Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7616 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 17, 2018, 15:43 Mr. Tact

Speaking of that, have you guys heard about this project in Stuggart to move their train station underground so they can reclaim the surface area for the city center? It was recently featured on the show "Engineering Catastrophes". You expect better from German engineers, what a colossal mess.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $200M
17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 17, 2018, 15:40 Mr. Tact

Roberts has a long way to go to catch Bernie Madoff...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2018, 14:37 Mr. Tact

Product placement: *ugh* so, bad.

Violent conflict in Congo: Hasn't this been true for a couple of decades now?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2018, 12:07 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 19:28:
Doesn't happen much these days, but I wonder if the Feds will break up Amazon.
Very unlikely I'd say, that kind of thing does not happen often.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2018, 10:57 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2018, 09:46:
The cut he recommended on The Silence of the Lambs after it was "locked" took it from predictable thriller-drama all the way to eleven.
Wow, yeah. The scene described which was removed seems clunky, at best. I have thought for a long time film editors got too little credit for a film's success. I based this on the fact I've never seen a "Director's Cut" film which I thought was better than the original.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 16, 2018, 17:15 Mr. Tact

whitelined wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 16:15:
And even then, it's thought a GRB might not be so catastrophic...
Highly dependent on the distance to the star. Far enough away and it is a pretty light show, too close and we are all dead. On the bright side, if it was too close, the suffering would be short.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 16, 2018, 14:31 Mr. Tact

The biggest worry of that nature I am aware of is the very small chance we might see a gamma ray burst from WR_104.

WR 104

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 14:18 Mr. Tact

My bad, that's what I get for not reading the article -- I just assumed it was a civil action in Belize.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski: "I am NEVER making another game"
30. Re: Cliff Bleszinski: Nov 16, 2018, 14:16 Mr. Tact

So, he's upset that people are complaining about paying for something they will not get? Did he expect something else? Even if he is a "good guy" based on how he treated his employees, how does that invalidate the customers' position?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 13:07 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 12:57:
The McAfee thing is apparently a default judgement. Guess he was too busy with hookers and blow to show up to court?
More like he didn't want to end up in jail.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 10:22 Mr. Tact

I'm confused. Why did shopping for a phone require her to change your PIN?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 00:25 Mr. Tact

How much snow did NJ get?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 23:39 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 15, 2018, 11:45:
An interesting twist on the NJ couple/homeless man GoFundMe story. I have to admit I didn't see that coming. I wonder if it what happened or if the prosecutor is simply applying pressure in an attempt to get some plea bargains. I look forward to the next chapter in the story...
It looks like indeed it was a scam. Apparently they have phone texts from the woman telling a friend. She also texted that her mother told her "people go to jail for scamming others out of money". The best part, is it seems likely if they had just given the homeless half the money as planned, they would have gotten even more out of a book deal they were attempting to complete. They could easily have not gotten caught at all if they had just been a little less greedy.

Crooks.. their own worst enemies.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:44 Mr. Tact

Just curious, what was the nature of the proposed fire break? I ask this more out of ignorance than anything else. I don't know what kind of things would be proposed in that situation.

Edit: The more I think about this the more interested I am in the answer. I was under the impression these fires jump over 4 lane highways and wide rivers without much trouble. Seems like an effective fire break would have to be significant barrier...

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2018, 14:09.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 11:45 Mr. Tact

An interesting twist on the NJ couple/homeless man GoFundMe story. I have to admit I didn't see that coming. I wonder if it what happened or if the prosecutor is simply applying pressure in an attempt to get some plea bargains. I look forward to the next chapter in the story...  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 15, 2018, 00:51 Mr. Tact

FWIW, I haven't had any of my money in a bank for over 30 years. About 1% of my net worth is in a local credit union. Perhaps a minor difference from a bank, but an important one as far as I'm concerned. I'd also like to mention I have never paid a single fee in those 30+ years either, literally none. (although there were fees, as expected, when I got my mortgage through another institution)

Also, as far as lines go -- are you telling me you never waited in line for an ATM? Of course, none of this really matters. You do what you want, I'll do what I want. Neither is "right" or "wrong", simply different. However, I'm happy to dispense with the risk associated with ATMs.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Betrayal Announced
9. Re: Path of Exile: Betrayal Announced Nov 14, 2018, 21:27 Mr. Tact

Hmm, I'm not sure you'll get this immediately in the Standard league. Usually the new stuff is just in the new temporary league -- not always though. Of course, starting in the Betrayal league will end up in the Standard league in 2-3 months anyway, as always.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2018, 21:23 Mr. Tact

As dickish as this is and as much as I dislike Comcast, I don't really think anyone should go to jail over this. I do think they should be fined an amount well in excess of whatever they collected from these customers over the time period. Or even better, some percentage of the entire company income. That might affect their future behavior...  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2018, 21:20 Mr. Tact

Actually, I realize now I messed it up.. it is supposed to be: What drinking problem? I drink, I get drunk, I fall down, no problem!

Oh well. It has been a while since I was drunk, although it takes a less now than it used to and I'm a lot more susceptible to hangovers. Three or four beers and I feel it the next morning, used to take a lot more than that...

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Nov 14, 2018, 21:15 Mr. Tact

Hmm, well the quote given isn't tear producing -- the video doesn't appear for me.  

7616 Comments. 381 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo