Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5235 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 13:27 Mr. Tact

Passengers wasn't great, but it was fine. Life has potential, we'll see if they fulfill it any better than Passengers did.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 13:24 Mr. Tact

Anyone who doesn't know their taxes are going for professional teams stadiums simply are not paying attention. Heck, many times they actually vote for referendums to support the spending. And in the cases they haven't, they elected the legislators who pass the bills. *shrug* You get what you vote for...  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 5, 2017, 08:22 Mr. Tact

If I am looking for a specific trailer, I'll go to YouTube. What I originally used IMDB for a lot was perusing movie trailers for both upcoming and recently released films in order to find films to either go and see at the theater (not so much) or put them in my Netflix DVD queue. It used to be a good place to do that, it had separate trailer lists for "recent", "popular" and something else I can't remember off the top of my head -- they dropped the third one. Anyway, it used to be you'd only find movies in those lists -- not anymore.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 4, 2017, 22:34 Mr. Tact

I never used their message boards but I have to say I'm less and less pleased with their site. I'm tired of having to weave through tv series and computer game trailers while perusing trailers for a movie to watch. More the computer games than the tv shows, but still even the tv shows annoy me a bit. I understand why it's there, and it is completely reasonable, but they need better separation IMHO.

Or maybe I am just being a whiny curmudgeon -- it is my job after all..

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 22:27 Mr. Tact

One of the main reasons Babylon 5 and DS9 are both good is the series long story arcs -- they really make a difference. Hell, Babylon 5 was practically better the second time around when you knew what was going to happen and noticed all the foreshadowing you missed the first time through...

If ever I won a large lottery -- funding blu-ray versions of those series would definitely be on my list.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 21:28 Mr. Tact

It's unfortunate there are real technical hurdles to getting a HD version of DS9, which in my opinion is nearly an equal to TOS and well ahead of TNG and Voyager. The timing on the TNG blu-ray was really unfortunate. If it had sold very well, that would have been enough reason for CBS to remaster the others. *sigh* "Que sera, sera"...  

46. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 16:40 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 14:32:
Perhaps I'll make the move for retirement, when an Internet connection isn't so important.
Pfft. My usage went up when I retired.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2017, 12:32 Mr. Tact

The bet would have to be pretty substantial before I would attempt this. An idiot doing it for free, priceless!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 11:40 Mr. Tact

Or the coal mines dumping their waste directly in to streams/rivers due to regulation removal...  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2017, 20:21 Mr. Tact

DSL is distance based, the closer you are to the phone company "central office" the better your bandwidth. You are never going to get it to work in a rural location. I live in a city of 100,000 and I can't get DSL because the cable distance from my house to the central office is too far.

You have discovered the hard way one of the cons of living in a rural area. There are pros too, and depending on your priorities, maybe enough of them to make it worth it. But if broadband is high on your list, unless you have big bucks (to pay a telco to drag a fiber to your home), you need to live in a city. Doesn't have to be big... even towns of 3-4 thousand will have cable tv and hence have broadband. Just the way it is, ten years from now it might be a different story. Maybe.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2017, 16:30 Mr. Tact

Not seeing AI before I die, is number #2 on my lifetime disappointments list -- interstellar travel being #1. Although, if we ever get AI, it might solve interstellar travel for us.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2017, 16:26 Mr. Tact

Task Manager.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2017, 16:08 Mr. Tact

Easy, if you are running programs that use more than 4G, the RAM. If not, the SSD.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2017, 11:47 Mr. Tact

Never gets old, thanks Blue!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: millennials deserve a Feb 2, 2017, 23:17 Mr. Tact

To hell with the Millennials.. we ALL need a banking solution which will make the banks look like Blockbuster to the new solution's Netflix.

I didn't know the Blockbuster CEO had poo-poo'ed Netflix as late as 2008. That's pretty crazy, by then the writing was clearly on the wall. ... Went back and looked, Jul 2008 through Sep 2009 I went through 155 movies from Netflix.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2017, 19:53 Mr. Tact

That wasn't a TV series in the normal sense, more of a miniseries. A Dune series on the scale of the Battlestar Galactica remake, if well done, would be very cool.  

80. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2017, 11:12 Mr. Tact

I'm sure Iran is quaking in this boots.. "on notice" OH NO!  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2017, 10:31 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 01:07:
This is fucked up...

http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332
Wow. That is some seriously stupid corporate think. However, I have little doubt that management is patting themselves on the back over their great plan.

78. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2017, 23:30 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 22:18:
The media is already moving onto his Supreme Court pick and he's already moving onto 2 other things.
Indeed. Threatening the President of Mexico with an invasion of US troops and hanging up on the PM of Australia... I'm sure more is to follow soon.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2017, 12:47 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 22:12:
Libre is fine for most things. Serious spreadsheets and presentations it is not, but I wouldn't much care outside of work.

And I wouldn't want to submit a resume from Libre, unless it's been made a .pdf, because you never know what version of Office it's being opened in (and it is being opened in Office) and how it would print.

Otherwise? For 99% of home users it's fine, because those people never get into power user situations. For power users, Excel and PowerPoint or bust.
Yeah, even at work I was never really was a power user of either -- just never needed to be.

I thought the standard for electronic resumes had been .pdf for a LONG time.

5235 Comments. 262 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo