Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6669 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2018, 21:40 Mr. Tact

Oh, additionally FWIW (possibly not much) -- I have an acquaintance who owns/runs a medium to large privately owned ISP in the Chicago area. And his personal spin on this topic is the "lack of IPv4 addresses" is unlikely to ever be an issue. There are so many chunks that people are squatting on, and so many devices being assigned real IPv4 that don't need them.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
30. Re: Stockholm Apr 20, 2018, 21:27 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 18:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 17:00:
It was a while before I had anything but HL3 on Steam.
I'll bite. Is the game any good and how do I go about getting my key because I already bought the Silver Half Life bundle.
Haha. Wow, I can't believe I typed that. I would say it was a Freudian slip, but I can't see how it could be. In reality I simply skimmed over his post and thought/assumed he said "Half-life" and derped away... how I managed to type HL3 when I was thinking "Half-life" I have no idea. Can't even claim to have been drunk, been a couple of months now since I've had any alcohol.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2018, 21:41.

22. Re: Stockholm Apr 20, 2018, 17:00 Mr. Tact

Jagacademy wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 16:32:
I remember how livid I was when I bought Half-Life 2 on release day, came home, and found out I had to install some brand new random 3rd party program in order to install it. (Steam)

In all the years hence, I've come to like Steam.

Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome.
I have to agree, that was pretty much my experience too. It was a while before I had anything but HL3 on Steam. However, I eventually came to see the advantage of having games I purchased being available for download whenever I wanted. In those days I was replacing my PC every two years.

These days you see a lot of people bitching about Steam being DRM, but I think that view is exaggerated. *shrug* Whatever. I'm happy with it and my complaints about it are minor ones.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2018, 15:30 Mr. Tact

ViRGE wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 15:06:
You can switch now or you can switch later. But if you switch later it's going to hurt all the more.
Okay, I'll bite. Why will it hurt more if I wait? I actually don't really care at this point. My router is IPv6 capable but I have no pressing reason to switch. And frankly, I'd be shocked if Comcast supported it.

16. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

*yawn* As someone said, Gabe will pull that out of the seat cushions.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2018, 14:46 Mr. Tact

All I can say is I am SO FREAKING glad I managed to retire from the world of computer networking before having to deal with IPv6 in any significant way. When I was working actively in that field I was using ip addresses in most of the things I did. Having to do what I did with IPv6 address instead, would have sucked serious donkey dicks.

That said, there is no real reason for it to be a problem. If the proper tools are built, IPv6 could be easier than IPv4. I simply never had, and still lack the belief those tools will be built any time soon. And it is likely they won't get built until after a switch is forced.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 14:24 Mr. Tact

Mayberry? I thought you lived in NYC? (Brooklyn or the Bronx or something...)  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 23:56 Mr. Tact

Interesting BoP. Was any theory put forth as to what might be causing your alpha waves to stay flat? The low levels of a particular enzyme or something perhaps? Or were you given the infamous shrug?  

News Comments > Blizzard Launches Balance Gifting
4. Re: Blizzard Launches Balance Gifting Apr 19, 2018, 23:09 Mr. Tact

So, an intern was in charge of this project I take it?  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 13:54 Mr. Tact

If he is unable to can his smart ass tendencies, I suspect he'll get a harsh lesson. It would an interesting experiment to watch...  

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
10. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 21:36 Mr. Tact

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 21:21:
Origin Marketing Team - 1
BluesNews - 0
They score simply because we are talking about them?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 13:28 Mr. Tact

Okay, well I guess I misunderstood our ability to spot these things. While I understood in general that asteroids are difficult to spot for the reasons you stated, I would have thought a 50-100 meter asteroid passing within the orbit of the moon every 2.51 years would have been "easy pickings" as it were. Guess not.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 13:00 Mr. Tact

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 12:41:
Docs prescribe *much* larger doses of Advil for short periods, right? If you have a healthy liver and are drinking/eating healthily, larger doses for short periods shouldn't have long term effects.
You are correct. I probably should have said "try not to" instead of "do not". However, different people have different levels of sensitivity to the problem. So caution is a wise course.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 12:30 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Redeye -- I understood all of that before you posted it.

However if this April really was the first time someone sighted this asteroid, which I'm not yet convinced of. I still find it difficult to believe an asteroid of this size with a orbital period of 2.51 years could have gone unnoticed until now. We have been surveying local space for these things for quite a while now. If the orbital period was 10 or 15 years, then it would make a lot more sense.

5. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 12:18 Mr. Tact

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the download link at PopCap is no longer valid. I'd have to get a copy of the install zip file from around that time to test it, and somehow that doesn't seem likely...  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 10:55 Mr. Tact

Do not exceed the recommended dosage on the Advil. That stuff can really mess up your liver. And if you find yourself taking it for an extended period of time, see a doctor.  

2. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 Mr. Tact

A search of my email tells me I bought this and Peggle Nights from PopCap in 2009. Seems like longer ago than that... wonder if my registration keys would still work...  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 00:34 Mr. Tact

I noticed a headline about this asteroid making a "close" pass of Earth recently. Can someone explain to me why an asteroid with an orbital period of 2.51 years which passes within the orbit of our moon was only seen for the first time on 14 Apr 2018?

Maybe it's just odd verbiage? They are saying the first sighting, but they mean the first sighting on this pass?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 21:21 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 20:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 17:24:
You didn't know Starbucks was a thing?
I see what you did thar.
So, you noticed I was pointing out your post was so vague there was no way to determine what it meant, and then didn't correct the issue. Bloody clever of you.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2018, 19:22 Mr. Tact

I agree. It could have gone a lot worse for most of them.  

6669 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo