Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Sale Dates Leaked?
7. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 20, 2017, 21:02 Jerykk

Pepe wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 20:43:
Saboth wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 20:12:
MEH! Why oh why did people have to ruin the system? Steam sales used to be so exciting. Now it's like you are paying the normal price when a game is on sale, and the rest of the year you are paying the marked up price. I'd rather have flash deals again and not be able to get refunds.

I wonder why people keep saying this, makes no sense, basically the old "sale" was not realy a sale, just a waiting game to see if you could find the game you wanted at the "special" temporary lower price, now it's the whole time of the sale at that price.

Well, no, that's not actually true. When sales last a week or more, they aren't going to be as good as sales that only last 6-8 hours. That's why the flash sales were always better than the regular ones. The current sales lack the deeper discounts offered by the flash sales and daily deals.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
13. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 22:59 Jerykk

Open-world Star Wars confirmed.

This isn't really surprising, though. The linear, story-driven SP experience is on its way out. Publishers want you to play their games for as long as possible because it increases their opportunities to monetize. Linear, story-driven SP games don't have that kind of longevity.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 10, 2017, 22:51 Jerykk

As a general rule, I find that season passes are worth about a third of their asking price. So in this case, $14. The only exception thus far was the Witcher 3 season pass, which was a fantastic deal.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 9, 2017, 12:24 Jerykk

What? PUBG has been in the top 3 sellers every day since release. I think your list is borked.  

News Comments > Gravel Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Gravel Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 12:23 Jerykk

Weird. I guess Square is just handling distribution rather than publishing duties.  

News Comments > HITMAN Announcement Announced
4. Re: HITMAN Announcement Announced Oct 8, 2017, 20:25 Jerykk

Err, expansion packs and sequels wouldn't make any sense given the format of HITMAN. Season 2 would effectively be the sequel and expansion pack.

Most likely, it'll be some more elusive targets or maybe even another variation of an existing level. I'd be down for that. Thailand, Colorado and Japan haven't had any variants yet.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video
6. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 8, 2017, 20:13 Jerykk

Speak for yourself. I've been in game development for years.

I'm not sure why you'd expect final assets for anything within the first year of development. Assets aren't finalized until alpha at the earliest. This isn't even pre-alpha yet. Most of the first year is spent on writing, paper design, gameplay prototyping, concept art, storyboards, level blockouts, etc. In a platformer, finalizing the character's move set and traversal standards needs to happen first, then level designers block out the levels based on said standards, then artists make the levels pretty. Artists shouldn't be making final assets for anything until the first two steps are completed or else they'll have to redo a lot of work.

What I see in the video looks like first-pass art, which is appropriate because it is in fact first-pass art. Making final level art for a platformer before gameplay standards have been finalized would be idiotic. Also, the level takes place in a quarry so yes, there is a lot of grey. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the game's color palette.

News Comments > Gravel Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: Gravel Gameplay Trailer Oct 8, 2017, 19:59 Jerykk

Eh? Are we sure Square has anything to do with this? The Steam page says the game is developed and published by Milestone. No mention of Square anywhere. The official website is the same. I think Gamespot got their info wrong.  

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video
3. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 22:02 Jerykk

PacoTaco wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:22:
Hard to tell by this video what where the final quality will land.

This work looks C+ including the character, right now the level is very grey but you can tell it has no final lighting, the objects look WIP.

Seems like after almost a year they would have a small section of a full level finished, not just the art test they showed before.

What they showed is going to be the main hub area of the game. It's not just an art test. Also, pre-production takes up the majority of the first year. That's where you finish the paper design and lay out the foundations before committing to full production of assets.

Really wish people had a better understanding of game development. I guess that's why devs are so hesitant to show anything that isn't basically finished.

News Comments > HITMAN Announcement Announced
2. Re: HITMAN Announcement Announced Oct 6, 2017, 12:26 Jerykk

Pretty sure it'll be included in season 1.  

News Comments > ELEX Trailer
5. Re: ELEX Trailer Oct 4, 2017, 22:53 Jerykk

I've enjoyed PB's previous games, though they haven't really evolved much since Gothic. Combat and traversal are still janky. October is already overloaded with games I want to play so I'll probably hold off on this until I'm done with those.

On a side note, Elex appears to suffer from a lack of decisiveness. It's like PB wasn't sure if they wanted to make a fantasy, sci-fi or post-apocalyptic RPG so they just threw all three together.

News Comments > Nioh: Complete Edition Coming to PCs
4. Re: Nioh: Complete Edition Coming to PCs Oct 2, 2017, 12:29 Jerykk

Uh, are they implying that you can't have 4K AND 60 FPS at the same time?  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2017, 21:18 Jerykk

I think the biggest issue with bundles is that they seriously devalue indie games. Unless I absolutely have to play an indie game immediately, I'll just wait until it's included in a bundle. No point in buying it individually, even if it's on sale.  

News Comments > LawBreakers Roadmap
17. Re: LawBreakers Roadmap Sep 7, 2017, 21:15 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 13:12:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 10:19:
The low player numbers are unfortunate but the market is simply saturated with shooters. I'm definitely having more fun with Lawbreakers than Quake Champions tho.

Oh man, I played the quake beta for about 5 minutes before uninstalling. I bet it will sell millions of copies.

Gamers are just dumb as fuck these days, don't know what to tell you all. You could get the same experience with QuakeLive, infact a better one without dumb hero classes as a "me too!" cash grab.

Or you could try Lawbreakers, the game that costs half the price, and easily quad-times the fun It really is a "true" spiritual successor to quake/unreal.

You probably shouldn't have announced that you only played QC for five minutes. That makes any opinion expressed afterwards basically worthless. Ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to criticism.

Also, how is Lawbreakers half the price? They're both $30 on Steam, though QC will eventually be F2P and is already F2P if you use the Bethesda Launcher.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: LawBreakers fans on why you should play it, and what went wrong… Sep 2, 2017, 20:57 Jerykk

New IP + New Developer + Multiplayer-only + $30 = flop (except for PUBG, which is the exception to the rule). The MP market is highly saturated and most people only play one MP game at a time. Lawbreakers is competing against CS:GO, PUBG and Overwatch. The average consumer is not going to risk $30 on a MP-only game that might be dead within a week when they're already playing something they know they enjoy.  

News Comments > Road Rage Next Month
4. Re: Road Rage Next Month Sep 1, 2017, 12:26 Jerykk

Not a good sign when none of the "screenshots" show actual gameplay.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 31, 2017, 04:25 Jerykk

Releasing a $30 MP-only game in 2017 seems extremely risky. For one, the market is saturated and there's plenty of F2P competition. Secondly, people tend to only play one or two MP games on a regular basis because MP games require a large investment of time if you want to get good. If you're a shooter player on PC, you're probably only playing Overwatch, CS:GO or PUBG. Finally, MP games are inherently risky from a consumer standpoint because the experience is wholly dependent on other players. If nobody else is playing, you're screwed. If your teammates suck, you're screwed. If matchmaking is bad, you're screwed. One match might be great, the next match might be awful.

Honestly, SP games seem like a much safer investment. They are finite, self-contained experiences that generally don't require a large investment of time and offer a much more consistent and predictable level of enjoyment. There are also very few F2P SP games, so charging $30 is more widely accepted.

On a side note, Lawbreakers is not a a hero shooter. It's a class-based shooter. There's a difference. TF2 is a class-based shooter and Lawbreakers shares much more in common with TF2 than Overwatch. There are nine classes in Lawbreakers. You choose a class and the character you play is based on your faction. Functionally, both versions are exactly the same. It's like a red Pyro vs a blue Pyro.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
13. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 05:04 Jerykk

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 01:07:
I don't know, seems kind of weird they picked undead to be the last race. Certainly won't be in any party I play.

One thing I can agree on, the original ending was horrid. At least they fixed that in later releases.

Really? I'm actually pretty excited to play a skeleton. It's pretty rare for RPGs to let you do that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 28, 2017, 23:47 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 22:16:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 21:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 21:23:
Vs stringing your consumer base along for over a decade, suggesting that HL3 was still in the works but never once saying 'yay or nay'?

Least players are making a statement, but they would settle for an official statement.

Haha, sure, because gamers are such a pleasant and reasonable crowd.

To paraphrase someone in one of the HL3 threads last week, if you've somehow been strung along for over a decade without any official statement, grow up.

I don't even think they've strung anyone along.

Valve learned, more than any other company, communicating anything not 100% set in stone to your fans is a bad idea, because in this industry above all, people take everything very personally and feel a weird ownership over the games they've enjoyed.

This. Valve never released any screenshots, trailers or any media at all for HL3. I don't think they ever even officially announced it. I think they mentioned Ep3 at one point during some random interview but that's about it.

I get that people are upset that the series ended with a cliffhanger and was never properly resolved. At this point, Valve should just confirm that HL3 isn't in development. However, to give bad reviews to a completely unrelated game for the sole purpose of conveying your displeasure about the absence of a sequel that was never announced... that's just dumb. Reviews should be reviews, not political statements.

News Comments > EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda a "Great Game" Series May Continue
22. Re: Re: EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda Aug 27, 2017, 07:31 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 19:25:
loomy wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 11:46:
"figure out what that looks like" -- they gave their most classy and expensive franchise to a B-team. mass effect andromeda is a bad game, and EA management is responsible.

Having put in 65 hours and played to completion I can say for a certainty that it is not a bad game. However, it not a great game either. It has it's moments that are distinctly Mass Effect, but they are rare. The game is just mediocre and possibly BioWare's worst big budget title. The ME IP is definitely salvagable. It is akin to the two Batman films helmed by Joel Schumacher, and then the Dark Knight trilogy directed by Chris Nolan. it will shine in the hands an A-team. Andromedia's entry into the BioWare franchise will remain a blip on the radar and a cautionary tale for EA. I'm sure the next game will be much better and of the quality that we expect to see.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Most of ME:A's issues were also in DA:I, which was developed by the "A-team." It seems that Bioware's new M.O. is to make their games as large as possible, even if that means bloating them with half-assed filler content. Their next game (Anthem) is basically Destiny, so that's just continuing the trend.

The Bioware that made games like Baldur's Gate, DA:O and KotoR is probably gone for good.

14958 Comments. 748 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo