Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14773 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deadpool Pack for Marvel Heroes 2016
1. Re: Deadpool Pack for Marvel Heroes 2016 Feb 12, 2016, 22:45 Jerykk

$30 (after a 25% discount) for a bunch of skins and one inventory slot? What a bargain!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy
18. Re: Quantum Break PC Plans; Xbox Players Unhappy Feb 12, 2016, 12:13 Jerykk

I'm guessing the recommended specs are slightly exaggerated. Remedy has a history of well-optimized ports so I'm pretty sure the game will run fine with less ridiculous hardware.  

News Comments > More Free CONSORTIUM
2. Re: More Free CONSORTIUM Feb 11, 2016, 19:20 Jerykk

It's sad that the Kickstarter for the sequel isn't going to make it. I enjoyed the first game and the follow-up looks great. Hopefully they manage to secure funding through other means.  

News Comments > PC Need for Speed in March
1. Re: PC Need for Speed in March Feb 11, 2016, 19:19 Jerykk

The delay is annoying but at least they're putting effort into the port. I'll take a delayed but good port over a quick but shoddy port any day.  

News Comments > The Solus Project Video Diary
3. Re: The Solus Project Video Diary Feb 11, 2016, 16:36 Jerykk

Not sure why Star Citizen was brought up but this looks like it could be cool. I enjoyed The Ball and a survival game with an actual story and end goal could be interesting.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 11, 2016, 16:32 Jerykk

Very surprising that the PC version is releasing simultaneously with the Xbox version. Being a Windows 10 exclusive wasn't surprising at all but I'd figure they'd wait at least three years before porting the game to PC.  

News Comments > Hatred Developer's New Greenlight
15. Re: Hatred Developer's New Greenlight Feb 11, 2016, 16:20 Jerykk

I don't see how this is controversial at all. You aren't shooting helpless refugees. You're shooting armed terrorists who are firing at you. This is no different than Battlefield or Call of Duty.  

News Comments > Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter
9. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 10, 2016, 19:36 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 18:37:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 16:03:
It has a single player campaign right out of the gate so that makes it stand a better chance to get funding.

Right?

Of course. Their goal is also only half that of DU. But it still boggles the mind how they came up with the idea to make this kind of game when you have an almost carbon copy example in DU that did not exactly take off like crazy in spite of some major cross-marketing with Star Citizen (shout-out by Chris Roberts etc.).

The real niche right now is a true Wing Commander or FreeSpace sequel. Star Citizen has long gone full retard and no longer matches that description.

Since these OVERLOAD guys have people on board who worked on FreeSpace, they should have considered making a good old traditional space sim with an epic single player campaign along the lines of FreeSpace, Wing Commander, X-Wing/TIE/Fighter etc.

That would have had a much higher chance of success than another "me too" Descent (DU will also have a single player by the way but it was not the focus of the campaign that's true).

Making a spiritual successor to Descent is a lot easier than making one for Freespace or Wing Commander. $300k wouldn't be enough for those.

News Comments > David Gaider Joins Beamdog
3. Re: David Gaider Joins Beamdog Feb 10, 2016, 02:00 Jerykk

Interesting that he went with Beamdog instead of Obsidian. That said, he probably wouldn't have been able to get the same position at Obsidian, whereas he has a lot more leverage at Beamdog. Definitely interested in seeing how Beamdog handles their first original games.  

News Comments > Hitman Beta FAQ/Trailer
7. Re: Hitman Beta FAQ/Trailer Feb 8, 2016, 23:46 Jerykk

ldonyo wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 15:10:
The Hitman website still shows the game coming to Xbox One. If that's how much attention they pay to details, this game is in serious trouble.

If you paid attention to the details, you'd realize that the beta is only going to be on PC and PS4, not Xbox. That's why there's no mention of Xbox for this Hitman Beta trailer.

On a side note, not sure why this game is getting so much hate. From what I played of the closed alpha, this is way more like Blood Money than Absolution. Large, open-ended, non-linear levels with many ways to dispatch targets. The disguise system has been revamped as well so it's way more effective than the one in Absolution. IO has very clearly taken player feedback to heart.

I guess people are freaking out about the episodic format? Seems like it should work fine for a Hitman game. The series has never been about story and the levels in the Blood Money were very standalone. If Blood Money were split up into episodes, it wouldn't have been any worse for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2016, 23:51.

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
32. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 7, 2016, 06:09 Jerykk

Alright, Valve's steamworks stuff isn't nothing. It's a pretty polished post-launch framework for keeping people connected. BUT. This is NOT equal to fucking bankrolling development. That's traditionally the role of the publisher. But In Valve land, they don't even look at a studio till they have a complete finished product that's ready to sell (well, ready to sell at least), and they have nothing to do with them until then.

I'm not really understanding your point here. Valve isn't publishing games. They're selling games, like any other store. The 30% cut that Valve takes still gives publishers/developers a larger cut than they'd get from retail. For digital distribution, 30% is standard. Really baffled as to why you think that Valve is somehow a publisher for the thousands of games available on Steam.

On a side note, I don't think you know how the publisher/developer relationship actually works. Publishers don't give developers all of the funding upfront. They give funding when the developers deliver milestones that fulfill predetermined criteria. This way, publishers minimize risk and developers have to rely on publishers throughout the entire project. Once the project is done, developers typically don't see any royalties until the game has sold enough to cover development costs. In most cases, developers never see another penny after development ends.

Once again, Valve is not a publisher for third-party games. They sell games on Steam, they don't publish them.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2016, 06:21.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition Launches
6. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition Launches Feb 6, 2016, 01:44 Jerykk

Sempai wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 01:24:
I backed the first, but lost interest a few hours in. The combat felt stiff and..not very compelling? I assume it's now improved somewhat?How's this compared to say..the Xcom series? Will it scratch that itch?

This isn't pure turn-based strategy like XCOM. This is an RPG with turn-based combat. As such, the combat isn't nearly as in-depth. The main reason to play the Shadowrun games is if you're interested in good quest design and writing. Combat is secondary (and often avoidable in Dragonfall and Hong Kong).

16. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 04:15 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 00:36:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

That's not quite true. There's something to be said for customer consideration and there's definitely very little of that when you only sell your games on Origin. Steam is the defacto distribution platform on PC and the vast majority of PC gamers use it. Not only that but they enjoy using it. As such, it makes perfect sense to support it (which is why every single publisher does except EA). It's simply good for customers. It's also good for business, as your game will receive more exposure and more sales (which is why Ubisoft still sells their games on Steam, even though they have their own digital distribution platform). It's a win-win situation.

Imagine if every company only sold its products exclusively through its own storefront. Supermarkets, convenience stores, book stores, Amazon... all would cease to exit. Want to buy a box of Cheerios? Sorry, you have to go to your nearest General Mills store. Want some Colgate toothpaste? Check your local Colgate store. Want a new Nvidia videocard? Gotta buy direct from Nvidia. Shopping would be a very inconvenient and irritating process. That's why people don't like Origin.

EA doesn't exclusively sell their games through Origin, you can buy them from other e-tailers. I buy EA games from GreenManGaming mostly.

So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

If anything multiple digital distribution platforms should be praised so someone like MS doesn't have that kind of power and Valve shouldn't have that kind of power either.

People don't like Origin because it's EA and they want to use a system that's easy for them to do one stop shopping with. If those people held the same attitude about the MS store and refused to use any other platform think of what a disaster that would be.

People like having all their games accessible from one place. For most people, that place is Steam. Yes, you can buy Origin games from other resellers but then those games won't be in your Steam library.

As for Valve vs MS, the key difference is that MS has a history of terrible products and services. GFWL was an utter debacle. From what I've read, the Windows Store is just as bad. MS also loves to slap on arbitrary exclusivity in order to push their latest OS. I'm pretty sure DX12 would work just fine on Vista/7/8 but nope, exclusive to 10. Fable Legends? 10 exclusive. Killer Instinct? 10 exclusive. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition? 10 exclusive. Gigantic? 10 exclusive. Any game MS is going to publish within then next 5 years? 10 exclusive and only available on the Windows Store.

A digital distribution platform should only be praised if it offers value to customers. Steam does that. The other platforms do not. People like Steam. When given the choice between Steam and DRM-free GOG, most people choose Steam. When given the choice between Steam, Windows Store, Origin or Uplay, people choose Steam. If Valve really does have a "monopoly" on the market, it's only because people prefer their service over the alternatives.

11. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 00:36 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

That's not quite true. There's something to be said for customer consideration and there's definitely very little of that when you only sell your games on Origin. Steam is the defacto distribution platform on PC and the vast majority of PC gamers use it. Not only that but they enjoy using it. As such, it makes perfect sense to support it (which is why every single publisher does except EA). It's simply good for customers. It's also good for business, as your game will receive more exposure and more sales (which is why Ubisoft still sells their games on Steam, even though they have their own digital distribution platform). It's a win-win situation.

Imagine if every company only sold its products exclusively through its own storefront. Supermarkets, convenience stores, book stores, Amazon... all would cease to exit. Want to buy a box of Cheerios? Sorry, you have to go to your nearest General Mills store. Want some Colgate toothpaste? Check your local Colgate store. Want a new Nvidia videocard? Gotta buy direct from Nvidia. Shopping would be a very inconvenient and irritating process. That's why people don't like Origin.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition Plans
6. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition Plans Feb 3, 2016, 23:22 Jerykk

I thought Hong Kong was good. Not quite as good as Dragonfall (I thought Dragonfall had a better story) but pretty close. If Dragonfall is a 9, I'd give Hong Kong a 8.5 and Shadowrun Returns a 7.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 1, 2016, 23:35 Jerykk

What projects did you back? There are usually multiple signs that a kickstarter is suspicious:

- Devs have never actually made games.
- Devs claim to have worked with various publishers and developers but don't actually specify what positions they held or what games they worked on.
- Three or less devs involved (the smaller the team, the easier it is for the project to fail when a dev dies/disappears/stops working).
- Funding goal is way lower than the amount needed to make a game of the promised scope and no additional sources of funding are listed.
- Project description lists a bunch of vague ideas but offers nothing specific or concrete (no concept art, screenshots, video, etc).

If a project has 2 or more of the signs listed above, it will most likely fail.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 1, 2016, 02:50 Jerykk

Talk about hyperbole. Here are a bunch of Kickstarter projects that were successful (success = game is finished and released and has a metacritic score of at least 70):

- FTL
- Darkest Dungeon
- Pillars of Eternity
- Wasteland 2
- Dreamfall Chapters
- Sunless Sea
- Undertale
- Elite Dangerous
- Armello
- Broken Age
- Dyscourse
- Republique
- Satellite Reign
- Expeditions: Conquistador
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Dead State

Of course, not all projects are successful and some fail to live up to the hype. However, that's not a problem exclusive to crowdfunding. There are tons of publisher-funded games that fail too. I'm just glad that there's an alternative source of funding for games that publishers won't touch and that many good games exist as a result.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 31, 2016, 17:18 Jerykk

GinRummy wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 15:03:
Tomb Raider on there three times. Wonder if you combined those sales it would be number 1 instead of 2,4 and 9. Kinda skews the worth of ranking.

I think that's a bug. Sometimes these lists show separate entries for different SKUs of the same game when all SKUs are supposed to be represented by a single entry. That's probably what's happening here.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 29, 2016, 04:43 Jerykk

Mars War Logs is fairly standard eurojank. The setting is cool, there are some interesting ideas and the game has a surprisingly decent implementation of choice and consequence. However, the dialogue and combat are pure jank.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
18. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 03:20 Jerykk

Game development certainly is expensive and most Kickstarters ask for way less than they actually need. Often that's because they don't know how much they need. Other times, however, it's because they have multiple funding sources. inXile is still generating revenue from their other games and I'm sure they have investors like Dracogen helping out too. Crowfunding is often just one of several means of funding.

I have no concerns about Torment being finished and, at the very least, a solid RPG. It probably won't live up to PST but nothing created over the past 16 years has either.

14773 Comments. 739 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo