Descending
Limit Results:

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 26, 2004, 10:14
Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:14
Oct 26, 2004, 10:14

It is clearly stated in several places that counterstrike:source is still in beta. They aren't patching as if it was a release, and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater
Oct 25, 2004, 21:47
Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 21:47
Oct 25, 2004, 21:47

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will convert the original DOOM maps to the source engine!

Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater
Oct 25, 2004, 21:33
Re: Not a FanBoy or Hater Oct 25, 2004, 21:33
Oct 25, 2004, 21:33

I don't see the logical connection here. The argument is that people cannot criticize anything they cannot create themselves?
If someone built me a shitty house, I'd be more than happy to let them know right away. Why? Because I paid for it with my hard earned money! The same goes for a game. Are you trying to tell us that if you bought a car, and the transmission blew after 500 miles, you would not complain about it or criticize it?
You'd better learn to open your mind a bit more.
You say you are at college, but your comments lead me to believe otherwise.

By the way, tell your future boss when you screw up a design that unless he can create it too, he can't criticize it. See how that goes.
=-)

I'd also like to add that a degree doesn't make a person who they are. Some of the greatest people in history never went to college. Some did. So what? It's what you do with your life that matters, not what a piece of paper on your wall says you can do. Brag that you saved a baby from a burning building, or that you give to those in need.

Integrity > Net worth
This comment was edited on Oct 25, 21:38.

Re: Hmmmmm....
Apr 15, 2004, 11:45
Re: Hmmmmm.... Apr 15, 2004, 11:45
Apr 15, 2004, 11:45

The point is that the industry thinks it is O.K. to basically tell you what you can and can't have installed on your machine. They don't care that you might use software legitimately, because it could possibly have some minor effect on their software sales. The point isn't just bitching as if this is the first time its happened. The point is to help people realize the problem, because it is widespread from nobody ever saying a thing about it. In my opinion, it is getting out of hand.

Doom 3? It will likely use protection very similar to quake 3. It is inevitable that it will be pirated, and so will HL 2, but the fact remains people will still be buying it en masse. Why? because people pirating the game generally wouldn't go to the store and buy it to begin with. Half life and quake 3 were huge successes, and both required a legit cd key to play online. Both were cracked, but it's alot more of a pain to try and generate a valid cd key than it is to crack cd copy protection.
Like I said, its fine to put whatever on your cd to try and keep your losses minimal from piracy. But making your product malfunction because of what is installed on the system, especially without stating the fact somehow or somwewhere during the time of purchase, is pretty sneaky if you ask me. Whats next, games that uninstall other programs you might have installed, but don't tell you about it? It's not much different than what's beginning with this type of protection.

Re: Safedisc
Apr 15, 2004, 10:23
Re: Safedisc Apr 15, 2004, 10:23
Apr 15, 2004, 10:23

indiv: Yeah, progams like Daemon Tools attempt to emulate safedisc and other protection schemes. However 99% of the time that emulation doesn't work at all. Thus, a crack/patch or what have you is still required. My point was more that the bigger culprit is the cracks, not the virtual drive software that has many practical uses for people. Image mounting software has been used for a long time now, and it's no new thing to any OS. It's useful, it's here to stay, and the game industry needs to be a little more creative in copy protection. People generally have no problem registering their cd-key (especially for online play), and I doubt they would have much protest if people were required to have a registered key to be able to download patches and updated game content online.

Et cetera:
Trying to mandate what a person can have installed on their computer is a pretty unprofessional method to prevent piracy, and it makes me think that they are too busy rushing the product out the door to try and come up with anything that might actually work without creating dissatisfied customers. Personally, no matter what they tell me, because I can always fix it so that it will run on my machine anyhow. I still will protest however, because if I can buy a book and write all over the pages, there's no reason I can't modify data on my hard drive however I see fit.
In the end, it all boils down to keeping the consumer happy, and game companies are quickly attaining notoriety for not following this mantra.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 10:26.

Safedisc
Apr 15, 2004, 08:47
Safedisc Apr 15, 2004, 08:47
Apr 15, 2004, 08:47

It's one thing to tell me it won't run because of incompatibility. Its another thing to tell me that it won't run because it is purposefully incompatible with other software programs present. Don't want me to pirate it? Then use a CD-Key registration system to download new patches. Nobody on this planet besides myself has any right to say what I can or can't do to software (while it is on my computer, not talking about pirating it) that I purchased and installed on my computer, for my personal use. I use daemon tools all the time because I prefer to not deal with cd-swapping, and it's easier for working with backup images for work, school, or whatever.

Why should someone have to justify their use of a software program? Saying I am a pirate because I have a software program on my computer is like saying you are a murderer because you own a gun. The problem software isn't a cd image mounting program anyways, because that won't even circumvent copy protection- you STILL need a crack, which you need to use something along the lines of softICE (debugger)or a decompiler and a bit of knowledge to accomplish that. This whole comment thread is one big over generalization, and so is the publisher of what I thought was going to be an awesome game with a fresh story line in a genre being starved out by unorigional game design.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 08:54.
6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older