Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5737 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 16, 2017, 21:21 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 21:11:
Also, why is the suit ongoing if the patents have been invalidated?
They weren't clear, but it seemed like they were saying the status of the patents was effectively locked in place once the litigation started...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2017, 20:56 Mr. Tact

So, I saw an article on what I was wondering about, what did the Obama administration know about the DEA bill.. Which basically translates to someone really fucked up. Someone should have known what the bill was doing and telling the president that prior to the bill being on the president's desk. No president should be signing any bill into law without someone who actually understands the legislation handing him a summary first. Now... yes, there can be "unforeseen" problems with some bills, but that was not the case here. The bill was specifically designed to defang the DEA.

I'm pretty sure Obama is to date, the most competent president during my lifetime, but this is an example of his administration having a basic failure.

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
22. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 12:41 Mr. Tact

El Pit wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:50:
Never gonna get it never gonna get it (En Vogue)
Great tune. You're never gonna get it. Been a while since I listened to the Funky Divas album, I think I'll go do that right now.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2017, 12:03 Mr. Tact

I just finished watching the 60 Minutes segment from last night on the opioid epidemic -- *ugh* sometimes it feels like the US government is no more legitimate than Russia's. Absolutely incredible.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2017, 10:17 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:38:
<Rest Of Response Redacted>

Wow, I was a little...um...drunk last night, given the circumstances, and wrote a little more than I thought.
I was a little surprised, I thought I was pushing the limits. No worries, no harm, no foul.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2017, 10:01 Mr. Tact

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 04:25:
68 year old lottery winner, decides to take his cash in 26 year installments.

/facepalm

I guess he feels his luck will hold out
I'm sure his family appreciates the decision...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2017, 15:04 Mr. Tact

My colds were almost always like that until I got old and my immune system has seemingly gotten beaten down...  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:02 Mr. Tact

My father had a similar decline from his re-occurrence of prostrate cancer which spread to bone cancer. He died while on "home hospice" care and to this day I wonder if at his request my mother might have overdosed him on morphine, which they had as part of the hospice care. I never asked her, and she has since also died. I kind of doubt she did, but even if she did -- I'd have no complaint.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2017, 18:10 Mr. Tact

I also as a kid I got sore throats 3-4 times a year, most of them were strep. Eventually they simply went directly to a penicillin shot bypassing the oral treatment. At 13, I had my tonsils removed. Never happened after that. Unfortunately they did NOT remove my adenoids at the same time, as they should have. Because of that, and my narrow nasal passage, I have difficulty breathing through my nose.

Here's to hoping you don't have strep.

19. Re: Half of the universe's missing normal matter has been found Oct 11, 2017, 16:40 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 16:12:
Or if the Dark Matter/Dark Energy hypotheses get conclusively disproved, how amazing will that be!? It's really very interesting to me; now if only humanity can get its act together and not wipe itself out before we start solving some of the universe's mysteries...
That seems unlikely considering the nature of the evidence we have for Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We only know of their existence based on observational data, which in both cases was unforeseen and totally unexpected. It would be one thing if we went looking for X and found it. But in both cases we went looking for X and found the opposite of X.

118. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 15:20 Mr. Tact

If only it was that easy...  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 14:49 Mr. Tact

Yeah, Cutter -- you are right, 100 calories of broccoli is not the same as 100 calories of candy. However, we are talking about obesity which doesn't happen without excessive caloric intake. So, yeah -- there are good calories and bad calories, but in the end it mostly comes down to reducing intake.

On average, a person burns about 10 calories per pound they weigh in a day -- just sitting on the couch breathing. If you weight 300 lbs, you are burning 3,000 calories "doing nothing". Consequently, if you only eat 2,000 calories each day, you will lose weight. Doing that takes will power, it isn't easy, but it isn't complicated.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 12:44 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:15:
Why don't we just have a sugar/high fructose corn syrup tax instead? As I was surprised the other day reading the label on milk and seeing sugar in it.
Well, it would need to an tax on "added" sugar, but yes -- that would seemingly be more effective than the soda tax (assuming, taxing is effective).

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:59 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 11:40:
"Soda taxes" in Mexico lowered consumption of soda, but did it lower calorie consumption? Did it reduce obesity? There is no data on that yet. In all likelyhood, people just spent their money on other junk food or drinks. You can't force people to eat healthy, or even make it difficult for them to eat unhealthy.
What he said.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:44 Mr. Tact

Mexico, obviously, isn't the US. I'm guessing 90% of the meals offered in restaurants in Mexico don't provide 1,500+ calories. Also, I'm guessing the percentage of meals eaten at restaurants in the US is much higher. However, I'm open to the possibility of being incorrect.

Would soda taxes reduce obesity in the US? Possibly. Would it be a significant reduction? I'll believe that when I see it.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:17 Mr. Tact

I'm not sure if soda taxes are a good idea or not. It might help discourage people as tobacco taxes did, but on the other hand, I am not convinced it would really make much of a difference. Although, I'd probably be in favor of it if we could guarantee all the money collected on soda takes went to obesity programs or at least health programs.

Listen, you could make non-diet soda illegal tomorrow, remove it from every store, and you know what -- people would still become obese. In the US, unless you pay close attention, there is no way you are going to get a dinner at most restaurants which doesn't have more than your daily recommended amount of calories. And I can tell you from personal experience you can go from a normal weight to obese without drinking a single non-diet soda.

It is a life habit and cultural/societal problem. And it will not be solved by taxing some food products.

17. Re: Half of the universe's missing normal matter has been found Oct 11, 2017, 08:44 Mr. Tact

Modern cosmology is so weird. 68% of the universe is Dark Energy, 27% is Dark Matter, and half of the remaining 5% of "normal" matter -- we couldn't see until now. So, prior to this confirmation, we knew for certain what 2.5% of the universe is and where it was...

I considered astronomy as a career when I was a kid, but never pursued it. Too bad, the last 30 years was a great time to be in the field.

116. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 12:42 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:49:
Never blame rich people for their horrific behavior, blame the everyday consumer for continuing to purchase their products or services.
Unfortunately, when their product is the power industry and you have no choice whom you buy your power from...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 21:48 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 20:16:
He says on a normal tour he has about 3 false positives and by now he knows where to literally disable the assist systems.
I'm actually somewhat surprised it is possible and he is allowed to disable the system. I fear the day when these systems are forced on us...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 18:49 Mr. Tact

This is a common conversation I have with various friends -- how long until driver-less cars are ubiquitous -- there is no consensus. There is a strong belief that driver-less trucks on the Interstate system are somewhere between 5-10 years away. But for individual use, the opinions are widely varied. Most of these people are career computer people, some of them are people who have made a living as coders for decades.

Personally, I am unconvinced it will happen in my lifetime. The big thing I have seen raised is people deliberately messing with the driver-less cars -- randomly putting orange cones up and other such randomness. Not something I would do, but I realize there are plenty of people who would.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2017, 19:27.

5737 Comments. 287 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo