Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4946 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 20:04 Mr. Tact

Wow. I guess I just wasn't paying attention, I didn't realize you were that far gone. C'est la vie. Do us a favor and go converse with Terry Jones instead of us. Thanks.

As a side note, what is with the Jones clan? Alex Jones, Terry Jones, Jim Jones... dangerous name to have apparently..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 19:08 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 18:57:
Snark aside, I don't see the repeal happening. The good parts of it are too popular and too many reps are getting pushback from constituents and insurance companies. The danger I guess is sabotage : some person or group figures out a way to partially defund it and it enters a death spiral. The chance is small but it's possible.
I hope you're right, but I don't have a lot of confidence in something positive happening. The free market can't/won't solve the problem, the ACA was an attempt to fix the free market solution. I doubt you can find anyone who would think the ACA is perfect. But it was the best the Ds could get while dragging the dead weight of the Rs along with them.

It will be interesting to see what the Rs do. For reasons beyond my understanding it seems many people did not equate the ACA with the fact they got coverage they couldn't previously get. And they seem to be protesting the idea of losing it a bit... will the Rs listen? *shrug*

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 18:28 Mr. Tact

To Kxmode:

So, I'm supposed to pray to God for healthcare coverage? Gee, thanks.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 17:19 Mr. Tact

Free wheelin' Illinois -- where the legislators spend every dollar they find and lots of dollars they can't.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 16:59 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 16:14:
Seriously, though, I hate politics with a passion, but I like Google News. Every day I'd see Trump this, Clinton that, ISIS blew up this and that. Sick of it! It's like a plate of juicy steak mixed with brussels sprouts. I just want the steak, but I have to weed out all the disgusting brussels.
Certainly can't say I blame you for feeling that way. And it seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. Unfortunately I feel compelled to pay at least some attention to it. I mean, this stuff can have real impacts on real people. For instance I'm very interested in what the GOP is or isn't going to do about the ACA since I am now getting my insurance through it. I'm wondering if I'll be without health insurance next year, or sooner...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 11:07 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 10:22:
Sad about Cassidy as well.

But the 5th grader asking the police for help with math made my day
It made your day that the police don't know basic algebra? Dementia in all it's various forms sucks.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 22:51 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 21:52:
Thanks! It's $3k/month for a 1bd/1bath.
That not as bad as I might have guessed, although I hate to think what 3bd/2bath might cost. However, I have to say, it makes me feel so much better about my mortgage. Again, good luck.

18. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 21:38 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 19:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 18:15:
descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:15:
Pretty much every state has a law that either requires employers to either accommodate voting through scheduling or pay up to 2 hours for employees to go vote.
I can't say you are wrong, but it's the first time I ever heard of such a thing.
I had never heard of it. But making a blanket statement like "pretty much every state" made me decide to do the onerous task of googling it. And now I pretty much know some of the answer.
The more you know. http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html
In 2016, 18 states had No specific law requiring time off to vote.
I plead guilty to being lazy. Interestingly, my state is one of the states with a law. Yet, as I said, this is the first I have ever heard of it.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 21:33 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 20:52:
Spent most of today touring and applying for a super awesome West Village apartment in Manhattan. It's looking very likely that I'll get it. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys, haha!
Good luck to you.

However, I gotta ask... what price range are we talking about? 'Cause my mostly uninformed guess would be that isn't going to be cheap.

13. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 18:15 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:15:
Pretty much every state has a law that either requires employers to either accommodate voting through scheduling or pay up to 2 hours for employees to go vote.
I can't say you are wrong, but it's the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 Mr. Tact

Care to narrow your new location to a county or two?  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 09:37 Mr. Tact

Haha, looked up "Pennsyltucky" on wiki -- that is a large area...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 21:31 Mr. Tact

Do you own a 3D TV? If not, thanks for supporting my position. If you do, how often to you watch 3D content? It is a gimmick best left to your local IMAX theater.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 20:19 Mr. Tact

Reading that article was worth it for this one statement:

"3D TV is dead,..."

WOO HOO! YES! I agree and could not be happier about it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 19:13 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:16:
Response:

I get the whole loop thing. But the moment he gave her the phone # means that she didn't have it, meaning at some point she saved the world without the phone #. There must of been a 'primary timeline' before the causal loop was created, otherwise it would cause a paradox (meaning, it couldn't happen .. as paradoxes prevent things from happening, they aren't just a matter of fact issue). Also, the fact she didn't know the phone # meant she existed in a linear timeline (at that scene) up until the point of knowing it, for her past self can know it. Spin... I'm sure I'm overthinking this. When I write a story involving time travel, my main character is always aware of paradoxes and creating divergent timelines, going through great trouble to not disturb an existing timeline, create paradoxes, spawning divergent timelines, or causing total annihilation.

Super secret
I don't think you are over thinking -- it is simply ALWAYS the case in time manipulation stories that you have this situation. Again, compare to the Terminator. Without Kyle being sent back in time, John Conner is never born, hence the humans can never defeat Skynet to send Kyle back. There is no primary time line to the defeat of Skynet without John Conner. Who can't be there unless they defeat Skynet. It is a total paradox. I'm not saying you are wrong about there being a plot hole, only that these types of plot holes are always present in time manipulation stories.

I guess you might argue her intent to call is enough to change a "potential" future but I think that is really stretching it.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 09:34 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 03:55:
Just saw the movie Arrival.

Spoiler questions / comments:

If she is living non-linear how did she not know about the phone call? She acted surprised. And how did she save mankind the first round if she didn't know the number? Why would she ever need it?

Lastly, lack of knowledge (phone number) would indicate linear thinking, but in the future she is non-linear. So which is it?

Are these a major plot holes?

On the other hand maybe she doesn't realize she's existing in subtle but alternate-divergent timelines or universes. She might simply be delusional.

Super secret
Why doesn't she know about the phone call?

Well -- talking about non-linear events almost always makes for confusing verbiage. My personal spin: She is surprised because she is only just figuring out what's going on. That the visions of a child, her child, are not some fantasy but that she is seeing her future. And realizing she can manipulate her action in that future which enables her to change the present. She isn't "living non-linear", ie... she isn't moving forward and backward in time, she is simply seeing and interacting with her future. Unless I'm misremembering you aren't shown her changing the past.

Now your next question is a standard time travel plot problem. Terminator.. how was John Conner ever born the first time, without Kyle having gone back in time to father him. How can the general be at the party for her to get the phone number, unless she already called him. It is pretty much unavoidable to have a problem like this when you are dealing with time altering events. I don't really understand your "Why would she ever need it?" question.

If you consider this a major plot hole, no film containing any form of time manipulation isn't guilty of it.

News Comments > Over 20 Million Terrarians
8. Re: Over 20 Million Terrarians Feb 18, 2017, 21:10 Mr. Tact

One thing this game has which I would love to see in Minecraft is the ability to carry your character's inventory from one save to another. It really is needed in Terraria because certain items can only be found in certain biomes and not all biomes are in every world.

But yeah, I doubt there is another game at the $10 price mark which is as good. I built from scratch to near completion in at least two versions, maybe three... I don't remember for sure.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:32 Mr. Tact

You're probably right that the continuing penalty of being someone with a "record" is in some cases, probably including this one, is more than it should be.

He might be able to get it expunged later, I know that is possible in some cases. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it is difficult, expensive (paying the lawyer), and/or not possible in many cases.

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
77. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:04 Mr. Tact

I don't buy your analogy of the mob or Walmart. Yeah, millions shop at Walmart, there are also millions that don't, myself included. Yeah, Walmart closed down a lot of smaller retailers, but there are still plenty of others around.

You seem to be ranting against the "Millions of people have said that they will only shop at Walmart. They're the problem." Do you scream at the wind too? I stand by what I said previously. If Steam's conditions for having products on their site were as egregious as you seem to think they are -- we'd be hearing a lot more complaining about it and people would be doing something about it. Yes, setting up a distribution site is not a minor task, but devs would flock to support one if the option of using Steam was so damaging.

Someone would become the Walmart of software distribution, lower prices -- if Steam was the IBM, unbending status quo.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 15:00 Mr. Tact

If only I had said that...  

4946 Comments. 248 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo