Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6775 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 20:35 Mr. Tact

It can be very hard to spot suicidal tendencies in people. Basically, if you are not in a close personal relationship with the person you are very unlikely to see or notice any signs, assuming there are any.

The rate isn't going to do anything but go up with baby boomers getting increasingly older.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: We Literally Have No Idea What This Driver Was Thinking. Jun 7, 2018, 23:29 Mr. Tact

I assume at first he/she was just being an idiot getting out of the traffic jam on the Interstate. But as he/she started backing up, a passenger starting laughing their ass off. By the time they got off the ramp, it was "fun" -- so he/she just continued on...  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2018, 08:43 Mr. Tact

I am suddenly reminded of the 3rd Combat Communications Group's motto. Saw it on a t-shirt once when I was on Tinker AFB. They call themselves the "Third Herd".

"We train for war, anything less is bullshit."

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 20:03 Mr. Tact

Well, I knew that much. Stalingrad is a majorly famous battle, "Not a step back .. not one step back". But the fact more Russians died does not mean Russia was more of a factor in the defeat of Germany than the Western allies (let's not give all the credit to the US).

Hell, Simon suggests (as least as I read it) that Germany would have fallen anyway, due to Russia. I'm not taking that as gospel, but I'm admitting limited unbiased knowledge. He might be right. I want to say he isn't, however I am currently unable to offer a factual argument to deny it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 18:40 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 18:10:
Operation Overlord didn't lead to the end of WW2, the Russian push that already had the whole German army rooted and on the run did. Operation Overlord's real main goal was to prevent a total takeover of western Europe by the "bad commies".
An interesting spin, which I admit I can not knowledgeably deny. I'm a victim of culture centric history lessons, so I've heard a lot about what the US did and not so much about what Russia did.

News Comments > Blizzard Reveals "Unannounced Diablo Project"
28. Re: Blizzard Reveals Jun 6, 2018, 16:25 Mr. Tact

Well, you can play WoW from the first person perspective, but I wouldn't suggest it..  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 13:26 Mr. Tact

Cool. Again, interesting stuff -- thanks for the info.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 13:05 Mr. Tact

Nullity wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 13:01:
Glocks don't have a traditional safety mechanism, but rather a more complicated system consisting of a trigger safety and two other internal safeties. The trigger has an additional small switch that must be depressed at the same time (sort of like 2 triggers at once) otherwise it can't fire. When that trigger safety is depressed, it also disengages the other two internal safeties.

(Yes, I own a Glock. No, I'm not a Republican/conservative. )

EDIT: Damn, Agent.X7 beat me to it by a couple minutes.
Interesting. Would you rate the Glock system as better, worse, or about the same as a more traditional safety?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 13:02 Mr. Tact

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 12:59:
They don't have external safeties on their duty pistols. Glock or Sig.
Really? Wow, that is interesting. Is there some kind of reasonable logic behind that design decision?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 11:58 Mr. Tact

For the first time it occurred to me today to wonder what the "D" in D-day stood for... apparently, it stands for "day". The day before June 6th 1944 was D-1, the day after was D+1. Possibly the only amusing thing about the date...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 11:52 Mr. Tact

The safety wasn't on? Can it come off that easily? Only ever fired shotguns and during my service a M-16 for qualifying...  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2018, 00:07 Mr. Tact

No need to slow to a crawl, getting down from 58 to 40 would have helped considerably, he didn't slow at all, until the last moment. Not sure if he was actually aware of the vehicle to his right or if he waited so long he realized a lane change wouldn't help.

As to my own habits, I am one of those few "crazy" drivers who doesn't tailgate. Not that the truck was tailgating. But basically every time I'm on the local Interstate driving to the other side of town I see people driving 60+ mph within two car lengths of the car in front of them. Madness.

News Comments > NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition Details
9. Re: NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition Details Jun 5, 2018, 23:56 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 23:05:
He should have golfed or played tennis if being the single best means that much.
I've always considered golf as the hardest competition sport. Is there any other major professional competition where you are up against every other participant simultaneously? In the "less than major" area, probably something like competition shooting, but I doubt you can make millions doing that. Golf also has the interesting mental dynamic of you want to remember so much about greens, hole layouts, and swing mechanics, but wanting to forget every time you screwed up and put it in the drink.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 23:01 Mr. Tact

Even so, he honks before hitting the brakes... not the order of operations you would hope for.  

News Comments > Blizzard Reveals "Unannounced Diablo Project"
2. Re: Blizzard Reveals Jun 5, 2018, 22:23 Mr. Tact

Expecting nothing, hoping for the best.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 19:49 Mr. Tact

Hoop wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 18:14:
We need a report to tell us hugging cold silicone with a thousand yard stare is not healthy? Enough about my wife.
*chuckle* Would your wife appreciate that joke?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 18:31 Mr. Tact

Blizzard confirms Diablo project in the works...  

News Comments > NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition Details
3. Re: NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition Details Jun 5, 2018, 13:15 Mr. Tact

Even Wilt and Jabbar didn't win every year. Westbrook probably deserved it for 2016-17. There's no doubt Lebron is the best single player on the planet, currently. However being the best and being the most valuable are not necessarily the same thing. That said, there is a reasonable argument to be made Lebron should have won for the last five years at least...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 12:55 Mr. Tact

I think that truck driver himself might have been distracted. He doesn't start slowing down until after he's hit the horn...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2018, 17:38 Mr. Tact

It is a long ways to go before this might be widely available, but always nice to see the positive stories on cancer.  

6775 Comments. 339 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo