Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14772 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution May Release Confirmed
22. Re: Homefront: The Revolution May Release Confirmed Jan 13, 2016, 01:47 Jerykk

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 20:47:
Dude, why are you being a dick? No seriously.. you don't need to be a dick to me, and I have a valid critique.

The original was a MP FPS, and a lot of people are absolutely surprised that this follow on is not a MP FPS.

Don't be a dick when you're anonymous behind a computer.

Except the original had a full single-player campaign too. Granted, it was short (as was par for the course those days) but it was still a key component of the game.

It actually makes more sense to focus on SP with the sequel. Homefront's MP was never able to compete with CoD or BF and that hasn't changed. It isn't worth investing millions into a multiplayer mode if the target audience is just going to continue playing CoD or BF.

Back on topic, I think this has potential, though from what I've seen, it looks like Far Cry 4 in an urban setting. There's a lot of interesting things they could do with the premise but it feels like they're playing it safe and sticking with the standard open-world formula.

I could totally see an XCOM-like metagame where you're managing resources (recruits, food, medicine, weapons, etc) and choosing between missions based on your needs (convoy ambushes, prisoner rescues, HVT captures/assassinations, sabotage, etc). Train soldiers for more fighting power, scouts to gather resources and intel or medics to tend to the wounded. There could also be a political element where your choices affect the tide of the revolution. Cause too much collateral damage and you lose the support of the people, lowering the number of potential recruits and increasing the likelihood of civilians reporting you or joining government-sanctioned militias. A lot of potential for morally ambiguous choices too (interrogation methods, suicide bombings, handling of traitors and prisoners, etc).

A lot of interesting things that could be done with the series but most likely won't be.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2016, 02:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dying Light PvP Dev Tools
1. Re: Dying Light PvP Dev Tools Jan 13, 2016, 01:41 Jerykk

Great to see how much support Techland is showing this game. I seriously doubt WB is funding any of these tools so that means Techland is going the extra mile to keep the community going.  

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
14. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 12, 2016, 23:20 Jerykk

Cabezone wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 23:18:
You can't just compare this to the 100 dollar price of prime vs other game discounts. It's just part of the prime package.

If you only care about discounts, then Prime is a bad deal. Paying for discounts is always a bad deal. Now, if you're interested in streaming a limited selection of music, movies and TV shows, Prime might be more worthwhile and the discounts would just be a bonus.

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
12. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 12, 2016, 23:15 Jerykk

Underwhelming. You have to pay $100+ a year for Amazon Prime. 20% of $60 (standard MSRP for new AAA games) is $12. Just to break even, you'd need to buy 9 games.

Meanwhile, Greenmangaming.com offers 20% off coupons all the time. Sometimes 25-30% off. And these coupons usually stack on top of other discounts. Then you have sites like G2A, CDKeys, Kinguin, etc, that routinely offer pre-orders for 30-50% off. All without any subscription fees.

Also, Amazon's discount policy towards digital games is terrible. The employee discount doesn't apply towards digital games. Store credit earned through credit cards doesn't apply towards digital games. Discount codes rarely apply to digital games. Amazon needs to step it up when it comes to their digital offerings.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 10, 2016, 22:08 Jerykk

Grokk wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 19:26:
I'm blown away that GTA:V is still near or even top of this list.

I would love to know how many copies of each game these sold in the last week though.

SteamSpy has data for the top-selling games in 2015. Going by that, it looks like GTAV sells about 100k - 150k a month on average.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video
3. Re: Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video Jan 8, 2016, 22:37 Jerykk

I like the setting but the gameplay seems to follow the standard Far Cry formula. The melee combat also looks pretty underwhelming, which is a shame because that's one area where they could have mixed things up.  

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Funded
11. Re: Psychonauts 2 Funded Jan 7, 2016, 23:53 Jerykk

Cpmartins wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 03:49:
Gaming journalism, by non-gaming journalists
Enough fucking said I say.

If you're giving money to Double Fine because you expect to profit from Psychonauts 2, you're an idiot. No video required. The only reason you should give money to Double Fine is if you want to see Psychonauts 2 get made. Consider yourself a fan contributing to a cause. If you see yourself as an investor, you've already failed. This applies to all crowd-funded projects, not just Psychonauts 2.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta & Early Access This Month
16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta & Early Access This Month Jan 7, 2016, 23:33 Jerykk

Am I the only one that thinks the game looks fine? Not sure how people can say it looks generic or bland. Look at all the screens and footage released thus far. There's tons of variety and detail in the environments.  

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
39. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 6, 2016, 12:24 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 16:32:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 15:55:
Sigh.

1) This is not a Windows 10 exclusive.
2) MS has nothing to do with the PC version. It is being published by Square.

Research. It is a good thing to do.

ad 1) I did not say it's a Win 10 exclusive. It is obviously a (timed) Shitbox exclusive, however.

ad 2) MS has nothing to do with the PC version? Right. Except for paying off Squeenix to keep it Shitbox exclusive for a couple months. Also, MS always has something to do with every single Windows-PC release by default since they are the platform holder so unless a game is a Mac or Linux exclusive then MS is always involved in every PC release.

So you might want to take your own advice re the whole research stuff...

You said people should essentially boycott the PC version so that MS doesn't get any money from it. MS is already not getting any money from it. Unlike console games, MS gets no royalties from PC games unless they publish them directly.

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
14. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 5, 2016, 15:55 Jerykk

Sigh.

1) This is not a Windows 10 exclusive.
2) MS has nothing to do with the PC version. It is being published by Square.

Research. It is a good thing to do.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2016, 23:30 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 09:19:
Fallout 4 has a whole bunch of cool quests but they are littered all over the place in between tons of Radiant style nonsense. Just ignore the Minutemen and venture forth.

Beat it over the holidays and thought it was a great time. I'll do a melee build run soon, if the melee perks pan out it looks totally broken in terms of balance.

I'm not sure why Bethesda started doing procedurally-generated quests. They are all generic and forgettable. A complete waste of time and the very definition of filler. I'm guessing they wanted to give players more reason to explore the world but that seems completely unnecessary as exploration was already the highlight of their games (and really the only reason to play them).

No more Radiant quests in Elder Scrolls or Fallout, please.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2016, 23:12 Jerykk

The U.S. has been spying on its citizens since the 50's. It's nothing new and for 99.99999% of the population, it has no impact on their life whatsoever. Opponents of surveillance believe that governments are inherently corrupt and that they will inevitably use any information they gather to either exploit or persecute you. I don't believe that to be true. Totalitarian governments use surveillance to help suppress opposition but they'd be suppressing opposition even if surveillance didn't exist.

Surveillance is inherently neutral. It doesn't turn a democratic nation into a totalitarian one. If it did, the U.S. would have become a totalitarian nation a long time ago (and please don't claim that the U.S. is already totalitarian; if that were true, you'd already be dead or in prison because of your publicly-expressed beliefs).

17. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:39 Jerykk

I think the problem with JC3 is that it doesn't really address the issues with the previous games. Sure, traversal and combat have been improved but the series was in dire need of compelling writing, interesting mission design and more variety overall. Hell, after the popularity of the JC2 multiplayer mod, you'd figure that MP would be a no-brainer for JC3 but I guess not.

If you replaced JC2 with JC3, everybody would have loved it. However, I think that people have grown tired of the formula and lack of improvement on the series' weaknesses. We've seen this with Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty and more recently, Fallout 4. If you're going to make a sequel, it's not enough to simply improve on what the previous games did well. You need to address their shortcomings as well.

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 17:31 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 14:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 13:15:
Games are better and cheaper today,

You're delusional if you believe this, graphics are better no doubt, but that is technologically inevitable. There are plenty of things that were better from that era. When's the last time a modern AAA game released its source code? When's the last time we got dedicated servers that weren't walled garden/steam controlled?

I'm sorry to tell you but things have gone in a much more locked down direction, anyone who denies it is just incapable of accepting that truth.

You act like releasing source code was a common practice in the 90's. It wasn't. The only big studio to do it repeatedly was id and even then, the source code was released years after the game launched. Releasing source code has never been a standard practice for game developers.

I'm all for nostalgia and I have very fond memories of gaming in the 90's but it's important to recognize that novelty was a huge factor. In the 90's, we saw the transition from 2D to 3D. We saw the introduction of a bunch of new genres (FPS, sims, RTS, 6DoF, etc). We don't see that as much anymore. Modern games generally aren't as complex as older games either, but how much of that complexity had a meaningful impact on the overall experience and how much of it was just unnecessary? In addition to greatly improved presentations, modern games have also advanced significantly in areas like AI, physics, controls and UI.

Old games were better in some areas and modern games are better in others. Your particular tastes will dictate which areas are relevant to you but objectively, modern games are stronger in more areas. As for DRM, DRM in the 90's was pretty awful. Remember when you had to refer to manuals or code wheels in order to answer DRM questions? Or when you had to enter 16 digit cd keys every time you installed a game? At least Steam has numerous benefits (two-click installs, automatic updates, cloud saves, achievements, trading cards, chat, matchmaking, leaderboards, etc). DRM in the 90's had zero benefits to the end user.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2016, 17:37.

7. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 17:14 Jerykk

Here's another example: Statues. In JC2, you could wreck a statue, grab its head, tether it to a chopper, then use it as a flying wrecking ball. In JC3? The statue disintegrates into dust 9 out of 10 times. Also, you can no longer just grab a jeep, tether it to the statue and wrench it off it's stand. You HAVE to use explosives to destroy it. It's all gotten so much worse...

That's inaccurate. You can definitely use tethers to destroy statues. I do it all the time.

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
9. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 17:04 Jerykk

I'm shocked.

Seriously though, is anybody surprised by this? Fable Legends has already been confirmed as a Windows 10 exclusive. GoW:UE will most definitely be exclusive. Gigantic supported Vista, 7 and 8 until they signed a deal with MS and now the game is exclusive to 10 as well. Pretty much any game MS publishes from now on will be a Windows 10 exclusive and only available on the Windows App store.

What's sad is that even with their push to promote Windows 10 and the app store, they're still only porting the games they don't really care about. Where's Halo 5? Or Halo: MCC? Where's GoW 4? Crackdown 3?

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 03:20 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 00:14:
People on this site REALLY have a hard time keeping Cliffski and CliffyB separate. I swear half the hate Cliffski gets is because people are associating him with the asinine shit CliffyB has said over the years.

Surprised no one has accused him of being a know-it-all postal worker who spends all his evenings in a bar.

To be fair, Cliffski has said a lot of asinine shit over the years as well. He stopped posting in these threads because he kept getting called out over the nonsense he spewed. In many ways, he reminded me of Derek Smart in that he thought he knew everything about the business and took profound offense to anyone who questioned him.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 03:15 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 23:33:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 22:56:
Flash sales and daily deals didn't disappear because of it. They disappeared for the numerous reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

What were those reasons again?

Greater convenience for all parties involved. No flash sales or daily deals is easier for customers because they don't have to wait or worry about getting the best prices during any given sale. It's easier for developers and publishers because they don't have to worry about making two different discount tiers for each of their games. It's easier for Steam because they don't have to worry about managing the flash sale and daily deal systems. This greatly reduces the likelihood of pricing mistakes occurring when discounts are updated, something that has happened repeatedly during previous sales.

As a cheapass, I lament the loss of opportunities for greater savings but I understand the decision to simplify the sales for everyone involved.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 22:56 Jerykk

They still do this, 20% - 40% discounts are the norm in the winter sale. It's the deep discounts of 75% that have mostly gone. I can understand that, if I paid 30 for a game and it was 7.50 soon after, I'd happily take 22.50 back.

I wasn't talking about base discounts. I was talking about the additional discounts that flash sales and daily deals offered on top of the regular discounts.

If Average Joe wants to save some money and he notices that a Steam sale is going on, he might pick up the games he wants and be done with it. He wants to save some money but doesn't care about getting the best possible deals and therefore won't check the sales every day. To Average Joe, the refund policy is completely irrelevant because he wouldn't know or care about the superior discounts offered by flash sales or daily deals.

Cheapass Joe, on the other hand, wants maximum savings. As such, he already knows that daily deals and flash sales offer superior discounts and will therefore wait until said discounts are available before buying anything. He would never buy games that weren't part of a daily deal or flash sale so the refund policy would be irrelevant to him too.

That's why the refund policy is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Flash sales and daily deals didn't disappear because of it. They disappeared for the numerous reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 18:10 Jerykk

Warskull wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 17:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 17:51:
Cliffski doesn't actually explain why the new refund system kills flash sales and daily deals. He just says that it does. I'm not sure where he's making the correlation. People are less likely to refund a game (or any other product) if it's cheaper.

He also says that the flash sales and daily deals weren't designed to create a false sense of urgency in order increase sales, which is patently incorrect. The whole point of having a time-limited discount is to create a false sense of urgency. The shorter the time-limit, the greater the urgency. It's the reason why Black Friday exists.

It is because you are allowed to refund because an item went on sale. So flash sales and daily deals would generate a large amount of refunds.

However, I disagree that "deep discounts" are over. There are games I didn't buy because their sale wasn't big enough. Developers are still figuring it out. I don't think we will see as many super-sales, but I think devs played this Steam Sale too conservatively. There were a lot of 15% and 25% sales. I think devs just need to find the sale points again.

It is because you are allowed to refund because an item went on sale. So flash sales and daily deals would generate a large amount of refunds.

Except I don't think that's actually true. The customers that don't care enough to check the sales every day won't care enough to refund a game in order to save an extra 15-25%. They wouldn't even know about the flash sale or daily deal because, again, they wouldn't care enough to check the sales daily. The only customers who would do this are the ones who were already waiting for daily deals and flash sales. These customers would never buy anything until it was a daily deal, a flash sale or the last day of the sale because they're the ones that care about maximum savings.

14772 Comments. 739 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo