Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14748 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
49. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 5, 2015, 03:24 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 21:57:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 19:36:
"Our new game has all the shiny graphics from 2010!"

KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 19:24:
Still Gamebryo...

That's never going to change. It would take them YEARS to write a new engine with the same level of mod support as they have in this one.

yeah, new engines do take years... so? they're working on a 20 year old engine, they make boat loads of cash from every game they ship with it, why haven't they been working on this in the background?

don't worry though, all that money they make from ESO/Fallout games is going to go to a good use, they're going to buy angry birds for 7 billion dollars.

it's call of duty syndrome, if you can still ship tens of millions per title, why even *think* about changing a winning formula. why invest? they have no competition, so just keep slapping a new coat of paint over this rotting corpse.

things like shaders, textures etc, people can mod, it's the skeleton that it's all attached to which needs replacing.

Assassins creed, Battlefield, shit even The Witcher are all on next-gen engines, why the fuck are these clowns not developing one of their own!? I remember thinking the same thing after skyrim... almost 5 years ago, they could have had a sick new engine by now

The only issue I see with FO4's graphics is the texture work. It looks low-res and that's definitely not a limitation of the engine (see all the 4K texture packs for Bethesda's previous games that used the same engine). With the updates to the engine's lighting and post-processing, it is certainly capable of producing pretty graphics. But again, the texture work holds it back. It's important to distinguish between technical limitations and artistic limitations.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment Next Year
17. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 15:49 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 15:37:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 15:23:
What I don't understand is your fixation on release dates. Who cares when a game is released as long as it's good? Hell, just look at Arkham Knight on PC. Or AC: Unity. Or X: Rebirth. Or any number of games that should have been delayed until they were actually ready for release.

Common sense dictates that an RPG is going to take more than a year to develop and will probably be delayed like every other RPG in existence. I'm perfectly fine with that if it results in a more polished experience.

Because anything and everything should be done on time and on budget. This isn't government incompetence and theft we're talking about but a business. If it's not coming in on time and on budge than you're got the wrong people managing it. Imagine if the entire world worked that way wheere things just showed up whenever. Go to a restaurant and ask for a meal, the server tells you 15 minutes and it shows up 3 hours later. What you're saying is you have zero problem with that. Or a contractor doing a 3 month reno for you turns it into 3 years and 100% more expensive than he gave you a quote for? You're just fine with that, are you?

Talk about terrible analogies. Different industries and services have different standards. When you go to a restaurant, you expect to be served within 15 minutes because that's standard for restaurants. Food is also a necessity where timing is important (if you don't eat a minimum amount of food within a certain duration of time, you will die). You will not die if a videogame gets delayed. When you fund an RPG on KS, you should not expect it to be done within a year because that's not standard for KS RPGs. Also, the game being delayed does not incur any extra expenses on your behalf. It's not like you're being charged more.

As a gamer, your only concern should be the quality of the games you play. Whether a game is on time or on budget has no impact on you because you aren't a publisher, a retailer or an investor expecting ROI within a certain amount of time. If you do consider yourself an investor and are expecting ROI, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what KS is and really shouldn't be using it.

13. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 15:23 Jerykk

What I don't understand is your fixation on release dates. Who cares when a game is released as long as it's good? Hell, just look at Arkham Knight on PC. Or AC: Unity. Or X: Rebirth. Or any number of games that should have been delayed until they were actually ready for release.

Common sense dictates that an RPG is going to take more than a year to develop and will probably be delayed like every other RPG in existence. I'm perfectly fine with that if it results in a more polished experience.

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
18. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 12:35 Jerykk

intermarer wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 10:55:
Jeez, this looked kinda... crappy. Has the graphics been upgraded at all?

Yes. Textures are higher-res, meshes have more polygons, exteriors actually have shadows and lighting is much improved all around.

7. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 12:33 Jerykk

Does anyone actually believe the ETAs for any given Kickstarter, especially after stretch goals are added? Games get delayed all the time. Usually, these delays occur before release dates are announced but with KS, you don't have that luxury.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal
10. Re: BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal Nov 2, 2015, 12:29 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 12:00:
Primalchrome wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 11:36:
One of two kickstarters I backed that I am really excited about. I particularly like how they didn't put up any further stretch goals. Instead they state that any further money will be for polish and co-op PvE.

These devs are assholes, instead of making it a Coop game, they fucking went for pvp. This is why I did not fund them.

Wow. I usually scoff at claims of gamer entitlement but this really exemplifies it. HBS aren't "assholes" just because they didn't do exactly what you wanted them to. Battletech is traditionally PvP so having PvP in the game makes perfect sense. Co-op would have been nice, sure, but PvP is more important if they want to be authentic to the source material.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 2, 2015, 04:39 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 20:48:
Same here. It would be awesome to get a game for once where the focus lies 100% on the single player experience. I really hope they fail to reach $2.5 million.

Battletech was originally a PvP game so it makes sense for it to include PvP.

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
29. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 2, 2015, 04:11 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 02:24:
Well Im not one of those numbers. I was all set to re-install Steam over the weekend and try Total War Arena, but I got an urge to fly instead and spent most of my PC time with DCS.

"Re-install" Steam? How do you not keep it installed when 90% of modern games require Steam? Unless you skip AAA releases entirely.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
35. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Nov 2, 2015, 03:27 Jerykk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 05:44:
Asmodai wrote on Oct 31, 2015, 19:04:
https://youtu.be/j30PKp_Wub0?t=327

Everyone should run screaming to get their refunds...

The things he shows there have been a disease of "PC" games for a long time. Ever since console ports started. Most games are massively dumbed down nowadays and coupled with extremely shitty controls. Most people have adapted (or actually play with a controller on the PC - LOL). I refused to. Yet I still breeze through those games, because they are so dumbed down so it actually doesnt matter if you do lots of mistakes due to the horrible controls.

Console ports have been around since the early 90's. It's not a new phenomenon and not the reason why games have been dumbed down. No, games have been dumbed down in order to appeal to a larger audience. This is the result of development costs rising exponentially since the 90's. If you want the high production values of AAA games, you'll have to accept that said games are going to be more simplistic and accessible. If you don't care about high production values, there are plenty of hardcore indie games out there.

21. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 20:09 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 20:05:
nimski wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 19:05:
With those numbers I'd guess they would be smurf accounts or a new scam brewing. Valve would know where they're coming from and how they're being used however.
Agreed. The record set today ended up being 13,480,916. 25% growth in 2 weeks is not natural for a long established service like Steam (even with DOTA/CS/TF2), so someone is screwing around and creating a bunch of accounts.

Given how distinct the spike is, I'm wondering if maybe a handful of people are creating and logging in a bunch of accounts just to push the peak number higher for amusement.

Possible, but I think it's more likely that CS and DotA2 are just super popular. They both had over 7 million players in the past two weeks.

13. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 17:29 Jerykk

While the vast majority of Steam users likely only play CS, DotA2 or TF2, the minority is still large enough to support other games. If that wasn't the case, nobody would bother releasing games on PC.

As always, if you're making a game, you need to make sure you have a specific target audience in mind and adjust your scope and budget appropriately. Seems like a lot of publishers fail to do this, resulting in games that sell 2-3 million copies but still fail to "meet expectations."

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
22. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Nov 1, 2015, 01:33 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Oct 31, 2015, 19:17:
Asmodai wrote on Oct 31, 2015, 19:04:
https://youtu.be/j30PKp_Wub0?t=327

Everyone should run screaming to get their refunds...

People shouldn't listen to retards like that guy from WorthABuy. His shit isn't WorthAWatch. Yes...spam X to get no experience and don't learn how to play the game. You eventually get your ass kicked beyond the first 10min of the game...but yea, go ahead, spam X.

Very much this. I thought it was pretty well-established that Mac is an idiot and that his opinions are basically worthless. Not sure why people even watch his videos.

News Comments > The Technomancer Trailer
5. Re: The Technomancer Trailer Oct 31, 2015, 02:49 Jerykk

Hopefully the combat isn't as clunky and tedious as it was in War Logs. Hopefully they have better writers too.  

News Comments > Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games
19. Re: Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games Oct 31, 2015, 02:48 Jerykk

Tribes Vengeance had a surprisingly compelling single-player campaign. It didn't really represent the online experience in any way but the story and mission design were interesting enough.  

News Comments > Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf
10. Re: Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Oct 29, 2015, 12:23 Jerykk

ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 11:19:
Add me to the legions hoping for a new V:tM game!

This. I don't think Paradox has the money to make a full 3D RPG but I'd be perfectly okay with an old-school, isometric CRPG.

News Comments > Hitman Trailer
6. Re: Hitman Trailer Oct 28, 2015, 23:33 Jerykk

Level looks nice and big. Hopefully most of the buildings can be entered and have detailed interiors.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released
13. Re: Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released Oct 27, 2015, 23:44 Jerykk

loomy wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 21:41:
if you're interesting in this game, take my advice and save yourself some time and frustration. only play the DLC. this game has an hour of gameplay in it and one or two of the DLC is the best of it. I'd say it's worth $30 if you're a big fan, but no more

I wouldn't take that advice at all. If you like stealth, survival horror and Alien, you'll like Alien Isolation. If you don't enjoy all of the above, you might not.

News Comments > The Park Released
4. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 12:24 Jerykk

Apparently this is super short (~90 minutes) and doesn't actually have any gameplay. It has more in common with Gone Home than Amnesia.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preload Plans
23. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 27, 2015, 02:58 Jerykk

Kosumo wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 23:34:
Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 22:53:
I think there's still a market for games like that, but it'll have to come through smaller projects like Kickstarters. No publisher really seems to want to cough up the cash for something like them.

Firaxs/Take 2 with X-COM:Enemy Unknown and the up coming sequal show that there are larger publishers willing to invest money it to that style of game.

Bethesda just was not know for that style of game so made it more in the style that they where known for. (Also, maybe it was a better fit for console gamers as sad as that sounds - I know Fallout: Botherhood of Steel, came out on consoles, did any of the others?)

I still agree with what you said in general. I'm sure that the Fallout universe is a long long way form dying out now. (how long was the gap between the last Fallout game before Fallout 3 and Fallout 3?)

I'd be keen to see a Firaxs Fallout game (isometric) with Chris Avolle (you guys know who I mean) as a spin off.

I don't think XCOM sold very well on consoles, which is why XCOM 2 is PC-exclusive. Bethesda isn't looking to make games that "only" sell 1 or 2 million copies. They want to sell at least 10 million and a game like the original Fallout isn't going to do that.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preload Plans
19. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 26, 2015, 23:30 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 23:19:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 22:23:
This game is sure to have some amazing day one review scores!

I'll be waiting to see what comes up on opencritic, especially with the BS going on with metacritic these days.

Not sure what you're expecting. When was the last time a BGS game didn't get raving reviews and tons of GotY awards?

14748 Comments. 738 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo