Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6588 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2017, 08:41 Mr. Tact

Tornado video: At first I thought the forklift was going to be gone, now that would have been really impressive.

Most Expensive House: *meh* It looks okay at best. I think the builder is right about usage -- it will get treated like a hotel / vacation home. I mean who wants to walk repeatedly walk across your 5,000 sq ft master bedroom EVERY day...

ISS: The ISS is cool, and some good science has come from it, but I'm sorry -- both the Hubble Telescope and the Voyager probes beat it hands down on the list of greatest things humanity has done to date...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2017, 00:00 Mr. Tact

When you go to post, is the "Remember Me" box checked?  

14. Re: Robot Dog City Simulator. Dec 21, 2017, 14:25 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 13:20:
Speaking of dogs. If you like science fiction and you also like dogs. This book is a great read. It was written by one of the greatest sci-fi authors.
From the blurb at Amazon that does sound interesting, might have to give it a try...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 15:10 Mr. Tact

Lulz, from the NYT article:
The demand, in a resolution that its backers knew would likely offend the United States, was vetoed by the American ambassador, Nikki R. Haley. She was alone.

Even America’s staunchest allies on the 15-member Council, the most powerful body in the United Nations system, voted for the resolution.

They warned that Mr. Trump’s Dec. 6 announcement about Jerusalem, which upended decades of American policy, threatened to subvert the effort to solve one of the world’s most intractable conflicts.

Ignoring the ostracism, Ms. Haley chastised fellow Council members after the midday vote, calling it “an embarrassment” and arguing that Mr. Trump’s decision two weeks ago was a “U.S. recognition of the obvious.”
I agree there is an embarrassment. The worst part? Most Trump voters would probably say this kind of thing is one of the reasons they voted for him.

13. Re: The schoolyard bully Dec 20, 2017, 14:58 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:45:
dRumpf threatened to cut off aid to any country that votes in favor of a resolution at the United Nations General Assembly denouncing his ill-fated decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Wonder if he cut his wives & kids' allowances when they argued with him?
What would amuse me would be if because of his threat, there is a unanimous vote against him. That would be great.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:54 Mr. Tact

Good ole Billy -- one of the few musicians who had their career derailed by a music video... (not this video )  

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:46 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 09:18:
People don't have to agree with the entire Republican platform to vote that way, the same way I didn't have to agree with the whole Democratic platform when I voted for Bill.
Actually, this is part of the problem. Most of the people in Alabama who voted for Roy Moore did not do it because they thought he was a good guy or thought all the women were lying. They were voting for him because he is a God fearing, abortion hating, Republican.

People get this idea in their heads that they are going to vote based on the one or two issues which are important to them. After all, the candidates are supposed to represent them, right? While in theory there is nothing wrong with this point of view, the problem is people in both parties ignore what should be fatal flaws in the candidate from their party, simply because the candidate of the other party doesn't hold their view on their one or two "important" issues they are basing their vote on.

People need to take a wider view and realize they are being manipulated into voting for people who simply say what the voter wants to hear. The number of politicians who have spouted "family values" or "honesty" only he find out they are cheating on their spouses and/or taking bribes are nearly uncountable. Now you can't always know when they are lying through their teeth. But if you look at their voting records, it is often clear as day.

News Comments > Get Oxenfree for Free
6. Re: Get Oxenfree for Free Dec 19, 2017, 22:53 Mr. Tact

Is it bad that I initially read the headline as "Get Oxycodone for Free"?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 22:34 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 22:19:
The natural reaction of anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid is going to be, fuck you Comcast, give me the 105 MB I fucking paid for.
Actually, this is part of the problem. The consumer bandwidth is completely oversold. Comcast may have "sold" me 75m download speed for $49.99 a month. But the reality is if all the people connected on my shared node/region/block/whatever try to stream a HD Netflix film at the same time, we won't be able to. And generally, people want to do this at the same time, after dinner.

Unfortunately, the only real solution to that problem is to bill by usage instead of a flat monthly fee. Which might be reasonable, but isn't likely to happen.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 18, 2017, 20:07 Mr. Tact

edaciousx wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 18:43:
I cant wait to vote for trump again in 2020.
Why don't you just go meet up with Roy Moore at the mall and leave us in peace. Thanks.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 20:04 Mr. Tact

Timmeh wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 19:08:
there are new "monopolies" all the time.

but you cant have Netflix or Disney hogging up all the bandwidth and them not having to pay for it.
Please explain to me how they are not paying for their bandwidth. Are ISPs providing free Internet access to Netflix and Disney? Now THAT would be a story...

Your comments show you either have no grasp of the actual facts about NN or, more likely, you are just a simple troll.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 19:59 Mr. Tact

Just don't know if I should be laughing or crying anymore:

Senator Bob Corker says he hasn't read the tax bill which he said he'll vote for.

Why hadn't he read it? Because he wanted plausible deniability to the provision added after his previous "no" vote, which would directly effect his personal taxes. Gotta hand to these guys, they really have steel balls...

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2017, 20:10.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 15:45 Mr. Tact

This discussion reminds me of one of my "fun" stories. When I was setting up the finances to buy my house (get a mortgage) one of the things I did was sell a residential lot I owned which I had been planning to build on, but decided otherwise. Anyway, at the closing for the lot the guy brought a check written from a business account, not a cashier's check. This was a problem for me because I wanted/needed the money for my down payment and the close for the house I was buying was happening Monday, this was Thursday. The check would not clear in time.

So, I went to the bank the business account was from, signed the back of the check, and gave it to a cashier along with my driver's license. The cashier initially started to process the check, but then he noticed the amount, $38,000, and literally froze. He stood there frozen for a good 20 seconds at least, clearly thinking, and then said to me, "Did you want this in cash?" I almost laughed out loud, but I managed to hold back and say, "I'll take cash, but a cashier's check would be fine too."

He called someone, (presumably his manager) who called a third person, and they huddled for a minute or two discussing the situation. From what I could gather, apparently the buyer had transferred money from another account into the business account to cover this check. But the transfer had not processed yet. Normally, that transfer would process before the check came in, but in this case it had not. They eventually concluded, the money the account was coming from was there, so they knew the transfer would work. So, the decided they would allow me to take a cashier's check on the amount.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 14:13 Mr. Tact

Well that's silly. Designating a check to deposit to a specific account is something you would think the banks would like for security reasons...  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 23:48 Mr. Tact

LOL! And the 'boys pull it out too! Great week! Grin

Let index-card-gate begin!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
17. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 23:23 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 13:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:52:
For some reason am I reminded of the story about popcorn favoring on microwave popcorn being an issue...
Only to find out the one person having a problem ate several bags of the popcorn everyday. And always inhaled deeply from the popcorn bag just after removing it from the microwave and opening the bag...
But it was not just one anecdotal person. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115208/
So, not so much a consumer problem as an industrial problem. Interesting.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 19:46 Mr. Tact

Whew! Both New England and San Francisco pull out last second wins. That really helped...  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
15. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 12:52 Mr. Tact

For some reason am I reminded of the story about popcorn flavoring on microwave popcorn being an issue...

Only to find out the one person having a problem ate several bags of the popcorn everyday. And always inhaled deeply from the popcorn bag just after removing it from the microwave and opening the bag...

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 17:00.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 17, 2017, 11:38 Mr. Tact

How high can Bitcoin go before the fall? It will continue to be interesting to watch even after it does fall.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Sad

What a major PITA. In hindsight, were there any warning signs recently? Best of luck in getting a satisfactory result in dealing with the cleanup, the fix, and with the contractor.

6588 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo