Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6873 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 27, 2018, 07:52 Mr. Tact

It is hard to be sure with the information provided in the article, but certainly sounds like cheating.

Someone call Guiness, Cutter is right for once...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 22:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 18:42:
As far as intelligent life in our galaxy existing concurrently with us, I think it's probable that we're the only ones. Look at our own race, we've got multiple hot running culling devices: nukes, global warming, global pollution, super bug cultivation, reckless AI development. Any one of these could result in the extinction of the human race, and our mitigation strategy is weak at best. We probably have only a few centuries left. I think it will be rare that there is a civilization that overcomes issues like these to progress.
Maybe. But it is also possible alien culture would be as alien to us as their biology. "Concurrently" is an important word... dinosaurs lasted millions of years, the only reason we could "rise up" is because they were unlucky and gotten taken out by an asteroid. And there are plenty of natural events which could wipe out a civilization. The amount of time humans have had spoken language is the tiniest of sliver of time in comparison to the age of the universe. Many civilizations could have risen and fallen before we spoke our first words.

I don't know if or when we might actually get an answer to this question. I only know I'm disappointed it is extremely likely I won't live to find out.

5. Re: Humans ‘probably only intelligent life in the Universe.’ Jun 26, 2018, 11:07 Mr. Tact

I'd like to hear more about their calculations and assumptions. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

On the one hand, the Earth is so far seemingly pretty unique. We have a large moon which stabilizes our axis tilt, provides a critical tidal processes, and most likely contributed to the planet having a large iron core. The core being critical to providing a magnetic shield to our star's emissions. Additionally, having two large gas giants in outer orbits which act as comet/asteroid collectors.

On the other hand, the numbers of star and planets are so mind numbingly large it makes it difficult to believe it hasn't happened somewhere else.

Unfortunately, it is extremely likely I will not live to know the answer to this question.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2018, 13:24.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 10:55 Mr. Tact

It will be interesting to see if Trump/Sessions attempt to step in and stop the FDA from reclassifying CBD out of the Schedule I category. I wouldn't care to predict them going either way.  

13. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 07:30 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 03:45:
Curiosity Stream has a fascinating 2-part documentary about the microscopic creatures who live on us and inside us. It definitely gave me the heebie-jeebies. But as the scientist said, "if we got rid of all microbes, we would die." Makes you keenly aware of how amazing humans are and the fragile eco-system we provide to the small beasties roaming around us.
Yeah, it is amazing and creepy at the same time. In the show I watched, there was some incredible stat about how many lifeforms there are on and in us -- I want to say it was more than number of cells we have, but that feels like it can't be right...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 16:05 Mr. Tact

First world problems... simultaneous World Cup matches are easily handled by my DVR which can record 16 shows at a time. But I can't escape the announcers and the game graphics from telling me what is going on in the other match. *sigh*  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 15:06 Mr. Tact

Excellent point, one is a protected class and the other isn't. Listen, we are on the same "side", I agree with JD:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 14:35:
The president is an unrepentant liar, racist, and misogynist, and no ethical self-respecting person or Christian should be working for him.
Although his wording is a bit sloppy, Christians aren't self respecting people? Just kidding.

Still, refusing to serve someone at a public business for their political stance seems to be a step onto the infamous "slippery slope".

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 12:06 Mr. Tact

From what he's told us it seems like kind of a "we've completed a majority of the process, not finishing would feel like a failure" situation...  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 11:10 Mr. Tact

I meant in a legal sense. While it might be more objectionable to refuse service due to someone's sexual orientation as opposed to someones opinions which are clearly a matter of choice -- I suspect legally they are the same.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 11:07 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 24, 2018, 13:32:
White House Ethics Chief: Sanders' Tweet on Restaurant Eviction Violates the Law
typical
*sigh* The left can shoot itself in the foot as well as the right.

While her tweet is probably an ethics violation because it is an official account. The conservatives win this battle. Kicking Huckabee out of the restaurant because of her political views is easily as bad as the baker refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple/wedding.

Yes, she is a loser, a liar, and lots of other things I won't bother to list. This does not give public business owners cause to refuse service.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
21. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 24, 2018, 23:14 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Jun 24, 2018, 22:54:
You know...it reminds me of another screwed up industry in this country....if only I could put my finger on it....
Politics? Clearly politicians are under paid.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2018, 20:16 Mr. Tact

I'm really looking forward to the day after Trump leaves office for many reasons but one of the smaller ones is to simply see how many tell all books get published in the following six months...  

19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 24, 2018, 20:13 Mr. Tact

Truthfully, I don't really like the "tipping system" either. Ever seen the opening of "Reservoir Dogs" -- jump to about 3:40.

But it is what it is. While I wouldn't be against paying them a living wage, there is a reasonable argument that without tips the servers would have a lot less incentive to provide "good service". Which may or may not be a valid argument. In the end, the reality is they aren't being paid even a "normal" wage, let alone a living wage. So if you don't tip, you are contributing to their "servitude" to the business.

Do you tip your bartender? That always bothered me a little more, than tipping a waitress. But I still do it, because that's the socially excepted practice. *shrug*

I do recall there was some famous chef/restaurateur who didn't like it and was trying to eliminate it in some of his restaurants. Somewhere in the northeast, probably NYC, possibly Boston. But these were high end places, so people were paying high prices already anyway. Probably works in a situation like that, but I don't see it working at your local steakhouse...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2018, 19:48 Mr. Tact

Well, if you had to leave early I guess you are looking to change neighborhoods...  

News Comments > Valve Shuts Down OPSkins CS:GO Trades
1. Re: Valve Shuts Down CS:GO Trades Jun 24, 2018, 19:47 Mr. Tact

"A fool and his money are soon parted." I just wish I'd been with the ones parting with some of the money... stupidity at its' finest.  

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 24, 2018, 17:14 Mr. Tact

necrosis wrote on Jun 24, 2018, 16:35:
The amount of times I honsit to God tipped someone because of tip worthy service can be counted on one hand. The rest of the time they just did their job.
Really? You eat at lousy restaurants. How often do you eat out?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 23, 2018, 11:01 Mr. Tact

That's pretty rude. Then again, the odds are most of the people with the cash flow to afford buying a $10,000 Apple watch probably abandoned it for some other shiny object since then...  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Welcome Back Weekend
3. Re: World of Warcraft Welcome Back Weekend Jun 22, 2018, 16:47 Mr. Tact

Huh, wonder what prompted the change, I resubbed for Legion and was very happy with the fact it was pretty easy to level from 100 to 110. Just did the quests in the new areas and my weapon quests, didn't do any "grinding" really.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2018, 17:03.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 13:57 Mr. Tact

My guess is the employee filed a complaint of some kind, when that happened the executives punted.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 11:16 Mr. Tact

You are correct that CEOs aren't a popular bunch in general even with the people who "work for" them. I'd guess very few CEOs are "liked" by a majority of the people in their company. But I'd also guess in most cases the employee opinions are frequently neutral/indifferent. In some cases, including Intel apparently, the CEOs are openly disliked.

You are also right about the performance of the stock during his tenure and it being likely he'll land another juicy job. The amazingly thing is, even if the stock had cratered he'd still be likely to get another juicy job.

6873 Comments. 344 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo