Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5935 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
69. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Jul 4, 2017, 22:22 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 22:15:
Yes. Like when documentaries on the sun explain with absolute certainty that the star will go supernova in a few billion years hence. The Bible states another thing to is contrary. It all comes done to faith? I'd rather put my faith in the Bible's positive look into future than in man's negative look into the future. Eventually, humanity will know who was correct.
Actually, no. The science shows the Sun will eventually expand into a red giant before becoming a white dwarf. It does not have enough mass to create a supernova. And it's about 5 billion years away. The Earth will be "dead" long before that, so if we are still around it won't be on Earth.

The science is based on direct observation of stars of a similar size in various parts of the star's life cycle throughout the universe. I'll take repeatable observable evidence over random rantings. I already know who is correct.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Non-sequitur Jul 4, 2017, 22:16 Mr. Tact

Dacote wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:47:
A tie goes to the runner.
Several progressional cyclist have come forward to say they believe it was a grievous offense.
“There was no reason for that elbow,” said Hammond. “As a former professional bike rider I know the way it is done.”
I don't do TV so I will never know.
Hammond works with the team Cavendish is on, hardly an impartial observer. And frankly, the comment in my mind shows it. As I said, it is not clear the elbow contacted Cavendish and even if it did, it was after Cavendish was on the way down.

A story on cyclists questioning the decision.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2017, 22:30.

65. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 22:08 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:32:
Why are we here?

Science still has not been able to answer this question. The Bible does, many times over.
Oh please.. really? Why not just tell us you know God exists because you "feel" his presence. The answer is, there is no reason we are here. It is random. We are here because, this planet formed where liquid water can exist, in a solar system far enough from the center of the galaxy that we are not bombarded with radiation (compared relatively to the center of the galaxy). And then, we got lucky.

But because many people can't deal with that idea emotionally, they have created religions to fill this hole. They feel their lives need to "mean" something, that there has to be "more to life". You don't believe what Islam teaches, right? Don't believe what Judaism teaches, right? Repeat this question for all the other religions. Hundreds, thousands of religions you do not believe. You only believe in your religion. Well, I simply believe in one less religion than you do.

28. Re: Non-sequitur Jul 4, 2017, 21:26 Mr. Tact

Unfortunately, the better videos I have seen were on TV, not on the Internet. Many professional cyclists have come forward to say they believe a disqualification is too harsh a punishment. I certainly would hope they know more than I do...  

24. Re: Non-sequitur Jul 4, 2017, 21:07 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 19:57:
History not withstanding, dick move by Sagan and he got caught. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/04/mark-cavendish-crash-tour-de-france-stage-four
I miss the days when one rider was super doped up and left all the others in the dust. Lance Armstrong is still my hero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3LqhnUnj8
There are better videos of the incident. Cavendish tried to squeeze through a hole which wasn't there. It is something he has done before and caused crashes. He was behind Sagan, Sagan has every right to hold his line. He isn't required to move to allow Cavendish through. Sagan's elbow coming up is Sagan balancing himself against Cavendish's intrusion. It isn't clear if the elbow actually contacted Cavendish, but even if it did, Cavendish was already on the way down.

Armstrong had a tough choice, "cheat" or don't win. I haven't actually gone through the list of riders and checked, but it wouldn't be surprising if every rider who finished in the top 10 of the Tours Armstrong won either got caught or admitted using PEDs. I certainly know many of them did. It always amused me how it didn't bother the French much that when Richard Virenque (who is French) was caught using PEDs after winning the KoM competition in the TdF seven times.

21. Re: Non-sequitur Jul 4, 2017, 19:46 Mr. Tact

Totally off-topic:

I think the disqualification of Peter Sagan in the 4th stage of the TdF is an over reaction by the commissaires. The elbow didn't cause Cavendish to go down. And in my mind, Cavendish has a history of unsafe sprinting. I might be able to swallow a relegation to the end of the peloton but a disqualification is not called for. In my mind Cavendish is mostly, if not entirely at fault.

We now return you to the originally scheduled programming....

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 18:46 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 17:33:
Fair enough. We're all broken one way or another. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the overwhelming majority of people using them, prescription or OTC, don't have those issue and only have diet to blame.
Not a bet I'd make, you're probably correct.

My sister has had some seriously bad luck. Often she is someone general rules don't apply to.. she's lost count of the number of times she's had a medical problem or an adverse drug reaction, which her doctors have responded, "Weird, that only happens to about 5% of population." It is a phrase she has grown to dislike intensely.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 16:06 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 15:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 13:55:
One of my sisters has a similar problem. Wants to stop taking them, but even on a very controlled diet she still has issues. Basically her digestive tract performs very poorly. Among other things she was tested and found she suffers from slow emptying of the stomach.
Define controlled diet. Are you sure she isn't cheating? I know whenever I eat crap like fast/junk food, go heavy on booze, or spicy food - even healthy like Indian, which I love - I get the AR something fierce. When I'm eating healthy - mostly vegetarian - zero problems.
First, she is a picky eater, she doesn't like a lot of foods. Second, she considered being a nutritionist as a career and eats like she is one. She has literally had the same breakfast, lunch and dinner for months in a row. And in general, she doesn't like spicy food anyway, I doubt she's ever had a curry dish. She isn't strictly a vegetarian, but basically because she can't get enough protein without eating some meat -- she just doesn't like most legumes. She's one of those people who does everything she should, and has problems anyway because her body just isn't "working right".

News Comments > Independence Day Legal Briefs
15. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 4, 2017, 15:23 Mr. Tact

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 15:10:
And you lose those with dead people voting and illegals. So sad.
So, you are a comedian doing a Trump impression? Very impressive, you seem to have it down. Get shot down on one topic, simply move onto the next. You should run for office, you already sound like a professional politician.

12. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 4, 2017, 14:52 Mr. Tact

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 14:44:
There is only one reason why the Dems don't want to give up the data...it doesn't support their position.
Uh, what? The GOP controls most of the state legislatures, right? The GOP vice chair of the commission, who is the Kansas Secretary of State, is among those saying he won't give up all the information requested. Of course he then claimed the commission wasn't requesting the information he couldn't, by law, provide. Too bad they had already sent out the letters saying otherwise.

9. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 4, 2017, 14:34 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 14:22:
Voter intimidation and suppression is the most likely result. Public condemnation of people who didn't vote Trump, etc.
Wait, are you saying there is a record of whom I voted for? That would be news to me. A record of which primaries and elections I did vote in, sure. But not who I voted for. So, they can't publicly condemn me for voting for or against candidate XYZ.

How are they going to use the information to suppress the vote? Again, not saying they can't, just looking to understand how they would, other than my previously mentioned support for voter id laws.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 13:55 Mr. Tact

One of my sisters has a similar problem. Wants to stop taking them, but even on a very controlled diet she still has issues. Basically her digestive tract performs very poorly. Among other things she was tested and found she suffers from slow emptying of the stomach.  

6. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 4, 2017, 13:48 Mr. Tact

I have a question about this. If "Trump's people" get the publicly available data, which I assume they will at some point. Since it is publicly available, I'd assume the Ds could get it too. My question is, what is the concern? What nefarious thing is it people are afraid will happen? I guess they could manipulate the data to support voter id laws? Is that the worry? I'm not saying there shouldn't be concerns, I'm just not sure what they are.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 08:33 Mr. Tact

Numinar wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 02:53:
Heresy! Latest updates include more higher definition assets and world generation presets to encourage rails or make the recipes more expensive requiring more factorio madness to produce.

You never recover from cractorio addiction. You are just one taste from another 40 hour bender. Do it!
Oh I haven't stopped playing. Just already played too much. My longest lived factory has over 1,000 hours play time and has started to lose FPS due to large entity counts. When it is cranking I top 30k per minute on iron and copper. And my mining bonus from research is up to 100%. In a more recent factory I finished all the research not requiring Space Science packs in a coal based factory. Steel furnaces and Steam power.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2017, 10:18.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 00:02 Mr. Tact

You are right, Rigs. Assuming the predictions are correct, the planet will still be here, but it won't be the Earth we know. I don't know if humans will ever become an interstellar species or not. But I hope we will. I hope there is some currently unforeseen scientific break-thru. Warp travel, worm-hole travel, something... and it is my great regret I will not live to see it, if it happens.  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 3, 2017, 22:25 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:23:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:21:
You should all be playing Factorio instead anyway!

Played way too much of that to be honest
Haha, me too.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 3, 2017, 22:21 Mr. Tact

You should all be playing Factorio instead anyway!  

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 22:19 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 21:52:
Here's another one I just remembered: If you want to feel lucky or special, get this... If we were around 2 trillion years later, we'd be unable to find out about the Big Bang or even that other galaxies exist. All the nearby galaxies will be merged into one super large galaxy. The other galaxies will be too far away moving too fast and their light will have red shifted beyond what you could measure with any instrument. And they won't even know what they are missing because they won't be able to measure the expansion of space to know that it is happening. All that any civilization around in +2T yrs will think is that their galaxy is the only one that exists.
Yeah, I had heard about that. If intelligent life still exists then, will they have records showing what the universe was like previously? And even if they do, will they believe it? Without being able to verify any of it will they consider it religious nonsense?

I think the night sky when the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies merge will be far more interesting and that's "only" 4 billion years away. The Earth might even still be around, the Sun is expected to expand into a red giant in about 5 billion years.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 21:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 21:18:
I had never heard of stellar nucleosynthesis before today.
Dude! Everything we are, literally, comes from stellar nucleosynthesis and supernova nucleosynthesis. Stars are God! Okay, maybe not God -- but they are the only way any elements heavier than hydrogen and helium exist in our universe.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 20:54 Mr. Tact

*sigh* Yes, I am familiar at a layman's level with the process of stellar nucleosynthesis -- but WHY?

(in case you don't get it, it is rhetorical)

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2017, 21:06.

5935 Comments. 297 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo