Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5060 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
56. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 21:46 Mr. Tact

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 21:39:
Why are states like Florida and Ohio so important? If it's based on electoral votes, wouldn't a state like California, New York, and Texas be more important since they have more or is it because they're historically one way or another and written off?

If Trump lands Florida and Ohio, is that basically his golden ticket?
It's based on the polling. Florida and Ohio are important because the polling is close and they have a lot of electoral votes. California, Texas and New York are basically a done deal (as far as polling is concerned). CA and NY to Hillary, TX to Trump. Although Texas has been closer for a D this time around than it has been for a LONG time.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 21:00:
Retired wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 17:44:
Somewhere along the way, and it is evident here as well, that if you oppose something/someone you hate them. We have lost the ability to be civil and live next to eachother....

Yep, sad isn't it? Today whenever we hear two opposing views almost instantly one side pulls out their cliche insults in an attempt to shutdown the other side as if they have some form of arrested development or didn't mature past their early teen years. I've not been a member of either party for my entire life but it seems that the left uses that tactic far more than the right. I always laugh because they have chosen their sides not being able to see that both the left side and the right have some good qualities that benefit us all. Another funny behavior is those people that refuse to see any wrong with their candidate claiming it is all the work of the other side and their new network while they look at the opposition as naive. Too ironic.

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about this. But haven't really come up with any useful answers. I lean left, but I do have some right leaning opinions. The standard label of "social liberal, fiscal conservative" is close, if not precise. A former co-worker, let's call him Frank, is someone I worked with pretty regularly for 20 years, and someone I socialized with too -- we were on a bowling team together for 8 years or so. Frank is far more conservative than I am. Frank listens to Rush, Hannity, and the rest. I know Frank pretty well. And even though our political discussions were occasionally loud neither of us really ever got "mad".

But this election was the split. We don't talk politics any longer. To me it is clear -- Trump is unfit to be President. Yeah, Hillary is a terrible canidate. But she is qualified. But Frank can not or will not see that. And I personally find that unacceptable.

Frank is a smart guy. He is not some hillbilly punk. He is not a racist. He is an average guy, who goes to church on Sunday and has a wife and two kids. If Frank can't see past the right's cloud of nonsense, the country is doomed to this "new normal".

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2016, 14:48 Mr. Tact

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 14:43:
That picture of Donald looking over to see who his wife is voting for is priceless.
Missed this, do you have a link?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 13:55 Mr. Tact

I agree, there is no going back to "local" government. Everything and everywhere is tied in to all the other things and places. Even if you could, it wouldn't be much different. Some portion of the group is going to be unhappy with the choices. Isolationism is short-sighted. As hokie as it sounds, we (as in the entire world) really need to start working together much better.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 12:33 Mr. Tact

Indeed Verno. Unless both houses of Congress and the Presidency is held by the same party, it is likely we will see a continuation of obstructionism. And even then, filibuster rules in the Senate are such that barring a solid 60 vote block, neither party will be able to accomplish much.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 10:56 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 10:41:
Nothing to fear, the idiocy that was trump will fade away and normalcy will return.
Speaking colloquially, "From your lips to God's ears." However, I sincerely doubt it. I think the only chance for that is an electoral landslide for Clinton. Which is not outside the realm of the possible, but not particularly likely. Barring a total slaughter at the ballot box, Trump supporters will simply say/think they are "this close". That if the GOP had fully supported them, they would have won. And their anger will renew, again.

I greatly fear this is the new normal. I hope I am wrong.

Oh and I voted early this year for the first time ever -- about two weeks ago. I doubt I'll ever vote on "election day" ever again. Assuming of course they continue to allow early voting.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 09:42 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 03:42:
It's all going to depend on the insurance companies. Once they realize they discover that computer drivers have 1/10th the accidents that humans have, they'll jack the insurance price on human drivers pushing all but the wealthiest to adopt automated driving. If you don't think that can't happen within a few years, you don't know much about capitalism.
That is possible, it is also possible laws are passed to keep insurance companies from doing it. Never underestimate the capacity of the general public (and the politicians they support) to be stubborn or stupid.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 21:52 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 20:00:
Most drivers are overly sure of their own ability and awareness until they are actually in an accident. It has basically been proven that humans can't actually do 2 activities at the same time at full mental capacity (multitask) and we are limited to our 5 senses and their ability to perceive the world. There is not too much that a human can actually do better than a machine anymore.

I agree that 10 years might be optimistic, but 20 probably isn't.
Yeah, my counter to his argument is how often I see stupid drivers doing things which are risky, which no automated system would do. Twenty years is a long time when talking about technical innovation, so that might be long enough. However, even if the technology gets there, you still have to get past the social portion. People will stubbornly insist they don't want to give up their "control".

I mean think about it -- we can't even get the US government to stop making pennies despite the fact it costs 1.7 cents to make one. Eliminating pennies and paper one dollar bills would save literally millions of dollars every single year. Yet we don't do it.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 19:35 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 15:12:
Regardless, I doubt many are buying cars 10 years from now. Some Uberesque entities will own fleets. Want to go somewhere? Call a car, and an automated one will be there within minutes unless you live in the most remote, rural areas.
While I would certainly agree driver-less cars are making good strides, I'm pretty sure we won't live to see this level of driving automation. This is subject is actually an on and off again discussion with a buddy of mine. And I'm the pro automation guy. He talks about how every day when driving that he sees situations he doubts a driver-less car could deal with.

It will come... I think 10 years is overly optimistic.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 11:02 Mr. Tact

I did a similiar thing in 2006. Emailed several area dealerships with the model and packages I wanted -- asked for prices. One came back with a price that was within $50 of what I was looking for. Said yes via email and then waited for the car to show up (took them a couple of weeks to get a manual transmission version). Once they had it, I had friend drive me over, did the paperwork which took about an hour, and drove off the lot and home.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2016, 19:48 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 17:23:
It is just plain stupid and totally unnecessary. It should have ended decades ago. But like most stupidity, I don't expect it to end any time soon...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2016, 17:23 Mr. Tact

WaltC wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 16:01:
People who see it as a this horrible burden--I wonder how they manage having to get up and get to work *every* morning...;) It must be a life and death struggle for them...;)

Every year...it's the same thing. Waaa--waaa..."Do I have to set my watch? Waaa-waaa..."It's so *hard*!" Sheesh.
If you want it to be light when the kids are catching the bus, start school later. Meanwhile studies have shown an increase in accidents following the time change as people "adjust".

Prior to my glorious retirement, it was four times a year because I worked on a regular basis with people in the UK, who switch to and from DST on a different schedule than the US -- and it WAS a PITA. Mainly because it meant the "change window" for work orders, changed twice in a couple of weeks and if you entered a ticket with times outside the window it would get rejected. So, on a Wednesday before the time change when submitting a ticket to be executed the following week, you'd have to remember the time change, adjust your ticket appropriately, and then hope the clown reviewing your ticket didn't forget about the time change.

It is just plain stupid and totally unnecessary. It should have ended decades ago. But like most stupidity, I don't expect it to end any time soon...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 17:25 Mr. Tact

If I could buy a brand new 1989 Mustang GT, I'd do it in a heart beat. Great car. The one I did get lasted 13 years and I miss it.

1500 rpm in 5th was 80 mph. And as a total idiot I once drove it at 145 mph -- down a road I had never been on before. Ahh, the insanity of youth.

News Comments > Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced
13. Re: Diablo III Classic Diablo Mode & Necromancer Announced Nov 4, 2016, 17:19 Mr. Tact

Checks calendar... nope it isn't April 1st..  

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
43. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Nov 3, 2016, 15:59 Mr. Tact

/whine on

*ugh* Murphy is alive and well...

Bought 2 TB HDs to replace my current two disk Raid 1 setup.

The plan: Shutdown and open the case, hook one new drive up to a spare SATA connection, then boot and clone the existing drive/s to it, then shutdown again, replace the two old drives with the two new drives and let the raid do its' thing copying the freshly cloned drive to the other new drive.

Murphy's plan: Screw me by having the only open SATA connection on the motherboard next to the video card, and essentially under most of the power cabling. In order to connect, I'll probably have to remove the video card to give my hands enough room. What a freaking pain in the neck.

/whine off

We return you to the previously scheduled programming.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 14:08 Mr. Tact

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 13:53:
People still watch baseball?
Even as someone who has sworn off baseball since the 1994 strike, I watched this... headed home at the rain delay from the bar I was at. Caught the finish at home. Congrats to all you Cub fans.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 08:23 Mr. Tact

bigspender wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 19:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 17:23:
bigspender wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 17:04:
Oh look, China is going to export cheap stealth planes - I bet all of the F-35 haters will be changing their minds now.
I assume this was sarcasm, if not -- it should have been.

Why would it be sarcasm?
Because there's is nothing in the article which makes the F-35 less of a joke than it is. It is an ill-conceived and poorly executed project which your grandchildren will be paying for.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2016, 08:44.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2016, 17:23 Mr. Tact

bigspender wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 17:04:
Oh look, China is going to export cheap stealth planes - I bet all of the F-35 haters will be changing their minds now.
I assume this was sarcasm, if not -- it should have been.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Nov 2, 2016, 08:37 Mr. Tact

"Cast iron skillets might seem like a lot of work.." Might? As far as I can tell this is for someone who cooks all the time and is getting bored with it. Thankfully, not a problem for me.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2016, 20:53 Mr. Tact

Weird... was watching the MNF pregame and because the Bears are playing they were talking about George Halas. And they mentioned the Eastland Disaster which I had never heard of before, despite having lived in Illinois for 35 of the last 42 years (was elsewhere during 7 years in the USAF) and having many family members who have lived their entire lives in Chicago. Not sure how this isn't part of well known Illinois lore.  

5060 Comments. 253 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo