Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5752 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 12:06 Mr. Tact

Here's to another 21 years, may we all last that long...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA
13. Re: Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA Oct 8, 2017, 19:14 Mr. Tact

Okay, I admit I am totally ignorant of what Twitch Prime is and what "loot" I could possibly get from it. Is this "real" stuff or just electronic pixels?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 18:40 Mr. Tact

*blort* Didn't know Derek Carr was out. Miracle win by Oakland, doesn't look like it...  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 18:03 Mr. Tact

Yeah, switching gears for me takes no more "attention" than it does for you to apply the correct pressure to the gas pedal -- it really is essentially second nature to me. But more critically, if gives me more precise control of the engine than you get with an automatic.

I have on occasion, made that 11 mile round trip to get a mocha and used my brakes only when I park the car. At least a couple of times including managing to coast to a full stop (something I only do when there is very little traffic).

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 16:58 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:03:
You would probably have a hell of a good time cruising through Ocala traffic. Gainesville is horrible because it's literally bumper-to-bumper, but in Ocala, it's SR200, which is a 3-4 lane drag strip where the traffic is spread out enough to have some fun. I could never get comfortable driving a stick, I'm ok with the gear-shifting part, it's the clutch part that my brain just isn't wired to understand, I guess. I've tried and tried, even virtually with my G25, I usually try to do manual at first but just give up. I just was never meant to drive manual...lol. I prefer to keep my attention on the road around me anyway.
I was essentially forced into it, initially. My first car was provided to me by my parents, and at the time I could not refuse as I had no other choice. My dad bought me a $500 1968 VW bug, this was in 1980. So, I learned to drive a manual by necessity. These days, I've never had anything but manuals (minus about 12 months) and I handle it practically subconsciously. I have had more than one person comment on their first drive with me that they didn't realize it was a manual drive until either after the ride or when I was parking at our destination.

A couple of years ago, I was getting a ring job on the engine, so the dealer gave me a loaner. It was an automatic, of course, and after a week of driving it I was nearly ready to kill someone it annoyed me so much.

It really doesn't take away from my paying attention to other things. And I'm someone who knows if you setup your mirrors correctly, there isn't a blind spot.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 11:45 Mr. Tact

*meh* Maybe occasionally I am a little bit of a jerk, but most of the time I am simply driving reasonably and the people who are seriously interested in hurrying screw themselves.

Specifically, if I am slowing down for a red light, and someone thinks they'll be faster by switching from behind me, only to realize they are wrong as I coast by the stopped traffic, which drove at the speed limit until they had to break for the light, and then light changes to green -- allowing me to drive past them because I didn't stop, isn't being much of an asshole...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 10:22 Mr. Tact

I find my driving amusement on my mostly daily iced mocha run. It's about 5.5 miles on a 4 lane cross town thoroughfare with the speed limit varying between 35, 40, and 45. I drive a manual transmission and I pretty much make a game of it to attempt to make the drive without using my brakes. Secondary to that I love to vary my speed just enough to screw lane swappers whenever I can. Nothing brings joy to my heart more than when someone switches lanes behind me to the other lane because I am slowing down via downshifting while approaching a red light. Only to see that same person switch lanes again to be behind me again...  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 22:38 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:27:
The only Star Trek future we'll be living in is the one on Ferenginar.
Yep. I hope we will change/evolve over time... (read centuries) but I wouldn't bet much on it.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 21:02 Mr. Tact

By the time the GOP is done, it's going to cost you a couple of million to get health insurance...

But yeah, he is an idiot. Sells the website for $51m and that's not enough? This is the part of the human mindset which will make reaching a Star Trek like utopia extremely difficult.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 20:18 Mr. Tact

Lulz, was reading an article on Tesla's problems with the Model 3 and found this juicy tidbit:

"At the current rate of production, it would take nearly 450 years to fulfill existing Model 3 preorders."

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 11:54 Mr. Tact

"Evocatus (plural Evocati) was the Latin term for a soldier in the Roman army who had served out his time and obtained a discharge (Honesta missio) but had voluntarily enlisted again at the invitation of the consul or other commander."  

91. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 07:45 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:34:
Guess who needs another hurricane to raise his poll numbers.
They sure didn't stay up very long.

32%. Ouch, that's positively Nixonian.
Unimportant. As the article states, the GOP support was 67%, which is down some but still plenty more than he needs to continue...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 15:14 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:51:
Oh I don't think they were complicit, it was probably just a software exploit.
We'll see... If I had to guess, I'd agree mostly likely an exploit, but these days you never know for sure.

9. Re: Blade Runner 2049 (no spoilers) Oct 6, 2017, 15:11 Mr. Tact

Went and saw it at the 10:40 am showing this morning. *meh* It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I felt confused a good portion of the time, wasn't sure if it was due to my poor observation abilities or an intentional act on the part of the film. I look forward to seeing how it fairs according to the critics, the fans, and by the crowd of this humble site.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 10:17 Mr. Tact

For now, it is unclear how complicit Kaspersky is or isn't in this situation. That said, years ago I didn't use their software for the very reason they were based in Russia. I don't know if that makes me paranoid, but I certainly feel better about my decision now.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 22:06 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 21:49:
And from the hypocritical right to life party, Republican Tim Murphy resigns from Congress after asking his pregnant gal on the side to have that thing sucked out
Do as I say and not as I do, thanks bro
Actually, the only surprising thing about this is he is resigning over it. If all the hypocrites in Congress resigned -- I don't know how many would be left, but I'm fairly sure it would not constitute a quorum.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:43 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:33:
Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.
I'm using AVG. The one down side is it occasionally (once or twice a week? maybe less) gives a pop-up to prompt you upgrade to pay version. It is infrequent enough that I haven't bothered to go looking for something else.

5. Re: Steve Jobs Oct 5, 2017, 10:23 Mr. Tact

How is this the foretelling of Apple's downfall? Unless someone can show me the sales guys are making the decisions at Apple now -- which might be the case, I actually don't watch Apple that closely. But last I checked Cook was still running the show.  

12. Re: Google's "real-time" language translation Oct 4, 2017, 19:50 Mr. Tact

If this works anywhere close to as well as demonstrated early in this video, it is pretty damn amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Je5UklCcXY

63. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 09:28 Mr. Tact

I'm pretty sure everything you said Prez is true. What I didn't see was a suggestion. Are you just throwing your hands up in the air and giving up? Yeah, it is a huge, complex problem. One step at a time, every marathon starts with a single step.

You mentioned the Civil Rights movement, in some ways that is a reasonable comparison. The way guns are, as you indicated, deep in our culture. So it was with the way blacks were treated in our culture. It has been 50+ years since the Civil Rights movement, and we still haven't achieved the "true" goal, which marching Nazis in Charlottesville proves. But we've made significant progress in the last 50-60 years.

We need to start taking the steps in gun control, and maybe 50 or 60 years from now, doing what Australia did won't be so impossible.

5752 Comments. 288 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo