Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6590 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2017, 11:50 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 11:35:
Patriotic American's(nsfw)
In 35+ years of owning vehicles I have never had a bumper sticker on one. I'm thinking about getting one of these...

Although, considering it for a couple of minutes -- I think I'd prefer if it said, "if you voted for him"..

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2017, 12:01.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2017, 11:05 Mr. Tact

"in charge" is probably an overstatement, it is more like "is barely holding on"...  

News Comments > StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm
6. Re: StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm Nov 15, 2017, 21:50 Mr. Tact

Is the launcher showing you own SCII? If so, drop a ticket to Blizzard.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm
4. Re: StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm Nov 15, 2017, 21:41 Mr. Tact

YourNick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:39:
I bought the original Starcraft 2 many years ago, but I don't see an upgrade gift option for heart of the swarm.
It shows up in the Battle.net launcher. There is an icon in the upper right...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 15, 2017, 21:39 Mr. Tact

Yeah, well -- I figured either that or he misread it, and I didn't want to bother looking at his previous posts in case he had not misread it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 15, 2017, 21:08 Mr. Tact

Er? I'm guessing you misread his quote?

In Washington, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) denounced the new Russian law, saying there is “no equivalence” between RT and networks such as the Voice of America, CNN and the BBC, whose journalists “seek the truth, debunk lies, and hold governments accountable.” By contrast, he said in a statement, “RT’s propagandists debunk the truth, spread lies, and seek to undermine democratic governments in order to further Vladimir Putin’s agenda.”

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2017, 20:30 Mr. Tact

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:11:
I feel like if we just commit to reducing the population of the planet by 80% we'll be ok.
I won't say it is likely, but it could happen. Virus, nuclear war, lack of drinkable water... take your pick...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2017, 18:27 Mr. Tact

Lulz.

Cards Against Humanity takes on Trump

9. Re: Zimbabwe Nov 15, 2017, 14:15 Mr. Tact

I just wanted to make a quick comment... I'm not sure we know fully what is going on in Zimbabwe right now. But whatever it is...

Is it really a coup d'etat when you are removing someone who has essentially been illegally holding control of the country for 35+ years?

6. Re: Guy reviews his office's terrible new "smart" water cooler Nov 15, 2017, 13:56 Mr. Tact

I'm always wishing I could have heard the planning discussions on products like this. The product is so bad you have to wonder why half the people at the meeting weren't saying, "WTF. One of the worst ideas I've heard in years."  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2017, 09:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 21:29:
So if I go to Google News the top item has the following headlines..
4 dead cnn.com
5 dead, 10 injured krcrtv.com
At least 5 dead ap.com
The gunman was killed by police, the gunman killed 4. So, 4 victims, 5 dead. You see this kind of death count variance by one in these types of stories on a regular basis....

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 09:54.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 11:33 Mr. Tact

Lulz. Yeah, I can see how you'd have to be careful with that kind of splint...

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2017, 11:50.

News Comments > "One-Trick" Overwatch Player Bans?
14. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 10:21 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 09:23:
Basically, all online game communities suck.
All open, non-monitored online game communities suck. However, this only mirrors offline communities. There's a good reason most everyone has a group of friends they like to spend their time with...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 08:11 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:39:
She's expressing misgivings about her job, but it seems pretty apparent that this is really because of her misgivings about moving, and there's no blaming her for that. She is pretty much of two minds about everything in general, so that doesn't help. She claims that's because she's a Gemini, but I'm a Scorpio, and we don't believe in astrology.
Completely understandable even without the astrology. Moving is right near the top on the "things which cause the most stress" list. It even affects me despite having been a military brat. There was no place I thought of as "home" until my dad retired out of the service when I was in the 7th grade. But I've lived in that area since then minus the time I was in the USAF. And frankly, can't imagine permanently moving away from there.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 16:53 Mr. Tact

Hmm, I remember "The Thing" being okay, but the greatest horror film ever? Then again, I've never really been a horror movie person. That said, I think I'd have to give "The Shining" my GOAT tag. I'll set the DVR to catch "The Thing" next time it is on, and get a refresher...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 10:43 Mr. Tact

I asked this before but didn't receive an answer (possibly because it was simply lost in the multitude of posts on the site) so, I'll ask again..
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 13:27:
Are her misgivings about the new job or just the prospect of having to move? Is she currently working remotely for her new job? Whatever the answers, your approach seems sound. Although I've literally never been the marrying type, it has always seemed to me the cliche "Happy wife, happy life." was good guidance.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Blue, condolences on the sufficating embrassment of the NY Giants losing to previously winless San Francisco 49ers....  

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:58 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 19:44:
I don't think you'd get leftovers. Any federal judgeship is an extremely prestigious position that any law firm or corporation would snap up if hiring a former judge. Also, 10 or so years per level: district, appeals, and supreme. Maybe 16 years is a good number so that each presidential term replaces a quarter of the judges. I'd also like to see term limits for the Senate and House.
Maybe. I did say "if not". It would be interesting to know what the average number of federal bench appointments there are every four years and if 16 year terms would lead to a significant increases in the number of appointments on average, over 4 years.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:34 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:47:
Saw this bumper sticker on reddit, thought people here would appreciate.
Amen!

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 09:53 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 09:30:
Over the past several years, I've decided federal judges should be term-limited. Having the same people on the bench for decades and decades just isn't good, especially with technology and culture changing so rapidly. 10 to 15 years should be the max you can serve on the bench at each level.
Yeah, it is a difficult situation. The idea behind making a life time appointment is it will supposedly remove political pressure -- as opposed to the premise of a judge who would be beholding to a political process to be reappointed or re-approved on a regular basis of some kind.

Unfortunately, the judiciary has become as politicized as everything else. Far too often judges are unable to put aside their own political opinions when making decisions on the law. You do see it happen sometimes, but much more frequent are seemingly "wrong" decisions which obviously follow the judge's political beliefs. This is further complicated by a population which often has problems understanding what "right" is. Look at how difficult the struggle for civil rights has been.

The problem with making the appointments term limited is are "good" jurists going to want to abandon a thriving career in their 40s or 50s for a temporary post? If not, we will be stuck with the "left-overs" manning our judiciary, which sounds like a bad idea. If there is an easy solution to this problem, I don't know what it is.

6590 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo