Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5658 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2017, 10:31 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 01:07:
This is fucked up...

http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332
Wow. That is some seriously stupid corporate think. However, I have little doubt that management is patting themselves on the back over their great plan.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2017, 23:30 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 22:18:
The media is already moving onto his Supreme Court pick and he's already moving onto 2 other things.
Indeed. Threatening the President of Mexico with an invasion of US troops and hanging up on the PM of Australia... I'm sure more is to follow soon.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2017, 12:47 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 22:12:
Libre is fine for most things. Serious spreadsheets and presentations it is not, but I wouldn't much care outside of work.

And I wouldn't want to submit a resume from Libre, unless it's been made a .pdf, because you never know what version of Office it's being opened in (and it is being opened in Office) and how it would print.

Otherwise? For 99% of home users it's fine, because those people never get into power user situations. For power users, Excel and PowerPoint or bust.
Yeah, even at work I was never really was a power user of either -- just never needed to be.

I thought the standard for electronic resumes had been .pdf for a LONG time.

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 15:06 Mr. Tact

It's not just in your head, unfortunately...  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 13:32 Mr. Tact

Ah, I see... I guess that makes some sense. *shrug* Always seemed to me plenty of their advertising was pointed at non-corporate targets -- but that could be a bad interpretation by me.  

60. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 13:26 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 10:25:
@Mr.Tact - I wholeheartedly disagree that "they are all the same". We've never really experienced anything like Trump or "President Bannon" in this country, at least not as we understand them so far. The major difference here is that Hillary would have only had whiny republican politicians upset over the things she wanted to do, and Trump has the majority of the American public against him.

Dismissing Washington entirely as "they're all the same" will never ever result in positive action or resolution. The major political parties couldn't be more different in the ethics, scope and types of change they wish to inflict on US citizens.

Yeah.. I don't know. Yes, we've "never seen anything like this before" -- however I still think Trump in many ways is just like all the other politicians in DC. Possibly more of a narcissist than most, but not really that different. Bannon, though.. yeah, he is a problem. An ideologue with dangerous nationalist and isolationist priorities who has the ear of an impressionable President. I'd be interested to read what history thinks of him 100 years from now. And I'm fearful of what he may talk Trump into over the next four years.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:39 Mr. Tact

Oh, and by the way --

Three nominees have been approved and another seven are scheduled for floor votes this week. This means 10 will be approved soon. I would say as long as the GOP doesn't find their spines but in reality, the Ds haven't been showing theirs either. I don't know how that compares to 2009, but approving 10 within two weeks of the inauguration seems reasonable. Again, in any case far better treatment than Garland got.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 10:12 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 09:54:
I said I am not defending, I am pointing out how ridiculous the Left is handling their reaction when just a couple years ago they were all for the same thing.

Just look at the FACT that only 2 cabinet members have been "approved" and they flat out said it is PAYBACK.
As has been pointed out, it wasn't "the same". Trump's action is more restrictive and it wasn't coordinated with, Congress, the State Dept., and the Justice Dept.

I agree with your last statement though -- they are all the same. This is why it baffles me so much about the chant of Trump being different. I'm sure a Clinton Presidency would have had the GOP howling by now because of something she had done. Unfortunately, it is simply the nature of our politics. There is no hypocrisy. There is always howling and the press always covers it.

As far as cabinet nominees go, at least they are getting hearings, more than can be said for Merrick Garland. The GOP has no providence to complain on that front. And if the Trump administration had done a bit more prep, like getting background checks completed and required forms filled out prior to the nominations, it might have meant less delays...

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 09:51 Mr. Tact

Uh, you lost me...  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 09:29 Mr. Tact

The only reason MS Office hasn't totally died is corporate sales. I used probably every version of MS Office ever made, at work. I personally bought the 1998 version, and never bought another. I started using LibreOffice a couple of years ago, haven't found an issue with it yet...  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 09:13 Mr. Tact

Well, the article you linked didn't have all the details so it is difficult to be sure, but it looked like the bill passed by Congress might have been less restrictive than what Trump did. However, as I said it was not completely clear.

Either way, it doesn't matter right? I mean according to you, it is all the media's fault.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 08:29 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 07:55:
The past 3 presidents have instituted similar bans, Obama did 6-7 times!

And the world didn't burn.....weird.
Big difference between passing a bill through Congress and just issuing an Executive Order. Which is one of the things the GOP constantly railed about against Obama. Apparently, as usual, it is okay for the GOP to do what they complained bitterly about the Ds doing.
Once again, not defending, but the media has created the majority of our problems in this country in the past 15-20 years.
Yeah, people's actions mean nothing. It is only the press reporting those actions that create problems. Obviously. Rolleyes

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 22:51 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 20:00:
Besides, technically he hasn't done anything wrong. The executive order only puts the entire VISA process on pause for 120 days for a review of the process. They technically haven't denied anyone anything, it's just a 4 month timeout.
Tell that to the people who were detained. Or turned away at airports outside the US.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 14:46 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Jan 29 2017, 13:31:
I have never been a fan of the Pro Bowl in spite of my love of tackle football.
Has anyone? I don't think I've ever heard anyone defend it. And despite being a fan of the NFL since the early 70s I have never seen one.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 23:20 Mr. Tact

Darks wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 17:43:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 15:09:
For me, "V for Vendetta" is the first thing that comes to mind.. although Alien is a close second.
I guess you just told us how young you are. Because that scene in Alien was a defining moment in movies and his career.
Haha! You must not have read many of my previous posts in this forum, seems like every other post I am excusing my opinion by saying I am a curmudgeon. V for Vendetta just hits all the right notes for me. Definitely a favorite film of mine, probably seen it a couple of dozen times at least. I'm old enough I saw both Alien and Star Wars in the theater during their original releases, before they were well known. It might be a defining moment in film history, but it's not the first thing I personally think of when John Hurt is mentioned.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 15:09 Mr. Tact

For me, "V for Vendetta" is the first thing that comes to mind.. although Alien is a close second.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 12:34 Mr. Tact

FWIW, I find jdreyer's points more compelling than yours, descender -- but whatever. It is a matter of opinion, there is no black and white here. There is certainly no reason for either side to get upset.

It's been a good discussion, please don't let it descend into name calling.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 15:02 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 14:49:
Oh this can't be true. Maybe it isn't. It's just too perfect.
Yeah... I'm not believing that without some better evidence....

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 10:02 Mr. Tact

Ah, got it...

Previously you said, "There are a ton of off-screen assumptions made for Luke's 'training'...". Other than flying the fighter, Luke doesn't show any particularly skills in ANH, right? No lightsaber battle, no defeating a Dark Side master... So, I'm not sure where the complaint is, and it certainly seems more reasonable than the things Rey pulls off. Now, I like the idea that Rey might have been trained at a young age and now has a memory block in place. I'd buy that plot device.

And I don't think a young Luke is a spoiled brat. He is frustrated, which can manifest in some cases similarly to being a spoiled brat, but they are very different. He indicates an interest in getting involved in other worldly events. So, it seems reasonable to assume he'd take steps to prepare for that. *shrug*

Ultimately, there are always lots of things which have to be assumed in film. They only have 2-3 hours to often show a person's entire life. Your points have some merit, and I'll agree with what you said earlier - "I agree we aren't talking equality here. ANH was a better overall movie but that doesn't make TFA bad."

The problem is ANH is the measuring stick, and TFA didn't get there. Probably not fair, but life isn't fair. All in all, good discussion. Thanks.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 13:28 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 12:55:
As far as I'm concerned (from what is actually shown in the movies) it makes way more sense for Rey to know how to fight with a lightsaber than it ever did for Luke.
Could you explain why you think this? Only seen TFA once, so maybe I am forgetting something?

5658 Comments. 283 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo