Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6779 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2018, 14:56 Mr. Tact

Oh, and to be clear -- until now I had no clue all those films where from the same director/producer/whatever. I rejected each separately based on their trailers and reviews I read about the films. I was not purposely avoiding Wes Anderson...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 22, 2018, 14:53 Mr. Tact

Damn, missed it.  

9. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2018, 14:50 Mr. Tact

I'd like to think I'm a bigger fan of cinema than the "average Joe". Like I said, I am trying to see as many of the Best Film Oscar winners as I can. And I do occasionally watch films which I'm not particularly drawn to personally, simply because they receive wide acclaim. While I don't go to the theater often in the 2000s I have had three separate "binges" of films through Netflix. In each of the three I watched over 150 films over 8-9 months, so collectively about 450-500 films over 2.5 to 3 years. I just started a fourth binge about a month ago, although currently I'm just catching up on some sci-fi stuff, like "Altered Carbon", "Black Mirror", "The OA", and "Stranger Things".

I'll throw Mr. Anderson's films back into the "consider this" pile. But they're pretty far down the list...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2018, 12:28 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 11:52:
Oh you mean the other side is better?
LOL they make it even easier to see:

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/974450928714747906
Haha! Some great clips there. But yeah, both sides get caught saying one thing and then doing another. My main issue with the GOP is I don't even like many of the things they SAY they want/are going to do...

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 22, 2018, 12:13 Mr. Tact

Well, I don't want them using my machine to create crypto currency. But I'm in no way surprised the attempts to do this are increasing. Anyway, do you actually expect me to respond to Cutter in a serious manner?  

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 22, 2018, 12:00 Mr. Tact

Yeah, but if you are creating it on someone else's dime, who cares?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2018, 11:15 Mr. Tact

Obviously you can if you like, but you couldn't base it on the pay package he just signed.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2018, 11:13 Mr. Tact

Speaking of water issues -- I noticed the other day the NYC water department is actually building a bypass to fix the water leak near Wawarsing -- a leak of approximately 35 million gallons a day. I hope someone is filming the work so we can see a proper documentary after it is all said and done...

Delaware Aqueduct

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Elon Musk's Tesla Pay Package Could Net Him $50 Billion Mar 22, 2018, 10:40 Mr. Tact

As I've indicated before -- at least he puts his money where his mouth is. Read about this yesterday and I think the structure is such he has a reasonable chance at the first couple of goals. But keeping up the growth and meeting the others... well frankly, he deserves the payoffs if he manages to do it.  

6. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2018, 10:34 Mr. Tact

Are you saying you think these films are "must sees" like Casablanca or Citizen Kane? I find that highly unlikely. To date from watching their respective trailers and having read some reviews, I'm skeptical at best that I'd consider it time well spent afterward.

However, I'll admit I have been surprised before. I'm attempting to watch all the Best Film Oscar winning films since 1960. It was the only reason I watched Slumdog Millionaire. It was a good film (possibly great) which I enjoyed watching. My opinion was decidedly less favorable prior to watching it.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2018, 11:19.

3. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2018, 08:17 Mr. Tact

Perfect! Six and half minutes which confirmed I made the correct choice in never seeing any of those films. Definitely makes my top 25 list of useful things I've watched on YouTube.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2018, 21:32 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 20:32:
That only happens because right now most people treat it as a commodity, not a currency. If, somehow, the whole world decided to use it and only it for money, I imagine the value would be a lot more stable. Everyone jokes about that guy who "spent" hundreds of thousands of dollars on a pizza back in the day, but at least he was using bitcoin the way it was meant to be used... The general populace can't even grasp the concept of crypto, so that's all it is to them, a joke.
You are right at some level, but I think you are overly optimistic. I mean if only somehow the whole world would ...... fill in the blank -- basically not likely. I believe something like Bitcoin will come to pass eventually -- a crypto currency which is safe, stable, and used widely. But it is going to take a lot longer than the enthusiasts think...

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2018, 21:48.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2018, 19:32 Mr. Tact

I'd be willing to bet Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey as much US currency as he can afford that he is wrong about Bitcoin.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2018, 16:01 Mr. Tact

An ISP lying about its' contract commitments and failing to pay fees? I am shocked. SHOCKED!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2018, 15:57 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 14:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 14:07:
Ringo hadn't already been knighted? Did he refuse it previously or something?
are you sure about that, I think this is his first time
I wasn't saying he had refused it, just thought it was odd it had taken this long for it to happen and made an equally odd suggestion...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2018, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Ringo hadn't already been knighted? Did he refuse it previously or something?  

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
7. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:53 Mr. Tact

So, they ONLY made $1.1 billion. Poor bastards!  

5. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:35 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 20:33:
Selling to an Chinese investor called Tencent isn't profit, that's the end of Ubisoft. [...]

And Vivendi made a tidy profit here, that's true. bought em for 730m and got 1.8b .. wow.
Uh, yeah. I was talking about Vivendi. Do you have the a source for the 730m purchase price of the 30 million shares? Because looking at the stock history in 2005 Ubisoft was at $2, which would seemingly mean a purchase price under $100 million. You could be right -- they may have bought shares over time, increasing the cost since the stock price was going up.

1. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 19:07 Mr. Tact

Well, assuming something close to actual market prices, that's a tidy 1.8 billion dollar profit.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2018, 14:09 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 11:12:
Sometimes I wonder if another 1918 Spanish flu would do the world good.
It would lengthen the time until over population totally chokes the planet, but other than that and the millions of deaths, it wouldn't matter much.

6779 Comments. 339 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo