Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 5928 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2017, 12:22 Mr. Tact

While I have no desire to see or participate in an Earth where people don't wear clothes, I have occasionally wondered if on average intelligent species around the universe do or don't wear clothing. It wouldn't surprise me if in some societies the only time clothing was worn was for protection reasons, which is why we humans sometimes need to wear them. Wouldn't want to go outside today in the 30 degree temperatures without protection from the cold...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Free on Origin
2. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Free on Origin Dec 11, 2017, 11:59 Mr. Tact

Oh come on, be fair to the game. It is just old, not shit. I played a couple hundred hours of PvZ when it came out.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2017, 10:58 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 10:51:
I'm hopeful you americans don't screw yourselves on thursday. This is flying too low under the radar right now for the American populace.
If you mean you are hopeful the Net Neutrality regulations won't get gutted, I'd say the odds are very low you (or any other reasonable person) will be happy.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2017, 19:48 Mr. Tact

I've been a Cowboy fan since 1972, and I don't like Jerry Jones.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2017, 10:04 Mr. Tact

WarPig wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 00:59:
Don't worry, I'm way over-due for another five win week.
Speaking of that, this could be a tough week. I was just looking over my picks and I see several games which could easily go either way. One website I looked at has eight of the games as having a point spread under three.

News Comments > Path of Exile: War for the Atlas Launches
7. Re: Path of Exile: War for the Atlas Launches Dec 9, 2017, 20:50 Mr. Tact

Pepe wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 20:17:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 18:56:
I played two characters to the mid 80s in 3.0 -- but taking a break for now. Currently sequestered on Factorio or Factorio. Again.
I love me some factorio, I'm pretty crap at it, still love it.
It definitely takes some time... I put over a thousand hours into my first big base (not my first base). And that was real playtime, not leaving the game running over night to let things collect...

I have mixed feelings about the enemies. It makes some sense you'd have to fight off the locals and it does add some to the early game. But from mid game on, it is pretty much just an annoyance and not a real threat. But mainly, it is a logistics game and the enemies seem to be a bit of an add-on. So.... *shrug* I have no complaints if someone wants to play with or without the enemies turned on.

Great mod community. There are lots of quality of life mods which really make the game so much better.

5. Re: Path of Exile: War for the Atlas Launches Dec 9, 2017, 19:56 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 19:44:
If you like building systems so much, why'd you retire?
Well, first -- they laid me off. So I didn't have a choice. Secondly, 95% of the stuff I was tasked with didn't require any creativity or real thinking. A fairly standard example:

"Configure ports 20-25 on switch CRN-05A and CRN-05B for VLAN 25."

It would have been a bit more complex in reality, but that's the general idea. There were similar requests for creating "standard" virtual IPs. Basically http call redirects to specific servers based on the domain name used.

3. Re: Path of Exile: War for the Atlas Launches Dec 9, 2017, 18:56 Mr. Tact

I played two characters to the mid 80s in 3.0 -- but taking a break for now. Currently sequestered on Factorio or Factorio. Again.  

9. Re: Optical Illusions Dec 9, 2017, 18:52 Mr. Tact

The cool thing about these things is they happen in your brain. You eyes see it just fine, but the brain attempts to interpret the image and takes shortcuts based on passed experience. The shaded square on the checked board is an great example.

shaded checkered board illusion

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 17:49 Mr. Tact

Wait, a teenager did something stupid? I am shocked. SHOCKED!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 11:49 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 10:51:
Dang, I forgot to make picks for Thursday Night Football in our friendly NFL pool. I'm not usually happy about being wrong, but in this case get to avoid too much frustration with this, as I know I would have picked the Saints both straight up and to beat the minute spread. So yay for picking the loser?
I actually watched most of the game, unusual for TNF since often the games are teams not worth watching. I was one of nine people who actually picked Atlanta and I thought for sure Brees would screw me at the end of the game there. But he threw an Int. instead of a TD. Whew! Oh, and WarPig... back off and give me some space would ya'? Wink

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2017, 12:21.

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
21. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 7, 2017, 23:32 Mr. Tact

Based on Blue's headline I was guessing this was going to be about how Valve had done some bitcoin mining years ago and was selling everything in their wallet. Guess not...  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 21:50 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 20:41:
Also, this was a rat fcking operation: some of the women who accused Al were coached by Republican operatives.
I haven't seen or read that, yet. Whether it is or isn't true, I'm sure many in Alabama think or would say the same about Roy Moore's accusers. Minnesota has a (D) governor, so in the short term it won't change the balance of power in the Senate.

Life sucks and in the end, you die.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 21:09 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 12:16:
https://www.patreon.com/
Yes. Do it. Totally voluntary, no change to how the site is presented.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 21:46 Mr. Tact

Think you messed up your quoting there, jd...  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 15:15 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 14:21:
Almost 30k under mandatory evacuation. California is on fire again.
But the warm winters are great, right?

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 14:02 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 12:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 19:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:45:
The internet people are not a small minority anymore.
Depends on how you definite "internet people". If you mean, people who interact with the Internet in some way on a regular basis, you are correct. If you mean, people who use computers, generally understand how they work, and comprehend the issues which will arise from Ajit Pai's actions -- then you are wrong.

I'm talking people that use it and PAY for it. You don't need to have an understanding beyond cost and restrictions of service.
So you think when this happens and someone's Netflix (or whatever) gets throttled by Comcast or AT&T they'll realize it is because of the change of regulations at the FCC and will blame the GOP and vote them out of office? You my friend are living in fantasy land.

What will happen is Joe Smoe will call his provider and say, "Netfilx isn't working." And the friendly person on the phone will say, "Oh, you probably need to be upgraded to the better bandwidth package. It is only $25 more a month. Would you like me to do that?" And Joe will have no clue that it would work fine if the provider wasn't purposely screwing over Netflix throughput.

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 19:05 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:45:
The internet people are not a small minority anymore.
Depends on how you definite "internet people". If you mean, people who interact with the Internet in some way on a regular basis, you are correct. If you mean, people who use computers, generally understand how they work, and comprehend the issues which will arise from Ajit Pai's actions -- then you are wrong.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 14:13 Mr. Tact

I see you pulled the trigger on firing the coach and GM.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 14:12 Mr. Tact

Now, if the Giant fans could only fire the owner...  

5928 Comments. 297 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo