Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14774 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
18. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 03:20 Jerykk

Game development certainly is expensive and most Kickstarters ask for way less than they actually need. Often that's because they don't know how much they need. Other times, however, it's because they have multiple funding sources. inXile is still generating revenue from their other games and I'm sure they have investors like Dracogen helping out too. Crowfunding is often just one of several means of funding.

I have no concerns about Torment being finished and, at the very least, a solid RPG. It probably won't live up to PST but nothing created over the past 16 years has either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 26, 2016, 23:34 Jerykk

Well, I'm not. I will be auctioning off my limited CE as soon as possible on eBay. I'm completely disgusted by their shitty practices and no longer interested in the game which looks like crap anyway. If I want a clunky interface and read long texts off a screen I'll buy a fucking shitty Kindle, not Torment.

So... you didn't like Planescape: Torment? Clunky interface, long texts on a screen... pretty much everything you hate. Not sure why you backed Torment in the first place.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2016, 01:41 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 12:46:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 03:04:
If you spend 80+ hours playing game (including expansions) and then declare that it's a piece of shit, chances are that the game is actually pretty decent and you're just having a hyperbolic reaction to a few shortcomings. People did that with ME3 because the ending sucked, even though the ending comprised maybe 1% of the entire game and the rest was actually good. Some people even went as far as to claim that the entire series sucked because of that one ending.

I think most people said they'd never play the series again because of how gutwrenching the end was, that it had essentially become unreplayable, not that the entire series now sucked. And let's be honest, it was a REALLLLLLLLY terrible ending. It was just a giant Bioware middle finger to their players, saying "Hey, thanks for the 100+ hours you played our games. Here, to make sure you'll never play again: Pick the Red, Green or Blue button offered by our ridiculous Deus Ex Machina which utterly invalidates every single decision you've made in the entire series, AND essentially kills everyone."

In any case, it's not really the same thing. I can see it taking a solid XX number of hours before you realize that the game really is pretty terrible. I enjoyed the first 8 hours of JC3 a ton, proclaiming it better than JC2 in every way, until I realized that where JC2 had an awesome map that offered lots of diversity and opportunities for shenanigans, JC3 offers literally exactly the same town just copy-pasta'd 15000 times and zero-point-zero percent variety.

By the end of it, I was extremely sick of it, and consider it the biggest gaming disappointment of 2015. It took me a good 10+ hours to get to that point where I was getting very annoyed with it.

Many people claimed that the entire series was ruined because of ME3's ending. I find that position pretty absurd because the ending comprised maybe 0.01% of the entire series. Also, if story is the only reason you replay games, I'm not sure what the point of replaying any of the ME games would be. The choices you make have minimal impacts on the overall narrative and you're basically just deciding whether to be a nice savior of the universe or a rude savior of the universe. If someone dies, they're just replaced with an equivalent character with whom you play the same missions regardless. The real reason to replay the ME games is for the gameplay and in that respect, ME3 is the best in the series and ME1 the worst. ME1 had the most RPG elements but the level design was awful, the AI was stupid, enemy variety was lacking, the weapons were boring, the Mako handling was terrible and the planet exploration was pointless. ME1 had a cool setting and interesting characters and story but gameplay-wise, ME3 completely destroys it.

As for JC3, you may have found it inferior to JC2 but you're not claiming it's one of the worst games you've ever played. Disappointing, sure, but not terrible. You genuinely enjoyed it for 8 hours which is a longer playtime than many games offer these days.

People in general need to calm down and recognize that quality is a spectrum and not a binary great/awful division. If a game has flaws or is disappointing compared to its predecessors, it isn't necessarily a completely worthless piece of shit that should burn in hell. It is possible for a game to be average or mediocre.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 04:36 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 04:19:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 01:41:
24 hours seems like a lot of time to spend playing one of the worst games he's ever played.

Sometimes you just want to give a game a chance before making your mind up. 24 hours isn't much when it's easy to put 100 or 200 hours into an RPG.

True, some games require more time before you can pass proper judgment. But anything more than 10 hours seems dubious, even for an RPG. You don't have to play Raven's Cry or Two Worlds or Gothic 3 for 20+ hours to realize they suck. If a game is objectively terrible, you'll realize it within an hour. If a game just isn't your cup of tea, you'll realize it within 10 hours. Cutter claimed that Dragon's Dogma is one of the worst games he's ever played and if that were true, he wouldn't have needed 20+ hours of gameplay to realize it.

My guess is that Dragon's Dogma just isn't Cutter's cup of tea. That's fine but hyperbolic criticism isn't really necessary if that's the case.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 03:04 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 02:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 01:41:
24 hours seems like a lot of time to spend playing one of the worst games he's ever played.

I put in at least 50-60 hours into Diablo3 (and about 30-40 into the expansion) before deciding it was a piece of shit that doesn't deserve to be on my PC anymore and that the time I spent playing was wasted.

I have to say most of that was spent playing Hardcore characters, which is where the game is supposed to shine the brightest yet falls flat on its face in so many ways.

I cannot stress how much Diablo3 fucking sucks, it just takes a while to get to that point because you are impressed with the Blizzard polish and because you want to give it all the chances it can get.

If you spend 80+ hours playing game (including expansions) and then declare that it's a piece of shit, chances are that the game is actually pretty decent and you're just having a hyperbolic reaction to a few shortcomings. People did that with ME3 because the ending sucked, even though the ending comprised maybe 1% of the entire game and the rest was actually good. Some people even went as far as to claim that the entire series sucked because of that one ending.

If a game is truly worthless, you don't need to play it for more than a few hours to figure that out. I've put hundreds of hours into Bethesda's RPGs, even though I find their writing and balancing to be abysmal. The key is that I enjoyed the rest of the games enough to continue playing in spite of their flaws and I would never claim that the games were shitty.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 01:41 Jerykk

News Comments > Free League of Legends Bundle
13. Re: Free League of Legends Bundle Jan 24, 2016, 17:49 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 08:33:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 05:47:
It sounds like you don't actually play LoL (or MOBAs in general). DotA, the originator of MOBAs, had one map. One map is standard for MOBAs. LoL actually has four maps (each representing a different game mode) but Summoner's Rift is by far the most popular.

Dude your whole post proved my point, the game has been out 5 years going now and nothing truly new and groundbreaking has been added.

Yes I've played moba's and there forbears I was there when LoL was little more then a glorified warcraft 3 mod.

Uh, they've added tons of characters, multiple game modes, completely revamped the art style and UI and made tons of changes to runes, masteries and matchmaking since the game's launch. They've even done complete visual and gameplay overhauls of many of the early champions. I'm not even sure what "groundbreaking" means in this context. Do you expect them to create an entirely new game that is completely unique and unprecedented in every way?

And LoL wasn't a WC3 mod. DotA was a WC3 mod. One could argue that DotA2 is a glorified WC3 mod since it doesn't make any significant changes to the formula. LoL, on the other hand, made a lot of changes. No couriers, one shop, no friendly fire, free teleports back to base, simplified bases, etc. LoL streamlined DotA and made it more accessible, which is a large reason why it's the most successful MOBA.

News Comments > Free League of Legends Bundle
9. Re: Free League of Legends Bundle Jan 24, 2016, 05:47 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 00:41:
Yifes wrote on Jan 23, 2016, 23:45:
Every time I stop playing for a few months and come back, the game feels almost like a new game.

If you believe this you aren't very bright. League of legends has less content then games over 10 years old. It's the biggest scam in gaming, I've wondered where this game could have been if it was opened up to the public to mod. The heroes are usually just reskins/skill swaps with some stat modifying. It has way less maps than many games that came before it. The same maps are played over and over again.

It sounds like you don't actually play LoL (or MOBAs in general). DotA, the originator of MOBAs, had one map. One map is standard for MOBAs. LoL actually has four maps (each representing a different game mode) but Summoner's Rift is by far the most popular. Also, you have a pretty strange definition of "reskin." All of the champions have their own unique meshes, textures, animations, sounds and VFX. They also have their own unique set of abilities. Naturally, some abilities share similarities. That's unavoidable when you have over 100 champions, each with 4 active abilities and 1 passive. But if you actually played MOBAs, you'd realize that almost every champion feels unique and has its own distinct playstyle.

I also have no idea how LoL qualifies as a "scam." The game is F2P and the most popular game in the world. Riot hasn't advertised anything that the game doesn't offer. There's no deceit going on here. You may not like the game or MOBAs in general but that doesn't make them scams.

News Comments > Resident Evil 0 Released
5. Re: Resident Evil 0 Released Jan 22, 2016, 00:09 Jerykk

nin wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 23:18:
As a completest, I appreciate they're not skipping any, even though this one isn't as well regarding as the rest.

But yeah, I hope the remake of 2 is outstanding and leads to 3.

(I suck at these games but feel it's great they're getting a new coat of paint and shown to the younger generation. "Know you history" and all that, flaws and all.)

They led with RE and RE0 because those were the easiest to remaster. The assets from the GameCube versions were already relatively high-res. The older RE games, though will require much more work to remaster. I'd be surprised if RE3 receives a remaster. Code Veronica is more likely.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Trailer
5. Re: Far Cry Primal Trailer Jan 20, 2016, 22:53 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 21:07:
Very pretty, though holy shit do they go overboard on the freaking bloom.

I applaud Ubisoft for being willing to take a chance with the IP, rather than just doing Yet Another Far Cry, but I do wish they'd start showing off some actual gameplay, rather than just snippets of what are essentially cutscenes (or background animations.)

For example, one of the big questions I have is how is the melee going to work? Just the same as in the other Far Cry games, ie, hit a button for melee, or will there actually be a proper melee system?

There's been plenty of gameplay footage, as others have mentioned. From what I've seen, the melee combat looks the same as in the other FC games. Primal as a whole looks an expansion for FC4. Sticks to the same formula and does very little new.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 18, 2016, 23:09 Jerykk

I thought the first Consortium was great and this one looks better in almost every way. The first day funding seems pretty low, though. Hopefully the project gets more coverage on the popular news sites.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition
3. Re: Gone Gold - Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition Jan 18, 2016, 23:07 Jerykk

While I don't really care about community challenge stuff, it's good to see the game continuing to get so much post-release support, especially after this long after the original release.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Jan 17, 2016, 00:11 Jerykk

Dragon's Dogma is $30, not $40.

There are just so many game types where the gamepad is the best controller. It's not a dumb toy for babies. That analog movement/throttle precision is often more important than having precise mouselook.

That's debatable. Most games have camera-driven movement these days and third-person games with melee combat typically have lots of homing and targeting assists. Analog sticks are superior for games that lack those things but such games are growing increasingly rare.

I use my gamepad almost exclusively for racing games because M/KB works just as well or better for almost every other genre.

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Released
9. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Released Jan 17, 2016, 00:09 Jerykk

Razumen wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 22:32:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 17:39:
Task wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 02:08:
A jRPG just isn't a jRPG without a game name like that.

This isn't a JRPG...

Sure it is. That's pretty literally what it is.

Dragon's Dogma is an action game with RPG elements (like Dark Souls and Bloodborne). Calling that a JRPG is like calling Borderlands a CRPG.

News Comments > The Division Beta This Month
12. Re: The Division Beta This Month Jan 16, 2016, 23:32 Jerykk

The RPG-like enemy health scaling is at odds with the realistic setting. In a sci-fi or fantasy game, it's easy to accept that some dude in power armor can soak up multiple shots from your plasma rifle but when I'm in New York, shooting some thug in the head with an AK and he's only wearing jeans and a hoodie, I expect him to die immediately.  

News Comments > Free Omikron: The Nomad Soul
11. Re: Free Omikron: The Nomad Soul Jan 16, 2016, 23:27 Jerykk

This is Quantic Dream's best game but, like the rest of their games, the last two-thirds falter pretty badly. The first third was great, though. Playing as a detective investing a series of murders in a weird, alien cyberpunk city was pretty sweet. I just wish the entire game had just been that.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Jan 16, 2016, 19:59 Jerykk

I'm fine with the settlement stuff in FO4. It's completely optional and many people enjoy it. That said, I'd prefer if Bethesda had focused more on quest design than the settlement system. The procedural quests are terrible.  

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Released
7. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Released Jan 16, 2016, 17:39 Jerykk

Task wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 02:08:
A jRPG just isn't a jRPG without a game name like that.

This isn't a JRPG...

News Comments > New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic
21. Re: New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic Jan 15, 2016, 04:23 Jerykk

You can imagine Hitman as a procedural TV show where it's about an assassin doing some given assassination each week. There might be some backstory and occasional narrative arcs, but the episodes are stand alone and there's really no one left hanging when the content dries up, unless the price was wrong.

Except Hitman has never been a story-driven series. When it's attempted to be (ala Hitman: Absolution), it was received poorly. Big, open-ended and interesting levels have always been the strong point of the series and the reason why fans play the games. That works well with an episodic format where you can just release levels one at a time. The only question is whether or not the quality of the levels will remain consistent with monthly releases. Good level design takes a lot of iteration and polish and there's a good possibility that the later levels won't receive enough of either.

On a side note, TV shows going on past their prime is a result of networks wanting to milk them and not an inherent weakness with the episodic format itself. It's entirely possible to write a cohesive and conclusive story for an episodic series. We've seen it with plenty of story-driven adventure games, from Telltale's offerings to series like Life is Strange, The Dream Machine and Dreamfall Chapters. The only risk is when there's too long of a delay between episodes and players stop caring about what happens next because they've forgotten about what's already happened.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2016, 04:32.

News Comments > New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic
19. Re: New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic Jan 15, 2016, 02:04 Jerykk

I find it weird actually that episodic gaming is usually heavily story driven games. Those are the types of games that need a distinct beginning, middle and end, not an indeterminate number of episodes.

Works fine for TV shows. The most successful episodic games are the ones that are relatively easy to make. That's why they work so well with adventure games. Players have minimal agency, levels are small are mostly non-interactive and the whole experience is very linear. Open-ended, sandbox games like Hitman, on the other hand, require tons of level design, art, scripting, programming and QA. If they're able to deliver new content on a monthly basis, I have to wonder how much content there will actually be.

I'm not worried about the episodes being delivered. The game is being funded by a big publisher, after all. However, the scope and quality of the later episodes may falter if they stick to monthly releases.

14774 Comments. 739 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo