fun galloping through a forest, I don't even care there's no loot in it.

There you have it. Again. Immersion.
People who care greatly about it generally tend to fall in love with this game.

And yeah to the others.. if you think the game is dull and wouldn't like it, then you probably would find it dull and wouldn't like it.

"Immersion" and "realism" are not synonymous. It's entirely possible for an unrealistic game to be immersive. Conversely, a lot of people find realistic elements irritating, causing the experience to be anything but immersive.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Beta
7. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Beta Feb 23, 2018, 22:29 Jerykk

OpticNerve wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 18:53:
Dunno what's going on with GMG's pricing, but they do have a voucher in the VIP section of GMG (you just need an account to access it) and overall I ended up paying around $21 for Vermintide 2 compared to Steam's current pricing of $26.99.

GMG (and other sites) usually have better deals than Steam. I rarely buy games directly from Steam.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
48. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 03:27 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 00:54:
Prez wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 07:00:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 05:17:
Prez wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 00:42:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 21:34:
Unity is the McDonald's of game engines. And just like McDonalds, the products produced in that engine are mostly garbage. It also gives unfocused dingalings the ability to quickly produce a dazzling demo and then beg for money. Kind of like the fancy signs homeless people create asking for money.

Clearly you have not seen the pre-alpha build they gave to Jim Sterling to run through some time back. It looked fucking fantastic and was more than just a slapped -together demo. Unity is a fine engine for developers with actual talent and skill. It's not Unit's fault that so many talentless hacks pretending to be ddevelopers use it to throw no effort garbage on Steam to make a quick buck.

That's the point. They are talent-less hacks pretending to be developers. Otherwise they wouldn't have, in their own words, lost their "focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game."

I think you're mistaking a lack of discipline, maturity, and business sense with a lack of talent.

They are one and the same. All the talent in the world is meaningless if the person doesn't know how to make a profitable business out of their talent. That's besides the fact that people gave them money for a promise that they broke. That's the purest example of no talent.

You're making generalizations. A game studio is comprised of many developers, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with marketing, PR or business decisions. Gameplay programmers, engine programmers, gameplay designers, level designers, riggers, concept artists, environmental artists, character artists, VFX artists, animators, sound designers, etc. It's not their job to manage the budget or scope of the project.

45. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 00:04 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 21:52:
Pretty much done backing games on Kickstarter. Not that I have backed very many, but every single one has been mismanaged or turned into something that wasn't what I originally backed.

I've had the opposite experience. The majority of my backed projects have turned out successfully. Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2, Broken Age, Consortium, Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Overfall, Banner Saga, Sheltered, Hard West, Diluvion, Dex, A Hat in Time, Unrest, Road Redemption, Torment, Dreamfall Chapters, Dead State, Carmageddon: Reincarnation, etc.

Not all projects ended up being as good as I'd hoped but that's true of all games regardless of funding model. Overall, I've been happy with crowdfunded output and have no issues continuing to support it.

How to have good results with crowdfunding:
- Don't back projects by people that have never shipped a game before (or haven't shipped one in over a decade).
- Understand how much games actually cost to develop (hint: they're really, really expensive).
- If you back something because of nostalgia, recognize that what you loved so long ago may not quite hold up anymore.
- Don't pledge more than $30. Those higher tier rewards might look enticing but if the project fails, you won't get anything at all. The riskier the project, the less you should pledge.
- Realize that the release date estimates are almost guaranteed to be wrong and development will take an additional 1-3 years.
- Don't get too attached to specific features or content described in the initial pitch. Game development is an iterative process and features/content will inevitably be changed or cut.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2018, 00:14.

42. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 16:57 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 08:21:
With the System Shock remake they surpassed their target and then decided to change from a remaster to a a new game, then shackled themselves to a publisher because they didn't have enough funds for that. That's pretty sleazy.

People (developers included) really need to stop referring to this as a remaster. This was never a remaster. A remaster is when you update existing code and assets. There's already a System Shock remaster on Steam. No, this was always going to be a remake. All code and assets were going to be created from scratch, with inspiration being the only link to the original game.

Remaster: Update existing code and assets.
Remake: Create new code and assets that are heavily inspired by the original game's.
Reboot: Create new code and assets that are loosely inspired by the original IP.

This was a remake that turned into a reboot. It was never a remaster.

25. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 02:35 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 00:29:
What I mean is Unity makes it real easy to make a prototype and create a Kickstarter page. Declaring the game engine should be a standard requirement on any EA, Fig, Kickstarter, and other crowdfunded page. It's a warning to a potential backers.

I don't really see how creating a demo in Unity should serve as a warning sign. Plenty of good games are built on Unity. In addition, they did declare that they were using Unity on the Kickstarter page and when they switched to Unreal, they announced that too.

No, the real warning signs were the fact that Nightdive has never made a game from scratch (they've only done ports/remasters) and $900k is far too conservative for an FPS with high production values. They seriously underestimated how much it would cost to develop this and that was before they even decided to go for a full reboot. That's why I didn't back it.

15081 Comments. 755 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo