Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7165 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2018, 18:39 Mr. Tact

Any tennis aficionados here?

I'm watching the US Open coverage and when they show the brackets they only show one quarter of the full bracket at a time. Which is fine, what I don't understand is seeing as this is the first round, I would think half of the people would have seeds. But they don't. Despite having seen seeds as high as 32, you usually only see 3-5 seeds listed in each quarter-bracket. What is going on here?

Edit: Ahh, it is actually 1/8 of the bracket. 128 contestants, not 64 as I was thinking. So, 3-5 seeds per 1/8 of the bracket assuming 32 seeds is about right. Derp.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Cancels Remaining Madden Qualifiers
21. Re: EA Cancels Remaining Madden Qualifiers Aug 28, 2018, 17:32 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2018, 17:20:
Ten years ago I would have said the same thing about gay marriage or a black president.
Yes, I'll agree prior to 2008 I thought it was highly unlikely I would live to see a black president. However, there was no constitutional block keeping that from happening. Basically, if you can't get 3/4 of the country to agree, there isn't going to be a change to the constitution. Can you honestly say you think 3/4 of the country will want to repeal the 2nd amendment within the next 30 years?

15. Re: EA Cancels Remaining Madden Qualifiers Aug 28, 2018, 17:16 Mr. Tact

necrosis wrote on Aug 28, 2018, 17:12:
Simply because it should not be repealed.
I wouldn't go that far, there is nothing simple about the issue.

13. Re: EA Cancels Remaining Madden Qualifiers Aug 28, 2018, 17:03 Mr. Tact

Bodolza wrote on Aug 28, 2018, 16:59:
If people realize that the 2nd Amendment is already moot, there's a chance it could get repealed.
I'd say there is basically 0% chance of that happening any time soon. Certainly not in my lifetime.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2018, 16:55 Mr. Tact

While I would agree somewhat that the Ds are seemingly not doing a good job of capitalizing on Trump's idiocy, it is tempered by knowing Trump voters simply don't care. There was a poll not long ago where 51% of the GOP polled agreed that the media was an enemy of the state. There was another where a majority of the GOP (don't recall the actual number) agreed it would be a good idea to delay the 2020 presidential election.

There is only one thing the Ds can actually do to end the current situation -- show up in droves in November. If they do, some semblance of sanity might return. If they don't, I might get to see the US tumble into a failed democracy before I die...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2018, 11:38 Mr. Tact

One of the weirdest things I saw out of the 2008 financial crisis was CBS stock. Like everything it dropped significantly, ultimately to under $4 a share. I remember seeing it and thinking, "that's never coming back". Wrong. Don't have the exact number but it went up to about $80 a share. It's back down a bit now, but how in the world CBS recovered is beyond my understanding.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 28, 2018, 11:01 Mr. Tact

Several lines occur to me involving Ivanka and the word "slam" and its' multiple variations -- but I'm just going to take a pass...  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2018, 18:53 Mr. Tact

A, B, C ya'!  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2018, 18:38 Mr. Tact

It never fails to amaze/surprise/annoy me how seemingly prudish most of the US population is. Get over it. *sheesh*  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 27, 2018, 18:24 Mr. Tact

People lost money on cryptocurrencies? I am shocked. SHOCKED!  

News Comments > Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated]
88. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 27, 2018, 18:13 Mr. Tact

I wonder if these "mass shooters" started showing up at NRA events if it would have an effect...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Steve Jobs Comes Across as a Jerk. His Daughter Forgives Him. Should We? Aug 26, 2018, 17:23 Mr. Tact

To answer the question -- no, we shouldn't forgive him. That's for his family and friends. We are the objective observers stating the facts. The man was a dick. He treated people like shit. This is all independent of the fact that he was a user interface genius.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2018, 15:35 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 15:28:
Okay, after a little sorting, I can say that root@bluesnews.com is now the actual best place to send problem reports, just like that official-looking error message says.

Thanks very much for wanting to help.
Cool. I hope I don't have a chance to use it any time soon.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

Being a POW is never a picnic. In my early teens I read "The Passing of the Night" by then Col. later Gen. James Risner. I actually have an autographed copy. Definitely changed the way I viewed military conflicts.  

News Comments > Sunday Patches
2. Re: Sunday Patches Aug 26, 2018, 14:42 Mr. Tact

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2018, 11:47 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 11:46:
There was indeed a mail about this to root shortly after noon, so we may need to see if there is a better address to use in that error message.
Okay, but in general -- what is the best address to inform the BlueNews team there is something amiss?

News Comments > Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW
26. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 26, 2018, 11:29 Mr. Tact

When you take a moment to think about it, WoW is pretty incredible. Coming up on 14 years and it is still doing very well.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 26, 2018, 11:22 Mr. Tact

I don't feel like looking, someone tell us what they are going for on E-bay...  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2018, 09:08 Mr. Tact

Frans wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 04:44:
And yes, the server hung up again all Saturday afternoon and early evening, but cleared out of it by itself. No ESP aided to become aware of that, and nobody emailed either, that's why it lasted so long. So there.
Okay -- next time I'll send an email. I just always figured you guys got many emails when this happens. Is mailing news@bluesnews.com sufficient? Or is there a better address? Send it to blue and perhaps frans@bluesnews.com ?

News Comments > Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW
24. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 25, 2018, 22:40 Mr. Tact

Medvanis wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 18:59:
Played since day 1...but me and most of my guild quit half way through Cata when we learned of the Kung Fu Panda expansion.
That was me too. However, I went back for Legion. Which I did enjoy but I quit again a few months ago. I might try again if I wasn't busy with NMS plus I want to get back to Factorio.

7165 Comments. 359 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo