Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5664 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 09:49 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on May 10, 2017, 05:28:
If I add up all the time a contractor was here it is only about 16 hours (plumbing, electrical, general). Otherwise I did majority of it.

My $25k bathroom will end up costing about $6k.

That being said, the delay is because of the way I chose to have it done. To me, it is worth it.
Well done. I wish I had your drive. I could do the other bathroom and get rid of all the popcorn ceilings... but it just isn't in me...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 21:23 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on May 9, 2017, 20:28:
IIRC, firing Cox was what started the cascade of leaks against Nixon that got him impeached.
Ahh, I remembered it was all falling apart already when it happened, but thinking about it some your recollection makes a bit more sense...

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 20:24 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:57:
Bathroom project is stalled out. Tile people either don't show at all or won't return messages......
Bummer. I have to say, I definitely paid near the top end for my bathroom remodel, but at least it went well at every step of the process. ($30k for a strip to the studs, replace everything)

22. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 20:22 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:47:
jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:30:
Comey is out. Very Nixonian.
The question is really... will it be the same mistake that Nixon made? There's always hope.
Which Nixon mistake are you referring to?

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 16:28 Mr. Tact

whitelined wrote on May 9, 2017, 12:05:
In the US, does it really affect value/ability to sell if there are minor defects? In the UK, anything of any condition usually just sells, and some parts it doesn't add value to have it up to a decent standard.
The return on investment is pretty good depending on what you update. Bathrooms and kitchens top the list of ROI. It is possible to do $10k of improvements and increase the value of the property $20k or more if done correctly. I don't know what the sales stats say about it, but my personal preference was move-in ready when I was house shopping. I'd rather pay the $20k increase in price then have to deal with doing the renovation myself. Witness Blues problems -- it is not a simple prospect.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 09:13 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 7, 2017, 18:34:
France is proof that the world is rejecting the crazies, in ~1300 days America can do the same. Unless of course impeachment deprives the electorate of that noble task.
Was reading about this and saw Macron founded the party less than a year ago. THAT is what the US needs, the ability to form new political parties and to get them on the congressional and presidential ballots. Yes, it is possible currently, but it is so difficult...

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2017, 22:58 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on May 7, 2017, 16:37:
Science is religion pretending that it has all the answers.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Science admits it doesn't have all the answers, ask any physicist, cosmologist, whatever... Science is about is observable and predictable events.
The Bible encourages doubt and truth seeking.
And science doesn't?

Please, just stop.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2017, 16:10 Mr. Tact

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”

- J. Michael Straczynski

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2017, 23:31 Mr. Tact

Ow! Biting your tongue hurts!  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:26 Mr. Tact

So Cutter, I should be allowed to say whatever I want, but not print a document saying the same thing and distribute it?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 10:13 Mr. Tact

Well, technically religion is first, then speech second, and the press third:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

that said, you are absolutely correct to indicate how important it is. One of the things the bothers me the most about Trump is his constant attacks on the press. Does the press lean left and/or right, you better believe it. Even if they aren't always doing it intentionally, it is just the nature of being human. His on-going attacks have a tinge/taint/whatever of authoritarianism which is very troubling...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 3, 2017, 01:07 Mr. Tact

Haha, no password changes. Fantastic. I have to say, I always considered the forced "change your password every 90 days" policy at work to be total bullshit, but even I would balk at a policy of not being able to change it at all.  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M
3. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M May 3, 2017, 01:00 Mr. Tact

Didn't find out about this thing until it started showing up on the Steam top seller's list. From looking at the site looks like it could be worth a try, even if I am unlikely to ever be the "Last Man Standing"....  

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2017, 17:25 Mr. Tact

Haha, yeah saw the Drew Pearson clip on a sports show. Did you see the clip of the person (don't remember who it was) announcing a Jets selection and he spelled it out.. the "J - E - T - E - S", JETS!"  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization May 1, 2017, 10:17 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2017, 00:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 22:45:
Probably comes from being a heavy reader as a youngster...

Yup, Mr. Tact, you're special. The people spending literally hundreds of dollars on e-readers, so that they can get books quicker? They weren't heavy readers as a child. Only you were! The ones at least as dedicated to reading as you are weren't readers at all!

You get how your conclusion that "I must like physical books because I was a heavy reader as a child!" is ridiculous, right? It's kind of Cutter-logic. "I was more special than anyone else, so my opinion is better!" You really never do that, but I had to call it out here. Your post was fine until that part.
Dude, you are reading way too much between the lines. I was simply implying I had developed a habit. Not that I was special. *sheesh* I will say I think I was in the top 25 percentile of reading frequency for my age. I was socially awkward and reading was an escape.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 22:45 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 21:48:
I never understand people who say "get my eyes off an electronic screen." It's like they don't understand what e-paper is and have never seen a Kindle other than the Fires.
I've seen it, but it just feels different to me. Thinking about it a bit, I guess it might "just be mental", but then what isn't? *shrug* Even if I felt the visual was the same, there is something about holding the book and turning the pages which I enjoy and appeals to me.

Probably comes from being a heavy reader as a youngster...

7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 21:33 Mr. Tact

Yeah, if I had to live in a small efficiency apartment I might have a different opinion. Fortunately, that isn't a problem for me.  

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday
7. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday Apr 30, 2017, 18:31 Mr. Tact

I'm not so sure all this D1 and D2 love isn't like the people screaming for Vanilla WoW. Nostalgia is a powerful influence....  

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 18:29 Mr. Tact

Personally, I don't get ebooks. Half the reason I pick up a book these days is to get my eyes off an electronic screen. Plus, I just like physical books, own a few hundred of them... Whatever. If you like them, good for you. I'll take a pass...

/curmudgeon mode off

25. Re: Honest Ads - Why Credit Cards Are A Scam Apr 28, 2017, 11:40 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:39:
"Honest Ads - Why Credit Cards Are A Scam"

That Cracked Honest Ad = PRICELESS xD xD xD xD
Amusing, and mostly on point. However, I would say credit cards are not a scam. They are a financial tool, just like a steak knife is a tool. And just like a steak knife, if you use it incorrectly you are going to get hurt.

I speak from a position of "having been there". When I was in the USAF, I knowingly ran up some credit card debt. That's to say, I knew I was purchasing more than I could pay off and was entering a potential financial death spiral. But I decided at the time to say, "fuck it" -- and if I ended up declaring bankruptcy, so be it. Ah, the arrogance of youth...

I got out of the USAF and found a good job. But by then my debt was equal to about 75% of my annual salary. Most people would have been "caught" without many options at that point. Fortunately, the job was in my home town, so I swallowed my pride and moved in with my parents. I then proceeded to pay off the debt semi-aggressively. It took three years.

These days I never charge anything to a credit card that I won't be able to pay off when the bill comes. Since paying off that debt about 19 years ago, the credit card companies haven't gotten a single penny in interest from me.

5664 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo