Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6570 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 08:41 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 03:26:
Dog Owners Live Longer.

More love, more exercise, and less stress. You'll live longer by checking all three boxes.
I like dogs, but this story is so much bologna. It isn't having a dog which lets "dog owners live longer" it is the fact they walk the dog. Walking gives them exercise, which simultaneously reduces stress, which leads to better health and longer life, statistically. If you get a dog and your kid always walks it, you never do -- then you'll get little to no benefit.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Loot Box Stories of the Day
24. Re: Loot Box Stories of the Day Nov 26, 2017, 08:36 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 03:37:
The second scenario, however, will absolutely be classified as gambling, once governments get their shit together.
I wouldn't hold my breath on governments getting their shit together...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2017, 14:49 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 13:51:
I keep waiting for my 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor to die so I can make the excuse for something like this.
Yeah, I've had two 1900x1200 monitors in use for a number of years now and while I occasionally consider upgrading to a single 40 incher or something, I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

News Comments > One Hour Star Citizen Video
36. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 25, 2017, 13:04 Mr. Tact

Flatline wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 12:49:
Yeah I've given up on the idea of being able to ever run this game.
"Assumes facts not in evidence." ie.. that the game is ever released.

News Comments > Loot Box Stories of the Day
12. Re: Loot Box Stories of the Day Nov 24, 2017, 21:17 Mr. Tact

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:27:
Apologies if posted previously, but I just finished watching a great video on this subject and EA's role in developing the practice and thought I'd share it.
Interesting watch. However I think he is overly optimistic about the pending end of "Wilson loot boxes" and prediction of Andrew Wilson's departure from being CEO of EA. That said, he might be right -- I hope he is.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 13:56 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:37:
No, of course not.
If you have a teeny weeny SSD you just want to get everything off of it that you can. Plus some of the things mentioned in those articles were written more to protect the limited writes of some older ssd's.
Assuming that most gamers have 8-16+ gigs of ram (and more than one drive), a page file goes unused and you could even turn it off, YMMV.
Okay, cool. Good to know I didn't miss anything, I should be good with my 1 TB SSD and 32G of RAM.

News Comments > More Boxing with Loot Boxing
18. Re: More Boxing with Loot Boxing Nov 24, 2017, 12:37 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 12:35:
To say things can't happen... Draft Kings and the like were a lot mightier two years ago, with major investors behind it. They got neutered due to behaviors and are now a shell.
Really? I knew there had been a big stink about them and a couple of states had classified it as gambling, but I thought overall they were still going strong. Interesting...

58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 12:13 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 11:19:
make sure trim is enabled, hibernation is disabled and page file is not on the ssd
Hadn't heard the "don't put the page file on the ssd" comment previously. So, is this saying a PC with a single SSD and no other drives is a bad idea? Sure seems like lots of PCs with configurations like that are being sold, but then that doesn't mean much does it. If it is a bad idea, it would just generate more ssd sales for them...

29. Re: Young woman raises over $160K for homeless veteran Nov 24, 2017, 10:17 Mr. Tact

panbient wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 09:10:
The article could have been clearer about it but yeah... I think your cynicism is overtaking their weak editing.
I hope you are correct.

News Comments > Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier
13. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 24, 2017, 02:06 Mr. Tact

I have to say that's one thing I am very thankful for, not getting screwed by my employer when they laid me off. Especially since some of my co-workers were getting screwed during the same set of layoffs. I never did figure out how they determined who to screw and who not to.

To all the staff at Gazillion, I wish the best of luck in finding a better job, soon.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2017, 01:34 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:59:
I keep posting this, but you can't remind people enough: Major Study Finds The US Is An Oligarchy
Since the invention of currency the rich have always had a large advantage. Just look at ancient Rome or ancient Egypt. This isn't likely to change any time soon -- certainly not in our lifetimes.

Heck even in the early US, "Barons of Industry" had major influence on government policy making. I'm not sure if "the top 1%" has more influence now then they did before, or if we just know more about it now than we used to. All we can do is keep fighting it. The alternative is giving up.

News Comments > More Boxing with Loot Boxing
9. Re: More Boxing with Loot Boxing Nov 24, 2017, 01:22 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 01:16:
Lootbox progression has been in gaming since the beginning...

Ask your grandpa about how he used to ROLL THE DIE to find out what loot he got playing DnD.

Give me a fucking break. Luck, Chance. These mechanics are fundamental to gaming, and have been engrained for over 40 years.
Totally misses the point. You didn't have to cough up $5 to roll those dice. The complaint isn't RNG sucks. The complaint is having to pay extra to even get a RNG roll. And the fact progression is sometimes essentially locked behind a payment requirement.

21. Re: Young woman raises over $160K for homeless veteran Nov 23, 2017, 23:50 Mr. Tact

Maybe it is just the cynic in me, but this story seems to have a major hitch in it, from the article:
...Wanting to repay him for his kindness, she started a GoFundMe page to share the story and raise funds for him.

She has since taken him essentials to stay warm and repaid him for the gas, and her GoFundMe page has raised more than $160,000 far more than her $10,000 goal. She wrote that she would like to use the funds to help him rent an apartment, get a reliable vehicle and cover four to six months' worth of expenses.
You'd think $160k should last him 3-4 years, not 4-6 months. Maybe the 4-6 months figure was based on money actually received vs. pledged... ?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 19:23 Mr. Tact

No problem, Rigs. Last year was a pretty big anomaly, the team has sucked since 1997. But, they've been my team since 1972... whatca' gonna do?  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 18:41 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Apparently the Cowboys have fallen and can't get back up. For the first time in their history they just went 10 consecutive quarters without scoring a TD. Cry  

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Shutting Down
14. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 23, 2017, 00:37 Mr. Tact

EricFate wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 21:16:
Oh, and remember that Dec 31 deadline? They lied. The servers shut down in two days right before the office gets shuttered. Also, employees will not paid out for any PTO accrual, given any severance, and their medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

Happy Thanksgiving!
*ugh* Quite the holiday present.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 00:36 Mr. Tact

NKD is right, there is only so much regulations can do. Are there people who "don't know they are eating poorly"? Probably a few, but that number is so small as to be insignificant. The vast majority simply don't care, myself included. When you go to a restaurant and get an oversized portion, you don't have to eat it all. It comes down to will power and personal responsibility.  

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
27. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:45 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:26:
I've never considered buying a loot box in any game. Just sayin'...

Updates database on this end.
To say what? Don't bother with this guy he won't buy the micro-transaction? Hope so.

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
19. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:26 Mr. Tact

I've never considered buying a loot box in any game. Just sayin'...  

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 10:02 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 02:27:
I think that 120 in a Porsche feels a lot different than 120 in a Camry. That's why I'm wondering what she was driving. It was not to explain away her misdeed, just pure curiosity.
Yes and no. You're right it would be easier to get to 120 mph in a Porsche than in a Camry and in comparison it would almost feel effortless in the Porsche. But speed is speed, and when the ground starts moving past you at over 80 mph you'd have to be significantly inattentive to not notice. Unless you were driving across the Bonneville Salt Flats or something...

6570 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo