Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 9115 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

12. Re: IPv4 - this time itís really over. Nov 13, 2019, 13:23 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 12:50:
I doubt anyone was memorizing 100s of IP 4 addresses either though.
Hundreds, no. A few dozen, certainly. It just made my life easier as a network engineer to have some key IP addresses memorized. Some of them you just learn because you use them so often.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue

28. Re: Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 12:29 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 12:12:
If that's true then explain these articles.
I'd be willing to bet money a very large portion of the people who when surveyed said they wouldn't fly on a 737 Max, wouldn't be able to tell you what the last plane they flew on was. The story draws interest, which is all the paper/website is interested in. I'll grant I could be wrong, maybe there will be a sustained public dislike of a specific aircraft, but I doubt it.

23. Re: Boeing says 737 MAX should resume commercial flights in January; shares jump Nov 13, 2019, 11:22 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 11:15:
Nobody is going to want to fly on those planes! I know I won't.
I won't either. Then again, my statement carries little weight when you consider the likelihood I will ever fly again at all is extremely low.

However, the general public won't care for the most part. Here is my prediction: Less than a year after the 737 Max is cleared to fly, all the US carriers owning the planes will have them all in use again and flyers refusing to get on them will be somewhere between few to none.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 11:17 Mr. Tact

F*ck George Lucas and his "Midi-chlorians". He purged the credit he got for creating Star Wars when he turned around and destroyed it.

Not that I am bitter or anything...

10. Re: IPv4 - this time itís really over. Nov 13, 2019, 08:59 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 01:01:
Uh, Notepad? At worst take a pic with your phone.
Believe me, notepad and Notepad++ were always open on my work desktop. Even so, the work I did everyday as a network engineer would be hampered severely with IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4 addresses.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 17:03 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 16:35:
How lean can you get before it starts impeding performance?
Don't know the answer to your question, but I'd have to say if you are setting records you probably shouldn't worry too much about getting leaner...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 17:01 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 16:50:
My go to distro recommends these days are Manjaro for casual users and Fedora for professional users. Though if you really want to stay in that Ubuntu/Debian flavor, you can try straight Ubuntu or PopOS!, which is a more modern derivative of Ubuntu.
And for a gamer? My recollection must be faulty, I thought the last time this came up you were suggesting Mint18 with a Cinnamon UI.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 12, 2019, 13:10 Mr. Tact

I know you are kidding, but that is kind of the point. It would take an AI to do it as it is done now if you were using IPv6 addresses. So, until either better tools or a network engineering AI are built, IPv4 ain't going anywhere...

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2019, 13:40.

8. Re: Snow cancels over 1,200 Chicago flights; temperatures to plunge in Midwest, South, Northeas Nov 12, 2019, 12:49 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the cold snap (and snow here) in the Midwest was a bit of a rude awakening for me. Until this week I'd been getting by with using a light windbreaker my as a coat. And yeah, a couple of days were actually too cold for that, but I generally don't spend a lot of time outside so it was fine. But now.. the winter coat is out. Annoyed  

3. Re: IPv4 - this time itís really over. Nov 12, 2019, 12:40 Mr. Tact

"They" have been saying IPv4 was over for a long time now. It will eventually go away, but I'd be surprised if it was anytime soon. And I'm REALLY happy it didn't happen while I was still working as a network engineer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if anyone wants a deeper penetration of the utilization of IPv6 -- then build the damn tools. What I mean by that is, as a network engineer I was looking at, typing, or otherwise manipulating IPv4 addresses dozens if not hundreds of times a day. Doing that with IPv6 addresses would have been extremely difficult. We need tools which will enable network engineers to work with IPv6 addresses without causing a huge increase in the time it takes to do the things network engineers do all day long, all over the world, with IPv4 addresses. And that isn't going to be easy.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2019, 13:07.

9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 12:27 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 12:17:
I know, you guys love singing the Gospel of Linus, but Linux isn't right for a lot of users. You guys like tinkering with your OS. It's the last thing I ever want to do again.
This is close to how I feet about it. Although my opinion over the last year or two has been softening. I suspect using Linux even as a gaming machine isn't nearly as onerous as it used to be. It helps that Win10 updates in the last year have been such a total shit show. I mean if I am going to have to be spending time addressing my OS I'd rather it not be an OS which is specifically designed to spy on my every keystroke.

8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 12:19 Mr. Tact

I totally admit I fall into the lazy category. I am a total lazy bum. I am also somewhat ignorant, I realize I should probably, at the very least, make an effort to try Linux. But my ignorance of Linux is a bar to that effort. And my laziness is directly responsible for keeping me from obtaining the required knowledge. What is worse is my laziness is amplified by my occasional (far too often) apathy.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 12:11 Mr. Tact

Weird... guess my early onset Alzheimer's has been kicking in again. I would have bet good money I had seen authorship on news postings much more recently than that..  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 11:10 Mr. Tact

Hmm, just noticed your OotB posting doesn't indicate it is posted by "Blue". Is that something that changed with the recent updates?  

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 09:36 Mr. Tact

Keep saying it Burrito....  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2019, 09:32 Mr. Tact

First, I admit I didn't know there was a "Civil Rights Act of 1866". Although I suspect I might have heard or read about it previously and simply do not recall it. Second, the article doesn't really say much about how Comcast is claiming they made their decision, only that they (as I understand it) want this "but-for" test to be applied.

The key would seem to be how Comcast came to their decision. Obviously there could be both legitimate and illegitimate reasons for reaching that decision. But I don't see how anyone could decide about Comcast's behavior based on this article.

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 11, 2019, 22:59 Mr. Tact

You know, I am growing less concerned about getting off Win7 when it isn't supported, because I'm not convinced an updated Win10 is better than an un-updated Win7 at this point. I mean, they have really reached another level now...  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2019, 21:58 Mr. Tact

Pretty much. There was no way big tobacco was going to miss out on a new nicotine delivery system...  

24. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2019, 20:44 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 20:42:
Never been a vaper (or tobacco smoker) myself, but I have to imagine a lot of the anti-vaping hysteria is being funded by Big Cancer.
Nah, they have their money in all the vaping products. From Juul's wiki page: "Altria Group (formerly Philip Morris Companies), acquired a 35% stake in Juul Labs for $12.8 billion on December 20, 2018"

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance

5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 9, 2019, 20:17 Mr. Tact

DG wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 20:02:
Do the authenticators only work for apps/accounts that support them, and do they only support specific apps? The only one I have seems to be specific.
Yes, Yubikey only works with apps/accounts that support them. However, the number of supported site/apps is fairly numerous. Probably all he had to do was have it on his G-mail and they wouldn't have gotten the other information they needed.
Or are we securing up the chain by locking e.g. sim account to a phone and in turn locking phone account to the 2FA?
I'm not sure what you are asking here? The Yubikey acts as a physical 2FA, so even if they steal your phone they don't get into other accounts.

9115 Comments. 456 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >