Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15153 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > G2A vs. Unknown Worlds Follow-up
7. Re: G2A vs. Unknown Worlds Follow-up Aug 15, 2019, 00:35 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 21:01:
So now it's a different story and he has yet to offer up any evidence at all that any keys being sold now are fraudulent. Dumb move.

Fraudulent sales have always been a scapegoat. The truth is that publishers and developers just want a closed garden. They want absolute control over pricing and unauthorized reselling undermines that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Trailer
12. Re: The Outer Worlds Trailer Aug 4, 2019, 05:17 Jerykk

necrosis wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 00:27:
Anyone else weirded out by the 'look streight at the person you are talking to who is centered perfectly on the screen always at the same zoom level'?

It is one of the many aspects that screams indie dev... but it is not.

No? This is how it worked in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout 4 actually added more cinematic camera angles but... well, we know how that turned out.

This camera angle seems pretty reasonable for a first-person conversation.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2019, 02:59 Jerykk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 28, 2019, 14:26:

Maybe Bethesda should take the hint and stop spewing money on MMOs and stick the the SPRPGs that people like to buy from them.

1) ESO is pretty profitable for Bethesda.
2) ESO is the only MMO that Bethesda has (FO76 isn't an MMO).
3) BGS is still developing single-player RPGs (or rather, open-world action exploration games with RPG elements). Starfield will likely be released towards the end of 2020 and ES6 has already been announced.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2019, 02:51 Jerykk

Flo wrote on Jul 29, 2019, 01:59:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 28, 2019, 23:00:
Who are the suckers buying Youngblood? That game is abysmal! Who allowed those shit devs to release a game like that and call it Wolfenstein? What a disgrace and an insult to pc gamers.
Ah no, it's actually pretty decent, Arkane's handwriting is all over it. You probably don't like it because it's optimized for 2-player-coop...

Youngblood is good. It's an interesting mix of Dishonored level design and Wolfenstein combat & stealth. I enjoyed both of series so Youngblood is right up my alley. The only thing I don't like is how they nerfed some things. For example, you can no longer dual wield every weapon. Now it's limited to one-handed guns. They also removed the secondary firing modes which were some of the best parts of the previous games. They also added an accuracy system where your stance and movement affect your accuracy, whereas in the previous games, there were no penalties whatsoever and ADS was completely redundant.

I'm not sure why those things were changed. Maybe the devs thought they were too overpowered for a co-op game with character progression? Or maybe they wanted to make the gameplay more familiar to CoD players?

Oh, and the game is perfectly fun solo. Your AI buddy does a decent job of distracting enemies and supplementing your DPS. She rarely gets in your way and is always quick to arrive when you need her help opening heavy doors and such.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive
28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive Jul 25, 2019, 23:42 Jerykk

Shock wrote on Jul 25, 2019, 17:13:
Epic's money is probably the difference between a terrible September release and possibly a more complete release in December

Yes, I'm sure a terrible game can be turned into a great one within 3 months.

What's more likely is that the game was going to be delayed regardless of Epic's bribes and that Piranha made the exclusivity deal simply because they knew the game isn't going to sell very well. Getting paid without needing to sell any copies is a great deal.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation
32. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 22:43 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 22:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 17:36:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 15:58:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 15:30:
Just going to swoop in and LEAVE THIS HERE

Yeah but nobody actually likes or uses those features and if you think you do it's only because you're brainwashed.
All you really need is the ability to buy a game geez.
But teh steamz has 85% more things no one ever uses. gosh

I must be in a major minority because my friends and I use them all the time. We're totally weird like that.

Sorry but your opinion doesn't really matter. If I personally don't use most of Steam's features then they are clearly worthless and serve no purpose. If Valve just removed those features and 90% of the games on Steam, they could easily reduce their insane and totally non-standard 30% cut and prevent developers from accepting millions of dollars in bribes for EGS timed exclusivity.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation
20. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 20:55 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 17:27:
Well, what is Steam doing to improve things, exactly? A few minor UI overhauls? It seems like Steam is just content to wait out the Fortnite money train, but so far that train is hauling in billions of dollars with no end in sight. It seems strange to just sit by and just not do anything when another player comes and starts taking away your market share.

Maybe nobody at Valve can be bothered to roll their desk over to the "Let's come with a plan of action against EGS" corner.

Valve is constantly improving Steam for both devs and customers. Case in point: the new Steam Labs experiment. Basically exposing R&D for discoverability tools to the public and using their feedback to guide development. In the long run, this will help devs expose their games to more customers and it will make it easier for customers to find games they want to play.

Valve has done more to improve discoverability than any other platform. Constant improvement of Steam is their plan of action against EGS. Really, that's the only thing they can do other than pay for exclusives or punish devs/pubs that agree to EGS exclusivity.

Simon Says wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 18:20:
Yeah noticing a trend lately about EGS posts... On one side you have drivel like this from the pro exclusives / pro anti-competitive group, on the other you have principled arguments from the pro competition group.

It's because the EGS defenders know they don't really have a valid position so they resort to reductive arguments made in bad faith.

For example, mocking people for criticizing the lack of a shopping cart when that's just one of many, many features that EGS lacks.

9. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 17:22 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 14:44:
El Pit wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 14:38:
They had to because the Epic has a much better technical... uh... Damn, they simply pay us more money!

Well, that's a very valid reason to go exclusive. I can't really blame publishers for taking Epic's money.

What surprises me is that Valve has done exactly nothing about this for going on six months now. I guess they make enough money off PUBG and GTA5 to not care that a large chunk of big name games this year are off their service for X amount of time?

Do you really want Valve and Epic to get into a console-style bidding war for timed exclusives? I don't. I'd rather games be available on all platforms at launch, whether that be Steam, GOG or even EGS. Epic is setting a bad precedent in the PC space and I definitely don't want Valve to reinforce it.

IMO, Valve is taking the right approach. Don't stoop to Epic's level. Instead, focus on improving Steam for both customers and developers. In the long-term, good service will retain customers far better than timed exclusives.

News Comments > Everreach: Project Eden Announced
4. Re: Everreach: Project Eden Announced Jul 16, 2019, 02:03 Jerykk

Graphics look nice but gameplay looks pretty bland.  

News Comments > Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund
28. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 15, 2019, 23:21 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 16:08:
Teh SQL iz Hardz:

Select * from KeyTable KT
inner join GameTable GT
where KT.KeyNum in (key0001, key0002, key0003) AND
GT.GameName = "Factorio"

My SQL is super rusty, so I probably have some syntax wrong, but it's something as simple as that.

You're assuming they actually have a table of all of the keys they've sold. Records might be decentralized and tied to individual accounts. Records might be purged after 6-12 months. If the game was sold as Steam gift, I don't think there's any way they can actually identify its key. There are a lot of variables that complicate the process beyond the actual comparison code.

27. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 15, 2019, 23:11 Jerykk

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 06:11:
Some people breaking the law does not make it ok for others to also break the law.

It's not "some people." It's like 95% of the sellers using eBay. If all these sellers were actually breaking the law, you'd think that a high-profile site like eBay would be held accountable for facilitating them, right? Unless it's not illegal and there's nothing to be held accountable for.

Tax laws surrounding reselling and digital goods have always been nebulous. I've never been charged tax for any of the thousands of games I've purchased online, even from authorized resellers like Steam, GOG, Origin and Uplay. With current tax laws, it is completely legal to buy keys and resell them without charging tax.

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 16:14:
Buy one DVD in China and ship it to the US: No Problem.

Buy 1000 DVDs and ship them to the US, Customs is going to have words.

I guess it's a good thing PC game keys don't go through customs.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
44. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 23:04 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 08:56:
Shopping carts are a weird dealbreaker to me. Multiple checkouts aren't really a big issue.

No cloud saves is an enormous issue. No download size previews is an enormous issue.

The lack of a shopping cart isn't an enormous issue but it is an annoyance when you're trying to buy multiple games (as you often would during a big sale). A storefront should aspire to be as friction-less as possible.

20. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 15, 2019, 02:55 Jerykk

Red886 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 00:41:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:38:
roguebanshee wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:27:
Resale for commercial purposes does require Sales Tax/VAT being applied to the new sales, thinking that any tax collection agency would see purchasing 40+ anything to resell at a later date as a non-commercial use is quite frankly naive.

Selling any amount of anything is a commercial use. That doesn't make it taxable. Go on eBay and you'll see plenty of people selling large quantities of items without charging tax. G2A is essentially the eBay for PC games.

dude, you do know that these resellers don't even 'exist'.

if these resellers actually do 'exist' , then they need to get a proper business license (of whichever form that is relevant).

Again, a quick glance at eBay shows that resellers very much do exist regardless of whether they have a proper business license. I don't see the government shutting them down so apparently they're allowed to resell hundreds and thousands of items without charging tax.

32. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 21:46 Jerykk

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:03:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 20:23:
Some people are nutjobs if they think valve has 6mos to live though.
Sooner if the shopping cart gets finished early. Wink
You may want to bone up on hyperbole, jokes, satire and Poe's Law.

You may want to bone up on people's actual criticisms of EGS. Nobody expected EGS to launch with full feature parity to Steam. However, they did expect it to launch with basic features that are standard to all platforms in 2019. Things like cloud saves, achievements, download size previews and yes, shopping carts.

Satire doesn't really work when you don't understand what you're mocking.

18. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 14, 2019, 21:38 Jerykk

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:27:
Resale for commercial purposes does require Sales Tax/VAT being applied to the new sales, thinking that any tax collection agency would see purchasing 40+ anything to resell at a later date as a non-commercial use is quite frankly naive.

Selling any amount of anything is a commercial use. That doesn't make it taxable. Go on eBay and you'll see plenty of people selling large quantities of items without charging tax. G2A is essentially the eBay for PC games.

27. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 20:16 Jerykk

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:40:
New store does not have same features as 20 year old any store.

Fixed.

16. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 14, 2019, 15:46 Jerykk

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 07:05:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 03:55:
"Wire fraud?" What are you talking about? They buy the games in bulk from regions where they are significantly cheaper, then resell them globally at a higher price (but still cheaper than MSRP). Again, there's absolutely nothing illegal about that.
It technically circumvents regional taxation (sales tax/VAT), which is fraud. The keys being sold are registered as being sold by the developer in a different country than where they're resold for profit. And the resale for profit via G2A almost certainly does not include any taxes.

1) Don't distribute keys to anyone except verified reviewers or influencers.
This takes a lot more work than most indie studios have budget for, especially since "verified reviewers or influencers" tend to have a lot of things going on already, which takes away time for them to check out a game they may not have heard about. So unless you have enough money to get a sponsored video up, larger influencers and big review sites are a crapshoot at best.

This means that the developer would then have to spend a lot of time researching smaller influencers (which means a smaller potential audience) instead of eg. fixing bugs or polishing the game. Outside the most successful Indie studios, Indies don't have enough income to keep a non-developer/artist on staff for tasks like this.

2) Region-lock your games.
Region locking games means that legitimate users can't gift to actual friends in a different and/or more expensive region (depending on the type of region lock used). It's something people have complained about many times, even on this forum.

If the keys were legally purchased, then all relevant taxes were paid at the time of purchase in the region they were purchased from. As for resales, they typically don't involve taxes for most products. If I buy a DVD from Walmart and resell it, I don't have to charge tax because I already paid the tax when I bought it. This is not unique to G2A.

If you don't have time to verify all of the people you're giving keys to, then limit your keys to people you trust. Sorry if I can't feel sympathetic to indie devs who hand out keys nilly willy, then get mad when some of those keys are resold.

If you want to restrict cross-region reselling then you have to use region-locking. It's that simple. Yes, that hurts customers but restricting reselling hurts customers anyway. You're trying to control pricing so you can force customers to pay more.

8. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 15:29 Jerykk

"Ubisoft Titles Require Large Installs"

What does that even mean? Does EGS not support large installs or something?

Also, it would be nice if they showed you the disk space requirements before you started downloading.

What's especially humorous is that all of the "Near Term" goals are actually targeting this month which is almost half over already.

13. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 14, 2019, 03:55 Jerykk

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 21:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 20:23:
Sorry but cross-region reselling isn't illegal regardless of quantity. Publishers and devs don't like it but that doesn't make it fraud.

As for the delay in G2A's response, it takes time to check 300+ keys against the sales history on the site, especially if they don't have any tools specifically designed to do that. If they don't have any tools for that, they should definitely buy/make some.

If my memory serves, it would more than likely be classed as wire fraud...so yes, illegal.

You're going to tell me that G2A doesn't have the ability to search a table for a specific string within a reasonable amount of time? I mean, there are refrigerators out there that can take a picture and catalog their contents within 5 minutes...how hard can it be to peruse a table of keys looking for a specific string of alphanumerics?

I'm sorry, your constant defense of this obviously shady company is really starting to become tiresome...your whole argument relies on the basis that the reason the Devs are upset is because they don't want anyone to be able to resell their keys, which is a strawman at best and completely asinine at worst. How many articles do you need where Devs have flat out stated that their sole issue with G2A is G2A's inabillity and inaction in regards to protecting the developers from fraudulent sales on their site?

There have been 2 articles over the last couple years in regards to how G2A have seriously hurt indie devs and how G2A shows absolutely no compassion in regards to fixing simple issues outside of going "we're going to work harder" or "if Devs give us legitimacy we'll work with them more!"

"Wire fraud?" What are you talking about? They buy the games in bulk from regions where they are significantly cheaper, then resell them globally at a higher price (but still cheaper than MSRP). Again, there's absolutely nothing illegal about that.

You're being intentionally dense. Yes, devs have complained about keys being obtained with stolen credit cards and then resold. They've also complained about cross-region reselling, bundle reselling and giveaway reselling. The fact that Wube refers to cross-region reselling as "regional fraud" despite its objective legality pretty much says it all. Publishers and developers don't want any unauthorized reselling regardless of legality. They want absolute control over pricing and unauthorized reselling undermines that. However, the notion that resales require authorization in the first place is patently absurd regardless of what pubs and devs want. If I legally obtain a key, I'm allowed to sell it at whatever price I want.

If you're an indie dev and you want absolute control over pricing, you should do the following:
1) Don't distribute keys to anyone except verified reviewers or influencers.
2) Region-lock your games.

7. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 13, 2019, 20:23 Jerykk

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 17:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 14:40:
Regional fraud? So I can buy anything else for a cheaper price in another country and that's fine, but the moment I buy a game I'm committing fraud? Go fuck yourselves.

Looking a bit too deeply into this I'd say...what you're describing is neither fraud, nor illegal...what Wube Software is stating is, however. As people are purchasing large quantities of product in a region with a lower price with the sole intent on reselling it for a profit in other regions, which is more than likely illegal and considered fraud.

Sorry but cross-region reselling isn't illegal regardless of quantity. Publishers and devs don't like it but that doesn't make it fraud.

As for the delay in G2A's response, it takes time to check 300+ keys against the sales history on the site, especially if they don't have any tools specifically designed to do that. If they don't have any tools for that, they should definitely buy/make some.

15153 Comments. 758 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo