Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 6673 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
55. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 18:15 Mr. Tact

SlimRam wrote on May 23, 2018, 15:58:
Creston wrote on May 22, 2018, 23:13:
Ant wrote on May 22, 2018, 20:36:
Dudes, we're all old.

Heh, ain't that the truth. I was 26 when this came out.

Hell I was 31 when this came out... damn
Damn kids! I was 36. And get off my lawn.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
49. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 14:01 Mr. Tact

I remember trying Unreal and thinking it was Quake, slightly tweaked. Played it some, but went back to Quake. They were released close to each other and I played Quake for a while before trying Unreal.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2018, 13:58 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 12:33:
One of the best known American literary authors of the 20th century. But given his content, not really taught in schools. He was likely a bigger deal to the parents of most here than to us, as he was a bit before our time.
Well, I graduated HS in 1980, so I'd say I'm in the target zone. But there are so many novels printed every year, I'm not surprised I wasn't familiar with him. Especially when since HS my reading choices have been focused on sci-fi and to a lesser degree fantasy. I wander out of those areas occasionally, but not often.

Looking at the wiki page again, I overlooked "The Human Stain" which I did not read, but I did see the movie based on it with Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman. I enjoyed the film.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2018, 12:26 Mr. Tact

Another famous person I've never heard of, Phillip Roth. Not that I particularly feel bad about it. In fact, I would guess I've never heard of most of the people who have won the Pulitzer. Looking at his wiki page, none of his titles caused the faintest hint of recognition.

Although Blue's blurb makes me wonder if I missed out on something, after all lust is one of my favorite subjects.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2018, 19:47 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 17:27:
The first couple of episodes are slow? The first scene of the first episode has a zero-G sex scene.

(Shameless attempt to get people to watch the show.)
Ha! Watched the first season and have no memory of that. Been meaning to get around to season two, but now I might wait until we find out what happens. Don't care to "really get into it" only to get left hanging...

7. Re: Amazon in the Eighties May 22, 2018, 14:55 Mr. Tact

TheBigVlad wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:30:
In 2001 when I was 19 and was new to the stock market, I used all the extra money I had at the time to buy $1000 worth of shares in Amazon for $9.08/share. I sold it off a few days later after it jumped to $11.05. I was happy to make an easy quick little profit at the time. If I'd left it in though, it would be worth $174,000 right now. I know there's no point in dwelling on 'what-ifs' but damn.
Yeah, this is a semi-favorite subject when investing is the conversation. The question is, "How long could YOU hold on?" If you make any investment, and it grows by 50%, what do you do? Hold on? Take your profits? What if it gets to 100%, 200%? Obviously, there are lots of variables. If the original investment amount is a small percentage of your net worth, then you are more likely to be willing to let it ride, but say it was equivalent to 1/2 or a full year's salary? Then the pressure is much higher.

My own most recent "if only" investment story is when I bought some Facebook purely on whim. Eventually got up to 100 shares at an average of $25 a share. The plan at that point was to just sit on it. But I decided the options were too juicy. The third time they ended up getting ripped from me. Made something like 40% on my money in 4 months. But if I had just held it, I would now be up about 600%.. oh well...

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2018, 09:40 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2018, 09:06:
I tend to not be a really big fan of hard scifi unless the story and characters are particularly engaging.
Well, I'd have to agree with the clip that anything containing "magicial swords" or "wizards" is fantasy, not sci-fi. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I've read plenty of fantasy. Including fantasy which turned out to be sci-fi (I won't mention the title since it is kind of the surprise ending). But there is a difference between the two.

Based on the NPR review, River of Teeth doesn't sound very sci-fi. Which again, doesn't necessarily mean it is good or bad.

Edit: Oh, and obigitory suggetion for any sci-fi fan to read Iain Banks' Culture series. The fictional universe I most wish I lived in.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2018, 08:42 Mr. Tact

Ozmodan wrote on May 21, 2018, 21:36:
It is like the electors hate space operas. There were some very goods ones out this past year.
What were the very good ones? I'm always looking for good sci-fi.

I just finished John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series, which I really enjoyed. And I'm currently reading Jason Hough's "Dire Earth" series, which has been interesting if a bit odd. Not sure I would recommend it. Old Man's War is a good read though.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2018, 20:54 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on May 21, 2018, 16:57:
God, I hate the Drumhead so much. It would have been a great episode if it had happened in DS9, where it could have gotten the necessary build-up and aftermath. But since it happens in TNG, from nowhere suddenly there's this McCarthyism in the Federation, it lasts 30% of an episode, and is then never referenced again. It was terrible.
Well, you could say it was a momentary, localized, "madness". Which when exposed quickly dissipates in the perfect glory of the Federation. While I understand your complaint, it is something I allow my "suspension of disbelief" to deal with. As you indicate, the nature of the show being episodic means you have to let it just fade. This aspect of the show occasionally annoyed me and is the primary reason I like DS9 so much.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2018, 08:49.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2018, 00:32 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2018, 22:46:
I like them all for different reasons. I'd probably rank TNG at the top of my list and Enterprise at the bottom. Enterprise had a lot of good episodes, but the over arching time travel plot... ugh. It's hard for me to rank ToS against the others, a lot of classic sci-fi plots and that 60's camp. It has my favorite scene of all the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wphWJoliUMQ I mean you just don't get that kind of writing anymore
Haha, there are plenty of goofy moments like that for Kirk. I like them all too, but some are clearly better. There are too many TNG episodes which make me cringe (especially in seasons 1 and 2) to rank it better than third. There are very few DS9 or TOS episodes which are cringe worthy. One of my favorite DS9 episodes is from season 6, In the Pale Moonlight -- just awesome.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2018, 18:34 Mr. Tact

The ST movies vary from very good to very bad. I never got around to Discovery, I probably will eventually. I'd rank the remaining series from best to worst this way:

The Original Series
Deep Space Nine
Next Generation (first two seasons were pretty terrible)
Enterprise (downgraded in part for not lasting long enough)
The Animated Series
Voyager

While I really like the story arcs in DS9, they didn't do it nearly as well in Voyager.

Think I'll wait for Deadpool 2 to make it to the movie channels...

News Comments > Diablo III Season 13 Ends Soon
3. Re: Diablo III Season 13 Ends Soon May 20, 2018, 16:16 Mr. Tact

Janky? Not sure what you mean by that. D3 is tops in numbers of monsters killed per second, but a good PoE build isn't far behind. The variety for builds in PoE seems to be better. In either case, I'm not completely sold on this idea of starting over ever season/league.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2018, 14:36 Mr. Tact

Of all the things which still are but shouldn't be, figurehead monarchies are far down the list ranked by most important to get rid of...  

11. Re: Thanks Obama!!1! May 18, 2018, 20:55 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2018, 17:57:
What Trump really needs to know is what a SHIV is, since he'll be exposed to a lot of them next year in prison.
Wishful thinking. The only way it would happen is if he was convicted on some kind of state law regrading his business practices in a state with a D governor. A very low probability at best...

News Comments > Black Ops IIII Announced
12. Re: Black Ops IIII Announcement May 17, 2018, 17:22 Mr. Tact

I gotta believe at least one person stepped forward and said, "Shouldn't it be 'IV'?" -- would love to have heard what the obviously idiotic response was...  

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Don't you all know? The DNA that started everything came from Mars! We are all Martians anyway...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 14:34 Mr. Tact

Clearly I made the wrong career choices, a $100k pension for a school resource officer? Wow. I only ever made more than that when I was working, due to retention bonuses....  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2018, 13:12 Mr. Tact

I'm guessing this is some sort of commentary on some part of popular culture which I have apparently totally missed out on (probably thankfully)....  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2018, 14:38 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2018, 13:08:
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crash was deliberate, aviation experts suggest.

This makes no sense. You turn the plane around 180 and fly it 7 hours in the other direction to commit suicide? And your copilot is none the wiser?
The evidence against the pilot seems a bit light to me. Maybe he did it, maybe not. That said, I do think "someone" did it. This wasn't a mechanical failure.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2018, 21:24 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2018, 20:16:
Wow, scary stuff about eh microplastics in beer. Means they're everywhere else too.
Exactly right, they are everywhere basically. Saw a report where they took water samples from like 200 locations worldwide and they all had microplastics in them. It is slowly moving up the list of things which might kill off the human race.

6673 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo