Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5511 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 18:26 Mr. Tact

Certainly it is a cheaper one...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 13:05 Mr. Tact

Yeah, it's pretty easy for stuff to pile up. Especially if you have the room to store it without it really getting in your way. Say like if you are single and living in a 2,000 sq ft ranch...

Six months seems a bit short, I've definitely gone looking for something that I hadn't touched in more than six months. And something things are simply exempt, like books.

16. Re: Playboy Feb 14, 2017, 11:59 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 11:48:
Fixed. On the other hand, can they be blamed for believing "people only read it for the articles" since men have been saying it for decades?
Yeah, I don't know. I have mixed feelings about it. I subscribed for a couple of decades. And there were months when I didn't look at the pictorials, and months when I only looked at the pictorials. I cancelled when they dropped the nudity -- it just didn't seem "right" (whatever that means in this context).

On the one hand I wanted to give them credit for being willing to change their minds after 50 years of saying. "This is who we are." On the other hand, I didn't really see what it gained them.

*shrug*

They lost me forever, not going to bother re-subscribing.

5. Re: Playboy Feb 14, 2017, 10:16 Mr. Tact

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 10:07:
lol. "Maybe not having pictures of naked women is a bad idea."
Yeah, when they did it last March I thought, "That is insane. They are throwing away their identity." I guess someone in power at the magazine finally realized that.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 14, 2017, 08:44 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 04:31:
Can someone explain to me why you need to unlock your phone at the border?
The same reason the TSA asks you to remove your shoes at the airport, the illusion of security.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2017, 08:41 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 03:58:
KX, love you man, but the more you explain, the more it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself, not us.
Yes. Well said.

63. Re: On Sale Feb 14, 2017, 08:38 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 01:20:
Conversely, if an atom has split the result is a nuclear explosion, which is what makes up most stars in the known universe.
Sorry can't let this go by... this is exactly backward. Stars create energy through nuclear fusion, normally hydrogen atoms into helium atoms although late in the star's life other atoms are created.
All of it is organized. All of it is logical. There is math behind it all. The only conclusion I can come up with is none of it is random, and it must have had a powerful intelligence behind it. The universe and everything in it provide the evidence that God exists even though I cannot see him because "[God's] invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward."
So your argument appears to come down to, since things are logical there must be an intelligence behind it. This is not good logic. Many of the things you mentioned have been explained, some haven't. Certainly we don't seem to be close to understanding the nature of Dark Matter or Dark Energy. Although support for Dark Matter being composed of WIMPs seems to be growing.

I agree our situation here on Earth seems overly lucky. The right distance from the galactic center, the right distance from our star, having a single large satellite to stabilize our tilt and rotation. However it makes more sense to me we are here because of those conditions. Not to say, we can't be that lucky someone or something had to have helped. You offer no evidence. You are simply stating interesting scientific information some of which we have very good explanations for, and some of which we have less explanation for.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 14, 2017, 00:21 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 23:44:
You say that like it's a bad thing. Biker
Lulz, my immediate thought -- "What is sex magic?"

Goggle says...

"Sex magic (sometimes spelled sex magick) is any type of sexual activity used in magical, ritualistic or otherwise religious and spiritual pursuits. One practice of sex magic is using the energy of sexual arousal or orgasm with visualization of a desired result. A premise of sex magic is the concept that sexual energy is a potent force that can be harnessed to transcend one's normally perceived reality."

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 20:40 Mr. Tact

Acleacius wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 16:25:
Anyone ever deal with Win 7 and upgrading hardware? Apparently it's some kind of drm nonsense. I need to change my motherboard and RAM, so I'm a bit concerned.
I did a RAM and hard drive upgrade a couple of months ago, it was easy and went as smooth as glass -- no issues. However, I am having an issue with upgrading the video card -- not sure if the issue is Win7 or the card. My machine hung on the manufacturer's flash screenshot when I just tried inserting the card... Going to try disabling the on-board video and see if that helps... *shrug*

53. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 17:42 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 17:06:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 00:56:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 23:09:
This is a personal attack on my faith and beliefs and has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.
"faith and beliefs".. that's the problem. When your argument is based on faith and beliefs, you have no argument. You can have faith and belief in the tooth fairy if you want. And while you are free to believe whatever you desire, and in the US have freedom to speak about it, it doesn't provide any validity to your beliefs other than establishing the existence of those beliefs.

You do not understand the point. Faith and belief is a part of what makes a person who they are, and it is not just religious in nature. For example, you have "faith and belief" the sun will rise. Why? Well, apparently because the evidence shows it will. People have "faith and hope" that their efforts of saving for retirement will lead to a relatively comfortable life. Decades of examples of people who have achieved this goal would demonstrate this to be so.

On the other hand, the Bible and Christianity are objects of someone's faith and beliefs. That is the difference. Personally attacking someone's faith and belief instead of the objects of them has no merit in a logical discussion. While they are mutually inclusion, they are also separate. I really hope you understand the difference.
So, what are the objects of your faith and beliefs it would have merit to attack? The bible?

I went back and reread a lot of this topic and I have to say, I'm not sure how we got here. If the discussion is the idea of believing in a "God" there isn't much to attack other than the belief. Did you watch the Ricky Gervais video? He really does hit the nail on the head.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 16:38 Mr. Tact

I hope the new job for Mrs. Blue is an upgrade and not a "this is all I could get" thing. Well, at least you know how to drive unlike some life long NYC residents.

Generally moving sucks just from the hassle standpoint. But getting a change of scenery can be very invigorating. You've already found a home? Be careful about Internet connectivity, especially in slightly rural areas there can be good Internet connectivity on one side of the street and not the other, quite literally.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 15:18 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 14:09:
In the end, we only deny the existence of one more god than you do.
If you destroyed every holy book in the world and waited a thousand years they wouldn't all come back and be exactly the same. If you destroyed every bit of science we have and waited a thousand years it would all come back exactly the same.
Ha! That's great. "You don't believe in 2,999 gods, I don't believe in just one more."

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 09:39 Mr. Tact

I like the "gritty" feel of "The Expanse". I think they did a pretty good job of showing what the early days of intra-solar expansion might be like. Politics, greed, and prejudice isn't going anywhere anytime soon...  

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 00:56 Mr. Tact

Kxmode, a couple of times you've said something that really hits at the core of this..
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 23:09:
This is a personal attack on my faith and beliefs and has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.
"faith and beliefs".. that's the problem. When your argument is based on faith and beliefs, you have no argument. You can have faith and belief in the tooth fairy if you want. And while you are free to believe whatever you desire, and in the US have freedom to speak about it, it doesn't provide any validity to your beliefs other than establishing the existence of those beliefs.

I don't know when, or if, humanity will ever drop this notion of religion. I suspect it can't happen without interstellar flight and the discovery of other intelligent beings. But whatever it is going to take, it can't happen soon enough.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 18:39 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 15:21:
Too bad they didn't fix that during the drought.
Uh, it is a sink hole. It happened without warning while running water down the spillway...

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 11, 2017, 00:21 Mr. Tact

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 20:20:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 20:07:
Normally I'd say, "Typically corporate" - but I don't see anything in the press release mentioning layoffs? Did I miss it?
Dude? Why not follow the link to Kotaku to read up on the layoffs?
D'OH! Didn't see the second link, only followed the one to Yahoo Finance. Should have gone with my gut reaction..

27. Re: Holy Sink Holes, Batman Feb 11, 2017, 00:18 Mr. Tact

Have you guys seen the news about the spillway for the Oroville Dam?

Saw a photo on another site with the water stopped and a worker standing in the hole.. it's easily eight feet deep, deeper in some areas...

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 10, 2017, 20:07 Mr. Tact

Normally I'd say, "Typically corporate" - but I don't see anything in the press release mentioning layoffs? Did I miss it?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 13:55 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 10:51:
Bad technique is not the fault of the tool, but of the operator.
Snowblowers leave 1/4-1/2inch of snow behind no matter what you do. If they didn't you would either have to replace the blade every time you used it... or your sidewalk. This snow quickly forms into ice from being compacted down.
While I'd agree snow blowers leave more residue than a hand shovel, on even pavement a properly adjusted snow blower leaves so little the remainder can be swept away with a straw broom easily.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 9, 2017, 16:45 Mr. Tact

Good point, it is surprising Charlie Sheen isn't a Trump spokesperson, after all he's the only person who was won as much as Trump.  

5511 Comments. 276 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo