Descending
Limit Results:

26 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Valve vs Sierra
Sep 20, 2004, 18:27
Re: Valve vs Sierra Sep 20, 2004, 18:27
Sep 20, 2004, 18:27

On Friday, when asked if Space Captain remained intent on making Half-Life 2 available to gamers via Bit Torrent, regardless of what was determined on October 8, he replied, "Yes."

fuck ethics - we can all play this game!!! yay

No no... Valve, so far, still has the online distribution rights to HL2. This has nothing to do with ethics and all to do with the law. You, Captain, have no rights over it, whatsoever.

Not that I'm doubting the enevitibilty of this statement, but how long before you think we'll see the first Steam clone?

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I expect to see it from Blizzard, within the next two years. Those are some creative, resourceful, and relatively wealthy(compared to other developer houses) SOBs.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 18:31.

Valve vs Sierra
Sep 20, 2004, 18:21
Valve vs Sierra Sep 20, 2004, 18:21
Sep 20, 2004, 18:21

One thing most people have failed to understand is that Valve has NOT breached its contract with VUG. What is in question is whether or not Valve underplayed the importance of Steam when they asked for the online distribution rights from VUG. If it is decided that they did, in fact, hide some imformation about Steam from VUG in BAD FAITH, then, it could be argued that the contract is not valid to begin with and they'll rescind the online distribution rights as well as the IP rights to HL.

Re: regarding steam..
Sep 20, 2004, 17:50
Re: regarding steam.. Sep 20, 2004, 17:50
Sep 20, 2004, 17:50

This is a very delayed reply to HarbingerOfDeath's comments about Steam:
Some of the concerns of STEAM are:

1. Not having control of what goes on - not seeing exactly what STEAM is doing to your files makes some users uneasy.

a. Being able to patch your game at your own leisure is sometimes necessary if there are side effects of the patch (losing save games for one).

b. Theoretically it may be possible to not only download files, but also upload files.. using your PC and bandwidth as a file server.

c. Spyware

d. Performance hit - Is a mid to low end PC going to take a significant performance hit in a single or multiplayer game with STEAM running in the background?

Pretty much EVERY piece of software out there does things without explicitly informing you of what is going on. So, I don't know why Steam has to tell you step by step what it is doing.

a. Steam gives you complete control over what games to patch. Except for patching itself, that is.

b. "Theoretically" ANY program you install on your machine can do this. Next?

c. See b.

d. Not true. I have a friend who plays CS:CZ on a P3600 with 128MB RAM and a GF2MX at 90+ fps. If you know anything about computers(I'm a software developer and hardware architecture designer), then you'll know that every computer is different. Just because a computer has the exact same hardware as another, doesn't mean they'll run the same. Unfortunately, there's too many variables and the biggest is usually software. Drivers, OS, Spyware, AV Scanners, etc. So to say that Steam doesn't play on low to mid end computers is simply a lie by generalizing.

OK. To sum up concern number one, you're afraid Steam may harm your computer. It is a valid concern, but if you trust the developer and publisher (namely, Valve) then it shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, I'm sure you wouldn't worry about installing Photoshop because it MAY have spyware or it MAY use your computer to upload files.
There's no logical valid reason not to trust Valve, so far.

2. Your PC requiring Valve's servers much in the same way a MMOG requires servers could be a problem.

a. Look at WoW and SWG. They had problems recently due to a tornado hitting their server farm. WoW testers were not able to log in this weekend. Imagine not being able to play your favorite single player FPS because of this.

b. Situations where local internet is temporarily not available

c. LAN games - will they happen with HL2?

d. If a million people send an authorization request at the same time (release day.. whenever that is), will STEAM be able to handle it?

a. Without Steam you had WON servers. If they were down, you couldn't play. As long as you want to keep piracy and cheating down, you need central servers. Yes. IF they go down, you can't play. Oh well. EVERY major MP game is like that, today (Tribes 2, COD, BF1942, SOF2, etc.) So, Steam is not unique in this area.

b. So, I had a LAN party at my apartment, one night, and my internet was down. We could still play CS:CZ, locally. You don't need internet access to play SP and LAN games.

c. See b.

d. I don't know. I hope so, but then again, this technology is new and it'll take some time to perfect it.

Steam has all the advantages and disadvantages of any remotely-distributed-centrally-controlled-network client =P. The possibilities of it doing something mean to your computer are as low as any other product from another major publisher. And, simply put: You will have to get used to Steam because this will definitely be the way games will be published more and more.

Re: No subject
Apr 13, 2004, 18:30
Re: No subject Apr 13, 2004, 18:30
Apr 13, 2004, 18:30

They can be just as strong only IF they both have the same muscle mass. Again, since women cannot achieve the same muscle mass as men, women cannot become as strong as men.

Read this
Apr 13, 2004, 17:39
Read this Apr 13, 2004, 17:39
Apr 13, 2004, 17:39

http://www.musclemonthly.com/articles/000915/000915-volk-female-muscle.htm
Basically, a woman with the same amount of muscle mass as a man will be just as strong, BUT since women cannot develop the same muscle mass as men, they, generally speaking, are physically weaker than men.
Another thing is that people have to get it through their heads is that, regardless of what the constitution says, not everyone is created equally. Some people are smarter, some are shorter, some are more artistic, some can't lose weight easily while others can't gain weight no matter how much they eat.
Men and women are NOT the same, either. Period. Cry as much as you want; it won't make a difference.
The following examples are generally true:
Men are taller than women.
Women weigh less.
Men have 50% more total muscle mass.
Women have about 10% more body fat than men.
Women have less bone structure than men, but their pelvis is wider.
Men can pump more blood through the heart than women due to a 25% larger heart in men.
Women are more flexible.
Etcetera.
The list goes on and on. And that's just the physical aspect of the differences. Then, you have the psychological, chemical, and other differences. The point is: We're different. Get over it.

No subject
Apr 12, 2004, 11:50
No subject Apr 12, 2004, 11:50
Apr 12, 2004, 11:50

Just because Punkbuster support has been "talked about" since patch 1.1, doesn't mean anything. The forums are alwatys "talking about" rumored features. Nothing official had come out, until now.

26 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older