Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6794 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft Is Life: A 20th Anniversary Celebration
5. Re: StarCraft Is Life: A 20th Anniversary Celebration Mar 31, 2018, 22:25 Mr. Tact

StarCraft is/was a great game. But frankly, the video is a bit depressing. First, how many of those people were actually out of grade school when StarCraft was launched? Second, yes it is/was a great game, but it is not "life". There is so much more to living than any game... (says the guy posting on a gaming site... -- yes, I am aware of the irony)  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 20:44 Mr. Tact

Yep. Welcome to the ugly side of capitalism...  

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
18. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 20:27 Mr. Tact

I haven't done a careful look at Rimworld, but the impression I got with what I have seen is there's more combat/conflict than I care for. I like building games to be centered on building. When I played my many hundreds of hours of SimCity 2000, I played with the disasters turned off. Are there options in Rimworld to reduce the amount of combat you have?  

17. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 20:16 Mr. Tact

Numinar wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 19:30:
But they eventually get REAL nasty, and almost act like a timer as the big fuckers will soak up lasers and bullets for days. Setting that wall up with trains that resupply repair and rearming robots might make it maintenance free in terms of your time (the most precious of resources) but as with resource and water distribution funding those just right settings for your preferred style can be a challenge. Iím all about that rail world preset and variants of it which neuters the critters somewhat.
*meh*

In the end game, when power is a total non-issue due to you having either nuclear power or large fields of solar panels and you have sufficiently researched your laser upgrades it is just a matter of taking the time to setup the defenses.

I have a map which traveling east to west takes a Locomotive without cargo cars and using rocket fuel a five full minutes to cross on a nearly straight path, some minor kinks but nothing worth mentioning. The map is at least as tall as it wide. And I have that entire area walled off and covered with enough laser turrets that I rarely even see damage alerts. And even when I do, I tend to ignore it since I have the entire wall covered with roboport construction zones. Each roboport having 25 robots, walls, lasers, power poles, and 100 repair packs. It has been literally 100s of hours of game play since the last time something was actually destroyed.

14. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 17:29 Mr. Tact

As HoSpanky and Peter M Smith indicated there are enemies. They are configurable just like the resources for how often they appear and how big their bases are -- as well as the options to make them "peaceful" they only attack you when you attack them or to eliminate them completely. In early versions you needed items you received from killing them for some late game items. That's no longer the case.

Their very presence is a bit of a philosophical argument among the community. It does fit the "story" of the game and does provide some additional challenges/obstacles. However many feel the game is about building and designing your base/factory, not fighting aliens. In the early game they can be dangerous. However unless you have cranked up their numbers in the beginning configuration, by mid game they are not too much of a bother. In the end game, they are nothing more than an annoyance.

Personally, I've played long games both with and without enemies. Go with whichever option sounds better to you. If you do play with them, I suggest configuring the game with a large starting area to give you some breathing room at the start of the game. Don't delay your turret research too long...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2018, 11:35 Mr. Tact

WaltC wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 10:26:
I'm automatically opposed to Fake News...;)
So, you believe Comcast has consumer interests foremost in their thoughts? An interesting position... I'm guessing you aren't a Comcast customer.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2018, 11:30 Mr. Tact

The translated version is, "We think this should be handled where the GOP has control."  

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
16. Re: Uwe Boll's Rampage Mar 31, 2018, 10:43 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 00:58:
It seems like there has been movies out there with the same name over the years (Bad Boys, The Avengers, etc). I wonder how/why it's permitted.
There are lots of duplicate film names -- in the past I've wondered about that myself...

9. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 09:26 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 08:56:
Guess I should try the demo...
Obviously if you think you might like it, that's the thing to do. I will say if you go into the game totally blind, never having watched a video about it, it can be a bit jarring at the start. Kind of like launching yourself into Minecraft without having any prior knowledge. I watched Let's Play videos of Minecraft before I ever played the game. But if I hadn't, I'm pretty sure I would have landed in a world and walked around for a bit and then said, "Uh, now what?" It never would have occurred to me to punch a tree...

Now, the blind knowledge Factorio experience might be in the same ball park, but at least now the game offers tutorials.

8. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 09:17 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Rigs is in Florida. Maybe he's at work?

I love Factorio, but I am happy to say/admit up front it is not a game for everyone. I want to call it a "complex building game" but complex really isn't the correct word... because you can learn most everything there is to know simply by playing the game.

The comparison to mechanical modded Minecraft is probably reasonable -- although I've only ever watched videos of that kind of Minecraft game play.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 09:08 Mr. Tact

Based solely on the video, there is no reason to attack the creator of the Dark Patterns video. So Cutter, either you are a dog howling at the moon or you know something not in the video. Don't you despise Amazon? The video criticizes Amazon for hiding the option to delete your account. I would have thought this would make you like the guy for calling Amazon out on their bad practices...

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2018, 12:17.

1. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 30, 2018, 21:40 Mr. Tact

Factorio might technically be an "Early Access" game, but in reality it has been a great, playable game for two years at least, and probably longer. I spent 800+ hours on the base game before even trying any of the extensive mods supported by the large and active community.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Next This Summer
29. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 30, 2018, 15:23 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 15:13:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 03:26:
Except, the game I purchased wasn't what he promised. I can't stress how important that is.
If you go by the rules most use here, do not pre-order or buy day one. In the first few days there was plenty of release red flags. As for you didn't get what was promised? Sucker born every minute right?
I'll go farther than that, I think it was pretty clear prior to the original release it wouldn't be everything Murray said it would be. A pre-order or first day purchase of this game should have been a "I'm going to risk it." or a "I don't care if it isn't all there." for anyone who was paying attention.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2018, 15:19 Mr. Tact

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump doesn't like Amazon simply because he doesn't know how to order from them. But his knowing Bezos owns the Washington Post is probably a better guess.

If any of Trump's bankruptcies did not contain "irregularities", I would be shocked. But it is unlikely we will ever find out.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2018, 15:01 Mr. Tact

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 14:46:
The chemical that California is up in arms about is produced naturally when roasting the coffee beans.
If that's true, it makes the story hilarious.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2018, 12:41 Mr. Tact

As for March Madness -- I did the "regular" thing with my buddies. In this case the regular thing for us is a 65" plasma, two 60" projection screens, and a 4k 40" LCD for the least interesting game. Four days of roughly 12 hours per day of basketball with large sides of food, beer, and conversation. There is one guy who flys into town for the event every year. A good time was had by all.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2018, 12:31 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 11:56:
And fuck that guy who made that Dark Patterns video. What an asshole.
I know I'll be sorry for asking, but what the heck are you complaining about?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2018, 22:09 Mr. Tact

I have to say I've missed Lindsay being a public trainwreck -- I found it quite entertaining. (yeah, yeah, I know...)  

News Comments > GOD EATER 3 Details
1. Re: GOD EATER 3 Details Mar 29, 2018, 21:57 Mr. Tact

There was a God Eater 1 & 2?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2018, 20:52 Mr. Tact

Wow, this is disturbing Parkland shooter fan mail -- in case there was any doubt about there being some seriously confused people around...  

6794 Comments. 340 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo