Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5073 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 22:14 Mr. Tact

I did find an article on space.com with the headline of, "Entire Solar System Is Heating Up! Scientists Blame Solar Warming". In that article there is this statement,

"The warming of the entire solar system has been supported by some scientists. One dramatic shift that is taking place is the strength of the sunís electromagnetic field. According to a study by Dr. Mike at Lockwood Rutherford Appleton National Laboratories, in California, the sunís magnetic field has increased by 230 percent within the last 100 years. "

Which is somewhat interesting. I'd like to know how the electromagnetic field of the sun has been measured for the last 100 years. Is that based off the frequency of northern lights or what? However I think the key is "supported by some scientists", I read that as fairly weak support. Basically it sounds like Dr. Mike said, "Hmm, well maybe this is going on. We have some circumstantial evidence for it." And either no one is willing to slap it down yet, or the author didn't bother asking anyone else. *shrug*

And even if the electromagnetic field of the sun HAS increased 230 percent within the last 100 years. Without further information it is pretty meaningless. Maybe the field fluctuates by large amounts on a semi-regular basis. We already know the magnetic field of Earth has reversed multiple times throughout the geologic record.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 20:00 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 16:59:
I'm not stupid.

To your point about "observable, repeatable events" I would challenge you to look at observable, repeatable events of the world from the early 1900's onward. Compare the mindset before 1920's with the mindset post. There's was a noticeable malaise that the world has never been able to recover from despite the advances in technology, medicine, and more.
I said you weren't stupid. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. As far as observable events, you are babbling as far as I can tell, I can't even guess what you are attempting to communicate.
Also look up scientists observations about the sun. They say it is heating up against all scientific "observable, repeatable" evidence that shows when a star reaches a certain age its core begins to grow "colder." As far as they know ours is the only "observable" star that has not grown cold with age (they cannot explain the reasons).
Again, not quite following you here -- what "heating up" are you talking about? Is this a reference to the 11 year "solar cycle"? The periodic changes in sunspots? As far as I know our Sun is acting well within our understanding of stars of its age and size. Scientists say it is mid way through it's "main sequence" stage. Perhaps you are talking about the "Coronal heating problem"? I don't pretend our current level of scientific knowledge can provide all the answers. I do hold science will find more answers than you'll ever find in the Bible.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2017, 21:58.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 15:38 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 15:18:
The same could be said of scientists who proposed string theory (remains unproven), Higgs Boson (took 48 years to verify), and E=MC^2 (took 120 years to prove). And yet you haven't seen the scientific community protesting vigorously about these just because they remained theories at the time. In fact, many participated in proving them correct through years and years of research. In any context, science is always a systematic effort to build and organize knowledge from satisfactory evidence, and real faith is based on such efforts. Even faith in science can exist.
Stop it, just stop it. You are not that stupid. Yes, people can have faith in things other than religion, including science. However, the advancement of science is based on observable, repeatable events not on convincing others to have the same faith as you. Science and religion are not the same, no matter how many times you say they are.

News Comments > Path of Exile The Fall of Oriath Announced
14. Re: Path of Exile The Fall of Oriath Announced Mar 5, 2017, 23:07 Mr. Tact

Restarted on PoE and I have to say while I am enjoying it, it didn't take long to remember something I don't like about it. The inability to do full resets of the passive tree. The fans of the game are pretty rabid about how, paraphrased -- "It's part of the game and if you don't like it run your wimpy ass back to D3."

And while it really isn't that hard to build a mid range character, say level 50. I really fail to see what the game gains through the restriction. Even something like, say one reset a month or something would be cool. But whatever -- clearly a case of "it is what it is".

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 22:03 Mr. Tact

BTW -- I just wanted to take a moment to say, I don't know what Emma Watson's tits have to with feminism either -- but I like looking at them -- well, a good portion of them anyway.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 16:06 Mr. Tact

That's because there was no damaging info, it is all fake news! Come on, get over to Breitbart and educate yourself.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 15:42 Mr. Tact

Saw a tidbit yesterday about how Hugh Jackman was never the primary choice for playing Wolverine. And that his wife who normally plays a major part in his decisions on what roles to take suggested he not do it. (she now admits she was wrong about this one.. :D)

Kind of funny -- now it's tough to imagine it being anyone else.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 09:21 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 00:09:
Who is that?
In the photo with Trump you mean? Assuming that's what you are asking -- it is Rod Serling, long time host/narrator of the very memorable and well known TV series, "The Twilight Zone".

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2017, 12:39 Mr. Tact

Wow, just when I think it can't get worse. Trump randomly accuses Obama bugging Trump Tower? I can't figure out if he is crazy, a genius, or just has ADD -- probably parts of all three.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2017, 15:46 Mr. Tact

So, how are you doing your update if the office is packed up?  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2017, 11:23 Mr. Tact

Yeah, as the issue has matured it's pretty clear he will not be resigning.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2017, 22:25 Mr. Tact

I've certainly kept games around for literally years telling myself, "I'll get back to it.." but once I know I'm done with a game, I've never had an issue with uninstalling it..  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 21:26 Mr. Tact

I bought an 65" LG OLED B6 in December -- and I love it. That "review" does it no favors.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2017, 14:01 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:50:
... Will he resign or get immunity?
My bet -- neither, he will continue in office. Forget what you know, this is the "New World Order". And no, I'm not trying to be ominous, just acknowledging we are in never seen before territory.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2017, 14:49.

20. Re: Alien: Covenant - Official Trailer. Mar 1, 2017, 16:11 Mr. Tact

So... in other words the same story we have already seen. Gee, what a shock. Unless I hear surprisingly good reviews, I'm assuming this is a "catch it on the movie channels" deal.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:49 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 10:14:
It's going to easily be another month before our house is ready to go on the market. The good news is we are going from a seller's to a buyer's market, so that should make things easier once the time comes, but we aren't really at the time yet.
Got it. Good luck on both ends of the situation.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:48 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 11:24:
I wouldn't buy a house right away. Rent a year or more to get a vibe of the different neighborhoods. Thumbsup
Good advice in urban areas, less so in rural. Even so if you get a competent realtor (granted, not necessary easy to do) they'll know neighborhoods.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 09:52 Mr. Tact

Have you signed on with a realtor yet? Probably best to have already started looking... Don't want to get there and find out your dream house sold the week before...  

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 122M
23. Re: Minecraft Sells 122M Mar 1, 2017, 09:50 Mr. Tact

Yeah, unfortunately for him, he is one of those "money can't buy you happiness" people. I gotta say, I'm not one of those people. Getting rich would solve any real problems I have (which aren't significant) and I'm fairly sure I could handle/ignore the new problems created by becoming rich. Now if the lottery would just cooperate and give me the win!  

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 122M
21. Re: Minecraft Sells 122M Feb 28, 2017, 23:06 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 19:10:
I wonder how Notch feels about it now, knowing he made what is literally a global phenomenon.
From what I've read about it, he is happy to have the load off his shoulders -- his personality doesn't work well with the "everyone knows you, and everyone wants your opinion" issue. He just wants to be anonymous and write code. At least that's the information I've seen...

5073 Comments. 254 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo