Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5946 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 1, 2017, 12:26 Mr. Tact

Well, I hope you are right. But, I'll believe it when it happens and not before. I think the Ds are being overly optimistic on this...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Oct 1, 2017, 10:27 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 09:51:
My dad is one of those angry over the federal estate tax. I keep reminding him that it only applies to estates over $5.5M, and his is not there today and will certainly not be there ever, as he's already retired.

Doesn't matter, a month later the estate tax is still a chief concern of his, as he thinks the government will take his money after he dies. The state, sure, but he never votes based on state estate taxes...
This is a perfect explanation of one of our major problems. People simply believing what politicians say instead of spending a few minutes to find out if the politician is or isn't correct. It reminds me of the "death panel" nonsense the GOP rolled out when they were trying to keep the ACA from passing. And the worst thing about it, there is no easy solution. If you couldn't convince your father the estate tax is not a death tax on every American, what hope is there to educate the general populace on more complex issues?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 1, 2017, 07:38 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 00:54:
I've come around on this. When Dems take over congress in 2018,
What in the world makes you think that's going to happen? Last time I looked at the polling, the chances of that happening were slim to none.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2017, 20:24 Mr. Tact

It is somewhat ironic. When humans started eating meat, it is what stimulated/allowed for the continued growth of complexity of brain activity -- we were consuming more "energy" and therefore our bodies could "spend" that energy. And now, the ever growing industry which provides us meat is in some part to blame for climate changes which endanger humans.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2017, 20:36.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2017, 13:10 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 04:52:
Ironically, the Dems will have a better chance with Trump, if they can take the house and senate next year.
I've seen no evidence to indicate the Ds will take the House or Senate in 2018. Hell, Roy Moore is the likely next Senator from Alabama. My current prediction would be the best the Ds can hope for is to keep 48 seats in the Senate. They are not going to retake the House.

Trump and the GOP are making a mess of things, but the Ds haven't shown any coherent plan to counter it. When the Ds were in control, the GOP plan was obvious -- they were against anything and everything the Ds (specifically Obama) were for. Now that the GOP is in control, I have no idea what the Ds plan is... and neither does the portion of the population they need to vote for them instead of the GOP.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2017, 10:31 Mr. Tact

My bad, misread the tense -- thought he was saying it had already added to the national debt...  

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2017, 21:32 Mr. Tact

SlimRam wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 20:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 19:23:
NicklePop wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:20:
Trumps the man. Tax reform baby!
Yeah, reform the lowest rate from 10% to 12% -- that will certainly help the common man!
Isn't that the same one that adds an estimated 4 to 6 trillion to our national debt in 10 years too?
Eh? I was referring to the recently proposed outline provided by the GOP -- which includes raising the current lowest tax bracket from 10% to 12%.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2017, 19:23 Mr. Tact

NicklePop wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:20:
Trumps the man. Tax reform baby!
Yeah, reform the lowest rate from 10% to 12% -- that will certainly help the common man!

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2017, 15:47 Mr. Tact

He is an incompetent idiot, misogynist, racist, misanthrope and I hate the fact he is my President.

That said, he gets in the way of the GOP nearly as much as he gets in the way of the Ds. He is, in fact, the lesser of the evils. And while it would be somewhat satisfying to see him impeached -- 1) he isn't going to be impeached as long as the GOP has control 2) as I have alluded to, it would only get worse if he is impeached and the GOP still controls both the House and the Senate.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2017, 15:18 Mr. Tact

Yeah. Despite having spent 7 years in the US military, I've never understood even "normal" tattoos. If I managed to become a Navy Seal or some other special forces team, I might be able to understand it.
If you have the kind of "team" mentality it takes to get through something like that, I can see wanting to show the world you did it. But even then, I kind of doubt I would.

Frankly, nothing in my life is so freaking important I need to advertise it to any Joe Smoe I happen to meet. Maybe that's my failing? Maybe I need to be pushing myself to be better? Somehow I really doubt that's the problem.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2017, 13:34 Mr. Tact

Who is more of an idiot? The "model" asking for a tattoo on her eyeball, or the tattoo artist who agrees to do it? Or I am ignorant on the subject and tattooing an eyeball an actual thing that can be done "safely"?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2017, 12:36 Mr. Tact

On the Princess Bride.. the book holds a special place in my heart as the first female silly enough to fall in love with me gave me her copy of the book. I wonder what happened to her... haven't seen or heard from her since we broke up about 37 years ago...  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2017, 12:33 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 12:02:
Maybe it's an experiment on Cameron's part to see just how awful he can make a script before the visual appeal doesn't matter.
Ha! An interesting suggestion. Yeah, the story was pretty damn weak, but then again.. if you start with the premise of controlling alien "avatars" it kind of puts you in a box. I'll probably catch the sequels on the movie channels, at best.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:39 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:13:
R.I.P.: Paul Horner, Famous Fake News Writer, Found Dead at Age 38.
My condolences to his friends and family. However, at the risk of sounding like a complete jerk -- karma is a bitch.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:24 Mr. Tact

So, don't watch the pre-game. Pretty damn simple. Frankly, I usually mute or turn the channel just before the anthem anyway. And no, I don't hate America.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:08 Mr. Tact

I don't know if you are going to read this or not RoboNerd, but I feel compelled to write it. If you are dropping the NFL due to the protests, I suggest you haven't looked closely at what has happened.

The vast majority of the protesters are not protesting the flag, the anthem, or our troops.

In some cases, like with the Dallas Cowboys, the "protest" happened prior to the anthem. The "protest" consisted of players, coaches, and the owner linking arms and kneeling -- which inexplicably some people boo'ed them for. The protest is to bring attention to some of the inequalities which exist in our society. Now you may or may not have experienced or personally witnessed these inequalities, but have no doubt -- they exist.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 21:05 Mr. Tact

RoboNerd wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 20:15:
I have decided to stop participating in the ESPN UPickem/Pigskin Pickem competition. I have had my fill of the brouhaha and will not be spending any more time on the NFL. So from here on that is why you will see goose eggs and my name plummeting to the bottom.
Okay, apologies in advance, but I have to ask.... you are "not spending any more time on the NFL" is because of the player protests?

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
50. Re: Intel's Sep 26, 2017, 19:55 Mr. Tact

wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 13:52:
Still on a 3570K, too. GTX 680 still working pretty good too.
Yep, I'm still rocking a i7-3770 and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti here. I considered upgrading just before PC builders were dropping Win7, but never pulled the trigger. I probably should have done that, *meh* whatever, such is life.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 13:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:18:
Aren't you currently living in a hurricane zone?
You must have me confused with someone else. My disaster of choice is tornadoes, I live in central Illinois. None of that hurricane, earthquake (New Madrid is a minor concern), wild fire, massive flooding (I'm no where near a major river) which plagues the rest of the country. Give or take a year or two, I've lived in tornado central since 1974, seen one, nearest one ever got to somewhere I lived was about a mile.

I was wondering after Irma if 50" of rain fell on our entire county in 4-5 days, what would happen? I spoke with a few people and I'm reasonably certain the answer is not much. Yes, there would be a lot of flooded corn and soybean fields, and yes some people would get flooded basements. And the few people next to water pathways would get some flooding, but overall -- it really wouldn't be a big deal.

While I understand it isn't entirely the fault of the people living in Houston, that years of bad policy and city planning are mostly to blame -- I don't have a ton of sympathy for people who live in a flood plain and get flooded. Duh.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 11:23 Mr. Tact

Blue, your tales of move preparation only reinforce my personal plan to never move again. Bought this house (along with the bank) 12 years ago and I plan to die in it... barring my winning the lottery that is..  

5946 Comments. 298 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo