Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6583 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:47 Mr. Tact

Concerning all the examples of harassment, personal or otherwise, relayed here -- while I am aware "that sort of thing happens" I really have to say I saw VERY little of it. I'm tempted to say I didn't see any, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt and guess there must have been one or two incidents. After thinking about it though, I realize my work experience is probably very different from most people. My entire job history:

Paperboy -- pre-HS
Detasseling corn -- pre-HS (summers only)

Grocery store bagger/stocker -- last two years of HS

Age 19-22: Different grocery store: Went from part-time bagger to Frozen Foods manage in nine months. Left after 4 years when I helped attempt to unionize the store, and failed.

Attended local Community College for two years.

Age 25-33: USAF

Age 33-54: A single "job". Started in a small company where I already knew most of the people working there. I created/started the help desk. Went on to become a Telecommucation Engineer, spent 3.5 years as a manager, before going back to be a foot soldier, eventually as a Network Engineer (routers and load balancer work mostly).

So, basically -- two real jobs. The USAF and my last one. The one with the most women around was the USAF, which obviously was seriously regimented. In my last one, as I said it was a small company. When I started there were two women, the office manager (who I had previously known) and my boss. An ex-IBM sales person who was a great person and boss. As the company grew there were additional women hired but frankly -- we were so busy working our asses off, there wasn't much time for sexual harassment. We were a small technical office. There were plenty of female sales and support staff, but they were stationed around the country and we rarely saw any of them in person.

We were all friends. Hell, in the early days, say the first five years or so -- it was a pretty standard day to work 10-12 hours, then everyone went out together for dinner and drinks. Then home to sleep and do it all again the next day.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 11:47 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:04:
Man, Kevin Spacey is DONE.
I have to say the whole explosion of sexual harassment charges in the news has me wondering a bit. Is it just me?

I read this stuff and it just doesn't fit into my life experience. I have neither witnessed nor heard personal accounts of these types of actions. And I'd like to think if I did witness it, I'd step in and say something. I don't think I've ignored it -- but it sounds so damn common I wonder if I have been blissfully ignorant?

5. Re: Unboxing a $500 LED Nov 7, 2017, 16:30 Mr. Tact

Sort of interesting but a little weird. There are so many technologies out there you really never see in "ordinary" life.  

3. Re: Landscaping Drama...Rand Paul Nov 7, 2017, 11:13 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:06:
... otherwise there would be a Youtube Worldstar video of it, I'm sure.
I was kind of wondering if there might be security camera footage, but haven't heard anything to indicate that...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2017, 15:25 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 12:12:
Also, Michael Bennett.
Michael Bennett is awesome. He breaks most stereo types about football players. Intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken -- it is a pleasure to listen to him speak.

Cutter, you totally missed the point. They are taking advantage of their privileged status to attempt to bring attention to a serious, on-going issue. I take it you would rather they just chill in the mansion and ignore the problems?

News Comments > On PUBG Cheating
12. Re: On PUBG Cheating Nov 5, 2017, 21:24 Mr. Tact

Yep. It's been a while since I did online FPS but even "back in the day" you knew it was a case of "you have to know which servers are well run." It has always been that way, it always will be...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 21:04 Mr. Tact

Just think how exhausted she must be when she gets wherever she is going. Takes a lot of energy to be that angry/stupid.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 16:55 Mr. Tact

Ouch! I hope you were too busy preparing for the move to watch the Giants game today, Blue...  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 5, 2017, 15:16 Mr. Tact

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 14:48:
I just watched V For Vendetta last night, for the first time in about 10 years, and it ended just a little bit after midnight. Did not even think about the date today, but that's an awesome little synchronicity.
An under appreciated movie IMHO.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2017, 13:44 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 13:32:
Massachusetts and Maine are considering ditching DST
I hope it leads to a domino effect, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
104. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 5, 2017, 12:29 Mr. Tact

Keep dreamin' -- not while the GOP is in control.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 22:24 Mr. Tact

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 21:46:
I can't wait for the end of March already. Fuck standard time, fuck winter, fuck the cold, fuck the early nightfall and fuck the earth's retarded axial tilt that is responsible for all this depressing shit.
Ha! That made me chuckle. Sounds like you need to move south and get a job with a more flexible schedule.

One of my sisters lives in Phoenix, and she loves it. She is a real cold hater too. Me? I hate the heat, could never live in Phoenix. As I'm getting older the cold bothers me more than it used to, but my spin is, it is the price I pay for milder, shorter summers (comparatively) and I usually get the bonus on "good" temperatures in the spring and fall.

Have a buddy who lives in Tucson, and he rises with the sun. He basically feels like he can't "wake up" without sunlight. But for me, I worked for years where I either left for work when it was still dark, or came home from work when it was dark and it was never an issue.

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
7. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 18:58 Mr. Tact

What the heck is Rust?  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 15:03 Mr. Tact

Found this:

In Australia: Various states and territories in Australia adopted daylight saving time between 1968 and 1971, but Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia did not do so. In Western Australia, three referendums were held in 1975, 1984 and 1992 on the issue, with daylight saving being rejected each time.

In Sept. 2017 Alberta was looking to have a vote getting rid of it... not clear if they did or not..

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 14:57 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 12:35:
... A lot of places have had referendums to abolish it and lost...
I don't necessary doubt you... but I find that puzzling since I have never meet anyone who didn't want to get rid of it. Can you point to ballet results somewhere?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 12:09 Mr. Tact

I don't really care if we stick to daylight-saving time or standard time -- JUST FUCKING PICK ONE AND STICK TO IT.

And in case you haven't seen it already, how is this still a thing?

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic and New WoW Expansion Announced
17. Re: World of Warcraft Classic and New WoW Expansion Announced Nov 4, 2017, 08:44 Mr. Tact

Oh please. "They want to charge for an old game!" There was a demand for the game. No one is twisting your arm. If you don't want to play it, no one is forcing you. As far as the subscription model for any game... they should do the continual updates, fixes, and maintenance free of charge? You know what it takes to support multiple millions of players?

*sheesh* Millennials!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2017, 08:38 Mr. Tact

You know how most people have a film they consider a "guilty pleasure"? It's not an especially good film, barely worth watching once, let alone multiple times. But for some reason it strikes this particular person in just the right way, consequently they have watched it many, many times. (Grease 2 is one of mine )

That's kinda how I feel about the D3 story. Yeah, I realize it has major problems and really isn't well done... but for some reason it just doesn't bother me.

News Comments > Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs
4. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 3, 2017, 20:52 Mr. Tact

Hope they cleaned up when they sold the company, this was a predictable outcome.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play
11. Re: StarCraft II Going Free-to-Play Nov 3, 2017, 19:43 Mr. Tact

So, now it will be free to play... can I play it on a LAN without an Internet connection yet? (not really serious, but had to say it)  

6583 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo