Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6578 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 19, 2018, 19:51 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 19:07:
In this area you can't base your purchase on price alone, because it ain't cheaper (just shittier)
I agree with your assessment. I would also say there are people who wouldn't know the difference and would go for a cheaper alternative. However you did say they were the same price, which was something I hadn't bothered to figure out. You'd think this would be a major blow to their bottom line, after all if they don't provide the basic service you are paying why buy from them? Either they address the problem quickly and publicly or you would think their customer base would disappear quickly...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 19, 2018, 15:07 Mr. Tact

Err, why not? Assuming they charge less meaning they hire people to work for them for less, which means those employees are either less experienced or don't give a shit. Either way it means they're more likely to either screw up the configurations and allow access to the IPs, or try to make an extra buck and sell them....  

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 19, 2018, 14:09 Mr. Tact

Without looking, I'd guess they're popular because they are cheap. You get what you pay for...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:07 Mr. Tact

I was under the impression there was a consensus agreeing the idea of using nuclear weapons to deflect asteroids was a bad idea -- basically a last choice, use only in the case of an emergency option. Launching rockets into space carrying satellites with nuclear fuel is bad enough, the risk of launching a nuclear weapon was deemed untenable except in extreme situations.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 11:32 Mr. Tact

Or in other words, "When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing."

As Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Nov. 2016: Sanders Flashback

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 15:14 Mr. Tact

Maybe Netflix would have enough money to pay for the rights to all the original music -- something they didn't manage for the DVDs..  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 18, 2018, 15:12 Mr. Tact

Big difference between $11m and $750k. A reasonable saver with a good job could expect to have 750k in a 401k after 20 years. Although, I have no idea if the FBI offers a 401k. But yeah, even if he does have a net worth of $11m -- firing him two days before vesting is just being a dick.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 18, 2018, 12:38 Mr. Tact

Don't forget saving the American taxpayer by firing a 20 year veteran of the FBI two days before his pension vests...  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 18, 2018, 11:52 Mr. Tact

Unfortunately the UConn Womens basketball team records are almost as embarrassing as they are amazing. It feels a bit like the Globetrotters beating up on the Generals. I realize that's somewhat unfair, but "it is what it is"...  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 18, 2018, 09:59 Mr. Tact

Reason number 24,305 I'm glad I've never created a FB login.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 18, 2018, 09:55 Mr. Tact

Not much of an article -- hell, I could have written something that good when I was in HS. Between drivel like that and publishing articles which haven't been fact checked it is a wonder Rolling Stone still exists at all.  

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
17. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 09:49 Mr. Tact

I did play the original Myst but never really got far. I should probably try it again seeing how much time I spent on "The Witness".  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 08:59 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 03:53:
Pretty sure alcohol is worse. 30K people die due to alcohol-related accidents each year. The same cannot be said for The Leaf.
Leaf isn't legal most places. Therefore it is difficult to compare the stats...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 00:35 Mr. Tact

Serious bonus points to Mark Pocan for keeping McCabe from being screwed out of his pension.  

4. Re: These 'nano-drops' might replace your need for contact lenses and glasses. Mar 18, 2018, 00:29 Mr. Tact

Uh, sounds a little too good to be true. I'd like to hear/read some more about it. That said, I hope it is true.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 17, 2018, 12:34 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 12:25:
If only Ajit Pai would shoot himself in the dick.
Too late, he has already reproduced...

As for the FCC making nonsensical arguments, who could have predicted that from this administration? I am shocked. SHOCKED!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2018, 11:52 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 11:26:
Yeah, I had an HP Laserjet 5 for like 12 years before it bit the farm.
bit the farm? Did you attempt to get it repaired? I had a HP Laserjet at work for more than a decade when it stopped working. Took it to a local laser printer repair shop and for $75 they replaced some minor part and used a "maintenance kit" on it -- boom! It was still working great when they laid me off 5+ years later.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2018, 10:24 Mr. Tact

Here's another anecdotal vote for Brother. Bought one of their color laser printers a few years ago -- my printing needs are pretty low, but after going through a couple of ink jet printers decided to try this. There was a bit of upfront costs (roughly $400 from what I remember) but so far, so good. I'm happy with the decision. Works great, no problems.

For the record I bought a MFC-9340CDW.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2018, 09:54 Mr. Tact

Elizabeth Holmes is laughing all the way to the bank. From the wiki page:
At its peak, Theranos raised more than $700 million in funding with a $9 billion valuation

By June 2016, it was estimated that Holmes' personal net worth had dropped from $4.5 billion to $0.[9] The Wall Street Journal reported in 2017 that the company was near bankruptcy until it received a $100 million investment from Fortress Investment Group.

On March 14, 2018, the SEC announced that it had reached a settlement with Holmes in what it called a "massive fraud" which included a fine of $500,000 and which stripped Holmes of control of the company and barred her from being an officer or director of a public company for 10 years.
Poor girl was down to .9 billion and they fined her $500,000! So unfair!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2018, 22:03 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 19:48:
A Pyramid scheme is still a pyramid scheme. All it will take is for one or two countries to ban them and the house of cards will fall.
While I agree with this sentiment, it can take a long time for pyramid schemes to finally fail. Look at Madoff, or even Herbalife... Even if you could say for a fact Bitcoin was a pyramid scheme, it wouldn't necessary mean it would end anytime soon.

6578 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo