Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14926 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
15. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 18, 2017, 15:43 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 13:53:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 13:30:
Quinn wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 13:23:
Fucking drama queens. Them losers been playing that game every fucking day since it came out for PC. This is the kind of shit that has Rockstar flip the PC off for.

So you're against gamers voicing their discontent when a developer kills mods in order to juice more money out of the customers? You like all these microtransactions and day one DLC bs? Because it happened when gamers didn't say anything. Who cares if Rockstar puts their game on PC or not. We've got infinite good games to play, we don't need to bend over for them.

Voice it all you want, but it has nothing to do with game itself. Reviews aren't there for angry nerds and their bandwagoning circlejerks trying to "stick it to the man." They're for telling people your opinion of the game. This type of pointless nonsense (along with the retarded memes and other jokes so often voted "most helpful") is why a lot of people don't bother reading Steam reviews at all.

Agreed. People like to use Steam reviews to voice their political opinions, resulting in good games getting bad reviews for reasons that have nothing to do with the games themselves.

Also, Steam reviews generally account for less than 5% of a game's total player base and negative reviews tend to be less than 1%. It's the very definition of "vocal minority." GTAV has already sold over 7 million copies on Steam alone and the vast majority of those customers don't use mods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman
9. Re: IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman Jun 17, 2017, 02:48 Jerykk

Once you've unlocked something, you can access it offline. They patched that in. You still have to be online to unlock it in the first place but after that, you can access it online or offline. If you go back to HITMAN in a few years, you'll still be able to access everything you've unlocked offline.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually remove the online requirements entirely. Server upkeep probably isn't cheap and they no longer have a publisher footing the bill.

7. Re: IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman Jun 16, 2017, 23:18 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 15:11:
The worst part of the last HITMAN game was that it was poi tlessly broken up into episodes and that was Squeenix's fault, not IO's (Squeenix has a hard-on for episodic gaming it seems). Since it will be impossible for them to finance another AAA HITMAN game without getting another publisher or a crowdfunding campaign I say they should work on Freedom Fighters 2 in the interim.

Did you play the first season of HITMAN? Because it actually worked really well as an episodic series. The wait between episodes encouraged you to replay levels and each level had tons of content that could only be discovered through multiple playthroughs. The series has always been about replayability and the episodic format is well-suited to that.

Also, I'm not sure why you think that working on Freedom Fighters 2 would make more sense than continuing to work on season 2 of HITMAN. They've already built the foundations and framework for HITMAN. Now they're just creating content. Creating a new Freedom Fighters game from scratch would be far more expensive. In addition, the episodic format of HITMAN provides a more frequent source of revenue, something that's very important for independent studios. Finally, HITMAN has an established fanbase, which is why there are 6 HITMAN games and several spinoffs. Freedom Fighters only had one game and it wasn't successful enough to spawn any sequels.

3. Re: IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman Jun 16, 2017, 12:26 Jerykk

This could go either way. A game like HITMAN is expensive to create and maintain. I don't know if the game is successful enough to actually pay for itself. Also, it will be difficult for IO to find contract work because most publishers stick with their own internal dev teams now.

I'd be surprised if they didn't start to diversify and start creating smaller games, like Double Fine does. I wouldn't be surprised if HITMAN season 2 is crowdfunded, either.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 4, 2017, 22:44 Jerykk

Kobalt wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 18:08:
Fucking finally. A fighting game where not only is the port not terrible, it's actually better than console. Tekken 7 is the fighting game of the year no question.

Uh, I'm pretty sure SF4 and 5 were better on PC. MK9 and 10 as well (after patches). I think Injustice was too.

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
21. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 4, 2017, 03:57 Jerykk

You have a strange definition of "fluff" and "bloatware."

Steam features that I find useful:
- Cloud saves.
- Trading cards (free money).
- Forums (great for finding patch notes and bug reports).
- Instant messaging (I use it to communicate with people all the time).
- Workshop.
- Wishlist.
- Match invites/joins.
- Curators (easy way to find out if a game is capped at 30 FPS).
- User reviews (good for obscure games or to find out if a game has performance issues that professional reviews ignore).

You may not like Steam but to claim that it is "just" a game delivery service is pretty silly. It offers a wide array of features that most people find useful, which is why it's the most popular of the distribution platforms by a large margin.

News Comments > Consortium: The Tower Video
7. Re: Consortium: The Tower Video Jun 3, 2017, 20:32 Jerykk

Really enjoyed the first game. It was like a mini-RPG with a lot of charm and personality. Looks like the follow-up will retain those strengths.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 3, 2017, 17:50 Jerykk

I'm not sure why anyone would crowdfund an MMO. MMOs are very expensive to make. No amount of crowdfunding will be enough to completely fund an MMO's development or upkeep. $11 million is nothing. The average AAA game costs at least $40 million and that's just for a 10 hour single-player campaign.  

News Comments > IO Interactive Layoffs
11. Re: IO Interactive Layoffs May 24, 2017, 23:52 Jerykk

I feel like everyone complaining about the episodic format hasn't actually played the game.

It has an overarching story, just like the previous games. It is told primary through cutscenes after each mission (just like in the previous games). However, unlike the previous games, there are lots of side-stories in each level that flesh out the lore and characters. The targets are far more developed as well, with plenty of personality, relationships and history to uncover. That's part of what makes multiple playthroughs so rewarding. There's simply no way you're going to learn everything about each target in a single run.

As a hardcore fan of the series, I can honestly say that HITMAN is the best one. Even better than Blood Money. If you boycotted it because of its episodic format, you missed out and potentially helped cause the end of the franchise.

News Comments > IO Interactive Layoffs
4. Re: IO Interactive Layoffs May 23, 2017, 12:28 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on May 23, 2017, 11:30:
Let's face it. Episodic HITMAN was a stupid as fuck choice. Many people are like me and don't just play games because LOLZ FUN GAMEPLAY, and actually want a substantial experience; a good, moving story.

The last game was a motherfucking arcade game. "Here's your target and these are the possible ways to take them out. Find out how and be the ultimate assassin :D".

Fuck off.

Uh, if you're looking for a good, moving story, the Hitman series is the last place you should be looking. It's never had a good, moving story, even when it wasn't episodic. Hitman: Absolution was the only one that tried to be story-driven and that ended badly.

I was skeptical of the episodic format at first but it actually worked really well. HITMAN has the biggest, most detailed and most replayable levels in the series and being episodic encourages you to replay them.

News Comments > Gorescript Next Month; Demo and Trailer Released
1. Re: Gorescript Next Month; Demo and Trailer Released May 17, 2017, 12:23 Jerykk

This isn't really a throwback to anything. There were no shooters that looked like this in the 90's. This looks more like an excuse to not have any real art direction.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 15, 2017, 03:47 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on May 14, 2017, 13:38:
I am still waiting for a GOTY edition. Don't want to buy games in bits and pieces (buy Ultimate for just $10 more! Not including DLC1 - $19.99! DLC2 - $19.99! DLC... And so on).

Rumors seem to suggest that there won't be any DLC because most of the dev team has been moved on to different projects.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 May 14, 2017, 12:48 Jerykk

I thought Prey was great. The level design was fantastic and the game as a whole is much more open-ended than Bioshock or Dishonored. It heavily encourages and rewards exploration so if you enjoy that, Prey is a no brainer.  

News Comments > Square Enix Selling IO Interactive
5. Re: Square Enix Selling IO Interactive May 11, 2017, 23:46 Jerykk

This is unfortunate. The latest HITMAN was great. Quite possibly the best in the series. Unless Square plans on selling the IP along with IO, this basically means HITMAN is dead.

It looks like Square is going to start focusing most of their western developers on Marvel licensed games. Disappointing because I've actually enjoyed most of their western games.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
41. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 12:31 Jerykk

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:49:
Guess that explains why there was no Season Pass.

They expected it to fail.

Not necessarily. None of Bioware's games have had season passes and EA isn't really big on season passes to begin with.

As with DA:I, I think EA believed that ME fans wanted the game to be more like Bethesda's RPGs in terms of scale but forgot that Bethesda generally fills its games with interesting content.

News Comments > EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players
17. Re: EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players May 11, 2017, 04:32 Jerykk

Blahman wrote on May 10, 2017, 16:42:
Flak wrote on May 10, 2017, 05:35:
Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 03:57:
Still the best engine, the best FPS hit detection, the best a lot of things. The main game modes are getting dull as fuck for me after playing the same shit for 15 years, but going to Battlegrounds is just painful trying to aim, shoot, or have your hits reg. Say what you will about BF1, the underlying technology is the high bar for FPS games.

This may be the most frustrating part of all. After DICE LA massively cleaned up the mess than was the launch of BF4, the game evolved into a very tight shooter for it's scale, to this day it's still the most fluid and fun large-scale multiplayer FPS by a large margin. BF1 is a technical marvel on many levels, visuals, audio design, netcode performance among other things. If only they put the same amount of thought into the game and level design. With some fresh ideas, the franchise could really be given a breath of fresh air given the technology they have.

I think EA will likely make a Battle Royale game after seeing PUBG's success. I say bring it on, a little competition can't hurt.

I wouldn't be so sure. They never jumped onto the survival sandbox bandwagon and this is essentially just a variation of that. Also, neither genre has been a proven success on consoles yet.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
26. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 04:28 Jerykk

Would be nice to see actual sales figures for ME:A compared to the previous games.

ME:A had the same issues as DA:I. Too much focus on scale, not enough on quality. Bioware is really bad at open-world design and ME:A would have been better off if they made it a 40 hour game instead of a 100+ hour game. It would have been far more polished and free from the burden of half-assed filler.

News Comments > PC VANQUISH This Month
2. Re: PC VANQUISH This Month May 11, 2017, 02:49 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 11, 2017, 02:08:
Hrm, never heard of this, but this looks pretty cool. Hopefully the port isn't complete shit, though.

I'd be surprised if that were the case. The Bayonetta port was well done and this is probably being handled by the same team.

News Comments > Quake Champions Visor Trailer
1. Re: Quake Champions Visor Trailer May 10, 2017, 23:08 Jerykk

Uh, X-ray vision in Quake is straight up broken. Predicting where your opponents are going to be is a fundamental part of Quake deathmatch and this guy doesn't need to predict anything because he can see through walls.  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 1, 2017, 03:53 Jerykk

I wouldn't put too much weight on Steam reviews. While handy, they represent less than 5% of all people who own any given game. It's quite literally the vocal minority. Steam reviews are often swayed by politics and things that have nothing to do with the game itself. HITMAN got a lot of negative reviews because of its episodic format and Square's questionable marketing, even though the game itself is the best in the series. Torment: Tides of Numenera got negative reviews because some stretch goals from the Kickstarter didn't come to fruition. Then you have negative reviews from people who have played a game for over 300 hours and argue that the game sucks because it gets boring after 280 hours.

Professional reviews tend to be more representative of the overall player base. Mostly casual gamers who go into games blind and don't invest hundreds of hours into them.

14926 Comments. 747 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo