Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5504 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2017, 17:28 Mr. Tact

I wonder -- How does the size of AT&T now both capitalization and number of employees compare to the AT&T pre 1982 break-up? Four of the seven "Baby Bells" created out of that break-up are now owned by AT&T, again.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 16:49 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 16:28:
Dunkirk is apparently a masterpiece...
Is that your opinion, or someone else's? Truthfully, I don't know that I need another film to remind me how terrible war is. It probably is a good film, just not sure I care to see it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2017, 15:41 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 15:32:
I don't think any high intelligence would put "mass genocide" on it's to-do list... at least not intentionally and unprovoked. So there is that.
Actually, this is part of the problem. There is no reason to believe any created intelligence would share our values. Unless we somehow manage to integrate them, which when you actually think about it, isn't an easy thing to do. So, if you suddenly have something which thinks much faster than you, but has no morals or sense of right and wrong.... well, the problems are obvious.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 14:23 Mr. Tact

Is an attitude like that you should send your resume to the white house.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 14:11 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 14:02:
Crap, they are serious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9w8L_v4ym4
Hmm, what do you think real or fake? I'm voting fake.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 11:23 Mr. Tact

I remember using PowerPoint in 1992-1994 and thinking then it wasn't great. It is amazing it has lasted as long as it has...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 11:12 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 11:10:
They sent me a letter about a month ago saying my claim was insufficient (the claim I'd submitted like 10 months ago), after I'd given them all my hardware IDs and a copy of my newegg invoice. Apparently they did this to a great many people.
I am shocked. SHOCKED!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 22:43 Mr. Tact

So, I was on a movie revenue site and noticed "Alien: Covenant" has made 73M in 59 days. Think that's bad enough to kill and further Alien films?  

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 20:32 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:00:
Machine learning is already a thing. So is machines teaching machines. We're closer to this than 50 years. The good thing is that this is being discussed and planned for, with conversations like this one.

Sam Harris had a great podcast with Wired founder Kevin Kelly about this very topic just 2 weeks ago. Well worth your time.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/landscapes-of-mind
Interesting conversation. But I didn't hear anything to make me think we are within 50 years of anything I would recognize as an AI. However, I am willing to admit it is such a complex thing, it is possible I am wrong. But if I could expect to collect on betting against it, I would. The chimpanzee visual memory test was also interesting, I had not heard about that. Here is one of the videos I found. As I think I might have guessed, children do better than adults.

I think the term they used of "alien intelligences" vs. AI was a good thought process. Yes, there will be computer "intelligences", hell there already are some. A computer which can beat any human in the world at chess is, at some level, intelligent. And those kind of specialized machines will certainly become more common place as time goes on. I saw a 60 Minutes segment on IBM's Watson being used to help find treatments for cancer patients. These things are "on the road" to what I would think of as an AI. But that road is very long...

I did like the idea of the first human singularity being the creation of language. And that no human prior to the creation of language could imagine what life would become after language was created. And how, no two cavemen sat around and said, "Hey, it is so cool we created language. We should have done this a long time ago." It happened without the realization of what a significant change it was. It was only eons later upon reflection the significance was realized.

Although they didn't say this, I think it is reasonable to think if the computer singularity is going to happen, it is likely we won't see it coming and we can not currently imagine what life will be like if it does. And it is possible it will happen without us noticing...

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2017, 15:21 Mr. Tact

Okay, I gotta ask... what were her arguments for it?  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 14:38 Mr. Tact

MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 13:21:
Not familiar with Dan Simmons' Hyperion series, but you've peaked my curiosity to check it out.
Fantastic series IMHO. It is basically two connected stories, each story broken into two novels.

"Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion"

"Endymion" and "The Rise of Endymion"

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 12:21 Mr. Tact

In the Jack Reacher film there is a scene where Tom Cruise/Reacher talks about there being three kind of people who join the Army. First, some just need a job. Second, some what to serve their country. And third, some just want to kill people. It seems this is might be true for police officers too...  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 12:02 Mr. Tact

MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:42:
It may be decades away, but it is better to act/regulate sooner than later in lieu of just marveling at our own advances, and then act when it may be too late.
Maybe. Personally I'd expect any kind of "true AI" will be accidental/unplanned. I find the idea put forward in Dan Simmons' Hyperion series compelling. AI developing pretty much on it's own within our cyber space. Growing from simply understood 80 byte code segments to super intelligences without any human interaction.

Even if it was the result of carefully quarantined experiments, one mistake -- and it would be out. Humans tend to make mistakes fairly often....

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2017, 12:24.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 10:39 Mr. Tact

I can't quite put the reason into words, but I've never been able to get into Doctor Who. Best I could do is say, it is a bit too quirky for my tastes. The idea of a female Doctor Who seems intriguing though, if the writers handle it correctly...  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2017, 10:35 Mr. Tact

The Internet of Things - A Disaster for No Good Reason.

There, fixed the headline for them.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2017, 10:30 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 10:09:
Enough to cover one month's alimony.
If you can't do the time....

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 10:29 Mr. Tact

Musk needs better medication. At best (worst?) we are many decades from the kind of AI which could/would be a danger to humanity. And frankly, even if it did cause some type of confrontation between AI and humanity, I'm sorry I won't live to see it.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 10:24 Mr. Tact

Congrats on your get together Blue -- sounds like a fantastic time. I envy you for that kind of situation.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 22:59 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the bicycle one is very thought provoking. Presumably if riding a bicycle can be so strongly ingrained into your brain, other things can too -- say like... political positions.

So, are people "stuck" believing their political positions, literally unable to change. Or at least, so significantly resistant to the point that only persistent, long term, training can change it. I don't know if that's a valid comparison or not, but based on what I've seen over the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if it was valid.

4. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 20:00 Mr. Tact

Very cool, that guy's videos are usually interesting.  

5504 Comments. 276 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo