Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4467 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 07:05 Mr. Tact

Does anyone know why the Pigskins Pick'em page is showing dashes through the week 2 result?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 12:36 Mr. Tact

Wow, nice picking in our pick 'em league -- 13 of 14 by Radman and Pigeon. I got the "upset" pick on Philly, but missed on the Browns, Ravens and Chargers. I can live with that.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 12:32 Mr. Tact

Wait, people still play baseball?  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 07:12 Mr. Tact

RoboNerd wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 10:13:
I wish he had brought the Swiss Guards with him... Jester
He did, they are just the plain clothes versions...

And yes, the amount of news coverage this got was insane.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2015, 19:46 Mr. Tact

I believe there was a case of a home owner both being ticketed for improper watering (or some such) and for letting their lawn brown.  

News Comments > Diablo III Bonus Weekend
2. Re: Diablo III Bonus Weekend Sep 24, 2015, 09:59 Mr. Tact

Ha! Yeah, I think this will probably take up my free time this weekend.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2015, 13:08 Mr. Tact

They have to go through the drug approval process for a drug that is already on the market? PLEASE tell me it isn't that stupid.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2015, 10:33 Mr. Tact

"It ain't over 'til it's over" -- and for Yogi, it is now over. RIP.  

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2015, 07:35 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 23:47:
Apparently, this is an easy problem to solve. The medicine patent expired decades ago, but distribution laws prevent anyone else from making it?
Interesting, I was wondering what the deal was since the drug had been around for decades. I'd like to hear the full explanation of what allows them to have exclusivity. I'd love for whatever that is to be changed.

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2015, 20:19 Mr. Tact

The ISPs have nothing on drug companies witness this prick although I guess he's backing down at least some -- I'll hold my forgiveness until I learn what price he decides on.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 13:13 Mr. Tact

Despite only getting 7 picks right (so far) I did relatively better this week than last -- so I'll take it. And the difference between me and the leader this week are all games I considered picking the other way... so at least I'm thinking of making the right picks...  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:51 Mr. Tact

My Last Man Standing league was crushed this week. 225 of 286 entries were eliminated. Another 25 (including me) are depending on Indy winning tonight.  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:45 Mr. Tact

Listen, it's possible he actually has some insight into financial trends. The bugaboo is him claiming exact dates, he can't know that. Look at the mortgage bubble from 2008. Almost no one saw it coming, a couple of guys did. However, even they would tell you they didn't know when exactly the bubble would burst. Just that they knew it was unsustainable and that eventually it would. So, they shorted things in such a way that when it did happen, they became billionaires. This guy probably is a smart guy, but there is no way he is predicting exact dates of future financial events.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 10:23 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 08:35:
He was predicting specific dates well in advance of them and has nailed them all. There's no con here. He's just tapped into a model that by tracking global financial data has led to hyper accurate predictions of what the market is going to do.
Okay, exactly why isn't he a multi-billionaire if this is true?

If the movie ever makes it Showtime/HBO/whatever -- I'll try to steel myself and watch it. But I suspect it will be like watching a magic act, lots of flash not a lot of substance. Just because I don't know how a magician does his trick/illusion doesn't mean I believe in magic. I suspect that's how I'll feel after watching this -- possibly entertaining, but nothing having to do with the real world.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 22:50 Mr. Tact

I watched the 10 minute trailer and saw nothing but anecdotal evidence. Stories of he said this and he said that. My explanation is he is a con man and a felon.

Predicting a failure of sovereign debt isn't much of a prediction. Plenty of people are predicting that. The problem is even in the standard world of economics Nobel Prize winning economists will argue completely opposite sides of an economic theory. I have seen debate by economists on this very subject, and frankly it left me baffled.

If he has specific future predictions, I'll be glad to hear them -- and then watch them pass unfulfilled.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 20:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 19:56:
Haven't watched it yet, but a lot of natural phenomena are based on predictable mathematical formulas, like Fibonacci.
Yes, I'm quite sure you could predict the stock market by analyzing the digits of Pi. I suggest you immediately invest your life savings in the stock market using this strategy. Rolleyes

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2015, 17:12 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 16:28:
The Forecaster

This film is a must see. In the next few weeks we'll see if another one of his prediction models come to pass - which he forecasted in in 1998 - The Sovereign Debt Big Bang. One of the most mesmerizing docs I've ever seen.
I was sort of interested, until I saw his predictions are based on Pi. Uh, yeah -- sure. Next!

4. Re: Sweden tests the six hour work day Sep 20, 2015, 12:25 Mr. Tact

Hmm, I'll have to do the math and see how that compares to the previous best work setup I know of. A buddy of mine in the early 1990s worked for MCI on a 2pm to midnight shift -- 4 days on, 4 days off.  

25. Re: Football = Brain Disease Sep 20, 2015, 11:11 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 23:15:
What good is all those million$ if your just scrambling your brain.
87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive.
In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school
Yeah, I don't see how it can't be the death knell of the game as we know it. It will take time, maybe even longer than I will live, but eventually "current" football will look as crazy as NHL goalies without masks.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2015, 22:42 Mr. Tact

Well, the reason Arthur Petrelli was on a ventilator was because Angela poisoned him. So, I don't think an attempt on her life would have caused him great grief. And even if he wants to kill Adam, keeping him around seems pretty low risk given his only power is his healing -- compared to say Sylar or Peter. And even if he does want to kill him, just absorb his power. You become very hard to kill, and it becomes easy to kill him. But, repeating myself, as I suspected logic has no place here...  

4467 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo