Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6864 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2018, 09:56 Mr. Tact

Yeah, it is often overlooked that the "militarization" of the police force isn't just an equipment issue. It is also a mentality issue. Being a police officer is a tough job. Sometimes it is a shitty job. But too many officers have forgotten, or were never taught, their job is "to protect and serve". It is a complex problem which won't be completely resolved any time soon.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2018, 20:38 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 17:55:
I don't know about any novels, but I do know a couple of movies. I'm going to hide the titles, since the fact that humanity gets wiped out in the end is probably a pretty big spoiler:

Knowing, with Nick Cage. It's pretty good.

Melancholia with Kirsten Dunst. Haven't seen it, so can't say whether it's good.

My secret response:

In "Knowing" the human race is not wiped out, many children are moved to another planet. And we aren't interstellar, that said in my example of "Childhood's End" we aren't interstellar either -- but it was the best I could come up with.

Melancholia.. just watched the trailer and I *think* I watched that, but I really don't remember much... there is a hint there might be a mystical resolution in the trailer, but I simply don't recall. I have it available On-Demand for $4... might have to watch it.

When you think about it, it seems like someone would have done this...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2018, 17:03 Mr. Tact

Random question: Anyone here ever read a sci-fi novel or series of novels where humans have become an interstellar race. But by the end of the story, humans are extinct? In "Childhood's End" the human race evolves away. But I couldn't think of any where we get wiped out...  

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
9. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 22, 2018, 16:26 Mr. Tact

How long before the layoffs?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2018, 16:25 Mr. Tact

El Pit wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 15:40:
Or as The Who put it: I hope I die before I get old (My Generation).
Too late for me -- the only question now is how decrepit I'll get before I die.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
42. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 22, 2018, 16:22 Mr. Tact

Quinn wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 15:54:
This game will never be released.
Oh, there will be a release... it WILL be very late and it might TOTALLY suck, but it will get released.

24. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 21, 2018, 23:14 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 22:43:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 19:46:
Nicklepop, you confidence astounds me.
I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or if he was being serious.
I either label it or try to make my sarcasm over the top these days due to Poe's Law. I was being serious. And I continue to be astounded by his confidence in CIG/RSI/whatever. Will they produce a good game? Maybe. Will they produce before it 2019? I wouldn't bet money on it.

You can go around and around on this as much as you want (and people have and probably will continue to do so). But at this point as far as I'm concerned -- a published game talks, everything else is bullshit. Even if I did for some reason (which I can't comprehend at the moment) think a game I would be happy to play was going to come out of this effort, I would still be telling Chris Roberts and anyone else involved to shut the hell up and get to work. Talk when you have the game.

16. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 21, 2018, 19:46 Mr. Tact

Nicklepop, you confidence astounds me.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2018, 18:23 Mr. Tact

Being able to breathe properly is always a bonus, glad to hear you are feeling better.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2018, 17:05 Mr. Tact

Actually, ISPs will probably see this as an opportunity for additional cash flow. Want a real world addresses instead of a RFC 6598 address? That's $10 a month extra.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Apr 21, 2018, 14:17 Mr. Tact

Damn! Just missed the 27 Club! Bummer.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 21, 2018, 14:16 Mr. Tact

I want to see them get to $250m, just so we can say it is a "quarter billion dollar" game/scam/whatever.  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2018, 14:14 Mr. Tact

True, but you are an exception. The vast majority of users don't care at all. I'll be surprised if I actually use IPv6 at home in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it. I don't think it is a bad idea. I just trust corporate laziness and cost avoidance to keep it at bay until after I'm gone.  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:37 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 11:48:
As more people go online and more iots devices get into consumer hands the "lack of IPv4 addresses" will definitely be a thing. If is inevitable.
Someday, sure -- but not any time soon. Basically it is NOP. (not our problem)

News Comments > Hearthstone Game Director Leaves Blizzard
2. Re: Hearthstone Game Director Leaves Blizzard Apr 20, 2018, 23:18 Mr. Tact

Well, unless I missed it in the post there is no reason to think he requested a position lower in the hierarchy. There is a big difference between "designing, programming, and actually creating things" in a large corporation and doing it a small company. Especially if you are one of the founders of the company.  

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2018, 21:40 Mr. Tact

Oh, additionally FWIW (possibly not much) -- I have an acquaintance who owns/runs a medium to large privately owned ISP in the Chicago area. And his personal spin on this topic is the "lack of IPv4 addresses" is unlikely to ever be an issue. There are so many chunks that people are squatting on, and so many devices being assigned real IPv4 that don't need them.  

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
30. Re: Stockholm Apr 20, 2018, 21:27 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 18:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 17:00:
It was a while before I had anything but HL3 on Steam.
I'll bite. Is the game any good and how do I go about getting my key because I already bought the Silver Half Life bundle.
Haha. Wow, I can't believe I typed that. I would say it was a Freudian slip, but I can't see how it could be. In reality I simply skimmed over his post and thought/assumed he said "Half-life" and derped away... how I managed to type HL3 when I was thinking "Half-life" I have no idea. Can't even claim to have been drunk, been a couple of months now since I've had any alcohol.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2018, 21:41.

22. Re: Stockholm Apr 20, 2018, 17:00 Mr. Tact

Jagacademy wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 16:32:
I remember how livid I was when I bought Half-Life 2 on release day, came home, and found out I had to install some brand new random 3rd party program in order to install it. (Steam)

In all the years hence, I've come to like Steam.

Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome.
I have to agree, that was pretty much my experience too. It was a while before I had anything but HL3 on Steam. However, I eventually came to see the advantage of having games I purchased being available for download whenever I wanted. In those days I was replacing my PC every two years.

These days you see a lot of people bitching about Steam being DRM, but I think that view is exaggerated. *shrug* Whatever. I'm happy with it and my complaints about it are minor ones.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2018, 15:30 Mr. Tact

ViRGE wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 15:06:
You can switch now or you can switch later. But if you switch later it's going to hurt all the more.
Okay, I'll bite. Why will it hurt more if I wait? I actually don't really care at this point. My router is IPv6 capable but I have no pressing reason to switch. And frankly, I'd be shocked if Comcast supported it.

16. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

*yawn* As someone said, Gabe will pull that out of the seat cushions.  

6864 Comments. 344 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo