Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7616 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2018, 22:07 Mr. Tact

I am shocked. SHOCKED!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Farming Simulator 19 Video
5. Re: Farming Simulator 19 Video Sep 21, 2018, 17:04 Mr. Tact

I live where you can literally drive for hours at highway speeds past fields of corn and soybeans. And as a young person I was involved in a small way for a couple of summers working for that industry. I appreciate the work and I'm glad someone is willing and able to do the work. Fulfilling, relaxing, peaceful, I could buy, but not exciting...  

News Comments > Farming Simulator 19 Video
3. Re: Farming Simulator 19 Video Sep 21, 2018, 16:48 Mr. Tact

"...filled with exciting new farming activities." -- is it possible the person who wrote this didn't bust out laughing at the time?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2018, 15:14 Mr. Tact

The GOP sponsored corporate raping of American citizens continues...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2018, 15:10 Mr. Tact

Cleveland might not be "the mistake on the lake" any longer and probably does have several worthwhile tourist attractions. But of all the places to go and watch NFL games? It has to be near the bottom of the list for that...  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2018, 13:18 Mr. Tact

Cutter, you attend Browns games? Wow, that almost makes me feel sorry for you.  

4. Re: The Worst Roofing Job Ever Sep 21, 2018, 11:53 Mr. Tact

I don't know if it actually is the worst roofing job ever, but it was pretty bad. It looked to be a very complicated job and clearly the roofer wasn't up to the task.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2018, 11:41 Mr. Tact

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- it would be interesting to see how history will regard this time we live in. I'd love to take a history class on "US Politics 2000-2025" in say, 2200 or so. I can only hope it be looked back on as a naive time which we have risen above... (and yes, I realize that could have a right or left spin)  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2018, 07:28 Mr. Tact

That's more the speculators betting off the news headlines than anything else. Give it some time. Now if the price stays down, that's a different situation.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 23:20 Mr. Tact

I have to say, I've been thinking about this a lot today. I wish I had enough knowledge, drive, and money to work to create such a product. It would take a bit of time, but if done properly it could grow to be a big money maker. Here's to hoping someone else is thinking the same thing and we see a product worth purchasing in the near future...  

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 12:12 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 11:45:
That said, since you mention it, the key generations for my bank are universal devices, so it would require zero efforts by other services to support them (the device cost once 10 accepts a card with chip and a visual challenge code that you scan from the screen that generates a response key based on the chip encryption and a "linking" key that you entered on first use, which is the 2nd part of the private key, 1st part is your personal PIN) ain't very hightech, but yeah.. if your service (or bank) of choice doesn't care you got not a lot of choice.
Thinking about it, I did actually have another fob a while back. It was for accessing a database for work. Think I used it like a dozen times before the company switched up the security and it was no longer needed. But yeah, some sort of universal device which multiple services could utilize is what I'd be interested in. You'd think someone would have created that business/service already. I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee for a secure service like that.

Edit:

Thinking about it EVEN more, as you indicated these key fob authenticators are already available. So it is "simply" a matter of someone creating a service which would allow people to register their device and then get content providers to allow 2FA through their service. Unfortunately I'm guessing the content providers wouldn't be keen on that idea. Additionally, it would be difficult for any service to generate enough consumer trust to make such a venture profitable. It could happen, but I won't be holding my breath.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2018, 23:14.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 20, 2018, 11:31 Mr. Tact

Nine days? Wimps! I'm sure all the participants thoroughly enjoyed the effort.  

News Comments > Valve to Moderate Steam Communities
4. Re: Valve to Moderate Steam Communities Sep 20, 2018, 11:27 Mr. Tact

Have to agree, if this isn't an abject failure I will be stunned.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2018, 11:20 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 11:13:
It's a good thing the doc was not tasked with removing 1 of her hearts.
Yeah, kind of ballsy for them to say they didn't "breach the standard of care" -- you'd think the better play would have been for them to settle and attach a NDA.. *shrug* good luck with that argument in front of any judge or jury.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 10:46 Mr. Tact

I don't know if I'd call you paranoid, but you certainly seem more attuned to security than most. I do limited on-line banking -- basically I have an on-line savings account, but the only transactions are between it and my credit union account (basically so I can get 1.85% on my money instead of 0%). I've never heard of an email service with an authentication fob option. I imagine most people would consider it a hassle, but I'd consider it. A quick Google didn't find anything, can you name some?

Thinking about it, it is amusing the only authentication fob I have currently is for Blizzard. Which, I'm glad I have because of all the hacking around WoW accounts (which I played for about 8 years). Surely I have online accounts at least important as my Blizzard account. But I don't ever recall seeing an option anywhere else to use an authentication fob. Then again, having four or five or more fobs would get to be a pain. What's really needed is a service which can handle these authentications so you could use a single fob for multiple accounts. Now that is something I would definitely be interested in.

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 08:29 Mr. Tact

So, what do you use for 2FA? Email? This guy's email was hack also...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2018, 22:54 Mr. Tact

Need an unforeseen break-thru in capacitor technology....  

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 19, 2018, 22:34 Mr. Tact

The "sim swap" is the scammer programming a phone with the victim's phone number? And having the phone number was sufficient to get into the Coinbase account? And they managed to break into his email? I'm guessing there have been several security failures along the way here...  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 19, 2018, 20:26 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 20:15:
Same here. 10-15 years ago they were great, but they can't compete with the online Wal-Mart.
Given that choice I think I'd have to go with the lesser evil, Newegg.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2018, 20:25 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 14:22:
I wonder how many 11 year old have threatened to kill me over the years in video games... probably a lot.
Yep. That is exactly what I thought when I read the headline.

7616 Comments. 381 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo