Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4536 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2016, 12:58 Mr. Tact

Haha! Amusing indeed. However, it did leave out one possibility though, Johnson triggers Brexit and five years from now everyone looks upon it much the same way we do the Y2K uproar. Possible? Sure. Likely? I have no idea.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2016, 08:09 Mr. Tact

Read a couple of other articles. Sounds like while Scotland blocking Brexit might technically be possible, it would probably be considered bad form. Something along the lines of say, if the Scots had voted to leave the UK and the British parliament vetoed them leaving.

But then again, sometimes people/companies/countries do things that are bad form despite knowing it they are doing it - could be very interesting.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2016, 08:00 Mr. Tact

An interesting development:

Can Scotland stop Brexit?

8. Re: FBI gets an unexpected lesson in interrogation from a former Nazi. Jun 25, 2016, 18:42 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:29:
Fascinating story that German interrogator.
A seemingly well known lesson which US intelligence services refuse to learn.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2016, 10:29 Mr. Tact

I suspect it is totally dependent on your personality.

As I mentioned before, I have a sister who is a bit of a health nut. She also has more medical problems than most people -- including acid reflux. She has on more than one occasion questioned her doctor saying effectively, "should we consider xyz." Only to have the doctor say, "Hmm, could be. We can test for it." and turn out to be right.

On the other hand, I can believe many people would worry themselves into more serious issues than they had to begin with. Or worse, convince themselves they have some ailment and do some kind of self treatment which at best, delays proper treatment.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2016, 00:01 Mr. Tact

Saw some polling stats on Brexit indicating all age groups under 65 were voting to remain, but the 65+ age group was voting to leave. Which if accurate would mean if things go badly, the people who will be most responsible for the departure, will not be around for the consequences. Nice.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 18:47 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 18:03:
Almost as hard as imagining the UK would vote Leave...
Exactly.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 16:45 Mr. Tact

"The Troubles" possibly the most understated name for a conflict ever...

I've heard some of the talking heads say it could be the end of the EU. That Spain and Italy were kind of thinking about it already, and now that Britain got it started...

"May you live in interesting times."

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 16:11 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 13:43:
I also think it'll be the end of the United Kingdom. There's no way Scotland stays in the UK now, and similar noises are already coming out of Ireland.
Yeah, that will be unfortunate. Oh well, Britain... "You asked for it, you got it!"

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 11:56 Mr. Tact

Few weeks ago I had a bit of elbow pain -- but it wasn't severe enough to wake me during sleep. I assumed I'd been gaming a bit too much since my retirement. I just tried to take it easy and it seems to have gone away. Fixed!  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 10:29 Mr. Tact

It will be interesting to watch that mess -- especially the financial sector. London was pretty much the banking center of the EU, all those banks are going to have to move their operations. At least, that's what they were saying prior to the vote...  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 20:17 Mr. Tact

There is some validity to that thinking, the problem is the participation issue. When only 50% (at best) of the electorate is voting... this is why the "turnout the vote" campaigns are often effective.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 17:56 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 15:56:
No. In countries where we don't have proportional representation - America, Canada, England, India, the only 4 countries left in the world that don't and it says a lot - means up to and even beyond half of the population aren't represented and get a say in policy at all. It's the reason we have referendums on major issues like this. They far too important to be left to a handful of politicians and their supporters.
Last I checked the US House of Representatives was divided up proportional to population. It isn't what you meant, but saying half the population isn't represented is about right, because only about half the eligible voters actually ever vote. And when you say the only countries left in the world without proportional representation ... you mean western democracies or something? Because otherwise the statement is insane on its face.

Beyond all that -- even if you were correct right about all that... thinking you are going to get a better decision out of the electorate is lunacy. As I said, all your going to get is the decision pushed by popular talk radio hosts and major media outlets.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 12:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:12:
At least the Brits get a vote. Something we never got with NAFTA and aren't getting with the TPIP.
Would you really want the general public voting on matters like NAFTA and TPIP? Even if it was practical, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the ignorant public voting on these things.

Well how very anti-democratic of you. We didn't get a say and look at the result.
The voters got their say, by voting for the people in office. This isn't a direct democracy. It couldn't be even if we wanted it to be. It has always been an indirect democracy.

Like so many other issues, trade agreements like NAFTA and TPIP have so many pros and cons it is difficult to know if it really is good or bad for the US economy. Hell, arguing economics is like arguing psychology -- you never really know. Economists still can't agree on if the New Deal was good or bad for the Depression.

Whatever the case -- the solution isn't to allow a population which mostly doesn't care, and mostly wouldn't have any knowledge of the pros and cons, to decide. If you do that, you're just passing the power to talk show hosts...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 11:44 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:12:
At least the Brits get a vote. Something we never got with NAFTA and aren't getting with the TPIP.
Would you really want the general public voting on matters like NAFTA and TPIP? Even if it was practical, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the ignorant public voting on these things.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2016, 11:00 Mr. Tact

Best comment I've heard about Brexit was someone saying (paraphrased): "A lot of the people I've talked to in favor of leaving sound a lot like Trump supporters." I'm sure that caused some laughs and clenched fists.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 18:19 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 18:13:
What is there to not like?
A lack of ability to make the engine run as I want it to. As far as I am concerned, the entire purpose of a manual transmission vs an automatic is that control. I hate it when machines think they are smarter than me.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 16:09 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:26:
And as it applies to the brain you're not adding any new neural pathways anymore. That's it. That's all.
The business is a scam. But I think it is possible for new neural pathways to be created after 25. I'm pretty sure this has been seen sometimes in people with brain injuries who lose some sort of functionality due to the injury but recovery as the brain relearns the tasks...

4. Re: Billion-dollar brain training industry a sham Jun 21, 2016, 12:33 Mr. Tact

I am shocked. SHOCKED!  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 11:07 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 01:07:
with flappy paddles you can downshift. i think about the only thing you can't do vs clutch is rev it in neutral and then drop the clutch and goooooooooo.
That might work, however the CVTs seem to be taking over in automatics too -- so how long before that goes away...

4536 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo