Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4708 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 22:33 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I've never understood why people put up with that. I'm 54 and I have had a checking account since I was 12 when I needed it for my paper route. And the only time I ever paid a fee for my savings or checking account was when I was a poor college student and I let my the checking balance slip below $100 a couple of times. I'm also at a credit union, but I'd be willing to go to a named bank if they had services I wanted but couldn't get at the credit union. However, I don't suspect that would actually ever happen.

And in fact, last year my credit union started charging if you received monthly paper statements. The first month I was charged, I went over and asked about it. Asked, "I've been mailed paper statements for 25 years without charge, why do you need to charge me now?" They waived the fee for my account.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 21:51 Mr. Tact

Ha! Just a saw a clip of Elizabeth Warren dressing down the Wells Fargo CEO at the senate hearing today. Once again, sometimes it sucks to be the good guys. He probably deserved to be taken out to the south lawn and be publicly flogged. Oh well...  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 21:38 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 19:03:
It is important that there be probable cause for an arrest. Otherwise, doing what you propose would eventually turn into a witch-hunt. Does this help clarify my point?
Being the good guys really sucks sometimes. Although I am loath to agree, I'm afraid I must. There has already been some reporting of people who quit rather than participate in the program. But if you are a $12 an hour teller / customer service rep. would you be willing to buck management and lose what you probably consider a "good job"?

Oddly, they were also firing these people at a rate of 1,000 a year for five years. So it seems like there was a lot going on there and I suspect we have only heard a small portion of it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 10:51 Mr. Tact

I have a similar issue. A tree in the neighbor's yard, literally just over the fence with a good portion of the the canopy over my property. Haven't bothered to figure out what the tree is, but it drops seed pods something like discolored, smallish limes. Total PITA. The only good news is it does not overhang my roof... I'd gladly go half and half to have it removed.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2016, 23:42 Mr. Tact

With enough will power they can probably do without food!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2016, 16:29 Mr. Tact

Right -- transmission is a huge problem. But let us ignore all that stuff for now... If it was feasible to cover most of Nevada or Arizona in solar panels, would the power produced approach the national usage or not?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2016, 15:42 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 15:28:
And the same for solar in the SW US. 330+ days of sun per annum. A small part of AZ paved with solar panels could provide the US with all of it's electrical needs. And distribution could be done via HVDC lines, which lose only 5% over 1000 miles.
Do you have any links for this? I remember reading someone calculating out all of Nevada being covered in solar panels. The premise being, it's mostly federal land already, so there would be far fewer issues with getting the land. But the result was an electricity output of less than 10% of the national usage. I don't have a link for that, but clearly one of those view points is totally wrong. And frankly, I have no idea which one....

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2016, 21:20 Mr. Tact

"You don't fuck with a man's car. You just don't do it."

-- Pulp Fiction

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2016, 19:43 Mr. Tact

89 mph standing a skateboard. That is insane.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2016, 19:38 Mr. Tact

Another vote for the Galaxy S6. I got one as the S7 was coming out. Big selling point for me was having a replaceable battery -- although I haven't had it long enough that's been needed.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2016, 07:00 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 22:49:
People can sit in their own shit and cry all day long, that's their choice. However, I saw more bare pairs of tits today than I think I've ever seen on any other single day in my life, including fetish balls. Today was a great day. I retire a happy man.
Okay, I'll bite. Where were you witnessing this display of the female anatomy? Nude beach?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2016, 19:39 Mr. Tact

Thank you Donald Trump.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2016, 07:17 Mr. Tact

Well, that worked out. I forgot about the pick 'em league so didn't have my picks in for the first game of the season last night. but with Denver winning, only 5 people in our league got the pick correct. And I probably would have picked Carolina anyway -- so little to no damage done. Heck of a deal!  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Legion Launched
21. Re: World of Warcraft Legion Launched Sep 1, 2016, 08:53 Mr. Tact

Anyone who says leveling is a grind has a low tolerance for activity. I haven't really been trying and hit 103 already. That's with me still spending time in previous expansion areas because I came back a month ago after being gone for 4.5 years.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2016, 17:14 Mr. Tact

The last paragraph sums it up well...

"In the end, the whole A-10 debate is silly and tiring. The aircraft takes up less than 2 percent of the USAF's yearly budget, and that does not include the tens of billions of dollars the service receives in addition for highly classified “black” programs. The A-10 is paid for, already upgraded, and ridiculously effective in the wars we are fighting today—not to mention it's the most cost-effective tactical jet platform in the entire Air Force. It's clearly a capability worth keeping, as it offers great reward at little cost and should not have to compete with the F-35. Nor should the F-35 have to compete with it. That's an adversarial concept created by the USAF as part of yet another attempt to axe the A-10, nothing more."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 19:22 Mr. Tact

The thing about the A-10 is, it does a perfect job of ground support and tank killing. No other aircraft does the job half as well.

I was told once in the USAF, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is not an acceptable mindset. They want, "If it ain't broke, what can I do to make it better?" While I understand the point they are striving for, it fails to allow for a situation like this were there really isn't a better solution.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 15:32 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 04:18:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 19:32:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 18:25:
How can you get your license and NOT know this?!?
I don't know, but it is clear many people don't know it.

There's a difference between know about something and caring about something. People know they shouldn't cheat on their spouse, but most do it anyway.

Also, self-driving cars can't come soon enough.
True, there is a difference between knowing and caring. However, even now in my "old age" as I have become a less aggressive driver... I have to say these people still annoy the fucking hell out of me.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 11:56 Mr. Tact

RoboNerd wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:49:
Re: Lockheed Could “Fail to Deliver” F-35 Capabilities on Time.

I vote for killing off this turkey and building more A-10s. Salute2
So do most of the other sane people, unfortunately there are not a lot of sane people in the government. And as a 7 year, 3 month, 10 day veteran of the USAF, let me verify the military is NOT good at making excellent procurement decisions.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2016, 19:32 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 18:25:
How can you get your license and NOT know this?!?
I don't know, but it is clear many people don't know it.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 07:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:17:
Sounded like you were still enjoying NMS the other day...
So was Angry Joe.. that's the main problem it seems. The idea is good, the foundation is there, but the depth is not. AJ said something like, "This game has the scope of an entire ocean but the depth of a sidewalk puddle."

4708 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo