Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7761 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2018, 22:59 Mr. Tact

TV licensing in the UK
TV licensing around the world

Kind of hard to believe the US has managed to miss this taxing opportunity, then again we don't have the VAT either... yet.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2018, 22:30 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 15:16:
Welcome to the present.
Oh, I had/have no doubt it is still done. But I don't recall seeing it personally since the 70s.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2018, 14:23 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 13:10:
You probably dry your socks on a clothes line. [wink]
Man, I remember that from the 60s and 70s. But never did it myself...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2018, 12:59 Mr. Tact

I've never owned any socks which were specific to the left or right foot...  

News Comments > Riot Games Sued Over Gender Discrimination
9. Re: Riot Games Sued Over Gender Discrimination Nov 8, 2018, 09:44 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 09:39:
The part that states that promotions tended to go to men more than women. In a company that is comprised of 80% men and 20% women, doesn't probability and statistics basically guarantee this would be the case?
Yes, that is true. It all depends on the actual numbers. If 99% of the promotions went to men for instance...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2018, 14:38 Mr. Tact

Same here, there was nothing to right-click on, I actually thought to try that even though it didn't seem there was anything there.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I get that occasionally, not very often though. I've never received a call with a message which didn't have a voice to text conversion in the email with it. So, now if there is no text I assume it is a blank message and just delete the email.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 12:11 Mr. Tact

I get far fewer than that Prez, in the neighborhood of 1-2 a week, and it still annoys the hell out of me. Basically, I almost never give my cell number out. I have a Google Voice number I give to most businesses. I have it setup so if someone actually leaves a message, it gets forwarded to my email. It also acts as my "emergency" phone line if for some reason I was unable to use my cell. All for an upfront cost of about $80 bucks, no continuing costs.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2018, 12:03 Mr. Tact

While I'd agree AT&T is at the very least attempting to provide notification prior to disconnecting the service, the fact someone has reported a copyright infringement doesn't mean there has been one. It is far too easy for legal entities to claim copyright infringement even when there has been no such infringement.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2018, 20:43 Mr. Tact

Cool, thanks BoP. Care to explain further for those of us who don't speak HTML? (Thought about picking it up a couple of times, but never got around to it)

I agree with others, he got off easy.

News Comments > Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement
39. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 15:56 Mr. Tact

Desalus wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 09:08:
Not all mobile games are hot garbage, unless I guess if you are some kind of gaming elitist.
All? Probably not all. Most? Definitely.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2018, 15:51 Mr. Tact

Regardless of how good or bad or poorly executed China's plan was, there is going to be a world population crisis at some point if steps are not taken to slow the growth. But hey, my family did it's part. My two sisters and myself have produced exactly one child.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2018, 15:37 Mr. Tact

TheEmissary wrote on Nov 4, 2018, 15:02:
You have to wonder of degrees or life-skills these people will have after their e-Sports career ends.
As opposed to all those students spending their time playing football, basketball, or any other organized sport -- both are equally valid. If you want to say none of them are valid, I might be willing to agree...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

Waiting didn't resolve it for me. Thirty minutes later it still wasn't loaded. Which I kind of expected since there was no indication there was loading going on..  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2018, 13:35 Mr. Tact

Huh, weird. The "Just because you can go fast.." video doesn't load for me. I land on the page, and the up or down vote icons are there as are all the comments but no video. Tried a search from Google, found it, but still the same happened.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Bitcoin Will Burn the Planet Down. The Question? How Fast? Nov 5, 2018, 22:38 Mr. Tact

I don't know if it will "burn the planet down", but it certainly is something worth keeping an eye on. There have are already been calls for additional taxes on power use for currency mining. That seems like a reasonable step.  

21. Re: Apple's falling behind Google and Amazon in the smart home race. Nov 5, 2018, 21:42 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 19:39:
"the majority of people are ALREADY in on this, and claiming it will go nowhere is a statement that will age poorly."
I wouldn't claim it will go nowhere, I would claim the usefulness is far more limited than you seem to think. And just because a majority of people do anything is not a valid endorsement. As I said, it will get there eventually...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 Mr. Tact

Paywalled for me, wonder if it a by region thing?  

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 5, 2018, 10:09 Mr. Tact

Yes, I realize I'm in the minority. Hell, I made my living on computers and I've never logged onto Facebook, that alone puts me in a very small minority. I certainly never had a problem programming a VCR. None of the things you said you can do with smart technology holds any interest for me. I simply don't find it necessary or even useful to "play basically any song every written, ever, in any room of my home from anywhere".

This technology will be useful to me eventually, maybe. Although it might take longer to reach that point than I'll live...

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 5, 2018, 08:49 Mr. Tact

I gotta go with BoP on this one. The closest thing to a smart device in my house is a programmable thermostat for the furnace/AC. I have never seen any advertised "advantage" of smart devices for the home which I thought would be useful to me.

7761 Comments. 389 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo