Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 15026 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Beta
7. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Beta Feb 23, 2018, 22:29 Jerykk

OpticNerve wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 18:53:
Dunno what's going on with GMG's pricing, but they do have a voucher in the VIP section of GMG (you just need an account to access it) and overall I ended up paying around $21 for Vermintide 2 compared to Steam's current pricing of $26.99.

GMG (and other sites) usually have better deals than Steam. I rarely buy games directly from Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
48. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 03:27 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 00:54:
Prez wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 07:00:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 05:17:
Prez wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 00:42:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 21:34:
Unity is the McDonald's of game engines. And just like McDonalds, the products produced in that engine are mostly garbage. It also gives unfocused dingalings the ability to quickly produce a dazzling demo and then beg for money. Kind of like the fancy signs homeless people create asking for money.

Clearly you have not seen the pre-alpha build they gave to Jim Sterling to run through some time back. It looked fucking fantastic and was more than just a slapped -together demo. Unity is a fine engine for developers with actual talent and skill. It's not Unit's fault that so many talentless hacks pretending to be ddevelopers use it to throw no effort garbage on Steam to make a quick buck.

That's the point. They are talent-less hacks pretending to be developers. Otherwise they wouldn't have, in their own words, lost their "focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game."

I think you're mistaking a lack of discipline, maturity, and business sense with a lack of talent.

They are one and the same. All the talent in the world is meaningless if the person doesn't know how to make a profitable business out of their talent. That's besides the fact that people gave them money for a promise that they broke. That's the purest example of no talent.

You're making generalizations. A game studio is comprised of many developers, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with marketing, PR or business decisions. Gameplay programmers, engine programmers, gameplay designers, level designers, riggers, concept artists, environmental artists, character artists, VFX artists, animators, sound designers, etc. It's not their job to manage the budget or scope of the project.

45. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 00:04 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 21:52:
Pretty much done backing games on Kickstarter. Not that I have backed very many, but every single one has been mismanaged or turned into something that wasn't what I originally backed.

I've had the opposite experience. The majority of my backed projects have turned out successfully. Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2, Broken Age, Consortium, Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Overfall, Banner Saga, Sheltered, Hard West, Diluvion, Dex, A Hat in Time, Unrest, Road Redemption, Torment, Dreamfall Chapters, Dead State, Carmageddon: Reincarnation, etc.

Not all projects ended up being as good as I'd hoped but that's true of all games regardless of funding model. Overall, I've been happy with crowdfunded output and have no issues continuing to support it.

How to have good results with crowdfunding:
- Don't back projects by people that have never shipped a game before (or haven't shipped one in over a decade).
- Understand how much games actually cost to develop (hint: they're really, really expensive).
- If you back something because of nostalgia, recognize that what you loved so long ago may not quite hold up anymore.
- Don't pledge more than $30. Those higher tier rewards might look enticing but if the project fails, you won't get anything at all. The riskier the project, the less you should pledge.
- Realize that the release date estimates are almost guaranteed to be wrong and development will take an additional 1-3 years.
- Don't get too attached to specific features or content described in the initial pitch. Game development is an iterative process and features/content will inevitably be changed or cut.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2018, 00:14.

42. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 16:57 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 08:21:
With the System Shock remake they surpassed their target and then decided to change from a remaster to a a new game, then shackled themselves to a publisher because they didn't have enough funds for that. That's pretty sleazy.

People (developers included) really need to stop referring to this as a remaster. This was never a remaster. A remaster is when you update existing code and assets. There's already a System Shock remaster on Steam. No, this was always going to be a remake. All code and assets were going to be created from scratch, with inspiration being the only link to the original game.

Remaster: Update existing code and assets.
Remake: Create new code and assets that are heavily inspired by the original game's.
Reboot: Create new code and assets that are loosely inspired by the original IP.

This was a remake that turned into a reboot. It was never a remaster.

25. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 02:35 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 00:29:
What I mean is Unity makes it real easy to make a prototype and create a Kickstarter page. Declaring the game engine should be a standard requirement on any EA, Fig, Kickstarter, and other crowdfunded page. It's a warning to a potential backers.

I don't really see how creating a demo in Unity should serve as a warning sign. Plenty of good games are built on Unity. In addition, they did declare that they were using Unity on the Kickstarter page and when they switched to Unreal, they announced that too.

No, the real warning signs were the fact that Nightdive has never made a game from scratch (they've only done ports/remasters) and $900k is far too conservative for an FPS with high production values. They seriously underestimated how much it would cost to develop this and that was before they even decided to go for a full reboot. That's why I didn't back it.

19. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 16, 2018, 23:00 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 21:34:
Unity is the McDonald's of game engines. And just like McDonalds, the products produced in that engine are mostly garbage. It also gives unfocused dingalings the ability to quickly produce a dazzling demo and then beg for money. Kind of like the fancy signs homeless people create asking for money.

Unity is a good engine. However, like with any engine, you still need to use good coding practices and know how to optimize. A lot of amateur developers use Unity because it's cheap and accessible but their output is in no way representative of the engine's capabilities.

In any case, this is clearly an example of Nightdive not scoping properly. This is their first original game so it makes sense that they'd underestimate how much time and money were required. Even if they had stuck to the original vision of the game, they very likely would still be in the same situation today.

Qbex . wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 20:36:
All we wanted is a update akin to Homeworld but no, gotta reinvent the wheel and shoot for the stars on shoestring budget Angry

Not quite. Homeworld was just a slightly updated version of the original. System Shock was always going to be a full remake because they couldn't just update the old assets. They had to create everything from scratch. As such, calling it a remaster was a poor decision. It severely undersold the amount of work involved.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
13. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 14, 2018, 23:29 Jerykk

Task wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 12:05:
Wasn't it THQ that went bankrupt back in the day? Apparently CD Projekt dodged a bullet and made the right call back then by not signing a contract with them for Witcher 2.

(found the article regarding the above)

This isn't THQ, it's Nordic. Nordic bought the THQ name and a bunch of its IPs. It seems like they're trying to expand and become a AAA publisher, though they're still a ways off from achieving that. I think Darksiders 3 is going to be their first attempt at releasing a AAA game. We'll see how that turns out.

News Comments > The Evil Within 2 Adds First-Person Mode
2. Re: The Evil Within 2 Adds First-Person Mode Feb 14, 2018, 22:53 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 20:44:
What the...? I thought this was already in the game, although maybe that was a mod.. I swear First Person was in months ago. Oh well, I must be getting old(er). :o

It was a mod. Pretty cool that they made it official, though. Hopefully that'll make more people try the game.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month
3. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month Feb 12, 2018, 23:41 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 20:20:
so, it's Portal without the portal gun?

It's a first-person puzzle platformer. The genre isn't limited to Portal. The first QUBE was actually pretty good. I'm looking forward to this one.

News Comments > Steam top 10
12. Re: Steam top 10 Feb 11, 2018, 23:52 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 19:40:
Yeah, they've got a lot to live up to with Kingdom Come, we've been hearing about it and seeing teasers for so damned long... They made their big gameplay reveal around the time Xbone and PS4 came out, so it was like the poster child for next-gen games, but then it was delayed by several years after they first promised 2015. Now they can't rely on graphics alone to wow people, so they'd better have everything else polished up real nice.

Anybody who thought it would actually be done in 2015 was seriously naive. To be honest, I'm surprised it was even finished at all. $400k is nowhere near enough to fully develop a 3D, open-world RPG. Granted, they claimed that the Kickstarter funding would be used to develop a prototype and convince investors to provide actual funding, but that's always a dubious proposition. Kudos to them for actually following through.

News Comments > Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content
2. Re: Re: Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content Feb 5, 2018, 23:29 Jerykk

It's great that they've continued supporting the game so long after launch. That's a pretty rare thing for AAA single-player games. That said, it's probably time to announce a sequel.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10 9
13. Re: Steam Top <strike>10</strike> 9 Feb 4, 2018, 23:18 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 13:27:
Happy to see Subnautica doing so well, especially with how long it was in Early Access.

Yes. Sadly, the rest of the list is fucking pathetic. Hard to get excited.

Why is it pathetic? There's a good variety of games on there and a lot of new ones.

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
25. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 29, 2018, 23:06 Jerykk

I don't see any of these being plausible except for BlueHole. Valve is huge and they make a ton of money from Steam. They basically own PC as a gaming platform and have no reason to sell. EA is also huge and makes a lot of money from supporting multiple platforms, the biggest of which is likely PS4. Selling to MS doesn't really make sense for them either.  

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
29. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:30 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:16:
If a streamer isnít making money off of their broadcast, itíd be a different story. But the bigger streamers make ridiculous money. If half of what they made for a particular video went to the developers, well, thatíd probably solve any worries development houses have. Havenít heard of any streamers sending money to the companies whose games they play, though.

You're forgetting that streamers basically provide free advertising. Publishers and developers will give streamers free copies of their games in order to take advantage of that. Some publishers and developers will even pay streamers to play their games.

If someone is willing to watch an entire single-player, story-driven game playthrough on Twitch or Youtube, they probably weren't going to spend $60 on it anyway. In other cases, the viewer might watch a few hours of it and then decide "Hey, this game actually looks pretty cool. I think I'll pick it up!"

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Origins Game+ Mode Coming
4. Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins Game+ Mode Coming Jan 29, 2018, 12:25 Jerykk

I don't really see the point of this. You can easily max out all of your upgrades and abilities within a single playthrough. You can also complete all of the content. This isn't an RPG so a second playthrough would be exactly the same as the first.  

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
27. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 25, 2018, 23:07 Jerykk

Orogogus wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 18:04:
The PC gets a lot of indie games, but all the big budget games still end up on one or both of the consoles.

All the big-budget games come to PC as well (except for the first-party exclusives). Given the rising costs of AAA development, not releasing on PC is just throwing away money.

Also, the rising profits of PC gaming are due primarily to incredibly popular F2P games like Lol and DotA2 more than anything else. PUBG is popular, but it's a one-time purchase whereas F2P can monetize for years.

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 17:22:
Both online as in my real life surroundings, I hear of console players buying PCs or saving money for one as they desperately want to become part of this fabled (thank you Zero Punctuation) PC Master Race.

That's not really true at all. The vast majority of console gamers have no interest in PC gaming. They simply don't see PC as a gaming platform even if it's objectively superior. PC gaming revenues are growing but that's not because console players are abandoning consoles.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin Jan 25, 2018, 22:58 Jerykk

Looking forward to this. The setting of the first game was a bit pedestrian. This one looks a lot more interesting.  

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
8. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 24, 2018, 23:03 Jerykk

Zanderat1 wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 22:30:
I actually liked DA2. It had it's flaws, but was fun to play. OTOH, I found DAI boring and quit about a third of the way in.

The combat encounters were horribly designed. They would just keep spawning wave after wave of enemies, making it impossible to actually plan ahead. This was infuriating on Nightmare difficulty where enemies actually posed a threat but the encounters were clearly designed for the lower difficulties where enemies were just cannon fodder.

In any case, I sincerely hope they abandon the open-world nonsense of DA:I. Bioware isn't good at it. Just make a regular, 40-60 hour RPG with no filler, please.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Beta This Week
12. Re: Sea of Thieves Beta This Week Jan 23, 2018, 05:07 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 15:51:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 15:31:
It's Win10 because it's crossplay compatible with Xbone games. Every game done that way is Windows Store Only. I'm not a fan of the Windows Store, but it DOES mean I can play Forza Horizon 3 on my PC. You have to consider it that way, instead of "do it my way or not at all". Because then you wouldn't even have the option. These games would be Xbone-only, MS has exclusivity rights.

I'd prefer to have all my games in one store, but that just isn't possible right now.

I don't care if the game is XBox only. I don't care if there's no Windows version of a good game. There's tons of other good games to play and I'll play those instead. I'm happy to vote with my money and tell Microsoft that I don't want their BS.

Voting with your wallet is fine but that doesn't mean that MS games shouldn't be on PC. Yes, the Windows Store sucks but I'd rather have options than no options.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 System Specs
11. Re: Far Cry 5 System Specs Jan 23, 2018, 01:17 Jerykk

1badmf wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 01:04:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 20:36:
Yep, RAM prices, HDD prices, GPU prices, Meltdown & Spectre... Worst time ever to buy a PC. I need a new one soon too. I guess I will have to wait 1 or 2 years longer, even if the prices drop to normal levels again, because Meltdown & Spectre will probably only be fixed in 1 to 3 years.

always upgrade during black friday. i got a 1600x for $180; even with proposed amd price cuts they'll be above $200. also got a vega64 liquid for $699. i just looked at video card prices and i could sell it used right now for nearly double that.

Prices were crappy during Black Friday too. AMD hardware is always cheaper.

15026 Comments. 752 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo