Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6561 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 07:25 Mr. Tact

Asmodai wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 02:05:
Neither, it's the determined hard core aspect of the game and it's aimed at a niche audience rather than for broad appeal (that's Diablo III)

There's no character respec for cash option available, he's talking cheaper in game currency. Regret orbs, 1 per point removed, are relatively rare and ergo it's hard to pile up 50 odd just to reset a character.

Given how quickly you can level to 60+, he's better off putting his gear in the shared bank and rolling a new toon. 47 in three days = he's not getting any league firsts any time soon, and gear is not soulbound so any luck he's had in grinding up the toon is transferable.

Could be worse (ie. losing multiple hardcore toons to the still buggy netcode, happened to me a few times).
I think everything you said is accurate. That doesn't mean I like it.

As far as the build, it is a mix between I messed up and I changed my mind. Since I am not a hardcore player, I can't and don't "design" builds. I read about them in the forums, pick one and follow it. I was working on a Cyclone Physical damage Duelist/Slayer. I picked one but wasn't careful enough in reading it. Eventually I decided the build wasn't right for me and I want to switch to another which uses an interior vs. an exterior path from Duelist to the left side of the tree. Haven't decided what I'll do yet...

Asmodai, do you think allowing one or two resets per character as I suggested would damage the game? And if so, could you explain why?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 07:12 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 03:06:
Not sure why you think the solution is to colonize other planets. It only took us a few hundred years to wreck this one. What makes you think we'll treat a new planet any differently?
In the "short term", I don't. However, I have a small hope that eventually, read that as probably several centuries at least, we might get our act together. By then, assuming we are on other planets (a very iffy assumption) I'm guessing Earth will be a less than desirable place to live.

Two discoveries which would help matters significantly: 1) figuring out how to manipulate gravity 2) some sort of cheap, easy, small, clean, scalable power generation.

11. Re: Path of Exile Mar 5, 2018, 18:07 Mr. Tact

Okay -- here is the thing I don't like about PoE. New league started Friday. I have my new character up to level 47, but I've realized I made a significant error in my passive tree. The currency cost to fix it is high enough that it probably would be "cheaper" to start another character from scratch. That's crazy.

There needs to be some kind of mechanism for getting at least one or two full resets per character. Like you start with one available, or maybe you get one upon reaching lvl 50. Something. Having to know exactly what you are going to do with your character before you start it is just bad design.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 17:53 Mr. Tact

Okay, I gotta say about/to Sam Nunberg, nice bluff. I hope Mueller calls it and you end up in a very nice 6x8...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 17:45 Mr. Tact

I forwarded a link to that Dilbert strip to two people separately. They both responded with (paraphrased), "Life at Apple."  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 11:32 Mr. Tact

Home repairs and renovations -- just few steps short of hell on earth. Keep your chin up, Blue.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 23:43 Mr. Tact

Actually, it just doesn't seem like a story line worthy of making a movie about. But hey -- I might be wrong...  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 23:41 Mr. Tact

I agree the idea of an intelligent race which is around when space has expanded to the point which there are no other visible galaxies is an interesting thought experiment. Even if they had records either from their own species or some other source explaining everything humans currently know about the universe would they believe it without being able to verify any of it themselves? Would it be considered religious nonsense?

I doubt humanity will be around for that particular issue.

22. Re: Oscars Mar 4, 2018, 22:32 Mr. Tact

Nice to see Allison Janney win, I like her. That actually might be enough to make me watch "I, Tonya".  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 22:20 Mr. Tact

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 22:13:
David Ogden Stiers already looked quite old back then so MFW I read that he only died yesterday at 75. Really shitty though. It's hard watching the episodes knowing half the cast is gone...
Really? So, you can't stand watching great films like Casablanca, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the River Kwai... etc..

News Comments > StarCraft 20th Anniversary Celebrations
6. Re: StarCraft 20th Anniversary Celebrations Mar 4, 2018, 19:20 Mr. Tact

Oh yeah, Hearthstone. I forgot about that -- so "Other than Overwatch and Hearthstone..."  

News Comments > StarCraft 20th Anniversary Celebrations
2. Re: StarCraft 20th Anniversary Celebrations Mar 4, 2018, 17:03 Mr. Tact

Other than Overwatch, I've spent hundreds of hours in each and every one of Blizzard's games since the original Warcraft. That said, I'd have to agree they seem to have been resting on their laurels for far too long. I've pretty much given up hope they will resurrect themselves. Ah well, it was a good run...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 14:01 Mr. Tact

On a totally separate subject -- I watched Alien: Covent this morning -- recorded off a movie channel. I was expecting it to be bad. It wasn't great, but it actually wasn't quite as bad as I expected. I imagine the general idea really rubbed some people the wrong way, be *meh* -- whatever.

Could have been worse, and I have recently seen other films I thought were worse.. one being All The Real Girls which was a movie without any ending. It was like they were filming it sequentially, ran out of money and said, "I guess that's the end."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 13:54 Mr. Tact

From the article on Roger Bannister:
Its amazing that more people have climbed Mount Everest than have broken the 4-minute mile, Bannister said in an interview with The Associated Press in 2012.
Is that accurate? My gut reaction is it can't be. The mile is a uncommon event these days, replaced by the 1500 km event. But I thought top college runners were doing sub 4 minute miles for years.. am I wrong?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 11:56 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 11:12:
But either way, we can never know anything bout the big bang as it's not observable and laws of physics don't even apply, so why bother. Would be more important to make sure we can survive the coming cold death of the entire universe, assuming we even survive the next 50 years that is ;p
The number of problems we'll face which can possibly lead to the extinction of the human race is probably only slightly less than the number of years before we have to worry about an astronomical end to the planet. Nuclear waste, plastics, chemicals in general, over population, disease, and on and on. The real question is can we survive long enough and advance technology enough to spread humans off this planet, preferably to other solar systems?

Frankly, based on the last decade I'm not liking our chances...

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 4, 2018, 11:46 Mr. Tact

ShakaUVM wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 16:15:
A key point here is that the MIT authors are interested in median net (after tax and expenses) revenue, and then they contrast this against gross (before tax and expenses) revenue, and use this to claim they make worse than minimum wage. This is a very deceptive practice, as if you applied the same process to minimum wage earner, close to 100% of minimum wage earners would earn less than minimum wage! (Almost everyone has unreimbursed expenses related to their job.)
It isn't very deceptive if they are explaining how they came to the figure. The deception is in the headline. Shocking, I know. The key point is your profit for being a Uber/Lyft driver is nothing to write home about...

15. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 19:13 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 18:49:
Stephen Hawking's knows a great deal, but when it comes to what happened before the big bang,
Man, are you dense. Hawking didn't claim to know anything about what happened prior to the big bang. The headline is a lie. As I said before -- Hawking basically implies the question doesn't make any sense.

6. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Oh brother, please stop with nonsense quotes.

Hawking's answer doesn't require any faith. He is basically saying, the question makes no sense. Although not present in this particular article I saw a good analogy in another. It is as if you were to ask, "How come I can't go North from the North Pole?"

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2018, 14:25 Mr. Tact

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

MIT Uber/Lyft earnings study

2. Re: Do Trees Talk to Each Other? Mar 2, 2018, 10:50 Mr. Tact

Duh! Didn't they see The Happening.  

6561 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo