Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14724 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > One Hour Just Cause 3 Trailer
6. Re: One Hour Just Cause 3 Trailer Nov 25, 2015, 03:13 Jerykk

Not sure what the point of this is. Hours of non-spoilery gameplay has already been shown on Youtube and Twitch.

Also pretty sure this is PC footage. All the footage they've shown thus far has been PC (using an Xbox controller). Haven't seen any performance issues in the 60 FPS footage I've seen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 23, 2015, 13:35 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 11:55:
I many be biased, but there is no way that this shit hole of a game is better then Fallout 4.

Star Wars is a much bigger IP than Fallout. In addition, Battlefront caters specifically to fans of the original films. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 22, 2015, 18:09 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 22, 2015, 17:04:
They took a chance with that plot, for sure. FO3 is more relate-able, everyone has a dad, but if you're not a parent IRL it's hard[er] to care about a virtual baby.

I haven't quite finished the game yet on my first playthrough, but I started another guy with whom I'm being more sneaky-sneak than barging in with power armor... Already found several meaty quests I missed the first time, even when the map had been about 75% explored. Fantastic game.

When games try to make you feel connections through familial ties, it never works. In real-life, familial bonding is established through years of interactions and experience. Telling me some random person is related to me doesn't establish any kind of bond, especially when my interactions with said people are extremely limited (like with the dad in FO3). I haven't beaten the main questline in FO4 but I'm guessing it follows suit.

I liked FNV's approach a lot better. No arbitrarily imposed relationships. Just curiosity as to who tried to kill you and why.

For what it's worth, the writing in FO4 definitely seems improved over FO3. I haven't encountered anything facepalm-worthy yet and there was plenty of that in FO3. So far, everything seems believable and coherent. No towns built around nukes leaking radiation, no caves filled with kids that somehow survived for 200 years by eating fungus, no slaver towns run by guys dressed like pimps, etc.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
14. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 04:09 Jerykk

The whole "unauthorized seller" controversy is getting silly. It's not illegal to buy and resell keys. Contrary to apparently popular belief, said keys are not inherently "shady." They are not stolen and not Russian (Russian keys are region locked). The two reported incidents of keys being revoked both originated from random sellers on the G2A/Kinguin marketplaces (similar to how Amazon allows third-party sellers on their site). I've bought keys from G2A (not random sellers on their marketplace), CDkeys.com, GMG and plenty of "unauthorized sellers" and never had any problems.

The people who constantly whine about the gray market usually have never even bought anything from said market and are basing their skepticism on pure speculation rather than fact or even personal experience.

Back to GMG, it makes sense that not all publishers would want to sign contracts with them. GMG routinely offers 20-30% off pre-orders (or any game, really) and publishers generally don't like it when such discounts are offered so early.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
21. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 05:18 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 03:23:
Doma wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 03:04:
Oh and skills are out! (In a RPG!!!) and the Mass Effect dialogue wheel isnt exactly an upgrade.

Put it up against a proper RPG like The Witcher 3 that also came out this year, its just sad.

The perk tree in FO4 is no different than the way you unlock skills in the various trees upon level-up in The Witcher 3... It made me chuckle, the way you put those two contradictory statements together. What difference does it make to be rid of the extraneous 1-100 values, when all that mattered before was the 4-5 breakpoints we're left with now anyway?

The perk tree in FO4 is actually better than the one in Witcher 3 because in W3, you can only have 12 perks active at a time. As a result, you end up spending points on perks you can't even use.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
28. Re: Interior Lighting Sucks!! Nov 10, 2015, 12:34 Jerykk

Orly wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 12:30:
Is it just me or does the interior lighting look horrible?? And is anyone else suffering from horrible brightness outside?? Its like a bloom nightmare. It just strikes me to not see anyone mention it. Im wondering if its just me. Any fix for that. There is no gamma or brightness adjustment to be seen anywhere?

The game is washed-out by default. They're going for a more "realistic" aesthetic.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
49. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 8, 2015, 21:07 Jerykk

When you use the name of an established RPG franchise like Fallout, you will inevitably be judged by the same standards as said franchise. As such, it's completely reasonable to compare Fallout 4 to previous games in the series.

That said, I do agree that people should know what they're getting by now. After Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim, Bethesda has firmly established that it is good at making big worlds that are fun to explore and bad at making RPGs. If you buy a BGS game, you should do so with the expectation of a big world that's fun to explore. That's it. You have no reason to expect good writing, good combat, good graphics or traditional RPG elements because those are areas where BGS fails. Again, these failings don't mean that BGS' games are bad. I've played and enjoyed all of them. However, that's because I know what I'm getting and I expect nothing more. It's entirely possible to enjoy a game while recognizing its flaws. Now, if we're lucky enough to have Obsidian make another Fallout game, I'll definitely judge it by different standards because Obsidian excels in different areas than BGS.

47. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 8, 2015, 17:58 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 17:11:
It's weird how some people around here like to hate on popular games as if that makes them cool or more sophisticated. We've seen that with anything by Bethesda, with Battlefront, with Star Citizen... any time a game is popular there are some here who will bash it.

There are a lot of valid reasons to bash Bethesda. They've been oversimplifying their games and removing RPG elements since Oblivion. Fallout 4 is no exception, with the complete removal of the skill system and the addition of the 4-option dialogue wheel that, when combined with the fully-voiced player character, greatly reduces the number of potential dialogue options you can have. Fallout has a rich RPG history so it's understandable that old-school Fallout fans would be offended by the changes Bethesda has made to the series.

Then there's Bethesda's writing, which is easily the worst among AAA WRPG developers. The writing in Fallout 3 was simply awful, with paper-thin characterizations, black and white morality, completely illogical lore and quite possibly the worst speech checks I've seen in any RPG ever.

So while there are definitely some who hate on anything popular, I think most people rail on Bethesda for legitimate reasons. That doesn't mean Bethesda makes bad games but for people looking for traditional RPG experiences, Bethesda's recent output has been pretty underwhelming.

45. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 8, 2015, 14:24 Jerykk

Task wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 09:58:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 19:50:
Not sure why people are so fixated on FO4's presentation. When has a Bethesda RPG ever had good textures or animations?

From what I've seen and read, FO4 isn't going to surprise anyone. It will offer a big, detailed world that's fun to explore and filled with relatively interesting things to do. It won't offer good graphics, good writing, good balancing, good combat or good implementations of traditional RPG elements. I'm not sure why you'd expect any of the latter if you've played any BGS game after Morrowind.

Here's a good question though. Why don't people expect or demand of them to improve on those other missing key facets (besides graphics), like filling that open world with a realistic, meaningful setting (side quests that feel impactful/matter, engaging story, etc.)? Otherwise, the Elder Scrolls series will regress more as it has; right along side with their "vision" of Fallout.

I would like to one day play a Bethesda game and not only expect an interesting open world, but an experience that is not shallow. It's become an increasing tiring affair ever since Oblivion. The game doesn't even have to have amazing graphics, but if Polish developers can do it, then it shouldn't be an impossible leap for Beth.

I expect a FO game, especially as a fan of FO1/2/Tactics to not just be an open world.

People don't expect those things because Bethesda never delivers them. It doesn't make sense to expect things from Bethesda that they have no history of doing.

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
10. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 7, 2015, 21:54 Jerykk

4D-Boxing wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 08:47:
SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 03:20:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:56:
$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

As long as I like what I see once I have a chance to play the beta, it would be an easy buy.

I think a MP-only game can't survive in today's environment without being F2P. MAYBE Blizzard can pull it off because of their fan base, but MP only games need a large player base so that matchmaking and queue times are short and your barrier to entry is as small as possible.

Honestly, I would of loved it if Evolve and Titanfall had been F2P selling mechs, loadouts, hunters and monsters. I pay for the parts of the game I like and am assured that there will always been a number of free players around for quick matchmaking times months down the road.

I would put money on seeing microtransactions for this down the road though. Might be 6 months or a year before we see them, but the game's design just begs for it. They might even pull a TF2 and switch to F2P completely at some point at which I'll give the game a gander rather than risk $40 on something that, although unlikely due to the "It's Blizzard" factor, will be dead in a few months.

Interesting, you make some good points. I've always seen TF2 as a "one off". Right place, right time. Place = packaged in the Orange box, Time = few new twitch shooters available. Walking Dead episodic games had the same conditions. IMO Tribes Ascend, Hawken and PlanetSide 2 suffered from being f2p. I and others see f2p as a sign the title will be mediocre. The new UT is going that route and is already a ghost town.

I really can't see this doing well at all. Doom is scheduled to come out a few months before and it will probably have a server browser and mabey even LAN support. I'm one of those who's never had a good experience with matchmaking in fps, Blizzard may have the $ and infrastructure (battlenet) to make it work but, the lack of a server browser is like releasing a PC fps without mouse support but, that's a personal view. (if they want to eliminate server browser at least come up with a better option not a less feature rich one like matchmaking)

I don't think the Blizzard factor will kill the game, ignoring what PC fps fans expect as basic features guarantees the games early demise (server browser, LAN, MOD support etc..) put all those things in there and the game will have a healthy player base and longevity.

(just woke up and may not be making sense)

Eh... what? You really think Doom's MP won't be a ghost town? I've played it and it's a massive disappointment for anyone expecting a successor to Q3. The new Doom's MP will be about as popular as D3's MP, which is to say, not popular at all.

Overwatch is going to be massively more successful than Doom or any other MP shooter that isn't CS:GO.

34. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 7, 2015, 19:50 Jerykk

Not sure why people are so fixated on FO4's presentation. When has a Bethesda RPG ever had good textures or animations?

From what I've seen and read, FO4 isn't going to surprise anyone. It will offer a big, detailed world that's fun to explore and filled with relatively interesting things to do. It won't offer good graphics, good writing, good balancing, good combat or good implementations of traditional RPG elements. I'm not sure why you'd expect any of the latter if you've played any BGS game after Morrowind.

News Comments > Overwatch Origins Edition Details
18. Re: Overwatch Origins Edition Details Nov 6, 2015, 23:12 Jerykk

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 21:08:
Do we have a list of all these MOBFPS hybrids?

Overwatch
Battleborn
the new Epic one..
what else?

I'm not sure why people keep calling Overwatch a MOBA. It has nothing to do with MOBAs. There are no minions, no towers and no bases. You don't level up over the course of the match or buy items either.

Seems like a lot of people have never actually played a MOBA.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Build Planner
9. Re: Fallout 4 Build Planner Nov 6, 2015, 02:30 Jerykk

Red wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:21:
Task wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 10:57:
Since it seems there is now little point to intelligence/perception for questing from the leaks (and seemingly only for building things and not talking your way out of things), max endurance/strength is best ... so 10 STR, 10 END, and then 4 Luck. It only requires 3 luck to get Bloody Mess, Max Bloody mess also kills surrounding opponents, max iron fist (double melee damagex4), max endurance skills, max adamantium, max toughness, max life giver (auto-heal). Ultimate in cheese, definitely some OP easy-time skyrimmy skills in there.
Yeah, I don't understand why the perks seem so obviously imbalanced. I mean, shouldn't all perks have a relatively equal amount of appeal? At least if you maximize any applicable situational strengths. I know that personally I think that's really important.

Sure, I can be bad at a game by being poorly skilled, and that can include creating a poor character build (lacking synergy and general purpose), not just lame twitch instincts. But I shouldn't be a gimp just because I picked a perk that is hands down crap (relative to other options). That's not my poor choices. That's me being a sucker and picking something that no one should ever pick because it's garbage by design.

And reading through all those perks, some of them just seem bad. I mean, the game is combat focused, so like for the most part, shouldn't you maximize at least one combat area, like rifles or melee or something, before you branch out into support skills like lockpicking or town building or any of that stuff?

How good are the perks that let you pacify foes when they have to be lower level than you to even try, when typically in a game your ideal foes are equal or higher than you in level? Once they're lower level, they're probably easy; why bother pacifying or turning them to your side once they're fodder status?

How good are the companion perks when you only get one companion at a time? That especially bothered me. I was hoping at the very least that we could travel with both Dogmeat and another company. But I have to give up the mutt to use someone else? After all the hype they put on Dogmeat being in the game? Lame.

And what about all those weapon/armor mod level perks? They sort of imply to me that I have to get them or my gear will be crap. Or maybe gear does have so much influence and those perks are crap. Will the choice really be balanced??

I know a lot of this seems petty, but to me, building my character is the main thing I look forward to. I love building characters in a game that offers extensive variability. But the same thing will backfire and ruin it if the options aren't properly balanced. I want to make thoughtful decisions, not read a wiki on which useless skills to avoid and thus get stuck with the only cookie cutter build that really works.

Bethesda's RPGs are easy so no, it doesn't make sense to focus on the combat perks first. Better to focus on the lockpicking, hacking and crafting perks, since those let you do things you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Your gear and shooter skills will compensate for lack of combat perks.

It's also important to remember that there's no level cap and you'll be leveling very frequently, so your perk choices won't really mean much in the long-run. As with FO3, you'll have all the perks you want within the first 20 hours of gameplay.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
60. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 23:02 Jerykk

Wait, you can spend perk points to increase your attributes? So it's entirely possible to create a god-like character with maxed out attributes AND maxed out perks? Oh Bethesda, why are you so bad at balancing?  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
9. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 12:30 Jerykk

Whoa, Brotherhood of Steel don't appear to be knights in shining armor anymore. You may even be able to choose which factions you align yourself with and can fight against the BoS if you choose? Maybe they learned something from FNV after all.  

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
50. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 5, 2015, 03:47 Jerykk

LittleMe wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 23:08:
There are several symptoms coming from Bethesda that hint they are (or were) understaffed on engine programmers. I think they just used to not care all that much, otherwise they'd invest more in it. Maybe their buying of id software was a real attempt to address that.

The symptoms were up until now:
  • Buggy releases (Fallout 3 PC is a great example)

• Poor post-release patch support (every game they've made)

• Problems with PS3 DLC crashing so much that they could not fix (did they?)

• Abandoning their games (ALL of their games they have abandoned patch support)

• Modders discover their game engine is riddled with bugs

• Failed to provide 64bit support for PC except for Fallout 4 it has it but only because the consoles need it for >4GB RAM support. They could have provided that to us unless they either didn't care or were under staffed

• Failing to update previous games for modern Windows OS's (other developers are doing this and making good money doing it)

• It's more than just the engine, too. Look at what the SMIM modder has done for Skyrim. He's found lots and lots of texture problems in the game. 'Outright sloppy' is what their work is, too often. The community patch for Skyrim has found how many bugs in the game that Bethesda just didn't care about fixing? One of Bethesda's programmers can't take a weekend of his own time and work with the community to fix some of the bigger issues? That's crazy bad. Steam even allows 'beta' opt-in so it could be considered experimental, etc. That's bad PR for Bethesda.

They just haven't cared all that much to put that final (and most difficult) effort to make the product really great. I'll buy Fallout 4, but I do expect their hype machine to over inflate expectations and I also hope for a fun game but I know their track record all too well. If F4 sucks and/or is dumbed down for 11 year olds then I'll remember that next time.

Why are you guys expecting anything different from what they've already shoveled out before? Somehow they end up making a fun game despite their sloppy half hearted efforts. Well, that's my view of them as a customer anyway.

A few rebuttals:

1) Unlike modders, professional developers don't have the luxury of working on any single asset for months and months. They need to create lots of assets within a certain period of time and as such, compromises have to be made. The SMIM stuff is great but it's mostly just enhancements to trivial things. Ropes, chains, bowls, tomatoes, tables, chairs... lots of generic props that are at the bottom of the art priority list. Same thing goes for the community patches. The vast majority of fixes are for C bugs (i.e. minor bugs) that are at the bottom of the priority list during actual game development.

2) Most of the bugs in Bethesda's games have nothing to do with the engine. Most of the bugs are related to art or scripting, which is understandable given the scope and complexity of these games. The bugs that are engine-related almost always get patched, albeit not as quickly as unofficial fixes because, unlike unofficial fixes, official fixes need to go through rigorous testing across multiple platforms before release.

As a consumer with no insight into actual game development, it's easy to call a developer lazy when their hugely ambitious game has a lot of bugs (coincidentally, every WRPG ever made has a lot of bugs). Unfortunately, it's not a matter of laziness. It's a matter of time and money. Games have budgets and schedules and you can only devote so many resources to any given part of the game. Towards the end of development, you have to stop fixing non-critical bugs because any changes to the game risk creating more bugs and that's something you just can't afford when you're trying to ship a game on time.

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
    49. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 5, 2015, 03:24 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 21:57:
    Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 19:36:
    "Our new game has all the shiny graphics from 2010!"

KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 19:24:
    Still Gamebryo...

That's never going to change. It would take them YEARS to write a new engine with the same level of mod support as they have in this one.

yeah, new engines do take years... so? they're working on a 20 year old engine, they make boat loads of cash from every game they ship with it, why haven't they been working on this in the background?

don't worry though, all that money they make from ESO/Fallout games is going to go to a good use, they're going to buy angry birds for 7 billion dollars.

it's call of duty syndrome, if you can still ship tens of millions per title, why even *think* about changing a winning formula. why invest? they have no competition, so just keep slapping a new coat of paint over this rotting corpse.

things like shaders, textures etc, people can mod, it's the skeleton that it's all attached to which needs replacing.

Assassins creed, Battlefield, shit even The Witcher are all on next-gen engines, why the fuck are these clowns not developing one of their own!? I remember thinking the same thing after skyrim... almost 5 years ago, they could have had a sick new engine by now

The only issue I see with FO4's graphics is the texture work. It looks low-res and that's definitely not a limitation of the engine (see all the 4K texture packs for Bethesda's previous games that used the same engine). With the updates to the engine's lighting and post-processing, it is certainly capable of producing pretty graphics. But again, the texture work holds it back. It's important to distinguish between technical limitations and artistic limitations.

News Comments > Torment Next Year
    17. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 15:49 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 15:37:
    Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 15:23:
    What I don't understand is your fixation on release dates. Who cares when a game is released as long as it's good? Hell, just look at Arkham Knight on PC. Or AC: Unity. Or X: Rebirth. Or any number of games that should have been delayed until they were actually ready for release.

Common sense dictates that an RPG is going to take more than a year to develop and will probably be delayed like every other RPG in existence. I'm perfectly fine with that if it results in a more polished experience.

Because anything and everything should be done on time and on budget. This isn't government incompetence and theft we're talking about but a business. If it's not coming in on time and on budge than you're got the wrong people managing it. Imagine if the entire world worked that way wheere things just showed up whenever. Go to a restaurant and ask for a meal, the server tells you 15 minutes and it shows up 3 hours later. What you're saying is you have zero problem with that. Or a contractor doing a 3 month reno for you turns it into 3 years and 100% more expensive than he gave you a quote for? You're just fine with that, are you?

Talk about terrible analogies. Different industries and services have different standards. When you go to a restaurant, you expect to be served within 15 minutes because that's standard for restaurants. Food is also a necessity where timing is important (if you don't eat a minimum amount of food within a certain duration of time, you will die). You will not die if a videogame gets delayed. When you fund an RPG on KS, you should not expect it to be done within a year because that's not standard for KS RPGs. Also, the game being delayed does not incur any extra expenses on your behalf. It's not like you're being charged more.

As a gamer, your only concern should be the quality of the games you play. Whether a game is on time or on budget has no impact on you because you aren't a publisher, a retailer or an investor expecting ROI within a certain amount of time. If you do consider yourself an investor and are expecting ROI, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what KS is and really shouldn't be using it.

News Comments > Torment Next Year
    13. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 15:23 Jerykk

What I don't understand is your fixation on release dates. Who cares when a game is released as long as it's good? Hell, just look at Arkham Knight on PC. Or AC: Unity. Or X: Rebirth. Or any number of games that should have been delayed until they were actually ready for release.

Common sense dictates that an RPG is going to take more than a year to develop and will probably be delayed like every other RPG in existence. I'm perfectly fine with that if it results in a more polished experience.

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
    18. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 12:35 Jerykk

intermarer wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 10:55:
    Jeez, this looked kinda... crappy. Has the graphics been upgraded at all?

Yes. Textures are higher-res, meshes have more polygons, exteriors actually have shadows and lighting is much improved all around.

14724 Comments. 737 pages. Viewing page 12.
    < Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo