Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14957 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 04:49 Jerykk

Surprising amount of hate for Torment. I actually enjoyed it. The writing wasn't as good as PST's but it was good enough. More importantly, I found all of the locations and quests and most of the characters compelling. At no point was I bored. I loved the amount of detail they poured into the world. I loved how open-ended the quests were. I loved how there were numerous benefits to learning as much as you could about everything. I liked the little nuances, like an item that lets you read people's minds and see what they're really thinking. I liked how you could talk to the same NPCs multiple times and they'd usually have new things to say based on what you've learned. I thoroughly enjoy the acquisition of knowledge and Torment makes that feel very rewarding.

Is the writing overly verbose? Sure, but some would say the same of PST. Is the combat good? No, but it's almost entirely avoidable and still better than PST's. Does the game force you to specialize? No, you can pass every skill check with relative ease. It's less about what your character can do and more about you choose to do. All in all, the game gave me the same feeling I had when playing PST. It sparked a genuine curiosity in me and made me want to learn more about the world(s), its inhabitants and its history.

I wouldn't write off Torment based on the opinions of the vocal minority. If you enjoyed PST, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Torment as well. Just come to it with an open mind and judge it based on its own merits rather than comparing it to your idealized dream sequel to PST. Also, don't fixate on what didn't make it into the final game and focus instead on what did. You'll generally be happier with that approach.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 05:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
47. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 12, 2017, 21:51 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:03:
- It screams casual console cover shooter out of every pore. If you watch the combat video, it once again has those conveniently placed rocks, containers etc. just like the previous games so you know exactly when an area has been designed for a combat encounter just from its design.

Actually, it looks like they're emphasizing run & gun a lot more than cover shooting in this one. You have a jetpack that you can use to dash in any direction and there's a lot more verticality in general.

As for the lip-sync in the Twitch video, the audio is clearly out of sync in the video and not in the game. Watch the beginning and look at the actual, real-world people talking.

I feel like some people just want Andromeda to fail and are looking for any nitpick they can find to support their cynicism. It's an odd phenomenon that's grown increasingly common these days. It's definitely more prevalent with prequels, spin-offs and spiritual successors from different developers.

Maybe I've just become more mellow with age but I find it's easier to just enjoy games based on their strengths instead of looking for reasons to hate them.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2017, 22:01.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 12, 2017, 20:55 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 16:21:
Haha. No sign of Torment. Pretty dead out the gate that one and well deserved after the half-assed job they did on that "game" or visual PDF more like... and don't gimme PST was like that because it wasn't. PST was 500% more actual game than TToN.
Still glad I got a last minute refund for my pledge a few weeks back. The feature cuts and the fact that they put nicer stuff into the retail CE than the "exclusive" backer CE broke the camel's back for me.

#schadenfreude

So... you haven't actually played the game?

News Comments > Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play
12. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 04:35 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 03:43:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 01:57:
Renting content in general is stupid.

What do you think MMO's are? Steam's drm? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Path of exile? "matchmaking" integration where the server exe is never released? (fall of cybertron and many other games).

This ship flew long ago when people were dumb enough to pay for mmo's the ultimate game you pay for but never own. Once that took off f2p and microtransactions were inevitable since mmo's is where they all got there start.

That small percentage of humanity that enabled league of legends and other f2p games to thrive is what has killed gaming. Doubly so for the MMO player who pays for mounts INSIDE an MMO he/she is already paying for.

Look at the gouging in world of warcraft - they know the average gamer is just bum fuck retarded.

Nice rant but missing the point and generally lacking in facts.
1) The traditional MMO subscription model is basically dead, which is why almost every MMO has gone F2P.
2) DRM != rental. When you buy something on Steam, you pay once and can access it forever. A rental has a time limit.
3) You don't rent anything in LoL. You can unlock characters with soft currency (earned in-game) or hard currency (paid for). That's the model people are used to and the one that's deemed acceptable for a F2P game. Paying soft currency to rent a character for a limited time? Yeah, that's not going to work out too well.

News Comments > Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play
8. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 01:57 Jerykk

Using in-game currency to rent characters seems stupid. Renting content in general is stupid. The standard F2P monetization scheme is grind or pay money. Not sure why they don't just have characters cost high amounts of in-game currency for permanent unlocks.  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 20, 2017, 04:44 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 03:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 22:59:
Quinn wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 17:50:
J wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 14:06:
Four Honor. You're welcome!

I am simply stunned by how incredibly NOT FUN this fucking game is. I hate the fact that I find it so incredibly hard to believe some people somehow like the game. XD

Elaborate? Did they somehow fuck up the combat balance / cheesy/exploitable moves? Mount and Blade is immensely fun, but from videos, this For Honor thing looks a lot slower and lumbering with dedicated combos that are always going to be optimal if you get a stun in etc. (which would make combat always the same).

Anyway, it's Ubisoft, so no surprise it's a good idea with horrible execution. ^^

You got it right. There are perfect combo's. Whether you manage to pull them off relies entirely on a concept not much more elaborate than rock, paper, scissor. The animations cannot be cancelled. It's headache enticingly bad, imo.

This isn't coming from someone who keeps losing fights -- I need to stress this out. I'm just getting more satisfaction out of 1 kill in Titanfall 2 than an entire match, full of executions, in Four Honor.

What do you mean by "perfect combo?" Every hit can be parried unless you're stunned.

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
5. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 16:46 Jerykk

If they do release anything exclusively on PC, it won't be a AAA game. Probably some F2P multiplayer spinoff, like they did with Halo Online (and only in Russia).  

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
45. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 23:25 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 20:23:
The irony is when EA says that they have the legal right to sell their own games, and telling the 3rd party Steam to fuck off, then it's absolute revolt.

The difference is that people like using Steam and don't like using Origin. Forcing people to use Origin isn't going to make Origin a replacement for Steam. It just makes Origin an annoying program you only ever use when you want to play an EA game. Ubisoft is smart enough to make their games available on Steam, even if they still require Uplay. EA... not so much. For their big series like Battlefield or Mass Effect, not being on Steam doesn't hurt them too much (though it still hurts them). But the smaller, lower profile series like Syndicate or Crysis or The Saboteur or Mercenaries or even Need For Speed would greatly benefit from being on Steam.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Updated Ending Offers Hint?
9. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Updated Ending Offers Hint? Feb 15, 2017, 23:15 Jerykk

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 22:58:
its too easy, so its not good in that sense - its not nearly as fleshed out as something like MGSV or even Far Cry, when you consider the takedown skill trees and all that, the AI reactivity and so forth

its not quite an afterthought, but its just half-baked... sure it "works" but thats not nearly enough IMO

i guess it upsets me because its so close to being actually really good.. maybe WD3 will get a home run on that

Uh, you think Far Cry has better stealth than Watch_Dogs? Really? Watch_Dogs gives you way more tools to manipulate the AI with. You have so many ways to distract the AI, hide from the AI and neutralize the AI. In FC, you just throw a rock, wait for an enemy to walk towards it and then stab him in the back. Or just snipe him with a silenced sniper rifle.

MGSV is definitely a better stealth game than Watch_Dogs but Far Cry? Not even close.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
7. Re: Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access Feb 13, 2017, 12:21 Jerykk

MacLeod wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 11:14:
For $1000, you physically get:

Collector’s Ornate Box
Unique T-Shirt with Your Name
Inqusitor’s Chalice
Map of the Caligari Sector (Cloth)
Caligari Credit Coins (Metal)
Inqusitor’s Pendrive (16 GB)
Signed Hardcover Book
Exclusive Half-Day Studio Tour * (travel fees not included)

There is literally nothing in that pack worth more than a couple hundred even if you were into the game collector's piece thing. For the $1000, I'd say they'd have to include travel and lodgings for it to be worth that amount.

Collectors' editions are always overpriced. That's the whole point. People don't buy them because they are good investments. They buy them because they want to own something that most people don't.

News Comments > E3 Opens to Public
7. Re: E3 Opens to Public Feb 8, 2017, 23:21 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:22:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:20:
Or you can sit in the comfort of your home and watch the free 1080p stream without the hassle of LA traffic and gamer body funk. Wacko

Not the same, I used to attended a lot in the late 90's to mid 2008

Ill be trying to get in this year too. Its a lot of fun to talk with the devs and see the games and play them.

Good luck with that. E3 was already a clusterfuck before this. You had to wait in line to see or play anything unless you were press or a VIP. Now that it's open to the public, the lines will be about 5 times longer. You'll be lucky to see or play more than 3 games on any given day.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
17. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Feb 1, 2017, 02:13 Jerykk

In Fallout 4 you had to side with either the Railroad, The Institute, or Brotherhood of Steel, and I think you could save the Minutemen. There was no way to get all 3.

In New Vegas they gave you extra options (if I remember this correctly) that you could get most of the factions together in one way or another by the end of the game.

*SPOILERS INCOMING*

The end game of FO4 was very odd. When your son asks you to join the Institute and you start doing quests for them, you actually do get to make some interesting in choices. In one quest, you need to retrieve a scientist that the Institute is interested in. You can either do it through force, as per the usual Institute approach, or you can persuade him to join voluntarily. Then there's another quest where you need to read a speech to announce the Institute's existence to the public. You can either read the speech the way it was written (sinister, forceful, etc) or you can make the speech much more compassionate. With all these choices to make the Institute more diplomatic and with your inevitable assumption of leadership, I figured I'd be able to reach a peaceful compromise between with the other factions. Nope. Gotta wipe them off the face of the Earth.

It's even dumber if you aligned with the Railroad up until that point. As leader of the Institute, you could eventually change their policies towards synths while retaining all of the useful work they've been doing in other areas. But nope, you're forced to literally nuke their entire base and destroy everything they've created, including the synth manufacturing plant, even though the the Railroad is all about saving synths.

It's bizarre how Bethesda handled the end game. Compared to FO3, FO4 was much more nuanced in terms of morality. They even removed the Karma system. For most of the game, the Institute is spoken of as the epitome of evil but then you find out they actually aren't so bad. The BoS aren't the shining knights in armor that they were in FO3 and can be dicks, but they aren't evil either. The Railroad is depicted as the most obviously "good" of the factions but even they do questionable things, like betraying their spy in the Institute and ultimately killing his family. For a fleeting moment, I thought that Bethesda actually learned something from Obsidian... until the end game where you have to completely annihilate the other factions.

It seems like they did learn something from FO4, as Far Harbor has a much, much better end game. Still, I'm not sure what they were thinking for FO4's end game.

Not so that the Legion and Cali Free State guys would be friends. They were also literally diametrically opposed. So in that way, it's exactly the same way as FO4.

Except the factions aren't diametrically opposed in FO4. The Railroad doesn't like how the Institute uses synths. However, without the Institute, synths wouldn't even exist. If I've earned sufficient reputation with both factions and have sufficient charisma, I should be able to broker some sort of alliance or at the very least, a peace treaty. As leader of the Institute, I should have the power to change policy and I could offer every Institute synth the choice of staying or leaving. I could also change the Institute tactic of replacing humans with synths. That alone would be more than enough to placate the Railroad. Hell, without the Institute, synths are basically doomed to extinction.

As for the Brotherhood, their top priority is the preservation of technology. As the leader of the Institute, I could offer them more advanced technology than they could even imagine. That would be more than enough to placate them. The destruction of the Institute goes against the Brotherhood's prime directive of preserving technology.

Seriously, if the Institute agreed to stop replacing humans with synths, gave synths freedom and offered to share their technology, there would be no reason why they couldn't come to diplomatic resolution with the other factions. And as leader of the Institute, I should have the power to make that agreement. It shouldn't be easy. It should require a high reputation with each of the factions and very high charisma. But it should be possible. There is a lot of common ground between all three factions.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2017, 02:54.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
10. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Jan 31, 2017, 00:00 Jerykk

Task wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:38:
Frankly I'm ready for Fallout to be taken out back and quietly put down after the Bethesda and Embyro game engine treatment. Besides isn't Obsidian busy with their own IPs now (Pillars), unless they have another team available to actually do a Fallout.

They have multiple teams working on multiple games at any given time. If this rumor is true, the bulk of the studio would be working on Fallout. The Pillars team was always relatively small by comparison.

I'd like to see this happen too, with a not crap engine and also with Obsidian writing it instead of Bethesda's crappy in-house writing team. But Bethesda burned Obsidian so badly, I'd be amazed if they were involved. And they'll be riding that 2006 version of GameBryo (sorry, "The Creation Engine") into the ground.

Obsidian would be stupid not to take the project. It would be a huge project that would provide a significant amount of income, even without royalties. It would also add another high-profile title to their resume.

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
21. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 12:25 Jerykk

I enjoyed Mankind Divided and hope they at least finish the prequel trilogy someday. Sure, MD sold below expectations but so did pretty much every sequel released in 2016.  

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
29. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 30, 2017, 04:54 Jerykk

I like Jerykk, smart guy, has interesting views on gaming and games but please, lets not 'forget' about the years and years he justified software piracy.

Not sure how that's relevant to anything being discussed here. I don't deny that I pirated games in the past but that doesn't change the reality of how crowdfunding or game development works today. For what it's worth, I now own over 2000 games on Steam, 300+ across GOG, Uplay and Origin and have backed over 40 Kickstarter projects. If you're concerned that I haven't given my fair share to the games industry, you needn't worry.

In the past, I suggested that piracy was the only reliable way to judge games before buying them but these days, consumers have many more resources to work with. You can often watch hours of unedited gameplay footage on Youtube and Twitch and gain plenty of information from previews, reviews, interviews, AMAs, forums, Steam reviews, etc. Media coverage as a whole has increased exponentially over the last decade. In addition, the process of buying, installing and playing games is faster and easier than ever before and games are cheaper as well. Piracy is largely redundant now and difficult to justify unless you have little to no expendable income (an issue I no longer suffer from).

24. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 20:58 Jerykk

grudgebearer wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 20:31:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 15:56:
People also need to learn how game development works. It isn't an exact science. Ideas that sound good on paper may not work so well in practice. Iteration leads to better games and during the process, things will be changed or cut for the better of the product as a whole. If you can't accept this, you shouldn't be Kickstarting games.

So, you don't have a problem with them waiting until less than a month before release, to tell backers that they in fact are not going to meet the kickstarter goals, and then only coming clean because they were called out on a reddit and had to respond?

I don't have a problem with it because I always expected things to change during development and don't need to be informed of every design decision they make. I trust in their ability to do what's best for the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't have backed it. When I back something on Kickstarter, I'm backing the general idea, not specific details. To me, Torment is a spiritual successor to PST. As such, I expect it to be a CRPG with good writing, interesting characters and interesting locations. That's it.

I guess one of the benefits of working with a publisher is that you don't have random people on the internet calling for blood every time you change anything while developing a game. The final product is never completely faithful to the original design doc and publishers understand this.

Should inXile have explained the changes to backers sooner? Sure. Communication is good. Should backers freak out and act like the game has been ruined? No, that's a silly overreaction. Crafting was always an odd choice for a stretch goal and wasn't even a part of PST, so removing it seems like a logical choice. PST was never about loot to begin with. The Bloom being bigger than Oasis could be good or bad, depending on how interesting the Bloom is. Reducing the number of companions so that they can be more fleshed out and interesting? Seems reasonable. All of these changes are relatively minor within the scope and direction of the project. It's not like inXile is turning Torment into an FPS or F2P multiplayer game.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2017, 21:14.

11. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 15:56 Jerykk

People really need to learn what Kickstarter is. When you back a Kickstarter, you shouldn't treat it like pre-ordering a product or making an investment. Instead, you are essentially donating money to an idea. That's it. It's better to think of it like Patreon. If the idea comes to fruition, that's great but there are no guarantees. If you back a Kickstarter and expect that the release date and stretch goals are part of an ironclad contract, you've already missed the point.

People also need to learn how game development works. It isn't an exact science. Ideas that sound good on paper may not work so well in practice. Iteration leads to better games and during the process, things will be changed or cut for the better of the product as a whole. If you can't accept this, you shouldn't be Kickstarting games.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera
35. Re: Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera Jan 12, 2017, 23:47 Jerykk

Looking forward to this. Not expecting it to beat PST but I'm pretty sure it'll still be a good CRPG with good writing.

Now to decide if I should play it at launch or wait for the inevitable Director's Cut in a year.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 10, 2017, 23:22 Jerykk

NetHead wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 17:21:
It's a bit strange to see something so successful ending, like an untapped goldmine. Though rather end on a strong note as opposed to being milked into a diluted mess as there's always the chance of them picking it back up at some point in the future.

I'm pretty sure they aren't abandoning the franchise forever. Just taking a break. They've been making Witcher games for almost 15 years. Once Cyberpunk ships, they'll likely consider diving back into fantasy.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer
19. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 23:11 Jerykk

I'd like to see a good single-player Conan RPG.  

14957 Comments. 748 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo