Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6217 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 12:16 Mr. Tact

I'd be more impressed by Secret if I thought he'd just done that on his own after watching the kids or something, as opposed to being trained to do it which is almost certainly what happened.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 12:14 Mr. Tact

Yes, eRe4s3r -- I realize it is a safety margin issue. Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit whiny about the extra 10% I thought I should get out of my brake pads, but I still think generally speaking my point holds. Certainly, Apple's planned obsolescence isn't going to cause life and death safety issues. I suspect there are more deserving targets.  

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 11:04 Mr. Tact

I'm just saying, this is nothing new. Companies have been building products to wear out or break sooner than they might purely to induce more future sales for decades. Apple is probably guilty of that, but are they the "worst" offenders? I doubt it.

Not long ago I was at my car dealership for routine maintenance and they informed me my brake pads were down to 25% -- and suggested they be replaced. My reaction was to do the math and realize assuming a consistent wear rate, I'd be back for the next maintenance before the pads were under 15%. So, I said no.

Well, just two months later the "Brake" warning/idiot light was lit on my dash. Why? Because of low brake fluid which apparently was due, at least in part, to the worn brake pad causing "more than normal" movement of the brakes to reach the brake pads. So basically, you can only use 75% of the brake pad without having the car giving you a warning light. Nice.

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
2. Re: EA Gaming Patents Jan 9, 2018, 10:27 Mr. Tact

The patent system is so totally broken...  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 10:26 Mr. Tact

Okay, my first question is -- How many companies have been investigated for "planned obsolescence" previously? If the answer is not in the hundreds if not thousands, than STFU.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 9, 2018, 10:23 Mr. Tact

If they wanted to lower it to 10 Mbit, that wouldn't particularly bother me, 10 Mbit (assuming you can actually get 10 Mbit and it is not some kind of marketing lie) is more than sufficient for probably 95+% of the population. That said, you didn't indicate how low they want to move the mark, and sadly I'm guessing it is even lower than 10 Mbit.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 10:11 Mr. Tact

Damn! Totally spaced and forgot the game was on. Was actually catching up on "60 Minutes" episodes which had built up on the DVR. Sounds like the first half was a little slow, but the second was well worth watching. Ah well....  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 08:22 Mr. Tact

We don't need no stinkin' "like" system! Evil  

News Comments > The Station Next Month
6. Re: The Station Next Month Jan 9, 2018, 00:09 Mr. Tact

Okay I admit, I chuckled at that. Thanks, NKD.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 12:20 Mr. Tact

The parent company of the television station running the story, not of the police...  

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
17. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 09:21 Mr. Tact

I would imagine it will come down to who had the better lawyers when the GLA was drafted...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 8, 2018, 08:21 Mr. Tact

They are Billions has potential, time will tell if they live up to it.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 08:20 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 03:01:
maybe i'm just being a grumpy old codger but i swear the amount of dumbass kids are on the rise. millennials with their gotta-have-it-now look-at-me culture, they're practically raised to be sociopaths.
While I am tempted to agree with you, the odds are the percentage of dumbass kids has been unchanged in the last million years or so. As I have stated on this board multiple times, since at least as long as language has existed, every generation has thought the following generations were going to destroy the world.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 22:16 Mr. Tact

Really? Only 2 of 14 people got 3 of the 4 NFL playoff predictions correct? I was expecting to be sitting behind 3-4 people who got all the games right. I had originally picked KC to lose to Tenn. but changed my mind just before kickoff. The other three picks seemed pretty obvious. Carolina/NO being the only one you could discuss, but I just didn't see Carolina stopping the NO offense.  

News Comments > Fan-Made Overwatch Map Catches Blizzard's Eye
6. Re: Fan-Made Overwatch Map Catches Blizzard's Eye Jan 7, 2018, 21:58 Mr. Tact

It is a little surprising with the success mods have had with World of Warcraft and the success so many other games have had with them, that Blizzard hasn't been more open to them. Tough to give up that control once you've had it I guess.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 19:54 Mr. Tact

Finding out that arcade machine is a scam, causes me absolutely no surprise.  

11. Re: World's Best Jump Roper - Hawaii Style in 8K. Jan 7, 2018, 19:45 Mr. Tact

Wait -- she has been jumping rope since she was 10, 12 years ago but she has won 14 World Championships? I guess there might be doubles too...  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 11:04 Mr. Tact

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 09:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 23:15:
As an Apple stock owner I'd officially like to say, as long as the stock continues to roar upward, I couldn't care less.
People said the same thing about Nortel.
Ah, but I have a bonus situation -- the stock is in a Roth IRA account. So, if it dips I can sell it and not take the tax hit, which is the thing you normally have to worry about it that situation.

3. Re: Apple product delays... Jan 6, 2018, 23:15 Mr. Tact

As an Apple stock owner I'd officially like to say, as long as the stock continues to roar upward, I couldn't care less.  

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2018, 23:11 Mr. Tact

Agreed. No one who paid the smallest amount of attention to it thought that was a secret.  

6217 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo