Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6669 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Sad

What a major PITA. In hindsight, were there any warning signs recently? Best of luck in getting a satisfactory result in dealing with the cleanup, the fix, and with the contractor.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 09:00 Mr. Tact

Yeah, well -- unfortunately humans as a whole are quite a distance from being the benevolent multitude we would hope for. Consequently, even our honest attempts at a "fair" governance are less than perfect. There are dips here and there, and it seems we may be in one now -- but overall things are getting better as the centuries pass. Let's just hope we don't self destruct literally before we get it all figured out...  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 08:10 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 16:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:38:
It's Cutter...
(redacted)

Starting to see how that works? There's zero negative connotation to any of then except what you choose to apply to them. Stop being such whiny little snowflakes already.
Not quite sure why you quoted me Cutter, I essentially gave you a pass. Not because you deserved it, but because you're enough of a troll I didn't think it was worth the effort/trouble Beamer took.

You're right there are a lot of whiny, politically correct, snowflakes running around being offended by stuff they probably shouldn't notice. However, that doesn't mean you are allowed to use language which is commonly believed/held to be racial slurs. Check yourself.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 08:01 Mr. Tact

As Churchill said, “Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 19:53 Mr. Tact

Wow, this is weird. I really don't know what to make of it. Hoax believers convincing themselves they aren't being hoaxed?

Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 17:02 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 16:50:
I've considered buying a new one off an on for a few years now, and while I can afford one, there are literally a thousand other things I can spend the difference in price on - boat (and I have been seriously considering getting a new sailboat once again for several years now), travel, etc.
I've always consider this an interesting issue. There are many people on "never buy a new car" or the "always buy a new car" schools of thought. Personally, I've done both in different situations. I've bought four cars used, and 3 new.

Although I could make an argument for 2 or 2.5 for the new. In 2005, I bought a brand new 2006 Nissan Altima, two years later for reasons I won't bother to go into now, Nissan offered to buy back my 2006 Altima for a very attractive price. So, I took them up on the offer and turned around and purchased a 2008 Altima, which I am still driving.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 16, 2017, 15:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 13:47:
They've also gone into finance, pushing around imaginary money to generate more imaginary money. But yeah, all the silicon valley companies sucking up the best engineers to build out internet cash generating machines is a bit of a waste.
True. Ever see Margin Call? It is basically The Big Short from a slightly different perspective. In it, Zachary Quinto is a member of the "risk management" department at a nameless Wall Street firm. The premise of the film is Quinto's character is the first person to figure out the trading model they've been using to trade the mortgage investment vehicles doesn't work any more. The rest of the film is about what the firm does with the information. Which is basically to start the fire sale of mortgage based commodities triggering the 2007/2008 meltdown.

When brought to a meeting with the boss of his boss he is asked what his background is. He says he holds a PhD in Engineering with a specialty in propulsion. He is then asked what a "specialty in propulsion" is, replies his thesis was "A study on the ways friction ratios effect steering outcomes in aeronautical use under reduced gravity loads". The boss says, "So you are a rocket scientist?" Quinto responds, "I was." The boss asks, "How did you end up here?" Quino says, "Well, it's all just numbers really, just changing what you are adding up. And to speak freely, the money here is considerably more attractive."

I think that pretty much says it all...

Oh, and both those films are worth seeing IMHO.

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 16, 2017, 14:32 Mr. Tact

yonder wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 14:00:
why did people ever ACTUALLY believe Silicon Valley was any different?
Money. Simple as that.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 16, 2017, 13:25 Mr. Tact

The Wired article reminds me of something I heard/read recently. I don't think it was here on Blue's so I'll post it.

Forty years ago the best minds in technology were doing things like working at NASA doing the Voyager probes, or creating the things which led to the computer technology which is so common place now. But today's best minds in technology work on generating more clicks, more ad revenue. It is a complete and total waste of the most important resource we have. And it is all done in pursuit of the almighty dollar and often at the expense of the normal, everyday, consumers. It is really is quite depressing to think about...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 12:38 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:34:
Stingy doesn't necessarily mean not wealthy.
Actually, stingy helps lead to wealthy.

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 16, 2017, 12:32 Mr. Tact

I've occasionally wondered what the US Congress might look like if there were four or more relatively equal strength political parties. It is really designed for majority rule and if no party had a majority... let's just say we might actually end up with common sense showing through a bit more often.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon -- certainly not within my lifetime.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 11:38 Mr. Tact

It's Cutter...  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 16, 2017, 11:02 Mr. Tact

Won't matter. There will always be large corporations looking to stuff their coffers by screwing over the consumers. It will be that way until we become a post-scarcity economy which isn't going to happen for a few hundred years at a minimum, possibly thousands of years. Something like exists in Iain Banks' The Culture would be nice. Unfortunately, if it ever happens, we won't be around for it.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 09:36 Mr. Tact

Clarke and Asimov are awesome. Heinlein is good, but I personally feel he's a step below the other two. Clarke wrote what is probably the best short story I've ever read. Rescue Party. Amazingly, it is also the first one he ever sold.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 09:30 Mr. Tact

The title of the article is misleading. Shocking, I know. The password manager isn't forced on you in any way. The only way you can be compromised is by loading your passwords into the application. Win10 has plenty of bad things about it, there is no reason to exaggerate the minor ones.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 22:29 Mr. Tact

Numinar wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 21:37:
London could still be the center of world trade and finance if they didn't blow it all on the WW.
Err, without looking into it, I am willing to bet the reason London is no longer the center of world trade and finance has little to nothing to do with World War I expenditures. However, I'd be willing to entertain the possibility of being wrong if you can point to something indicating otherwise...

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 22:26 Mr. Tact

Seems to me someone was being stupid. I absolutely guarantee you I can move any amount of money you want by check, across the country, safely, even if the package disappears. Just use a certified bank check (also called a cashier's check) and have it made out for deposit only to the bank account of whomever you are sending the money to. If the package disappears, have the bank void the check, and issue another. Easy, peasy.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 16:34:
Alabama has the worst poverty in the developed world
Yep. I lived in Montgomery for 3.5 years. And while I only witnessed this level of poverty twice personally, the existence of people living this way is common knowledge down there. I've told people for years "it is a different world down there". But few people realize how different it is...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 09:33 Mr. Tact

As opposed to when.. what? Has this ever not been a possibility?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 09:30 Mr. Tact

I was so disappointed by TFA I doubt I will manage to get to the theater for this iteration. I'll just wait for it to hit the movie channels.  

6669 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo