Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5735 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: RIP Walter Becker Sep 3, 2017, 23:51 Mr. Tact

I'd certainly say Steely Dan's sound is fairly unique and consequently is not universally liked. I personally like it, there were days at work when I had their Greatest Hits CD playing in the background literally all day.

RIP Walter.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
67. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Sep 2, 2017, 01:48 Mr. Tact

*smile*

I try to have an open mind about things as often as I can. I do an okay job at it.... it helps if you're someone who has the ability to pretty much ignore all insults.

I've pretty much always been a strong believer in the "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" school of thought.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 12:25 Mr. Tact

It annoys me that I know who Alex Jones is.  

64. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Sep 1, 2017, 00:32 Mr. Tact

I'll bite. What does Valve "owe" their customers as far as HL3 is concerned?  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 09:11 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 04:21:
I was being serious. Do you not see this?
I ashamedly admit I didn't. In the new setup there was a link to "Account" and it didn't occur to me I'd get anything different from clicking on the account icon on the opposite side of the screen. Bad assumption on my part.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 00:25 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 17:49:
No, his description is accurate, assuming you're not signed in. If you are, then it's at the bottom of the dropdown when you click on your account icon.
Thank you.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 17:43 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 16:35:
Click the button with the three vertical dots next to the sign in button and select "Restore old YouTube" from the menu.
I suspect you were not being serious, in the off chance you were -- I see no such option.

Change sucks.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 14:21 Mr. Tact

Acleacius wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 13:46:
What's with the new youtube, it's just a white page with video. There's no posts at the bottom nor a list of relevant videos on the right. Are we required to log in to turn it off? I never do, hate being tracked.
It definitely sucks. This is at least the second time they've released it, but they reverted back after the previous time. It also kills my "Better YouTube Watched History" extension.

60. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 30, 2017, 08:38 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 00:18:
No, it's the *chance* that you'll have a bad day. If everyone was a slave to this baser impulse, no one would ever leave the house.
Ahh, but this is my exact point. Valve knows without a doubt, if they make HL3 they will be criticized endlessly, period. The only way this wouldn't happen is if they managed to produce a game which somehow transformed the landscaping of gaming -- something like the impact the original Doom had -- which isn't very likely.

So, their choice is to knowingly walk into a shit storm, or stay in the house. Their choice is perfectly reasonable.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 08:28 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 00:45:
Except for the fact that I think GenX goes until 78?

(looks like some sources bring that all the way to 84)
Yeah, this is one of the problems with drawing generational group lines. There really isn't a line obviously, it is more of a gradual fade from one color to another. I fall into one of these changing color areas. Born in 62, I'm either a late Boomer or an early Gen Xer. And truthfully, I think I do identify with each group on different issues.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably say I'm more Gen X than Boomer.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 18:49 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:32:
Fox News pulled off the air in Britain
What took them so long?
LOL, "Fox News failed to attract an audience... A few thousand viewers per day."

Why is it that Brits are so much smarter than we are?
Actually, they seemingly have similar problems to the US, which is to say a growing "nationalism" movement. Which is what led to Brexit passing. Only time will tell for sure how good or bad Brexit will be for the UK, but the bets are heavily on the side of bad.

57. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 29, 2017, 15:13 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:17:
Dude, that's the very same dilemma every human faces when walking out their front door every day. Some people will just shit on them, it's called the human condition.
Lulz. I don't know what your situation is, but I don't walk out my door everyday knowing hell will rain down on me.

There's no doubt Valve has lost its creative edge, and I'd agree it is unlikely they'll ever get it back. *shrug* They had a good run.

55. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 29, 2017, 07:24 Mr. Tact

I don't know -- it just struck me as completely unfair to imply they are cowards. HL3 is a no win situation for them as far as I can tell. Yeah, it would probably make money, but no matter what they do, hell will rain down on them.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 00:56 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 19:57:
Chilling before and after slider photos
From what I saw in this evening's coverage of the event, it would seem more than 30,000 are going to be without homes when it is all said and done.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 00:30 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 23:38:
Flying is still 100 times safer than driving, regardless.
Well, that's definitely true.

You're making a reasonable argument. And you're certainly correct in calling out the thousands of flights a day which are completed without incident. You may be right. I would say excessive danger calls for excessive caution. It would be difficult for a truck driver to cause even 100 deaths in a road accident.

It will be interesting to hear/read the NTSB report.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 16:16 Mr. Tact

Caught some news last night on the situation in Texas with Harvey -- there were places which had already recorded 30" of rain. And were still expecting another 12" or more... It is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around that... 2.5 ft of rain in 3 days. Here in central Illinois the terrain is so flat it's hard for us to have major flooding. Yeah, some fields will flood, and there would be standing water all over the place, but in would be inches deep, not feet deep. It just doesn't have anything to build up against. The larger impact would be downstream...  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 14:28 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 13:15:
It is easier than you'd think to make that mistake when there are parallel runways, sometimes with taxiways and other access roads running along side, and 400+ lights pretty close together.
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 03:26:
This is normal operation for tens of thousands of flights a day in the US alone. Really, requiring ILS/instrument approaches all the time at night, regardless of weather, is going to be seen as an overreaction by 99% of pilots and controllers. It's always one guy that ruins it for the rest of us.
Okay, so which is it? Easy to make the mistake? Or something 99% of pilots can do it easily?

Even if it is normal to do a visual landing, checking the ILS somewhere in process seems like a pretty simple and sensible step. And the fact it isn't a standard thing to do seems like a large oversight to me.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2017, 14:46 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 13:15:
Oh, it was definitely the flight crew's fault, I don't dispute this. But they were not on ILS, they were doing a visual approach only.
I'll grant you doing a visual only landing at a major airport at night is not easy and something most any Joe Smoe couldn't accomplish -- that's not the issue.

Again, was the ILS non-functional? Assuming you are correct and they were doing a visual approach only -- what was the reason for this?

Glad to hear SFO now requires ILS at night. Hard to believe it isn't already required at any airport which has ILS.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2017, 11:41 Mr. Tact

That is funny, RedEye.

The problem being it almost sounds real..

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2017, 10:28 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 05:22:
When the ATC says "Looks like you were lined up for Charlie there" then tells him where to go, and the pilot responds "Heading 280, 3000, Air Canada 759," you can hear the "Holy shit, I just escaped death" tone in his voice.
Personally, I don't hear it in his voice but I have little doubt that's what he was feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if he needs some clean underwear. However, I do want to commend him on keeping his cool despite what happened. He might be panicked in his head, but he is keeping it under control which is exactly what you would hope he could do.

5735 Comments. 287 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo