Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4701 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2016, 20:53 Mr. Tact

Weird... was watching the MNF pregame and because the Bears are playing they were talking about George Halas. And they mentioned the Eastland Disaster which I had never heard of before, despite having lived in Illinois for 35 of the last 42 years (was elsewhere during 7 years in the USAF) and having many family members who have lived their entire lives in Chicago. Not sure how this isn't part of well known Illinois lore.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2016, 08:49 Mr. Tact

Ahh, well that would explain it. Here in the US we have "horror houses" that pop during the season with the whole idea being you walk though the establishment to get scared. It is just part of the occasion...  

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
42. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Oct 30, 2016, 20:53 Mr. Tact

Congratulations! All of you have sufficiently reminded me why I want to avoid Win 10 if at all possible. So, new HDs, memory, and/or a video card to resolve my current PC issues.

Win 7 Forever! (or at least until MS creates another semi-reasonable OS)

34. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 20:49 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:14:
But also I have no idea why some people think scaring other people is "fun" ... especially with real weapons, where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.
Okay, with real weapons is crazy and dangerous. But just scaring people? That's part of the tradition, isn't it? Whatever. I don't really care, just thought your comment was a bit odd.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 00:08 Mr. Tact

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 09:21:
I had a problem where my head stayed on the chopping block looking up at the tower while the events transpired around me. Just sitting there waiting for death I suppose.
Sounds like a description of the last ten years of my employment...

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 10:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 03:35:
3. You need more land. An acre of land will produce 2 grams of beef per M2, but 40 grams of soybeans.

Grams of protein that is -- not beef or soybeans.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 10:13 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:06:
JayDeath wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 18:04:
How can one live without their liver? Am I missing something?
When a patient receives a liver transplant, his or her entire liver is removed. It is then replaced by a portion of the donor's healthy liver.
Correct, one "lobe" is removed -- somewhere between 50 and 70 percent of liver. The amazing thing is it only takes 4-6 weeks for the liver to grow back to its original size and slightly longer for full functioning to return.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 14:42 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 14:11:
nin wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 13:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 13:35:
On the poker hand, having watched all the WSOP Main Event coverage I think I can fairly say that Kassouf deserved that venom and probably more. I highly doubt anyone who played at his table for any length of time would disagree.

They claimed it was within the rules (barely) but he seems like a total asshole. But he was trying to rattle the other guy, and eventually did.

That's why I don't like a lot of sports, it's not enough to win, it's that they have to be dicks in the process.

Win through any means necessary; same reason so many pro-athletes use banned performance enhancing substances. I gotta say I cringed when he told him to check his privilege though. I would have rather seen him take him to task for thinking being obnoxious is a skill, and the only reason he's considered "good" at it is because the other players have a level of decorum and self respect.

Well, I will give this caveat -- obviously the televised coverage is only a fraction of the actual poker which happens. So, it is possible the coverage was selected (intentionally or unintentionally) in such a way to give the impression Kassouf was being a dick most of the time. It is possible he wasn't quite as bad as it seemed on television. But frankly, I doubt it. What Daniel Negreanu does is "speech play", what Kassouf was doing went beyond "speech play" and well into being an annoying dick.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 13:35 Mr. Tact

On the poker hand, having watched all the WSOP Main Event coverage I think I can fairly say that Kassouf deserved that venom and probably more. I highly doubt anyone who played at his table for any length of time would disagree.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 11:11 Mr. Tact

Life sucks and in the end, you die.  

News Comments > Uwe Boll Ending Film Career
33. Re: Uwe Boll Ending Film Career Oct 27, 2016, 08:37 Mr. Tact

I know I had seen the name before, but couldn't recall anything about him. Checked IMDB, never even considered seeing any of his movies.

My thoughts: Stop whining. If you had enough money to fund the making of multiple films, it means you made 100s times more money than 99.5% of the people who ever saw any of your films dreamed of making.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2016, 14:27 Mr. Tact

I'm surprised I've never made that particular mistake. I've come close, spilling a few drops from a soda can I "dropped" several inches before catching it. Generally, but not always, I turn away from the PC before reaching for a beverage in order to reduce the risk of this issue. I definitely leave the containers well away from the keyboard, I always have to reach arms length to get it.

I recently noticed my F11 and F12 keys aren't working... I suspect if I cracked open the keyboard and shook out the dust and bits it might clear up. I have spares sitting in the box in case things go sideways...

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2016, 20:31 Mr. Tact

Steazy wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 18:24:
$825 for 4 hours, up to $1600 a session for atmospheric voices. Who was it who told me VA's didn't make $200 an hour? They were right, they can make up to $400 an hour *base*. Sounds pretty tough.
They get those kinds of rates because they may only get 4 hours of work on a project. And remember no benefits. So, a good portion of any income they are spending on things those programmers and devs are getting either along with their jobs, or at least at discounted rates. If they were rolling in dough do you think they'd bother saying something? I know I wouldn't.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2016, 17:40 Mr. Tact

The fact someone else is getting screwed by their employer whether or not they are MY employer -- is not a reason for me to avoid seeking better compensation. As I said, I feel residuals is an overreach but overall I have no issue with the VAs attempting to get better pay.  

11. Re: R.I.P.: Science fiction great Sheri Tepper. Oct 25, 2016, 15:45 Mr. Tact

Hmmm.. didn't recognize the name and after looking through her wiki entry I don't recognize any of the titles of her novels. If anyone ever mentioned her or her novels to me, I do not recall it. I've read a lot of sci-fi which makes me wonder how I totally missed her...  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2016, 15:14 Mr. Tact

Those programmers may indirectly be rewarded for the performance of the game. If it does really well, there could be bonuses given out, perhaps more significant raises, or if the company has an ESPP they could benefit from a rising stock price. So, while I think residuals might be an overreach, their contribution is not insignificant and without being direct employees their chance for additional gain due to excellent performance of the product is non-existent compared the programmers possible additional gains.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2016, 15:05 Mr. Tact

Ha! Did you hear this one yet? The last time the Cubs won the WS, sliced bread had not been invented. So, for Cubs fans if they win, it will be the best thing since sliced bread!  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2016, 22:34 Mr. Tact

I wish I had the ability to turn my brain off -- apparently it leads to making tons of money on Youtube and various social media...  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 18:15 Mr. Tact

El Pit wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 17:47:
Okay, hiphop usually leaves me cold, but this track by Zack de la Rocha (former singer of Rage Against The Machine) should be part of a night drive soundtrack for GTA V. This is DOPE!

https://soundcloud.com/zackdelarocha/digging-for-windows

*meh* it was okay -- but there are several tracks off Ice-T's Original Gangster that are far better. That's right, I was doing hiphop in the early 90s!

17. Re: Off-topic Oct 24, 2016, 17:25 Mr. Tact

On a whim and a little bit of boredom I went and saw "The Accountant" today. I was expecting an OCD Jason Bourne accountant, was pleasantly surprised to see them roll in some story and a nice little twist -- not a bad film at all.  

4701 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo