Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5579 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 14:37 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 13:04:
1. Mr. Tact is usually the voice of moderation in these threads, neither exceedingly liberal or conservative. When you've lost him, you've gone to far one direction or the other. (Perhaps you aren't really, Mr. Tact, but you appear to be so )
Again, thank you. I do try to see both sides, and I do have personal opinions which would register as liberal and others which would register as conservative. I think it is pretty clear both the far left and the far right have lost their way. Often, they are so stuck in their ideologies they are unable or unwilling to even consider modifying their views. And reasonable people are caught in the middle of a never ending tennis rally, watching the issue batted back and forth...

Actually the worst part is people are often making decisions on these things will little or no information. I think Trump is a fantastic example of this. I totally get the idea of wanting an outsider, a non-politician, someone not beholding to the DC establishment. I could definitely vote for someone like that too. But Trump? He may not have held office, but he is very much like the lifelong, professional politicians. The idea he's for the common man, or really has any idea what the common man's life is like is easily destroyed by reviewing his past business dealings.

*shrug* C'est la vie. Que sera, sera.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2017, 17:08.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 14:14 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 13:29:
Hey, like I said, that movie is awesome... to a nine-year-old!
Well, I would have to agree seeing tits when I was 9 was a major win. However outside that small context, the movie was horrid -- even as satire.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2017, 10:59 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 10:54:
Last I checked, sales tax was 21% in the Netherlands, so it could always be significantly worse.
21% eh? I wonder how their real estate taxes are.. I'm paying $500 a month on my $180k house which is fairly obnoxious considering my mortgage payment is $580 a month,

News Comments > Star Citizen Year Five
88. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 26, 2017, 09:32 Mr. Tact

Luke wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 05:13:
Some/many people WANT to be fooled .
Its sooo easy just stop up take a breath read and take a feel , Is this begger project worth anything ...

But nooooo people are use to click Yes to everything today ....clows

So eat it loosers ya got scammet.....HARD
Haha -- I have no idea which side you are on. Perhaps that was intentional?

Edit: Ahh, after further consideration, I realize you are just attempting to taunt SC supporters. Easy target, you can do better.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2017, 09:56.

46. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 09:30 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 05:19:
"jdreyer"Mar 26, 2017, 02:33]
1) When you've lost Mr. Tact...
He's not the gold standard of morality (no offense, Mr. Tact).
LOL -- First, thank you JD for apparently holding me in such high regard. Secondly to Kxmode, no offense taken. I wouldn't care to attempt to score my relative morality. But I do try to be reasonable despite being a curmudgeon. This is a socially difficult area. As I said before, I understand your reluctance Kxmode, but you should rethink your approach. *shrug*
jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 02:33:
You can believe whatever you want. I've said everything I care to express on this subject.
Ditto.

45. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 09:11 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 01:26:
That review has a decent argument for Starship Troopers not being quite as bad as I'd remembered.
Uh yeah, I'd have to read that before I'd believe it. Starship Troopers was a horrid movie. And as you mentioned, has very little to do with the book it was named after.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 23:26 Mr. Tact

Haha. "Pop! Goes the weasel."  

26. Re: On Sale Mar 25, 2017, 22:45 Mr. Tact

Actually, it is not the basic science that is the problem. Yes, in basic science there are two genders. In advanced science, there are levels of relativity. Despite your refusal to acknowledge this, it is actually a fact.

On an only mildly related subject, it was interesting to see you mention the possibility of humans evolving to non-physical energy beings. Consider this possibility, straight out of my favorite fictional universe -- the one created by Iain Banks. What if our science advanced to where we could control our internal hormone levels. If fact, to the point were we could actual morph ourselves (over a period of time) from one sex to the other? In that situation how would you define gender? Just a silly question based on a fictional universe. But I find it difficult to not talk about The Culture when any opportunity arises.

20. Re: On Sale Mar 25, 2017, 21:53 Mr. Tact

Everything, even societies change over time. Hell, even astronomical entities like stars and planets change over time. I understand your reluctance to resist it, but you should rethink your approach and realize, this is something that is just going to change. It isn't chaos, it is just change. You are correct in pointing out society works because we agree to follow certain rules, like traffic lights. But rules like everything else, change...  

13. Re: On Sale Mar 25, 2017, 20:13 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 19:43:
Sex is a very clear choice that causes no confusion. Physically, a person is either male or female.
Okay, first of all I am confused by your wording, first you say there is a choice then you seem to indicate there isn't but I'll overlook that...

I suggest you do some reading on Intersex, XX males, XY females, and other various biologic anomalies that blur that bright line you seem to think exists. As I said before, yes -- a majority of the time the line is bright, but it is not always so clear.

83. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 19:59 Mr. Tact

Hey, Kxmode -- clean up your quotes... you have me quoted for what Redeye9 said...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 19:12 Mr. Tact

Surprisingly the biology around gender is not quite that "black and white". Although I'll grant you, it is a majority of the time.  

76. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 18:44 Mr. Tact

Yes. Is there a better place?  

74. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 18:40 Mr. Tact

The bigger problem is someone like my sister. My sister is a healthcare contradiction. She is my exact opposite. She exercises every day. She watches what she eats, take vitamins, and maintains a normal weight (most would call her thin). She does all the things you are supposed to do. Yet, her body is constantly failing her. One example, she had to have Morton's neuromas removed from both of her feet in her 30s. The doctor who did the surgery said the tissue he removed was the size of his thumb and he had only seen neuromas of this size in people in the 60s or 70s who had the neuromas their entire lives.

Right now she is okay because she has good healthcare coverage through a major US corporation. But she still spends her full $3k deductible most years. However, imagine if that was you and you were having to spend $9k a year...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 18:28 Mr. Tact

Well, not that surprising since English unlike so many other languages does not have genders for all nouns -- like say German and Spanish do. Windows, doors, etc. don't have gender...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 16:44 Mr. Tact

I don't have a problem with that -- but I'd be willing to change my mind if it means I can come see you and get some chill and Manstovia action.  

72. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 16:39 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 16:22:
Here is the only thing I didn't like with ObamaCare if it truly was even related, there are signs it was well on its way regardless... High deductibles. Business was gearing this way in articles you can reference, as they know that first nut on the individual if high enough, people would really consider if they need to go to the Doc's office or not. Many now refrain where they used to just go, I raise my hand.

We try extra hard to stay healthy, but if we start having a rash and if we bust through the deductible, then we start going in for all the little things adding up over a few years, like my deviated septum.

The main main reason to have insurance for us is the catastrophic scenario. Worst case per year cost for me is 9k, so cancer, terrible accident can't bankrupt me. I think Obama will tell you, it is still overall not ideal, some dems could not vote for a single payer system back then and keep their seat, I think they would have gone that way. So we just have a mix of the same variables in some odd fashion. No doubt covering all, age 26 family coverage, per-existing conditions, no lifetime max were huge home runs though and to back off on any of those can't be looked at as for the small guy.
Yep. ACA or not, this is a major problem. The median US household income is around $55k. If you are single, you could probably save enough (depending on where you live) on that to survive a bad year $9k deductible. If you are a family of four, forget it. You aren't saving that much -- and half the country has less money than that.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 25, 2017, 16:09 Mr. Tact

It will be interesting to see how it affects their sales, assuming Amazon tells us. I never bought anything there simply to avoid tax, but it was always a nice bonus. This change will not affect my purchase habits.  

66. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 13:27 Mr. Tact

WaltC wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 11:58:
The ACA was good enough for you and me, but not for Obama, Pelosi, Schumer and their families, etc. ad infinitum. Amazing stupidity, actually.
Nothing new there. Congress has been getting better health and retirement benefits than we could get for decades. It is non-partisan, both Ds and Rs have been lining their own pockets for a LONG time.
The Congressional Republicans killed the Obamacare replacement simply because it was not a straight-up repeal, followed by a new plan that was clear, unambiguous, and fiscally responsible. It's just that simple.
So, the GOP really wants to just straight up kick 24 million people off their healthcare? Really? And you think that makes sense?
Watch for a straight-up repeal of the ACA coming soon, followed by a plan that doesn't lie to America simply to get it passed and a plan that strips the IRS and all involuntary mandates out. (The IRS has already instructed taxpayers to *ignore* the previous Obamacare $1k penalties, etc. It did that several weeks ago, IIRC.)
The GOP had seven years to develop an ACA replacement plan while they were doing their 50+ practice votes for repealing the ACA. But they didn't. They waited until they had the control of the House, Senate and Presidency, and then proceed to throw together a plan none of them would ever have accepted for themselves. I mean, holy cow, at the end they were pulling out coverage for pregnancy and paediatrics in an attempt to get the Freedom Caucus on board. When the ACA was in process, the GOP was complaining in September the Ds were rushing to push the bill though without enough time for careful consideration. They put theirs up in February...
I'd like to see the ACA repealed in the a.m. and that very same day see a decent plan [...] and is good enough for Congress, too pass that afternoon!...;) Hope springs eternal, eh?....;)
Well, the last part will never happen. As I said earlier, Congress gets healthcare and retirement benefits the general population will never see. Period. As for a possible repeal and replace, to me it is all dependent on the replacement. And truthfully, I doubt the GOP would ever vote for something I, or most of the nation, would find acceptable.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2017, 13:54.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 09:38 Mr. Tact

I'm not saying it's right, but just another day in Putin's Russia.  

5579 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo