Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5868 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 08:30 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 04:13:
Weekdays I'm getting a couple of 7 or 8 mile runs per week on the treadmill at work: either speed workouts (jog 6 mph, run 7.5 mph) or hill workouts. In between, I might do a short recovery run (3 easy miles) or 30m on the elliptical or ski machine. Usually do a couple of weight training sessions per week. I usually take off one weekday completely and Saturday. On Sunday I do a long run: 12-18 miles.

I'm definitely not running a 6m mile, that's like a 2:40 marathon. I had an 18.5 mile (30K) race a couple weeks ago, and ran a 9:30 pace which felt pretty good, and translates to a 4:10 marathon. So if I can shave 20 seconds per mile, I might break 4 hours. We'll see. I got like seven weeks or so. I'm trying to drop a bit of weight to make it easier.

Elite marathoners run the entire marathon at like a 5:10 or 5:20 per mile pace. It's nuts. I can't even run a single mile that speed, never mind mile 26.

EDIT: Heh, just saw Orogogus' comment.
Congrats on being that fit and having the will to do it. Never in my entire life did I have that much drive. The nature of motivation is something which has interested me for a very long time, mainly due to my nearly total lack of it. Keep up the good work.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
86. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 30, 2017, 22:30 Mr. Tact

Nothing has come out yet to make me think the GOP will impeach Trump, not even close.  

30. Re: Speakers Oct 30, 2017, 21:54 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 18:57:
A pair of quality studio monitors is what I would get if I weren't committed to headphones due to neighbors.
One of the better reasons to own a house.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 13:55 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:50:
Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 12:38:
Fuck MLB for screwing with the baseballs. I like homeruns as much as the next guy, but now it's just becoming a fucking farce.

C'mon man! It's "exciting!" Everyone loves homeruns! Chicks dig the long ball
FTFY.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 11:29 Mr. Tact

Disabled Vet Running 31 Marathons In 31 Days. Not sure I could do one in 31 days.
I'll do you one better, I KNOW I could not have done a single one at any point in my life...

75. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 30, 2017, 10:24 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:08:
Honestly, the DNC looks more concerning. Bernie announced he's running as an independent again, right? Name 4 other DNC members. I'd bet every American here can name 6 or 7 GOP members, but less than half that for the DNC.
Yep. The Ds are lost in the weeds for sure. That is part of the reason I think the talk you hear about the Ds doing well in the 2018 elections is overblown, at best. I will be shocked if the Ds gain control of either the House or the Senate. I just can't see it happening. As far as a D candidate for President in 2020... here's to hoping a little known Senator can rise up and charm the nation.... it's happened before.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 10:13 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:08:
Ouch yeah, WorldCom hit me too. The interesting thing about stock picking is that I am so fucking bad at it whenever I assume I am gaining competence yet perform very well when I'm fearful and not meddling. I swapped most of my portfolio over to index funds about 10 years ago because of that and left about 5% of my annual contribution room as "play money". That way I can fart around a bit with tech stocks to satisfy the idea that I'm actually accomplishing something while not fucking over my retirement funds
Haha, yeah. The money I was "playing with" was always cash I had set aside, never the retirement money. I was reasonably lucky, by the time the 2008 recession hit I'd been maxing out my 401k for a few years and was nearly 100% in broad indexed funds. Didn't change a thing, kept contributing the max, and now here I am nine years later, retired. If that recession had happened in 2015 instead, I'd probably still be working and wondering if I would ever be able to retire.

73. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 30, 2017, 10:04 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:02:
the D's like that the GOP is fracturing...

I keep hearing this sentiment from people but I don't think it will do the left any favors. Steven Bannon has been targeting old party Republicans for elimination and looks to be laying the groundwork for some sort of bizarre new party under Trump. I'm not so sure a split Republican vote actually happens, they look to be totally subsuming the old party if anything. There are a lot of big egos in politics though so perhaps many won't go quietly.

I don't think populist sentiment has actually died down yet or will by that time, you guys should run Elizabeth Warren. She's not a very good orator but that can be addressed and I love her credentials and authenticity.
I'll agree the "fracturing" is not near catastrophic as of yet, and the GOP does a pretty good job of sticking together for the most part. But Bannon and Trump are doing a fair job of splitting off their portion, and the Tea Party already split off the "Freedom Caucus", so it's getting more complicated. But yeah, there isn't any reason for the Ds to dance in the streets yet...

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:59 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:20:
Buy and Hold cuts both ways though. I had $2000 in Nortel stock that is totally worthless today

I know a couple who bought BoA stock after the crash for next to nothing on a lark. Millionaires today. Just luck.
True, very true. I have my own "should have sold" story... about 20 years ago or so I bought a telecommunication company stock I was familiar with "Intermedia" I bought 100 shares for just under $20 a share. About a year after that they were up to $39 a share and I was feeling pretty good. Another year after that they were bought by Worldcom and the shares were converted to Worldcom shares. Within two years of that Worldcom was bankrupt and my $2k investment was gone.

I bought BoA after the crash. But I was selling covered calls on my shares and eventually the option was exercised. Made roughly 50% on my investment in about six months. So I can't complain too much, but yeah -- would have been nice if I had just held on to it.

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:12 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 00:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 12:30:
In case anyone was wondering... on the day Amazon IPO'd it opened at 18 closed at 23.50 -- assume you got 100 shares at $23 each. If you managed to not sell them somewhere along the way... your $2,300 investment would now be 1,200 shares worth roughly $1.3 million.

*kicks himself*
Don't feel too bad, the odds are you would not have held onto the shares this long even if you had bought them. Just think about it. When $2,300 becomes worth $10k are you going continue to hold? $20k? $50k? $100k? I discuss this occasionally with friends, it is a nice day dream topic. I've decided the only possibly way I would hold onto something that long (20 years in this case) is if I purchased the stock in an IRA fund.

67. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 30, 2017, 09:02 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 05:58:
People didn't seem to have a problem with complex electoral math when it was Hillary Clinton using it to her advantage over Bernie Sandies by specifically targeting superdelegates.

You're not going to change the system with the GOP in control so it just comes off as whining about the loss a year after the fact. You're stuck with your president for awhile, if you hate him so much then go find someone worthwhile to replace him that the rest of us can vote for in 2020. Someone who isn't a Clinton in case you needed a hint.
While I don't disagree with your general "use the rules" approach. Comparing HRC's win over Bernie to the general election rules is comparing apples and oranges. You are comparing internal political party rules to constitutional law, hardly the same thing. I've personally been against the Electoral College since around 1980, the first presidential election I voted in. I have yet to hear a good argument for keeping it.

I'm pretty sure you can safely say HRC won't be running in 2020. Even if she was willing to subject herself to it, which I personally don't think she is, she is smart enough to realize it would mostly unite the GOP -- the D's like that the GOP is fracturing...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Found the supposedly charged amount in a NYT article:

"... the power authority had already paid Whitefish or been billed about $20.8 million for work done so far..."

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:41 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:38:
What's plan B? I get that the Whitefish deal was rotten to the core, but they need power restored.
Hire legitimate contractors who aren't rip off artists? That would be a reasonable start...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2017, 18:40 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 17:21:
ruh roh
So, I wonder how much they siphoned up before the tap was cut off. I don't know if Zinke did or didn't have anything to do with the decision to grant this contract. However, I will be slightly amused if it ends up causing his removal from office...

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 12:30 Mr. Tact

In case anyone was wondering... on the day Amazon IPO'd it opened at 18 closed at 23.50 -- assume you got 100 shares at $23 each. If you managed to not sell them somewhere along the way... your $2,300 investment would now be 1,200 shares worth roughly $1.3 million.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 19:40 Mr. Tact

If (and this is a very big if) we ever harness gravity, it fixes a LOT of things for space travel -- getting things to orbit, gravity to keep humans healthy, probably propulsion too. But somehow I'm guessing that is at best, several millennium away...  

51. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 14:10 Mr. Tact

More broadly, I'm not sure what could work to solve "the drug problem". Especially since it is a least partially a social problem which are extremely hard to address. I've listened to all the arguments and suggestions over the years. I suspect there is no "right" answer, we need a little from this, a little from that, and a long period of time to work on it. It will never be eliminated. The only hope is to reduce it to a "manageable" level where at least ten of thousands aren't dying from it each year.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2017, 15:40.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 14:04 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 12:55:
Surely they could come up with something that gives people their jollies without being addictive or damaging.
I don't know about that.. if they could have they probably already would have.

37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 21:33 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 19:56:
I have a neighbor who no longer does heroin, but sadly she's just as badly addicted to methadone, and goes daily to the clinic for her "medication" that keeps getting upped every month (she's been going for 5 years).
I might be totally wrong about this, but I thought the main idea behind switching to methadone was it could be tapered off without serious side effects -- unlike heroin. So, either I am misinformed -- very possible, or something is really wrong in that situation...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 14:06 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 13:26:
Nothing wrong with going out in a sailboat, they were prepared for most eventualities but an engine loss combined w/broken mast, yikes. At least they had a years worth of food. Should have had not just a sat phone but an emergency beacon which do almost have 100% coverage. wiki ACR GlobalFix Pro 406 2844 EPIRB Category II Rescue Beacon with Manual Release Bracket and Built-in GPS
Agreed, they were somewhat prepared but probably not as prepared as they should have been. Their preparation saved their lives, better preparation would have make it a far less harrowing and a much shorter situation.

5868 Comments. 294 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo