Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5506 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 17:15 Mr. Tact

Ranger55 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:34:
I work for a Fortune 100 company. Often times, while we have the cash on hand to fund big projects, or even parts of projects, we will still go to lenders to finance the projects.
This is true, corporate finance is not intuitive. A great example I heard once was about General Electric borrowing money to provide the cash required to meet their payroll needs. Sounds crazy, but they have "their money" tied up in things which they believe will have a much higher ROI than the interest rate they'll pay on that small loan. To them, it makes sense to borrow that money.

That said, it is difficult to know if SC has run out of money, or if they are engaging in those types of corporate financial planning. Personally, admittedly without any evidence to back me up, I'd bet they've already burned through all their money. *shrug*

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2017, 13:57 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:05:
Call flooding was priceless.
So, I'm guessing he can mask his caller id to whatever he wants to prevent the number from being blocked. And I assume he is using VOIP, but I'd still like to know a little more on technical side about how the flooder works. If he could make a small executable which others could use to do the same thing, that might be cool...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2017, 13:59 Mr. Tact

RedEye, your response seems confused. You linked a page explaining dimensional lumber, and Cutter was saying the consumers should understand that very thing. Seems to me you are in the "cutterverse"...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2017, 12:07 Mr. Tact

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand if the article is accurate, the "4x4"s have been 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 for years. On the other hand, it seems more than a bit dishonest to have a sign saying "4x4" when they aren't. It reminds me of the hard drive size thing.

Is 300 GB

300 x 1000 = 300,000,000,000 bytes or
300 x 1024 = 307,200,000,000 bytes..

If it is accurate that it is standard in construction business when they need a "4x4" they use 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 -- then I'd probably side with the store...

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Launches
60. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 23, 2017, 17:28 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 15:30:
Considering I spend 40$ on an UBER to go from my place to downtown to get drinks with my friends. I don't even factor most video game costs into why I should buy it or not. I usually end up picking up games I want to play on sale but ultimate might never get around to playing it.. and any game that I want to play right now I just flat out buy..

I mean, we waste more money on things that entertain us far less.
I pretty much agree. If I'll spend $30 or more on a dinner, why not on a game? The question of cost for me is only when I'm not sure I want to play the game or I'm concerned an hour or two in I'll figure out it wasn't worth whatever I paid. Hence my hesitation on No Man's Sky... no one likes "throwing money away".

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Thanks for answering. I agree.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 13:41 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 13:34:
Im trying to say that 20, 100, 500 years from now no one is going to remember who Michael Bay was and what he did for a living. His movies will not stand the test of time.
Okay, I'll buy that. So, the Shakespeare stuff was intended as a counter example? That despite being "incomprehensible" to the uneducated masses it is still well known and regarded?

55. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 23, 2017, 13:03 Mr. Tact

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:24:
Considering "No Man's Sky" for $24. Even with all its' problems it is probably worth that much... but I'm still having trouble pulling the trigger.
I think that's still too much for it.
What's your breaking point on it Spectral? $15?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 13:02 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:31:
The question I always ask myself when I hear a new piece of music, see a new piece of art, watch a new movie or read a book invariably is: How will this stand the test of time?
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 12:07:
You are missing the point. It's not just about style and technique. It's about substance. Take Shakespeare as another example. It's style is almost incomprehensible to audiences today. It is completely antiquated in every way, however it lives on, and is rightfully recognized as some of the best dramatic literature ever written down or performed.
You're right, I'm missing your point. So, Shakespeare is some of the best dramatic literature ever written, but in almost incomprehensible? I suppose if it was preformed in historically accurate linguistics, yes it would be incomprehensible. But as long as modern equivalents are used I don't see that. And what is the connection to Micheal Bay in all of this? Seriously -- I'm not trying to be a jerk. I don't understand what it is you are trying to say...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 11:39 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I don't know about that. We were talking about "Animal House" the other day, which clearly is a culturally significant film, but it hasn't withstood the test of time. The most likely candidate for withstanding time, at least in film, is a period piece -- for instance, "Lawrence of Arabia". It is set in a specific historic time, hence it never loses it's timeliness...  

51. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 23, 2017, 11:24 Mr. Tact

Considering "No Man's Sky" for $24. Even with all its' problems it is probably worth that much... but I'm still having trouble pulling the trigger.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 11:12 Mr. Tact

Okay, I'll bite.. what about it makes you respect him? You love capitalism above all things? I guess maybe that was sarcasm?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 11:06 Mr. Tact

I've been watching "Ray Donovan" lately, just got into season three and I'm liking it so far.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 23, 2017, 02:15 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:28:
Holy crap, I sure hope there's a lot more to this story and it's not just an example of Comcast being blatantly evil.
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it is just Comcast being evil. Unfortunately as messed up as our legal system can be they might get away with it, if Luna doesn't have the resources for his own legal team. Could take years to reach a final decision...

7. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Jun 22, 2017, 13:29 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 13:23:
That's why I never stay in the same place for than 8 seconds.
Haha, I was thinking something similiar, "Hmm, good reason to never stay in the same place in the open for more than 5+ seconds if you are in a war zone."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 21, 2017, 19:47 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 17:11:
Smartest set up I've ever seen was a guy in california when Bitcoin first came out, he set up one of these mining farms at a business lease that provided electricity included in the lease payment.
Indeed, that was smart. I heard about Bitcoin fairly early and spent some time considering converting some spare PCs to mining. But I got distracted / lost interest... too bad. It was early enough that if I had done that and simply held onto even the few coins I would have mined it would have been worth 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars. Que sera sera...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Armstrong Cable Jun 21, 2017, 19:42 Mr. Tact

Wait, a monopolistic company acting like dicks to their customers? I am shocked. SHOCKED!  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2017, 16:30 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 16:23:
It's due to global warming w/a smattering of Creutzfeldt-Jakob.
Ah come on, you are giving BSE a bad name...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2017, 12:15 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Cutter -- your local weather represents the entire global climate, awesome observational skills!  

News Comments > Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rises Next Week
12. Re: Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rises Next Week Jun 21, 2017, 11:41 Mr. Tact

On the one hand, $15 seems a bit cheesy for something that should have been in the game all along. On the other hand, at least they didn't go crazy and put a $40 or $60 price tag on it.

$15 is less than a steak dinner would cost -- So, it seems to me a reasonable question would be: Is playing a Necro in D3 going to be fun for longer than it would take you to eat a steak dinner (or insert you favorite $15 meal)?

Or more basically, do you play D3 and want to play a Necro? If you said yes to playing D3 and yes to wanting to play a Necro, then $15 is probably cheap entertainment.

5506 Comments. 276 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo