Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6797 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 12:38 Mr. Tact

No worries, I understand, me too. Things are cool.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 12:36 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 2, 2018, 12:01:
I'm not clicking it. Simply put it does not take any will power at all to take a pass on some bullshit.
Yeah, me either -- unfortunately many will (although not necessarily from this site).
Beamer wrote on May 2, 2018, 11:51:
Lowest Common Denominator, but we definitely do it to ourselves. He who doesn't go for clicks gets destroyed.

It's why The Kardashians are America's Royalty.
Again, I realize this. I guess I'm just continually surprised how often I am not like the masses. Many of the most popular things in the US are things I know almost nothing about. I mean yeah, I know the Kardashians exist, have a TV show, and are "famous", but truthfully, if you put them in a lineup, I couldn't tell you which one is which. Never seen their show, I mostly know about them from commercials playing in the background when I'm at my PC...

Oh yeah, and stay off my lawn.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 11:38 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2018, 11:27:
It gets clicks. It's going to be the most clicked link here, so Newsweek will keep discussing it. It will be the most discussed topic here, so Blue will keep featuring it. We doing this to ourselves!

And the more it's discussed, the more people think there just may be something to it.
Yeah, I know... clicks, ads, it drives everything. It is annoying and occasionally I like to rail against despite knowing I'm wasting my breath...

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 11:14 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2018, 03:49:
Assisted suicide is legal in California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Montana, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.
I don't know about all of them, but certainly some are restricted to the terminally ill which would not help David Goodall.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 11:11 Mr. Tact

If people want to think the Earth is flat, fine. Whatever. But why is it showing up in the news? Where are the reports of the successful alchemists turning lead into gold? *sheesh* If this is the best you can do to generate news, find a new job. Ignore them already.

Flat-earthers are either mentally deficient, idiots, or think they are being funny. There is no other explanation.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 20:09 Mr. Tact

Bundy wrote on May 1, 2018, 19:58:
That's why I plan to die suddenly and in a massive heart attack. Poutine FTW!
The problem with this plan is when you survive and end up with bad health, extreme debt, or both...

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 13:52 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2018, 13:44:
Incidentally typing was the most useful thing I learned in public school.
Same here. Although algebra is a close second. Amusingly my typing teacher (9th or 10th grade) was also a blonde female who would have definitely would have qualified for MILF status.

Oh yeah, and stay off my lawn also.

#MeTwoSpaces

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 13:16 Mr. Tact

As far as I'm concerned the main issue with assisted suicide is a concern over potential "abuse" of the system. People "assisting" their rich parents (or other relative) without the parent's knowledge and consent. Also, how do you draw the line? Can anyone claim they'd rather die? If a healthy 25 year old is asking for assisted suicide, what then? I think David Goodall's request is reasonable. The problem is how to define what's reasonable for all cases.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 12:47 Mr. Tact

Looking at the article again I realize I misread it. I thought it said they thought two spaces looked better, but it was actually referring to the single space practice. My bad.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 11:29 Mr. Tact

So, wait -- the Chicago Manual of Style and the Modern Language Association Style Manual say two spaces look better, yet the article calls this a horrible habit? Am I missing something or did they shoot themselves in the foot?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2018, 11:22 Mr. Tact

They have a monopoly on broadband in many areas, including my home's location. Monopolies are pretty good at making money.

Fortunately for me, I should before the end of this year have an alternative as our local fiber project is going to be installing in my neighborhood this spring. The price really isn't better than Comcast's, but it will be nice to give the money to someone other than Comcast.

8. Re: French museum discovers half of its collection are fakes. Apr 30, 2018, 16:29 Mr. Tact

Probably not the only museum with that problem. The art world is a scam fest.

Just last year a painting sold at auction which was claimed to have been done by Leonardo da Vinci and sold for $450 million. The story which received much less fanfare were the experts who were saying it wasn't a da Vinci. Then again, I'm not sure how much credit I would care to give any expert in this field. So, whatever.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2018, 13:59 Mr. Tact

Wow, Infinity War actually beat Star Wars' opening weekend record.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 29, 2018, 14:33 Mr. Tact

Hence why you should kiss everyone instead shaking their hands, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HVg5RLLzA

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 29, 2018, 11:20 Mr. Tact

DukeFNukem wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 00:20:
NKD wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 00:04:
You have a lot more faith in vaccines than I ever will.
I don't think vaccines require faith? It's not like no one knows how they work or that they are some great mystery. All you need is a very basic understanding of the underlying science and some lay-person digestible summaries of the peer reviewed studies.
A very basic understanding of the science? Do you know what a scary statement you just made? Scientists study these things for years and years and years and don't always get it right. Unless you have done that, that's all you really have is a very...basic...understanding of something your trusting with your life. I probably couldn't have said it better myself. Are you a scientist or a microbiologist? I'm not, nor will I probably ever be. You get results like they got in 1955 when you have a ...very...basic...understanding...of very complex science.
So, it is really complex, but you completely understand the situation. Congratulations on being a genius, apparently. Rolleyes

Do us and yourself a favor, up the dosage on whatever the meds are you should be taking. Oops. That would probably take some "faith" which you wouldn't have. Oh well...

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 28, 2018, 21:45 Mr. Tact

I'd agree it seems like an extremely difficult task. Impossible? Probably can't quite say that. Even if they don't manage to create a universal vaccine the research might learn something new, allowing for a vaccine which is effective against a broader range of strains.

Besides, $12 million out of the billions the Gates Foundation has available is a pittance. Let 'em try. The worst that can happen is they fail. *shrug*

News Comments > Into the Black
20. Re: Into the Black Apr 28, 2018, 21:22 Mr. Tact

I own seven Cosby comedy albums on CD, bought them many years ago. Used to pull them out every couple of years and spend some time laughing a lot. They'll never be the same now. More evidence that you can never really know anyone. Although the BTK serial killer was previous solid evidence of that.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2018, 19:03 Mr. Tact

Ahh, Jenny Agutter -- lusted after you for many years.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
30. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 28, 2018, 15:07 Mr. Tact

Maybe. But as someone who played the first 6.5 years and about 8 years total -- what would effectively be a re-release of the game built for modern systems, wouldn't be much of a draw at least to me.

How did EQ2 compare to the original? Was it just a rebuild with some new content? Of did they make major changes to the game mechanics or such...

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
28. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 28, 2018, 11:19 Mr. Tact

I have trouble imagining what a World of Warcraft 2 could be without being a complete repeat of what they have already done. But I'd be happy to find out my imagination was lacking in that area...  

6797 Comments. 340 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo