Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5570 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 22:13 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 21:46:
This headline made me wonder whether we have April 1st to be honest, there exist people who believe anything Infowars and all those scam news sites post? Seriously?
Unfortunately, yes. The Mars stuff is extra silly, the number of people believing that is probably small. But he has plenty of crazy political stuff which is actually within the realm of possible -- even if it is obviously false.

People can convince themselves of most anything. I'm reminded of the scene in "Interstellar" where the teacher tells Matthew McConaughey's character the moon landings were faked. Yes, just a movie -- but something I could see happening seeing as some people already think they were faked.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
87. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 2, 2017, 18:51 Mr. Tact

Quinn, I wasn't attempting to imply anything just relaying a story, you inferred something. Respond to my other post.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 16:30 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 14:57:
That being said, tourists die in Hawaii all the time by not respecting the ocean. A couple of military guys died there a few years ago going to Chinaman's hat. The 100 meters or so of ocean to cross to get there is shallow enough to walk, so I'm not clear exactly how they drowned.
Assuming they ended up in water deep enough they couldn't stand, one possibility would be a riptide. If you don't know about them you can exhaust yourself going nowhere. Do yourself a favor, if you are going to be swimming in an ocean, learn about riptides.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 16:25 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 15:17:
Hate moving. So much to get done.....
Something you and Blue will have in common in the near future. And I totally agree, moving completely sucks.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 13:50 Mr. Tact

I'm sure there is someone as crazy as Trump on the left, the person just isn't well-known, yet. I do my best to ignore the far left and far right -- Trump, as mentioned, is neither. Unfortunately, ignoring Trump is no longer an option.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 13:47 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 13:31:
Never turn your back on the ocean.

Amateur.
Worse, possibly (probably?) staged. As a comment on the site mentioned, it would be difficult to not notice the pull out on the lower part of your body as the wave approached and/or the sound of the wave. Then again, he's visiting and on vacation... *shrug* who cares.

I have to say though, reminds me of my youth. My father was in the USAF and was stationed on Oahu when I was ages 7-10. Wish I was wealthy enough to spend my winters there -- but barring my winning the lottery, that isn't going to happen.

84. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 2, 2017, 11:50 Mr. Tact

For me, I think it is 6 times for speeding (over 30+ years), I'm 50/50 on actually being ticketed. And one more memorable instance...

I had just seen the film "Pulp Fiction" (not particularly relevant but somewhat amusing considering) and was headed home. It was late, I'd caught the last show so probably close to midnight. I was driving my beloved 1989 Mustang GT. I accelerated through an intersection to get on the yellow -- there were no other cars on the road. Anyway, shortly after that I was turning onto the Interstate and a cop turned his lights on behind me. I was already turning when I saw the lights so I pulled over on the side of the on-ramp. In my mirrors I watched the officer approach my car and I noticed he had his hand on his gun. I then turned my head and looked over my right shoulder to see a second officer standing in the grass with his gun already drawn.

It turns out there had been a robbery of a gas station in the area, and my car fit the "general description" of the get-away car. Officer talked with me for a few minutes, looked at my license and registration, and then let me go on my way...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
49. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 2, 2017, 09:54 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 12:55:
Exactly. How many wheelchair buses and/or taxis do you see in the run of a day even in a major city?

The accessibility thing is nuts. When I opened my first resto - a small 50 seat cafe - we had to install a handicapped bathroom that ate up a lot of necessary funds. In the 5 years I was there I never once saw anyone in a wheelchair come in. I doubt there's ever been someone in a wheelchair come in. I empathize for them but there has to be some common sense applied to the situation.
What do you consider a "major" city? I live in a town of roughly 130k. We have a bus system with 102 buses (I looked it up) and all them are wheelchair accessible.

A more reasonable question would be, how many licensed taxis are equipped to deal with wheelchair bound riders? This would appear to be a very comparable question and I suspect there are a lot of licensed taxis which are not equipped to deal with it. So don't forget to sue them too...

As for the reasonableness of equal access laws... yeah it can hit the small business guy in unfortunate way. Has the cafe ever had a fire? But such a business is probably required to have fire sprinklers. It is simply another cost of owning/running a public business and should have been considered in the business plan.

81. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 2, 2017, 09:36 Mr. Tact

You criticism is all well and good, Quinn. But I don't see you providing any suggestions for solutions or actions either. Are you throwing your hands up and saying there is nothing useful we can do?

The video you linked seems to be a very articulate young black woman discussing some misconceptions on racism. She seems to "blame" it on cultural differences. So, we just continue as it is until their culture changes? Her suggestions are:

1. Stay away from crime
2. Graduate College (with a good degree)
3. Plan for kids wisely.

Gee, thanks. She forgot to remind us to brush our teeth. That said, her overall message seems to be the black community mostly needs to help itself. And I would agree personal responsibility is important, it doesn't mean we can't help.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2017, 21:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 20:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 18:34:
Happy 150th, Canada!
https://youtu.be/YYtTb23PIAs?t=50
Given the current status of the US government -- I don't think we have any room/right to criticize any other western government... some others we might still be ahead of, despite Trump's best efforts.

76. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 1, 2017, 21:25 Mr. Tact

Quinn wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 20:13:
"There are no simple answers" directly followed by "We just gotta do the right thing." Fucking stunning. Thank you so much for that pearl of wisdom. Especially because most of us here are deadset on doing the wrong thing. :\

What makes your comments so useless is the fact that most people think they are doing the right thing; thinking the right thing. It's actual open discussion that puts those convictions to the test.
I guess you're right. I suppose the people who beat marchers in the 60s thought they were right -- which is difficult to understand, but almost certainly true. I think, perhaps naively, there are more "good people" for lack of a better term than bad. Hence, if everyone did what they thought was right, good would win.

If you don't know what to do to help, contact a local community organization, I'm sure at the very least they can point you in the right direction. It doesn't have to be a "march" or protest, just doing something like being a mentor for a young person can make a difference.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2017, 18:34 Mr. Tact

Happy 150th, Canada!  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2017, 13:31 Mr. Tact

I still think Trump's most revealing comment came in the debate with HRC. "No puppet. No puppet. You're the puppet. No, you're the puppet."

Typical third grader's response, I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. This really is his emotional level. Plus, the insults which hurt the most are the ones with a ring of truth -- and this line really seemed to get him going.

74. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 1, 2017, 12:58 Mr. Tact

I'm not pretending to know the answers. It is a complex situation, as most human interactions are. I'm saying everyone needs to do what is "right". Look at the history of race relations in the US. It is pretty clear who was right and who was wrong in the 1960s. If you are not a racist and spend some time thinking about it -- you'll know what is right. Look around your community and assist however you can.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2017, 16:34 Mr. Tact

I'd certainly have to agree with that assessment.  

67. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jun 30, 2017, 14:15 Mr. Tact

Is anyone going to succeed by doing nothing but complaining about inequities. Nope. But that doesn't change the fact there are inequities. Has progress been made? Sure. Is there a lot more to do? You bet.

Yes, there are bad cops. Yes, some people are crooks. There is a lot more grey than there is black and white. All we can do is try to make things better as best we can. The more people helping to make it better, the faster it will happen.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2017, 14:09 Mr. Tact

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 11:37:
Jesus, 50? And now dead?
Yeah, highly unfortunate -- the big C really blows. Personally, I'll be happy if I make it to 70. There really isn't any known reason I shouldn't, other than being overweight -- but you just never know do you? But the way I see things is, anything over 70 is a bonus for me.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 29, 2017, 22:28 Mr. Tact

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 19:04:
I have unlimited 1 gbit up/down fiber here for $70 a month which I'll get the second I can get the F out of my Comcast contract...I consider that acceptable.
Nice. I'm paying $70 a month (including fees and taxes) to Comcast for 50M. The local fiber project recently changed owners and we are awaiting word on if and when they will expand installations. Currently I am not in an installed neighborhood.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 29, 2017, 20:50 Mr. Tact

Possibly, I said "saw" but truthfully I don't recall where I got the information -- having heard it on NPR is certainly a possibility.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2017, 18:51 Mr. Tact

Copy the memory card somehow? No idea how you would do that, but that would seem to be way to go.  

5570 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo