Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tyranny Expansion Next Month
11. Re: Tyranny Expansion Next Month Aug 23, 2017, 23:51 Jerykk

I enjoyed Tyranny quite a bit. It's much more focused than PoE and has little to no filler. You also get to make a lot of interesting choices that have a significant impact on the world around you. The spellcrafting system was pretty cool too, though a bit unbalanced.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow Warrior (2013) Free; New Shadow Warrior 2 DLC
4. Re: Shadow Warrior (2013) Free; New Shadow Warrior 2 DLC Aug 23, 2017, 00:00 Jerykk

Ant wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 20:58:
The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 19:59:
First Brink, now Shadow Warrior.

I need to stop buying games if they're just gonna keep giving them away for free after a few years. I'd save a bundle.

Crap. I missed Brink. What's up with these free recent games?

Brink and Shadow Warrior aren't really recent. SW came out 4 years ago and Brink came out 6 years ago.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Black Forest Games
1. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Black Forest Games Aug 21, 2017, 23:17 Jerykk

I'd love to see a new Desperados/Helldorado game. Shadow Tactics showed that the genre still has legs.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
39. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 21, 2017, 00:54 Jerykk

Citizen P wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 00:28:
I liked DA: I. ME: A was steaming pile dumped on top of a great setting.

That's a strange opinion, considering the two games share most of the same flaws. Specifically, half-assed side-quests and barren environments that are pointlessly large and boring to explore. Seems bizarre that you could enjoy DA:I but hate ME:A.

34. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 21, 2017, 00:01 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 23:43:
WaltC wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 17:29:
Nobody, but nobody comes close to CDPR in game support--it's not even close, CDProjekt is so far ahead. As is well known, they support their games years into the future,

I think Blizzard surpasses them, just saying...

Yeah, the original Starcraft received a new patch this year, almost 20 years after the game's release.

26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 20, 2017, 20:18 Jerykk

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 15:08:
Did it ever really begin?

Actually, yes. ME:A had a lot of post-launch support that addressed many of the issues people had with the game.

It's a shame that EA is abandoning the game/series. For all its flaws, ME:A still had the best combat in the series. If they had cut the filler and focused on a much more concise 40 hour experience instead of a bloated 100+ hour experience, the game would have been better for it. You'd think they'd have learned from DA:I that bigger isn't always better but there was probably a mandate from EA to make their games as big as possible.

News Comments > Quake Champions Early Access Next Week
6. Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 18, 2017, 01:54 Jerykk

Quake Champions actually seems pretty good. I was hesitant about them adding passive and active abilities to each character but it works out pretty well. I've been watching a lot of matches on Youtube and it's fun to see the nuances of each character.  

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
22. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 17, 2017, 00:41 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:14:
swaaye wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:03:
They named it Prey in hopes of selling more copies. You know, mitigate risks a bit by using an established name and the brand power that includes. Unfortunately, it still didn't sell very well from what I've read. Neither did Dishonored 2. Or Deus Ex MD. It's not good for anyone that this game formula doesn't sell well to the masses.

Dishonored 2 is objectively a worse game than Dishonored 1 though (I own and played both), same for Deus EX Mankind Divided, which was objectively a worse game than Deus EX Human Revolution (I own and played both) (And yes, I would say worse already starts when these sequels feel so identical and sometimes even cut-down to their originals that it all just blends together) but for both games it's also because the writing quality took a nose-dive

They're not objectively worse at all. Dishonored 2 and DX:MD both expanded and improved upon their predecessors in numerous ways. Stealth was better, combat better and level design was at least on par. Writing was inferior, true, but that's just one part of the game. Taken as a whole, both games were improvements.

The truth is that immersive sims were never big sellers. DX:HR and Dishonored sold because they were fresh and unique. They are no longer either of those things so they lost that key selling point. Same thing happened with Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 23:32 Jerykk

You could just play the game and not buy any of the loot crates. Crazy, I know. As with any other AAA game with microtransactions, they will be completely optional and redundant, designed specifically for those who are stupid and impatient. Square has been doing this for years, selling DLC that simply unlocks things early that you'd otherwise unlock anyway by just playing the game naturally.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider Trailer
3. Re: Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider Trailer Aug 11, 2017, 04:26 Jerykk

Hopefully this meets the quality bar set by the Dishonored 1 DLC. I have faith in Arkane so I'm pretty sure it will.  

News Comments > Overwatch Getting Deathmatch
9. Re: Overwatch Getting Deathmatch Aug 11, 2017, 04:25 Jerykk

TDM makes sense since the characters were designed to fill specific roles within teams. FFA? Not so much.  

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 04:47 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:17:
@Rilcon: I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies.

The problem we're complaining about here is that now full price games are adopting the monetization techniques of free to play. We hate it when a game diverges from its primary purpose of providing entertainment to become a cash sucking machine. If done unobtrusively like BL2, you hardly notice. But if intrudes into the core gameplay, then it's a huge problem for a game that people paid full price for.

There's a big difference between adding microtransactions and adopting a mobile monetization scheme. F2P mobile games are gated so that you are forced to spend money if you want to progress or compete with other players. That's how games like Candy Crush or Clash of Clans make so much money. I seriously doubt that will be the case in Shadow of War. It's a mainstream AAA game so it's going to be easy by default and you will definitely be able to complete all of its content without grinding or paying for microtransactions.

Make no mistake, the primary purpose of professional game development isn't to provide entertainment. Like any other business, the goal is to make as much money as possible. The trick is doing so in a way that doesn't make customers feel like they're being exploited. Ideally, that means making a quality game that people enjoy and are therefore willing to pay for. However, it's possible to do that AND have completely optional microtransactions that don't have any significant impact on the overall experience. Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and DX:MD have all shown that this can be done.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
13. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:08 Jerykk

No idea why Gearbox is handling their properties so badly. Why even buy the Duke Nukem IP if they aren't going to do anything with it? At least license it to competent developers. I'd love to see what Flying Wild Hog could do with it. And re-releasing Bulletstorm for $50? Really? Who thought that was a reasonable price?

At this point, they should just sell all their IPs to Devolver Digital or something. We might actually see a good Duke Nukem game if they did that.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 16:05 Jerykk

I'm fine with microtransactions as long as they are completely optional. Square has been doing this in their games for a while and it hasn't affected the experience at all.

As for the Silver and Gold editions of the game that each have additional DLC, yeah, that's pretty dumb. The DLC will no doubt be available individually but it would have been a lot more customer-friendly to just have a season pass.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Announced
3. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Announced Aug 4, 2017, 23:36 Jerykk

aka_STEVE wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 08:14:
Otherwise known as "poor man's Portal " ?

The first game was actually pretty good and not a clone of Portal at all. It didn't have any portals and its puzzles revolved around colors instead. Calling Qube a "ripoff clone" of Portal is like saying that Rainbow Six is a clone of Doom or that Max Payne is a clone of Tomb Raider. All equally unfounded claims based on ignorance.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 2, 2017, 00:25 Jerykk

The introduction of Fig has no doubt reduced the amount of game funding done on Kickstarter. Psychonauts 2, PoE2 and Wasteland 3 raised over $11 million total and were all on Fig instead of Kickstarter.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 1, 2017, 03:26 Jerykk

The Sexy Brutale is definitely worth a look if you're interested in a unique take on adventure games.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 23, 2017, 18:22 Jerykk

Luke wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 16:54:
That list says alot about pc gaming ...sad

The list shows that a wide variety of games (both in terms of genre and budget) can be successful on PC. How is that sad?

News Comments > DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend
11. Re: DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend Jul 20, 2017, 00:16 Jerykk

The multiplayer focus of the DLC and marketing is still bizarre to me. Nobody cares about the MP and if they want a multiplayer id game, they can just play Quake Champions. I have no idea why Bethesda thought Doom's multiplayer would be more popular than its single-player, especially when that has never been the case for any of the games in the series.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 16:57 Jerykk

It would be better if we could call more than 2 games on that list art. And in case of W3 that's only half-true imo, as a whole package (expansion and game) it's definitely exceptionally good, but art? Nier:A is the only game in that list where you walk away after completing the primary 3 endings with a new collection of thoughts and emotions you never thought about before. And that is the very definition of art.

Technically, that's not the definition of art. The actual definition is pretty vague and any of the games in the list could qualify. Art can be divisive and evoke a large range of emotions. It can make you laugh, it can make you cry, it can make you rage. You hate many things about GTAV but hate is an emotion too. PUBG definitely evokes emotion from its players, which is why the game has sold millions of copies instead of dying within a week like so many other multiplayer games.

14958 Comments. 748 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo