Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4537 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2016, 11:53 Mr. Tact

Just think of all the time and money wasted on these efforts... this is why the world is a mess. People being unreasonable...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Your Letters Helped Challenger Shuttle Engineer Shed 30 Years Of Guilt. Feb 26, 2016, 21:50 Mr. Tact

Heard the NPR story on this. It was good he got some relief from the letters -- especially the ones from NASA and Thiokol.

It is depressing though to know someone was telling the powers that were making the decisions EXACTLY why they shouldn't launch, and yet they did any way. As was reported in the story, definitely something to be taught in our engineering schools.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2016, 10:30 Mr. Tact

I don't get it? Are you people not using artificial lighting where you have your computer or something? It doesn't matter if it is 2 am or 2 pm and sunny -- the amount of light in the room with my computer is unchanged.  

3. Re: Drinking more coffee may undo liver damage from booze. Feb 21, 2016, 15:56 Mr. Tact

Well, duh! That's why you drink coffee to get over a drunk.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2016, 15:49 Mr. Tact

I think I'd rather just beat the people responsible for the decisions on this matter about the head and shoulders repeatedly with a heavy blunt object.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2016, 11:51 Mr. Tact

rudra wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 11:03:
sorta mind-boggling why anyone would go with cable instead of fiber at this point... btw drop your aol account too
Love to -- would you please tell the powers that be to install it? Thanks.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2016, 10:38 Mr. Tact

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 22:09:
What company is doing that? In this area At&t will take years if they ever put it in and Comcast is trying to get their network up to speed. Last time I talked to one of their guys they still had no idea when they would be able to provide gigabit speeds. Not to mention their price point and 1k install fee is a bit much. I'd be surprised if anyone offers gigabit in this area in the next two years. Not that most of us need anything that fast.

A page about the effort: http://uc2b.net/about/expansion/

This is the section map: http://maps.itv-3.com/champaign-urbana/

Yellow areas were federally funded and were considered "under served" and poorer neighborhoods. Green areas have reached the 50% commitment levels. The numbers are how many more commitments are needed for those areas.

If you zoom in on the three green sections adjacent to each other on the bottom left. My house is on the east side of S Vine St., the west side is getting service installed currently.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2016, 20:39 Mr. Tact

The iPhone thing is a lose/lose situation. Nobody wins, no matter what happens.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2016, 14:26 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I wish. We have a fiber solution going into our area, but the way they are doing it totally sucks. Basically they cut the neighborhoods up in to areas/sections. To get the fiber in your area/section done, 50% of the homes in the area/section have to "commit" to signing up for the service. Since my house is in a section with lots of older citizens, the likelihood of reaching 50% is about 0%.

The fiber is going in literally across the street from me. My buddy 200 yds north, on a corner, doesn't get it either, but the people on the other three corners do.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2016, 11:36 Mr. Tact

While I agree for the most part in saying Cam was acting like a child, I am willing to cut him some slack, for now. Odds are at 26 he has only recently started encountering people who actully say "No." to him sometimes. It is likely his sense of entitlement isn't entirely his fault. Time will tell, but yeah for now -- he has a lot of learning to do.  

5. Re: Science joke! Feb 18, 2016, 10:37 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 10:36:
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!
Have a T-shirt with that on it. From the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2016, 10:36 Mr. Tact

The only keyboard for me:

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI041A

21. Re: Cutting Cable? Feb 17, 2016, 07:37 Mr. Tact

jimnms wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 21:11:
I'm seriously considering ditching cable TV.
Yeah, I'm probably going to dump cable TV soon, probably for Dish. But I can't "cut the cable" totally, because Comcast is my only broadband choice. Actually, I would have done it sooner, except I'm in love with my ReplayTV DVR. But these days I'm worried it's about time for the drive to fail (again) and not sure I can even get a drive that would work any more. And having to watch live TV instead of a DVR might induce a suicide.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2016, 20:54 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 18:57:
If you setup a Patreon page for $4.99 per month I would totally subscribe, then I wouldn't feel so bad disabling ads via AdBlock.
+1

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2016, 19:22 Mr. Tact

It is a bit of a pickle for the GOP. Clearly they don't want another Obama appointee to SCOTUS. But, if they spend months blocking an appointee in the Senate, it is possible the electorate will see this as them blocking the business of government. Possibly to the effect of giving the Senate back to the Dems. It will be interesting to see how things go...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2016, 10:34 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2016, 02:42:
Holy crap, just discovered that Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead.
Yeah, the resulting debate should be fairly amusing. Tried to get my buddy to bet me Scalia won't be replaced before the election, but he wouldn't bite.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Lincoln Feb 13, 2016, 10:50 Mr. Tact

Bub wrote on Feb 13, 2016, 07:35:
Just in case you never studied history, New England ship and cannon builders started gorging on government contracts for warships and cannon several years before the war between the states officially started. They and Washington knew dam well what those ships were being built for. The slave issue was just a convenient premise.
Okay, I'll bite. What was the real reason for the US Civil War?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2016, 22:15 Mr. Tact

I like the idea of being a professional gamer as a retirement plan, too bad I know it isn't a reasonable one. Even making some money from Youtube videos would be cool. But the space is so crowded I find it difficult to believe I personally have what it takes. I know that I'm just not creative enough. Oh well, wishes and fishes...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2016, 14:48 Mr. Tact

sauron wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 12:37:
I've seen a few Tesla sports cars here in NYC, they really turn heads - look like a pretty sweet ride. I hope they make it - the reviews seem really good.
Yeah, saw one here (a town of about 110k in the Midwest) and was a bit surprised. If I could afford it, I'd get one.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2016, 08:58 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 23:22:
Well sometimes people in rural areas like to go out too so what are their alternatives?
Designated driver? Drink less? If you want to live in BFE, there are pros and there are cons...

4537 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo