Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 8891 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 22, 2019, 12:15 Mr. Tact

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 22, 2019, 09:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 20:39:
I've never had TiVo, I was a ReplayTV guy. Another example of superior technology losing. It really is too bad (the Betamax of DVRs). Currently I am using DishTV and their Hopper3 DVR is well done.
ReplayTV might have been better back then, but Tivo got really good. I had it for several years (2010-20015) and that generation was better than anything I've seen since. The newer stuff looks good too, but I cut the cable cord years ago.
Does it support show transfers? ReplayTV was really good. I doubt TiVo is much, if any, better.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2019, 20:42 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 17:34:
Rewatching the video today, it looked like a good catch.

Then again, I was a Stillers fan as a little kid back in the 70s, so take my opinion with a grain of alcohol. I even got Mean Joe Greene's autograph.
The way I remember it is the clip which NFL films always uses makes it look like a catch, but that someone found film from another camera, at a different angle, which showed it hit the ground. But again, as I said, I might be remembering wrong.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 21, 2019, 20:39 Mr. Tact

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 17:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 16:15:
Wait, isn't TiVO a subscription service? So, they expect you to pay AND have to watch commercials? I guess they are skip-able, but still what a bunch of money grabing dicks...
"Advertising is an important part of every media business and TiVo is investing in new advertising experiences."
The absurdity of this statement when they charge $20/month for channel indexing on top of the cost of the hardware is just mind blowing. Tivo already makes a mountain of money on their patents. The product is really good if you insist on cable TV, but this would be a deal breaker for me.
I've never had TiVo, I was a ReplayTV guy. Another example of superior technology losing. It really is too bad (the Betamax of DVRs). Currently I am using DishTV and their Hopper3 DVR is well done.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2019, 16:43 Mr. Tact

Darks wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 16:32:
the way Francos catch went off by bouncing off a defender into Francos hands was something to behold.
I thought there was an angle which showed the ball touched the ground and it shouldn't have been ruled a catch? I might be remembering wrong or perhaps it was a Steelers hater ranting...

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 21, 2019, 16:15 Mr. Tact

Wait, isn't TiVO a subscription service? So, they expect you to pay AND have to watch commercials? I guess they are skip-able, but still what a bunch of money grabing dicks...  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous September Update
18. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 20, 2019, 22:43 Mr. Tact

Mining is ridiculously profitable. However, most people seem to find it fairly boring, core mining less so. I'd say it would take about 20 hours of play time for a beginner miner to make his first billion. Less if he takes to it quickly. Experienced miners can make 200 million an hour on a mapped run.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2019, 22:53.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2019, 20:49 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 12:34:
The transition from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman is brilliant.
Uh, what?

16. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 20, 2019, 19:23 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 18:41:
Yeah, I have a HOTAS. That's a good idea.
Cool. I think a HOTAS really enhances the gaming experience in E:D. Completing the FSS of a system was not easy for me the first few times, but after a while I got the feel of it. Now, as long as the system has under 50 bodies, I always complete the FSS. If you are in it for the cash, you'll want to surface scan any Earth-like, Ammonia, or Water Worlds. Terraform-able world are worth it too, but while you can see which worlds are, it isn't convenient.

News Comments > Minecraft Adding Character Creator
2. Re: Minecraft Adding Character Creator Sep 20, 2019, 12:19 Mr. Tact

Whatever. I've actually been playing again lately. Restarted with the 1.14 release/update. It is amazingly how you can lose yourself in such a simple game...  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 23:18 Mr. Tact

Bard wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 15:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 11:45:
Greed brought down the 737, nothing but unbridled greed.
Yep. A conscious decision to sacrifice safety in chase of profits.
Well, greed and hubris. The hubris to think it was okay/just fine/whatever to purposely design a fundamentally flawed plane, attempt to overcome the physical design flaw with a software solution, and then covering it up like nothing was going on.

14. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 19, 2019, 22:49 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 22:11:
Okay. I bought an explorer and want to go on a nice long trip, but wanted to figure out how to use the scanner first. I'll give it a shot the weekend if there's time (trying to get DreyerDaughter into college)
Are you using a HOTAS? I use my "tophat" for FSS. Left and right for changing the frequency, up to zoom in, down to zoom out and use the joystick for moving around. Works really well for me. YMMV.

12. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 19, 2019, 08:46 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 17:20:
That has more to do with the fact that this is a persistent online game service. Your account is your save file, so you could probably just create another one of those if you like.
Oddly, I recall having multiple "persistent online game service" via World of Warcraft 15 years ago. Maybe it was just a dream though.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Sep 18, 2019, 17:26 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:03:
PhysicalEd wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 22:24:
I've said before you should have a subscriber/supporter setup where we can view ad-free (and guilt free) and support your site. Of course handling subscribers may be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe a Patreon? Then we can support you and block ads without feeling bad

I think people have been urging Blue to get a Patreon account for as long as Patreon has existed.
Yes, we have. Yes, he should.

7. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 18, 2019, 17:21 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 17:20:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 17:08:
You know I might be willing to give them some credit for a product update which focuses on improving the start up experience if I could experience myself without deleting all my progress or buying a second copy of the game. Perhaps some day in the future developers will come up with a way to have multiple saves in a game... maybe by the 22nd century...

That has more to do with the fact that this is a persistent online game service. Your account is your save file, so you could probably just create another one of those if you like.
Yes, you can -- doing so involves buying another copy of the game.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Event Launches
8. Re: No Man's Sky Event Launches Sep 18, 2019, 17:20 Mr. Tact

I know it is hard Kx, but you really should just flush your mind of those bad feelings and try the game. As sore as you are about the launch only tells me how hyped you were to play it, and that game mostly exists now. If you could either forgive or forget I suspect you would really enjoy playing the game. But hey, whatever makes you happy.  

5. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 18, 2019, 17:09 Mr. Tact

JD, on using the FSS, if you are still having problems come back here and ask questions and I'll be glad to assist.  

4. Re: Elite Dangerous September Update Sep 18, 2019, 17:08 Mr. Tact

You know I might be willing to give them some credit for a product update which focuses on improving the start up experience if I could experience myself without deleting all my progress or buying a second copy of the game. Perhaps some day in the future developers will come up with a way to have multiple saves in a game... maybe by the 22nd century...  

13. Re: On another topic... Sep 18, 2019, 17:04 Mr. Tact

I just had to say something about this clown at WeWork. That dude is seriously making an attempt to make Zuck look like a serious businessman and a nice guy. What he should be doing is selling whatever it is he is smoking, because people are going to pony up big for a share of that...  

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta
20. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 16:57 Mr. Tact

Nullity wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 14:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:57:
Scrollbar Luddite here also, hella more efficient than the wheel.
Whaa? Are you sure "efficient" was the term you were looking for?

You may personally prefer the scrollbar, and that's perfectly fine, but using a scrollbar rather than the mouse wheel is objectively less efficient.

You have move the mouse and target the bar (which as already pointed out, isn't always quick and easy with how small they often are these days), then click and drag. Whereas you simply spin the scroll wheel - you don't even need to move the pointer most of the time, as long as it's within the scrollable element.

Usually, the only time I use the scroll bar is on rare occasions when I need fine control to scroll in smaller increments than what the mouse wheel is configured for.
*meh* I am unconvinced. One of the reasons I prefer the scroll bar is the unpredictable results I've gotten from using the mouse wheel.

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta
7. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 17, 2019, 23:49 Mr. Tact

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:32:
SirKnight wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 21:23:
One thing I can't stand, which I also see on some webpages, modern OSes and GOG Galaxy 2, is the scroll bars are extremely skinny. Those are so hard to grab. This trend shows that a lot of people these days that are doing UI must have never read a book or taken a class on UI design, an area that's been studied for decades.
Design has almost entirely moved away from scrollbars. The idea is that your content should not be so long that you have to do more scrolling than your scroll wheel should reasonably accommodate- pagination should be used for large datasets. On the Mac, scrollbars are hidden by default. The only benefit you get with "classic" style scrollbars is that the height of the drag-able area size indicates how much content you have to scroll through. You should rarely, if ever, be trying to drag through content via a scrollbar.

I think that's why scrollbars are so skinny these days. It's a less obtrusive design for something that has limited value.
*meh* I have always preferred interacting with the scroll bar over using my mouse wheel. If I am "weird" for being that way, it would be far from the first time...

8891 Comments. 445 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo