Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5347 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday
7. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday Apr 30, 2017, 18:31 Mr. Tact

I'm not so sure all this D1 and D2 love isn't like the people screaming for Vanilla WoW. Nostalgia is a powerful influence....  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 18:29 Mr. Tact

Personally, I don't get ebooks. Half the reason I pick up a book these days is to get my eyes off an electronic screen. Plus, I just like physical books, own a few hundred of them... Whatever. If you like them, good for you. I'll take a pass...

/curmudgeon mode off

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Honest Ads - Why Credit Cards Are A Scam Apr 28, 2017, 11:40 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:39:
"Honest Ads - Why Credit Cards Are A Scam"

That Cracked Honest Ad = PRICELESS xD xD xD xD
Amusing, and mostly on point. However, I would say credit cards are not a scam. They are a financial tool, just like a steak knife is a tool. And just like a steak knife, if you use it incorrectly you are going to get hurt.

I speak from a position of "having been there". When I was in the USAF, I knowingly ran up some credit card debt. That's to say, I knew I was purchasing more than I could pay off and was entering a potential financial death spiral. But I decided at the time to say, "fuck it" -- and if I ended up declaring bankruptcy, so be it. Ah, the arrogance of youth...

I got out of the USAF and found a good job. But by then my debt was equal to about 75% of my annual salary. Most people would have been "caught" without many options at that point. Fortunately, the job was in my home town, so I swallowed my pride and moved in with my parents. I then proceeded to pay off the debt semi-aggressively. It took three years.

These days I never charge anything to a credit card that I won't be able to pay off when the bill comes. Since paying off that debt about 19 years ago, the credit card companies haven't gotten a single penny in interest from me.

9. Re: United dragging report- ‘Our review shows that many things went wrong that day.’ Apr 27, 2017, 12:27 Mr. Tact

From the article: "Under the airline’s new customer-first policy, travelers who voluntarily give up their seats will be eligible to receive up to $10,000 in travel certificates. " I'd like to hear the specifics on that, because my guess would be it will never happen. If they were smart, they'd just authorize the employees handling this to offer increasing amounts up to the $10,000 limit. I've been on flights where they were offering incentives to give up a seat. And I'm reasonably certain if they started offering $1,000 in travel certificates for giving up a seat, and upped the amount $500 every 30 seconds or so.. they would not reach $10,000 before someone volunteered...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2017, 12:20 Mr. Tact

Happy Anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Blue! Love2  

13. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 26, 2017, 20:24 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I realize South Park and other shows like it aren't "just" stupid, but their smart satire is too often buried underneath crude, rancid humor which I find unpalatable. *shrug* To each their own, I'm not criticizing anyone for liking these shows, it just isn't my cup of tea.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 15:55 Mr. Tact

What's the stupidity level? I am one of the apparently few people who doesn't think stupid is funny -- for instance, South Park is WAY too stupid for me. I can't last more than a minute or so on that...  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 14:26 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 11:36:
How can you have the internet and have not heard of R&M? Haha. If I recall, it's obsessed over on here when new episodes hit.
*shrug* Blue's is about the only way I might find out about something socially popular. I'm not on any social media site, so unless it hits the major news outlets... I'm not likely to find about it.

Being a curmudgeon is hard work, having to avoid all that stuff...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 09:18 Mr. Tact

Ha, another silly thing I missed out on -- never heard of Rick and Morty. LittleMe, supposedly not actors, but these days you can never be sure.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 09:14 Mr. Tact

Memento, Fight Club and The Prestige are all excellent films. Interestingly, they are all films best seen when you know nothing about them. I'd probably rate Memento a hair below The Prestige and Fight Club. Can't imagine watching any of them on regular cable or network television. They way they cut films up it they would surely ruin something...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2017, 10:36 Mr. Tact

Factorio 0.15 is out! Go play it.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
26. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 22:28 Mr. Tact

I wonder.. I assume other tractor/farm equipment manufacturers must be taking similar action or supporting Deere? I mean, John Deere might be the biggest (an assumption only) but they are far from the only. So, if the others were not doing this you'd assume there would be stampede to the competitors. Of course, that isn't much help if you already own a multi- $100k tractor from John Deere...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2017, 17:52 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I have to say I'm starting to think Idiocracy isn't as crazy or far off as one would think...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 12:21 Mr. Tact

Wait -- why is Trump going after Assange? I thought he loved WikiLeaks?  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 23, 2017, 11:57 Mr. Tact

Clearly the question is best "how"? Best to support human life, than yeah Earth wins hands down. Best at attracting comets and asteroids? Pretty sure Jupiter wins that.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
20. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 11:51 Mr. Tact

"John Deere just told the copyright office that only corporations can own property, humans can only license it."

Hmm, is there some way to tie in the Citizens United ruling here... corporations are people, if corporations can own property, then people can own property.. seems logical to me.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Beta
31. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Beta Apr 23, 2017, 10:18 Mr. Tact

Listen, I'm not trying to blast PoE as bad or anything. I like PoE, I'm playing PoE, and I'm looking forward to 3.0. But there are two opposing forces...

First, one of the main attractions is this massive, complicated, awesome passive skill tree. It allows all kinds of variations of builds and encourages experimentation. Need more life, grab some life nodes.. Second however, is the problem of if you try something which doesn't work, unless it is just a few points, it isn't "easy" to get the refund points.

I'm not suggesting they sell Orbs of Regret at the vendor at a rate of 40 for a single Scroll of Wisdom. But even if they did -- would that hurt the game somehow? I mean isn't the idea to be fiddling around and trying different things, not hording your Orbs of Regret for the switch to CI? They need to increase the drop rate on Orbs of Regret. If it was common to find say, oh I don't know.. 50-60 by the time you build up to level 85 or so. That would be nice. It wouldn't turn the skill build into D3 where you can change everything you want, whenever you want, which as far as I can tell is the community's main objection. But it would give you a lot more flexibility in building your character.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Beta
30. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Beta Apr 23, 2017, 09:20 Mr. Tact

So, now I have to get a special gear setup to get the Orbs, or wait three months (if I am lucky) to try another passive tree setup. I'll stand by what I said before...
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 13:11:
The worst thing is it wouldn't be too tedious if they'd just make it a bit easier to get passive skill refund points. That's the real problem...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 22:08 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 22:03:
RIP Erin Moran from Happy Days
Was reasonably young, 56 -- hope it wasn't a drug thing.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2017, 17:30 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 16:37:
Who cares? We're all gonna die anyways! Wreck
Thank goodness. I'm pretty sure living forever as things are now is not something I could deal with. Now, if I was living within The Culture then it would probably be acceptable.

5347 Comments. 268 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo