Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4704 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
201. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2016, 23:49 Mr. Tact

I'm enjoying the transition news. Funny as hell.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2016, 23:49 Mr. Tact

You sure getting grumpy in your old age, Bats.

Oh, and for the seven years I took it, I never got sick from it.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2016, 18:10 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 15:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 13:19:
I probably need to start getting flu shots again. I've only ever gotten them when I was in the military. I justify this to myself based on, as far as I know, I've only gotten the flu once. That, or my immune system is good enough that it never feels worse than a minor cold. But as I am getting older now... I should probably should bend to better practices...

Is this military mandatory vaccinations?

It was when I was in, probably still is.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2016, 13:19 Mr. Tact

I probably need to start getting flu shots again. I've only ever gotten them when I was in the military. I justify this to myself based on, as far as I know, I've only gotten the flu once. That, or my immune system is good enough that it never feels worse than a minor cold. But as I am getting older now... I should probably should bend to better practices...  

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2016, 07:55 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I get pretty loose with my sentence structure on the Internet. Oh well...  

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 20:38 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 14:11:
If it required a foreign language, it was a BA, not a BS - many schools offer both options for CS. And this isn't a bad thing. Being able to demonstrate language proficiency is becoming increasingly important in nearly all fields.
You'd think so -- but no. It was a BS, hence the stupidity. And I disagree that being proficient in a second language is important or necessary for most careers. And frankly, my brain just isn't wired for it. Tried in HS and college and it WOULD NOT TAKE.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Season one of B5 is much better the second time around, when you can see all the subtle foreshadowing. Yeah, DS9 did get off to a slow start, it seems to take those Trek writers a season or two to get their act together -- same thing happened in ST:TNG, the first two seasons blew chunks.  

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Yeah, BobBob, that's the spin. But in reality, the vast majority of programs don't teach people to think. And what I was actually directing my ire towards is the requirements which are supposed to provide the "well-rounded" education you are referring to, but most of the time are nothing but a total waste of time and effort.

Yes, there is some value in taking courses outside your main field of study. But the emphasis on this is too great. And sometimes is down right stupid.

An example: I investigated a degree completion program at the local community college. The program allowed you to take courses which were consider to be the same as taking courses at an area four year university. So, this is a program specifically designed at evening, adult learners, finishing a 4 year degree, in the center of the US (Illinois). Yet the Computer Science curriculum has a requirement for 4 years of a foreign language. Dumbfounding.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 09:30 Mr. Tact

Oh and for the record, my personal belief is a four year degree is over valued for most career paths. For specific careers, yes it is really needed -- for say, civil engineers or medical careers. But for decades I have considered 4 year degrees as simply "proof" you can push your way through bullshit to achieve a goal. For a large majority of careers nothing you learn in school is really applicable.  

16. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 15, 2016, 09:23 Mr. Tact

shiho wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 02:06:
They mapped out 5 seasons already, which is always a bad sign,
Not always. When JMS mapped the full five seasons of Babylon 5 it was great. Well, except for the fact that the network gave up on it and made him cut it short. But having story arcs that cover entire seasons or entire series can be a strong plus. Another good example is Star Trek DS9. Excellent long story arcs that really tied the show together over seven seasons.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 19:11 Mr. Tact

AAS, no bachelor's.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 11:11 Mr. Tact

Totally disagree. I love science fiction, have read hundreds of science fiction novels -- and I thought it was great. Now, that said -- I'm sure some sci-fi fans won't like it. *shrug* To each, his own.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2016, 22:09 Mr. Tact

There is a possible spoiler factor with the film, nin. So, avoid information about it as best you can.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2016, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Saw "Arrival" yesterday -- I thought it was excellent. YMMV.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2016, 21:08 Mr. Tact

Bats, I don't know if that was directed at me or not -- but whether it was or wasn't I believe it would be asking a lot of anyone supportive of the Obama administration to not closely watch a GOP administration's performance in these areas. The GOP has been relentless in pummeling the Obama administration about the growing national debt.

Which I think is totally inappropriate anyway.. The economy was a wagon on fire going down a steep hill when Obama was sworn in. But whatever, it is what it is. And given their constant complaints for the last eight years, it is reasonable for the Ds to be watching this closely to see how well the GOP can perform in this area.

32. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 13, 2016, 20:21 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 10:17:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 09:05:
I'm guessing a Trump administration will at best, have a minor decrease (say less than 15%) in deficit spending and debt will almost undoubtedly continue to rise.

His tax plan is conservatively projected to grow the debt by 4-6 trillion over ten years, with less conservative estimates suggesting more on the order of 10 trillion. Toss in the promised infrastructure and defense spending increases, and it's clear that this will be a government that does not care about deficit spending or debts. Which honestly I'm somewhat okay with, at least with regard to, for example, borrowing to spend on infrastructure, but the hypocrisy of a GOP that goes along with it will truly be something to see.

I did say, "at best".

I wouldn't dare to actually predict what might happen given the way Trump has ping ponged around the issues. But barring a sudden and nearly unprecedented period of growth -- it seems reasonable to assume the debt will go up no matter what he does.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2016, 09:05 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 07:50:
I am utterly confused as to those that are wearing the safety pins and worried about their future. The President doesn't have as much power as you think he does.....
Tell that to the GOP who has accused Obama of acting like a dictator.

As far as the possible damage Trump (or anyone else) could cause as President... Yes, there are certainly limitations. Trump won't bring down our democracy as much as the protesters yell or think it. But he can and probably will appoint at least two SCOTUS positions, possibly more. Two would make the court a 6-3 majority for the conservatives. Which will impact at least an entire generation's worth of court decisions.

There are some silly or stupid government regulations that need to go. The problem is Trump (and the GOP in general) will remove all kinds of regulations which do make sense in the same process.

I'll be interested in watching the national debt and budget deficit numbers. The GOP have pounded the Obama administration endlessly on that. Despite the fact when past GOP administrations held both houses and the presidency the debt went up. I'm guessing a Trump administration will at best, have a minor decrease (say less than 15%) in deficit spending and debt will almost undoubtedly continue to rise.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2016, 22:06 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 20:37:
I read an interesting article today that said the MLB is taking the World Series from Chicago and giving it to Cleveland because Indians fans are protesting.

/snowflake logic
LOL. I dislike Trump, but what's done is done. He is the president-elect. To all those protesters I would quote Don Henley, "Get over it."

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2016, 11:27 Mr. Tact

Solid decision, I suspect you'll be happy for many years to come. Also, happy wife, happy life.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2016, 12:32.

196. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 12, 2016, 10:47 Mr. Tact

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 23:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 23:00:
Maybe so, jd -- but a win is a win. And the price of losing will be paid for decades to come.

That is true. I think we're going to find out that Trumpism is an illusion. Trump doesn't have any strongly held ideology. During the campaign, he was doing what he does in business. Bluster and bullshit, reading the room, and readjusting his bluster and bullshit for maximum effect.

Trump doesn't know enough about any given issue to have a strong opinion on it. He's extremely easily influenced by those that have access to him. What will happen is that the people that are closest to him will control who gets access to him, and thereby get their own plans put into motion.

Trump will end up presiding over an extremely conservative, establishment GOP administration. He will be a rubber stamp for the Republican Congress, and all those ideas he talked about during the campaign will be quietly discarded or re-molded into some GOP-approvable form. It's already starting, and we're only a few days in.

Well said. Whether "Trumpism" is an illusion or not is in part based on what you think that is. If you think it means a movement centered around DJT, then you are right -- that is an illusion. However, it is clear there is a large, deeply dissatisfied group of people out there. However, it seems unlikely to me DJT will actually do anything to soothe their dissatisfaction. Hence that pool of voters will continue to exist and could again rise to cause ripples in the system. That is not an illusion.

On the other hand, as I indicated earlier, the most telling thing in the election was the vote totals. Both candidates got fewer votes than the loser of the 2012 elections without a third party candidate getting vote totals of consequence ie.. this wasn't a situation like 1992 where Perot got 18% of the vote. This pretty much tells me the Ds lost this election because those people who don't always vote but were excited by Obama didn't vote this time. And that is a major problem for the Ds.

4704 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo