Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4936 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 Mr. Tact

Care to narrow your new location to a county or two?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 09:37 Mr. Tact

Haha, looked up "Pennsyltucky" on wiki -- that is a large area...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 21:31 Mr. Tact

Do you own a 3D TV? If not, thanks for supporting my position. If you do, how often to you watch 3D content? It is a gimmick best left to your local IMAX theater.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 20:19 Mr. Tact

Reading that article was worth it for this one statement:

"3D TV is dead,..."

WOO HOO! YES! I agree and could not be happier about it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 19:13 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:16:
Response:

I get the whole loop thing. But the moment he gave her the phone # means that she didn't have it, meaning at some point she saved the world without the phone #. There must of been a 'primary timeline' before the causal loop was created, otherwise it would cause a paradox (meaning, it couldn't happen .. as paradoxes prevent things from happening, they aren't just a matter of fact issue). Also, the fact she didn't know the phone # meant she existed in a linear timeline (at that scene) up until the point of knowing it, for her past self can know it. Spin... I'm sure I'm overthinking this. When I write a story involving time travel, my main character is always aware of paradoxes and creating divergent timelines, going through great trouble to not disturb an existing timeline, create paradoxes, spawning divergent timelines, or causing total annihilation.

Super secret
I don't think you are over thinking -- it is simply ALWAYS the case in time manipulation stories that you have this situation. Again, compare to the Terminator. Without Kyle being sent back in time, John Conner is never born, hence the humans can never defeat Skynet to send Kyle back. There is no primary time line to the defeat of Skynet without John Conner. Who can't be there unless they defeat Skynet. It is a total paradox. I'm not saying you are wrong about there being a plot hole, only that these types of plot holes are always present in time manipulation stories.

I guess you might argue her intent to call is enough to change a "potential" future but I think that is really stretching it.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 09:34 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 03:55:
Just saw the movie Arrival.

Spoiler questions / comments:

If she is living non-linear how did she not know about the phone call? She acted surprised. And how did she save mankind the first round if she didn't know the number? Why would she ever need it?

Lastly, lack of knowledge (phone number) would indicate linear thinking, but in the future she is non-linear. So which is it?

Are these a major plot holes?

On the other hand maybe she doesn't realize she's existing in subtle but alternate-divergent timelines or universes. She might simply be delusional.

Super secret
Why doesn't she know about the phone call?

Well -- talking about non-linear events almost always makes for confusing verbiage. My personal spin: She is surprised because she is only just figuring out what's going on. That the visions of a child, her child, are not some fantasy but that she is seeing her future. And realizing she can manipulate her action in that future which enables her to change the present. She isn't "living non-linear", ie... she isn't moving forward and backward in time, she is simply seeing and interacting with her future. Unless I'm misremembering you aren't shown her changing the past.

Now your next question is a standard time travel plot problem. Terminator.. how was John Conner ever born the first time, without Kyle having gone back in time to father him. How can the general be at the party for her to get the phone number, unless she already called him. It is pretty much unavoidable to have a problem like this when you are dealing with time altering events. I don't really understand your "Why would she ever need it?" question.

If you consider this a major plot hole, no film containing any form of time manipulation isn't guilty of it.

News Comments > Over 20 Million Terrarians
8. Re: Over 20 Million Terrarians Feb 18, 2017, 21:10 Mr. Tact

One thing this game has which I would love to see in Minecraft is the ability to carry your character's inventory from one save to another. It really is needed in Terraria because certain items can only be found in certain biomes and not all biomes are in every world.

But yeah, I doubt there is another game at the $10 price mark which is as good. I built from scratch to near completion in at least two versions, maybe three... I don't remember for sure.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:32 Mr. Tact

You're probably right that the continuing penalty of being someone with a "record" is in some cases, probably including this one, is more than it should be.

He might be able to get it expunged later, I know that is possible in some cases. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it is difficult, expensive (paying the lawyer), and/or not possible in many cases.

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
77. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:04 Mr. Tact

I don't buy your analogy of the mob or Walmart. Yeah, millions shop at Walmart, there are also millions that don't, myself included. Yeah, Walmart closed down a lot of smaller retailers, but there are still plenty of others around.

You seem to be ranting against the "Millions of people have said that they will only shop at Walmart. They're the problem." Do you scream at the wind too? I stand by what I said previously. If Steam's conditions for having products on their site were as egregious as you seem to think they are -- we'd be hearing a lot more complaining about it and people would be doing something about it. Yes, setting up a distribution site is not a minor task, but devs would flock to support one if the option of using Steam was so damaging.

Someone would become the Walmart of software distribution, lower prices -- if Steam was the IBM, unbending status quo.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 15:00 Mr. Tact

If only I had said that...  

News Comments > Path of Exile The Fall of Oriath Announced
13. Re: Path of Exile The Fall of Oriath Announced Feb 17, 2017, 14:26 Mr. Tact

I've been considering having another go at PoE for a long time now, this looks like a pretty good reason to do so.

Full release currently slated for June/July... so have some time yet.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 14:18 Mr. Tact

Yep. Excellent film.

Both blu-ray and UHD are available.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 13:25 Mr. Tact

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 13:16:
One of my favorite tidbits about Archer is how different Judy Greer is from her character Cheryl. Seeing her answer questions on some interviews and panels always requires a doubletake. H.Jon Benjamin, Aisha Tyler, and Chris Parnell seem to handle conversations much the same way as their characters...
I feel this way about Hugh Laurie. Watched seven seasons of House before I ever saw him in anything else or give an interview. I hear that British accent and immediately think, "Why is he doing that?" LOL.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 12:41 Mr. Tact

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. This wasn't some kid, he is 24 years old. Unless he has some mental condition which reduces his capacity to act like an adult it would seem a criminal conviction is not out of line.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 11:53 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:05:
Anyone else in SoCal? All this forecast in the news of a major rain storm and so far it's barely drizzling. I was looking forward to heavy rainfall.
They aren't in Oroville...

73. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 08:52 Mr. Tact

1) Do you have any actual evidence Valve is taking 30%?

2) Even if they are, in the example you give, if Cogcentric was doing what you claim Valve is -- you would have known prior to starting your seminar business about the issues of dealing with Cogcentric. And you'd have to make business decision about either living with it, or finding another way.

I don't really see where the problem is. Assuming you are right, yeah 30% off the top sounds like it might be a bit steep. But if it is nearly as egregious as you seemed to think it is -- it sure seems likely to me we'd both hear more complaints about it and see some action to battle it.

40. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 08:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 03:19:
Fair enough, but the holes were much smaller, many fewer, and better integrated than those in Prometheus. I'm still pissed about that movie.
Yeah, but frankly -- that movie was just so bad overall I never even bothered noticing plot problems or inconsistencies. It is such a bad movie, why bother?

Which raises an interesting point, I guess these type of things only really bother me in a movie I like or one I at least want to like. But if the movie is just plain bad, it isn't worth the effort.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2017, 22:49 Mr. Tact

For someone who doesn't give a f*ck, you sure do blather on, and on..  

69. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 22:29 Mr. Tact

I could buy an argument that Steam isn't all peaches and cream for independent game developers, however Slick's opinion seems likely to be at least a bit overstated. It seems to me if was really THAT bad for the game devs. they would have banded together and created an alternative. It would be interesting to know the exact details of the deals, especially for successful games. Say something like Factorio, which I know was doing pretty well before they were on Steam.

I would say if any current game developer is bitching about it, they have no one to blame but themselves. This isn't exactly hidden information. As far as the "diehard fanbois" *shrug* if Steam was half as bad as some people claim they wouldn't do half the business they do. Yeah, they aren't perfect -- no person or business is. Being first gets you a lot of credit -- ask Henry Ford. But it isn't necessary all important, ask Friendster or MySpace, who turned down a chance to buy Facebook for $75m.

36. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 14:16 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 14:09:
I really don't fault the movie for any of this stuff though. It's all based in scientific fact and was close enough IMO.
In general I agree, hence my "suspend my disbelief" mantra. But again, when the actors specifically talk about something and then don't manage to make the obvious, next step, logical conclusion, it is annoying.

4936 Comments. 247 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo