Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14791 (Ninja)
User ID 20715
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released
3. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 7, 2016, 23:53 Jerykk
Slick wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 23:35:
Nuhauser wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 22:20:
To me it looks like Dying Light without guns and zombies. And I know Mirror's Edge came out long before Dying Light, it just seems like a lot of new games are using a "parkour" style in their gameplay mechanics, even the new Doom has a speedy ledge grab maneuver.

early reviews aren't good, looks more like an expansion pack for the original.. would have been nice to see a more fleshed out game after 8 years...

It is more fleshed out. The combat has been expanded, there are more enemy types, you have more parkour moves, the game is open-world and there's way more content overall. In terms of changes, ME:C has more than most sequels. I think people just don't find the core gameplay as compelling as they used to. Parkour is no longer a novel concept and has been done by many games since ME's release. The parkour in ME:C has a lot more depth than the parkour in Dying Light but people don't really care about the details. They were more interested in the high-level concept and that concept is no longer new.

The game wasn't in development for 8 years either. Years passed before EA decided to even greenlight a sequel.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > The Solus Project Next Week
4. Re: The Solus Project Next Week Jun 2, 2016, 23:32 Jerykk
Wesp5 wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 16:21:
Is anyone else here bored by the similar settings of most of the current indy games? Some of the typical things I remember are:

1) play out in a postapocalyptic world
2) have the player be alone with no NPCs
3) include survival elements and crafting
4) show the player having psychologic issue

Is it so difficult to program friendly or enemy NPCs in the free engines like Unity 5 or Unreal 4 or are the developers just lazy?

Programming AI is difficult in general. That's why so many games have stupid AI. If you want good AI, you basically need an experienced AI programmer dedicated to AI for the entire project and most indies don't have that luxury.
News Comments > Mafia III Trailer
15. Re: Mafia III Trailer May 30, 2016, 04:36 Jerykk
From a gameplay standpoint, this sounds like the most interesting Mafia yet. You're working with three different subfactions and you gain favor by capturing territory for them. However, you can only give each territory to one faction so although you gain favor with them, you lose favor with the other two. Different factions offer different benefits and resources, affecting how you play the game. There will likely be story ramifications too. Also, missions seem way more open-ended than in the previous games, with stealth being a much more common option.

For me, the appeal of Mafia has always been the story and the setting. The gameplay has always been solid, if unremarkable. Mafia 3 looks to be stepping it up in the gameplay department. Hopefully they retain the great writing the series is known for.

Look up Mafia 3 on Youtube and you'll find plenty of gameplay footage.
News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Trailer
6. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Trailer May 26, 2016, 03:38 Jerykk
DangerDog wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:34:
Played the beta for a few hours and although it's touting the new Frostbite engine it didn't seem much improved from the first one, on the surface it looks and plays well enough but the open world aspect falls flat if you go off script and want to do any urban exploration.

The open world missions were repetitive and boring, I'm not into doing perfect runs to get a fast time on a leader board. It felt like a lot of the pseudo open world racing games that EA makes, the fact that they're virtually devoid of life makes the experience less than ideal and that's the vibe I got from the beta, pretty on the surface but don't look too closely otherwise it falls apart and the corners cut start to show.

I imagine if you just stick to the scripted story it'll be worth a playthough but I'll wait for a discount price before taking the plunge.

If you're not interested in time trials, I'm not sure Mirror's Edge is right for you. The time trials were the best part of the first game and really forced you to learn and appreciate the depth of the traversal mechanics. From what I played of the ME:C beta, this still holds true, only the time trials are now integrated into the core game.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
45. Re: Steam Top 10 May 24, 2016, 01:54 Jerykk
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 12:43:
Here's an example of something that happens all the time in the new doom. You see an imp, a low health cannon fodder enemy, and you shoot him with a direct hit. Instead of dying and being thrown across the room in a satisfying fashion, it just stays there, barely reacting to your shot and enters a "stunned" state, which is basically death. Eventually it'll come out of stunned state, but it takes a long time for most enemies. Now you have to either go up to that imp and melee him, or you have to shoot him again and waste ammo. In both instances you waste time and it's less satisfying. Also, the imp is flashing like an asshole and it looks like a Disney arcade game and that takes you out of the immersion and it annoys your brain into thinking more about that monster than you should. You can't just continue killing, you have to go take care of that annoying thing.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that people who prefer the glory kill thing either haven't played better or don't have enough experience with games to imagine better. Maybe I just have different tastes...

I've been playing shooters (and games in general) since Wolf 3D and I beat the new DOOM on Nightmare difficulty. I also know that only certain weapons will stun imps. Namely, the weapons have lower damage per projectile, like the basic shotgun (primary fire, not the secondary grenade which usually one-shots imps on direct hits), plasma gun, assault rifle and chaingun. I was regularly one-shotting imps with the super shotgun, gauss rifle and rocket launcher.

I'm guessing you haven't been using a lot of the weapons or secondary firing modes. Also, the hand grenade is a great way to finish off groups of enemies. Finally, on Nightmare difficulty, seeing a glory kill opportunity is never "annoying." It's a relief because you die in 1-3 hits and need all the health you can get.
27. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 12:30 Jerykk
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 11:32:
I strongly disagree with people that think glory kills are a good thing. Just go play Brutal Doom. The combat is faster and flows much better. The glory kills turn enemies into bullet sponges and you constantly have to walk over to them to melee them. Sure, you can also spend like one or two extra shots of wasted ammo if you don't want to go run up to them, but for me that's unacceptable. I just want to shoot an enemy and have it die and be throw around the room... I can't have that anymore most of the time. Also, you can't turn them off. You can only turn off the animation, which is what I did. It does improve it a little, but only visually.

Also, the max amount of enemies at a time might not be 6, but it's definitely very small. It always feels like you're fighting a handful of demons and once you kill one, another one respawns. Maybe you guys don't have the eye for it? It's just like Borderlands, and it breaks the immersion for me. Original Doom can have at least 10 times the amount of enemies on screen and some levels do.

If your guns could one-shot every enemy, it would be too easy. The point of giving enemies a lot of health is to force you to keep moving and switch up your weapons. You should be maximizing your DPS by constantly switching weapons. Conserving ammo should not be a consideration, which is why glory kills give you ammo.
News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans
8. Re: Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans May 23, 2016, 02:43 Jerykk
rudra wrote on May 21, 2016, 23:58:
probly denuvo yet again, zapping away those resources.. devs are idiots, cant handle the code for it, etc.

The claims about Denuvo having an impact on performance are unfounded. DOOM uses Denuvo and runs great. I dislike DRM as much as anyone else but so far, Denuvo hasn't had any proven negative impact on end users.
News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans
7. Re: Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans May 23, 2016, 02:40 Jerykk
Quinn wrote on May 22, 2016, 15:52:
Apart from performance issues, it's incredible how not one review I've read managed to put the finger on why the game is only a bit better than mediocre. They just can't seem to clarify what it is that makes the game meh. It's annoying. So far everything I see in Youtube vids makes me want to buy the game... :\

Hmm, the reviews I've read have been pretty clear about it:

1) AI is retarded.
2) Guns aren't satisfying to use.
3) Death has no meaning so it's usually better to just ignore enemies and go for the objectives.
4) Missions are very generic and repetitive.
5) Writing is inconsistent.
6) Vehicle controls are lousy.
7) The game doesn't really take advantage of the premise and ends up being nothing more than a half-baked Far Cry clone.
News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 23, 2016, 02:30 Jerykk
rudra wrote on May 22, 2016, 20:46:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2016, 20:06:
Do none of you have access to HBO Now where you live? If you like these shows so much why not pay for them?

do you know how to fucking read?

I think he does but your opinion is a bit confusing. If HBO creates a show that you enjoy (like GoT), why wouldn't you want them to continue making shows that you enjoy? If you hated everything they make, your opinion would make sense. But apparently you don't..?
17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2016, 02:28 Jerykk
ItBurn wrote on May 23, 2016, 00:30:
I played 5 hours of the new Doom SP and it was exactly what I expected. So far it's a 7.5 for me. There's major flaws in the game that could easily have been prevented. I can't understand why they made these decisions. Mostly, the engine has texture issues, the glory kills are a terrible and make the combat worse, it's all about "enter clear fight area, area locks, enemies spawn out of nowhere, kill enemies, area unlocks" and there's never really more than 6 enemies at a time. The level design is great though, much better than the linear bullshit we get in games nowadays.

Glory kills are optional and you can get a rune that speeds them up. I thought I was going to hate them but they really aren't bad and don't disrupt the flow of combat.

As for the area lockdowns, I thought that they actually worked pretty well thanks to the level design. Each lockdown area is like a mini-Quake arena and is fun to fight in. Dealing with waves of enemies forces you to keep moving and take advantage of the full combat space. It actually captures the Quake multiplayer experience really well.
News Comments > Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced
6. Re: Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced May 20, 2016, 12:24 Jerykk
Drayth wrote on May 20, 2016, 11:07:
I think they're trying to push the notion that if you own an Xbox you should really get Windows 10, and if you own Windows 10, life would be great if you also had an Xbox. I've been noticing that subtle(?) slant from them since the Win10 launch.

This. Microsoft wants everyone to own Windows 10 AND an Xbox One, not just one or the other. That's why they refuse to release new Halo games on PC. Halo is the killer app for the Xbox.
News Comments > DOOM Trailers
13. Re: DOOM Trailers May 12, 2016, 02:41 Jerykk
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:35:
SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2016, 22:54:

Remember too, has it for $35.

Wtf, that's damn cheap for pre-release. How reliable/sketchy is

Aka, are they trying to outdo G2A in their shadiness? isn't even listed on, come on now.

Hrm, they also want a cell phone number to send a code to.

I've purchased numerous keys (pre-orders and otherwise) from and never had any issues. Delivered on time (or earlier), activated fine and never revoked.

Much of the controversy surrounding "gray market" sites stems from a few isolated incidents involving marketplaces where random users can sell keys (specifically, the G2A and Kinguin marketplaces). cdkeys is not a marketplace. You're buying keys directly from the company that runs the site.

Back on topic, that Nvidia footage actually made me want to play the game now. The console footage that was shown previously was slow and boring but this PC footage actually reminds me of Quake. They should have showed this a lot earlier.
News Comments > Vampire Bloodlines TMed
4. Re: Vampire Bloodlines TMed May 6, 2016, 23:07 Jerykk
Cutter wrote on May 6, 2016, 22:04:
Creston wrote on May 6, 2016, 21:37:
It was a great RPG, but it was so horrendously broken on release that I'm sure nobody was really surprised when it didn't sell well.

It was even more galling that the game had been done for over a year (since they had to wait for HL2 to come out first), and they fixed absolutely jack shit in that timespan...

Yeah, without the community fixes the game would have been a blip on gaming history radar. Still, everyone's been waiting for this for a long time. Let's hope they don't drop the ball.

Nah, that's not true. Most of the people who played Bloodlines did so without any of the community fixes. I played the game at launch and thought it was awesome even with all the jank.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month
15. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 5, 2016, 03:27 Jerykk
Tachikoma wrote on May 5, 2016, 02:39:
Procedural Fallout/Skyrim would be the best thing to happen to videogaming.

Not sure how you can say that after experiencing the procedural quests in Skyrim and FO4. Generic, forgettable and extremely half-assed quests are not the best thing to happen to gaming. I'll take lovingly hand-crafted quests (ala Witcher 3) over procedurally-generated drivel (Skyrim/FO4) any day.

The inherent problem with procedurally-generated content is that being technically "unique" doesn't make something interesting or compelling. Games that rely on procedural generation aren't remembered for their level or quest design. They're remembered for their systems and mechanics and Bethesda isn't exactly good at either of those things. Instead, Bethesda's RPGs are known for their large, detailed worlds that are fun and interesting to explore and that's only because they're hand-crafted. Take that away and you have a lackluster action game with weak RPG elements and lousy writing.
News Comments > Dishonored 2 in November
38. Re: Dishonored 2 in November May 5, 2016, 02:26 Jerykk
Creston wrote on May 4, 2016, 13:33:
Very much enjoyed the first one, but there was a HUGE dichotomy between the "Kill everyone" and "Kill No one" paths. In that the first one was fun as hell, and had awesome powers, and the second path was basically a big, boring snooze.

Needless to say, in DH2, I'll be slaughtering everyone like cattle.

Eh, speak for yourself. I went pure stealth (didn't kill or pacify anyone) and I found it very entertaining. But then, I enjoy pure stealth. Trying to figure out how to complete objectives without being detected and without neutralizing anyone provides a lot of interesting challenges. Killing/knocking people out in a stealthy manner is generally boring because it's so easy, especially when you can teleport and pause time.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month
13. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor This Month May 4, 2016, 23:02 Jerykk
Hopefully there aren't any procedural quests in this.  
News Comments > Dishonored 2 in November
8. Re: Dishonored 2 in November May 3, 2016, 22:58 Jerykk
Hyped. Kind of disappointing that they went with two protagonists instead of just Emily when she's clearly the focus. Most likely a marketing decision, as Bethesda probably didn't think a game with only a female lead would sell.  
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
28. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer May 2, 2016, 05:05 Jerykk
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 09:02:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 05:41:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 05:13:
Looks pretty cool. And pretty too. Too bad the premise of the story is so awful that Im probably not going to play it simply because I can't stand such sorry world building. The "augmented" are segregated and a new apartheid reigns supreme? Sounds like hogwash to me. Think about it for a second. Only the rich would be able to afford such gadetry and technology if it were ever to appear, and only the rich would control it. Makes no sense that the "augmented" are the oppressed and the downtrodden. If there is one thing I can't stand in Sci-Fi its a faulty premise, and this one is broken-beyond-repair faulty...

It started that way, the rich / well-off having the augs, but then they became more affordable. And at the end of the last game the augs were hacked and everyone with them started experiencing hallucinations and going on violent rampages. So that why the non-augmented are segregating them now. Might be worth reading up on things before you declare them broke-beyond-repair faulty.

Hmm, well that makes a bit of sense I guess.

Did you really gripe about the premise of the sequel and essentially threaten to boycott it without even beating the previous game?
News Comments > Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused
58. Re: Romero Apr 30, 2016, 05:55 Jerykk
You're only as good as your last game and for all intents and purposes, Daikatana was Romero's last game. That's one of the classic examples of games utterly failing to live up to the hype so I'm not sure why anyone would give him money now based on, well, hype.

That said, it's possible that he could redeem himself. Everybody hated Harvey Smith after DX:IW until he made Dishonored.
News Comments > DOOM Single-Player Video
29. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 05:14 Jerykk
Multiplayer feels like Halo but single-player might be good. Looks better than Doom 3, at least, though Shadow Warrior 2 looks superior in almost every regard.  
14791 Comments. 740 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo