Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14926 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
13. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:08 Jerykk

No idea why Gearbox is handling their properties so badly. Why even buy the Duke Nukem IP if they aren't going to do anything with it? At least license it to competent developers. I'd love to see what Flying Wild Hog could do with it. And re-releasing Bulletstorm for $50? Really? Who thought that was a reasonable price?

At this point, they should just sell all their IPs to Devolver Digital or something. We might actually see a good Duke Nukem game if they did that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 16:05 Jerykk

I'm fine with microtransactions as long as they are completely optional. Square has been doing this in their games for a while and it hasn't affected the experience at all.

As for the Silver and Gold editions of the game that each have additional DLC, yeah, that's pretty dumb. The DLC will no doubt be available individually but it would have been a lot more customer-friendly to just have a season pass.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Announced
3. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Announced Aug 4, 2017, 23:36 Jerykk

aka_STEVE wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 08:14:
Otherwise known as "poor man's Portal " ?

The first game was actually pretty good and not a clone of Portal at all. It didn't have any portals and its puzzles revolved around colors instead. Calling Qube a "ripoff clone" of Portal is like saying that Rainbow Six is a clone of Doom or that Max Payne is a clone of Tomb Raider. All equally unfounded claims based on ignorance.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 2, 2017, 00:25 Jerykk

The introduction of Fig has no doubt reduced the amount of game funding done on Kickstarter. Psychonauts 2, PoE2 and Wasteland 3 raised over $11 million total and were all on Fig instead of Kickstarter.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 1, 2017, 03:26 Jerykk

The Sexy Brutale is definitely worth a look if you're interested in a unique take on adventure games.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 23, 2017, 18:22 Jerykk

Luke wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 16:54:
That list says alot about pc gaming ...sad

The list shows that a wide variety of games (both in terms of genre and budget) can be successful on PC. How is that sad?

News Comments > DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend
11. Re: DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend Jul 20, 2017, 00:16 Jerykk

The multiplayer focus of the DLC and marketing is still bizarre to me. Nobody cares about the MP and if they want a multiplayer id game, they can just play Quake Champions. I have no idea why Bethesda thought Doom's multiplayer would be more popular than its single-player, especially when that has never been the case for any of the games in the series.  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 16:57 Jerykk

It would be better if we could call more than 2 games on that list art. And in case of W3 that's only half-true imo, as a whole package (expansion and game) it's definitely exceptionally good, but art? Nier:A is the only game in that list where you walk away after completing the primary 3 endings with a new collection of thoughts and emotions you never thought about before. And that is the very definition of art.

Technically, that's not the definition of art. The actual definition is pretty vague and any of the games in the list could qualify. Art can be divisive and evoke a large range of emotions. It can make you laugh, it can make you cry, it can make you rage. You hate many things about GTAV but hate is an emotion too. PUBG definitely evokes emotion from its players, which is why the game has sold millions of copies instead of dying within a week like so many other multiplayer games.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 06:39 Jerykk

What a world we live in when games like GTAV, CS:GO, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, FO4 and Shadow of Mordor aren't even considered decent...  

News Comments > Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane
18. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 30, 2017, 03:57 Jerykk

Rattican wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 21:06:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 03:16:
I think you're just tired of the setting or overall formula. Dishonored 2 has even better level design than the first game and greatly expanded mechanics. The story wasn't as good as the first game's but everything else was a step up. Many people felt the same way about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. That was superior to its predecessor in every way except story but was oft criticized as "more of the same."

It's possible that people are just getting bored of the immersive sim formula in general. Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Prey all sold below expectations. Maybe people just want more linear, guided and story-driven experiences with lots of spectacle. Uncharted and CoD continue to sell like hotcakes, after all.
I think you're right. It's weird though; we haven't exactly been saturated by immersive sim (*) games for a long time, then we get some within the space of a few years. They do require a greater level of attention compared to many other games though - more reading, more hunting in corners for things to find, thinking about how to manage your resources efficiently, and basically a level of thought that most other games don't require. It gets mentally tiring after a while, but it's also my favorite game genre, so fuck me I guess.

* BTW, when did the term "immersive sim" come about? I can't even recall hearing that genre until it just kinda started getting used a few years ago. How'd that happen? Deus Ex for example was always considered an FPS/RPG hybrid.

In the 90's/early 2000's, we didn't get immersive sims very often. SS2 came out in 99, DX came out in 2000 and that was basically it for years. In 2016, we got Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, then in early 2017, we got Prey. Those are three 40+ hour games (if you're thorough) released within a short period of time. Like you said, these games tend to be pretty cerebral and require more investment than most other genres. I can totally see people burning out if they played them all at launch.

As for the term "immersive sim," I think it arose because "FPS/RPG" is too vague these days. Pretty much every game has RPG elements now. For example, Borderlands and Destiny are FPS/RPG but they're nothing like the games we call immersive sims. When people think "immersive sim," they think large, open-ended and complex levels that reward exploration and accommodate both stealth and combat playstyles. Systemic gameplay is also a key element, enabling players to craft their own experience instead of doing exactly what the designers want.

11. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 28, 2017, 03:16 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 02:11:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 23:25:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 20:30:
Can't be a coincidence, first Dishonored 2 and then prey, under bethesda's thumb. Surely this is exactly why Human Head didn't kneel at the bethesda altar.

Not sure what you mean? Dishonored 2 and Prey are both great games. Before Zenimax bought them, Arkane made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Their games under Bethesda have sold significantly more, had much better critical reception and have made the studio a much more established name.

I like Arx and Dark Messiah way more than Dishonored. I didn't play Prey, but from what I saw, I'm not even interested in it. Sure, the new games are selling more, but I'd rather have the old studio back. To me it seems like their new games lack any kind of passion. Like they're just churning AAA games for the money instead of love. They don't evoke much excitement in me, partly because of that.

I couldn't disagree any more. Dishonored and Prey are in no way "AAA churns." They both clearly have a ton of thought put into level design, gameplay systems and world-building. Developers don't put that much thought into games they aren't passionate about (see Call of Duty and Battlefield). You may prefer Arx and DMoMM but it sounds like you just prefer their fantasy settings more than anything else.

Rattican wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 02:50:
When playing Dishonored 2 I just didn't get the feeling that the game had any soul. It lacks a creative spark - it's hard to describe, but it just feels as if it existed because Bethesda wanted a sequel of Dishonored, instead of Arkane actually wanting to make one. It's still a decent game, but it feels too similar to its predecessor even with the new ideas. Prey at least is more interesting, feels fresh even, which is probably why I enjoy the game more.

I think you're just tired of the setting or overall formula. Dishonored 2 has even better level design than the first game and greatly expanded mechanics. The story wasn't as good as the first game's but everything else was a step up. Many people felt the same way about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. That was superior to its predecessor in every way except story but was oft criticized as "more of the same."

It's possible that people are just getting bored of the immersive sim formula in general. Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Prey all sold below expectations. Maybe people just want more linear, guided and story-driven experiences with lots of spectacle. Uncharted and CoD continue to sell like hotcakes, after all.

7. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 27, 2017, 23:25 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 20:30:
Can't be a coincidence, first Dishonored 2 and then prey, under bethesda's thumb. Surely this is exactly why Human Head didn't kneel at the bethesda altar.

Not sure what you mean? Dishonored 2 and Prey are both great games. Before Zenimax bought them, Arkane made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Their games under Bethesda have sold significantly more, had much better critical reception and have made the studio a much more established name.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Thursday
38. Re: Re: Steam Summer Sale Thursday Jun 24, 2017, 21:33 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 14:12:
Quinn wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 02:36:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 14:20:
Kinguin is okay, but there are constantly better deals on CDKeys, GreenManGaming, and a handful others. Nevermind the fact that Kinguin has a $3 "buyer protection" tax. CDkeys doesn't charge that. The price you see is the price you pay.

You can decline the protection with the click of a button xP GMG hasn't ever had lower prices than Kinguin. Maybe on a very rare circumstance.

What I'm saying is CDKeys bakes protection into the price. Kenguin provides the opt-out but they don't guarantee protection. That's what I was referring to.

I think charging $3 for key protection is shady. It's the responsibility of the platform to ensure buyer protection. Buying keys is already a gray market. It would behoove Kinguin and G2A to make protection a standard feature, not a premium.

Agreed. That said, on the one occasion where a key I bought from the G2A marketplace was revoked, they immediately refunded me even though I didn't sign up for their protection plan.

In addition to offering free protection, it would also be nice if they didn't charge extra for payment methods other than their own store credit.

News Comments > HITMAN Free Sample [Updated]
24. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 22, 2017, 00:08 Jerykk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 09:02:
Previous games had a story, as small as it was. But this one is as non-existent as the Doom one (the original one). Actually even less, because sometimes you dont even know why youre there or why youre doing it.

HITMAN has no less of a story than the previous games, though you do have to pay more attention to actually learn it. As I said before, a lot of the story is conveyed through the environment and incidental dialogue and you'll miss most of that if you only play through each level once. I could explain the full story here and it would certainly require more than one sentence.

If you want to read HITMAN's story, go here. It's the basic plot synopsis and doesn't include most of the character development or backstory that you learn through incidental dialogue, of which there is plenty.

I'm not sure what game Beaver played but apparently he didn't pay attention to anything in it. Every mission has a briefing that explains who your targets are and why they need to be killed. If you eavesdrop on the numerous NPC conversations, you learn a lot more about the targets, their motivations, relationships, histories and roles in the overall story.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2017, 00:20.

25. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Jun 21, 2017, 12:28 Jerykk

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 09:12:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 04:58:
Retired wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 04:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 21:46:
Without the flash sales, the "Sales" are worthless anymore.

Flash sales were a gimmick. The publisher tells Steam what they will offer their games at. I prefer the new model - just tell me the lowest price you offer the whole week.

Except the size of the discount is directly correlated with its duration. The longer it's available, the weaker the discount. That's how sales work. A discount that's only available for 6 hours is going to be far better than a discount that's available for two weeks. That's why flash sales were good and why recent Steam sales have been so underwhelming.

On a side note, Cdkeys.com is a reliable source of good discounts on newer games. You can currently get DOOM for $13 and Prey for $34. Some people consider the site to be "gray market" but I've never had any issues with it.

That's great, but most of the time unless the developer/publisher is putting up the game on that site, neither is seeing any of your money.

Basically, it's as good as pirating at that point.

That's a pretty strange mindset. The keys aren't "fake." They were generated and sold by the developer/publisher and then resold to cdkeys.com. If the keys were stolen or otherwise fraudulent, they either wouldn't activate or they'd get revoked. Neither has occurred with any keys I've purchased. So yes, the developer/publisher has already been compensated for the keys and they are perfectly legit.

18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Thursday Jun 21, 2017, 04:58 Jerykk

Retired wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 04:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 21:46:
Without the flash sales, the "Sales" are worthless anymore.

Flash sales were a gimmick. The publisher tells Steam what they will offer their games at. I prefer the new model - just tell me the lowest price you offer the whole week.

Except the size of the discount is directly correlated with its duration. The longer it's available, the weaker the discount. That's how sales work. A discount that's only available for 6 hours is going to be far better than a discount that's available for two weeks. That's why flash sales were good and why recent Steam sales have been so underwhelming.

On a side note, Cdkeys.com is a reliable source of good discounts on newer games. You can currently get DOOM for $13 and Prey for $34. Some people consider the site to be "gray market" but I've never had any issues with it.

7. Re: Steam Summer Sale Thursday Jun 21, 2017, 00:16 Jerykk

Unfortunate that the PayPal offer only extends to UK customers. Also unfortunate that Valve got rid of the daily deals, flash sales and customer choice sales. Those discounts were always better because they were only available for a very limited time. Now that all discounts are available for weeks, they are inevitably less significant.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2017, 00:04 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 19:43:
NetHead wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 19:01:
PS; for any of "those" people that go on about things like "you don't like x-ray vision then don't use it" I suppose it's to much to ask them to consider that games with such things are designed around such things and with them in mind. For instance try something as simple as looking through a keyhole in this Hitman game, that's right they don't need to add such things when there's crap like x-ray vision.

Disclaimer: I've only played the second and third Hitman games, Contracts and Blood Money...I thought they were the first and second but apparently not...hmmm...I'm curious how janky the first one is and if it's good enough to play these days?

The first game is super janky and not really worth playing if you've already played Contracts. Contracts took all of the good levels from the first game anyway. Silent Assassin isn't really worth playing either, as both Contracts and Blood Money are better. Hitman is one of the rare series where each iteration (except for Absolution) was better than the last.

As for people complaining about x-ray vision in HITMAN, you can turn it off and still successfully complete every mission. I know because I turned off all assists (including x-ray vision) and completed every mission multiple times. It's not like quest markers in Skyrim, where you'd have no idea where to go or what to do without them. HITMAN rewards you for being perceptive and paying attention to your surroundings.

20. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 20, 2017, 23:52 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 14:21:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 12:28:
Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 11:26:
*the suits sitting around the table*

Suit 1: Lets make it episodic. Shit seems so sell.

Suit 2: Yes! And lets remove any sense of a real story. That shit is expensive.

Suit 3: Yes! And lets show the players all the ways they can assassinate their target, so we can fill up that storyless void with useless replayability. Because achievements!

Suit 4: No idea why we'd do that but these pathetic, completionist fuckers swallow everything as long as it keeps them away from facing real life. So yes!

Suit 2: No reason to be so cynical, Laurens, but yes!

*and HITMAN 2016 was born*

Genuine question: Have you actually played HITMAN 2016? If you have, you would know that it has just as much story as Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin and Agent 47. There is an overarching storyline that is conveyed through cutscenes between missions. All of the missions tie into the storyline as well.

In fact, one could argue that it has more story because they've really fleshed out the targets, NPCs and environments. There's plenty of backstory and side-story to discover in each level, which is part of the reason why the game has so much replayability.

Finally, you might be the only Hitman fan (are you actually a Hitman fan or did you only play Absolution?) that complains about replayability. Seriously, replayability is one of the pillars of the series.

In any case, it's cool of IO to do this, though the headline is misleading. They aren't giving the full Episode 1 for free, only the tutorial levels. Paris is not free.

I only played episode 1 but I have all the eps. I loved all Hitman games, except for Absolution. Hated how the disguise system did a 180 and those FUUUCKING assassination "achievements". Fuck that "these are the ways you can somehow get to kill your targets!". Lazy as fuck not to let those ways to kill be told within context -- eavesdropping etc.
Especially loved Blood Money.

HITMAN is too much like Absolution, I thought?

You really should play through all the episodes. HITMAN shares much more in common with Blood Money than Absolution.

I could explain the story in one short sentence. I dont call that a story. It doesnt even have a conclusion and you dont even know it is a story until you complete the last mission or so.

Welcome to the Hitman series..? I feel like you haven't played any of the previous games. The story has always been light, with little to no connection to the actual missions. HITMAN is no different in that regard, except now, each level has tons of mini-stories. Without a doubt, HITMAN has more writing than any of the previous games. It's just that most of the storytelling is done through the environment and NPCs, rather than cutscenes. In previous games, most of your targets were pretty shallow. They didn't have much depth in terms of personality, relationships, history, etc. In HITMAN, each target has plenty of all those things and it's only through repeated playthroughs that you can learn them all.

It's bizarre how some people believe that the previous games were story-driven. Only Absolution was story-driven and the game suffered for it. In every other game, the story has always been placed firmly in the background and served as context more than a driving force.

4. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 20, 2017, 12:28 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 11:26:
*the suits sitting around the table*

Suit 1: Lets make it episodic. Shit seems so sell.

Suit 2: Yes! And lets remove any sense of a real story. That shit is expensive.

Suit 3: Yes! And lets show the players all the ways they can assassinate their target, so we can fill up that storyless void with useless replayability. Because achievements!

Suit 4: No idea why we'd do that but these pathetic, completionist fuckers swallow everything as long as it keeps them away from facing real life. So yes!

Suit 2: No reason to be so cynical, Laurens, but yes!

*and HITMAN 2016 was born*

Genuine question: Have you actually played HITMAN 2016? If you have, you would know that it has just as much story as Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin and Agent 47. There is an overarching storyline that is conveyed through cutscenes between missions. All of the missions tie into the storyline as well.

In fact, one could argue that it has more story because they've really fleshed out the targets, NPCs and environments. There's plenty of backstory and side-story to discover in each level, which is part of the reason why the game has so much replayability.

Finally, you might be the only Hitman fan (are you actually a Hitman fan or did you only play Absolution?) that complains about replayability. Seriously, replayability is one of the pillars of the series.

In any case, it's cool of IO to do this, though the headline is misleading. They aren't giving the full Episode 1 for free, only the tutorial levels. Paris is not free.

14926 Comments. 747 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo