Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5364 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:51 Mr. Tact

Yes, I realized it was staged, a recorded audio, and no actual harm. That wasn't my question. It is the job of actors to "seem real". I was wondering if the text indicated, "Actors, not actual pedestrians" or something to that affect.

I do have to say if I was crossing the intersection against the light when I had checked and there was no traffic I wouldn't be happy if the audio startled me...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:00 Mr. Tact

So, anyone know French well enough to tell us if those were actors or actual innocent French citizens getting the shit scared out of them?  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 26, 2017, 22:40 Mr. Tact

I can tell Google right now how well their ads work on me, the answer is "They don't." The reason they don't work, is because I'm not an idiot, therefore I am using an ad blocker and I never see their ads.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2017, 15:57 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 26, 2017, 15:49:
Summer hasn't started, summer is already here. 106F with the heat index today. 107 or 108 tomorrow.
Woof! Southwest I assume? Midwest is definitely warming up, breaking 80 today but dipping back down after today.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 26, 2017, 15:20 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2017, 11:12:
Try paying taxes you fucking hypocrite.
Did I miss a tax issue for Zuckerberg? As far as I know he paid 100s of millions of taxes when he exercised his Facebook stock options.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2017, 12:20 Mr. Tact

I can't explain in words how much it hurts me to have to pay Comcast for my Internet connectivity. If the dawdling local fiber build out ever completes, I have to think Comcast will become persona non grata in town...  

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2017, 12:15 Mr. Tact

I highly doubt "Alien: Covenant" is worth the price of admission to see it in the theater. It seems to clearly be a "wait until it hits the movie channels" film. I'm not sure if even people I generally trust on movie reviews could sway my opinion about this, which is actually a bit disappointing because I like Fassbender.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2017, 12:06 Mr. Tact

On the "Demolition oops" I suspect even though it was unintentional, the crew did the owners a favor. That came down so easily there must have been a serious deficiency of some kind and a similar failure was probably bound to happen sooner or later...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2017, 12:01 Mr. Tact

The entire microbial system employed by us (and other living creatures) is both fascinating and more than a little distrubing/creepy/something. When I have read about it I find it interesting but also end up feeling a bit unclean.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 23, 2017, 16:28 Mr. Tact

Hilarious -- the Senators criticize the treatment of the reporters but not the gutting of the regulations which protect every citizen. Nice distraction tactics...  

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 15:47 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on May 23, 2017, 15:28:
... or pretending the extremists are mentally ill.
While I generally agree with most of what you said it is kind of hard to think anyone wishing to kill innocent civilians in the name of jihad as sane.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 13:20 Mr. Tact

The thing that drives me crazy is the media gives the attackers exactly what they want. Non-stop coverage. Give me a concise report and then move on, after a couple of hours you can repeat your concise report. You are not helping anyone with literally hours of coverage. You are, if fact, making things worse.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
47. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 23, 2017, 09:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2017, 04:27:
I wouldn't include you in that. Good on you for retiring early, but you probably don't have millions in assets, nor make half a mil per year or more in income, nor live your life on a small fraction of your income.
You're right, I don't have millions. My net worth is under $1 million. I live simply, some would say boringly, but it is good enough for me. Anyway...

As for your suggestions:
jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2017, 04:27:
Remedies (no particular order) to flatten the income scale:
- Higher national minimum wage and strictly mandated overtime rates
- Bring back the high tax brackets, and increase capital gains tax.
- Undo all the anti-union laws passed over several decades
- Get rid of the $100K limit for SS payroll taxes
- Education reform (incredibly complex and difficult task) including public preschool from age 3.
- Make all elections publicly funded, weakening the influence of the wealthy and corporations.
Higher minimum wage and mandated overtime are fine.

Higher individual, corporate taxes aren't needed. What is needed is to change the rules which allow the wealthy and corporations to avoid taxation on such a large portion of their income. However remember in some sense, corporations don't pay their taxes, consumers do. Raising the amounts corporations pay simply means they'll raise their prices. As for capital gains... I might support it, but I'd need some convincing. My current position is it does help our brand of capitalism work.

Yeah, unions get a bad rap. Although they brought some of it on themselves through bad decisions/actions -- people forget (or simply don't know) they have unions to thank for the 40 hour work week and lots of other things they take for granted.

Totally agree on raising if not eliminating the cap on SS payroll taxes.

Education reform is needed but it isn't anything that will happen easily no matter how much money you throw at it. Hell, we still have states trying to force bible studies into public schools.

Publicly funded elections would be nice. Unfortunately, we are going the other way with Citizens vs United.

Thanks for expanding your answer.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
18. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 22, 2017, 23:23 Mr. Tact

Late to the topic, but there is basically one critical sentence in the article:

"... it now appears, the leading contributor to the virally spreading infection were Windows 7 machines that hadn't installed a critical security patch Microsoft issued in March."

So basically if you got it, it was your own damn fault. It would be interesting to know if corporations which were hit by it had turned down internal IT attempts to do updates...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
43. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2017, 13:56 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2017, 13:28:
It's also individuals, and wealthy people are to blame, since they hoard. Right now we have the worst income since before the great depression. Strong economies depend on a fairly flat income distribution: when people in the lower and middle classes have money, they tend to spend it on both necessities and things to improve their lives. Rich people don't need to improve their lives, and their necessity costs are negligible to their income, so they save or "invest."
Okay, I'd be near the front of the line to complain about the GOP seemingly being out to help the 1%. But I'm not sure what you are attempting to say here, could you clarify?

First, where are you drawing the line for being wealthy? I certainly wouldn't consider myself wealthy. But, since I'm single and managed to get good paying jobs in IT, I was able to save enough money to retire at a reasonably "young" age, 54. I'm guessing there are plenty of people who would consider that wealthy (possibly legitimately).

Second, wherever you are drawing that line for being wealthy, what do you expect people above that line to be doing that you don't think they are doing now? Are you just asking for them to be more philanthropic?

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 23:57 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on May 21, 2017, 19:06:
i gotta say i'm not thrilled about the trailers. too shooty-shooty-bang-bang for me. bladerunner was never about action. one of its chief criticisms when it came out was that it was too slow in fact. bladecrawler some called it. i hope he didn't adjust it for the ADD millennial crowd, but the trailers sure look like it.
Perhaps it is my faulty aging brain, but I seem remember there being plenty of action in the original. I mean Harrison does hunt down and kill the replicants. I mean is it a non-stop shooter? No. But overall...never heard the term "bladecrawler" before, and it seems to me anyone using it should seek a doctor for a possible ADHD diagnosis... Winkrazz

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 21:51 Mr. Tact

Am I the only one who gets annoyed that Science Fiction and Fantasy get lumped together so often? Granted, sometimes there isn't much difference.. Despite having read and enjoyed plenty of Fantasy novels, I just prefer Science Fiction and I find it disappointing they have to compete for the awards.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 18:50 Mr. Tact

Your anecdote reminds me of something similar I could relay.. my freshman year of college, there was a food truck which showed up outside the university residence in the early evening. Generally the only thing I purchased from them was prepackaged goods, chips and such. However, one evening I had gotten distracted and missed dinner at the dining hall. So, I bought a sub sandwich from them.. don't really recall what type it was but I remember I thought it was very good. So after that about once a week or so I would get a sub from them. I suspect their health standards surpassed a garden variety gas station, but I could be mistaken...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 15:29 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2017, 14:30:
VaranDragon wrote on May 20, 2017, 11:37:
Im going to make an educated guess and say that it's not an alien megalithic structure that's causing the dip in the star's brightness.
Occam's razor says it's aliens. Obviously.
I wish it would turn out to be aliens, because it would be so damn cool/interesting/terrifying. The "broken up planet" idea I heard recently didn't seem like too far of a stretch...

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 12:16 Mr. Tact

Party pooper! But, yeah... not likely.  

5364 Comments. 269 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo