Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5665 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2017, 12:12 Mr. Tact

I considered making a large payment on my mortgage, but in the end decided 3.875% money is pretty cheap. I'd rather keep my money in the S&P 500 fund. That was a good decision. Besides, between my mortgage interest and my property taxes, I'm already in the better to itemize category...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2017, 11:38 Mr. Tact

Other than AT&T getting closer to returning to their glorious past of being a monopoly is there any good news around this merger, specifically to the consumer? I doubt it, but I'd be willing to listen to arguments...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2017, 07:19 Mr. Tact

Did the CEO know? Possibly, even probably. Did a senior executive know? It would seem highly unlikely at least one didn't. Fairly reasonable to assume a group of engineers isn't going to decide on their own, without consulting management, to design and implement an engine system to bypass emissions testing. Hell, there are probably cost cutting systems which got in the way. Cost guy, "Why did the cost go up?" Engineer, "Just doing what management told me to do."

That said, I don't know about in Europe, but no senior management in the US will do any jail time over this. The most serious thing which might happen is a fine or at absolute worse a suspended sentence. However, I seriously doubt there will be that much accountability.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 22:08 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 13:24:
Something like spanish flu would kill the US as a functional nation within 30 days. Yeah, you are immune if you survive, you are also now starving and facing anarchy and a new dark age... death would be preferable
It would have to be worse than the Spanish Flu was, from the Wiki page:

"The global mortality rate from the 1918/1919 pandemic is not known, but an estimated 10% to 20% of those who were infected died. With about a third of the world population infected, this case-fatality ratio means 3% to 6% of the entire global population died."

That's not to say some kind of "super flu" couldn't wipe out 50% or more of even western countries. My feelings are split on surviving such a calamity. On the one hand, living over dying is a pretty big win. And it would be interesting to see which horror author got it right. On the other hand, it would probably just mean a longer more painful death in the long run...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 15:16 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:57:
Sometimes get billed even if you don't have it. bureaucracies are the best.
Nice. And not particularly surprising... However, I would ask... were they sending monthly bills? If so, why didn't he call after the first month without power? Then he would have gotten their BS story and could have cancelled, saving seven months worth of billing. If they weren't sending him a bill for those eight months, that would seem to be an indication on their part he didn't deserve to be billed.

Edit: Looking more closely, looks like the billing is quarterly -- making his options more limited.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 14:50 Mr. Tact

Trump doesn't have dementia. He simply doesn't know or care about anything other than his personal needs -- to be adored, to make money, to grab pussy. He is a very simple person.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:47 Mr. Tact

Apparently you are confirming, without looking at your bill, you have a very minimal monthly fee for connection to your electrical provider. I envy you that since as I indicated, if I used absolutely no power or gas in a month I would still pay $39.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:35 Mr. Tact

That's great -- it totally ignores what I said, but it is great.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:32 Mr. Tact

Yes, however he wasn't the only one claiming eye brow trimming...  

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 14:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:02:
Things have become so tribal, that Republicans can't think straight.
Fixed that for you...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:53 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:26:
I've managed to get my electric bill down to $15 a month. No solar panels.
Either you mean $15 of actual power charges, or you have a far better setup with your power utility than we do with ours. Here, the monthly charge for being connected to the electrical grid is just over $17, another $21.82 for being connected to the natural gas. Yes, nearly $39 a month for the privilege of being connected...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Start seeing a better barber? I haven't ever trimmed my eye brows, not my job.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 09:22 Mr. Tact

shul wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 08:47:
No profit?

it had 2 million views, I think he is good
I doubt it was monetized.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2017, 16:04 Mr. Tact

The power utilities can take a flying leap. So tired of seeing the fee for being connected to their service being more than the cost of the power I am using. While I understand the supposed reason for this, I am unconvinced it isn't total profit and PR these days.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 11:37 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 10:15:
I didn't know it was Video Game Day. I just assume every day is a video game day. ;P
It is.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 07:58 Mr. Tact

Damn Bats! Half a mill? Clearly doing better than I ever did. Congrats.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2017, 21:18 Mr. Tact

I bought in 2005 and my value is about where it started (Central Illinois) -- bought for $176.5k, current value $183.8k. And frankly, with our high real estate taxes, I'd rather the market not heat up...  

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 6, 2017, 21:12 Mr. Tact

I hope it happens. To date however, I haven't really seen reason to believe it will.  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 6, 2017, 20:00 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 6, 2017, 19:24:
I agree Pence would be worse. And if he were impeached, it gets even worse with the Blu-ray Granny Starver, Paul Ryan.
Paul Ryan is a great example of an excellent politician. That is to say, he knows how to play the media/public. When he first rose to prominence, I initially thought he seemed like a reasonable guy. But it didn't take too long to realize my initial impression was incorrect. His ideas on what the federal government should look like are radical. Here is a guy who was thinking while in college about how he wanted to eliminate Medicare and Medicaid. Ryan's picture of what the US federal government should look like would not be recognizable by most US citizens.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 6, 2017, 18:24 Mr. Tact

First, currently there is no information available publicly which would lead to an impeachment and then removal from office of Trump. It is not even close. Second, even if it did happened, Pence is worse. Sure, we'll no longer have the POTUS tweeting nonsense -- because he will be busy getting legislation passed which will make the Ds reflect fondly on the Trump administration. No matter what happens, US citizens are in for a world of pain even if 40% of them (the Trump supporters) don't realize it yet.  

5665 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo