Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4711 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Worst air pollution in ten years? Dec 9, 2016, 08:56 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 23:33:
Anyone who has ever stood beside a fucking diesel powered car knows that diesel is NOT cleaner. Sure, it may have fewer CO2 emissions, which helps with the greenhouse effects, but the nox emissions are through the roof, and that's (partially) why all these major cities in Europe (and elsewhere) are now suffering from all this god-awful smog.
I have to say I've always wondered about the talk about clean diesel because my experience is as you indicate, that it sure didn't seem clean. But I just figured my experience was limited and I've never bothered to investigate the situation.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2016, 23:55 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 19:16:
Removing Pubic Hair Linked To A Heightened Risk Of STIs.

Did anyone read this story? It's hilarious!

They've come up with all these euphemisms: "extreme groomers," "high frequency groomers" etc.

I didn't read this particular article, but I had already read another one on the subject. The study was brain dead and only marginally "scientific". Click bait.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2016, 17:18 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 10:23:
In 1938 Time magazine named Hitler man of the year, donny is in good company.
If I remember correctly, the criteria is person most news worthy -- both of them certainly qualify.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2016, 22:21 Mr. Tact

You know, I tend to be a "note" person. I've found if I write something down, the likelihood I'll remember it goes up significantly. And if I don't remember, I have the note. And looking at the three notes I have on my desk here, all notes to myself about various things in games I'm playing, it is a total mixed bag. Some cursive, some capital block lettering, some upper and lower case block lettering. LOL.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2016, 20:32 Mr. Tact

Pigeon wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 18:07:
My handwriting is shit, I curse anything that requires me write more than my name. Cards are the worst, along with trying to come up with some heartfelt meaningful message for someone I usually don't know very well, I get the added joy of seeing my pathetic attempt at that done in the handwriting of learning disabled 2nd grader. If hell existed I'm pretty sure my punishment would be to write birthday, congratulatory, or thank you cards for all eternity. Oddly my cursive is much better than my print, but not something I can do in a time efficient manner. I suppose some good came from being forced to practice my cursive letters hours on end as a kid.
For me it is all time based. If I take my time, and write "slowly" I can write in cursive fairly clearly and neatly. But if I am taking notes during a class or something like that, then it really degrades. However, I'd have to say the same for my block lettering. If I take my time, it is something anyone could read. But if I am rushed for whatever reason, it gets pretty sloppy. *shrug*

For reasons I can not articulate, I have for years and years practiced my signature somewhat excessively. I take some small pride in a signature that looks good even if it might not be readable. Definitely one of my personal quirks.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2016, 20:00 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 17:47:
you mean all capitals? or as in like she took the time to draw out every letter as a 2D drawn font?
It was simple, all capital, lettering -- like you might expect a 2nd grader to use. It was neat, with straight lines, but not really a signature in anyway. I was kind of surprised she hadn't encountered enough push back to cause her to learn a simple unreadable scrawl like so many people have.

She was young, 18 or 19 and a bit naive, but she wasn't stupid. It really was startling at the time. But yeah, that's when I realized cursive was on the way out eventually...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2016, 17:14 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 12:44:
My penmanship has always sucked and I've generally always written in that combination of print/cursive anyway. I don't see a need for it, beyond being able to sign your name. That one is actually important.
In 1989 I knew someone who signed legal documents using block letters. This was when I was in the USAF, a female coworker and I were doing some kind of required paperwork together and I noticed she had used block lettering where her signature was required. I pointed out to her that she was supposed to put her signature in that location, to which she responded, "That is my signature." I was pretty surprised at the time. So the idea it's dying out is not a shock to me.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2016, 09:30 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 04:27:
I do not understand why folks find Beyonce attractive...
Well, certainly attractiveness varies on a personal level for everyone. But I'd have to say it's pretty clear she is on the high end of the scale. I mean, Twiggy or Kate Upton? Two totally different body types -- and you'll find people who would gush about either and say the other was "not for them". But I think it's obvious both are attractive.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2016, 09:37.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2016, 13:44 Mr. Tact

I'm definitely safer than your average Internet cruiser. I went years without AV on my personal PC without ever getting a virus. I would occasionally download a trial just to do a scan, never found anything. I eventually started using it to protect myself from an accidental exposure -- a virus on a legit site or a friend unknowingly sending me one...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2016, 13:18 Mr. Tact

Ozzy is, along with Keith Richards and several others rockers, definitely on the "lived longer than most thought he would" list...  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
30. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Dec 2, 2016, 19:58 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 09:58:
Marriage isn't a religious institution, it's a legal and tax one.
Ahh, this is the crux of the issue. It would be interesting to know how many people who are concerned about maintaining "traditional marriage" would change their minds if the government decided it WAS a religious institution and removed all legal and tax benefits of marriage.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 20:21 Mr. Tact

Random question: A couple of times now I have run into website forms which don't allow dashes in email addresses. Dashes are clearly an allowed character. I was wonder if anyone knew what the scoop was on this? Is there some popular html tool which has this "mistake" in their standard setup or something?  

2. Re: End of an Era Dec 1, 2016, 11:06 Mr. Tact

As of yesterday morning, the era of ReplayTV has ended for me. It lasted just a bit over 12 years. It is my steadfast position that ReplayTV is the Betamax of DVRs -- the device with the best technology which lost anyway. *sigh*

My replacement is the Hopper 3 from Dish. And I have to admit it isn't terrible. Somehow though, I am guessing this device will not last me 12 years.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2016, 10:11 Mr. Tact

Last time I tried Norton they really "got in my way", but it has been probably 5-10 years since I used them. Have they gotten better in that time? Being an old fart, Kaspersky always gave me pause because they are based in Russia -- totally unfair, maybe I will give them a try.  

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2016, 08:42 Mr. Tact

Since we are on the topic of security... what do you guys use for anti-virus? I've been using AVG for a couple of years now, but they just updated putting in a once every three days ad-nag, has me looking around...  

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2016, 06:34 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 23:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:32:
Here's to hoping ABP wins all their court battles, wherever they may happen. I don't know how people deal with the Internet without it.

They use uBlock Origin ^^
LOL. Truthfully, I never heard of it until now. Looks good though. Here's to hoping they have no legal problems.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
36. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 30, 2016, 06:02 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 03:03:
Right side of the steam page in gold lettering:

"Requires 3rd-Party Account: Uplay (Supports Linking to Steam Account)"
How weird. Hard to believe I could overlook that... I guess I was assuming it would be in the fine print and I was skipping down to the bottom of the page. Kind of reminds me of that visual/brain test where they ask the person to count the number of times the basketball is bounced...

Not sure how valid your analogy is, but I understand the angst. However, I won't lie. Convenience is King, even to me and although I personally avoid Walmart is it any better when I buy from Amazon or my local Meijer?

It is what it is.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2016, 08:58.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 23:28 Mr. Tact

I have the acceptable ads turned off. As far as whitelisted ads, never seen one -- any time an ad has shown up it's because the extension or the browser is gacked up. A restart of the browser and a reload of the page, no ads.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
34. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 29, 2016, 23:24 Mr. Tact

LOL -- no worries. I admit I am a curmudgeon.

To me it would be like if you had to use different browsers for various web-sites. I don't want to have multiple digital distribution applications. I want it all in one place. And if Ubisoft doesn't want to give up some of the cash to Steam, don't put it on the platform. *shrug*

My real gripe is with the lack of identification of the requirements.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 21:32 Mr. Tact

Here's to hoping ABP wins all their court battles, wherever they may happen. I don't know how people deal with the Internet without it.  

4711 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo