Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5354 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
69. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2017, 20:24 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 19:59:
This thread is off the front page so at this point only those wishing to participate are still reading.
? Every time someone responds it's back up at the top.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2017, 08:57 Mr. Tact

They seem to love idiots with the gift of gab, and under those terms he qualifies.  

News Comments > Steam Adding 10% GST in AU
28. Re: Steam Adding 10% GAT in AU Feb 22, 2017, 20:45 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 15:04:
Look, a dollar is worth a dollar to a citizen of a country regardless of exchange rates with other countries. Minimum wage, as an example, is the same in the US and Canada - on average - yet, someone working for that same rate in Canada has to work an additional 3 hours for the exact same virtual product. It didn't cost them anymore to make it or ship it, yet you're supposed to put in 30% more work as your American counterpart. Why?

If it wasn't for the fact that to try and combat piracy they drastically lower the prices on those same products in high piracy countries like China, Russia, et al. So even though their dollar is worth less they still get to pay even less - generally 50% on average - than their American counterparts on a dollar to dollar basis. So their dollar, like ours, is worth less, yet they get a discount and we have to pay more. Yeah, that's real fair. This is the same for the poor ol' Aussies.

I suppose the message they're ultimately sending is we - Can/Aus - should really be pirating the shit of software because only at that point will we get the same breaks as China, Russia, Brazil, etc. in order to curtail said piracy. And they wonder why key reseller sites thrive, particularly with countries like ours who continually get F'd in the A on this sans lube.
Wow. Why is Donald J Trump posting on this board using Cutter's logon? Seriously Cutter, with the ability to spout verbiage like that, you should be running for office...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 22, 2017, 18:50 Mr. Tact

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 16:14:
Never even HEARD of this Milo guy before now...
Yeah, I only heard of him last week -- apparently he excelled at trolling liberals at Brietbart. Will probably make millions off a personal Youtube channel after this...

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 16:00 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 15:15:
There's no such thing as 'realtor on your side' because he/she profits by a commission on the higher sale price. Wouldn't be surprised if 'something else, off record' was going on there.
I understand the concern. However, in this particular case my realtor was actually someone I've known personally for many years. Within the realm of possible? Sure. Likely? Not in this particular case. That said, collusion on the price to get an extra $90, only $45 on each side, seems like a risk hardly worth taking.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 13:12 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 12:43:
Didn't get the West Village apartment. Apparently the building management company concealed from my realtor that there was another applicant, and then basically stonewalled her when she asked for more info about why the other applicant was selected over me. My realtor's take was that the building management already had a tenant lined up and just played us to get an extra application fee. In my realtor's words, "Welcome to the world of New York real estate."

She's going to present me with some new listings later this afternoon, and then we'll go from there. Oh well.
Bummer. How much was the application fee?

Don't feel too bad though, this kind of thing can happen even in far less competitive markets. When I was looking for the house I own (with the mortgage company) now I was looking in a specific neighborhood. I had only really started looking, hadn't even signed on with a realtor yet. Found a listing pretty much right where I wanted to be. Called the listing agent, made an appointment for two days later to see the place. Two hours before the appointment she called and said an offer had been accepted on the house. Then a few weeks later the house literally next door was listed, I went to see it on the first day of the listing. The next day I did the paper work to make an offer, only to find out a few hours later there was another offer. At my realtor's suggestion I upped my offer by $1,500. It was a tense six hours before my agent called and said they had accepted my offer. And all this is in a town of a little over 100k.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 11:21 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 11:14:
So why are you moving? Apologies if you've mentioned it before.
Mrs. Blue got a job in PA -- and they are moving there.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 11:12 Mr. Tact

I wish I had your drive Cutter. There are certainly renovations I could do in my home that I would like to have done, but I simply do not have the drive/will power/whatever to do it.

The part you missed about renos prior to sale is people like me who don't want to do that work, or have to worry about it. It is definitely a gray area open to interpretation...

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 20:04 Mr. Tact

Wow. I guess I just wasn't paying attention, I didn't realize you were that far gone. C'est la vie. Do us a favor and go converse with Terry Jones instead of us. Thanks.

As a side note, what is with the Jones clan? Alex Jones, Terry Jones, Jim Jones... dangerous name to have apparently..

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 19:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 18:57:
Snark aside, I don't see the repeal happening. The good parts of it are too popular and too many reps are getting pushback from constituents and insurance companies. The danger I guess is sabotage : some person or group figures out a way to partially defund it and it enters a death spiral. The chance is small but it's possible.
I hope you're right, but I don't have a lot of confidence in something positive happening. The free market can't/won't solve the problem, the ACA was an attempt to fix the free market solution. I doubt you can find anyone who would think the ACA is perfect. But it was the best the Ds could get while dragging the dead weight of the Rs along with them.

It will be interesting to see what the Rs do. For reasons beyond my understanding it seems many people did not equate the ACA with the fact they got coverage they couldn't previously get. And they seem to be protesting the idea of losing it a bit... will the Rs listen? *shrug*

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 18:28 Mr. Tact

To Kxmode:

So, I'm supposed to pray to God for healthcare coverage? Gee, thanks.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 17:19 Mr. Tact

Free wheelin' Illinois -- where the legislators spend every dollar they find and lots of dollars they can't.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 16:59 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 16:14:
Seriously, though, I hate politics with a passion, but I like Google News. Every day I'd see Trump this, Clinton that, ISIS blew up this and that. Sick of it! It's like a plate of juicy steak mixed with brussels sprouts. I just want the steak, but I have to weed out all the disgusting brussels.
Certainly can't say I blame you for feeling that way. And it seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. Unfortunately I feel compelled to pay at least some attention to it. I mean, this stuff can have real impacts on real people. For instance I'm very interested in what the GOP is or isn't going to do about the ACA since I am now getting my insurance through it. I'm wondering if I'll be without health insurance next year, or sooner...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 11:07 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 10:22:
Sad about Cassidy as well.

But the 5th grader asking the police for help with math made my day
It made your day that the police don't know basic algebra? Dementia in all it's various forms sucks.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 22:51 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 21:52:
Thanks! It's $3k/month for a 1bd/1bath.
That not as bad as I might have guessed, although I hate to think what 3bd/2bath might cost. However, I have to say, it makes me feel so much better about my mortgage. Again, good luck.

18. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 21:38 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 19:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 18:15:
descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:15:
Pretty much every state has a law that either requires employers to either accommodate voting through scheduling or pay up to 2 hours for employees to go vote.
I can't say you are wrong, but it's the first time I ever heard of such a thing.
I had never heard of it. But making a blanket statement like "pretty much every state" made me decide to do the onerous task of googling it. And now I pretty much know some of the answer.
The more you know. http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html
In 2016, 18 states had No specific law requiring time off to vote.
I plead guilty to being lazy. Interestingly, my state is one of the states with a law. Yet, as I said, this is the first I have ever heard of it.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 21:33 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 20:52:
Spent most of today touring and applying for a super awesome West Village apartment in Manhattan. It's looking very likely that I'll get it. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys, haha!
Good luck to you.

However, I gotta ask... what price range are we talking about? 'Cause my mostly uninformed guess would be that isn't going to be cheap.

13. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 18:15 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:15:
Pretty much every state has a law that either requires employers to either accommodate voting through scheduling or pay up to 2 hours for employees to go vote.
I can't say you are wrong, but it's the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 Mr. Tact

Care to narrow your new location to a county or two?  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 09:37 Mr. Tact

Haha, looked up "Pennsyltucky" on wiki -- that is a large area...  

5354 Comments. 268 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo