Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7166 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2018, 18:53 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 1, 2018, 18:28:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 1, 2018, 17:30:
Someone needs to teach World Cup players how to shoot penalty kicks. They should all be at least 3, preferably 4 ft off the ground at the goal line. Saw so many bad kicks in the two shootouts today. I thought these guys were professionals?
It's almost like they are feeling the pressure of millions(billions?) of people watching their every move, as their nation's chances fall down to the contact of their foot on the ball, one last time.
Yeah I know, but still... I mean how many 1000s of times have they practiced it? Muscle memory should take over... and so many of them simply fail.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2018, 17:30 Mr. Tact

Someone needs to teach World Cup players how to shoot penalty kicks. They should all be at least 3, preferably 4 ft off the ground at the goal line. Saw so many bad kicks in the two shootouts today. I thought these guys were professionals?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue?
12. Re: Out of the Blue? Jun 30, 2018, 20:52 Mr. Tact

Wish the kid had been here to cut mine today... doing it myself in the 106 heat index sucked.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2018, 21:47.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2018, 18:15 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2018, 14:33:
Hoop wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 16:47:
I was wondering where that arrest vid was going then the chick crawled up past the camera, ooook.
Lol.

Yeah, did not see that coming.
What I'd be interested in knowing is, was it pure stupidity, or were they high? I'm betting stupidity...

News Comments > Out of the Blue?
5. Re: Out of the Blue? Jun 30, 2018, 11:21 Mr. Tact

necrosis wrote on Jun 30, 2018, 11:07:
Can we stop talking about Anthony Bourdain?
*meh* This is pretty much my spin on most "celebrities", period. If they weren't talking about him they would be talking about the Kardashins, Roseanne, or whomever. The noise is constant... 99.5% of it unnecessary and to be ignored.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 13:57 Mr. Tact

That was Rigs! (just kidding)  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 13:56 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 13:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 06:42:
I'm routing for good matches with solid refereeing.

Good luck finding those Video proof didn't really add all that much fairness to the refereeing which surprised no one that watched recent Bundesliga matches They need to figure out a way for this to not be so time consuming and intrusive... or give the job to an AI.
Dude, you need to lower your expectations. I watched a dozen matches and only once did I see a delay which I thought was unreasonable. All the others were nice and quick. You want to see some long delays due to video replay? Try watching some NBA or NFL games. As for the results, from the matches I saw it seemed to work pretty well. There were one or two "it could be called either way" things, but that's always going to be happening -- video reviews or not.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 06:42 Mr. Tact

I'm routing for good matches with solid refereeing.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 22:01 Mr. Tact

Good movie. The key question, given that situation would you believe Dr. Eleanor Arroway? I have to admit I would have difficulty without knowing about the 18 hours of static...  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 19:18 Mr. Tact

In Germany's defense, apparently they made it 4 out of the last 5 previous winners not making it out of the group round. Although on the other side, first time in 80 years Germany didn't get out of the group round.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 14:34 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 13:44:
That's what happens when you got a trainer who dumps the ENTIRE team that won the Confed Cup (a year prior!) for overpaid and overrated club players who then go on to lose all the test games before the entire event. We lost deservedly, South Korea was amazing. No goal in 90 minutes is just crazy bad, back in 2014 we dominated, today others will. Fair is fair and personally I am now rooting for Argentina
Didn't know about the dumping of the entire team. I watched two of the Germany matches and as you indicated they simply didn't seem to be playing well. They "didn't look like Germany"...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 11:59 Mr. Tact

Germany fails to advance out of the group stage in the World Cup. Wow. Finishing last in the group no less.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 27, 2018, 10:52 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 09:06:
Cheaters gonna cheat, no matter what sport they're playing.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 27, 2018, 07:52 Mr. Tact

It is hard to be sure with the information provided in the article, but certainly sounds like cheating.

Someone call Guiness, Cutter is right for once...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 22:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 18:42:
As far as intelligent life in our galaxy existing concurrently with us, I think it's probable that we're the only ones. Look at our own race, we've got multiple hot running culling devices: nukes, global warming, global pollution, super bug cultivation, reckless AI development. Any one of these could result in the extinction of the human race, and our mitigation strategy is weak at best. We probably have only a few centuries left. I think it will be rare that there is a civilization that overcomes issues like these to progress.
Maybe. But it is also possible alien culture would be as alien to us as their biology. "Concurrently" is an important word... dinosaurs lasted millions of years, the only reason we could "rise up" is because they were unlucky and gotten taken out by an asteroid. And there are plenty of natural events which could wipe out a civilization. The amount of time humans have had spoken language is the tiniest of sliver of time in comparison to the age of the universe. Many civilizations could have risen and fallen before we spoke our first words.

I don't know if or when we might actually get an answer to this question. I only know I'm disappointed it is extremely likely I won't live to find out.

5. Re: Humans ‘probably only intelligent life in the Universe.’ Jun 26, 2018, 11:07 Mr. Tact

I'd like to hear more about their calculations and assumptions. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

On the one hand, the Earth is so far seemingly pretty unique. We have a large moon which stabilizes our axis tilt, provides a critical tidal processes, and most likely contributed to the planet having a large iron core. The core being critical to providing a magnetic shield to our star's emissions. Additionally, having two large gas giants in outer orbits which act as comet/asteroid collectors.

On the other hand, the numbers of star and planets are so mind numbingly large it makes it difficult to believe it hasn't happened somewhere else.

Unfortunately, it is extremely likely I will not live to know the answer to this question.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2018, 13:24.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 10:55 Mr. Tact

It will be interesting to see if Trump/Sessions attempt to step in and stop the FDA from reclassifying CBD out of the Schedule I category. I wouldn't care to predict them going either way.  

13. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 07:30 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 03:45:
Curiosity Stream has a fascinating 2-part documentary about the microscopic creatures who live on us and inside us. It definitely gave me the heebie-jeebies. But as the scientist said, "if we got rid of all microbes, we would die." Makes you keenly aware of how amazing humans are and the fragile eco-system we provide to the small beasties roaming around us.
Yeah, it is amazing and creepy at the same time. In the show I watched, there was some incredible stat about how many lifeforms there are on and in us -- I want to say it was more than number of cells we have, but that feels like it can't be right...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 16:05 Mr. Tact

First world problems... simultaneous World Cup matches are easily handled by my DVR which can record 16 shows at a time. But I can't escape the announcers and the game graphics from telling me what is going on in the other match. *sigh*  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 15:06 Mr. Tact

Excellent point, one is a protected class and the other isn't. Listen, we are on the same "side", I agree with JD:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 14:35:
The president is an unrepentant liar, racist, and misogynist, and no ethical self-respecting person or Christian should be working for him.
Although his wording is a bit sloppy, Christians aren't self respecting people? Just kidding.

Still, refusing to serve someone at a public business for their political stance seems to be a step onto the infamous "slippery slope".

7166 Comments. 359 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo