Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4717 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Released
86. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 22:51 Mr. Tact

The TB "gushing" is pretty convincing -- I probably need to upgrade my PC, like I was talking about in another topic, to fully enjoy this though... Maybe I'll get a nice price break on it by the time I get around to that...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 22:22 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on May 13, 2016, 17:33:
During a heatwave of about 27 C a few years back, a nearby hospital sent a warning to parents of newborns to take the child to the local supermarket's chilled food section during the warmest part of the day. I'd be getting worried about my elderly neighbour at that point. Few people have air conditioning as we rarely get much over 20 degrees.
Interesting. A lot of people around here wear sweaters at 20C. Not uncommon to have 30C+ with 90%+ humidity for most of August -- heat indexes of over 35C are common.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 22:14 Mr. Tact

rudra wrote on May 13, 2016, 19:45:
this is like saying every comic book character is the same

its stupid
Gods and comic book characters -- congratulations on making an astute comparison....

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 13:51 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:16:
I wonder which God they're referring to consider in Hinduism there are 330 million to chose from.
Does it matter? They're all the same, including the ones from the "major" religions.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 13:48 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on May 13, 2016, 09:31:
Blue talked about this in OotB a while back. Since then I've found Fahrenheit to be a bit easier to understand but all the same, 0 F and 100 F aren't that much use. That corresponds to -17C and 38C, either of which would be about 10 degrees Celsius past triggering a national emergency.
Where would 38C would be a national emergency, Greenland?

57. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 09:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2016, 04:44:
I'm sure you feel the same way in your personal life which is why your boss makes you work 16 hours a day 7 days a week, and you agree to it heartily. Never mind that you'll die of a heart attack at 50. Everything dies, right?
I'm sure my employer would ask for that if they thought they could get it. I'm not saying it's all bad, and certainly I personally have gotten my fair share of "good". I was lucky enough to be born to a middle class family, in the US, in a time when it wasn't necessary for me to work in the fields as soon as I was able. Compared to a majority of the world's population, I've had it pretty easy.

That said, I tend to be a pessimist and while I've had a "good life" -- I can see the downside to most anything. Hence my mindset of "Life sucks". *shrug* Dislike/hate me for my cavalier attitude if you want, I'll take little offense.

53. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 23:58 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on May 11, 2016, 22:33:
You don't power down at night???

WHY DO YOU WANT EARTH TO DIE, MONSTER

When I worked in an office, I powered down every night. Figured, 8 hours of sleep, 9 hours at work, no reason to leave the PC at home turned on all that time. Now, I'm here far more often and powering off just for the night doesn't seem necessary.

I've wondered for a long time about the arguments about which will give a PC longer life -- being on 24/7 or getting powered down. Never read anything that seemed definitive one way or the other. As for the Earth dying. Bummer. Everything dies. Plants, animals, humans, planets, stars, even galaxies.

Life sucks, and in the end you die. Deal with it.

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 23:50 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:16:
I'm the same way, just not with white noise. If there's a beeping, a whining, a high pitched humming, a rattle... It's going to annoy me and I'm going to find it. But fans? Nah they're fine.
Yeah, I'm usually okay with consistent white noise. I mean, my current PC (a mid-tower) is sitting less than arm's length away, on my desk, and it isn't a problem. BUT... I've occasionally had problems when a PC's fan noise will be just a bit too loud for me -- causing an issue.

On the Puget Systems page I linked, they claim 18 dba under load. And they actually check for things like vibration resonance of the equipment. Is it a bit pricey? A little. But you are talking about a system put together in the US, and includes lifetime labor and technical support, in the US. So, I see it as "the right way" to spend a little extra. I haven't actually bought from them yet, but I plan to.

49. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 22:12 Mr. Tact

When I'm gaming, the PC noise level obviously is not an issue. The issue is when reading Blue's News or other things without an audio component.

In general though, I've found I'm far more sensitive to low level background noise than most. When I still worked in an office, it wasn't that unusual for me to wander into the corridor and start asking people "what is that noise?" And have them say, "what noise?" I'd explain what I was hearing, then they would pause and listen and then say, "oh yeah, I hear it now." And it would be some stupid alert going off on the other side of the office or something...

42. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 18:47 Mr. Tact

Hey Blue, here you go for a quiet, quality PC build - Puget System - Serenity

Edit: typo

This comment was edited on May 11, 2016, 19:29.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
70. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 10, 2016, 14:40 Mr. Tact

I've been considering getting a new PC for a while now. But I just haven't been able to convince myself I need to -- despite the fact my current PC is approaching it's 4th birthday. I currently have a GTX 660 Ti in my PC. I think that I'll at least wait for this now..  

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 07:53 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 9, 2016, 20:00:
Doesn't matter. I'm selling the media, not the movie. I don't own it. Never did. I do own the case and disc however and I have every right to sell it and every right to rip it before I do. It's like when I was younger and I used to have a massive record/tape collection I spent thousands of dollars on. As far as I'm concerned I've already paid for that music, not the medium. The idea that one is supposed to pay over and over again for the same product on a different medium is preposterous.

You don't really believe that do you? You're just talking trash, right?

While I certainly agree if you purchase the album, there is no issue with making a cassette tape for your use. However, when you sell the album now two people have the music and the artist only received proceeds from one. Surely you can see that's not right.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2016, 19:57 Mr. Tact

ventry wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:01:
What a bunch of numbnuts.
It takes all of 5 mins. to fix this.
My Win 10 install NEVER updates without my say so. Nor does it install or reset without my say so.
However don't let that get in the way of your ravings.
Are you saying there is an obvious configuration option to fix this? (I don't have Win 10). Or do you know a "fix" or what?

26. Re: First Female President confirmed May 5, 2016, 15:07 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:40:
Yeah, there is, actually. All you have to do is separate money from politics, specifically when it comes to elections and lobbying. Most politicians spend tons of their time trying to get money to win an election/reelection, which both encourages lobbying and discourages actual politicking. Meanwhile campaigns for national office are so prohibitively expensive a regular Joe doesn't have a shot in hell of getting the exposure necessary for a win.
Okay -- so you are proposing what? Publicly funded campaigns? As you indicated a national campaign takes big money. I've certainly heard members of Congress complain about how much time they have to spend raising money. So some, if not many, might even agree with us. But again I don't see a path to get there.

21. Re: First Female President confirmed May 5, 2016, 09:27 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on May 5, 2016, 04:32:
Problem with that line of thinking is this: Clinton concedes points, Sanders endorses. Que General Elecion, Clinton easily defeats Trump with Sanders support, maybe even VP ticket. 2 Years later, none of the bullshit promises Clinton has made to Sanders or his supporters ever come to fruition and the status quo remains. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Thats the whole problem with elections in a paragraph, they are mostly based on lies. The people who want change, genuine change, know that. If Sanders endorses Clinton, then he is going against everything he stands for.

I'll grant there is at least some truth to what you are saying. The problem is you are over estimating the difference Sanders would make if he was President. The system is totally busted, no one person is going to fix it.

We have really painted ourselves into a corner. The only way to fix the problem is pretty much to rebuild it from the ground up. But there isn't any reasonable way to do it. The best we can hope for at this point is a series of "I'm going to do the right thing, even if it means losing my next election" legislators who start making the tough decisions and starting fixing things one at a time. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

16. Re: First Female President confirmed May 4, 2016, 22:40 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on May 4, 2016, 21:20:
Whether he wins or not, the amount of people who will vote for him reveals how much anger and hate we still have in this country.
Yes and no. Generally speaking 80% of the vote is set in stone for presidential elections. 40% are going to vote for the D, 40% are going to vote for the R (it is actually probably higher than that, but let's low ball it...). However, I do believe a large majority of people voting for Trump in the primaries are actually voting against everyone else. Only time will tell if the trend continues into the general.

Anyway, I'll be surprised if he gets less than 40% of the popular vote -- which in of itself is scary. The thought he might win... *ugh*

14. Re: First Female President confirmed May 4, 2016, 20:17 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on May 4, 2016, 13:06:
RedEye9 wrote on May 4, 2016, 12:18:
Now that Cruz and Kasich have dropped out leaving the official candidate of the WWE, it ensures that the USA will get its first female president.
order has been restored to the force

One would think that's how things will turn out, but then his run to become the candidate was initially seen as a joke. Also while I don't think it will happen with Hillary, the democrats have a tendency to trip and fall flat on their face when they should have a slam dunk.

I wouldn't call it a slam dunk. Hillary definitely has her own problems -- but as I've said before, I'd like to believe there is no way Trump can win the general election. The problem is I would have said the same thing about him winning the GOP nomination. Hence my confidence is not exactly rock solid....

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 20:02 Mr. Tact

You have to wonder how stuff like this ever gets implemented. How did someone involved in the process along the way not say, "Maybe we should give a warning or an option to delay?" It is just such bad planning it really is incredible.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2016, 08:22 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2016, 13:34:
Now, where's that Patreon?
+1

News Comments > DOOM Single-Player Video
45. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 11:55 Mr. Tact

Definitely a wait and see game. I'm kinda doubting it will be worth full price, might pick it up after the price drops.  

4717 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo