Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14746 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 20:37 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 20:31:
How much is it worth playing MGS: Ground Zeroes before starting The Phantom Pain?

I bought both at the same time and I've played a few GZ missions (the story mission, rescuing Hideo, blowing up AAA, assassinating 2 officers). It is only 16% completed but if much of the rest is stuff like marking enemies quickly, I think I can live without it. I don't know what carries over between the games.

You'll get some additional staff for your Mother Base in MGS5, which will let you unlock weapons and items faster. I think you might get some unique items too.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2015, 20:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 17:00 Jerykk

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 11:50:
I really want to try the Metal Gear series again. I tried a demo of Snake Eater or Guns of the Patriots... years ago and didn't like it much. From the videos I have seen I think I'll love the stealth options but hate the storyline. One reason I am waiting for the price to drop or possibly catching it on a Steam sale this Holiday season.

Thankfully, the story in MGS5 is pretty low-key and mostly optional. The prologue is pretty painful but after that, you get into the actual game and things get a lot better.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Sep 12, 2015, 21:05 Jerykk

I was never a big fan of Mack's videos. He's obnoxious and intentionally dense and likes to fixate on minor nitpicks that often boil down to his own personal bias more than anything even remotely objective. He did a video review of Oddworld and repeatedly stated he hates platformers throughout the whole thing. Why even review a platformer if you hate the genre? So stupid. Not sure what Blue finds entertaining about him.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video
25. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 22:18 Jerykk

Red wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 20:12:
descender wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 13:36:
I wish they'd just reboot this already. The gameplay in FO3/NV is boring as fuck. I don't understand the swooning over either game.

FPS combat was simply a terrible (and poorly implemented) mechanic for this franchise.
Is it only possible to realize this if you're old enough to have played the previous games? Because I am an old fart and agree with you one meelion percent. But when I try to explain how this sucks to younger people, they react like I have no idea what I'm talking about. "Just play it in third person if you hate FPS so much." They have truly no idea what they're even talking about, or what I'm talking about. They just have no concept of what tactics oer turn-based gameplay even is. They grew up with literally every game as FPS in some way or another.

You sound surprised that 2D, isometric, turn-based CRPGs appeal to a niche audience. The vast majority of Bethesda's audience has never played a traditional CRPG. They are much more likely to have played Halo, CoD, Uncharted or other big-budget action games. As such, it makes sense for Bethesda to turn Fallout into more of a shooter than an RPG because that's what their primary demographic wants. Hell, I work at game dev studio and I'd be surprised if even a quarter of our team has ever played the original Fallout. That's very likely true of Bethesda as well.

News Comments > First Wonder Trailer
9. Re: First Wonder Trailer Sep 11, 2015, 22:14 Jerykk

The hilarious writing was a huge part of Giants' appeal. If First Wonder doesn't have that, I don't think it'll be able to recapture what made Giants so great.  

23. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 16:30 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 09:40:
If I remember correctly in Skyrim you leveled skills by using them. Additionally you had special magic 'perk' tree at each level up where you could unlock specials within the specific skill sets. This is not how it was done in any of the previous Fallout games, so is this how its going to be done now?

When you level up in FO4, you can unlock or upgrade a perk, ala Skyrim. There are no skills anymore, as those have been replaced by perks. The perks are tiered under each attribute and have to be unlocked in sequential order, unless you have a sufficiently high number in the respective attribute. So if you have a 1 in INT, you'll have to unlock the tier 1 INT perk before you can unlock the tier 2 INT perk, then the tier 3 INT perk, etc. If you have a 10 in INT, you can unlock any of the tiers at any time.

At least, that's what I understand from reading various sources. It would be nice if BGS were more forthcoming with details.

16. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 06:58 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 04:37:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 03:59:
As for character progression, neither Morrowind or Skyrim were good at that, mainly because the skill system is based on grinding rather than XP. As such, you can build a character that's a master of everything (and grandmaster of all the guilds). There is no meaningful choice when you can be good at everything. Forcing the player to specialize (and thus play a specific role) is the foundation of RPGs.

FWIW, it would seem that the changes they're making with FO4 should actually force more specialization than in FO3 or NV. If there are no skills to level up, you aren't compelled to max out INT on every character you play and hoard magazines to push all relevant ones to 100. If instead you have their functionality tied to perks that are gated by SPECIAL stats, you can't become good at everything. Well, unless it turns out there's a way to max out all of your attributes, I guess. Let's hope not.

I think it was a problem of balancing more than any fundamental flaws with the system itself. Aside from INT giving too many skill points per level, there were perks (which you got every level in FO3) that boosted your attributes and skills (and could be used multiple times). In addition, skill magazines were way, way too common. Things were better balanced in NV, though still too generous.

I'm not immediately adverse to the new perk system in FO4, though I do wonder how it will affect skill checks. How will lockpicking and hacking work? Will there be any speech checks? If so, will they actually be useful now (ala NV) or the same drivel we had in FO3?

There's been surprisingly little information released about the game considering that it's coming out in two months.

13. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 04:06 Jerykk

After rereading your original post, it appears you may not be aware of how the perk system works in FO4. They basically replaced skills with Skyrim's perk system. When you level up, you can buy/upgrade perks which give you unique actives or passives. So there is still character progression, it just isn't the same system as in the previous games.  

12. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 03:59 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 03:33:
I beg to differ Jerykk. The Elder Scrolls series have been very good at RPG elements like lore, dialogue, skill checks, quest design and character progression. Especially Morrowind and Skyrim.

Morrowind, I might agree with (except for dialogue and skill checks, which I don't think any ES game has). Skyrim? Not so much. Dialogue options were basically non-existent. Lore was okay, though that's because most of it was written pre-Oblivion when BGS had decent writers. Skill checks? Non-existent. Quest design? Pretty awful.

I distinctly remember the serial killer quest line in Windhelm. I unknowingly snuck into the killer's house, picked the lock on his chest and stole his diary where he basically confessed to all the killings. Then I tried showing the diary to the guards but there was no dialogue option for that. Okay, let's try the Jarl. Nope, no dialogue options. Maybe the women who was investigating the murders? Nope, no dialogue options. What the hell? I had evidence that proved who the killer was (or at the very least, warranted his arrest and interrogation), yet there was no way for me to use it because the quest designers hadn't accounted for the fact that you could obtain the evidence before the quest line was finished. That = bad quest design. Then there's the fact that many of the guild quests were just generic "go to random dungeon and kill/obtain random enemy/item" with no real backstory or interesting NPCs.

As for character progression, neither Morrowind or Skyrim were good at that, mainly because the skill system is based on grinding rather than XP. As such, you can build a character that's a master of everything (and grandmaster of all the guilds). There is no meaningful choice when you can be good at everything. Forcing the player to specialize (and thus play a specific role) is the foundation of RPGs.

It's kind of weird that you praise Skyrim yet decry FO4 when FO4 is clearly becoming more like Skyrim (which was far less of a CRPG than Morrowind).

News Comments > SOMA Creature Trailer
8. Re: SOMA Creature Trailer Sep 11, 2015, 03:07 Jerykk

I have a feeling this won't be as well-received as Amnesia. Apparently many of the controversial design choices in A Machine For Pigs were mandated by Frictional, not The Chinese Room. From what I understand, SOMA (like AMFP) is focused more on psychological horror than outright terror. I'm perfectly okay with that (I enjoyed AMFP) but I think many people will want to be scared rather than disturbed.  

10. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 02:56 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 02:17:
So no skills? No unarmed? No melee?? No Big Guns? Etc. etc.

What the fuck were they thinking? First they gut the story, then they pervert the combat, now they 'streamline' the underlying RPG system in place since the original games.

So why exactly would anyone want to play this? For the sandbox? For the loot?

Same reason people play any Bethesda RPG: the exploration. They've always been good at making big, detailed worlds that are fun to explore. They've never been good at traditional RPG elements like lore, dialogue, skill checks, quest design, character progression, etc. I'm not sure why anyone would expect that to change.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that the series is straying further and further from its CRPG roots but I'm not exactly surprised. Also, with the resurgence of old-school CRPGs (Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland, Pillars of Eternity, Dead State, UnderRail, Age of Decadence, Torment, Bard's Tale, Shadowrun, etc), I feel like my traditional RPG needs are pretty well satisfied.

6. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 10, 2015, 21:43 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 19:57:
SPECIAL was originally named that because the licensing for the GURPS system fell through during development of the original Fallout back in the 90s... but the release version was still fairly reflective of those ideas

this is so far removed from GURPS im just wondering whats the point? other than just straight-up name-dropping bullshit

im not a fan of how beth degraded this series over the years.. not a fan at all

they could have easily made their own game - but you see no one would care because it would have to stand on its own merits rather than riding the coattails of a legendary RPG series.. and the merits of beth's series are mediocre at best in comparison to the originals

Pretty sure Bethesda would do just fine with an original IP. For all intents and purposes, Oblivion and FO3 were new franchises because 95% of the audience had either never played or heard of either series before then. Old-school CRPG enthusiasts are a very niche demographic, sadly. In spite of its numerous design choices that piss off said demographic, FO4 will still sell millions of units and receive plenty of GOTY awards simply because it's the next big RPG from BGS.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 10, 2015, 00:45 Jerykk

It's really remarkable how EA hasn't abolished Bioware Points yet. Nobody in existence likes them and nobody wants to use them. That's why EA isn't using Bioware Points for DA:I or any future Bioware games. So why not get rid of them for older Bioware games too? I'd love to play the DLC for ME3 but I'm not going to spend $40 on Bioware Points to do so.  

News Comments > Steam Top Nine
40. Re: Steam Top Nine Sep 7, 2015, 16:36 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 10:29:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 06:10:
I'm probably going to regret asking this but what exactly is your criteria for a $60 game? Most people would agree that MGS5 is worth $60, given the amount of content it offers and the quality of said content. The game currently has a Metacritic score of 9.5. Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What specifically makes you feel like the game is only worth $10?

Then don't ask. And it's not $60 where I live, it's $75 plus tax, so almost $85. I don't care if it's GTA there's no way I'm paying that for a fucking game. And as I said after watching people play for a few hours it looks like a $20 or less game. Hence from what I've seen I'd be willing to pay about $10 for it, but that's it. It's worth full price to you? Then spend away.

But what specifically makes it look like a $20 or less game to you?

News Comments > Steam Top Nine
34. Re: Steam Top Nine Sep 7, 2015, 06:10 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 13:45:
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 13:29:
Much in the same way it's possible to make a point without being a dick?

That would be asking too much of Harlock. I don't think I've ever seen him even pay so much as a compliment without it being backhanded.

I spent a few hours checking out Max and MGS on Steam broadcasts the other night. It convinced me to take the plunge on Max - got a copy of G2A for $22 CDN. I'm wholly unconvinced about MGS - especially for the outrageous price they're asking for it. I may grab it when it gets down to the $10 or less category where it really belongs.

I'm probably going to regret asking this but what exactly is your criteria for a $60 game? Most people would agree that MGS5 is worth $60, given the amount of content it offers and the quality of said content. The game currently has a Metacritic score of 9.5. Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What specifically makes you feel like the game is only worth $10?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 21:02 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 13:50:
The concept behind hit to kill isn't that different in the Western world. Those with money never facing real punishment is a common theme everywhere.

Except the people committing these crimes aren't all rich. I doubt most of the perps would have enough money to bribe the prosecutors. It may be a matter of practicality. Declaring something an accident is a lot cleaner and cheaper than declaring it a homicide.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Video Diary
2. Re: Just Cause 3 Video Diary Aug 28, 2015, 04:46 Jerykk

So... you loved JC2, despite the fact that it was SP only and that MP was only introduced via an extremely buggy mod years later, yet you are boycotting JC3 because it doesn't have co-op?

What?

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
45. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 28, 2015, 00:32 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 07:04:
Jerykk get some common sense. We did this dance before with you falling to the floor.

Obsidian sequeled the Fallout series, SWTOR series, NWN, made SPSOT, Wasteland 2, marketed with constant dips in the Baldurs Gate pool, etc. AND, are going to be making the Pathfinder series. They have some of the heftiest RPG nostalgia factor in the business with plenty of modern mega hits, all before the Pillars hype.

No, Obsidian took virtually no risk with their kickstart funded game.

Firstly, Obsidian did not make WL2. That was inXile. Avellone did the writing for a companion or two but that was the extent of Obsidian's involvement.

As before, you seem to be confusing "strong reputation among niche RPG enthusiasts" with "rolling in cash." None of Obsidian's games have been critical or commercial hits. Popular on RPGCodex? Sure. Popular among the other 99.99% of the gaming audience? Not so much. Fallout: New Vegas sold well because of the brand but Obsidian didn't see a penny in royalties. Same with South Park (note that the sequel isn't being developed by Obsidian). Obsidian has nowhere near the reputation or financial security of studios like Bioware.

Launching a Kickstarter isn't free. It takes a lot of preparation and a lot of upkeep. This requires people who need to get paid. It's important to remember that Obsidian's biggest project was canceled shortly before they started planning the Kickstarter. They had to let many staff go but retained some in the hope that they could roll on to PoE should the Kickstarter succeed. Had it failed, the money spent on retaining these people would have been wasted and they would have been let go anyway. Obsidian needed PoE to act as a buffer so they could keep people working until more projects were signed.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed
14. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed Aug 27, 2015, 01:34 Jerykk

JoeNapalm wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 17:45:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 17:12:
Since when is "30 FPS" a recommended system requirement? People don't by FPS hardware, they buy video cards...

Huh? Oh. No, I had to read it again, but I don't think that's what it says.

They're saying that the recommended requirements, once finalized, will run the game at 1080p @ 30fps.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

That's the problem. In 2015, recommended PC specs should target 1080p60, not 1080p30. If they're targeting 30, that means they're having trouble getting the game to run at 60. Given the lackluster performance of the previous game, this is not surprising.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
36. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 27, 2015, 01:23 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 23:50:
Redmask, more posts like your last and you're sure to convince others of your maturity. Nice thin gaming skin son!

Obsidian risked nothing, big AAA company, no kickstarter funding, no game. Larian used their own funds as a last ditch effort to form a new IP, and needed some more kickstarted. The gameplay was quite innovative, unlike anything we've seen in the RPG arena, with plenty of physics based combat to boot. It also included a single player global which I *really* enjoyed till the redmasks of the world ruined it.

My points stand, the comparison was made as an good example. I enjoyed both as I've mentioned before, but D:OS was far better. Larian also did not ride the DLC train, Obsidian is already on to the milking the cows part. Moo.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You act like Obsidian is Activision or something. Newsflash: Obsidian is not rolling in money. Like any other work-for-hire studio, their survival is entirely dependent on each project they sign. With publishers growing increasingly conservative and moving development in-house, signing said projects is only getting harder, which is why Obsidian is working on weird, non-RPG stuff like Armored Warfare. A studio of that size needs to be working on multiple projects at any given time. They have to take whatever they can get. If the PoE kickstarter had failed, Obsidian would have had to let people go.

So yes, Obsidian definitely took a risk with PoE.

14746 Comments. 738 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo