Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5575 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 17:49 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:30:
I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.
It is highly unlikely there are any available hotel rooms on Sunday within an hour of a total eclipse location.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2017, 22:42 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 20:14:
Looking for input, do you guys like the league with dropping your worst week? I historically like the setting incase someone misses a week it doesnt blast your score. There arent really any other settings to change.

A reminder to set your BN handle to your picks profile (is a seperate setting from your profile).

There are some really good people here as far as % of wins. I am throwing around the idea of some possible prizes for BN members.
I like that it throws out a week -- anyone could miss a week. I have no problem with the results being based on 16 of 17 weeks....

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2017, 14:21 Mr. Tact

Wow. Well, it will be interesting to see if Bannon does what some predicted, which is to take revenge for his being fired by attacking Trump via Breitbart. Personally, I doubt it. Even if he's unhappy about being fired, I'm sure he'll blame someone other than Trump. He's smart enough to know Trump is, in his deranged opinion, the best President he'll ever get. He can still effectively talk to Trump simply by posting things on Breitbart.

It doesn't change the fact we have a racist nationalist as a President.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2017, 09:30 Mr. Tact

Olbermann doesn't do serious as well as he does smirky. At least when you have seen as many hours of him being not-so-serious as I have. We probably should be as outraged as he seems to be, but yeah.... I don't want to have an aneurysm either.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 23:05 Mr. Tact

Wait, what? Olbermann is way too serious? Did he have some kind of epiphany conversion?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 17, 2017, 18:33 Mr. Tact

Poverty plays a part, but some of it is just "family history". If you grow up in a family of white nationalists, it is what you learn.

I used to think it would slowly die away. But here we are 50 years after the Civil Rights movement and there are still people in their 20s joining these groups. If the number of these idiots is declining it is hard to tell. Although I'm sure the Southern Poverty Law Center must have statistics on it, but I'm not going to bother to look it up.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 13:02 Mr. Tact

It might take some time, but they can find people who won't know about him. Some people are totally disconnected from "main stream" events, they never watch the news or read the paper. They know the news is almost exclusively bad news they can't do anything about, so why watch?

And frankly, I occasionally wish I was just like them -- ignorance is bliss. It certainly is depressing to know we have a racist white nationalist as our President. (is that redundant, racist white nationalist? probably, oh well)

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2017, 14:15 Mr. Tact

Uh, okay. Thank you George Jones. I find Alannah Myles' Black Velvet a far better tribute.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2017, 23:28 Mr. Tact

Can't be any worse than the 7th Fast and Furious film, can it?  

News Comments > Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1
18. Re: Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1 Aug 14, 2017, 23:58 Mr. Tact

For this to impress me, I'm going to need to know a lot more about what the program is doing and what information it has access to. Even just having perfect aim for attacks would give a human player a huge edge.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 21:20 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 18:16:
Brexit dominates everything and it's hard to look at any big expenditure as wise with so much uncertainty about what our economy will look like a few years. It's some measure of economic stimulus, but there are higher priorities. We haven't even started buying the land for the border controls we'll need in 19 months. It feels like we're treading water until someone senior in the government acknowledges the elephant in the room: this is a terrible idea. The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.
Was listening to a program on NPR about this and it was pretty amusing. Someone from the UK rattled off a list of some of the things which needed to be negotiated with the EU and how long each of those things themselves would in normal circumstances take to be fully negotiated. None of the time-lines were less than the time until Brexit is supposed to happen. And now ALL of them need to be completed. It can't be done in any kind of normal way. Which probably means there will be quick and dirty compromises which will likely be painful -- probably more so for the UK than the EU.

They also said something which rang true to me. Basically, it is in the EU's interest to make Brexit as hard and painful to the UK as they can. Why? Because they want to discourage other nations from doing the same thing. Which obviously is more bad news for the UK. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens. It may well come to be a defining moment in UK history one way or the other.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 14:48 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 14:45:
By contrast, most Parisians would pay good money to see la tour Eiffel torn down.
Let me guess... because too many ugly Americans come to see it?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 14:47 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 13:15:
donald was forced to make a comment that made sense. must have been extremely painful. It only took the idiot 48 hours.
He may have read the statement, but I guarantee he didn't write it and most likely doesn't understand why he "had to" read it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 11:18 Mr. Tact

Wow. Big Ben's regular hour ringing out for four years. Deeper in the article it claims the Parliament building needs 7 billion pounds ($11 billlon) of repairs. Really? I would have thought you could build that building several times over for $11 billion....  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 09:21 Mr. Tact

gsilver wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 08:58:
When I was a kid, I liked getting rare denominations like both kinds of dollar coins, 2 dollar bills, and even had some old coins like the nickel one cent coins.
You had me for a minute. I was thinking, "nickel one cent coins"?! What the hell are those? But I simply didn't know that name for them. I knew them as only "Indian head cents".

I'm a minor currency nerd myself. Own a ridiculous number of proof sets of coins... and hundreds of the state and park quarters...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch This Week
19. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 14, 2017, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I agree flying is easy and yeah, you only forget to contact traffic control a couple of times before it is burned into your memory. But I remember the first dozen times or so of getting through the slot and onto my pad as being a bit of a challenge. Especially locating the pad.. there were more than a couple of times I had to circumnavigate the interior of space stations...

Euro Space Truck Simulator is appropriate, I did rare trading to make money. Had more fun on my long distance trip into unpopulated space though.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 16:01 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:21:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 15:21:
Also watch 'The Road' if you really want to imagine what would be left of the USA after a nuclear apocalypse (my old lady actually cried while watching this... good times)
One of the most bleak and horrific movies ever made. Glad I watched it, but will never see it again.
Oh wow, I remember seeing the trailer for that once, but never saw it was playing in the theaters. Does look bleak, maybe I can catch it on the movie channels some day.... I like me some Viggo..

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patched
19. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:36 Mr. Tact

I don't know, I was thinking more clueless than entitled...  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 09:15 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 09:08:
I don't know about the second part of that. If he wanted to distract people from his Russia connections, he's done a decent job.
I really doubt he's that strategic. He is simply responding to the cable news story he has seen most recently. He is unable to concentrate on a single subject for more than three minutes, "distracting" the news cycle away from the Russia story is a side benefit. The closest he might have gotten to planning it was to think to himself, "I'm not going to talk about Russia."

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch This Week
16. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 12, 2017, 00:24 Mr. Tact

I need to get back to Elite Dangerous at some point..

However, truthfully, I'm not looking forward to
1) setting up the HOTAS again -- not especially difficult just kind of annoying
2) relearning the flight controls and activities such as docking/landing again

Being a lazy bum is a such tough life...

5575 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo