Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5971 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 10:39 Mr. Tact

I can't quite put the reason into words, but I've never been able to get into Doctor Who. Best I could do is say, it is a bit too quirky for my tastes. The idea of a female Doctor Who seems intriguing though, if the writers handle it correctly...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2017, 10:35 Mr. Tact

The Internet of Things - A Disaster for No Good Reason.

There, fixed the headline for them.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2017, 10:30 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 10:09:
Enough to cover one month's alimony.
If you can't do the time....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 10:29 Mr. Tact

Musk needs better medication. At best (worst?) we are many decades from the kind of AI which could/would be a danger to humanity. And frankly, even if it did cause some type of confrontation between AI and humanity, I'm sorry I won't live to see it.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 10:24 Mr. Tact

Congrats on your get together Blue -- sounds like a fantastic time. I envy you for that kind of situation.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 22:59 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the bicycle one is very thought provoking. Presumably if riding a bicycle can be so strongly ingrained into your brain, other things can too -- say like... political positions.

So, are people "stuck" believing their political positions, literally unable to change. Or at least, so significantly resistant to the point that only persistent, long term, training can change it. I don't know if that's a valid comparison or not, but based on what I've seen over the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if it was valid.

4. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 20:00 Mr. Tact

Very cool, that guy's videos are usually interesting.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 15, 2017, 22:48 Mr. Tact

Gotta agree, who cares about League of Legends and Riot Points! *sheesh*  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 21:31 Mr. Tact

Even if you could do that, it wouldn't work. There are too many "functional addicts". ie.. people who abuse drugs, but aren't total losers, they can hold onto a job. And not long after you started doing it, even the total losers would start doing a better job of hiding. You'd see a short term decrease, but it wouldn't be a long term solution.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 15:55 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 15:03:
Hope they nail that fucker right to the wall.
Keep dreaming -- police officers have literally shot people in the back as they were running away and not been convicted of any wrong doing.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 13:33 Mr. Tact

Yeah, in certain parts of the country it has to be on the checklist now... to question if there has been any sinkhole activity anywhere near the lot and preferably to have the site tested. Not to mention speaking with your lawyer about insurance coverage and responsibility of such a possibility.

Thinking about it, just asking your insurance agent about coverage of such an incident should give you a good idea of the level of concern. Should be cheap coverage, if it isn't.... bad news..

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
22. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2017, 13:25 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 11:57:
I think the last point is more cogent than the lack of competition.
So, you think there are more ISPs which provide content than ISPs which have a broadband monopoly? We'd have to agree to disagree on that point. An even better transport analogy would be, imagine if one car manufacturer's cars were allowed to go 70 mph on the interstates but others were only allowed to go 45 mph. How long do you think that would last before the people rose up against it in mass numbers?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2017, 20:41 Mr. Tact

Even when they have PhDs, criminals are generally stupid. It is just the way the universe works...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2017, 19:53 Mr. Tact

It is more likely he'll spend time in a hot tub with several high priced call girls. I'm sure the money is pouring into his pockets...  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 14, 2017, 19:47 Mr. Tact

Blue reached out to him, he's fine but is taking a break. That's all we know.  

10. Re: Man trapped in an ATM Jul 14, 2017, 19:36 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 18:50:
What the hell, that article needs more info. I guess he's required to close the door?
Yeah, it is a little weird. Most ATMs are stand alone machines a person couldn't "walk into". I'm guessing this is a group of several ATMs in a bank installed into a wall. The back of the machines can be accessed from behind for money loading and maintenance in a small room. He's lucky it wasn't Friday afternoon and the bank was about to close. He would have been in pretty bad shape by Monday morning...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 18:09 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:54:
Also the technologies developed for manned space travel sometimes lead to intermediate technologies that can be used for other stuff here on Earth.
This was certainly true for the Apollo missions. However, I think it is less applicable now. The world is just different now. I don't know for certain without looking it up, but my guess would be a Raspberry Pi has more computing power than the Apollo capsules did. It's possible a manned Mars mission could stimulate the existing infrastructure to create something "unexpected", but the chances are a lot less than they were in the 1960s...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 14:13 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I have to agree. Other than "because it is there", there isn't much reason to go to Mars. If we ever get the technology to do some true terraforming, then it would make sense. I don't see happening in the next 100 years. Maybe it is poor perception on my part, but the rate of change in technology seems to be slowing some in the last decade or so...  

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2017, 11:34 Mr. Tact

I don't think I could say my Internet service has gotten worse. But yeah, the price continues to grow. Yes, my speed cap goes up, but how many people really need more than 10 Mbit downloads in their home? The times I've done multiple GB downloads I've never seen a throughput of more than 6 Mbit. So, I don't see upping my cap from 50 Mbit to 75 Mbit as being useful to me.

On the occasions when I needed to interact with their customer service, it always seems to absolutely suck. On the other hand, on the few occasions I've needed a technician to show up at my house, the tech has always been seemingly knowledgeable and willing to admit their phone support blows chunks. (for the record, I'm talking about Comcast)

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2017, 09:02 Mr. Tact

So, what you are saying is we were imagining it when ISPs throttled traffic from specific applications, or specific sites? That by forcing certain content providers pay extra money the ISPs are supporting the base line consumers?

Yes, in a perfect world, normal capitalistic forces would drive ISPs to be more responsible towards the consumers. However, you can't have the competition factors which might drive ISPs to be consumer focused when in a vast majority of locations there is a monopoly for broadband delivery. This becomes especially problematic when the ISPs and the content providers are owned by the same people.

5971 Comments. 299 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo