Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14805 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
19. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 3, 2016, 22:51 Jerykk

This is a first person shooter. Why is this idiot playing it with a controller?

Because it's easier to make slow and smooth camera motions with a controller and they want to show off the environment. It's almost like you've never seen official gameplay footage made within the past ten years.

The "turn into a cup" thing looks like a gimmick that will get old fast.

Not sure why you'd think that. Aside from the obvious and consistently useful stealth applications, being able to turn into various objects has a multitude of uses for both traversal and puzzle-solving. That's the exact opposite of a gimmick. Hell, you even praise one of these uses in your post.

Making stairs with that gun looked like fun, though I wonder how limited this will be in the final game. For some reason when I think about destruction and/or modification of the game world I always think back to the glass house in Red Faction 1. It's been over a decade since this game was released and no one has figured out how to do deformation of the landscape and levels well.

Full destruction would make for boring level design. Part of what makes levels interesting is figuring out how to get where you want to go. If you can simply destroy any obstacles in your way, there's no puzzle-solving. Red Faction's level design (and the game as a whole, really) was utterly forgettable for that very reason whereas games like Hitman, Thief, Half-Life and Dishonored are remembered for their level design. Limitations and obstacles force the player to think more creatively.

In conclusion, more thoughtful consideration and less reactionary criticism would be much appreciated in your future posts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Released
6. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Nov 29, 2016, 23:21 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 22:35:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:32:
Driving sucks. The cops are fucking insane, and even if you are in the same vehicle they are in they can auto catch up to you (including watching a police boat take off after a co-op partner at 120mph across the bay). They still haven't fixed the play with friends seamless'ness yet. When you open your phone you can loose all controls (mouse and keyboard) up to 10 seconds), few random crashes, WAY to fucking happy and cheerful and 'LIKE OMG LIKE WE ARE HACKERS!' bullshit. I miss the more darker tone with the first game.

I can't overstate that enough, WD_1 for PC is still impossible to play with KB+M.

I played through the entire game with MKB.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards
2. Re: Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards Nov 24, 2016, 00:17 Jerykk

Really wish they hadn't gotten rid of daily deals/flash sales/community choice sales. Without those extra discounts, the Steam sales are pretty mediocre.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2016, 13:31 Jerykk

A laptop with liquid cooling? Really? I feel like these people are missing the point of having a laptop instead of a desktop.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: WD2 Nov 15, 2016, 22:48 Jerykk

What's especially weird is that the game has full frontal male nudity too, but apparently that's not going to be removed? Talk about double standards.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Patch Plans
15. Re: Dishonored 2 Patch Plans Nov 11, 2016, 22:51 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 18:48:
Why are companies using bad engines when they were using the Unreal engine before and didn't have all these problems?

Deus Ex and Dishonored 2, do they really save that much money?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution didn't use Unreal. It used the Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary/Underworld engine. For what it's worth, DX:MD looks significantly better than DX:HR and actually runs fine in most cases.

But yes, using your own internal engine can save you a lot of money because you don't have to pay for licensing fees or royalties. On the other hand, if your internal engine sucks and requires significant overhauls for each game (as was the case with Dishonored 2), licensing an engine might actually be cheaper.

News Comments > Tyranny Released
15. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 05:36 Jerykk

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 03:29:
Read one review so far, well skimmed over it since it was damn spoilerish. Seems like this could be one of the better games Obsidian has done. One big negative is apparently the game length, it's about 25 hours from start to finish with all the side quests, which seems rather short for a cRPG, could they be holding back on content for DLC, expansions and the like?

I'm fine with 25 hours if it doesn't have any filler. The Shadowrun games were around that length too and they were great (well, Dragonfall and Hong Kong, at least).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 7, 2016, 00:53 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2016, 17:49:
This is really a huge lost opportunity for MS. If they'd offered the game cheaper WITH all PC play possible (or AT LEAST Win10-XB1 play), they truly could have made a lot of headway for their Windows Store. Given what a huge release COD is every year, you would have thought they would have pulled out all stops to ensure compatibility and decent sales. Now they look like incompetent amateurs.

Honestly, I don't know if it would have made any meaningful difference. Nobody likes the Windows Store. If a game is available on both Steam and the Windows Store, 99.9% of customers will buy it on Steam.

I'd be surprised if MS doesn't abandon its Windows 10 gaming initiative within a year. So far, it's been a total bust and only gives people even less incentive to buy an Xbox.

On a side note, allowing for PC-XB1 crossplay was never going to work. A fast-paced, headshot-focused FPS combining MKB and gamepad players? Good luck with that.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2016, 02:15.

News Comments > GOG.com's Monstrous Fall Sale
6. Re: GOG.com's Monstrous Fall Sale Nov 4, 2016, 03:11 Jerykk

Expeditions: Conquistador is indeed great and worth getting if you like RPGs. Really looking forward to the follow-up, Expeditions: Vikings.

On a side note, GOG Galaxy really needs to add cloud saves. That's the biggest feature that's currently missing when compared to Steam. I think GOG is great but when given the choice between Steam and GOG, I'll almost always choose Steam because it has more useful features like cloud saves.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Season Pass Details
9. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Season Pass Details Nov 2, 2016, 23:16 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 21:44:
People REALLY need to stop buying these Season Passes. It's showing incredible faith in companies who have done nothing to earn such faith; quite the opposite really.

Depends on the company. The season pass for Witcher 3 was a fantastic deal.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Gold; Specs
22. Re: Dishonored 2 Gold; Specs Nov 2, 2016, 01:45 Jerykk

They really need to ditch MegaTextures. Do that and they'll cut the game's filesize by at least 50%.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Released - No Season Pass
6. Re: Titanfall 2 Released - No Season Pass Oct 28, 2016, 12:22 Jerykk

The only reason EA wouldn't do a season pass is if they weren't very confident in the game's sales.  

News Comments > Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies
20. Re: Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies Oct 26, 2016, 02:22 Jerykk

Fallout 4 was a decent game, but it wasn't an 88, which it got (xbone) on metacritic. It was riddled with game-breaking bugs, all hobbled together on a decades-old Frankenstein engine.

Sounds like every Bethesda RPG ever. Fallout 4 is another game I pre-ordered and I got exactly what I expected. Lousy writing and quest design (though generally better than previous games), bugs, crappy animation, outdated engine, etc, but still a big, detailed world that was fun to explore. Now, if I had pre-ordered FO4 expecting it to be a worthy follow-up to New Vegas, that would have been stupid because there was nothing to suggest it was ever going to be that.

The notion that you can only pre-order games sight unseen is an antiquated one. I've been pre-ordering games for years and have yet to be surprised by any of them. It's pretty easy to make informed purchases without relying on reviews.

News Comments > Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies
11. Re: Bethesda Holding Back Review Copies Oct 25, 2016, 23:28 Jerykk

I mean, who actually gambles on a pre-order these days? What gamer hasn't been burned by this practice?

Pre-ordering really isn't that risky these days. Most devs/publishers release tons of gameplay footage (through both official trailers/walkthroughs and Youtuber/streamer videos) before release. You can also find tons of info through previews, interviews, etc. You can also look at the developer's track record. There's no shortage of information about a game before it releases.

On top of that, you can routinely pre-order games for 40-50% off at sites like cdkeys.com.

As a recent example, look at Mafia 3. People like to use it as an example of why you shouldn't pre-order but it isn't actually a good example of that. The biggest complaint about the game is the formulaic mission design and that was already obvious from the hours of gameplay footage available before the game's launch. Same applies to the stupid AI, mediocre graphics, performance issues, etc. There was nothing about Mafia 3 that was surprising to anyone that actually bothered to do some research before buying it. I find that's true for pretty much every game these days.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
16. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 03:58 Jerykk

Cautiously hopeful about this. Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games and I played it about 20 years after release.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs
13. Re: Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs Oct 19, 2016, 03:53 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 03:42:
I never actually played it, but the impressions I got from the many videos I watched and the panning it seemed like it got here made me think it weren't good.

Now I'm thinking I should give it a shot a few years late.

Seems like the majority of people who panned the game either didn't play it or only played it for an hour. The game starts off slow but once you start unlocking more abilities and mission types, things pick up. It also helps if you try to be stealthy, as that approach is a lot more interesting and requires more thoughtful use of the hacking mechanics.

That said, if Watch_Dogs 2 really does improve everything, there's not much reason to go back and play the original. The story was okay but nothing remarkable and the setting wasn't particularly noteworthy.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs
5. Re: Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs Oct 18, 2016, 23:15 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 22:11:
Does anyone even want this game?

Me? I enjoyed the first game and the sequel looks to improve upon it in every way. I'm fine with this delay, as it gives me more time to play Dishonored 2.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 17, 2016, 05:08 Jerykk

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 20:19:
Dev wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 15:33:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 12:56:
Tried that Shadow Warrior II game, did not like it. Waiting for civ 6.
Given that it has a 93% positive review score with 2500+ reviews, looks like you are in the minority.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about it?

Well to start with the controls are horrid and it looks like something a bunch of high school kids made. Even the kids did not like it, they played it for 3 days and shelved it. I can't help people have such poor standards.

Those are some pretty talented high school kids.

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
50. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 16, 2016, 07:06 Jerykk

If Mass Effect taught me anything, it's that driving a buggy around a vast, barren landscape isn't very interesting. That's kind of the whole problem with procedural content. Sure, you can have a potentially infinite amount of content but if 99% of it is generic and forgettable, what's the point?  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Released
21. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Released Oct 16, 2016, 02:22 Jerykk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:37:
Bumpy wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:35:
This looks overall impressive and better than Doom 2016.

Wish I still loved FPS but I just can't muster the enthusiasm to play this genre any more.

It sure as hell doesnt look nearly as good as Doom. But it has much better gameplay.

Eh, that's debatable. Doom was a better pure shooter and successfully captured the feel of Quake multiplayer, something I haven't really seen done before. SW2 is a lot of fun too but from a mechanical standpoint, I think Doom is still better.

14805 Comments. 741 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo