Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7729 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Pregnancy PRANK on Boyfriend Oct 26, 2018, 17:16 Mr. Tact

Uh, yeah -- I believe it about as much as I do all those scripted reality shows. Which is to say, I don't believe it at all.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 26, 2018, 17:01 Mr. Tact

I'm guessing we didn't see all his comments, but I didn't see an apology. After all this is something that happened to him, he lost everything.. (except his girlfriend and family)..  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 26, 2018, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on Oct 26, 2018, 12:49:
Why does an innocent person always end up dead in these cases? Trigger-happy much?

I'm sorry but if you show up to an innocent person's house and they end up dead then something is seriously wrong with law enforcement tactics.
In general I would agree. But I can imagine scenarios where things could go wrong. Don't know the specifics of this event, but I wouldn't be surprised if over zealousness by the LEOs was the crucial problem.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 26, 2018, 12:48 Mr. Tact

This 5G stuff is going to really blow up at some point. The infrastructure required to make it work is going to annoy more and more municipalities as they run up against barriers to having any control over their installation.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2018, 12:44 Mr. Tact

Not that it really matters one way or the other, but in the pictures I saw the only stickers were in the windows of the van. Many more could have been placed on the body of the van.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 25, 2018, 19:37 Mr. Tact

Right? Is not knowing about bookmarks really a thing? I might have to ask my niece (currently a teenager) about this.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Game Currency Ship Purchases
7. Re: Star Citizen Adds Game Currency Ship Purchases Oct 25, 2018, 19:02 Mr. Tact

They should make in game computers which allow you to "mine" the currency!  

News Comments > No Man's Sky: The Abyss Next Week
25. Re: No Man's Sky: The Abyss Next Week Oct 25, 2018, 19:01 Mr. Tact

Xero wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 18:09:
Less managing of your life suit/oxygen levels and more of blowing sh!t up on various planets.
Once you maximize your cargo carrying capacity, this happens. It has been dozens of hours since I went searching for resupply elements. Now when I start to get low I just buy them from a NPC ship or Galactic trading terminal.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 16:11 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 15:41:
NASA's Voyager 1, humankind's most distant spacecraft, is around 125 AU. Scientists believe it entered interstellar space, or the space between stars, on Aug. 25, 2012. Much of interstellar space is actually inside our solar system. Scientific consensus says the solar system goes out to the Oort Cloud. It will take about 300 years for Voyager 1 to reach the inner edge of the Oort Cloud and possibly about 30,000 years to fly beyond it.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyager/multimedia/pia17046.html

Once the ark gets somewhere I'll gladly needlecast to that location for a new sleeve.
I hope the ark is well stocked with deodorant, toilet paper and a Pauling MedPod 720i
Not to mention snackie snacks, fresh linens, vitamins, and yummy food.

I'll stick with never, knowing that anyone here nor their offspring will ever be able to prove me incorrect.
Needlecast, nice touch. You could be right. I hope you are wrong. But there is, of course, no evidence to support a likely future interstellar humanity and neither of us will live to know the final answer.

Just remember to consider this, every major event leading us to where we are was pretty much, even in retrospect, inconceivable. The existence of this planet with a large moon, the evolution of life on the planet, and humanity is a pile of coincidences almost too long to list. It is part of the reason religion is so prominent. Maybe our luck has run out. But I'd like to think there are more surprises ahead.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 15:10 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 14:50:
NKD wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 13:44:
Parker Solar Probe is (or is going to be) the fastest manmade object. 120+ miles per second or something like that.
Even at that speed, no human will ever fly out of our solar system.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5786083/what-are-the-fastest-spacecrafts-ever-built
Again, "ever" is a long time. But in this case, you might be right. Basically, it will likely take an unforeseen scientific break-through for this to happen. However, there is one possibility which wouldn't -- an "ark" ship or generational ship. Still not presently within our current technology, but you can imagine us getting there. Certainly centuries away, if ever.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 14:42 Mr. Tact

Yes.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 12:09 Mr. Tact

Well, I don't beans about Millan, but a quick Google tells me he must have at least some understanding of dog behavior. Are you claiming his successes are faked somehow?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2018, 12:05 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 11:50:
Bars and restaurants during the election are going to see noticeable uptake in business.
If you mean the night of the election, ie. election coverage -- they won't be getting any of my cash. My personal plan is to not sleep Monday night, that way I'll be so tired Tuesday I'll be able to go to bed at 6 pm and sleep until the morning.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 11:52 Mr. Tact

Blue your story is exactly why I never extend an open hand to a dog I don't know, always a fist. Although clearly not effective for when the dog jumps straight for the forearm. Also a bit unusual in my experience there wasn't a warning growl which could have allowed you to back away.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2018, 10:01 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 00:49:
Here's a story about a couple that won the lottery, then had their kid abducted. The kidnapper tried to get them to give him the money for the kid. It didn't end well.
I'm surprised there isn't a more recent occurrence, maybe there has been. But yeah, security is something you'd need to consider. Thinking about this made me realize besides an apartment complex, there is no gated community in my town. Actually a bit surprising, there are a lot of $300-500k houses, in a town where $150k gets you plenty of house.

21. Re: No Man's Sky: The Abyss Next Week Oct 25, 2018, 09:46 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 25, 2018, 03:31:
I'm wondering if it actually has any decent gameplay content now?
Difficult question. At a very basic level the game is nothing more than a space exploration game. If that basic idea doesn't intrigue you, you shouldn't bother playing NMS. Personally, I like it enough to spend 500 hours playing it. 200 pre NEXT release (starting about a year after the initial release) and another 300 hours post NEXT release.

That said, I don't think there is a lot to the game. Some basic questing, some basic crafting, and a optional story line which I didn't find very engaging. Even so, I thought it was enough to sufficiently compliment the core of the game, which is simply to fly from planet to planet, solar system to solar system, looking at cool stuff. *shrug*

14. Re: No Man's Sky: The Abyss Next Week Oct 24, 2018, 23:04 Mr. Tact

Look at it this way -- he lied, and then delivered two years later. On the other hand you have Chris Roberts -- he lied, and years later we are still wondering if he'll deliver anything. Now, if HG had made all these updates DLC which they charged for, then I could understand the continued complaining...  

9. Re: No Man's Sky: The Abyss Next Week Oct 24, 2018, 22:21 Mr. Tact

Lock him up! Lock him up!  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 24, 2018, 21:28 Mr. Tact

Really? Hmm, maybe I'll give it a try -- I remember being not particularly impressed by the trailer. But then trailers are often wrong one way or the other...  

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2018, 21:15 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 24, 2018, 21:04:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 24, 2018, 20:42:
The attempt was so poorly conceived and executed the "false flag" accusations have already started. Here is to hoping the FBI can quickly find the perpetrator.
Dude, we've sent both CIA Director Gina Haspel to Turkey and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia. What more do you want.
What do I want? A return to some semblance of sanity and civility. Not that I expect to get it any time soon. (Yes, I realize the previous level was pretty sad too, but you gotta take what you might get.)

7729 Comments. 387 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo