Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6779 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 09:54 Mr. Tact

It is too bad but not a bit surprising. I was at our local B&N last week. I'm only in there a couple of times a month, but I'll miss it when it goes, as it surely will within the next year or two...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2018, 13:04 Mr. Tact

Obviously the scale for a first interaction with extraterrestrial intelligent life runs the entire gamut -- from automated destruction (Battlefield Earth) to cautious, limited interaction (Arrival). I can't imagine how we might predetermine what that interaction will be like. I only know how disappointed I am I won't live to see it.

Cruise ships: Yeah, never "got it" -- always seemed like a terrible idea to me.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2018, 10:47 Mr. Tact

So, are you saying the negotiators were incompetent? Under the influence of whichever industries "won" in the treaty, or what?

Okay, "charming" isn't necessary a requirement for a good president, you got me. But you know what, I'll take it over someone who likes insulting people over Twitter any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2018, 09:00 Mr. Tact

You know what, I'll admit I don't know jack about what is in the TPP. But I'd be willing to guess neither do you. It is likely you are simply repeating a talking point you heard from Rush or read on Breitbart. Treaties like that are complicated, and I have little doubt there was some bad in with the good. But to think it was a "horrific agreement" means you think either the US negotiators were incompetent or traitors. And while one of those being true is not outside the realm of the possible, I don't find it reasonable to think or believe it.

No reasonable person thinks anyone is "the second coming", especially any politician. Obama was a very capable president. He was about as honest as politicians ever are, which is to say some of his statements turned out to be untrue. He was articulate, intelligent, and charming. On the other hand, Trump is a nihilistic narcissist and a pathological liar. He is also at a minimum a borderline racist, probably mostly due to his upbringing by an openly racist father. He isn't a genocidal maniac. Although his rhetoric is so over the top, some might wonder if he wants to be.

So yeah, Obama wasn't perfect and Trump isn't Hitler. I can agree with that.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2018, 19:28 Mr. Tact

Actually, the worst damage is in the Judiciary -- the appointment of judges from the far right who will be causing damage for a generation to come. If you ever thought the courts were a little too corporation friendly, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And that's not even considering the SCOTUS seat the GOP stole, although McConnell not Trump gets the credit for that.

News Comments > Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month
11. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 16:05 Mr. Tact

Ah, yes -- I forgot about the Tabula Rasa... that makes me a liar. I actually have found one of those.

I didn't intend to imply PoE is fun only for the top 1% of players. As I said, I like the game. I have fun playing the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't have spent over 1,000 hours playing it. And I certainly understand the hardest content of many games is not reached by most players. And yes, there have been content additions which were available to anyone who was reasonably capable. The 3.0 expansion would be a good example of that, going from 4 Acts to 10 Acts.

That said, I have "done the work" in other games -- for instance, I was at one point in a WoW guild doing the most recent raid content on heroic difficulty -- something a reasonably small portion of the WoW population does. And I feel the steepness of the end game curve in PoE is a bit too steep and the only thing I've seen GGG do is make it steeper.

Still a good game though.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2018, 15:06 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 13:22:
Yeah, there were only five planets and one asteroid in Andromeda. It felt pretty damn small, to be honest.
Uh, okay. I assume that was an attempt at being funny, don't quit your day job.

7. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 11:47 Mr. Tact

I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but I don't want to "beat" the game. I would however like to at least see all the content. Which despite 1,000+ hours and three lvl 86+ characters, I haven't.  

4. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 11:25 Mr. Tact

Wow, just did the math on all the tabs I've purchased and it is a bit embarrassing how much I've spent on this game...  

3. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 10:58 Mr. Tact

True. However, I would comment I've probably spent more on this game than any other except WoW. Not that I'm complaining, I love my currency, essence, map, and quad tabs.

Listen, I have over 1,000 hours in the game, I like it. However, I find the end game frustrating. And frankly, they only made it harder in 3.1. I don't mind a grind too much. I'd done grinds in multiple games. But in 1,000+ hours of playing this game over three leagues, in which I built three characters to lvl 86+, you know how many six link items I've had? One. And it was given to me early on by a kind soul trying to help me learn the game.

I'd really like to see them cater at least some to those of us not in the top 1%.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2018, 11:44.

1. Re: Flu vaccine just 36% effective this season, CDC reports. Feb 16, 2018, 10:46 Mr. Tact

What the article doesn't tell me/us is how that 36% compares with the effectiveness of other years. Flu vaccines are reasonably notorious for being only partially effective at best. This is because they have to "guess" which flu to immunize against well before the flu season starts. Caught the last half of "Contagion" the other day (I've seen it before).. and I wonder how likely a scenario like that really is. It is certainly possible, I just don't know the odds.  

1. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 10:33 Mr. Tact

GGG for better or worse, continues to cater to top 1% of gamers. I see nothing in this which should particularly appeal to the majority of gamers. That said, as I was saying in another topic I'll probably try an RF build in this league.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 16, 2018, 09:05 Mr. Tact

Well, John Deere announced a 23% increase in sales in the last quarter, so apparently their DRM stance isn't hurting their sales, yet.  

News Comments > Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes
29. Re: Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes Feb 16, 2018, 08:35 Mr. Tact

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 01:07:
Problem is, it's not just people over 18. There's plenty of games marketed Teen which have loot boxes, which is a problem.
Right. Which is why I said it the way I did. I certainly would have no issue with legal requirements for publishing odds. As for proving you are over 18, is there actually a meaningful way to do that online?

News Comments > Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes
25. Re: Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes Feb 15, 2018, 23:47 Mr. Tact

I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand, I don't like or care to see game companies effectively scamming people out of money using well established gambling tools. On the other hand anyone over 18 who is falling for this nonsense is likely to lose their money in some other equally silly way if you prevent them from doing it on loot boxes.

So... six in one, half a dozen in the other.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2018, 23:23 Mr. Tact

I was thinking about monetary gain, but yeah, obviously it could be used politically. Which is why they shouldn't get it....  

23. Re: Off-topic Feb 15, 2018, 21:51 Mr. Tact

Will someone please tell Peter Thiel to go home to New Zealand, fuck some sheep, and live the rest of his life out of my earshot. Thanks.

We now return you to the previously scheduled programming...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2018, 20:41 Mr. Tact

Pardon me for being dense... what advantage is the telco gaining if they get this ability/power? I'm not saying they should have it, it seems totally invalid and I see no reason they should have it. I just don't understand why they "really" want it. Are they simply going to block sites unless they pay up to be carried on their networks?  

News Comments > Steam Drops Developer Over Self-Reviews
14. Re: Steam Drops Developer Over Self-Reviews Feb 15, 2018, 18:12 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 13:14:
Cheaters never prosper, and yet people appear to forget this.
Ha! If only this were true. Check out the financial industry, there whoever cheats most gets the most money.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2018, 12:15 Mr. Tact

Nucas wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 12:00:
herbert's kid claims he found a text file with an outline of the last book on his dad's computer after he died. his output is also genuinely wretched.
Hmm, I guess it is only natural to doubt him. The story I read indicated he found a 30 page outline in a safety deposit box. Either way, whether it was based on an outline from Frank H. or not, I have to disagree with your assessment. I thought Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune fit very nicely with Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. I also thought the prequel trilogy was well done. The House series less so, the character series I haven't read.

6779 Comments. 339 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo