Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5511 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 14:05 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 13:53:
Electronic retailers piss me off the most by charging $20 for a $5 cable.
My thought on it has always been, you are paying to satisfy an urgent need. If you can wait 2-5 days (depending) for the cable to arrive, yeah order it online. When I want/need it RIGHT NOW.. I accept I have to pay a penalty. They do have to maintain the building and such, so a higher price makes some sense. Now do they overcharge for this convenience? Yes. *shrug* Whatca' goin' do?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
76. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 13:58 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 13:11:
Collecting crash dumps and diagnostics is directly useful to you, that feedback goes into improving the software. It is really hypocritical to say that when all Google scanning is doing for you is advertisements.
Why would it be hypocritical? I never indicated Google's scanning was beneficial to me, just that I failed to see what they were gaining. As far as this theoretical assistance from crash dumps -- prompt me to up load them or not. In all the years I've used XP and Win7 the crashes have been few and far between. On those rare occasions I probably wouldn't have minded allowing a dump upload. There is no need for the constant data collection other than their desire to exploit it/me for profit. Just as Google is trying to do and failing as far as I can tell.

74. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 13:01 Mr. Tact

I guess it comes down to is this, I do what I can to limit my online profile.

And yeah, Google, Amazon, and any site I allow to setup a browser cookie probably knows more about me than I'd like them to know. But, probably less than many others who have Facebook, Linked-in and whatever other social media accounts -- who share so much more than I do online and are less diligent than I am. And yeah, if you know my address, or real name -- you can look me up on the county assessor's web-site and find out what I pay in real estate taxes.

But it really sticks in my craw to have such nonsense as an installed part of my OS. Especially since I'm certain nothing Microsoft will collect from me will be helpful to me.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 12:49 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 12:14:
Personally I never understood the draw of walking through these huge stores. It's always a pain in the ass finding what you want and takes way too much time. I just want to get in and get out as fast as possible with minimum effort.
True if you don't know where what you need is. However, look at Fry's... freaking huge stores with nearly anything you'd ever want from an electronics store. Pain in the ass if you don't know where it is, but freaking great when you need that one thing NOW. So, there are pros and cons...

72. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 11:17 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 09:31:
What they collect. What the levels of info mean from TechNet.
Cool, good info. Glad to know someone dug through the documentation to figure it out. However, my conspiracy theory sensor (which I try my very best to suppress) wonders if there might be undocumented collection.

I'm not particularly worried about that, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it exists. Thanks.

71. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 11:13 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 08:11:
Google has your whole fucking email trove and you're worried about this, haha. An ad blocker does nothing to really protect your privacy, your devices are finger printed in several different ways.
You know I've never really understood this. What are all you people doing in your email? There is almost nothing in my email which I wouldn't be willing to print and staple to my garage door. A couple of financial documents I sent to my adviser would be the most private. I certainly don't understand why any corporation would consider it a "trove". There are private conversations which wouldn't mean much to anyone else... whatever. Google's supposed reason to "look" at that stuff is to show me targeted ads, which they hope to get paid for. However, since I never see any of those ads I fail to see what advantage they are gaining.
At least you admit that you're holding Microsoft to a different standard than other companies. Microsoft is not changing from past behavior, they have always been a bag of dicks and will always be that way. They exist to make money for their shareholders, not have a hugbox with their customers. They are changing with the times. If you don't like this and its such a huge deal then there are other options out there, go use them. You aren't putting the genie back in the bottle. You can't fight it, they make the software and they sell you a license. You don't own shit and have zero control. I'm not making excuses for them, that's just how it is now. Fuck its been that way for a long time. I like Windows so I'm going to keep using it until they push too far one day and when that day comes I will go use something else. I doubt any of you even give a real fuck about this.
Being a dick is not a good reason to continue being a dick. Of course we can fight it. Now, our odds might be bad, and we may lose, or it might take years to win, but we can fight it. Laws could be written to change their behavior. Just take a look at race relations in the US. Certainly a much harder problem, and it wasn't easy but change was made. Are things perfect? Hell no. But it's pretty easy to say things are much better now than they were in the 1950s -- or before that.

As far as excusing them -- that's exactly what you are doing. You are excusing them from their behavior by saying, "that's just how it is now. Fuck its been that way for a long time." If that's not excusing them, I don't know what you would call it. I will agree with you that many people do put their whole lives on-line. But I'm not one of them, and I'm against any company attempting to do so. Just because Microsoft forces me to sign a licence agreement to allow their activity doesn't mean it is right. Nor does it mean actions can't be taken to stop them.

68. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 22, 2017, 23:40 Mr. Tact

That would be why I almost always use Steam off-line, don't own an Apple product (never have) and why I use a different disposable email address for any website I register for. Google, yeah -- I'll admit they have me, to whatever extent they can get from reading my email and looking at my searches. Not that it does them a lot of good seeing as I'm reasonably intelligent and hence I use an ad-blocker. So they don't get much advantage. (oh, and I've never been on Facebook or other social media sites)

The fact that other companies or individuals engage in any activity is not justification for other to engage in those activities.

66. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 22, 2017, 20:12 Mr. Tact

Okay -- assuming you're right, and I have no reason to think you aren't, the manufacturer probably loaded the drivers for me.

I still think it comes down to what I said before...
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:47:
They are acting like dicks, plain and simple. Is it illegal? Probably not. But it is surely atrocious behavior.

64. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 18:20 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 17:30:
They don't support NVMe or USB3 in Windows 7, but I don't hear you guys crying about that
Err, they don't? The PC I bought 4.5 years ago had USB 3.0 and Win7 and I'm pretty sure it was supported.... but I'll leave the possibility open the 3.0 ports are really running as 2.0 ports, I never checked and probably wouldn't have noticed if they were.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 15:51 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 14:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 14:14:
|RaptoR| wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 14:12:
Hey - did nin ever resurface?
Not yet, He is just on extended hiatus. Blue did get in touch w/him and said all was well.
I miss his quips.

Good to hear, I had wondered if he'd had an accident or medical emergency.
The information we got through Blue was simply that he was taking a break. No indication if it was a loss of interest or other things taking precedence.

60. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 22, 2017, 15:47 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 09:03:
I was trying to stay out of this but I take issue with this comment. More people are on Windows 7 because change takes forever, look at the XP to 7 transition. Despite that, Windows 10 still has a pretty fast adoption rate. It has little or nothing to do with vocal minority stuff online. There is a major shift in computing to more handheld devices, people simply aren't upgrading their laptops as often and desktops are becoming more of a rarity.

Windows 10 is also not spyware. Spyware collects information without user consent. Microsoft does not do this, they have very defined privacy policies you can read online. Users are presented with all of the information and privacy toggles at install time in Windows 10, you can't say they aren't informed or given a choice. The only information collected if you turn these off is "Basic" info which is a non-identifiable machine hash, a list of installed apps and crash reports. The user is also informed that basic info is collected at install time. Should they offer an opt out choice altogether? I would like that but its ultimately their choice, just like its a consumers choice whether they use Windows or not.

I don't know how you can say Windows is a monopoly anymore either. Maybe if you want to play PC games but even then Linux has made major strides. Your comment that the vast majority would be "lost" is effectively nullified by their adoption of other devices running other operating systems, including cell phones and tablets. People can be taken out of their comfort zone, some just prefer not to be.
I'll agree spyware usually infers an unknown collection of information, so calling Win10 spyware is a minor over-reach. However, we don't know what Microsoft is collecting. We only know what they say they are collecting. As far as I know, no one has been able to determine this and Microsoft isn't talking about the specifics of what they collect. As far as setting up only "Basic" information collection during installation -- as I said, we don't know what that is. Additionally, it has already been shown that Microsoft can and has changed those settings in updates. You have to check your setting after any update, which can happen at any time since you have no control over it.

I truthfully don't understand why anyone defends them. They are acting like dicks, plain and simple. Is it illegal? Probably not. But it is surely atrocious behavior. As for Win7 -> Win10 conversions compared to XP -> Win7 conversions.. I'd be interested to see information on that. I honestly don't know if the Win10 adoption is trailing by miles, or is ahead by miles.

You are right about there being an increased usage of phones and tablets and a decreased usage of desktops. But we are talking about desktops OSes... and that's the context of where my "it is effectively" a monopoly comes. Yeah, Mac has a slice, but Windows is still far and away king of the hill. Linux has gotten a lot better, but it still has a long way to go. Do you think you could replace your mother's Windows box with a Linux box? If so, I think I'd really like your mother. Hell, I wouldn't want to do it and I've made a living working on computers since 1989.

57. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 22, 2017, 08:31 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 07:59:
Simon Says wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 16:22:
There's only 1 reason, and its market share, forcing people onto 10.
Holy fucking shit, a software vendor wants people to use their new product instead of their old one?! No fucking way, awesome sleuthing detective.
If that was the entirety of the situation, I actually wouldn't mind. The issue is their new product is unacceptable because it is spyware. Which by the way, is why 48% of desktops are Win7 and 24% are Win10. They are effectively using their "monopoly" of desktops to force people to use this spyware. And before anyone starts blathering on about it not being a monopoly. It is effectively one. The vast majority of people would be lost on any other OS, including on a Mac.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2017, 11:04 Mr. Tact

*ugh*

Good luck on finding a competent and trustworthy contractor, Blue. It is probably harder than it should be.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 15:00 Mr. Tact

Indeed. I'll take the heart health risks and my modern lifestyle, thank you very much.  

31. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 12:06 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 10:20:
What a dumb name. It'll never last.
Main revenue stream as Internet ads? CRAZY! It can't work!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 12:22 Mr. Tact

A definition which said there were over 100 planets is this solar system would seemingly be silly at best. But then, plenty of scientific ideas are/were seemingly silly before being proved. However, this sounds more like a semantic argument than a scientific one. *shrug* Whatever.  

47. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 18, 2017, 10:11 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 09:29:
This CPU stuff is stupid but I don't really sympathize with people still using Windows 7 or Windows 8. What bothers me most about Windows 10 is that it's fine but they keep mucking it up while they fail repeatedly to clone Googles business model. Windows 10 should be celebrated but instead I'm forced to look for new bullshit to disable with every Windows Update.
I have no sympathy for you suffering Win10 when Win7 still works great.

Okay, not really.. but I was illustrating a point. It does seem odd you would make a list of the ad problems in Win10 which clearly at least annoy you and yet you brush off Win7 users complaints of their OS being crippled for no valid reason.

45. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 18, 2017, 02:07 Mr. Tact

Nailbender wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 05:22:
Just wanted to add my voice here - I also don't find ads in Win10 almost nowhere.
So, you do see them somewhere?

The Barnacules Nerdgasm video linked by Simon Says hits the nail on the head. This is total malarkey. This is no reasonable logic behind not supporting Win7 on newer CPUs since Win10 and Win7 communicate with the CPU in the EXACT same way. It is simply Microsoft wanting more people using their information collecting spyware -- aka Win10.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2017, 01:12 Mr. Tact

A little more than "just" -- but yeah, that sums it up pretty well.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2017, 21:12 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 20:14:
An acquaintance of mine is a structural engineer. He always talks about how stressful his job is. Yet I always wonder why, then I recall that, yeah, if he doesn't do his job right he'll likely end up killing a bunch of people.
Yeah.. I suspect the real issue is cost effective design. He could easily design what is being requested in such a way that it won't fail. But doing that within the cost restraints is the problem and battling the management when you don't agree on where that line should be drawn...

5511 Comments. 276 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo