Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5867 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 13:26 Mr. Tact

A 10" concrete subfloor?! *sheesh*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2017, 09:14 Mr. Tact

Yes, Nate Silver is not a pollster. Yes, Nate Silver made a reasonably accurate prediction on the overall presidential vote. And I believe the reports which indicate under 100,000 votes across three states would have swung the election to Clinton.

That said, the point I am attempting to make is the fact things are "close" in those elections is inconsequential as long as GOP maintains control. And winning a House seat here or there isn't going to change things. It is going to take a sweeping win in the mid term elections for the Ds to gain the ability to really stop the GOP from doing what they want. And I haven't seen any indication the country is being swept in way to accomplish that.

We are living in the pain of the 2010 census. The GOP made a significant effort to get control of the district drawing bodies by 2010 so they could redraw all the districts to their advantage after the census. It was a well throughout and well executed plan which has effectively given them control of both houses of Congress despite losing the consolidated vote in most states. Those districts are still in place, with one or two exceptions.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 23:21 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 23:09:
His support is dropping rapidly, even among hardcore supporters according to the latest polls.

An he is pulling the GOP down with him. Two special election examples: GA06 is an even race while Trump won it easily last Nov. And Trump won MT by 20 points, but the GOP candidate only won by 6 points against a flawed Dem candidate last week.
I've heard various talking heads say things of this nature and I feel it is an overly optimistic point of view. It is so similar to the talk I heard when people were saying Trump could not win the general election. There really is no way to know. I don't trust polls from anyone, including Nate Silver. I'm over 50 and I have never been contacted by a pollster.

I'll believe this point of view if/when the Ds make significant gains in the mid term elections.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2017, 23:32.

News Comments > They Are Billions Announced
2. Re: They Are Billions Announced Jun 1, 2017, 21:49 Mr. Tact

It looks to have potential. I look forward to the reviews..  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 19:40 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 19:21:
Does he still have support amongst moderate conservatives, the people who didn't vote for him in the primaries? The people who thought he'd at least surround himself with competent people and 'drain the swamp'?
It is nearly impossible to know for sure -- only the results of the mid term elections will be definitive. However, I would guess he has lost very little support. Which means he still has support from about 46% of the country...unfortunately, that's sufficient to maintain control.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 19:03 Mr. Tact

Most everyone who voted for him is thrilled. He is doing what he said he would do. And FWIW, take it with a grain of salt, and any other cliché that applies -- Exxon's public position was we should not pull out of the accord.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 21:19 Mr. Tact

Well, I'm certainly not an expert, but I play one on the Internet... just kidding.

From everything I've read on the subject, some alcoholics still "crave" alcohol years after they've stopped drinking it -- hence those continuing AA meetings. I've never been there, so I can't give a personal account of how it feels but it would seem clear the physical addiction is the "easy" part.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 20:05 Mr. Tact

Uh, so what are you saying about handling the psychological aspects of addiction?  

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 19:54 Mr. Tact

bigspender wrote on May 31, 2017, 19:50:
Smoked for about 10 years. I read a bit about addictions first, but it came down to this:

3 weeks cold turkey and your brain changes the chemical reward for that action. You can quit almost any addiction this way, even hard drugs like heroin.
Yes, that will get you past the physical addictions. However, the harder part for most people are the psychological ones. As I suspect most alcoholics could tell you...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2017, 19:50 Mr. Tact

I flew 2-3 times a month for work in mid 90s for about 2 years. I last flew about 5 years ago, I'm reasonably certain I never will again. I haven't seen or heard anything good or better about airports since prior to 9/11. It just continues to get worse and worse. Always amazes me to hear the number of travelers is up...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 19:33 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 19:15:
And regardless if the gender was reversed it's still excessive. It was consensual. There's a reason we start puberty that young. I lost my virginity at 13. By the time I was 16 - which is the legal age in most countries - I was having sex regularly. Only in America are people under 21 too young to have sex - but going to war and prison is just fine however.
Congratulations? I'm pretty sure the reason we start puberty at the age we do is because for a couple of million years a human who made it to 30 was very old. In the modern age (in the first world, anyway) I'd say it is reasonable for people to wait until 18 to begin having sex. Hell, a good portion of people can't handle the emotional entanglements in their late 20s let alone their late teens...

Edit: For the record, yes I know the fossil record for modern Homo-sapiens only dates about 125k years or so. I was being more "general"...

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 13:10 Mr. Tact

One of the best decisions of my life, never had a single puff. Was never really even tempted.

The tobacco industry pulled one of the largest con jobs in the history of the planet in their early days. And for the most part, got away with it. Sure they "paid billions" in settlements, but in the end that was just a write off for them and they made (and continue to make) so many more billions.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2017, 09:53 Mr. Tact

If you want the top end, latest and greatest, maybe you should wait a bit:

Intel unveils X-series platform

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2017, 12:53 Mr. Tact

What I love is the mug shots of politicians who almost without exception, smile. Yeah, like you are happy in that moment...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 29, 2017, 08:45 Mr. Tact

Agent-Zero wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:38:
it kinda sucks because now there are no brick and mortar local stores that carry DIY crap like resistors and capacitors and wires and all that shit
Fry's has that stuff, but they have a lot fewer locations. Nearest one to me is over 100 miles away and I live in a town of over 100k.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 28, 2017, 23:46 Mr. Tact

Ha! -- just bought a cable at a RadioShack a few weeks ago when I didn't feel like waiting for one to ship to me. I was a bit surprised they were still there. I wonder if the store I purchased from will survive...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 20:55 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2017, 18:58:
It sucks but there is no other choice for gaming. With that said be sure and read this recent tidbit: Security Analyst Concludes Windows 10 Enterprise "Tracks Too Much"
I don't want to hijack the topic into a bitchfest about Win10, but yeah it sucks. Basically Microsoft won. They've done something we shouldn't have allowed but we failed to complain loudly enough to stop them. Unfortunately any argument about it at this point, is moot.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 19:20 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2017, 18:58:
  • Home and Professional users are much worse off due to limitations of some settings and lack of an IT staff. I’m not going to bother with captures from those systems, this has already been shared by many others. Spoiler: it’s bad.
  • As I understand it, and please tell me if I am wrong, there really isn't any other practical choice. From what I can tell even if you could get an Enterprise version -- which you pointed out still needs "corrections" -- there is a significant annual fee. So, it's pretty much Win10 Pro, or the other insane choice, go Mac. Which frankly, is even less palatable to me than Win10.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    5. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2017, 17:00 Mr. Tact

Saw the Factorio guys announce they passed 1 million units in sales. Far less than it should be, can't believe more people aren't playing Factorio.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 16:59 Mr. Tact

Good luck JD, hopefully you can resurrect the PC.

I'm past due for an update myself -- but my objections to Win10 (whether or not they are valid) so limits my choices that I have been delaying...

5867 Comments. 294 pages. Viewing page 31.
    < Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo