Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4950 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
40. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2017, 10:26 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 02:38:
The main problem is the whistleblowing is either broken or nonexistent. That problem needs to be fixed to prevent these problems.
Yeah, the problem with trying to fix whistleblowing is it is simply against human nature. All the illegal activity Snowden saw, came through every layer of management to him, the guy at the bottom of the totem pole. So, when Snowden (the guy at the bottom of the totem pole) says to his boss, "This is wrong." His boss knows he and everyone above him has already signed off on it -- he doesn't have any interest in what Snowden (or someone like him) is saying. It is against his self interest to act on it. I don't see how this can be fixed.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 11:31 Mr. Tact

*sigh* I'm not even that much of a dog person but just the comments about the video make me cringe. I think I'll take a pass on watching the video. You'd have thought our movie industry was past this, so disappointing...  

56. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 22:34 Mr. Tact

I certainly understand the concern, and it is a valid concern. Well, as valid as it can be in this theoretical situation.

I give you Abraham Lincoln:

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Well, unless you are very pessimistic, you'd have to think there are a lot more people interested in a nice quiet peace instead of war. Hence, they could prevent someone from starting WW3... If you want to be optimistic, you might think anyone wanting to start a war wouldn't have the mindset required to understand the alien's language -- and hence it wouldn't be a problem.

I was left with the idea that it wasn't easy to do. "Ian" is unhappy with her decision -- ie.. presumably to have the child even knowing the outcome. This would seem to indicate he was unable to "stop" this decision, that he hadn't learned the language.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 08:05 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:50:
TL;DR, or some weird aliens from "Arrival" come and teach us a way to perceive time non-linear, but if you have seen that, I just want to mention that the reality of that time perception is fucking depressing as shown in the movie. If you watched it, you will understand why that is maybe even worse fate than a hive mind.
Uh.. were you paying attention? It allowed Amy Adams to change things in her "past". I have to assume you would consider it might be useful to go back and change something you've done with the advantage of seeing the results of your decision.

The only depressing thing about it was the death of her daughter which she could only avoid by not having her. And clearly she feels the joy of having her outweighs the sadness of her death.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 18:25 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 17:28:
It wasn't quite as bad as Halloween 6 explaining how the druids were responsible for Michael Meyers, but it's up there for backstories I never needed explained.
LOL. Only ever saw the original and never heard that before. It sounds hilarious...

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 16:17 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 15:49:
We can start with today's NYT, which has an article about how Republican Men are the only people in the country who think it's a better time to be a woman than a man.
They could get surgery and hormone treatments to arrange that... I'm guessing exactly zero of them are interested.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 17, 2017, 13:24 Mr. Tact

I have to admit... I will not miss Vine in the least.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 12:58 Mr. Tact

Sliders! Man, haven't thought about that show in a while. Only $28 for the complete series on DVD from Amazon. Going to have to consider getting that...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 12:04 Mr. Tact

Not to diminish Steve's problems.. but where is the Patreon site for Blue's News?  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 12:03 Mr. Tact

One good super flu could fix things for us... I mean if 50% of the population was wiped out there would be plenty of resources for everyone. Yes, I am kidding. Sort of...  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2017, 10:05 Mr. Tact

Hmm, might have to give Vivaldi a try...  

20. Re: WWIII Jan 16, 2017, 18:19 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 16:47:
And it all stems back to Reagan's tax cuts. Middle class grew when the upper class was heavily taxed, has shrunk back to where it was in the 30s when those taxes were drastically reduced.

I keep beating that horse, yet some people still refuse to admit there's a very direct correlation between how much those at the top are allowed to keep and how much everyone else takes home.
I'd love to know if this is really true. Unfortunately, economics being the voodoo occupation it is -- there are Nobel Prize winning economists who will argue opposite sides of this issue. Or any other economic issue as far as that goes. And since there is no way to empirically prove anything but the most basic economic theory, we'll never know. Hell, they can't even agree if the New Deal helped to end or extended the Depression -- and that was over 80 years ago.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 12:33 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:27:
The expression is "hang the rich" or "eat the rich". And why not? They're the social Darwinist psychopaths selling the rope to hang themselves with. It's a very real thing now. Most major economic conferences and groups are discussing it all the time now. They know the natives are getting restless and things can't keep going on like they are. The problem with being a self-serving psychopath however is that, while they understand it and can see it, they can't help themselves. I think were really starting to ramp up for WWIII at this point as politics are only going to keep getting more extreme. And when that happens, sooner or later bullets start flying everywhere.
Won't happen in our lifetimes, if ever -- "hanging the rich", that is. WWIII... much harder to say. I'd have to agree with those who have said the next global war will be over fresh water...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 12:10 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:02:
$1000 dollar backpack just paid for itself.
Is that all they cost? Hell of a deal!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 12:00 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 10:31:
Cowboys probably should have won too, but took way too long to get it going in their own house.
I was concerned about their defense... and it wasn't quite good enough. Alas... congrats to all the winners!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2017, 20:48 Mr. Tact

subx wrote on Jan 15, 2017, 20:32:
And they really need to put a stop to that icing the kicker nonsense, it's pathetic.
It seems to screw the team which does it as often as it helps them. This time it didn't matter. I'd love to see stats on it.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2017, 20:21 Mr. Tact

Just imagine all the talk there would be over Aaron Rodgers if it weren't for Tom Brady. Great game, great comeback by Dallas -- just wasn't quite enough. Considering the team was running on two rookies basically, they did pretty well. If they can avoid injuries they should be just as good next year, and will have some playoff experience.

Here's to hoping the GB/ATL game is as good.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2017, 12:07 Mr. Tact

Well, I was speaking of Jupiter on the asteroid protection. But yes, you are correct -- the influence the Moon plays in the regulation of our tilt, rotation, and oceans tides were key factors in the development of life on this planet. Without the Moon, the chance we'd be here at all, are greatly reduced.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2017, 11:45 Mr. Tact

There are lots of things about the Earth which make it seemingly "special". Unless you are scientifically inclined you likely don't know how critical the Moon is to our evolution. First, it stabilized our rotation and tilt. Second, the larger tides it creates in our oceans were critical to development of many evolutionary steps. Jupiter practically acts as a comet/asteroid deflection device. Obviously it doesn't get them all, but it gets a lot of them.

The math is such that you pretty much have to assume there is other intelligent life out there. However, there are so many seemingly "lucky" things about the way our planet was created it makes you seriously wonder if the frequency of intelligent life might be far less than we'd hope/like/think it is.

4950 Comments. 248 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo