Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6669 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2018, 16:40 Mr. Tact

mag wrote on May 12, 2018, 16:17:
Did you really not like Altered Carbon? I haven't watched it, but I read the novel, and I was kinda iffy on that. But everyone seemed to love the Netflix series.
I watched the TV series and then read the three books. I enjoyed both, but thought they were only okay to good, not great.

The series is based on the first book alone. There were some changes, but I thought it followed the book about as closely as you could expect. Both the book and the series were punctuated with violence and sex. This is neither good or bad, simply a matter of taste.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2018, 16:57.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2018, 15:18 Mr. Tact

Giving blood every six weeks is about all I can take (I give since I am O-, universal donor), giving plasma once a week? Clearly he deserves a sainthood...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 19:31 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:10:
That blows. Hopefully someone else picks it up. Shows are cancelled for a variety of reason with the primary ones being ratings and profitability. The Expanse most likely got dropped due to the "nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S."
That would explain why episodes were not rebroadcast, I had been wondering about that since my DVR somehow managed to miss an episode in season two.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 17:56 Mr. Tact

There are bad dates, and then there are BAD dates.  

9. Re: Man exacts revenge on package thieves with a loud trap. May 11, 2018, 16:09 Mr. Tact

*sheesh* Damn thieves.. it would be interesting to know what period of time it look for all those events to occur. I mean, it wasn't likely the same day as the fence was taken down...  

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 10:16 Mr. Tact

That you don't understand and don't want an explanation is completely unsurprising.  

12. Re: The Price of This Drug Went Up 100,000 Percent Since 2001 for No Good Reason. May 10, 2018, 17:57 Mr. Tact

KS wrote on May 10, 2018, 14:08:
The alternative to expensive drugs isn't cheaper ones. It's no drugs at all.

Anybody can look at the current state of invention and shout things should be cheaper. But unless you have Dr. Strange's amulet, you can't see the other, less-capitalistic futures where the drug is delayed years or decades, or not invented at all.

This is all tied up in trying to force insurance to pay for it by introducing an idiotic price you can negotiate down from. Meanwhile people die.
What the hell are you talking about? In this particular case the drug has been around since the 1950s and selling for years at a low price. There is no legitimate capitalism reason to increase the price by 100,000% -- they just can, so they did. It is greed plain and simple.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization May 10, 2018, 00:21 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on May 8, 2018, 18:33:
I see MoviePass is dying, somehow I doubt anyone outside the company is surprised.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 10, 2018, 00:17 Mr. Tact

The incident was two years ago, the Stars and Stripes article was from a year ago. I wonder if the case has been resolved.

Edit: Here it is. He got a lot less than he could have.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2018, 00:30.

9. Re: Sprint one year free offer May 9, 2018, 20:36 Mr. Tact

Sprint is offering new customers a free year of unlimited phone and data service. No gotchas according to c/net, you can read their article on it here -- which contains a link to the Sprint offer.

Edit: Realized the offer is nearly a year old, but I only heard of it when a buddy told me he signed up two weeks ago. The signup site seems to still be active... so *shrug*

This comment was edited on May 9, 2018, 23:54.

7. Re: The Price of This Drug Went Up 100,000 Percent Since 2001 for No Good Reason. May 9, 2018, 17:35 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 9, 2018, 17:03:
If there was an actual free market this would never happen.
So, what exactly are you suggesting? That the legal protections such as patents and copyrights be stuck down so anyone can make these products thereby allowing a normal supply and demand model to operate? If so, wouldn't that kill any benefit to spending any significant amount of capital on research and development which is what allowed most of these drugs to be discovered/created?

4. Re: The Price of This Drug Went Up 100,000 Percent Since 2001 for No Good Reason. May 9, 2018, 13:55 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I mentioned this a couple of days ago:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 6, 2018, 20:58:
Nice story on 60 minutes tonight -- someone increasing the price of a drug from $40 a vial to $40,000 a vial. Shkreli is jealous...
I'm not quite sure how anyone can look at this example and claim "capitalism" is the solution to all market issues. If you get rid of all the government regulation on business, as so many conservatives claim they want to do, you'll see this happening a lot more often in any kind business where there is a limited source for the product or service.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2018, 18:33 Mr. Tact

I see MoviePass is dying, somehow I doubt anyone outside the company is surprised.  

News Comments > Avengers: Infinity War Fortnite Crossover Event
14. Re: Avengers: Infinity War Fortnite Crossover Event May 8, 2018, 17:46 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on May 8, 2018, 14:55:
Nah it's even more simple than that. Just the usual "kids these days" and "society is crumbling" lamentations that have been repeated for millennia.
Yep. I've said the same thing here multiple times. My usual comment is something like, "If people hadn't been saying it since speech was created, I'd say based on the next generation the world is in serious trouble."

If you had a chance to travel into the future, one way permanently: 1) Would you? 2) If so, how far into the future would you go? This idea has always intrigued me because I've always wondered how the 1970s-2020s will be presented in the history books of the future. Personally, I think I'd go for 500 years.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 8, 2018, 13:38 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on May 8, 2018, 10:45:
How can Melania Trump plagiarize if some underpaid assistant wrote it? And by wrote it I mean copied it from the Obama administration verbatim.
You are absolutely correct. Whomever on her staff is responsible should be looking for a new job.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2018, 18:37 Mr. Tact

I'm mostly with Blue, while I believe you points are valid, I simply don't notice them for the most part because I am just sitting back and enjoying the film. However, that said I will have a more critical eye when I get in some repeat viewings on the movie channels.

Addressing a couple of your points...
Creston wrote on May 7, 2018, 16:19:
It was an entertaining movie, but...

- Same with Thanos supposedly being upset over killing his daughter. The whole movie, the only reference point you get as a viewer of that relationship is through Gamorra's eyes, so all you see is hatred. If you wanted me to give a shit about how hard that supposedly was for Thanos, SHOW ME THAT HE CARES throughout the movie.

- The big reveal of Thanos at the end (in that hut, where he kinda smiles at himself) was supposed to instill a sense in the viewer that Thanos had NOT excluded himself from the 50% roll of the dice, except that they made it WAAAAAY too subtle and very few people even picked up on that. Having him go "Huh, guess I made it." at the end would have pushed that point home far more, and given more nuance to his entire insane plan. Now, most people just see him as another one of those "We must sacrifice everything for the sake of the world, but by we I mean you people, not myself!" assholes.

The fact he did not exclude himself is a powerful storytelling device, and again, Marvel just kind of half-asses it.

I totally missed the idea that Thantos included himself in the 50/50 chance. So way too subtle. And yeah, I have to agree -- I found the scene where he gets the Soul Stone to be completely unbelievable. There was just no reason for the audience to think Thantos was anything but just plain evil. The idea that he loved his adopted daughter more than anything in the universe really falls flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2018, 20:58 Mr. Tact

Nice story on 60 minutes tonight -- someone increasing the price of a drug from $40 a vial to $40,000 a vial. Shkreli is jealous...  

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2018, 16:01 Mr. Tact

Not surprising, on a major blockbuster like that you really need to see it within the first week to avoid spoilers. People just need to get those click bait titles out there... and they aren't going very wait long. I'm surprised they aren't blasting out the secrets in headlines on release day...  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
17. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 6, 2018, 15:57 Mr. Tact

Cutter, I look forward to seeing the footage of you rushing a bear with a burning torch...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2018, 15:27 Mr. Tact

First lawn mowing of the year completed. Ahh, the joys of home ownership. A gravel lawn is almost enough reason to move to Phoenix, almost.  

6669 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo