Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7767 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2018, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2018, 18:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 24, 2018, 13:27:
Congrats to the Mega Millions winner, especially because you live in South Carolina, one of eight states were you are allowed to claim the prize anonymously. Heck of a deal.
I was hoping it was someone who comes here and they were going to celebrate by buying all the Blues regulars a ton of games.

So if they take the payout - which I'm guessing everyone does - it's half, right? Still 750 mil or whatevs. That's just effin crazy.
The cash amount was just over $900m, and the feds take 37% off the top. So, a bit south of $750m but still plenty. If you actually spend some time thinking about it. The prospect is daunting. Especially, if you couldn't claim the prize anonymously. Even if you can or are smart about it and hide as well as you can behind trusts, people are going to figure it out. Anyone you know personally, is going to figure it out even if you don't tell them directly. And eventually, word will leak out.

Hence, you will have people pestering you for money. Is this reason not to claim a winning ticket? Probably not. But isn't just people asking for money, it is the idiots who will try to break into the house because "you must have money laying around". Truthfully if you gave me a choice between the $1.5B and the $1M prize I would be tempted to take just the single million. Pay off the mortgage, and live mostly the same life with just a bit more financial security. Not saying I would, but I would definitely consider it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2018, 13:35 Mr. Tact

yonder wrote on Oct 24, 2018, 09:03:
Except for the fact that those two examples are in the current Americana zeitgeist. No one not in the fray has any clue what "WontBeErased" means.

A better example is like how in 2010 Coca-Cola used a "2 girls 1 cup" reference in a FB post.

It's COMPLETELY believable that someone, even today, doesn't know what 2 girls 1 cup means. An Aussia MP is currently in trouble for not knowing that "it's okay to be white" is a saying popular w/ the Extreme Right. It's perfectly believable that he didn't know what it was (though just a cursory investigation of something that is CLEARLY political would give appropriate results).
This argument would seemingly be moot since they have admitted they were attempting a pun. Which is admitting they knew of the other usage.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2018, 13:27 Mr. Tact

Congrats to the Mega Millions winner, especially because you live in South Carolina, one of eight states were you are allowed to claim the prize anonymously. Heck of a deal.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2018, 13:59.

News Comments > HELLGATE: London Returning (Again) Next Month
2. Re: HELLGATE: London Returning (Again) Next Month Oct 24, 2018, 12:14 Mr. Tact

Third time is a charm? I wouldn't bet money on it.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2018, 11:35 Mr. Tact

Yep. At our weekly NFL gathering I commented if the NYGs were smart they would be shooting for the #1 draft pick. Any game they win this season is a lost opportunity.  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2018, 23:26 Mr. Tact

Like I said, there are problems. But "ever" is a long time and there no reason to think scientific advances are about to stop abruptly. Will I as a 55 year old, live to see a successful manned mission to Mars? Probably not. But I'm guessing it will happen in less than 200 years.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2018, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 19:52:
Did you know bovines are red-green colorblind? As a result, bulls respond to the motion of capes, not its color. Smart
I knew they were color blind -- can't say I knew which kind, but did know the cape color was not important. Live in the Midwest and you learn some random things about farming...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 23, 2018, 16:04 Mr. Tact

MacLeod wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 15:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 13:28:
Shocking, another terrible headline. The previous champ was using and had used in the past, the same technique.

The article says:

"Unlike many other top players, including Neubauer, Saelee uses hyper-tapping, a technique that requires players to press the D-pad rapidly at the the correct intervals in order to move Tetris pieces in different directions without losing speed."

So, apparently saying the previous champ uses that technique is incorrect.
Apparently I misread that, totally my mistake.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 23, 2018, 15:17 Mr. Tact

And yet, heroin usage continues pretty much unabated. I think it is safe to assume the same will be true for social media.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 23, 2018, 13:28 Mr. Tact

Shocking, another terrible headline. The previous champ was using and had used in the past, the same technique.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 23, 2018, 13:21 Mr. Tact

Kajetan wrote on Oct 21, 2018, 04:40:
Ignorance is the deliberate descision to NOT know something,
Actually, what you are describing is something called "willful blindness" when you intentionally keep yourself unaware of something, usually in an attempt to avoid legal (civil or criminal) culpability.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2018, 12:54 Mr. Tact

If only my poop had plastic in it I might not mind so much, but I suspect more than is good for me is being left behind...  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2018, 12:09 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 12:02:
Nor will we ever.
Ever? Don't know about that. We really aren't too far from being able to send people there. Yes, there are problems to solve, but none of them are thought to have solutions which are centuries away. But then again, I'll concede our chances of self destruction might get in the way...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 23, 2018, 09:44 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 19:50:
More programming and less crying.
Really? From what I could tell we need Linus to be more reasonable and less of a dick. You don't have to be an asshole to be a good programmer or a good project manager.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2018, 19:24 Mr. Tact

Actually, my sister needs to meet a doctor like that. She, like you, has had a series of doctors shake their heads unknowingly at a myriad of symptoms she has.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2018, 19:20 Mr. Tact

I agree there will at some point be a digital global currency. But no one has missed the boat on it yet. It hasn't been created yet.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2018, 18:52 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 15:28:
Intel just pulled the plug on their struggling 10nm process
You might have a long wait.
Intel is claiming that reporting is not correct.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2018, 18:50 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 18:00:
Thanks Seph. It's simply amazing how it all boils down to seeing the right person. A dozen different doctors and a million tests later and they were all, 'Sorry, dunno what the problem is.' This guy walks into the room, asks me a few questions and literally within 2 minutes finds the problem. I was in the big city today for 4 hours of testing which confirmed his diagnosis. They say he's one of the best in the country and now I know why.
His name wasn't "House", was it?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2018, 13:18 Mr. Tact

My assumption would be it is simply a front to funnel funds to top government officials...  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2018, 12:54 Mr. Tact

Armengar wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 12:43:
that 757 pilot has large pair of steel ones. Male or female, large pair of steel ones.
Yes, very nicely done. I'm wondering at what windage do they close the airport....

7767 Comments. 389 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo