Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6876 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 12:30 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Redeye -- I understood all of that before you posted it.

However if this April really was the first time someone sighted this asteroid, which I'm not yet convinced of. I still find it difficult to believe an asteroid of this size with a orbital period of 2.51 years could have gone unnoticed until now. We have been surveying local space for these things for quite a while now. If the orbital period was 10 or 15 years, then it would make a lot more sense.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
5. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 12:18 Mr. Tact

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the download link at PopCap is no longer valid. I'd have to get a copy of the install zip file from around that time to test it, and somehow that doesn't seem likely...  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 10:55 Mr. Tact

Do not exceed the recommended dosage on the Advil. That stuff can really mess up your liver. And if you find yourself taking it for an extended period of time, see a doctor.  

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
2. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 Mr. Tact

A search of my email tells me I bought this and Peggle Nights from PopCap in 2009. Seems like longer ago than that... wonder if my registration keys would still work...  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 00:34 Mr. Tact

I noticed a headline about this asteroid making a "close" pass of Earth recently. Can someone explain to me why an asteroid with an orbital period of 2.51 years which passes within the orbit of our moon was only seen for the first time on 14 Apr 2018?

Maybe it's just odd verbiage? They are saying the first sighting, but they mean the first sighting on this pass?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 21:21 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 20:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 17:24:
You didn't know Starbucks was a thing?
I see what you did thar.
So, you noticed I was pointing out your post was so vague there was no way to determine what it meant, and then didn't correct the issue. Bloody clever of you.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2018, 19:22 Mr. Tact

I agree. It could have gone a lot worse for most of them.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 17:24 Mr. Tact

You didn't know Starbucks was a thing?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 14:14 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 14:04:
I read an NPR article several years ago that blamed it on people moving from public transit to cars, where there's a lot less headroom.

Article link
Interesting. I'd say that's a reasonable theory.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 14:00 Mr. Tact

So, Cohen says Hannity is a client. Hannity says, "... I never retained him in the traditional sense as retaining a lawyer, ... But I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions, about which I wanted his input and perspective."

Someone is lying. Shocking, I know.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 13:50 Mr. Tact

El Pit wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 12:17:
That video of NYC in 1911 - WOW! Great find! Very interesting and fascinating.
One of the striking things to me is how nearly everyone is wearing a hat, both men and women, even a lot of the kids. We haven't become a hatless society but nearly so in comparison to the video. I wonder if that is simply a fashion thing or something else or if there even is a clear reason it happened...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 11:48 Mr. Tact

Predictions indicate we will hit highs over 60 here starting Sunday.. better late than never, I guess.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:31:
We must, must, must get private money out of politics.
Not likely to happen anytime soon. Heard a good story about this on NPR the other day. They were talking about how Montana had some of the most restrictive laws on political campaign funding. Because in the early 1900s the guy who had monopolized the copper market basically bought off the entire Montana legislature. So, in 1912 they passed a law basically putting the kibosh on most of the things which were wrong with campaign financing -- until Citizens United.

Now they are stuck again (as we all are) with the same nonsense they recognized as being bad for the public, but they are now powerless to stop it. Have no doubt about it, the GOP's theft of the Merrick Garland SCOTUS seat is a powerful victory which will be damaging the US for a generation to come.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2018, 08:48 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 23:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 20:58:
R.I.P.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcZnhc5_H8

It's more amazing when you learn that most of that scene was ad-libbed.
More like simply done from memory than ad-libbed, he was a DI for a decade.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2018, 17:11 Mr. Tact

Wow. The Minneapolis airport was closed down yesterday due to winter weather. I don't know about everyone else, but I would have assumed they handle winter weather fairly well there so the fact they closed says quite a bit.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 21:45 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 20:58:
We used to have elevators that were human controlled. Now they are all automatic. We don't even think about it. We throw our hands in front of a closing door and expect the elevator to respond accordingly. So to it will be with cars, although not right away of course. It will take a few decades to perfect the software and hardware.
I agree with this and I wish there was a mechanism for me to make bets with all those who claim it is right around the corner. I could believe we might see widespread automated trucking with facilities just off interstates within my lifetime. But widespread ability to jump in the car and tell it "take me to the supermarket" with at least the level of confidence I have currently in driving myself? That I have difficulty believing I'll live to see.

News Comments > A Way Out Sells 1M
7. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 18:02 Mr. Tact

The idea is intriguing, but it appears the execution was less than stellar. The fact it sold a million copies indicates in my mind a market for co-op games -- certainly something I have enjoyed in the past.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 14, 2018, 16:18 Mr. Tact

Er, mind your quoting. Bundles can be either good or bad, however with Comcast I'd agree they are usually bad.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 14, 2018, 14:50 Mr. Tact

Smart move for Comcast, a little surprising Netflix finds it advantageous...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 14:47 Mr. Tact

Looks like tomorrow and Monday might be the last days this spring with highs under 50 in Central Illinois. Long overdue...  

6876 Comments. 344 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo