Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7166 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
59. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 5, 2018, 21:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 18:14:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 09:15:
First, odds are I won't be anywhere in 2040.

I suppose your lifespan comes down to what happens in November.
Even if I was calling the shots on what happened, I'm still pretty sure I won't be alive in 2040. I would have my 78th birthday in 2040. And while I currently have no health problems(fingers crossed), neither of my parents lived that long and even if I get close to that, I suspect I'll "fix" the problem myself.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
57. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 5, 2018, 09:15 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 12:52:
You guys are going to be so embarrassed when we're all playing this in 2040, when the retail release comes out!

*Disclaimer: This comment assumes humanity will somehow survive the next 6 years*
First, odds are I won't be anywhere in 2040. Second, thanks for the depressing thought implied by "6 years".

News Comments > On Star Citizen Economics
34. Re: On Star Citizen Economics Aug 5, 2018, 07:19 Mr. Tact

Armengar wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 04:24:
noone is forcing people to pay for vapourware.
While true, that has no bearing on whether the game is pay to win or not.

News Comments > On Star Citizen Economics
22. Re: On Star Citizen Economics Aug 4, 2018, 23:24 Mr. Tact

On the surface this argument seems reasonable. But like the cliche says, "The Devil is in the details." The same argument is made by those crazy phone games like Gods of War, and while it might be technically correct, the reality is if you don't spend a lot of money, you are not going to win much. So, whether or not SC is pay to win is yet to be determined. I will say, the nature of the game makes it less prone to this problem, but that doesn't mean they'll actually avoid it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2018, 23:12 Mr. Tact

Great news about your friends' kid -- I wonder how much of this he'll remember 20 years from now...  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2018, 22:51 Mr. Tact

Ah, Wells Fargo... why does anyone still have money in this bank?

Wells Fargo mistake led to hundreds of foreclosures

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2018, 19:43 Mr. Tact

Concerning Owens, it is just the culmination of wide receiver diva-ism. Frankly, it is surprising it took this long to happen. Whatever. The only people hurt by his not being there are the people closest to him. Good going, Terrell.

Concerning Lewis -- I don't think anyone who wasn't there really knows what happened. It seems likely he committed a crime, but what that crime would have been is difficult to say. I'm guessing he won't be the first law breaker in the HoF.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2018, 19:33 Mr. Tact

DangerDog wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 15:42:
We need fusion power, and we need it yesterday.
Aye. I watched a show about it (might have been a Nova? don't really remember) about a year ago or so. Anyway, they have been working on it since the 60s (if not earlier) and as problems have been solved, new ones crop up. And for the last 50+ years, the experts have continually felt like they are about forty years away from a commercial product. And that is still the case... in other words, without an unforeseen break-thru we are not likely to see it any time soon and certainly not in my lifetime.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 1, 2018, 07:37 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 01:47:
Given that most states are heavily gerrymandered in favor of the GOP, I read somewhere that they need only about 40% of the vote to retain the House. Good times.
I think the 40% number is a bit exaggerated, but yeah -- GOP favored districts mean despite getting less than a majority of votes, if you were to add the votes up state wide, results in 55-60% of the seats going to the GOP. Great system, eh?

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2018, 09:20.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 31, 2018, 23:00 Mr. Tact

Trump and his lackeys are doing their best. There has been and will be more damage. But they will only damage it, they can't kill it. The bigger fear is enough of the population buy what the GOP is selling to allow them to keep control of both the House and the Senate...  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2018, 22:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 14:35:
Seriously...
Liar, you weren't being serious.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
59. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 28, 2018, 08:15 Mr. Tact

*clap* Good answer.

I'm guessing it was indeed a glitch in the loading of the planet. The 1.51 and 1.52 patches have fixed some things, but there are still plenty of little bugs for them to kill.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2018, 11:40 Mr. Tact

Highly dependent on what interests your gf has. Does she like puzzles? Is she creative? Creative Minecraft has been fun for young and old, but it just isn't for some people...  

57. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 27, 2018, 09:22 Mr. Tact

Weird. For the first time ever I just found a planet I can't land on. I think maybe it is supposed to be a gas giant -- the "surface" is a mostly smooth monotone orange-ish desert color. It was showing me a way point for a trading post, but there was nothing there. Tried multiple times to land in different places and couldn't.

Edit: Went back later and it was a "normal" planet. *shrug*

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2018, 16:26.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 26, 2018, 11:53 Mr. Tact

So, what is the over/under on how long until someone can hack McAfee's wallet?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Windows 10 will use machine learning to install system updates at the right time. Jul 26, 2018, 11:50 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 10:57:
They could save themselves a lot of trouble and let me decide when is the right time to update my computer.
Crazy talk! You have no idea when your computer needs to be updated. Frankly, this is my biggest gripe about Win 10.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com
28. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 26, 2018, 11:31 Mr. Tact

I had a similar experience with learning to build a "Signal Booster" -- I knew about the "z" build key but when I initially looked there for some reason I did not see the Signal Booster. I got pretty frustrated. Ended up asking a friend I knew had played at launch and had played for a long time. He told me it was in the build menu, I said, "No, it isn't" then I looked again and it was there...

The game is definitely "clunky" in spots -- but overall I've enjoyed it.

25. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 23:37 Mr. Tact

My comments on the release:
1) Is it me, or did they bust fueling the launch thrusters from a distance? Could have sworn I walked away from my ship without refueling them previously and didn't get screwed.

2) *ugh* They busted stacking items. If an item stacked to 500, and you had two stacks of 400, previously you could pick up one stack and click on the other and it would cause the one you clicked to have 500. This no longer works.

3) The game thinks I have already built one of my containers. Which I haven't...

4) Had one crash and had to restart to get my ships to reappear on my freighter.

All and all it seems fine, it just these little things which annoy the shit out of you...

24. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 23:27 Mr. Tact

Darks wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 11:04:
I have to ask, has anyone else been playing this game? If so, what are your thoughts and do you agree or not with what I'm saying here?

I tried it again last night for the first time in over a year. Its nice to see a lot of the new changes, but I forgot how much micro managing this game requires.

What I'm referring to is the starting planets. I get it that they want to tutor you on how to survive the harshness of the games environments. But come on, I re-started the game at least 40 times last night trying to get a hospitable world. Not one world spawned worth a damn.

Every world was either too hot 143 degrees or to cold -166 degrees. Or they were toxic or full of radiation. So, yea they lead you around by a leash telling you what to mine and how to survive. But it became such a fricking chore.
I'm responding before reading the other responses so this may just be a repeat of what has already been said, but basically you hit the nail on the head. When I first played this game about a year after its' initial release I was also annoyed with the bad environment on the starting planet. After a couple restart attempts I suspected it was on purpose -- an extra reason for you to get in your ship and start exploring the galaxy. So, as an experiment I started 100 games. They all had extreme environments.

The micro-management really kicks in for the mid-game when you start wanting to craft large quantities and you find out quickly (on the off chance you hadn't already noticed) one of the limiting factors of the game is storage capacity. Why the devs have decided to use storage capacity as a limiting factor really is beyond my ability to reason.

47. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 24, 2018, 15:31 Mr. Tact

Well, the patch is not off to a good start IMHO.

First of all, it appears all our equipment and ship upgrades are gone. Second, our base is gone. Third, I wasn't able to figure out how to land on my freighter. Fourth, when I was about to die from a ship attack while sitting outside my freighter, I reloaded a previous save. I was then unable to get into any of the game menus, for equipment or otherwise -- ended up using Task Manager to close NMS down.

Oy.

Edit: Okay, apparently I couldn't get into the freighter because I was in combat. Didn't know that was an issue. Everything built on the freighter is gone too. Blah. I was kinda looking forward to the new stuff, but I don't know if I care to rebuild everything I already had...

Edit2: They renamed the mineral resources but didn't rename the plants.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2018, 16:31.

7166 Comments. 359 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo