Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15073 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2018, 00:35 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on May 20, 2018, 23:05:
Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2018, 22:26:
Also, once you choose a difficulty at the start of the game, you can't change it so I'm stuck with a pretty laid back experience.

This is not quite true. You can change the difficulty mid-game at any time BUT the change will only apply to maps you have not been to yet.
When you switch difficulty, you get a message that says, and I quote... 'Difficulty change will take effect on any maps you have not yet visited'.

Anyway, huge difficulty level rework is on the way but it will take some time. The devs are very aware that the game is too easy. Priority is bug-fixing though. Balance passes will follow up later. This Twitch stream with Josh Sawyer is pretty informative wrt to post-release plans.

You can't set the difficulty to Path of the Damned mid-game. You can only set it lower. I'm playing on Veteran, I want to make the game harder and the next highest difficulty is Path of the Damned, so I effectively can't change the difficulty.

It's good that they're focusing on bugs, though. There are some pretty major ones, like one of Xoti's lantern passives giving your party resistance to friendly spells as well as hostile ones. There's also a bug with the Driving Flight passive, making the bounce projectile target friendlies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 22:26 Jerykk

Nucas wrote on May 20, 2018, 20:32:
i think the shine on the classic RPG revivial has simply worn off. the metacritic scores for POE2 are the same as POE1, and the user scores are somehow lower; all despite being an objectively superior game in every conceivable way with a more polished release and a clearly articulated post-release support schedule.

Pretty much. D:OS2 is the exception and that's only because Larian has made concerted efforts to modernize the genre. PoE 1&2, while great CRPGs, still look and feel very traditional and that's not going to appeal to a broader audience.

One thing that's a bit disappointing about PoE2 is the difficulty (or lack thereof). I'm playing on the second highest difficulty and I'm finding that unless an enemy is at least three levels higher than me, it isn't going to pose any challenge. In the first game, the second highest difficulty was considerably harder and almost every fight required micromanagement. That's not the case here. In most cases, I can just sit back and watch while my party decimates everything. Also, once you choose a difficulty at the start of the game, you can't change it so I'm stuck with a pretty laid back experience.

tl;dr: Play on the highest difficulty and turn on level scaling (upwards only).

7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2018, 16:39 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on May 20, 2018, 14:28:
Oh man. As much as I like to joke about "Obshittian" it is kind of painful to see no sign of Deadfire anymore in the second week after its release .

Sure, they've brought this upon themselves with a history of buggy and shitty releases so I'm hoping they will get a second, third... sales push once the patches and DLCs are out.

Deadfire is a decent game at its core (89 MC average does not lie in this case) and it deserves to do much better than some lame, old, dumb MP garbage like R6 Siege which is a disgrace to its once glorious franchise.

I don't think the old-school CRPG market is growing as much as we'd like. The first PoE had the benefit of being something of a novelty with a lot of hype from the Kickstarter. Deadfire does not. There's also the 2D vs 3D consideration. The pre-rendered environments of PoE 1&2 resonate with old IE fans but newer players likely find it antiquated. With 3D, you can zoom in and rotate the camera and make trailers and screenshots that are more "cinematic and visceral." I think that's a large part of the reason why D:OS 1 & 2 did so well. They look modern whereas PoE 1 & 2 look decidedly retro.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2018, 18:52.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announce Trailer
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2018, 23:07 Jerykk

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 14, 2018, 17:48:
This trailer is fucking terrible. So bad, that I wonder if they just slapped it together between the time that wal-mart listing appeared and today.

I have a feeling we'll all be feeling a bit nostalgic for the "good ol' Rage" when this turd ships, if it is anything like this steaming pile of cliche' garbage trailer.

Since when has any game ever been anything like its live-action teaser trailer..?

Xero wrote on May 14, 2018, 15:07:
I'm shocked that Avalanche never did any add-on DLC content for Max Mad. I mean serious content, not just stupid skins/weapon. I loved that game. Had a blast beating it and trying to get 100% completion.

I'm not sure if I care about a FPS Mad Max but they are the right team to do it.

It's not like they had any say in the matter. WB published the game and decided what, if any, post-release support the game would receive.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announcement Monday?
17. Re: RAGE 2 Announcement Monday? May 11, 2018, 13:27 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:14:
Well, Id rather have seen some Wolfie 3 stuff at E3, but this will do, since they clearly have fixed the engine to work properly.

Gonna be my first and prolly only time to go to E3, so Im hoping to see some awesome shit.

You really shouldn't bother. Most of the games you want to see will only be shown to the press and for everything else, you'll spend hours waiting in lines. Everything shown at E3 will be put online sooner than later anyway. I've gone to E3 a few times and it felt like a waste of time every time.

News Comments > Get The Flame in the Flood for Free in Humble Spring Sale
6. Re: Get The Flame in the Flood for Free in Humble Spring Sale May 11, 2018, 02:05 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on May 11, 2018, 01:50:
I don't understand why they still call themselves Humble. When they started the word appropriately conveyed their helping charities and the size of what they offered for name-your-own price. But now, they're a proper distribution platform like GOG. They're not "Humble" anymore. They should change their name to HUGE.

They aren't really a distribution platform. They don't host any files except for the DRM-free games. They're a store above all else.

News Comments > Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile
1. Re: Steam Bringing Games and Streaming to Mobile May 9, 2018, 22:41 Jerykk

Seems like the only games that would be playable are the ones that only require mouse input.  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Launches
16. Re: Conan Exiles Launches May 8, 2018, 23:16 Jerykk

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 8, 2018, 22:43:
SacredGinmill wrote on May 8, 2018, 19:14:
It has a single player mode where you don't need internet.

The survival aspects are a bit weak. After an hour, you will figure out how to never starve if you don't want to.
I haven't tested the temperature aspects yet.
Just like in real life. Hunger and thirst shouldnt be an issue over the long future. That makes the game boring and tedious.

Does the single player have a story, or is it just survive and explore?

Just survive and explore. It's really meant to be a PvP sandbox. The PvE is just there for people who want to build and not have to worry about other players.

It's kind of baffling that there hasn't been a proper, single-player, open-world Conan RPG yet.

News Comments > Activision Devoting "Significant Resources" to PC Black Ops 4
20. Re: Activision Devoting May 6, 2018, 06:34 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on May 6, 2018, 02:53:
Freddie wrote on May 6, 2018, 02:12:
All these negative comments...but you all know CoD:BO4 will be in the top 5 selling games of 2018. It happens every year so I doubt Activision really care what any of you all think here

Hence the negative comments. We're not making them because we're jealous and/or envious of Activision's success, we're calling them out because it's bad for the gaming industry as a whole. Every year they trot out some new whizbang 'feature' meant to impress us but all it does is expose how shallow the series has become and how little they truly respect their playerbase. I think the absolute worst example of this was the dog in Ghosts. And for all that, it was still the worst CoD release yet and has had it's slobbering chops handed to them by Fallout 4 and Far Cry 5 since...

=-Rigs-=

Is it really bad for the industry, though? Would the disappearance of CoD really change anything at all? Not really, no. If CoD disappeared, it's not like Activision would suddenly start making interesting games. There was a time when CoD was highly influential but that time has long since past. PUBG and Fortnite are the most influential games right now which is why we're seeing so many Battle Royale games and modes popping up.

News Comments > The Forest Released; VR Support Next Month
7. Re: The Forest Released; VR Support Next Month Apr 30, 2018, 22:50 Jerykk

This is more akin to Subnautica than ARK or Rust. You have a specific goal to accomplish and there's a lot of backstory.  

News Comments > PC Bullet Witch
3. Re: PC Bullet Witch Apr 25, 2018, 22:42 Jerykk

Bill Borre wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 20:09:
Anybody know if that is using the BloodRayne engine? The trailer felt very familiar.

I seriously doubt it. The familiarity probably stemmed from the fact that both games are low-budget shooters with female protagonists. That said, BloodRayne looks more fun than this.

News Comments > DOOM Movie Reboot
2. Re: DOOM Movie Reboot Apr 20, 2018, 22:00 Jerykk

I suspect the new movie will be more like Event Horizon and have a greater emphasis on horror.  

News Comments > Get Satellite Reign for Free
5. Re: Get Satellite Reign for Free Apr 20, 2018, 02:08 Jerykk

I didn't have a problem with them making it more like Commandos. However, some of their systems are just poorly implemented. The stamina system is nothing but a nuisance (stamina is required for everything) and the stealth mechanics don't read at all. I have no idea how long or wide the enemy vision cones are or how large their hearing radius is.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
16. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 23:49 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 22:52:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 19:19:
I'll be honest: I liked WD2. I hated WD1 because the protagonist was such an unlikable, whiny dick. Although I am, as the kids say, old AF, I can see where the crew from WD2 fit and how they came together in a city that has an active maker scene and set in current times. Hell, they remind me of the students I mentor after a fashion.

My problem with Watch Dogs 1 and 2 is that it has a political even up-to-date setting and message... and paints terrorism as the solution. That's super questionable. And even if you argue this ain't terrorism, I'd argue they break the 4th wall at the very least.

Either way, both are fundamentally bad games imo, 2 was more enjoyable to play, but had an even more questionable tone and REALLY bad writing.

It made more sense in the first game where the protagonist was driven by revenge. He'd be okay with killing people and potentially causing collateral damage. But in Watch_Dogs 2, the ability to kill people and hurt civilians made no sense at all. It didn't match up with the light-hearted prankster mentality of the characters. In WD1, Aiden used hacking as means to track down his targets so he could kill them. In WD2, hacking was supposed to be a non-violent means of exposing corruption and protecting the people.

News Comments > New BioShock Rumored
4. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 22:31 Jerykk

Sounds like Mafia 3 suffered from bad leadership.

A new Bioshock is actually pretty surprising. With the current trend of open-world everything, a mostly linear, story-driven, 10-20 hour AAA single-player game seems unlikely. But then, maybe the new Bioshock will be open-world? Also curious to see what setting they choose. Two games was more than enough for Rapture and Columbia, while cool, wouldn't really make sense outside of Bioshock Infinite.

News Comments > Quake Champions April Update Plans
3. Re: etc. Apr 9, 2018, 23:09 Jerykk

Good to see them still supporting this though I can't really see its player base growing much. There's simply too much competition in the multiplayer shooter space. CS, PUBG, Fortnite, BF, CoD, Crossfire, etc, all competing for your time.  

News Comments > System Shock Revival Revived
30. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 18:07 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 04:05:
The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING". Not my cup of tea, to be honest. But if that is what the kickstarters got promised and what they wanted, then Nightdive has to deliver exactly this.

Well, no, they want SS1 but with a more modern presentation. If you just want to play SS1 on modern OSes, you can just buy System Shock Enhanced.

News Comments > WBIE Hits on HITMAN
5. Re: WBIE Hits on HITMAN Apr 4, 2018, 12:23 Jerykk

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 10:49:
Always thought these games were quite lame and riddled with bugs that made them not that great.

You'd be in the minority. HITMAN 2016 was fantastic and easily my GotY.

I'm not surprised that IO had to find a publisher. Making a game like HITMAN isn't cheap and the series has never sold well enough to allow for for complete self-funding.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 19:13 Jerykk

warmbluelasers wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:17:
I like the changes they've made to zone progression over 4/Primal. Crafting is just about gutted and replaced with cash and perk points. If crafting was a huge deal for you, may want to pass on this one. I didn't care for the upgrades crafting, but I don't feel like perk points are an improvement.

The AI is still crap, the followers repeat the same handful of lines way too often, and constantly talk over important dialogue (how does that pass playtesting?), and the guns are pretty much the same selection from 4. Oh, and the dog isn't as good as the one from MGS5, which this one is almost a complete copy of. But at least the dog doesn't constantly talk over dialogue like a toddler.

That said I'm having fun. A friend gifted me the preorder. Would I have paid $60 straight up? Probably not. I'd have gone for $40 though.

I think the perk points system is good. It encourages you to explore (since you can find perk point magazines) and try different things (since you get perk points for completing various challenges).

The only thing I dislike about FC5 are the actual skills/abilities/passives that you unlock. Most of them just aren't very interesting. Many just increase your ammo capacity or make some minor changes to weapon handling. Those should be weapon upgrades, not things you spend skill points on. AC:O had a similar issue. It seems that Ubisoft just isn't very good at making interesting skill trees.

News Comments > Guacamelee 2 PC
4. Re: Guacamelee 2 PC Mar 30, 2018, 23:37 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 16:17:
Nobody around the internet has gotten offended at this title and/or it featuring Mexican characters yet? I am amazed.

People don't really care about Mexicans yet. It's all about women, LGBT and black people at the moment.

15073 Comments. 754 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo