Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14926 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2017, 21:18 Jerykk

I think the biggest issue with bundles is that they seriously devalue indie games. Unless I absolutely have to play an indie game immediately, I'll just wait until it's included in a bundle. No point in buying it individually, even if it's on sale.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LawBreakers Roadmap
17. Re: LawBreakers Roadmap Sep 7, 2017, 21:15 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 13:12:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 10:19:
The low player numbers are unfortunate but the market is simply saturated with shooters. I'm definitely having more fun with Lawbreakers than Quake Champions tho.

Oh man, I played the quake beta for about 5 minutes before uninstalling. I bet it will sell millions of copies.

Gamers are just dumb as fuck these days, don't know what to tell you all. You could get the same experience with QuakeLive, infact a better one without dumb hero classes as a "me too!" cash grab.

Or you could try Lawbreakers, the game that costs half the price, and easily quad-times the fun It really is a "true" spiritual successor to quake/unreal.

You probably shouldn't have announced that you only played QC for five minutes. That makes any opinion expressed afterwards basically worthless. Ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to criticism.

Also, how is Lawbreakers half the price? They're both $30 on Steam, though QC will eventually be F2P and is already F2P if you use the Bethesda Launcher.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: LawBreakers fans on why you should play it, and what went wrong… Sep 2, 2017, 20:57 Jerykk

New IP + New Developer + Multiplayer-only + $30 = flop (except for PUBG, which is the exception to the rule). The MP market is highly saturated and most people only play one MP game at a time. Lawbreakers is competing against CS:GO, PUBG and Overwatch. The average consumer is not going to risk $30 on a MP-only game that might be dead within a week when they're already playing something they know they enjoy.  

News Comments > Road Rage Next Month
4. Re: Road Rage Next Month Sep 1, 2017, 12:26 Jerykk

Not a good sign when none of the "screenshots" show actual gameplay.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 31, 2017, 04:25 Jerykk

Releasing a $30 MP-only game in 2017 seems extremely risky. For one, the market is saturated and there's plenty of F2P competition. Secondly, people tend to only play one or two MP games on a regular basis because MP games require a large investment of time if you want to get good. If you're a shooter player on PC, you're probably only playing Overwatch, CS:GO or PUBG. Finally, MP games are inherently risky from a consumer standpoint because the experience is wholly dependent on other players. If nobody else is playing, you're screwed. If your teammates suck, you're screwed. If matchmaking is bad, you're screwed. One match might be great, the next match might be awful.

Honestly, SP games seem like a much safer investment. They are finite, self-contained experiences that generally don't require a large investment of time and offer a much more consistent and predictable level of enjoyment. There are also very few F2P SP games, so charging $30 is more widely accepted.

On a side note, Lawbreakers is not a a hero shooter. It's a class-based shooter. There's a difference. TF2 is a class-based shooter and Lawbreakers shares much more in common with TF2 than Overwatch. There are nine classes in Lawbreakers. You choose a class and the character you play is based on your faction. Functionally, both versions are exactly the same. It's like a red Pyro vs a blue Pyro.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
13. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 05:04 Jerykk

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 01:07:
I don't know, seems kind of weird they picked undead to be the last race. Certainly won't be in any party I play.

One thing I can agree on, the original ending was horrid. At least they fixed that in later releases.

Really? I'm actually pretty excited to play a skeleton. It's pretty rare for RPGs to let you do that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 28, 2017, 23:47 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 22:16:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 21:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 21:23:
Vs stringing your consumer base along for over a decade, suggesting that HL3 was still in the works but never once saying 'yay or nay'?

Least players are making a statement, but they would settle for an official statement.

Haha, sure, because gamers are such a pleasant and reasonable crowd.

To paraphrase someone in one of the HL3 threads last week, if you've somehow been strung along for over a decade without any official statement, grow up.

I don't even think they've strung anyone along.

Valve learned, more than any other company, communicating anything not 100% set in stone to your fans is a bad idea, because in this industry above all, people take everything very personally and feel a weird ownership over the games they've enjoyed.

This. Valve never released any screenshots, trailers or any media at all for HL3. I don't think they ever even officially announced it. I think they mentioned Ep3 at one point during some random interview but that's about it.

I get that people are upset that the series ended with a cliffhanger and was never properly resolved. At this point, Valve should just confirm that HL3 isn't in development. However, to give bad reviews to a completely unrelated game for the sole purpose of conveying your displeasure about the absence of a sequel that was never announced... that's just dumb. Reviews should be reviews, not political statements.

News Comments > EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda a "Great Game" Series May Continue
22. Re: Re: EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda Aug 27, 2017, 07:31 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 19:25:
loomy wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 11:46:
"figure out what that looks like" -- they gave their most classy and expensive franchise to a B-team. mass effect andromeda is a bad game, and EA management is responsible.

Having put in 65 hours and played to completion I can say for a certainty that it is not a bad game. However, it not a great game either. It has it's moments that are distinctly Mass Effect, but they are rare. The game is just mediocre and possibly BioWare's worst big budget title. The ME IP is definitely salvagable. It is akin to the two Batman films helmed by Joel Schumacher, and then the Dark Knight trilogy directed by Chris Nolan. it will shine in the hands an A-team. Andromedia's entry into the BioWare franchise will remain a blip on the radar and a cautionary tale for EA. I'm sure the next game will be much better and of the quality that we expect to see.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Most of ME:A's issues were also in DA:I, which was developed by the "A-team." It seems that Bioware's new M.O. is to make their games as large as possible, even if that means bloating them with half-assed filler content. Their next game (Anthem) is basically Destiny, so that's just continuing the trend.

The Bioware that made games like Baldur's Gate, DA:O and KotoR is probably gone for good.

News Comments > Tyranny Expansion Next Month
11. Re: Tyranny Expansion Next Month Aug 23, 2017, 23:51 Jerykk

I enjoyed Tyranny quite a bit. It's much more focused than PoE and has little to no filler. You also get to make a lot of interesting choices that have a significant impact on the world around you. The spellcrafting system was pretty cool too, though a bit unbalanced.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior (2013) Free; New Shadow Warrior 2 DLC
4. Re: Shadow Warrior (2013) Free; New Shadow Warrior 2 DLC Aug 23, 2017, 00:00 Jerykk

Ant wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 20:58:
The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 19:59:
First Brink, now Shadow Warrior.

I need to stop buying games if they're just gonna keep giving them away for free after a few years. I'd save a bundle.

Crap. I missed Brink. What's up with these free recent games?

Brink and Shadow Warrior aren't really recent. SW came out 4 years ago and Brink came out 6 years ago.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Black Forest Games
1. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Black Forest Games Aug 21, 2017, 23:17 Jerykk

I'd love to see a new Desperados/Helldorado game. Shadow Tactics showed that the genre still has legs.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
39. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 21, 2017, 00:54 Jerykk

Citizen P wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 00:28:
I liked DA: I. ME: A was steaming pile dumped on top of a great setting.

That's a strange opinion, considering the two games share most of the same flaws. Specifically, half-assed side-quests and barren environments that are pointlessly large and boring to explore. Seems bizarre that you could enjoy DA:I but hate ME:A.

34. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 21, 2017, 00:01 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 23:43:
WaltC wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 17:29:
Nobody, but nobody comes close to CDPR in game support--it's not even close, CDProjekt is so far ahead. As is well known, they support their games years into the future,

I think Blizzard surpasses them, just saying...

Yeah, the original Starcraft received a new patch this year, almost 20 years after the game's release.

26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 20, 2017, 20:18 Jerykk

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 15:08:
Did it ever really begin?

Actually, yes. ME:A had a lot of post-launch support that addressed many of the issues people had with the game.

It's a shame that EA is abandoning the game/series. For all its flaws, ME:A still had the best combat in the series. If they had cut the filler and focused on a much more concise 40 hour experience instead of a bloated 100+ hour experience, the game would have been better for it. You'd think they'd have learned from DA:I that bigger isn't always better but there was probably a mandate from EA to make their games as big as possible.

News Comments > Quake Champions Early Access Next Week
6. Re: Quake Champions Early Access Next Week Aug 18, 2017, 01:54 Jerykk

Quake Champions actually seems pretty good. I was hesitant about them adding passive and active abilities to each character but it works out pretty well. I've been watching a lot of matches on Youtube and it's fun to see the nuances of each character.  

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
22. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 17, 2017, 00:41 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:14:
swaaye wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:03:
They named it Prey in hopes of selling more copies. You know, mitigate risks a bit by using an established name and the brand power that includes. Unfortunately, it still didn't sell very well from what I've read. Neither did Dishonored 2. Or Deus Ex MD. It's not good for anyone that this game formula doesn't sell well to the masses.

Dishonored 2 is objectively a worse game than Dishonored 1 though (I own and played both), same for Deus EX Mankind Divided, which was objectively a worse game than Deus EX Human Revolution (I own and played both) (And yes, I would say worse already starts when these sequels feel so identical and sometimes even cut-down to their originals that it all just blends together) but for both games it's also because the writing quality took a nose-dive

They're not objectively worse at all. Dishonored 2 and DX:MD both expanded and improved upon their predecessors in numerous ways. Stealth was better, combat better and level design was at least on par. Writing was inferior, true, but that's just one part of the game. Taken as a whole, both games were improvements.

The truth is that immersive sims were never big sellers. DX:HR and Dishonored sold because they were fresh and unique. They are no longer either of those things so they lost that key selling point. Same thing happened with Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 23:32 Jerykk

You could just play the game and not buy any of the loot crates. Crazy, I know. As with any other AAA game with microtransactions, they will be completely optional and redundant, designed specifically for those who are stupid and impatient. Square has been doing this for years, selling DLC that simply unlocks things early that you'd otherwise unlock anyway by just playing the game naturally.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider Trailer
3. Re: Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider Trailer Aug 11, 2017, 04:26 Jerykk

Hopefully this meets the quality bar set by the Dishonored 1 DLC. I have faith in Arkane so I'm pretty sure it will.  

News Comments > Overwatch Getting Deathmatch
9. Re: Overwatch Getting Deathmatch Aug 11, 2017, 04:25 Jerykk

TDM makes sense since the characters were designed to fill specific roles within teams. FFA? Not so much.  

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 04:47 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:17:
@Rilcon: I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies.

The problem we're complaining about here is that now full price games are adopting the monetization techniques of free to play. We hate it when a game diverges from its primary purpose of providing entertainment to become a cash sucking machine. If done unobtrusively like BL2, you hardly notice. But if intrudes into the core gameplay, then it's a huge problem for a game that people paid full price for.

There's a big difference between adding microtransactions and adopting a mobile monetization scheme. F2P mobile games are gated so that you are forced to spend money if you want to progress or compete with other players. That's how games like Candy Crush or Clash of Clans make so much money. I seriously doubt that will be the case in Shadow of War. It's a mainstream AAA game so it's going to be easy by default and you will definitely be able to complete all of its content without grinding or paying for microtransactions.

Make no mistake, the primary purpose of professional game development isn't to provide entertainment. Like any other business, the goal is to make as much money as possible. The trick is doing so in a way that doesn't make customers feel like they're being exploited. Ideally, that means making a quality game that people enjoy and are therefore willing to pay for. However, it's possible to do that AND have completely optional microtransactions that don't have any significant impact on the overall experience. Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and DX:MD have all shown that this can be done.

14926 Comments. 747 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo