Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 7846 (Guru)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2019, 10:14 Mr. Tact

In this particular case it looks like we can mostly thank God for the outbreak -- or at least religion.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 16, 2019, 09:09 Mr. Tact

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 07:29:
Welp you lost that bet. Already gone.
I would love to have a recording of the meeting where someone thought it was a good idea to have allowed it in the first place...

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 21:51 Mr. Tact

Lulz. William Barr's grandson understands politics better than Trump.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Right. The launch window is a practical problem, not a technical one. To save fuel you want to launch at a time when Mars is near Earth (relatively), launching when we are on the opposite side of the solar system might be possible, but it just makes everything harder for no good reason.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:58 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 18:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:10:
Hmm, what kind of odds are the London bookies giving on a successful Chinese landing on Mars in 2020? I'd probably be willing to bet against that...

Unmanned, I'm assuming, but even so their window is closing pretty sharply. I would say they're not going to make it by EoY 2020.
This was kind of my point. I wasn't attempting to criticize their ability. I believe current tech can get there in just under a year. So, unless they already have the package ready to go, they'll will definitely be up against a hard deadline in the not too distant future.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 16:19 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 04:42:
I wonder how long his temper tantrum will last this time... Anyone taking bets?
Not taking bets. The worst this about this nonsense is the tantrum was thrown by right wing pundits. The deal was done, passed unanimously in the Senate. The pundits screamed and Trump as he often does, changed his mind based on the last thing he has heard.

It is difficult to see how the mess will get resolved. There are too many GOP senators running in 2020 for them to be willing to be seen "giving in" -- they are afraid the Trump supporters will primary them out. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict at least two more weeks of this. It will take at least that long for the pressure to start to be felt by the GOP senators...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 16:10 Mr. Tact

I'll take your word for it.

However, I would like to say all those chain places aren't terrible. We used to have a Cheddar's here that was pretty damn good. They seemed to have good management. They actually ran what were essentially specials specific to their location. The manager kept an eye on the local prime rib prices and when they dipped sufficient they would have it. Not on the menu, just on the special list on the chalk board. Unfortunately, someone bought the location to build a different restaurant. The owner of the Cheddars's said he was offered a price he couldn't refuse. I was not happy.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 15:10 Mr. Tact

Hmm, what kind of odds are the London bookies giving on a successful Chinese landing on Mars in 2020? I'd probably be willing to bet against that...  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 15:06 Mr. Tact

I don't recall having ever eaten at an Applebee's. Resolving this "controversy" does not seem like enough of a reason to initiate a first visit.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 20:53 Mr. Tact

Oh, cool -- nice service. Will that act as a bypass to # of articles a month blockages?  

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 18:54 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 18:13:
It'll be replaced by the smart eyeball, or iBall.
Yeah, some kind of virtual vision which you see that no one else does. The tech in this area found in the Commonwealth Saga is probably where it will go. With a personal "e-butler" which can filter emails and voice calls however you desire.

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:20 Mr. Tact

It does? Weird. I don't have an account with WSJ. Stupid Internet!  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Steam now has 30,000 games… Jan 13, 2019, 14:19 Mr. Tact

Okay, whatever. What we want to know is who has the account with the most games..  

2. Re: maging ever closer to the event horizon. Jan 13, 2019, 14:14 Mr. Tact

Was reading the other day that apparently in certain situations, they are able to calculate the likely (they can't be sure) rotational speed of some black holes -- and they found one rotating at half the speed of light. Mind boggling...  

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 14:10 Mr. Tact

Here is a link to the actual WSJ article about the smartphone era ending, instead of a Linked-In page of comments about it. It is a bunch of nonsense. Decreasing sales simply indicate more people are waiting longer to replace their phones. Smartphones are going to be around for a while longer...  

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 13:04 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 12:57:
I dunno man, I see a lot of memes about how people find a new show on Netflix and sit there like a lump going through all 8 seasons or whatever, then suddenly it's two days later. That's what the non-gamer types are doing these days, though they're also on their phones the entire time, I'm sure.
Or even watching it on their phones.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 13:03 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 12:44:
You played Alliance, didn't you.
Started Alliance, the whole guild went Horde (and changed servers) for Cataclysm.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 11:28:
Right... I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life gaming than anyone else I know, and my record for a consecutive session is mayyybe 15 hours.
Wimp!

I think my best approaches 20 hours, but it is not like I was ever keeping track. More impressive/crazy/stupid/whatever was when I was playing WoW 50-60 hours a week while working a full time job. Did that for over a year.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:56 Mr. Tact

Alright, I looked at the fee structure link you posted. You really feel them taking 5% off the top is excessive? So, you are looking to bomb Valve's offices I take it? (just kidding - and yes, I realize Steam has a much greater overhead) Could they "just swipe" my credit card for a lower fee? Sure. But based on what I know about the compensation given to creators for ads it makes even a $1 contribution look impressive.

Anyway, to repeat -- Yes, I would like Blue to setup an account so I could give him some money in support of this site I use nearly every day. However, if there is a better/preferable tool to accomplish the same thing, I'm likely to be fine with it.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:01 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 10:11:
But I hate Patreon's exorbitant processing fees.
Really? Interesting. The YouTubers I've heard talk about Patreon all talk about how if you donate $1 a month they will receive more money than if you watch 1,000 ads a month.

I also support the idea of a Patreon account for Blue's News, but if there is a better application/system/whatever, I probably won't object.

7846 Comments. 393 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo