Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4712 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2016, 08:51 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 14:59:
Maybe someday we'll have automated politicians, like we're building automated cars. I welcome our robot overlords.
We need Minds from the Iain M. Bank's novels!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 16:26 Mr. Tact

Bob Dylan awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

I can't decide how I feel about this. On the one hand writing songs is a talent and he's good at it. On the other, it is difficult to compare it to writing novels or even short stories. I guess I'm "okay" with it, I just find it difficult to believe there wasn't someone more deserving.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 16:08 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 09:13:
BobBob wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 19:03:
If you're a single, self-respecting, female, you should put this map on your refrigerator.

Jesus freakin christ I hope those poll numbers are wrong, there just can't be that many stoopid men.
Pauses
Looks at other forum posts
Looks at the world
Nevermind

I had a similar reaction, initially I thought, "Really?!" Then I thought about it for two minutes and thought, "Oh. Really."

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 13:17 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 11:12:
Tree Removal... damn look at his forearms and biceps..
Was amused by all the negative comments on the video. It never fails to amaze me how stupid people are. The trees were damaged and in danger of falling on a house -- get a grip on reality people.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 21:36 Mr. Tact

Here is a question for all of you.

Assume Clinton wins the Presidency and the GOP keeps control of the Senate. Will a Supreme Court Justice get Senate approval during her administration? Or will the Senate refuse to approve any appointment for the entire four year term?

My guess -- unless she selects a far more conservative judge than she would be expected to, there will be no new court members during her term.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 21:18 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:32:
Clinton says she's against Citizens United, I'll believe it when I see action but that would be a start.
She probably believes that, it is a standard Dem. party stance. However, she can't do anything about it without the help of Congress which will surely not be arriving from the House, which is likely to remain in GOP control.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 18:45 Mr. Tact

jdreyer -- That issue is the core of the election. Which side can get their voters to turn out. However, shouldn't it apply equally? If you are a Trump supporter, and Trump is sure to lose, why show up to vote?

*shrug*

There is some reason to believe the Clinton campaign has a "better ground game" and should win the turn out. But in a country where typically only 45-55% of the registered voters actually vote -- anything is possible.

I'm hoping Nate Silver is as on target this time as he was in 2012 when he was correct on all his predictions, except for a single house seat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 18:39 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 18:12:
Mr. Tact, that's the conventional logic which made people think the Brexit referendum would fail and that Trump would go out early in the primaries. I hope Trump gets landslided but 2016 just doesn't make any goddamn sense.
Yeah, I agree. To anyone who has told me Trump can't win, I've responded with, "That's what they said about the primary." However, I do actually think it is reasonably likely Trump will lose simply because of how the electoral college map is lined up this year. For Trump to win the electoral college he'll basically have to sweep all the swing states, and that just doesn't seem very likely.

My concern is "just" winning really isn't enough. All those people steadfastly behind Trump despite him showing repeatedly he is not suited to be president, will only be encouraged if they "just" lose.

Preferably it would be a landslide for Clinton. But, I just don't see that happening. She is a bad candidate who just happens to be running against a worse candidate. She might be able to swing a electoral landslide, that would be helpful. Of course, getting the Senate would be helpful too. There is a small chance of that, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 17:38 Mr. Tact

Saw a great comment in an article which said concerns Trump might win were nonsense and recalled a Ulysses S. Grant story:

"It reminds me of a story that Ulysses S. Grant tells in his memoirs about a night he spent on the wild prairies of East Texas. He and a fellow officer were near Goliad when they heard “the most unearthly howling of wolves” directly in front of them. They couldn’t see the wolves through the tall prairie grass, but the men knew they were near. The other officer asked Grant how many wolves he thought were in the pack. Grant, not wanting to seem afraid, tried to lowball the number at twenty—knowing well enough, he said later, that it was still enough “to devour our party, horses and all, at a single meal.” Grant thought that maybe they should turn around, but the other officer, having come from a part of Indiana where the wolves hadn’t been completely driven out, smiled and pushed on.

The men arrived to find just two lone wolves sitting on their haunches. These were the sole animals who had made all the noise that had scared Grant so badly, that had convinced him he was overwhelmingly outnumbered. Four decades later, after a full life in public service and politics, Grant would relate that he often thought of this incident when he heard of a group changing course due to criticism or someone giving up because they were deterred by an unseen enemy. The lesson in such situations, he concluded, was this: “There are always more of them before they are counted.”

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 08:46 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 21:58:
Did any of you guys pick Lions yesterday?
Not me, in fact I apparently was sleeping or something when I made my picks, only got 6 correct. That's what I get for complaining about scoring 10 each of the first three weeks. Thankfully we are throwing out the worst week, which leaves me 3 back of the leader. Still have some chance...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 23:46 Mr. Tact

Happy anniversary and thank you for all you do, Blue. I second the idea of another 20 years. Oh and where is that Patreon account?  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 10:10 Mr. Tact

I realize you are not attempting to force me to believe what you believe. But you are attempting to convince people by presenting your supposed evidence.

Superstring theory -- the key word being "theory", an admission it is not proven. A better example is Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We have no idea what they are or how they work. However, we can infer their existence through provable, observable, phenomenon. There is no provable, observable phenomenon of the existence of a God.

I find it absolutely fascinating that so many put faith in their various supreme being beliefs without realizing the beliefs of other religions have just as much merit.

I'm not condemning your belief of God, just the fact you think there is evidence to support it.

29. Re: What’s the Longest Humans Can Live- 115 Years, New Study Says. Oct 8, 2016, 18:02 Mr. Tact

You forgot to mention how the world is flat, Kx. If you want to believe in a supreme being, that's fine -- it's your right. But believing the apocryphal stories of the Bible, that's over the top...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2016, 21:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2016, 03:50:
Also, that NMS vid is pretty hilarious.
Not to mention pretty accurate...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 00:47 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 11:57:
HBO should do a series based on Georgey's Wild Cards. It'd be nice to see a gritty adult show about Aces and Jokers.
If done well, that would be pretty awesome. I have difficulty believing it would be done well.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2016, 09:46 Mr. Tact

Hmmm, 10 correct picks in each of the first three weeks in our pick 'em league. Guess it is time to take some chances...  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2016, 20:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:17:
We're so far away from colonizing Mars. Let's invent an alternative to rocket technology first. Then we can start thinking about colonization.
Unless there is an unexpected technical break-through, this will not happen within the next 20 years.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2016, 16:26 Mr. Tact

Oddly, this morning I watched an episode of "The Outer Limits" from 2000, "Decompression". In the episode Bruce Boxleitner plays a senator running for president. On a plane flight after winning a primary he is visited by "someone from the future". She appears as "projection", basically a 3-d hologram. She tells him she is there to save his life and tells him the plane has been damaged by a lightning strike. She tells him if he dies it creates an environment where "... a weak president does get elected, terrorism escalates, riots break out, the stage is set for a tyrant to emerge...".

LOL.

Tell me it was just a coincidence that episode was shown...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2016, 21:30 Mr. Tact

No danger of needing the heat here in central Illinois any time soon. The 10 day forecast has overnight lows in the mid 50s, still making the high 70s during the day.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
73. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 24, 2016, 19:05 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 12:39:
It's just bizarre that they keep pulling in $2M/month.
Just shows how much hunger there is out there for another good space MMO. ED was pretty good, I put hundreds of hours into it. If this was anywhere near what has been promised I'd probably spend thousands of hours on it. Unfortunately, I have absolutely zero expectation it will actually happen.

4712 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo