Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6679 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2018, 22:23 Mr. Tact

It's a nice town, I lived there for 3 years -- at McConnell AFB.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2018, 21:06 Mr. Tact

First a disclaimer... I am seriously cautious about "believing" statistics. Statistics can and are used to show whatever people want to show on a regular basis. So, that said, take this with a grain of salt... a stat given in the article on the Wichita shooting, if accurate, is troubling.
The lawsuit cites FBI crime statistics showing Wichita has a ratio of one shooting death for every 120 officers a number that is 11 times greater than the national ratio and 12 times greater than the ratio in Chicago.
I suspect the sample size isn't statistically sufficient... but it seems disconcerting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2018, 16:34 Mr. Tact

Reports coming out that HR Masters is headed for the exit. Unclear if he is leaving or being pushed..  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2018, 16:30 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 13:16:
as though the smell didn't carry or cling to them.
Reminds me of a buddy when I was in the USAF, he wouldn't smoke in his own apartment... I thought it was hilarious.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2018, 13:23 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 13:04:
I will never cease to be amazed at how far a nice rack can get a chick in this world.
Doesn't amaze me, I enjoy looking at nice racks.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2018, 12:33 Mr. Tact

Two contributing factors to my pursuit of a career in the computer industry was 1) air conditioning (not common when I was young) 2) you couldn't smoke around computers. There were other reasons, but those two were non-trivial factors in my thinking.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2018, 11:02 Mr. Tact

All I can say is what I would do if my employer was allowing people to take 6-7, 15-20 minute, cigarette breaks everyday but wouldn't allow me to take similar breaks. I'd simply claim I was taking cigarette breaks and leave for an equivalent amount of time.

While I believe smoking percentages in the US are down, it still amazes me how often I see it. It took WAY too long to get it prohibited from public places like restaurants and bars. I always felt so sorry for non-smokers who worked in those places.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 21:05 Mr. Tact

The JWST just got delayed again, although only an additional 1.5 months...

JWST delayed

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 20:54 Mr. Tact

Hilarious. It is a perfect example of who Trump is. --Trump thinking-- People are listening to Pence. I'M THE PRESIDENT! People should be listening to me! --Trump starts to speak--

It means absolutely nothing. I give him about 24 hours to come out saying he NEVER said grab the guns first.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2018, 21:10.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 15:19 Mr. Tact

If Carson thinks you can't get a good chair for $5,000 -- I wonder what he spends on a bed... hmm. Maybe a Savior?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 14:54 Mr. Tact

Some people have said (and I have some tendency to agree) that the next major world war will be fought for the control of drinkable water. But at this rate, we may kill off the human race via poisoning ourselves before such a war can start...  

News Comments > Into the Breach Released
9. Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 12:12 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 11:37:
The game ultimately has only a handful of successful strategies, but it becomes how you choose between them. And luck. I've won on Hard with nearly every ship, which is funny, I probably did 200 hours only on Easy because I doubted I could even win on Normal.
I started on Easy for the same reason, made it to the final boss once before getting distracted by something else. I need to get back to the game...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 11:26 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the amazing thing is there are dozens (hundreds?) of sites around the country dealing with nuclear waste problems. Either from government weapon programs or just from nuclear power plants. It is amazing how little press it gets. I saw something recently about issues in Nevada where they did the underground testing.

It is a serious problem which doesn't seem to be and probably won't be getting any better any time soon. We probably should already have several Chernobyl like zones which have been permanently evacuated.

2. Re: Incredible... Feb 28, 2018, 10:35 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Just watched Atomic Homefront. How freaking depressing. I've lived most of my life in central Illinois and never knew anything about this. It makes me wonder what has happened closer to home that I also don't know about.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 08:41 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 23:40:
it might've been difficult before, but with falcon heavy i think it's become trivial to get something out to the L2 lagrange point. it's just a matter of what you send out there to do the repairs. but he sent a car out beyond trans-martian solar orbit. it'd be easy to send something heavier out a mere million miles to L2.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that seems awfully optimistic...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2018, 11:43 Mr. Tact

I'm guessing they don't lay glass pourings that large very often, hence it is probably unusual to be on their knees like that. But you're right about the danger of doing it constantly.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2018, 11:36 Mr. Tact

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for the JWST -- hoping they don't make any unfixable errors. Because unlike Hubble, they aren't going to be able to send someone to fix it after launch.  

13. Re: Woman Tries to Get a Free Ride Feb 26, 2018, 14:19 Mr. Tact

I have to say, I always thought you'd have to be a bit crazy to be an Uber driver. Despite the fact I know someone who I consider very reasonable and stable having done it because he enjoyed interacting with people he didn't previously know. Isn't the pay equivalent to a minimum wage job at best, except rare situations?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2018, 13:34 Mr. Tact

Killer Kane wrote on Feb 26, 2018, 11:28:
Didn't Kevin Smith lose like 85 lbs 3 years ago?
Don't know, but even if he did it is fairly common for people who lose significant weight to regain it...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2018, 10:39 Mr. Tact

I wouldn't bet money on it.  

6679 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo