Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5504 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2017, 11:49 Mr. Tact

Apparently Bill Paxton's last role will be in "The Circle" scheduled for an April release.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2017, 11:36 Mr. Tact

"Game Over, Man!" -- RIP Bill.

Complications from surgery, no further details so far that I could find.

Aliens best moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89mqdV0M-4

45. Re: Shkreli dubbed a “serial fraudster” by his ex-lawyer in court. Feb 26, 2017, 10:11 Mr. Tact

I'm worried this strategy of Shkreli and his lawyer pointing fingers at each other in separate trials could prove successful. If it is true the lawyer got $10 million in fees, I suspect Shkreli might get the better of it. *sigh*  

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 15:21 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:58:
Yeah it would be if I were going to be driving. The West Village is so pedestrian friendly though that I'm not bringing my car (it'll sit on my parents drive way for the time being, but I'll probably just end up selling it in a few months). Work is a less than 10 minute walk away in Chelsea, there's a grocery store a block and a half from me, cleaners are right next door, etc., etc.
This concept has always intrigued me. So different from the type of living I've done my entire life. I don't know if I would like it, but I certainly wouldn't mind at least trying it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 14:53 Mr. Tact

Wow, that looks like a total PITA intersection -- two one way diagonal streets? Congrats on finding something you like and can afford.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 14:10 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:39:
I thought Blue lives in New York?
Mrs. Blue recently got a new job in PA. They are preparing to move there.

71. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2017, 22:44 Mr. Tact

Okay, I gotta ask -- how do you define what's in the "main frame"?  

30. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:28 Mr. Tact

Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:07:
Now I know what happens during a full scene of the movie, versus a normal trailer that contains highlights from throughout a movie. The suspenseful moment during that scene was spoiled for me, that's all. Likewise, if I had written about this scene and what it entailed without spoiler tags I am sure that someone would have taken offense, and rightly so.
Personally, I think if you consider this a spoiler, you shouldn't be watching movie trailers for films you think you might want to see. But whatever -- if you feel that way, you feel that way. *shrug* I don't get it, but I won't argue against it.

26. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 21:53 Mr. Tact

Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 21:06:
The trailer was a good tease at over 4 minutes, almost verging on spoiler territory, making me wish I had not watched it for that reason alone.
You must be seeing something I don't, I mean you can cover it with a single sentence: "Colonists celebrating prior to going into stasis on a trip to a planet farther into the galaxy than humans have gone before."

The only spoiler is in what we already know, it is an "Alien" film. Hence we know the antagonist.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2017, 20:26 Mr. Tact

Well, it would have been boring if the scene was just a copy. I was glad it wasn't the same. That said, I'm doubtful they'll be able to make the story much different from what we have already seen. However, I hope I am wrong.  

69. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2017, 20:24 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 19:59:
This thread is off the front page so at this point only those wishing to participate are still reading.
? Every time someone responds it's back up at the top.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2017, 08:57 Mr. Tact

They seem to love idiots with the gift of gab, and under those terms he qualifies.  

News Comments > Steam Adding 10% GST in AU
28. Re: Steam Adding 10% GAT in AU Feb 22, 2017, 20:45 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 15:04:
Look, a dollar is worth a dollar to a citizen of a country regardless of exchange rates with other countries. Minimum wage, as an example, is the same in the US and Canada - on average - yet, someone working for that same rate in Canada has to work an additional 3 hours for the exact same virtual product. It didn't cost them anymore to make it or ship it, yet you're supposed to put in 30% more work as your American counterpart. Why?

If it wasn't for the fact that to try and combat piracy they drastically lower the prices on those same products in high piracy countries like China, Russia, et al. So even though their dollar is worth less they still get to pay even less - generally 50% on average - than their American counterparts on a dollar to dollar basis. So their dollar, like ours, is worth less, yet they get a discount and we have to pay more. Yeah, that's real fair. This is the same for the poor ol' Aussies.

I suppose the message they're ultimately sending is we - Can/Aus - should really be pirating the shit of software because only at that point will we get the same breaks as China, Russia, Brazil, etc. in order to curtail said piracy. And they wonder why key reseller sites thrive, particularly with countries like ours who continually get F'd in the A on this sans lube.
Wow. Why is Donald J Trump posting on this board using Cutter's logon? Seriously Cutter, with the ability to spout verbiage like that, you should be running for office...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 22, 2017, 18:50 Mr. Tact

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 16:14:
Never even HEARD of this Milo guy before now...
Yeah, I only heard of him last week -- apparently he excelled at trolling liberals at Brietbart. Will probably make millions off a personal Youtube channel after this...

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 16:00 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 15:15:
There's no such thing as 'realtor on your side' because he/she profits by a commission on the higher sale price. Wouldn't be surprised if 'something else, off record' was going on there.
I understand the concern. However, in this particular case my realtor was actually someone I've known personally for many years. Within the realm of possible? Sure. Likely? Not in this particular case. That said, collusion on the price to get an extra $90, only $45 on each side, seems like a risk hardly worth taking.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 13:12 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 12:43:
Didn't get the West Village apartment. Apparently the building management company concealed from my realtor that there was another applicant, and then basically stonewalled her when she asked for more info about why the other applicant was selected over me. My realtor's take was that the building management already had a tenant lined up and just played us to get an extra application fee. In my realtor's words, "Welcome to the world of New York real estate."

She's going to present me with some new listings later this afternoon, and then we'll go from there. Oh well.
Bummer. How much was the application fee?

Don't feel too bad though, this kind of thing can happen even in far less competitive markets. When I was looking for the house I own (with the mortgage company) now I was looking in a specific neighborhood. I had only really started looking, hadn't even signed on with a realtor yet. Found a listing pretty much right where I wanted to be. Called the listing agent, made an appointment for two days later to see the place. Two hours before the appointment she called and said an offer had been accepted on the house. Then a few weeks later the house literally next door was listed, I went to see it on the first day of the listing. The next day I did the paper work to make an offer, only to find out a few hours later there was another offer. At my realtor's suggestion I upped my offer by $1,500. It was a tense six hours before my agent called and said they had accepted my offer. And all this is in a town of a little over 100k.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 11:21 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 11:14:
So why are you moving? Apologies if you've mentioned it before.
Mrs. Blue got a job in PA -- and they are moving there.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 11:12 Mr. Tact

I wish I had your drive Cutter. There are certainly renovations I could do in my home that I would like to have done, but I simply do not have the drive/will power/whatever to do it.

The part you missed about renos prior to sale is people like me who don't want to do that work, or have to worry about it. It is definitely a gray area open to interpretation...

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 20:04 Mr. Tact

Wow. I guess I just wasn't paying attention, I didn't realize you were that far gone. C'est la vie. Do us a favor and go converse with Terry Jones instead of us. Thanks.

As a side note, what is with the Jones clan? Alex Jones, Terry Jones, Jim Jones... dangerous name to have apparently..

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 19:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 18:57:
Snark aside, I don't see the repeal happening. The good parts of it are too popular and too many reps are getting pushback from constituents and insurance companies. The danger I guess is sabotage : some person or group figures out a way to partially defund it and it enters a death spiral. The chance is small but it's possible.
I hope you're right, but I don't have a lot of confidence in something positive happening. The free market can't/won't solve the problem, the ACA was an attempt to fix the free market solution. I doubt you can find anyone who would think the ACA is perfect. But it was the best the Ds could get while dragging the dead weight of the Rs along with them.

It will be interesting to see what the Rs do. For reasons beyond my understanding it seems many people did not equate the ACA with the fact they got coverage they couldn't previously get. And they seem to be protesting the idea of losing it a bit... will the Rs listen? *shrug*

5504 Comments. 276 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo