Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4467 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
68. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 11:59 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 11:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 09:49:
Do the weenies who think this stuff up love the idea of someone collecting all this information on what they are doing?

That's the thing. Data collection is a lot less scary when you're an insider who knows precisely what data is being collected and what is being done with it.

A lot of peoples problem with it is the uncertainty. They aren't technically savvy enough to know precisely what data is being collected, and don't have access to what exactly is being done with it. And if MS tries to reassure them, they'll just believe that Microsoft is lying and that it's all much more insidious than Microsoft is leading them to believe. That may be true, or not. This is exacerbated by clickbait articles.

But some guy at MS actually involved in creating this stuff actually knows whats being collected. And if it's innocuous metrics crap used to increase the usability of the OS, they probably aren't too worried about it and don't think twice about implementing it.

Ask anyone in this thread what data MS is collecting in Windows 10 and what they are doing with it and you'll get all kinds of different answers. People are afraid because they don't know and because they are prone to just assuming that MS is archiving their entire browsing history and sending it to the FBI, who will then forward it on to their spouses and employers before killing their dog, selling their children into slavery, and disappearing them.

Personally, I take a very pragmatic approach to privacy. Until there's something concrete to worry about, I don't worry about it. There are already so many "privacy violations" in my life that I can't do anything about without going off to live in the woods. Worrying about a few extra is just a lot of emotional energy I don't want to expend.
Everything you have said is very reasonable. And while I do my best to not be a conspiracy nut, the flip side to me is I find it difficult to believe they can find out anything useful from the benign information you are talking about -- certainly from my usage which I'm pretty sure is very far from typical. I find it doubly difficult to believe that information would actually prove useful in creating an improved OS. Basically, it comes down to just being "bad form", and it really sticks in my craw.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
63. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 09:49 Mr. Tact

As another "I'm not an expert, but I'm not a bumpkin" I find this all quite annoying. I'm pretty happy with Win7 and I came here straight from WinXP. This automated reporting makes me want to punch someone. Do the weenies who think this stuff up love the idea of someone collecting all this information on what they are doing?

As far as I can tell Linux still isn't a viable option for the casual gamer. I used to think "1984" was paranoia -- lately it just seems inevitable.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 17, 2016, 09:40 Mr. Tact

Ah, pay for priority makes much more sense, however still... no "common" user is going to put up with having to pay to use their currency efficiently. For Bitcoin to become what the supporters want, they need a significant solution to this issue. Relatively, no one uses Bitcoin. Yes, I know there are Bitcoin ATMs and obviously from these articles there are thousands of transactions going on all of the time. But compared to any major currency in the world, it is nothing. They have to increase the capacity in a major way before it will become what they dream of it becoming.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 5 Begins
15. Re: Diablo III Season 5 Begins Jan 17, 2016, 09:34 Mr. Tact

Totally agree with MoreLuckThanSkill -- unfortunately Blizzard has been making a lot of bad decisions recently...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2016, 21:07 Mr. Tact

It was hands to the face....  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 16, 2016, 21:06 Mr. Tact

What the hell? Increase fees to reduce transactions as a solution?

I'm not a Bitcoin expert, but I've read several articles about this situation and it definitely appears to be critical time for Bitcoin. It will be interesting to see where it all ends up...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2016, 19:52 Mr. Tact

Yeah, KC's time management on that last drive was pretty lousy. They have to learn how to run the no huddle/quick snap drive much better.  

5. Re: Diablo III Season 5 Begins Jan 16, 2016, 19:26 Mr. Tact

Ant wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 19:07:
0 interest in playing Diablo 3 after playing its beta. Is it better now?
The original beta? I think there's a fairly large consensus the game was significantly better after the expansion.

3. Re: Diablo III Season 5 Begins Jan 16, 2016, 18:04 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 15:01:
Yeah... still zero interest in playing seasons, Blizzard. Forcing stash unlocks into seasonal play is really a scumbag move.
Worse than that, the things you need to get done are not trivial. Probably beyond less committed players.

12. Re: T=Shirts Blue? Jan 16, 2016, 08:50 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 15:32:
not going to spend cash on hardocp's throwback t. Still waiting on Bluesnews for a shirt. take my money
https://teespring.com/HardOCP_throwback_shirt#pid=369&cid=6513&sid=back
Never heard of HardOCP until this very moment. Bought two of the Bluenews T-shirts, would gladly buy a couple more.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M
25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 16:14 Mr. Tact

Yep, the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick works well for E:D. I drove 250 miles round trip on New Year's day a year ago to get one to play E:D with (didn't want to wait for shipping). Had a lot of fun with it. I need to get back in there again....  

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jan 14, 2016, 12:07 Mr. Tact

Okay, I figured it was something specific with the quotes, simply had no idea what.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2016, 21:06 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 20:46:
"stop it. Just stop it."
?

Stephen Hawking is truly an amazing person. Oh, and a pretty good physicist too.

12. Re: Dear Powerball Winner: Take Our Advice and Take the Annuity. Jan 13, 2016, 13:51 Mr. Tact

I think if you are under a certain age you should take the annuity. What is that age? Well, it is a 29 year annuity, so if you were 80... why bother. Then again, if you are 25.. annuity for sure -- for all the reasons articulated. How long are you going to live? What age did your grandparents live to?

For me, while I might live another 29 years, I'd suspect the over/under statistical number given my family history, health, and general lethargic life style is in the 20-25 range. And since I have very limited family, I'm not worried about leaving money for anyone. So give me the cash. Hell, the goal will be to end up spending it all before I die.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 12:35 Mr. Tact

Hey Blue,

I bought a pair of these when I needed new winter boots. I had previously used hiking/backpacking boots as my winter boots and it had work well and they had lasted over 20 years. Had these new ones five years and I love them.

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
25. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 13, 2016, 07:58 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 23:38:
Agreed, I abuse the fuck out of that. Per my order history, amazon says I had 148 orders in 2015, 145 in 2014, and 150 in 2013. That's .66 cents an order for two day shipping, plus movie and music streaming? That's a hell of a deal.
Holy cow! That's two or three things every week! Yeah, anyone ordering that frequently from Amazon should have Prime,

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
2. Re: Diablo III Patched Jan 12, 2016, 20:28 Mr. Tact

Weird. I exited the game, came here to write that post, and now I as I logged in again and it is loading the patch.  

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
1. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 20:25 Mr. Tact

*yawn* Thanks, but no thanks.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
1. Re: Diablo III Patched Jan 12, 2016, 20:24 Mr. Tact

Hmm, didn't patch for me when I launched just now. Got into the game as 2.3.xxxxx  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 19:50 Mr. Tact

CalmDragon wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 10:41:
Even though I am 0 for 4, did not pick any wildcard team to advance to the next level, so still hanging in there, in last place...
It was the first time EVER, that all the home teams lost. I was 2-2 missing Washington and Cincinnati. I really struggled over picking Cincinnati, but in the end I figured they would pull it out. And they did until, ... Burfict and Adams threw the game. Green Bay beating Washington really surprised me. Everything they had been doing wrong for the last six weeks, they finally did right. I guess Washington looked stronger than they were in part because of the division they came from.

4467 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo