Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On April 23, 2004
Supporter -
Total Comments 15183 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Commandos Game in Development

5. Re: New Commandos Game in Development Apr 4, 2020, 04:34 Jerykk

Given Kalypso's track record, I'm a bit skeptical about this. However, the genre can use any support it can get so I'm hoping for the best.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Steam Key for Fallout 76 Owners

13. Re: Free Steam Key for Fallout 76 Owners Apr 3, 2020, 03:54 Jerykk

Retired wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 14:48:
I thought I was going to be all in on FO76, but I didn't buy it. After reading a bunch, watching videos, streamers, etc.....I don't feel like I missed anything.

Can someone who is playing and enjoying give some info as to if and why I should jump in?

Thanks.

/edit: Thanks Horrorscope.

Did you enjoy FO4's core gameplay loop? Are you content with exploring, killing, scavenging and crafting? Is interesting lore enough story for you? If so, you'll probably like FO76.

However, if you're looking for a single-player RPG, FO76 is not that. It's a multiplayer game, along with all the restrictions on player agency that come with it.

News Comments > Epic Games Publishing Announced

54. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 30, 2020, 12:21 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 07:51:
Epic is curated as a bug. They don't have the ability to add everything, only what they think will sell. That's a nice side effect that will go away. Discoverability still sucks, and one is always better off researching off storefronts than on it.

Nah, it's not even about what's going to sell. Look at their actual selection. Did they really think Omen of Sorrow was going to sell well? Rune II? Bee Simulator? Any of the random, obscure indie games that they've given away for free?

Again, getting on EGS comes down to three things:
1) Timed exclusivity.
2) Giveaways.
3) Highly-anticipated games.

If you aren't doing one of those, you aren't getting on EGS.

52. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 30, 2020, 03:41 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 19:57:
It's kind of nice to have an actual curated list of high-quality content, as opposed to the Alibaba Warehouse that is Steam.

Ah, yes, high quality content like Omen of Sorrow (64 MC), Sinking City (71 MC), Bee Simulator (58 MC), Mechwarrior 5 (74 MC), Shenmue III (69 MC) and Rune II (47 MC)...

EGS' selection has nothing to do with curation. If you want to get onto EGS, you need to do one of three things:

1) Accept a timed exclusivity deal.
2) Allow your game to be one of the weekly giveaways.
3) Be a highly-anticipated, high-profile AAA game like Cyberpunk or Death Stranding.

I like how it's assumed that given the choice, game developers wouldn't want their game on a store that takes 12% instead of 30%. Weather it's exclusive to that store or not, shouldn't they want their games be available to the world and not have to throw stacks of paper at Valve for the privilege?

Not a single publisher or developer has chosen to be EGS-exclusive because of the 88% cut. Those deals are entirely the result of Epic giving them significant lump sum payments. That's why every single EGS exclusive ends up on Steam and other platforms within a year. The larger cut doesn't mean shit when you're selling significantly fewer units.

As you said, publishers and developers should want their games to be as broadly available as possible. That means not being exclusive to EGS.

A game which doesn't use Steamworks or SteamVR doesn't need to be on Steam.

A game that doesn't use Steam APIs doesn't need to be exclusive to Steam. Games should be available on as many distribution platforms as possible. Steam, GOG, EGS, Uplay, Origin, Game Pass, Itch.io, etc. However, exclusivity deals (like the ones Epic does) prevent that from happening.

10. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 12:43 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 11:31:
Betting it will include restrictions on which platform you can release

No doubt all of these games will be permanent EGS exclusives on PC but also available on consoles despite their tyrannical 30% store "tax."

I'm guessing Epic realized that timed exclusives aren't really working out because people just wait until they're on Steam.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 23, 2020, 04:56 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:27:
I'm thinking all guns, infinite ammo, no hud, use monitor's crosshair and I'll be set.

Might as well turn on god mode while you're at it...

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

21. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 04:54 Jerykk

MT Silver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 01:05:
I really don't care what they called it. The 2017 Prey was excellent and I would love a sequel.

This. I enjoyed the original Prey but wouldn't call it a classic by any means. It's an 8/10 game. Prey 2017 was pretty great, though. Some really excellent level design and thoughtful enemy design too. I really liked how most of their mechanics were tied to the environment. I thought the player's abilities were really fun too.

The Mooncrash DLC was excellent too. It forced you try different playstyles and use more of the tools available to you, giving you a greater appreciation of the game's depth.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Preloads

2. Re: DOOM Eternal Preloads Mar 18, 2020, 03:22 Jerykk

I don't think Doom 64 has any preload. It still shows "Coming March 20, 2020" in my library.  

News Comments > Insider Look at Valve's Culture

13. Re: Insider Look at Valve's Culture Mar 18, 2020, 03:20 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 00:09:
I find it funny that this is "news".

Glad so many are content to keep handing 30% over to a company that hasn't had an original game idea since the original Half-Life.

I mean, why would anyone want to use the storefront of the people who actually employ 10,000 game designers? Fuck those guys! I'd rather give billions to Gabe with the 30% tax so that he can reinvest that money properly, in his own private yacht collection. The rich get richer.

When will people see that Steam is a cancer on the gaming industry, not a saviour. You're willingly supporting a platform that diverts money AWAY from game developers. I have a lot of love for the people who sacrifice and have to put up with so much grind, hardship, and competition just to get the chance to work in gaming. I want them to get my money.

Fuck GabeN.

This might be the dumbest thing I've read this year.

1) Customers give money to Steam because Steam is, by far, the best digital distribution service. It has the best feature set, the biggest selection, the biggest sales and the most flexible currency and payment method support.
2) Developers give money to Steam in return for exposure to a huge audience (like China), useful APIs (achievements, leaderboards, cloud saves, matchmaking, invites, etc), great metrics tools, great community tools, etc.

I understand being salty about Valve because they haven't made a sequel to your favorite game. However, that has no bearing on the quality of Steam or its value to both customers and developers. Get a grip.

News Comments > The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW

22. Re: The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW Mar 2, 2020, 22:58 Jerykk

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 16:26:
That ruling will also apply here. Nvidia will be considered violating copyright law because they have a single copy of a game installed being shared by a bunch of users playing the same copy. To really get around this particular technicality, Nvidia would have to make a cloud drive for every user then make the user install the game in their own cloud space for each game. Then run that copy of the binaries that the user installed to their own cloud space.

I don't think that's actually the case. When you buy a game on Steam, you are essentially buying a license to play that game on your Steam account. GFN doesn't change that. You're still logging in to your Steam account to use the game license you purchased. You aren't making copies of that license.

Nvidia isn't catering to these revocation demands out of legal obligation. They're doing it because they want to maintain good relations with publishers and developers. Publishers and developers aren't demanding their games be pulled for any legal reason either. They simply see this as another monetization opportunity and don't want to miss out on potential revenue, even if they've done nothing to earn said revenue.

News Comments > 1M Signup for GeForce NOW Trials; Service Losing Most Bethesda Titles

2. Re: 1M Signup for GeForce NOW Trials; Service Losing Most Bethesda Titles Feb 21, 2020, 23:27 Jerykk

Why are they pulling their games? GeForce Now only lets you stream games you already own. The publishers were already compensated when the games were originally purchased.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

29. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 15:54 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 11:57:
No idea where your getting that info because epic pays each pub/dev differently.

While they are obviously two different styles of games, Remedy's Control seems to disprove your info. Additionally Control is reported to be much more creative and have amazing gameplay.
Despite critical success from the media, sales were hampered. Also means a massive loss of PR dollars. All wasted because it couldn't reach a diverse audience.

Control didn't sell well on consoles either, not just PC. That likely wouldn't have changed even if the game launched on Steam. It would have sold better on Steam than it did on EGS but probably not enough to offset Epic's bribe money.

Developers and publishers know that their games will sell less on EGS than on Steam. That's why these exclusivity deals are timed and why Epic is paying out millions to get them.

Bhruic wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 09:52:
Wait, you start off by saying you can't say without actual sales data, and then make all sorts of conclusions about the financials of the situation without sales data. How do you know the "bribe money" more than covers potential losses? How do you know if developers/publishers care about how their games sell on EGS? If you're going to make lots of claims that rely on having good data, maybe don't start off by saying you don't actually have that data, because then all your claims look really stupid.

Developers and publishers aren't stupid. They base their budgets on estimated sales and as such, have expectations for many copies they can sell within the first year. They also know that their games aren't going to sell much on EGS compared to Steam, hence the timed exclusivity as opposed to permanent exclusivity. Permanent exclusivity would cost Epic a whole lot more than timed exclusivity because the potential losses would be far greater.

You don't need exact numbers to make logical deductions.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2020, 16:05.

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

23. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 06:28 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 22:40:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 21:35:
afka Rossini wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 18:18:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 15:40:
Well, at least they weren't stupid enough to launch on Steam at full price (there's a 40% "discount" on this year-old game... how generous...). Though I notice that the full price is listed at $39.99 and I don't remember if that was the full price on release. Either way, I'm not paying anywhere near that much for Epic's sloppy seconds.

I find that exclusivity deals have just saved me money, because I really have no burning desire to play some of these games after waiting (and enough lets-plays and other material has come out to show me that I probably would have wasted my money if I had bought immediately... looking at you Phoenix Point & Julian Gollop). I'd have bought Mechwarrior 5 launch day full price if it had come out on Steam. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even bother when it gets rereleased, there's just too much wrong with it based on the lets-plays I've watched. Oh well, hopefully that "exclusivity money" was enough to make up for my lost sale...

Since it's the first AAA title I'm aware of to have Epic exclusivity expire and I had any interest in, I picked it up on Steam today for $24 US. That's less than half the original price. If enough Steam buyers show up this week, maybe developers will re-think Epic exclusivity.

Nope. The exact opposite will be true. If people still buy even after the year, all that tells publishers is that they can take Epic's money first, then take our money later. The only way they'll rethink exclusivity is if the games that have it don't meet sales expectations, both during and after. Otherwise, you'll just teach them they can slap you around and you'll still come back for more...

No, if they're smart, it all depends on how the math works out. They definitely would have made calculations beforehand to estimate the sales breakdown with and without exclusivity in order to make their decision, and soon they'll be able to tell how accurate those were. Just as there was the possibility for EGS totals to disappoint, there is the possibility that Steam sales are exceedingly strong, and both would be reasons to not do the same thing next time.

It's hard to say without any actual sales data. Epic's bribe money more than covers any potential losses within the first year of sales and is guaranteed revenue before the game even launches. Developers/publishers don't really care how their games sell on EGS because they already got paid by Epic. For long-term revenue, they rely on Steam, hence the timed nature of all these exclusivity deals.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

131. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 23:53 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 15:14:
Who cares if it's a weak/invalid comparison? Even if it were entirely apt, is there anyone who's actually happy about the fact that more and more online streaming services are popping up? The reason that people liked Netflix so much is that it centralized all of their watching in a single location. The only reason that I would give up the convenience of centralization is if it became too costly, but since the alternatives are all similarly priced, that's not an issue.

I'm not a fan of exclusivity but I can tolerate it if the content otherwise wouldn't exist. First-party exclusives are entirely funded by the platform owner. The platform owner is creating content to increase the value of their platform. As such, I can't get too angry about that content being exclusive to said platform.

Timed third-party exclusives, on the other hand, are pure shitbaggery. Their sole purpose is to reduce the value of competing platforms by depriving them of content. It's about as anti-competitive and anti-consumer as it gets.

People keep claiming that Steam is a monopoly but they don't seem to understand that being a monopoly requires you to perform monopolistic practices. Those practices include paying companies to remove their products from competitors, giving away products for free so consumers don't buy them from competitors and offering steep discounts that competitors can't match because they can't afford to lose that much revenue. Basically, everything Epic is doing would be considered monopolistic if they were the market leader.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

120. Re: Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 11:37 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 08:52:
It's not that it doesn't align with my thinking. I don't use EGS. I enjoy that Steam is getting a kick in the butt to do more, though if this is what we have to blame the new UI on, ugh.

The notion that all of the changes to Steam in 2019 were a result of EGS is absurd. The UI overhaul had been in the works for years. Same goes for every other change. Steam is and has been constantly iterating and improving ever since it launched. Most changes are relatively small and nuanced, others are big and obvious. None have anything to do with EGS.

This is a decent update history of Steam, though it doesn't cover everything and hasn't been updated in a couple of years. The Steam blog is really the best way to learn about updates.

111. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 04:04 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 03:35:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 00:31:
EDIT: Huh, the numbers are actually way worse than I initially thought. I was thinking that the $251 million figure was Epic's cut but that was actually the entirety of the third-party game revenue. 12% of $251 million is only $30 million. They spent $23 million on discounts alone and the giveaways + exclusivity deals definitely cost more than $7 million so EGS was pure loss in 2019. There is zero chance of them doing that if they weren't aiming to be the market leader.

The math is a bit more complex than that, since those $10 coupons would have to factor into the split for each transaction they were a part of. The $251 million is what people actually paid for games, when the gross was +$10 as far as the third party is concerned on each of those 2.3 million purchases. It's impossible to figure out the specifics with so many unknown variables, but you're right, they definitely took a bath.

I don't think it's that complicated. Epic covered those $10 coupons themselves. If a game was sold, the dev/pub received their 88% cut of the listed price. Epic's cut was subtracted from the $10 they had to cover for the coupon. So if a customer bought a $30 game and used a coupon, the dev/pub earned $26.40 and Epic lost $6.40. Basically, they only lost money during these sales.

I'm really curious what Epic's long-term plan is. They're obviously focused on increasing their install base right now but at some point, they're going to need to focus on retaining those users and giving them a reason to use EGS over its competitors. Given the fact that EGS has cost them at least $50 million (I'm being very conservative here) so far, their current strategy isn't sustainable by any means. At some point, EGS is going to need to generate a profit and to do that, it will need to actually be a competitive service. Epic has stated that it has no interest in competing with Steam's feature set, sales or selection so... what exactly will EGS offer?

Giveaways are nice but they've shown to be ineffective at retaining users. People aren't invested in games they've gotten for free. The majority of users don't even play the games they've claimed. They log in, claim the game, then log out. Increasing the size of the user's library doesn't matter if the user doesn't care about the games inside it. Epic seems to have the misguided notion that people are only loyal to Steam because of the size of their libraries.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2020, 04:16.

107. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 00:31 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 22:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 20:45:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 20:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:59:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:25:
Epic is never going to defeat the established platforms.
That was never their plan.
All they want is a tiny piece of the pie and by the looks of it they’ve been very successful.

If that was the case, Epic could have jumped into selling PC games any time after Steam reached its dominant position in the late 2000s. Before Epic had Fortnite, they were bringing in over a billion from Unreal engine fees, not to mention whatever they made from game sales. But that's not what Tim Sweeney wants. He wouldn't try and disrupt Steam's position for a measly 2nd place. No, they're going for broke to try and overtake Valve.
Do you work for them? How would you know this?

As with all of this, he's talking out of his inexperienced ass because it makes him feel more right in his hatred. He says I'm projecting, but I've never seen a man so blinded by emotion.

He's walking confirmation bias.

His points seem pretty reasonable to me. Epic has spent millions trying to increase their market share. They've given away 73 games and will continue to do so through 2020. They've spent millions on timed exclusives (or "co-exclusives" that only exclude Steam) and will continue to do so through 2020. They paid for $23 million worth of discounts. Remember the last sale that offered $10 off any purchase $15 or more? When you factor in the 12% cut (8% for games that use UE), they actually lost money on every sale. This will likely continue through 2020.

Given those facts, I would be very surprised if EGS made any profits from third-party games last year. If they were content with just a tiny piece of the market, they wouldn't be taking these losses. See Origin, Uplay, GOG, etc. Those are platforms that are okay with having a smaller market share. Epic obviously isn't.

EDIT: Huh, the numbers are actually way worse than I initially thought. I was thinking that the $251 million figure was Epic's cut but that was actually the entirety of the third-party game revenue. 12% of $251 million is only $30 million. They spent $23 million on discounts alone and the giveaways + exclusivity deals definitely cost more than $7 million so EGS was pure loss in 2019. There is zero chance of them doing that if they weren't aiming to be the market leader.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2020, 01:21.

23. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 12:41 Jerykk

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:33:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:25:
Giving away free stuff to hook people isn't competition...
It’s no different than when Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle or other stores give away games.

Wrong. When a game is given away on Steam, it's at the discretion of the developer or publisher. Valve doesn't pay them anything. Conversely, when a game is given away on EGS, it's because Epic paid the dev/pub to do so. Epic loses a lot of money on these giveaways.

18. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 12:30 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:05:
Valve makes around ~3.5 billion per year. From Borderlands 3 and Detroit Become Human to Metro Exodus and more, Epic's store has or had a lot of in-demand third-party exclusives last year, almost guaranteeing they would see at least a billion in revenue. Half a billion is laughable for the effort they put forth. If Epic were a publicly-traded company, their stock would be in a free-fall with this announcement. Also, posting total customer accounts is a joke. Steam has over a BILLION. I know many of you want to move on and sing kumbaya, but it isn't going to happen as long as Epic continues to engage in anti-consumer and anti-developer (remember the Darq developer being denied simship because his game isn't as big like Cyberpunk 2077 or Jedi Fallen Order) antics.

It's also worth noting that Epic's announcement doesn't mention actual profits. It does, however, mention the costs of their various attempts to increase their market share. Over $23 million lost on the $10 coupons and Epic-funded discounts. Over 200 million claimed giveaways. Who knows how much they've spent on the timed exclusivity deals. When you take all that into account, I'd be surprised if they made any actual profits from third-party games. Any profitability for the store would have come from Fortnite which is carrying it right now.

News Comments > Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free

53. Re: Get Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders II Deathinitive, and Steep for Free Jan 5, 2020, 21:47 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2020, 18:56:
I'll address the rest, but most of your competitors aren't true competitors. Most offer a very limited selection, rather than being everything stores. Most have smaller ambitions. Even with them, Steam has what, 85% of the market, if not more?

If you're selling the same product as another storefront, that makes you a competitor. If you pull your product from Steam because you want people to buy it from your storefront instead, that makes you a competitor. Steam is the market leader because it provides the most value to customers, developers and publishers alike. However, all the other platforms that offer game downloads are still competitors. They just aren't very good ones (except for GOG whose biggest weakness is the lack of AAA support).

For some reason, EGS defenders/Steam critics (the two are basically interchangeable) think that competition can only exist when all the parties involved have equal leverage. That isn't true. Nvidia and Intel have much stronger market positions than AMD but nobody is going to argue that AMD isn't their competition.

Just like the other platforms I mentioned, EGS is a competitor. Also like those platforms, it isn't a strong competitor. Everything Epic is doing right now (giveaways, timed exclusives, $10 coupons) isn't sustainable and doesn't give customers any long-term reasons to choose EGS over Steam. Once Epic decides that EGS actually needs to be profitable, they'll have to change their strategy. Unfortunately, I don't think they have any long-term strategy. If you want to surpass Steam, you need to offer better prices, better selection and better features for customers and developers. Epic doesn't seem interested in doing any of that.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2020, 21:57.

15183 Comments. 760 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >